3.3

1. Dec 21, 2014
    thanks Andrzej Bartkowiak and Justin Marks now no hollywood studio will ever take a chance on a street fighter movie again. after this movie i wouldn't blame them it is horrible easily up there with the worst video game adaptations. it's terribly acted, terribly shot, the action sequences are horrible and while some of the cast make some sense in theory (but not in practice) whoever castthanks Andrzej Bartkowiak and Justin Marks now no hollywood studio will ever take a chance on a street fighter movie again. after this movie i wouldn't blame them it is horrible easily up there with the worst video game adaptations. it's terribly acted, terribly shot, the action sequences are horrible and while some of the cast make some sense in theory (but not in practice) whoever cast Neal McDonough as M. Bison really needs to rethink his line of work Expand
  2. Jun 9, 2014
    Why is this kind of bad not funny?

Why is this kind of bad not funny?

Is just a clumsy movie, with clumsy story, clumsy cinematography, bad acting (that I wouldn't even call "acting") and bad lighting... how can you be so bad lighting a movie so you can see anything? everything is so dark in this movie even when something should be perfectly lit! is bad directing... I know that the director's background is on cinematography but that doesn't excuse the directing in this film, is just bad... and the characters in short: why couldn't chun-li be asian? why can't m. bison look like m. bison? the characters resemble nothing to their video game counterpart.

Is hard to think of good things for this movie, but that's because there is hardly anything good about it except for maybe the choreography... is ok I guess, but still, this one a recommend a skip...
  3. Dec 22, 2011
    wow they had to make another street fighter movieyou figured they would learn from the first movie i mean the story is all about chun li so why aint she chinese and the actress's outfit doesn't even resemble chun li's from the game and they couldnt even do her spinning bird kick right.

to be honest this movie makes the old street fighter movie look like avatar
  4. Aug 11, 2011
    "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li" is a sub-par video game adaptation. The story is there, but very poorly put together and occasionally nonsensical. You'd think that that would be alright as long as the action sequences are good, right? Well, no. The action is terribly dull. McDonough is miscast - the antagonist he plays was not at all as menacing as he should have been. An utterly"Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li" is a sub-par video game adaptation. The story is there, but very poorly put together and occasionally nonsensical. You'd think that that would be alright as long as the action sequences are good, right? Well, no. The action is terribly dull. McDonough is miscast - the antagonist he plays was not at all as menacing as he should have been. An utterly forgettable action film. Collapse
  5. ZachridW.
    Oct 17, 2009
    It works with lots of beer and if you want to "riff-trax" with your friends on it. Or in other words: I know Uwe Boll-movies that do a better performance than this piece of.
  6. fragoff
    Oct 5, 2009
    I am pretty sure Uwe Boll would have done it better. Even if we avoid the fact it has close to no relation to the spirit of street fighter, the movie is bad by holywood standard of 'no brainer action movies'.
  7. AlexxP
    Sep 27, 2009
    Absolutely disgraceful. Street fighter fans will be absolutely dissapointed, like me, and will even destroy minds of people who are planning on getting street fighter (the game, not the crappy movie) and may convince them that street fighter is a crappy franchise, Capcom have made a failure to their company in signing up to this movie. Oh, and M.Bison, he SUCKS so bad! Street Fighter Absolutely disgraceful. Street fighter fans will be absolutely dissapointed, like me, and will even destroy minds of people who are planning on getting street fighter (the game, not the crappy movie) and may convince them that street fighter is a crappy franchise, Capcom have made a failure to their company in signing up to this movie. Oh, and M.Bison, he SUCKS so bad! Street Fighter IV's release was almost perfect, avoid this film at your own safety, place a restraining order on it for christs' sake! Expand
  8. useruser
    Sep 16, 2009
    Boring story line / Ms Kreuk can't speak chinese and cantonese properly considering the character was able to speak chinese fluently when still young / Bison equals lame /Charlie, who? / Balrog was decent looking in this movie/ Vega, one of my favourite characters in SF, also the reason I wanted to watch this movie, really flew out of the window.. with the mask bigger than the head Boring story line / Ms Kreuk can't speak chinese and cantonese properly considering the character was able to speak chinese fluently when still young / Bison equals lame /Charlie, who? / Balrog was decent looking in this movie/ Vega, one of my favourite characters in SF, also the reason I wanted to watch this movie, really flew out of the window.. with the mask bigger than the head and two minutes fame before squashed by Chun Li, I was out of words.. that's where I've stopped watching it. Expand
  9. WolfgangS.
    Jul 19, 2009
    Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. How could anyone at Capcom let this happen? How could ANYONE in the entire team responsible for this let this happen? How could everyone throw away their dignity like this? Thanks to the overwhelmingly negative reviews I saved the money and downloaded this piece of crap. Even without being tricked into paying money for this, I Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. How could anyone at Capcom let this happen? How could ANYONE in the entire team responsible for this let this happen? How could everyone throw away their dignity like this? Thanks to the overwhelmingly negative reviews I saved the money and downloaded this piece of crap. Even without being tricked into paying money for this, I couldn't stand watching it all the way. My god, even Uwe Boll does it better, and that says a lot about how bad Chun-Li is. Expand
  10. JorgeM.
    Jul 16, 2009
    Total rubbish.
  11. LB
    Jul 14, 2009
    The Van Damme version was so bad it was almost good. This is just bad. You really have to wonder what the Capcom execs were smoking when they allowed this script. I mean, after the disaster of the first movie you'd think they'd insist on reading it over before approving it.
  12. RyanS.
    Jul 7, 2009
    For a movie called Street Fighter this doesn't have nearly enough street fighting. It did have a boring story and uninteresting characters. I remember the Street Fighter video game as being more fun than this.
  13. MattS
    Jul 1, 2009
    This is just an egregiously bad movie. There isn't a single positive thing I can say about it. The movie starts, and ends with downright horrific acting, a poor storyline, and with the addition of Chris Klein as Charlie/Nash, I'm pretty sure I threw up a little in my mouth... This movie is a disgrace to the 'legend' of Street Fighter.
  14. JayH
    Jun 28, 2009
    I thought this was a pretty lame movie. I am not into this genre of film anyway. This one bored me and did not find too many things about it that was exciting. The only interesting thing for me was some of the location filming.
  15. samm
    Jun 27, 2009
    Crikey im a street fighter fanboy but i was keen to see a good adaptation to the big screen unlike the vandamme cheeseathon, so my mind was open. but this film was just total garbage bad acting id give it a 0 no matter what the crap was called, but for someone to flush street fighter through the toilet again made me especially angry the second time. just dont waste your time on this one. Crikey im a street fighter fanboy but i was keen to see a good adaptation to the big screen unlike the vandamme cheeseathon, so my mind was open. but this film was just total garbage bad acting id give it a 0 no matter what the crap was called, but for someone to flush street fighter through the toilet again made me especially angry the second time. just dont waste your time on this one. nothing good about it all. martial arts are poor the acting is awful and the story is weak. Expand
  16. DreH.
    Jun 25, 2009
    Had SOOOO much potential. But failed. Had a good start, good ideas, but failed.
  17. JorgeL.
    May 27, 2009
    Worst movie of all time. the makers are all on speed.
  18. ralphp
    May 8, 2009
    This could be one of the worst movies I have ever seen, I started gargling blood during the movie because my body had an anti-crap movie defense put up against this film. I actually asked for a refund after the movie because it was just disgusting made, shot, and put togehter. I would of rather watched a youtube remake or something, please stop ruining good video games with these types of movies.
  19. notmatthewtatall
    Apr 12, 2009
    Matthew you are clearly a street fighter fanboy who refuses to admit how terrible this movie was. Granted I will admit a few things I think Kristin Kruek is hot as Lana I think she is quite the eyecandy (I have followed smallville from its beginning and I think her acting has somehow gotten worse over the years when she first started out it was clear she was new to it and it was kind of Matthew you are clearly a street fighter fanboy who refuses to admit how terrible this movie was. Granted I will admit a few things I think Kristin Kruek is hot as Lana I think she is quite the eyecandy (I have followed smallville from its beginning and I think her acting has somehow gotten worse over the years when she first started out it was clear she was new to it and it was kind of cute and looked like she would improve Such is not the case though the more presence she gets the worse her acting gets Why will I never see this movie? A few reasons 1. I had never heard of this movie Street Fighter 4 comes out and about a day or two later there is suddenly a preview for a new Street fighter movie...that I had never even heard of, the preview already looked awful Doing some research? the creators of the movie refused to have an advance screening for the movie AT ALL, This is yet another example of when we pleaded for years for them to make videogame and Superhero movies, now everything has changed and we are pleading for them to STOP ruining series or to at least make a solid effort in making videogame movies, you ready? THE ORIGINAL STREET FIGHTER MOVIE AS INCOHERENT AND NONCANON AS IT POSSIBLY IS? IS BETTER THEN THIS GARBAGE. Expand
  20. KevinB.
    Mar 5, 2009
    It's as if someone just filmed a bunch of 5 year-olds playing make believe as Street Fighter characters, then re-shot the movie with adult actors. I am still in shock that a group of professional filmmakers could have created such an incoherent disaster. I've played through many Street Fighter games, and Chun-Li was always my favorite, which just makes it worse.
  21. PatrickR.
    Mar 5, 2009
    im not going to say too much on this because i think the fact that the person who said "not bad" still gave it a 4 speaks volumes... if you saw the previews and still went to see it, you knew what you were getting into. I was hoping it would at least be fun to laugh at the complete stupidity...but all i wanted to do is cry...
  22. Johnb
    Mar 2, 2009
    Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe this film. Fan of the game but not of this movie.
  23. FarhadH
    Mar 2, 2009
    I expected the movie to be a lot cooler. The director of 300 and wanted should produce this movie. There weren't a lot of special effects like slow motions, close ups, and life like energy moves. The fighting was not as good as I thought and the actors didn't match the characters of street fighter except kristin kruek as Chun-Li. Vega looked like the guy from black eyed peas for I expected the movie to be a lot cooler. The director of 300 and wanted should produce this movie. There weren't a lot of special effects like slow motions, close ups, and life like energy moves. The fighting was not as good as I thought and the actors didn't match the characters of street fighter except kristin kruek as Chun-Li. Vega looked like the guy from black eyed peas for god sake. The story needs to precise and the characters should as well. If they make a sequel with all the characters, please get a new director and take my advice into consideration. Expand
  24. RogueMoviegoer
    Mar 1, 2009
    "Disappointing" is being too kind. Clearly low expectations given no movie critic was allowed to review it prior to release (flag!). Kristin Kreuk couldn't save the plot and dialogue despite her physical credibility and emotional demeanor presence. Very end of any film that attempts to set up a sequel screams
  25. PfillipT.
    Feb 28, 2009
    Bad if you haven't played the game, worse if you have. Bad cast, bad crew, bad script, bad direction, good budget. Is anyone even surprised anymore? Hell, this movie was better with Van Damme in and Ming Na was a FAR superior Chun Li. What are they remaking next? The Birds? Rififi? ...oh. Hollywood died with Kubrick.
  26. BrianH.
    Feb 28, 2009
    I can't even explain how aweful this movie is. Casting, Acting, Fighting, Scenery, Story, Dialogue, this is just BAAAAAAD, and not bad in a good way like the 1994 Street Fighter movie.
  27. ChadS.
    Feb 28, 2009
    Shoot the piano player. That's the objective. How hard can it be to shoot a concert pianist? Very hard, as it turns out; like in the nightclub scene, where the piano player does a handstand and kicks the guns out of four shooters' hands by virtue of a fluid pirouetting motion. Don't mess with Hong Kong via San Francisco, with a matriculating stint in New York, somewhere in Shoot the piano player. That's the objective. How hard can it be to shoot a concert pianist? Very hard, as it turns out; like in the nightclub scene, where the piano player does a handstand and kicks the guns out of four shooters' hands by virtue of a fluid pirouetting motion. Don't mess with Hong Kong via San Francisco, with a matriculating stint in New York, somewhere in the timeline; don't mess with a Julliard grad. Some of them know Wushu. Rachmaninoff isn't just for girly girls. Concert pianist/martial arts expert: that's a pretty absurd notion of being multi-talented, but for a film like "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li", musicianship serves as shorthand for character development. Unfortunately, the girl's piano career is subordinated as a tangent, in favor of her other, more kinetic pursuit. When Chun-li(Kristin Kreuk) goes underground in Thailand, the concert pianist explains that she has to forget her past, in order to become one with Bangkok. How convenient for the film's cross-purposes. Instead of being one of the common people(like the slumming rich girl in Pulp's "Common People": Chun-li's rich, too; she says goodbye to her servants before going "Bangkok Forgetful"), Chun-li could have stayed off the streets by playing the piano in some dive(and evoke Francois Truffaut's "Tirez sur le pianiste"). But that won't do; after all, "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-li" has no real aspirations of being a proper movie. It's pleased as punch with its essentiality of cheesy and uninspired fight sequences under the adulterated facade of girl power. Having the accomplished girl shed her identity just makes it easier for the film to ply its patriarchial bent. Sure, Chun-li kicks ass, but she's under the tutelage of a man. How do you say "To Sir With Love" in Mandarin? So the film takes away her best asset: her fingers. For the film's target audience, a woman who supports herself by playing the piano for tip money may constitute the rumblings of a chick flick. Expand
  28. GregoryN.
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not bad! Not as bad as some might be saying and if you actually played Street Fighter, you might appreciate the movie a little bit more.
  29. ryuk
    Feb 27, 2009
    Utterly crap, waste of money and time.

Overwhelming dislike - based on 11 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Rob Nelson
    Neither the best nor the worst of movies derived from videogames, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li at least gives action fans plenty to ogle besides the titular heroine (Kristin Kreuk), whose original incarnation, legend has it, was among the first distaff figures controllable by joystick.
  2. Reviewed by: Jim Ridley
    Idiot plotting and dialogue are what you'd expect from a genre that typically rewards narrative development with a skip function. But the rote fight scenes are a disappointment.
  3. Reviewed by: Jeremy Wheeler
    There's something special about this underwhelming mess of a Street Fighter reboot that many cinematic cheese-lovers will find very appetizing. The fact is that The Legend of Chun-Li is not at all a good flick, but it's filled with so much cornball ineptitude that one would think some rather broken mad movie genius was behind it.