Step Brothers

7.9

1. mikeg
    Aug 3, 2008
    Better writing could have went a long way to set up the physical comedy.not a smart comedy, not a good story. Making immature 40yr olds get a job in 1 day or get out of the house seems a bit cold harded considering all the years of enabling. and they share a room because of a drum set? Many of the situations in this comedy are unbelievable or lame at best and everyone giving this movie a Better writing could have went a long way to set up the physical comedy.not a smart comedy, not a good story. Making immature 40yr olds get a job in 1 day or get out of the house seems a bit cold harded considering all the years of enabling. and they share a room because of a drum set? Many of the situations in this comedy are unbelievable or lame at best and everyone giving this movie a 10 really has low standards. Expand
  2. PeterK.
    Dec 4, 2008
    This movie misses more than it hits th funny bone. Too much way-over-the-top stupidity and swearing spoil what might have been a goofy masterpiece.
  3. TimK
    Jul 26, 2008
    A few chuckles, mostly due to the chemistry between Ferrell and Reilly, but overall unfunny and boring. The writers seem to think excessive profanity equals laughs. It doesn't. It runs a bit too long also.
  4. Mar 24, 2011
    What might one expect from the combination of Will Ferell and John C Reilly? They gave us that inane Nascar race flick, so we should know well just what exactly their product would be. I do like their daring and resourcefulness though - in a time of serious, realistic movies, they dare producing something so inane and ludicruously and purposely-funny and yet, they turn in performances thatWhat might one expect from the combination of Will Ferell and John C Reilly? They gave us that inane Nascar race flick, so we should know well just what exactly their product would be. I do like their daring and resourcefulness though - in a time of serious, realistic movies, they dare producing something so inane and ludicruously and purposely-funny and yet, they turn in performances that are just right for their parts. The movie's theme might be a bit too unusual, but both Ferell and Reilly are perfect in their depictions. I do wonder - if a 40-year-old man WERE unemployed and staying home with their parents, would they also be as child-like and immature like these two? Or is it just a comedy no-brains flick that Ferell and Reilly would have us believe?? I would like to hope that there is a social message here somewhere, but of course, if they had acted like grownups, that might have totally ruined it! Robert Jenkins and Mary Steenburgen are good together, but at times, I really cringed at how low Jenkins might stoop to - his character is empty and has absolutely no substance. I do feel for Steenburgen, her empathy for her two sons, her moving-on-with-what-my-life-really-is countenance is impressive. But obviously, if the perfect ending hadn't happened, if Jenkins and Steenburgen's characters hadn't got back together again, and the elder brother, Derek, hadn't piped down, it wouldn't have been a comedy flick, would it? Seriously, Ferell's testicle-scene was the last straw - it was totally unnecessary and absolutely disgusting. But then again, what reason and logic do we expect from Ferell anymore? I'd go with his Megamind depiction anyday than this disgust of a movie! This doesn't mean that he's not funny, he is, but at times, he can just be too uncontrollable and too inane. If only Ferell-Reilly could come up with a serious, mature subject and show their true talents, I'd be delighted! Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    Watched this for the first time ever, and to be honest I don't see what everyone found so funny about it. I rarely laughed. The writing was very poor and so where the characters. It was crude but unfunny. One of Will Ferrell's worst films.
  6. LouE.
    Sep 8, 2008
    It's all stuff we've seen before. They played it safe, Ferral and Reilly have played idiot man-cild role to death, there is no new unexplored territory, I wanted to like it, but it was like seeing a tamer Talladega Nights.
  7. AronJ.
    Dec 1, 2008
    I really wanted to like this movie, i really did. I'm a huge fan of Ferrell, but, he just didn't deliver in this. As for Reilly, i don't expect much. I'm not against cussing in movies, but, the language in this movie just didn't flow, they emphasized on the explictives, and took from the humor.
  8. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Horrible. Is one of many negative things I could say about this movie. I probably laughed once or twice, and I don't even remember when that was. That's how forgettable this movie is or unforgivable considering Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly star in this piece of crap. The f word can be funny in a lot of instances, but this movie finds a way to make it offensive to EVERYBODY. Good jobHorrible. Is one of many negative things I could say about this movie. I probably laughed once or twice, and I don't even remember when that was. That's how forgettable this movie is or unforgivable considering Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly star in this piece of crap. The f word can be funny in a lot of instances, but this movie finds a way to make it offensive to EVERYBODY. Good job guys way to make this movie fun for nobody. The story, the acting, and the humor is all wrong. I was excited to see this film for the stupidity and escapism, but I feel cheated. Anybody can act like a child, so who really wants to see somebody else do it? Expand
  9. Feb 21, 2015
    Aggressively unfunny, Step Brothers seems to think that the only way to make people laugh is through jokes that were only kind of funny in the third grade. Unfortunately, this line of thinking is severely misguided and it makes the film almost unbearable to watch at times. After an hour and a half of nothing but things that were supposed to be funny, but were not, it was refreshing to seeAggressively unfunny, Step Brothers seems to think that the only way to make people laugh is through jokes that were only kind of funny in the third grade. Unfortunately, this line of thinking is severely misguided and it makes the film almost unbearable to watch at times. After an hour and a half of nothing but things that were supposed to be funny, but were not, it was refreshing to see the ending, which actually was kind of funny and oddly touching. It ultimately left a good taste in my mouth as this one ended, which is why I was less harsh than I thought I would be. In addition, Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, did have some good chemistry and were well-matched. Unfortunately, they were let down by a horrible script and tasteless joke after tasteless joke. Damn shame, really. Expand
  10. May 24, 2013
    Too much (stupid) over-the-top humor for me to bear. The cast really gives it their all here, and it shows; Ferrell and Reilly are alarmingly convincing, and there are a couple of good laughs, but for the most part, Step Brothers is almost unbearable to watch.
  11. MichaelM.
    Aug 4, 2008
    The first 15 minutes are bearable. Then they expect us to laugh at different shirts, Chewbacca masks, and using the f word. The full theater I was in was mostly silent for the last 20 min of the movie. Not smart. Not original. And above all not funny. One guy clapped at the end. I booed.
  12. CollinP.
    Dec 5, 2008
    If it weren't for "Disaster Movie", this would probably be the worst comedy of the year. When you are happy to see Seth Rogen in a WILL FARRELL movie, you know the times have changed. There's such a thing as dumb comedy done right (Dumb and Dumber, Old School), and then there's such a thing as dumb comedy that's just plain dumb (i.e. a complete and utter absence of wit If it weren't for "Disaster Movie", this would probably be the worst comedy of the year. When you are happy to see Seth Rogen in a WILL FARRELL movie, you know the times have changed. There's such a thing as dumb comedy done right (Dumb and Dumber, Old School), and then there's such a thing as dumb comedy that's just plain dumb (i.e. a complete and utter absence of wit or creativity). There was hardly anything to appreciate at all in this movie. You can thank Horatio Sanz (!) for me not giving this film a zero, as his two-minute screen time as the singer in a 80's-only Billy Joel cover band was the only piece of inspired comedy in the entire movie. Piano Man! Expand
  13. ReidF.
    Jul 28, 2008
    Really Bad. Want my money back. As one critic said, it felt like a really long improv. Not good improv. I genuniunly like Ferrell and Reilly, but in my opinion this is just a really stupid movie.
  14. PeterS
    Sep 3, 2008
    Anchorman this certainly ain't. This film is chronic and a waste of a tenner plus how many minutes spent watching it.
  15. TomP
    Apr 23, 2009
    Not including the three minutes of The Love Guru I could tolerate, this is probably one of the worst comedies I have ever seen, It's more predictable than the worst Adam Sandler movies, witholding the times when something that is beyond random, in the most unfunny way imaginable was thrown in. (Dale's affair with Brennan's brother's wife comes to mind) Friends of mine Not including the three minutes of The Love Guru I could tolerate, this is probably one of the worst comedies I have ever seen, It's more predictable than the worst Adam Sandler movies, witholding the times when something that is beyond random, in the most unfunny way imaginable was thrown in. (Dale's affair with Brennan's brother's wife comes to mind) Friends of mine hyped this movie up, claiming it was better than Superbad and Pineapple Express, and I sat through the whole movie turning to another friend, both of us wondering when something even mildly entertaining was going to happen. I believe I smiled a few times at best. Every other moment was a painful waste of time. Expand
  16. DanC.
    Feb 10, 2009
    Truly terrible. Shockingly bad. Horrifically unfunny, with rare exceptions. Also, surprisingly mean-spiried, nasty, and "woman-hating" (and I'm a man saying this, not a reactionary hyper-feminist). Vulgar without being funny, which is the worst sin a comedy can commit. I've really enjoyed both lead actors' work in the past, so the awfulness of this was a real shock. 98 Truly terrible. Shockingly bad. Horrifically unfunny, with rare exceptions. Also, surprisingly mean-spiried, nasty, and "woman-hating" (and I'm a man saying this, not a reactionary hyper-feminist). Vulgar without being funny, which is the worst sin a comedy can commit. I've really enjoyed both lead actors' work in the past, so the awfulness of this was a real shock. 98 minutes of your life that you will never get back, and will regret having spent with this atrocity. I would award negative stars if that were possible. Expand
  17. kk
    Apr 27, 2009
    Wow, bad, and i loved talladega nights.
  18. Paulle
    Jul 24, 2008
    This is a stepping down stone of Adam McKay career. This film is filled like Epic movie dumb and vomit humor inspired like. This is the worst picture of 2008. Adam is making the wrong thing for his film for his r rated film. Totally unfunny and very mean spirited.
  19. BilB.
    Aug 26, 2008
    This must have been one of the most painful movie experiences I have ever had the misfortune to put myself through. Forget straight to DVD, this should have gone straight to the trash.
  20. BoboBobo
    Mar 7, 2009
    No matter what your IQ, Step Brothers is guaranteed to insult your intelligence.
  21. BrendW
    Dec 22, 2008
    This is simple, this movie is by far the worst I have ever had the mis-fortune of watching. I thought at one stage it started to looking promising, so continued, but I quickly realised that it was a hiding to no where. The humour is flat, the story line boring and the acting was mediocre. I expected much more from a Farrell movie. All I can say is that I'm glad iIdidn't pay good This is simple, this movie is by far the worst I have ever had the mis-fortune of watching. I thought at one stage it started to looking promising, so continued, but I quickly realised that it was a hiding to no where. The humour is flat, the story line boring and the acting was mediocre. I expected much more from a Farrell movie. All I can say is that I'm glad iIdidn't pay good money to see it it. My advice, save yourself the time, and have a frontal lobotamy, it's a lot more enjoyable. Expand

Not to wax too serious here (since this is, after all, a movie in which two nearly middle-aged men beat each other over the heads with blunt instruments on their front lawn), but ticking away just beneath Step Brothers' freely associative surface is a fairly astute commentary on how we define such abstract concepts as "growing up" and "making something of yourself."
    Step Brothers has comic fuel to burn, some of it unashamedly non sequitur and stupid-brilliant, but it still feels like a post-"Talladega" flameout.
    In Step Brothers, the language is simply showing off by talking dirty. It serves no comic function, and just sort of sits there in the air, making me cringe.