Starship Troopers

8.7

1. Sep 10, 2010
    Horrifically cheesy. I'm still trying to decide whether or not this film wants its audience to take it seriously. Even if it doesn't, as a satire it still remains as a big fat nothing of a blockbuster - all attempts at drama die in seconds and tragedy doesn't seem to exist in this ridiculous space age. Of course the themes are 'there' but what of them? The film makes no effort to extend aHorrifically cheesy. I'm still trying to decide whether or not this film wants its audience to take it seriously. Even if it doesn't, as a satire it still remains as a big fat nothing of a blockbuster - all attempts at drama die in seconds and tragedy doesn't seem to exist in this ridiculous space age. Of course the themes are 'there' but what of them? The film makes no effort to extend a single message, or point. If it's not supposed to be taken seriously, the film sure fails at making that clear in the first place. Expand
  2. Aug 9, 2014
    I absolutely loathe this film. While the visual effects may be impressive, the acting and the script is pure Hollywood hogwash. The main characters are so irritating, with their arrogant and cocky nature and hammy script that I was hoping that a giant insect would appear and gobble them all up instantly.
    This film has no merit in terms of imagination, acting or story telling, and so I would recommend it only to spotty 15 year old boys who have no intelligence or imagination and think that playing on Call of Duty for 23 hours a day is cool. One of the worst films I've seen.
  3. FluxX.
    Oct 6, 2005
    Astonishingly awful film, thanks to the plot and dialogue and acting. I think that's why I dislike it so; since they had the special effects and budget and even the fascist satire angle to make a good film. They just ruined it with the impossibly insipid cutie teen actors and the complete idiocy of their every action. If you completely unplug your brain you might be able to sit Astonishingly awful film, thanks to the plot and dialogue and acting. I think that's why I dislike it so; since they had the special effects and budget and even the fascist satire angle to make a good film. They just ruined it with the impossibly insipid cutie teen actors and the complete idiocy of their every action. If you completely unplug your brain you might be able to sit through this one for the pretty colors and explosions, but any thought will doom your enjoyment. Why do humans go down on planets that are death traps? Why don't they have insecticide or lasers or virtually anything that would work better than the completely ineffective machine guns? Why don't humans just nuke all the planets? How did the bugs evolve their abilities to shoot things into orbit? How do the bugs live without any food or water on their planets? How do they throw a rock millions of lightyears through space in a few months without space ships or any sort of technology? How can they aim it once they throw it? Why didn't they just throw a rock big enough to extinguish life on earth in the first place? I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Dumbest movie ever. Expand
  4. Sep 28, 2011
    I gotta say... I **** hate this goddamn movie. It's sad, cause I remembering being a kid, sitting in a theater and first seeing the trailer for the movie back in the day, and thinking that this was gonna be the greatest movie ever made. Because it looked like everything a 12 year old boy would like. It was a huge galactic war against hordes of giant vicious aliens and there were enormousI gotta say... I **** hate this goddamn movie. It's sad, cause I remembering being a kid, sitting in a theater and first seeing the trailer for the movie back in the day, and thinking that this was gonna be the greatest movie ever made. Because it looked like everything a 12 year old boy would like. It was a huge galactic war against hordes of giant vicious aliens and there were enormous military starships and marines with big guns and they use nukes and there's blood and guts and heroism. What's not to like, right? It basically looked like a 90s version of James Cameron's Aliens, with all the advantages of modern CGI (This was back in 1997, back before we learned how **** CGI could be). Also, I read the book, and really liked it. So... big big fan and uh, eagerly awaited the release.

And then it finally came out and... man, it was NOT a 90s version of James Cameron's Aliens. Not at all. It was this ****ty mess with horrible acting from terrible yet attractive actors and this silly comedic tone and idiotic tactics like parking your starships all together so they're sitting ducks and crashing into one another with the slightest provocation. And uh, Dina Meyers was flat.

Probably the most disappointing film I've ever seen.

It's exactly like "Star Wars" -- if you subtract a good story, sympathetic characters, intelligence, wit and moral purpose.
    Faithfully represents Heinlein's militarism, his Big Brother state, and a value system in which the highest good is to kill a friend before the Bugs can eat him. The underlying ideas are the most interesting aspect of the film.
  3. Paul Verhoeven's movie takes more action than ideas from Robert A. Heinlein's 1959 novel, which is just as well, considering the book's goofy suggestion that military veterans should control society from top to bottom.