7.8

1. May 19, 2013
    I don't know Sarah Polley but she strikes me as very bright somewhat shy and vulnerable. These characteristics are reflected in the film. After constructing the film's framework (tell the fully story as you remember it in your own words) she lets the film unfold without heavy handed involvement. She appears very cognizant of the fact that editing would in a way tamper with the raw truth the participants are sharing.

Stories We Tell is a wonderful film. It caused me to deeply reflect on my life. I remembered, I cried, I laughed and dare I say, I changed after watching it; can't ask much more of a film.

Its perhaps paradoxical that such a personal film by Poley would elicit such a response. Its all about her family, her mother and father, her experiences. Yet these experiences have such resonance because watching you realize what a common experience we share. Everyone lives a life that leaves us with scattered memories attached to inner feelings that are very hard to organize or even retain. We don't have the luxury of interviewing our lives participants. Poley gets this chance (created the chance) and makes the best of it. She interviews her siblings, her father, their friends. The film demonstrates how our minds sometimes fill in the blanks in an illusory way or push the memory and pain to the background.

The film is worth more than the combined experience of one hundred Hollywood blockbusters. It has no car chases, no violence, no aging action hero, And it works. Every time I see a film like this I am reminded that with so many bad films produced it doesn't have to be that way. We deserve better. Thank you Sarah.
  2. jkm
    Jun 2, 2013
    BRILLIANT

A brilliant film showcasing the true story of "a family" in a very cohesive and thought-provoking way. The depth of the subject matter is perfectly weaved all along, and the filming and editing are impressive all of which make the viewer almost feel as if he is part of the filming process, memories, and story. My favorite film of 2013 thus far (as of June 2, 2013).
  3. Aug 25, 2013
    The Human is a strange creature, how a person change the life of everybody with only one action. This beautiful film explains that. It's a excellent documentaries that represents the life of a family in a amazing way. It's a masterpiece.

1. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 25, 2013
    Sarah Polley’s Stories We Tell is two or maybe three dangerous kinds of movies all at the same time, and handled so brilliantly that the result is a transformative, unforgettable work of art.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jul 18, 2013
    A great storyteller, however, is one who can entertain an audience in the moment -- but who also gives them something to think about, something for them to take home with them when the story ends, which is exactly what Polley does in Stories We Tell.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Jul 3, 2013
    In the end, I was nagged by a question posed by Polley’s sister Joanna in the film’s opening minutes. “I guess I have this instinctive reaction: who cares about our ----ing family?” The answer, of course, is Polley herself, who smilingly tells us that a story like hers can never truly be tied down, even as she screws every last piece into place.