Samuel Goldwyn Films | Release Date: July 12, 2013
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 8 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MovieJayDec 16, 2013
I think "Still Mine" is one of the unfairly neglected gems of 2013. I'm now starting my own "James Cromwell for Best Actor nomination" campaign. The Academy Awards twitter is @TheAcademy. I'm @MovieJay. Will now post regular gentle andI think "Still Mine" is one of the unfairly neglected gems of 2013. I'm now starting my own "James Cromwell for Best Actor nomination" campaign. The Academy Awards twitter is @TheAcademy. I'm @MovieJay. Will now post regular gentle and cheerful reminders in the hopes that voters will not forget to at least consider his performance, his first lead in some 50 years.

He plays an 87 yr-old New Brunswick man whose character is made of grit and sweat and self-determination. It's a full, rich, and captivating performance in a movie with characters we feel like we've met in our own lives. It's a perceptive story about how the indignities of aging and changing social values come in to sharp conflict with a proud, self-reliant man who has twice the vigor for life than most men half his age.

It's a tough and crowded Oscar field this year. Ejiofor and McConaughey seem to have a lock on nominations. Elba as Mandela along with Dern and Redford seem to be the next three after that. And though I think Dern and Redford did fantastic work, I think THIS is the performance among the more mature actors that deserves the nomination. Hope you'll go to twitter and remind @TheAcademy to at least check out this wonderful movie.
netflicJul 23, 2013
There are two conflicts in the focus of this movie: the conflict between Life and Death and the other one, between common sense and Government regulations.
In the former conflict the main character, 80+ Craig Morrison, still in his good health, is facing his wife of 60 years together slowly but surely loosing her physical and mental health. He has to take steps to address this issue and gets right into the latter conflict. What to do if a Law does not make any sense? To which extend should Government be allowed to control our life (and we still want to call ourselves free people)? These and many other questions are raised in the movie.
It is not a masterpiece in my opinion but a very good, solid movie.
foxgroveOct 6, 2014
Small in ambition but huge in achievement. This beautifully written and wonderfully acted drama showcases the talents of two fine actors, both of whom have been underused by the cinema in leading roles. James Cromwell is amazing as theSmall in ambition but huge in achievement. This beautifully written and wonderfully acted drama showcases the talents of two fine actors, both of whom have been underused by the cinema in leading roles. James Cromwell is amazing as the husband coping with his wife's worsening Alzheimer's whilst fighting with the authorities over his building of a new house. He is the main focus of the film and he totally transfixes you with the subtle richness of his very rewarding characterisation.
It's also good to see Genevieve Bujold, one of my favourite actresses, back in a bigger role than usual and with little effort she breaks your heart. The Canadian locations are beautifully shot and the film slowly, but surely packs a powerful emotional wallop.