Step Into Liquid

8.5

1. Jun 6, 2012
    I Really Enjoyed This Movie! Really Cool!
  2. DaveA.
    Sep 30, 2003
    This movie was AWESOME it was the coolest movie i've seen since the endless summer! its a must see.
  3. ChadS.
    Aug 10, 2003
    I like how Dana Brown respects all surfers. He could've gone for easy laughs by using the Beach Boys over the soundtrack to be ironic about such disparate surfing hotspots like Lake Michigan and Ireland, but he doesn't. When the Irish surfers hit the waves, Brown helps them achieve transcendence by playing generic rock. He could've made them look ridiculous by playing I like how Dana Brown respects all surfers. He could've gone for easy laughs by using the Beach Boys over the soundtrack to be ironic about such disparate surfing hotspots like Lake Michigan and Ireland, but he doesn't. When the Irish surfers hit the waves, Brown helps them achieve transcendence by playing generic rock. He could've made them look ridiculous by playing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or something by Enya. "Step into Liquid" surprised me. If Michael Bay directed a surfing documentary, it would be ninety minutes of 60-foot waves and wipeouts. The demonstrations of surfing virtuosity are all the more effective because they're set up by quiet segments in which surfing never gets past the level of pastime, and in one instance, a way to bridge cultures. "Step into Liquid" is a real movie, similar in vein to "Home Movie". The film's message of "no stereotypes" made me rethink my willingness to laugh at those turtles in "Finding Nemo". Nobody in this movie says, "Dude," dude. Expand
  4. JamesV.
    Sep 10, 2003
    Had to see it twice!
  5. MollyZ.
    May 23, 2004
    Awesome! It was the best movie of the year. Malloy brothers rock! Kelly Slater is brilliant.
  6. AndreaM.
    Jun 2, 2004
    This movie is awesome!! Every surfer in the movie rocked!!
  7. David
    Nov 17, 2003
    I went all the way to California from Boston for my suumer vacation, and seeing this movie was one of the highlights of the trip. And that's saying a lot.
  8. BeckyH.
    Sep 26, 2003
    It's absolutely gorgeous. It takes your breath away and makes your heart pound.

As a bonus, "Liquid" also includes eye-popping footage of the top surfers in the world (Taj Burrow, Laird Hamilton, Dave Kalama) -- wave riders who make the impossible look easy.
  2. Brown has expertly captured the exhilarating and terrifying experience of watching surfers attack waves so preposterously large and ridiculously beautiful they defy description.
    As transporting as its otherworldly title suggests.