7.7

1. Dec 16, 2014
    One of my favourite movies of all time. Some people went in to see some political revival of the novel series, but the director took a more light and satirical look at the premise. The technology simply wasn't there at the time to do bugs, power armour and realistic other races etc. There was no point in having any of that being done half-assed. They went with the Core, the bugs, thenOne of my favourite movies of all time. Some people went in to see some political revival of the novel series, but the director took a more light and satirical look at the premise. The technology simply wasn't there at the time to do bugs, power armour and realistic other races etc. There was no point in having any of that being done half-assed. They went with the Core, the bugs, then built a story around that.

I can watch this movie over and over, and only 4 other movies have that same award, True Lies being one of those.

This movie was nothing like the book, and it wasn't supposed to be. I liked the book a lot, and I liked this movie a lot. They were different entities, anyone not getting that missed the point.

Sure, if they do a revival they can expand on some of it, but to capture the book they will need to make a trilogy or more films, and that is doubtful, as it isn't a recent Teen-bought novel series.
  2. Aug 9, 2014
    I absolutely loathe this film. While the visual effects may be impressive, the acting and the script is pure Hollywood hogwash. The main characters are so irritating, with their arrogant and cocky nature and hammy script that I was hoping that a giant insect would appear and gobble them all up instantly.
    This film has no merit in terms of imagination, acting or story telling, and so I would recommend it only to spotty 15 year old boys who have no intelligence or imagination and think that playing on Call of Duty for 23 hours a day is cool. One of the worst films I've seen.
  3. May 27, 2014
    "This is for all you new people: I only have one rule. Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?"

Starship Troopers is such a underrated movie and clearly seeing by the 6.4 rating here on Listal most the people just don't see how awesome this movie is. With an entertaining plot supported by a great cast and a great mix of gory action and cheesy dialog its for sure one of my favorite sci-fi action movies of all time its also another one of the many great action flicks i grew up on. Paul Verhoeven director of other great action movies like RoboCop and Total Recall has always been one of my favorite directors and it saddens me to see to see his great movies get Hollywood remade and they just end up being total garbage seriously both the 2012 remake of Total Recall and 2014's RoboCop remake sucked hardcore.

The film follows Johnny Rico(Casper Van Dien) a high school jock and soon school will be over and he is not 100% sure what to do. After graduation he finally decides to enlist into the military as combat infantry because his girlfriend Carmen Ibanez(Denise Richards) is also going into the military but as a spaceship pilot. During combat training war breaks out when a alien bug race sends a meteor to earth destroying Rico's home city. Soon Rico and others are shipped out to war but they find that they underestimated the bugs and many more people die, we soon see him go from a rookie to a seasoned solider leading his own squad. The film has some great gory action scenes no short of seeing people get their body gets ripped apart also the CGI was amazing for its time, the spaceships, planets, alien plasma, all looked great.

Another great thing about the movie was both Denise Richards and Dina Meyer sure Denise's character was annoying and i personally would rather had they kill her off rather then Dizzy(Dina Meyer) but they both are sexy as hell in the movie, even today they still look great i don't care what anyone says also great seeing Neil Patrick Harris in this however little that my be.
  4. May 6, 2014
    This movie has not aged well. Blu Ray and DVD ports look terrible. Clearly no one in production took the possibility that one day Hi-Def would become the norm. Honestly, the movie's CG effects look on par with something from the 80s.

Enough with my b**ching. I still love this movie. I remember watching this in the cinema on opening night. It was AWESOME! Clearly not meant to be taken seriously and felt very much like a camp version of Aliens. At the time this movie felt different and its almost goofy approach was different and made this movie stand out amongst the sea of Sci-Fi movies that saturated the late 90s.

I will grade this movie based on what I think of it now and when I first saw it. DVD/Blu Ray quality do not factor.

Overall:
    Starship Troopers is a silly stupid high budget Sci-Fi movie that knows what it is and plays that angle to the extreme. While I do get why there are those who do not like it. I loved it and this movie will always hold a special place in my Sci-Fi heart.

Side Note:
    Can some one PLEASE make a better Hi-def adaptation of this! The current versions are truly awful.
  5. Jan 7, 2014
    This is incredibly entertaining on multiple levels, very simply. I don't now how else to explain it. It's incredibly fun to watch, although a bit awkward at parts... *ahem* Anyways, I really do like it a lot, in an odd sort of way.
  6. Nov 26, 2013
    They're doing their part. Are you? Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

i'm doing my part.
    would you like to know more????
  7. Feb 17, 2013
    Awe man where to start with this one. The film is ultimate cheesy goodness. The plot, dialogue, and a few of the action scenes are goofy as hell and make it hard to take the movie seriously at times but then you get awesome alien killing action and the overall tone of the film feeling like a parody of modern war films. All of the war propaganda and the whole reasoning for the war seemed toAwe man where to start with this one. The film is ultimate cheesy goodness. The plot, dialogue, and a few of the action scenes are goofy as hell and make it hard to take the movie seriously at times but then you get awesome alien killing action and the overall tone of the film feeling like a parody of modern war films. All of the war propaganda and the whole reasoning for the war seemed to share a lot of similarities despite the fact that these are alien bugs we are fighting. I suppose the message would be that war is war no matter who the enemy. Back to the cheesyness tho since this seems to be where the movie really gets it personallity. Spoiler time! Dizzies character constantly made me laugh. The way shes always trying to hard to get her man and making obviously jealous faces and denise richards. This was, well, cheesey and then when she passes you feel bad for her character but cant help but laugh at her passing words. Another part that had me constantly shaking my head was how each character "coincidentaly" continue to run into each other no matter where they go, its incredibly unbelievable but its easy to get over because in a money like this, it kind of fits. One other notworthy part would be the stupid football play they do where buddy does the funny looking flip over his oponents and then they decide to use it in combat, you all know what part im talking about, its comedy. Now going hand in hand with the cheesyness is the awesomeness, and by this i mean the battle scenes against the aliens. These scenes are incredibly gory to a point that its almost suprising and unexpected. I loved every inute of it.
    Starship troopers is a badass sci fi, alien war movie that has to be seen to believe. Check it out.
  8. Nov 23, 2012
    This movie is a guilty pleasure, but is nonetheless one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Starship Troopers embraces its over-the-top characters and cheesy sci-fi action to make a fun movie which still presents some truly interesting ideas. Unlike the novel on which it is based, this film is all about action rather than thoughtful reflection. If you want a deep movie then look elsewhere, butThis movie is a guilty pleasure, but is nonetheless one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Starship Troopers embraces its over-the-top characters and cheesy sci-fi action to make a fun movie which still presents some truly interesting ideas. Unlike the novel on which it is based, this film is all about action rather than thoughtful reflection. If you want a deep movie then look elsewhere, but if space soldiers fighting giant bugs sounds like a good time, then this will keep you entertained. Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2012
    Much like Transformers, you can only enjoy this movie if you can settle with solid special effects, boatloads of bullets, severed limbs and explosions, and awful characters and horrendous script. And causal nudity. Nothing more then a guilty pleasure, through and through.
  10. Aug 27, 2012
    Starship Troopers is one of the most misunderstood movies of all time. Its cheesy acting, its extreme violence, its incredible visuals. It does these things so well that people misunderstand it. It pretends to be an action movie while it's much more than that. What's so incredible about the movie is that it suggests that Americans and Nazi's with their propaganda are just the sameStarship Troopers is one of the most misunderstood movies of all time. Its cheesy acting, its extreme violence, its incredible visuals. It does these things so well that people misunderstand it. It pretends to be an action movie while it's much more than that. What's so incredible about the movie is that it suggests that Americans and Nazi's with their propaganda are just the same when it they are at war. They were/are both full of irrational hatred(''First comes sorrow, then anger'') when they are at war. This movie has a message, it's an anti-war movie. ''People seem to have this strange idea that films can influence people to be violent, but in my sincere opinion film only reflects the violence of society.'' a quote from the director himself. He did the same with Robocop, but in this movie it's harder to notice.

I find it very hard to explain it's message so if you think this movie is just a dumb action movie watch the film-commentary of the movie. It explains it all.
  11. Jun 9, 2012
    Very humoristic movie and entertaining, it's a pity that the sequels didn't get to the same level. First thought this as a B-class movie, and that it was, in the best possible way.
  12. Feb 3, 2012
    Tongue and cheek sci fi at its best. Doesn't take itself too seriously and once you don't take the movie too seriously either and enjoy it for what it, is a human kick alien butt sci-fi action movie with major plot holes, unbelievable swings/changes in how the aliens act and characters so wooden you could build a raft with them, 50's B movie stock given a nineties twist....classic.
  13. Sep 28, 2011
    I gotta say... I **** hate this goddamn movie. It's sad, cause I remembering being a kid, sitting in a theater and first seeing the trailer for the movie back in the day, and thinking that this was gonna be the greatest movie ever made. Because it looked like everything a 12 year old boy would like. It was a huge galactic war against hordes of giant vicious aliens and there were enormousI gotta say... I **** hate this goddamn movie. It's sad, cause I remembering being a kid, sitting in a theater and first seeing the trailer for the movie back in the day, and thinking that this was gonna be the greatest movie ever made. Because it looked like everything a 12 year old boy would like. It was a huge galactic war against hordes of giant vicious aliens and there were enormous military starships and marines with big guns and they use nukes and there's blood and guts and heroism. What's not to like, right? It basically looked like a 90s version of James Cameron's Aliens, with all the advantages of modern CGI (This was back in 1997, back before we learned how **** CGI could be). Also, I read the book, and really liked it. So... big big fan and uh, eagerly awaited the release.

And then it finally came out and... man, it was NOT a 90s version of James Cameron's Aliens. Not at all. It was this ****ty mess with horrible acting from terrible yet attractive actors and this silly comedic tone and idiotic tactics like parking your starships all together so they're sitting ducks and crashing into one another with the slightest provocation. And uh, Dina Meyers was flat.

Probably the most disappointing film I've ever seen.
  14. Feb 18, 2011
    A moderately entertaining but incredibly stupid action flick that doesn't even come close to the book. Grab some popcorn and turn off your brain and it'll be pretty decent, but don't expect anything incredible.
  15. Dec 16, 2010
    Different at the time.... rather funny and great anti war type of message to it. I saw it on cable first but I have to admit I've watched it a few times since through the years. Worth watching and there is definitely much worse ways to spend time.
  16. Sep 10, 2010
    Horrifically cheesy. I'm still trying to decide whether or not this film wants its audience to take it seriously. Even if it doesn't, as a satire it still remains as a big fat nothing of a blockbuster - all attempts at drama die in seconds and tragedy doesn't seem to exist in this ridiculous space age. Of course the themes are 'there' but what of them? The film makes no effort to extend aHorrifically cheesy. I'm still trying to decide whether or not this film wants its audience to take it seriously. Even if it doesn't, as a satire it still remains as a big fat nothing of a blockbuster - all attempts at drama die in seconds and tragedy doesn't seem to exist in this ridiculous space age. Of course the themes are 'there' but what of them? The film makes no effort to extend a single message, or point. If it's not supposed to be taken seriously, the film sure fails at making that clear in the first place. Expand
  17. Aug 19, 2010
    Works much better as a satire then an action movie and as a satire it's pretty good. Not exactly 'Dr Strangelove' or 'Brazil' but still works in it's own way! The major problem I have with this film is they're the least convincing high school students ever to be put into film. Also Satire is supposed to be at least a bit light hearted while this takes itself more seriously then 'The Postman'

It's exactly like "Star Wars" -- if you subtract a good story, sympathetic characters, intelligence, wit and moral purpose.
    Faithfully represents Heinlein's militarism, his Big Brother state, and a value system in which the highest good is to kill a friend before the Bugs can eat him. The underlying ideas are the most interesting aspect of the film.
  3. Paul Verhoeven's movie takes more action than ideas from Robert A. Heinlein's 1959 novel, which is just as well, considering the book's goofy suggestion that military veterans should control society from top to bottom.