Step Brothers

7.9

1. Aug 12, 2010
    I own very few movies, but I do own Step Brothers on DVD. For my money, it doesn't get better than Step Brothers. The characters are extremely over-the-top, the plot is hilarious and the jokes never stop. From the opening credits to the final scene, this movie delivers the funny. You can't expect any high-brow humor here. But the cursing, potty humor, clever plot twists, obscureI own very few movies, but I do own Step Brothers on DVD. For my money, it doesn't get better than Step Brothers. The characters are extremely over-the-top, the plot is hilarious and the jokes never stop. From the opening credits to the final scene, this movie delivers the funny. You can't expect any high-brow humor here. But the cursing, potty humor, clever plot twists, obscure references and subtle comedy is by far one of my favorite movies. It's full of one-liners that you feel compelled to imitate. As a side note, the DVD has great extra features. If you get a chance, listen to the commentary. It's just as funny as the movie itself. Best: John C. Reilly and Will Ferrell's AWESOME comedic chemistry.
    Worst: No sequel.
  2. KennyH.
    Jul 30, 2008
    Funniest movie I have ever seen, my favorite movie for decades to come. Whoever trah talks this movie can kiss my a**.
  3. Feb 13, 2011
    One of the funniest movies I have ever seen, it gets funnier each time I watch it. Also, all the one-liners in this movie are great, way too funny.
  4. Harry
    Sep 20, 2008
    Great joke after joke, it seems they forced the cussing in at points which was out of place but hey it's there movie, I'm a totally buy it and those 2 are great pair and this with talledega nights totally showed that.
  5. MorganP.
    Jul 26, 2008
    Funny. Just funny. I was laughing the entire movie, and then about a half an hour after the movie ended. Funniest movie this year.
  6. concretetester
    Jul 26, 2008
    This movie is hilarious. At times slightly uneven, Too much for little kids. Think combination of funny 40 year old virgin, American Pie(s), and Sleepless in Seattle.
  7. VidM
    Aug 16, 2008
    HIGH-LARIOUS! This is a stupid, bralinless, awesome comedy.
  8. Brianna
    Aug 17, 2008
    I thought it was really funny. My family enjoyed it a lot and we would, definitely, all go see it again.
  9. MannyF.
    Aug 4, 2008
    All the negative user reviews on this film sound like their coming from the uptight, tight -haired school marm from your local all girls prep school. Sniveling and pretentious. This movie is funny folks, hands down. If you haven't seen already, do so this weekend.
  10. KT.
    Sep 22, 2008
    I am fed up of these kind of comedies being criticized. The only comedies that get a fair review are the Little miss sunshine/Darjiling Limited type comedies. Step Brothers was very funny and has kept us laughing since.
  11. ShaneG.
    Nov 7, 2008
    This movie really reminded me of myself and my brother when we were say, 10 and 12. So I laughed a lot. The critics are stupid, they don't understand what true comedy is. Movies critics have said are hilarious have sucked horribly, and ones they hate I usually love.
  12. TimothyZ
    Dec 2, 2008
    For people who say they like Farrell and Reilly and really wanted to like this movie. I cant see how they didnt like this movie. Sure it wasnt appropriate for kids its rated R for a reason. It made me laugh through out the whole movie. Alot of the humor was raunchy and crude but it was still humor and funny at that.!!!
  13. MichelleP.
    Dec 23, 2008
    This movie is awesome! It was so funny! Im still laughing when i think of it... "boats and ho's" Two thumbs up!
  14. Mark
    Dec 7, 2008
    I was completely surprised at how funny I thought this movie was. Thought I liked some of Ferrel's previous movies I was never a big fan of them and thought "more of the same" from this one. And it is more of the same - but this time it was funny!
  15. MikeM.
    Jul 16, 2008
    Probably the funniest movie I've ever seen PERIOD. MUST SEE instant cult classic.
  16. RafaelR.
    Jul 25, 2008
    This movie keeps you laughing throughout the entire film. This film is definitely one of Ferrel's best if not Best.
  17. ChadS.
    Jul 26, 2008
    1987 is not just the address of the Doback household; the innocuous number also serves as a disquieting reminder for a seemingly imperturable father, that his quiet, middle-class life since Ronald Reagan's last days in the Oval Office, can be encapsulated thusly, in short order: lemons, or lemonade. 1987 is the year his son Dale(John C. Reilly) stopped growing up. During the course 1987 is not just the address of the Doback household; the innocuous number also serves as a disquieting reminder for a seemingly imperturable father, that his quiet, middle-class life since Ronald Reagan's last days in the Oval Office, can be encapsulated thusly, in short order: lemons, or lemonade. 1987 is the year his son Dale(John C. Reilly) stopped growing up. During the course of some out-of-state business-related speaking engagement, anti-serendipidity stares him in the face from his podium on the stage. Enter Nancy(Mary Steenburgen). She has baggage, too. In fact, it's matching; hirsute baggage, with no silver lining, just like Robert's(Richard Jenkins). Don't let the presence of Will Ferrell fool you. As Brennan Huff, a(holy crap!) Pablo Cruise fan(in Adam Rapp's "Winter Passing", Ferrell's character stops wearing eyeliner because it's "too Adam Ant"), the former-SNL performer carries around his usual bag of absurdist schtick, but this time, his lavish buffoonery is framed by a setting that unsettles the viewer with complicated laughs. Inside "Stepbrothers" beats an indie heart that inevitably receives a dose of Hollywood atenonol, but not before the pathology of arrested development becomes self-evident, when the elder Doback's good will for his son is finally all tapped out. For a few tantalizing moments, the surface gloss that effaces the familial corrosion underneath the lowbrow hijinks of Ferrell and Reilly's physical comedy, is smudged. Something substantially dark manages to peek through. There's real anguish in Jenkins' face over his disappointing son that goes beyond standard comedy fare. Before the two brothers complete their character arcs, "Stepbrothers", in the time being, discomfits Hollywood protocol by being "The Brady Bunch" meets "Chuck and Buck"(Miguel Artega's 2000 film about a man-child who tries to reconnect with his romper room buddy). "Stepbrothers" has more in common with Todd Solondz's "Happiness" than Adam McKay's previous film "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby". It's a shame that the institutionalized norm of major studio films, especially summer fare, dictates that all stories must strive to end happily, which predicates a change in narrative trajectory, that ultimately, feels grafted on, and ends up ringing false to the viewer. Especially, in this instance, because things get surprisingly hairy in "Stepbrothers" for awhile there, and I'm not talking about John C. Reilly's self-described "pube fro". Expand
  18. StevenC.
    Jul 27, 2008
    I judge comedies on one thing, laughter; and now one day later I'm still cracking up. I was crying and gasping for air and my stomach ached - it's that funny. Pay no attention to stodgy critics, I was in a packe theatre of teens and the entire audience was in stitches.
  19. BobBob
    Jul 27, 2008
    Will Ferrell has made some clunkers, so I was not expecting to laugh out loud for almost the entire running time (and into the credits) Please note: crude situations and foul, funny language
  20. SimonM.
    Jul 28, 2008
    It is what it is and that considered, it is great! I really enjoyed this film more than Ferrell's last pic "Semi-Pro". This time out I was laughing the entire movie thru! If that isn't what defines a great comedy then I don't know what does! :P
  21. RobertM.
    Jul 30, 2008
    Very good, but not great. There were parts in the movie where the tears were streaming down my face. A couple of jokes did fall flat, but almost every comedy has those. The difference is how many of those awkward slience jokes are there, and Step Brothers has a few but the majority is laugh out loud funny.
  22. Purgs
    Aug 1, 2008
    Hilarious! My expectations were low and it blew me away with shit-your-pants laughter! Awesome!
  23. JeffG.
    Aug 10, 2008
    More enjoyable than Knocked Up and Superbad combined. Yeah it's the kind of movie critics love to dismiss as infantile and crude, which of course it is. It's also funny. Loved the ending.
  24. TylerD.
    Aug 10, 2008
    I saw this with my brother and at times we were both crying out of laughter. There are some jokes that don't quite reach what they were aiming for, but they're few and far between. One has to wonder how much longer Will Ferrell can keep up the same act, though. Anyways, I highly recommend this to any fan of his previous stuff. It was hilarious.
  25. JordanR
    Aug 19, 2008
    This movie is a comedy and nothing more. It is perfect for what it is and gets a good laugh, although silly. The Humor is quite low brow and slapstick but does it very well.
  26. Devon
    Aug 2, 2008
    I expected the worst out of this movie, but it ended up being hilarious. Definitely some of the crudest humor around, but definitely satisfying.
  27. GregB.
    Aug 4, 2008
    I thought this movie was hilarious. I think it was half a notch bellow Anchorman and Old School. It was almost as funny as those movies.
  28. BillK
    Jan 10, 2009
    While I can enjoy Will Ferrel in his comedy's, I usually prefer to wait until they're on DVD. Step Brothers, however, I think was worthy of a full price admission to the theater! I think it was one of his very best. My favorite character/actor in the film HAD to be Will Ferrel's sister-in-law... I don't know the characters name nor the actresses name, but the scene While I can enjoy Will Ferrel in his comedy's, I usually prefer to wait until they're on DVD. Step Brothers, however, I think was worthy of a full price admission to the theater! I think it was one of his very best. My favorite character/actor in the film HAD to be Will Ferrel's sister-in-law... I don't know the characters name nor the actresses name, but the scene where she first "opens up" to Will Ferrel's character is hysterical! And, her character and acting is superb through out the film! Expand
  29. CodyP.
    Feb 26, 2009
    This was a great movie and if you don't enjoy the movie you have to check to see if you have a pulse this is down right halirous.
  30. SunshineW
    Dec 11, 2008
    Ferrell-Reilly chemistry is solid. This film is full of terrific one-liners, and you never feel like they have to set you up for a laugh. Funny stuff just happens left and right. There was room for a more meaningful satire, but I really don't blame them for taking the dumber, more lighthearted road.
  31. KyleV.
    Dec 15, 2008
    Possibly the funniest movie I've seen in years. Anyone who has grown up with brothers or has raised brothers of close age will relate to the otherwise seen as "stupid" humor. It is a great take on realities of brotherly love/hate, an enabler mother, a successful father, a jerk brother (Derek), and adds the rediculous improv capabilities by the Ferrell/Riely clique to make a somewhat Possibly the funniest movie I've seen in years. Anyone who has grown up with brothers or has raised brothers of close age will relate to the otherwise seen as "stupid" humor. It is a great take on realities of brotherly love/hate, an enabler mother, a successful father, a jerk brother (Derek), and adds the rediculous improv capabilities by the Ferrell/Riely clique to make a somewhat unique and absolutely funny movie. Let's not forget to mention that all of this is added to the fact that these guys are 15+ years past their welcome at home. I'm sorry, but if you don't like this movie, you probably can't relate to having young (or in this case older) men in the house! Expand
  32. JohnC.
    Dec 6, 2008
    This movie was hilarious. Had all of us in stitches laughing are @sses off. Anyone who doesn't l;ike this movie probably relates to a 40's loser.
  33. Andrew
    Jul 24, 2008
    Best Movie Of The Summer!
  34. PanmdM.
    Jul 25, 2008
    This movie was freakin' awesome! Will Ferrell & John C. Reilly are such a great team!
  35. PaulF.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Step Brothers definitely had it's funny moments however relied too heavily on shock value and unrealistic and extreme circumstances. This is not to say there were not some golden moments and that the film in general is not worth seeing. It is. It is just that if you have any sort of spiritualness about you it sort of leaves you feeling mixed inside. I'm not sure the film reallly Step Brothers definitely had it's funny moments however relied too heavily on shock value and unrealistic and extreme circumstances. This is not to say there were not some golden moments and that the film in general is not worth seeing. It is. It is just that if you have any sort of spiritualness about you it sort of leaves you feeling mixed inside. I'm not sure the film reallly was about values nor really teaching anything at all. It was just a manager of one over the top moment after the other. Sure I found myself laughing a lot but it was more of a craziness than a true joy. I'm sure many people will either absolutely love or hate this movie but I might be one of those odd ones that falls in the middle. Expand
  36. EricG
    Jul 27, 2008
    "I tea bagged your drumset" nuff said...funniest comedy EVER!!!!
  37. MikeS.
    Jul 28, 2008
    This movie was insanely funny the whole entire time. If you're a huge fan of Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly then you are going to love this movie. I saw it twice already.
  38. DanielC.
    Aug 24, 2008
    If you can handle a lot of crude humor, this one is highly recommended.
  39. shaunm
    Apr 19, 2009
    This may be the funniest movie I have ever seen!!! watched it twice in a row and laughed just as hard
  40. MovieExpert
    Aug 15, 2009
    Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are comedic geniuses. The whole man-child concept makes it great to rewatch it on cable, and a great movie to own on DVD. Loved the parts with Richard Jenkins, Mary Steenburgen, and Derek from Party Down. Lots of gut-busting humor, as it will be drenched with soy sauce. As Huff and Doback say, 'boats and hoes!'
  41. sVc
    Dec 14, 2008
    This move is alot more stupid than most Will Farrell movies. And there are some moments that are truly not funny and way over the top. However, I laughed continuously throughtout the whole thing. And it was great seeing Richard Jenkins in tis kind of movie. The bunkbed scene, the scene outside when Will Farrell was trying to bury John C. Reilly and especially the scene w/ Kathryn Hahn- if This move is alot more stupid than most Will Farrell movies. And there are some moments that are truly not funny and way over the top. However, I laughed continuously throughtout the whole thing. And it was great seeing Richard Jenkins in tis kind of movie. The bunkbed scene, the scene outside when Will Farrell was trying to bury John C. Reilly and especially the scene w/ Kathryn Hahn- if you've seen the movie, then you know which one I'm talking about ("I wanna to roll you into a little ball...")- all made me laughing so hard I had to pause the movie. Collapse
  42. Feb 19, 2011
    Step Brothers is a hilarious movie, Will Ferrell's first really funny movie since Talladega Nights, this is a movie I would recommend for more mature (or rather older) audiences, do to language and sex jokes, but it's a great movie, if you like Ferrell or Reilly you'll like this movie.
  43. Jun 29, 2014
    Step Brothers is another really funny comedy from McKay & Ferrell. It doesn't quite hit the same highs as Anchorman or Talladega Nights, but there is more than enough belly laughs to see the movie through and the chemistry between Ferrell and John C. Reilly is still incredible.
  44. Jul 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Will Ferrel and John C. Riley are a great comedy team yet again in this movie about 2 grown men in their 40s without jobs, and still living at home. When Their single parents meet at a conference and then they marry making the two men in their 40s's lives a living hell Expand
  45. Jun 24, 2012
    Sure its pretty immature but its a fantastic comedy because its insanely funny. The script is only sometimes faulty but overall a sausagefest for the ages.
  46. Aug 18, 2013
    Step Brothers isn't the funniest Will Ferrell movie but it's such an enjoyable viewing experience because the chemistry between he and John C. Reilly is great. The amount of epic one-liners in this film alone make it worth watching. Is the plot ridiculous? Is the acting over the top? Is it crude and offensive? Yes, yes, and hell yes but that's Will Ferrell. It isn't his best movie but it'sStep Brothers isn't the funniest Will Ferrell movie but it's such an enjoyable viewing experience because the chemistry between he and John C. Reilly is great. The amount of epic one-liners in this film alone make it worth watching. Is the plot ridiculous? Is the acting over the top? Is it crude and offensive? Yes, yes, and hell yes but that's Will Ferrell. It isn't his best movie but it's still a must see for Ferrell fans. Expand
  47. Mar 13, 2012
    While it does fad quite a bit through out the last 30 mins of the movie, Its still hilarious and well worth the watch. Reily and Ferrell are an amazing comedy duo.
  48. Dec 25, 2012
    Very Good Movie. I Like The Part where brennan goes at dales drumset. Will Ferrel is always funny, every quote is funny. I usually laugh at the F word in this movie.
  49. Jul 14, 2015
    Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are enjoyably idiotic in "Step Brothers," Adam McKay's absurdist love letter to the American family dynamic and what it means to be a child.
  50. Dec 22, 2014
    Step Brother continues to be just as funny now as it was when it was released. I know its not a movies for everyone because it does have some pretty stupid humour but I'm a sucker for that stuff. This is one of the many Will Ferrell classics that have been released in the past 15 years. John C. Reilly is great beside him as he is equally as funny. It would be nice to see these two share aStep Brother continues to be just as funny now as it was when it was released. I know its not a movies for everyone because it does have some pretty stupid humour but I'm a sucker for that stuff. This is one of the many Will Ferrell classics that have been released in the past 15 years. John C. Reilly is great beside him as he is equally as funny. It would be nice to see these two share a lead again (they were great together in Talladega Nights as well. Adam Scott is great as Ferrell's douchebag brother its a role that I wasn't expecting from him after watching him in Parks and Recreation but it suits him. Anyone who loves a good laugh will love Step Brothers. Expand
  51. Feb 3, 2016
    Definitely one of the single best movies out there. Terrific job Will.

Watch it online for free: http://www.primewire.ag/watch-974-Step-Brothers-online-free

Not to wax too serious here (since this is, after all, a movie in which two nearly middle-aged men beat each other over the heads with blunt instruments on their front lawn), but ticking away just beneath Step Brothers' freely associative surface is a fairly astute commentary on how we define such abstract concepts as "growing up" and "making something of yourself."
    Step Brothers has comic fuel to burn, some of it unashamedly non sequitur and stupid-brilliant, but it still feels like a post-"Talladega" flameout.
    In Step Brothers, the language is simply showing off by talking dirty. It serves no comic function, and just sort of sits there in the air, making me cringe.