6.6

1. BillyS.
    Apr 2, 2008
    Who cares about the acting and accents and square dancing, when a movie about the War in Iraq within the first 10 minutes has the lead character saying "F**K the President" you're on to something! Unfortunatly, by the end, it all turns right back around to another We Are Americans and We Will Not Back Down, Bush worthy Rhetoric!!!
  2. Jack
    Mar 24, 2008
    A simple minded embarrassment. I appreciate the notion of the film but the screenplay is just terrible - just a check list of war movie cliches. Very disappointing.
  3. TylerS.
    Jul 23, 2008
    I thought this movie was truly moving and it kept drawing me in as a viewer, i would highly recommend this movie to any and all!
  4. Robs
    Apr 5, 2008
    yet another anti-american movie that will make no money and isn't even entertaining.
  5. EJ
    May 5, 2008
    Good and important movie. Little bit of a disappointing ending though, I believe if you are going to make a statement you should go all the way, and maybe the film makers thought they were doing that but it was ineffective and just showed that America won't back down from the mess they have gotten themselves into.
  6. KenD.
    Mar 31, 2008
    Should get 7 Razzie Nominations minimum! I'm sure the Hollywood blow hards all love this anti-war slam! Any thing that is anti-American is how they express their hatred for the USA. If they had their will we would have Castro as the father of this country, and Chávez as president. Wake up Hollywood. No one wants to see your crap!!!!!
  7. ChadS.
    Mar 30, 2008
    A man has the right to change his mind. He can flip-flop. But sometimes when you go too far, there is no point of return. Iraqi veteran Brandon King(Ryan Phillippe) tells his commanding officer, in so many words, that the president could go f*** himself, which should tell you something about whose side "Stop-Loss" is on. But: surprise, surprise. "Stop-Loss" is far from being "In the A man has the right to change his mind. He can flip-flop. But sometimes when you go too far, there is no point of return. Iraqi veteran Brandon King(Ryan Phillippe) tells his commanding officer, in so many words, that the president could go f*** himself, which should tell you something about whose side "Stop-Loss" is on. But: surprise, surprise. "Stop-Loss" is far from being "In the Valley of Elah". The president is disdainful towards people who flip-flop, but this filmmaker, to my surprise, flip-flops, from a liberal to a conservative agenda, ironically enough, and supports the war, in spite of a narrative that suggests otherwise. Like her previous film "Boys Don't Cry", this filmmaker captures the local culture of a community with objectivity. She doesn't leer. She's not judgemental about rural folks who ski-surf on dirt roads(from "Boys Don't Cry"), or in this case, Texas denizens who get drunk and shoot their guns in the woods. And also like this director's previous film, "Stop-Loss" has a protagonist named Brandon. Coincidence? There's no such thing as coincidences. In "Boys Don't Cry", Brandon Teena was a girl who thought she was a boy. Brandon King is a soldier who thought he was a conscientious objector. "Stop-Loss" respects the men who serve our country. But does it respect our president, too? No upside-down flag in tatters, here. Expand
  8. ChrisW.
    Apr 1, 2008
    Stop Loss is a mess of a human drama, devoid of any sembelance of realistic interaction. The basic premise is good. Unfortunately Stop Loss needs more than just a bit of tweaking to pass for anything close to good. It needs to re-think itself entirely. The main problem that I found with the movie was that it seemed more concerned with informing the public about stop loss than telling a Stop Loss is a mess of a human drama, devoid of any sembelance of realistic interaction. The basic premise is good. Unfortunately Stop Loss needs more than just a bit of tweaking to pass for anything close to good. It needs to re-think itself entirely. The main problem that I found with the movie was that it seemed more concerned with informing the public about stop loss than telling a story. Much, if not most of the script was unbelievable, and the execution worse. Furthermore the conclusion was... well nonexistant really, leaving the audience unsettled, though not in the way the director undoubtedly intended. The three points I gave were simply for the attempt at a movie on so relevant a topic. Expand
  9. MarcD.
    Apr 2, 2008
    Chad, I was intrigued by your review, and you don't often lead me astray, but this one didn't live up to your tempered praise. I liked Phillippe in "Breach" last year, but he is really poor in this one. That accent was simply horrible. Pierce didn't do a bad directing job - the tone of the film is good, and she coaxed a solid performance out of Channing Tatum (and Abbie Chad, I was intrigued by your review, and you don't often lead me astray, but this one didn't live up to your tempered praise. I liked Phillippe in "Breach" last year, but he is really poor in this one. That accent was simply horrible. Pierce didn't do a bad directing job - the tone of the film is good, and she coaxed a solid performance out of Channing Tatum (and Abbie Cornish is excellent). The film just doesn't bring much to the table to be considered among the best modern war flicks such as "Three Kings." As a fan of "The Wire", I'm eagerly anticipating David Simon's "Generation Kill" which should come out later this year on HBO, I believe. I guarantee you it'll be worth seeing and will likely be the Iraqi experience which breaks this jinx on gulf war flix. Expand
  10. BobW
    Apr 22, 2008
    Not bad acting just nothing to say except the usual screed about the war nobody likes. Not entertaining or informative. So I gave it a zero which is what I got for my money.
  11. JayH.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Well constructed film, but I did find it a little hard to get involved in. Fine performances all around, a very good score, well edited and photographed. Believably told, goo character development, but it just lacks something.
  12. TomS
    Jul 2, 2008
    One of the best war movies of recent years based on soldiers' real accounts. No glorification or papering over the issues that should be faced up to more. It's the people who put young men and women into this kind of no-win situation who are Anti-American. IMO.
  13. JamesP.
    Mar 27, 2008
    I thought his was another small minded approach taken to our soldiers to represent them as victims, fools, and crazies. This film was not good, it just followed the same ground as the Valley of Elah, rendition, etc.
  14. JasonS.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Insulting to the military and military families.
  15. KaseyS.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Exceeds expectations (for something that says MTV on it). Powerful and provactive storytelling. However, there was absolutely no need for the Abbie Cornish character. She added nothing (not her fault) and served as a major distraction. Gordon-Leavitt continues to impress. Some things were melodramatic and I did not feel that the transition from proud soldier to betrayed civilian was Exceeds expectations (for something that says MTV on it). Powerful and provactive storytelling. However, there was absolutely no need for the Abbie Cornish character. She added nothing (not her fault) and served as a major distraction. Gordon-Leavitt continues to impress. Some things were melodramatic and I did not feel that the transition from proud soldier to betrayed civilian was effective enough. Suprisingly fair and balanced and not another Clooney/Moore "Impeach Bush" movie. The director accomplishes this by makeing the story personal not universal. Expand
  16. BetsyM
    Mar 31, 2008
    Terrible acting, terrible directing, phony story. Stop loss does happen but the Vietnam era underground railroad to Canada was ridiculous. Best example I can think of for the silly directing was the zoom in on the tires squealing in the gravel. Twelve year olds might like that. As for the acting, not all Texans have stupid accents and wear cowboy boots and tight t-shirts while drinking Terrible acting, terrible directing, phony story. Stop loss does happen but the Vietnam era underground railroad to Canada was ridiculous. Best example I can think of for the silly directing was the zoom in on the tires squealing in the gravel. Twelve year olds might like that. As for the acting, not all Texans have stupid accents and wear cowboy boots and tight t-shirts while drinking beer and slow dancing. Ryan Phillipe is a joke. Expand
  17. kenz
    Jun 19, 2008
    Anti-American movie? did u not see all the flags(tattoos on soldiers,etc). Criticizing war does NOT means criticizing America. Unless you like wars.
  18. PatrickC
    Jul 12, 2008
    This movie was great!!! It showed that the president is a freaking dumbass and how they send troops and soldiers back into the war. I say that because i think a troops should have the right for not going back if they don't want to.
  19. PeterJ.
    Jul 8, 2008
    I served my time in the Army between 93-96. Nothing really went on their during my tour, hence no stop loss. I did get to serve months in Haiti. Anyway, my point is you signed up for a certain time, and your contract should be honored. Okay, if a war is going on and your time is up I would be more than willing to keep on keeping on. But if you already got out of the Army, and they call I served my time in the Army between 93-96. Nothing really went on their during my tour, hence no stop loss. I did get to serve months in Haiti. Anyway, my point is you signed up for a certain time, and your contract should be honored. Okay, if a war is going on and your time is up I would be more than willing to keep on keeping on. But if you already got out of the Army, and they call you back. That is absolutely asinine. And I am FOR the war gentlemen. So those who give this movie a low score because you feel it is ANTI-War. Let me assure you that has nothing to do with it. The point is that you have done your time, and lived up to your end of the bargain. The Army should do the same. Expand
  20. JosephB.
    Jul 8, 2008
    Any movie questioning the most disastrous move made by this reckless, unthinking administration, and Bush/Cheny have made many of them, is to be commended. I get sick to my stomach every time I see Bush in a photo-op with some poor soldier that lost his legs fighting in Bush's personal war, and I can't help thinking how Bush didn't even show up for his National Guard duty Any movie questioning the most disastrous move made by this reckless, unthinking administration, and Bush/Cheny have made many of them, is to be commended. I get sick to my stomach every time I see Bush in a photo-op with some poor soldier that lost his legs fighting in Bush's personal war, and I can't help thinking how Bush didn't even show up for his National Guard duty half of the time, and how Cheny got no less than five deferments to avoid serving in Viet Nam. Bush has done more damage to this country than any terrorist could ever hope to. But soon, this nightmare will be over and this country will start the healing process to recover from what will go down as the worst administration in the history of this country. Expand
  21. SteveF.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Not a bad watch. Good acting and direction. Well worth seeing once even if you are Canadian like I am.
  22. JesseT.
    Mar 26, 2008
    OUTSTANDING. Brilliant movie for everyone old and teen.
  23. MattC.
    Mar 27, 2008
    Stop Loss is an MTV advertisement for indefinite movies, and convinced enough this motion picture will attain the Emmy
  24. MarcL.
    Mar 31, 2008
    This movie IS NOT FOR DATE NIght!! It is hard to watch in a few places but it forces a deeper look at war, relationships, choices and everything in between. I was taken (Treated) to the movie by 4 active duty Marines, 2 of whom had just returned from Iraq. They showed their tears, will you?
  25. JesterM.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Would someone please try to stop the loss of sense of giving a hoot! Not that the movie wasn't well acted, written, directed, and politically correct enough to make its way onto the order counter at Starbucks. But any points the movie may have earned have been overwhelmed by my complete and total ambivalence to the subject matter. I am the apathetic American audience member... and I Would someone please try to stop the loss of sense of giving a hoot! Not that the movie wasn't well acted, written, directed, and politically correct enough to make its way onto the order counter at Starbucks. But any points the movie may have earned have been overwhelmed by my complete and total ambivalence to the subject matter. I am the apathetic American audience member... and I actually agree with the political sentient expressed here. In fact, it's only when I read the goading reviews of my right wing friends here on this site, do I actually wish this movie had made a bigger impact. Expand
  26. Jan 7, 2014
    War films are the speciality of Kathryn Bigelow which should stay so. It was a nice try of Kimberly Peirce, but nevertheless she should leave it to Bigelow and focus on movies like her best one "Boys Don't Cry".

Even when the script slips into sentiment, Peirce sticks with her troubled, questing soldiers, and through this raw and riveting movie, they stick with us.
  2. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    A young cast and hotheaded melodramatic streak make it broadly accessible, perhaps enough so to help the film scrape past boxoffice challenges faced by other Iraq-centered features.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    A wildly uneven drama, by turns sincere and synthetic.