5.5

1. Dec 13, 2014
    Many reasons not to like it. Cage doesn't fit the role in a story that is predictable and houses no characters of interest. The film even struggles to consistently entertain, it feels like a dull Taken copycat that lacks the brilliant original concept and the ground-breaking quotes. I never felt bothered about the outcome nor did I ever feel my pulse raising. Whatever you look for in aMany reasons not to like it. Cage doesn't fit the role in a story that is predictable and houses no characters of interest. The film even struggles to consistently entertain, it feels like a dull Taken copycat that lacks the brilliant original concept and the ground-breaking quotes. I never felt bothered about the outcome nor did I ever feel my pulse raising. Whatever you look for in a film, I doubt Stolen has it. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    "Stolen" 10 Scale Rating: 1.5 (Awful) ...

The Good: Danny Huston and Mark Valley were decent as FBI agents. It was funny a few times, though I don't think it was meant to be. The Bad: Nicolas Cage was dreadful, but was trumped by Josh Lucas who played the movie's villain. Lucas is usually pretty solid, so perhaps villains just aren't his thing. Terrible plot, bad acting, awful action
    "Stolen" 10 Scale Rating: 1.5 (Awful) ...

The Bad: Nicolas Cage was dreadful, but was trumped by Josh Lucas who played the movie's villain. Lucas is usually pretty solid, so perhaps villains just aren't his thing. Terrible plot, bad acting, awful action sequences, and annoying music that kept repeating throughout ... easily one of the worst films of 2012.
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    Nicholas Cage is known to enjoy making bad action films. However he somehow manages to make them fun wither either his oddball performances or his tongue in cheek sense of humour. For example Con-Air (also directed by Simon West) is a bad film but cage makes it entertaining with his over the top southern lilt. Stolen on the other hand is just garbage. When Bank Robber Will MontgomeryNicholas Cage is known to enjoy making bad action films. However he somehow manages to make them fun wither either his oddball performances or his tongue in cheek sense of humour. For example Con-Air (also directed by Simon West) is a bad film but cage makes it entertaining with his over the top southern lilt. Stolen on the other hand is just garbage. When Bank Robber Will Montgomery (Cage) is released from prison a man from his past ransoms his daughter for the 10 million dollars he thinks he deserves. Without any options he must attempt a dangerous heist with the help of old friend Riley (Malin Akerman) to rescue his daughter. I'll keep it short because I honestly believe trying to find merit in a film like this is akin to drawing blood from a stone. The film has only one entertaining element and that is Josh Lucas' villain. He is hilarious to watch as his acting is so terrible its moderately funny. Besides that the film is one mistake after another. The finale is the worst offender as the action is awful as the scenes are dark and impossible to see, Cage looks like the film has finally broken him and the film nosedives into the credits. The father daughter dynamic is non existent and Cage and Akerman have little to no chemistry so the entire 2nd act doesn't work. In fact the whole film doesn't work, it is a misconceived abomination of a film. Expand
  4. Mar 31, 2013
    Don't bother with this mediocre crap. It unsurprisingly only made 2m$ at the theatres worldwide, but it should have been a direct-to-DVD release. The story is laughable and high unrealistic and the characters are bland and uninteresting. Even at 92 mins it seems too long for this ultra-thin script. My advice: avoid even when there's nothing else to see!
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    Stolen is derivative of so many other films: Brake, Taken to name a recent few and there's no new ground broken here. Josh Lucas, a classy actor, is poorly cast-against-type as the derelict, revenge-seeking brother. And there are so many ridiculous implausibilities that make you wonder "why do I not hit the Stop button already?" And the ending, jeez, I expected alot better from directorStolen is derivative of so many other films: Brake, Taken to name a recent few and there's no new ground broken here. Josh Lucas, a classy actor, is poorly cast-against-type as the derelict, revenge-seeking brother. And there are so many ridiculous implausibilities that make you wonder "why do I not hit the Stop button already?" And the ending, jeez, I expected alot better from director Simon West. Expand
  6. Dec 18, 2012
    Boring. Pathetic. A very mediocre movie. I don't know what is wrong with Nicolas Cage, he got to learn how to turn down a role and only do films that have potential. Stolen is nothing but a mixture of some action films that I've already watched. I wasted my time. Don't watch it!
  7. Dec 10, 2012
    With the trendy "kidnapped daughter" plot, stolen from Taken's playbook, Nicolas Cage once again disappoints in his all new movie made of mediocrities and no appeal. Everything barely holds together, plenty of inconsistencies plagued the story and while it tries to offer minimal excitement, it turns into a boring mess. Bordering on comical, it also has contrasting serious tone, which isWith the trendy "kidnapped daughter" plot, stolen from Taken's playbook, Nicolas Cage once again disappoints in his all new movie made of mediocrities and no appeal. Everything barely holds together, plenty of inconsistencies plagued the story and while it tries to offer minimal excitement, it turns into a boring mess. Bordering on comical, it also has contrasting serious tone, which is delivered in a heavy handed manner. This creates strange performance, especially on some parts, and leaves me wondering whether it's made in the '90s.

Stolen uses many uninspiring elements to glue itself, although the soundtrack is catchy enough. Will Montgomery (Nicolas Cage) is an ex-con, a thief who had a job gone bad, now he aims to save her daughter and turns his life around, on screen, not real life. The problem is there are many odd plots that just don't make sense and rely too much on coincidences. Furthermore, the movie tries to pave for some clever twists, but unfortunately they come off predictable or just unimpressive. Nicolas Cage does his trademark angst and desperation, with bits of longing for redemption, quite like he did in Con-Air, also carrying plushie doll for his daughter.

Josh Lucas got the lousy part as Vincent, the one legged antagonist. He doesn't look right, creepy in a ridiculous kind of way. Someone who has a modern peg leg, abnormal amount of fingers and is probably high the entire time, is more goofy than daunting. He deteriorates even more in latter part, almost mimicking Jason Voorhees. The rest of the cast are plain and mostly have the durability of only one elbow from Nicolas Cage, or simply a pretty eye candy. Without anything special and mundane parts cobbled together forcefully, Stolen will shamelessly take your time and money, then leave you with only regret.
  8. Oct 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having been cut from the US box office, i felt lucky to get a viewing. This film commonly reminds me of 'Taken', the scenario with a kidnapped daughter, which from many aspect of blockbusters is becoming bland and boring. I mean maybe in 'Die Hard' and a few arnie schwarzenegger films, but in the 21st century you need more plot content and plot twists than the plain old story. The story is based around the farther (Nicholas Cage) being a bank robber, at firth thought i was hoping for an epic action packed film. However the film turns from an action packed first 10 minuets to a long predictable low budget middle. With a believe at least 30 minuets of a guy driving round in a yellow cab. There is poor character development, as well as a lack in creativity. The ending is highly predictable and reminds me of a low budget 80s film. The attempt at comedy is bleak at best.

Not one of Cage's best efforts.

For all the heists, chases and shoot-outs, it's a sluggish picture. Characters feel the need to stop the action to explain themselves. Thoroughly.
  2. Reviewed by: Keith Staskiewicz
    Sep 14, 2012
    The longest stretch of logical plotting lasts about forty seconds, and the deep-rooted silliness makes it hard to take anything in the film seriously. But at least it has the decency never to ask us to.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Sep 14, 2012
    Stolen is less shameless than "Taken" - which featured evil Albanians and other assorted politically incorrect appurtenances - which also makes it less effective.