7.1

1. Mar 24, 2011
    What might one expect from the combination of Will Ferell and John C Reilly? They gave us that inane Nascar race flick, so we should know well just what exactly their product would be. I do like their daring and resourcefulness though - in a time of serious, realistic movies, they dare producing something so inane and ludicruously and purposely-funny and yet, they turn in performances thatWhat might one expect from the combination of Will Ferell and John C Reilly? They gave us that inane Nascar race flick, so we should know well just what exactly their product would be. I do like their daring and resourcefulness though - in a time of serious, realistic movies, they dare producing something so inane and ludicruously and purposely-funny and yet, they turn in performances that are just right for their parts. The movie's theme might be a bit too unusual, but both Ferell and Reilly are perfect in their depictions. I do wonder - if a 40-year-old man WERE unemployed and staying home with their parents, would they also be as child-like and immature like these two? Or is it just a comedy no-brains flick that Ferell and Reilly would have us believe?? I would like to hope that there is a social message here somewhere, but of course, if they had acted like grownups, that might have totally ruined it! Robert Jenkins and Mary Steenburgen are good together, but at times, I really cringed at how low Jenkins might stoop to - his character is empty and has absolutely no substance. I do feel for Steenburgen, her empathy for her two sons, her moving-on-with-what-my-life-really-is countenance is impressive. But obviously, if the perfect ending hadn't happened, if Jenkins and Steenburgen's characters hadn't got back together again, and the elder brother, Derek, hadn't piped down, it wouldn't have been a comedy flick, would it? Seriously, Ferell's testicle-scene was the last straw - it was totally unnecessary and absolutely disgusting. But then again, what reason and logic do we expect from Ferell anymore? I'd go with his Megamind depiction anyday than this disgust of a movie! This doesn't mean that he's not funny, he is, but at times, he can just be too uncontrollable and too inane. If only Ferell-Reilly could come up with a serious, mature subject and show their true talents, I'd be delighted! Expand
  2. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Horrible. Is one of many negative things I could say about this movie. I probably laughed once or twice, and I don't even remember when that was. That's how forgettable this movie is or unforgivable considering Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly star in this piece of crap. The f word can be funny in a lot of instances, but this movie finds a way to make it offensive to EVERYBODY. Good jobHorrible. Is one of many negative things I could say about this movie. I probably laughed once or twice, and I don't even remember when that was. That's how forgettable this movie is or unforgivable considering Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly star in this piece of crap. The f word can be funny in a lot of instances, but this movie finds a way to make it offensive to EVERYBODY. Good job guys way to make this movie fun for nobody. The story, the acting, and the humor is all wrong. I was excited to see this film for the stupidity and escapism, but I feel cheated. Anybody can act like a child, so who really wants to see somebody else do it? Expand
  3. May 24, 2013
    Too much (stupid) over-the-top humor for me to bear. The cast really gives it their all here, and it shows; Ferrell and Reilly are alarmingly convincing, and there are a couple of good laughs, but for the most part, Step Brothers is almost unbearable to watch.
  4. Nov 15, 2013
    Watched this for the first time ever, and to be honest I don't see what everyone found so funny about it. I rarely laughed. The writing was very poor and so where the characters. It was crude but unfunny. One of Will Ferrell's worst films.

1. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    Not to wax too serious here (since this is, after all, a movie in which two nearly middle-aged men beat each other over the heads with blunt instruments on their front lawn), but ticking away just beneath Step Brothers' freely associative surface is a fairly astute commentary on how we define such abstract concepts as "growing up" and "making something of yourself."
    Step Brothers has comic fuel to burn, some of it unashamedly non sequitur and stupid-brilliant, but it still feels like a post-"Talladega" flameout.
    In Step Brothers, the language is simply showing off by talking dirty. It serves no comic function, and just sort of sits there in the air, making me cringe.