7.0

1. ChadS.
    Apr 5, 2007
    DJ(Columbus Short) is, by all appearances, not a product of his environment; he's smart enough to attend Truth University on a scholarship; he's more like Tre than Doughboy. We assume. "Stomp the Yard" flees John Singleton's hood before we know who DJ is: good kid or thug? Stay awhile, after all, "Stomp the Yard" has a running time close to two hours. All we know about this DJ(Columbus Short) is, by all appearances, not a product of his environment; he's smart enough to attend Truth University on a scholarship; he's more like Tre than Doughboy. We assume. "Stomp the Yard" flees John Singleton's hood before we know who DJ is: good kid or thug? Stay awhile, after all, "Stomp the Yard" has a running time close to two hours. All we know about this dancer's life in Los Angeles is that he witnessed his brother's murder. For starters: has he himself ever fired a gun? DJ doesn't come to Atlanta with any noticeable baggage, which challenges the stereotype about hip-hop being a preventive measure against pacifism and feminism. DJ is a nice guy, a little too nice. He's boring. I'm not advocating that he smack his bitch up; I mean, April(Meagan Good), but a few rough edges would make for a more interesting protagonist. Neither the cardboard characters nor the okay dance sequences deliver us from noticing how the story unfolds, almost by rote. It's that predictable and completely devoid of any surprises. Expand
  2. WayneU.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Good dancing doesn't make this pile a good movie.
  3. JasonS.
    Jan 14, 2007
    It's just another dance movie, nothing special about it and nothing original about it either! This goes to prove that originality is dead!
  4. CharlesT.
    May 28, 2007
    This movie is just like another You got Served kind of movie. Unoriginal and plain. The only good thing about this movie is the stepping and the hot girl. Otherwise its just a shame that in Stomp The Yard is so predictable and filed with lame plots.
  5. ChristopherD.
    Jun 12, 2007
    This is a rewrite of Teen Wolf. It is the same exact story just it doesn't take place in highschool. I have seen this movie so many times in a hundred different guises and this is beyond childish. It offers nothing culturally of importance though it portends importance. Do not waste your time this movie has nothing to offer but the many jokes you can make about it.
  6. ZiftK
    Jul 11, 2007
    The movie was very eh... Nothing new, just like your normal dance movie. IE) you got served. It had some nice moves, and so on, but the rest of the movie dragged. Watch it when it's on TV, it's nothing to write home about. I'd say the highlight in the movie was April, she looked great. Other than that, very average movie.

1. As the central character in this musical melodrama about step dancing in black fraternities, Short displays an uncanny dramatic sensibility to go with the eye-catching athleticism of his dance moves.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    The dancing is more dynamic than the plotting in Stomp the Yard, an energetic if formulaic underdog tale about warring black fraternities specializing in an intensely competitive style of step dancing.
  3. The shallow frat-on-frat rivalry and the poor-boy-loves-rich-girl subplot don't mean a thing. But the stepping does got that swing.