7.5

1. Aug 27, 2012
    Starship Troopers is one of the most misunderstood movies of all time. Its cheesy acting, its extreme violence, its incredible visuals. It does these things so well that people misunderstand it. It pretends to be an action movie while it's much more than that. What's so incredible about the movie is that it suggests that Americans and Nazi's with their propaganda are just the same when it they are at war. They were/are both full of irrational hatred(''First comes sorrow, then anger'') when they are at war. This movie has a message, it's an anti-war movie. ''People seem to have this strange idea that films can influence people to be violent, but in my sincere opinion film only reflects the violence of society.'' a quote from the director himself. He did the same with Robocop, but in this movie it's harder to notice.

I find it very hard to explain it's message so if you think this movie is just a dumb action movie watch the film-commentary of the movie. It explains it all.
  2. Jun 9, 2012
    Very humoristic movie and entertaining, it's a pity that the sequels didn't get to the same level. First thought this as a B-class movie, and that it was, in the best possible way.
  3. Feb 17, 2013
    Awe man where to start with this one. The film is ultimate cheesy goodness. The plot, dialogue, and a few of the action scenes are goofy as hell and make it hard to take the movie seriously at times but then you get awesome alien killing action and the overall tone of the film feeling like a parody of modern war films. All of the war propaganda and the whole reasoning for the war seemed to share a lot of similarities despite the fact that these are alien bugs we are fighting. I suppose the message would be that war is war no matter who the enemy. Back to the cheesyness tho since this seems to be where the movie really gets it personallity. Spoiler time! Dizzies character constantly made me laugh. The way shes always trying to hard to get her man and making obviously jealous faces and denise richards. This was, well, cheesey and then when she passes you feel bad for her character but cant help but laugh at her passing words. Another part that had me constantly shaking my head was how each character "coincidentaly" continue to run into each other no matter where they go, its incredibly unbelievable but its easy to get over because in a money like this, it kind of fits. One other notworthy part would be the stupid football play they do where buddy does the funny looking flip over his oponents and then they decide to use it in combat, you all know what part im talking about, its comedy. Now going hand in hand with the cheesyness is the awesomeness, and by this i mean the battle scenes against the aliens. These scenes are incredibly gory to a point that its almost suprising and unexpected. I loved every inute of it.
    Starship troopers is a badass sci fi, alien war movie that has to be seen to believe. Check it out.
  4. Nov 26, 2013
    They're doing their part. Are you? Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

i'm doing my part.
    would you like to know more????

It's exactly like "Star Wars" -- if you subtract a good story, sympathetic characters, intelligence, wit and moral purpose.
    Faithfully represents Heinlein's militarism, his Big Brother state, and a value system in which the highest good is to kill a friend before the Bugs can eat him. The underlying ideas are the most interesting aspect of the film.
  3. Paul Verhoeven's movie takes more action than ideas from Robert A. Heinlein's 1959 novel, which is just as well, considering the book's goofy suggestion that military veterans should control society from top to bottom.