7.9

1. Nov 1, 2013
    If you haven't established a philosophy for yourself yet, you will when you watch this movie. As the young man speaks the opening quote of the most realistic words I've probably ever heard, you will stay put in your seat, and sucked into finishing it. The movie is perfect- realism, detail, breaking the fourth wall (as minimally as possible), romance, humor, disaster, struggle of adolescence, bullying- I simply loved it. Plus, if you have a Netflix account, it is on there and has been for quite a while. I watch this movie at least once a month. Expand
  2. Feb 24, 2013
    Submarine delves into the delicate situations that a typical adolescent teen will most likely face as they approach the age of raging hormones and thinking they have the most difficult life imaginable, and of course, losing their virginity.
    For the Oliver Tate (Craig Roberts), he often imagines himself outside of his own body, and with an opening segment of how he thinks (or how he wants
    to believe) that people would react to his death, this sets the tone for this fantastic coming-of-age film which is dangerously funny but subtly charming from debut director Richard Ayoade.
    Of course, no teen melodrama is compete without the female presence, and Oliver longs after the broken Jordana (Yasmin Paige) who is, in most ways, the female counterpart of our young protagonist.
    The film deals primarily with how an adolescent judges and acts upon common situations, whether it be in their own home or of course at school, and as Roberts narrates in a very detailed and logistic manner, we come to understand his characters life, his mother and fathers failing marriage, his awkward yet romantic relationship with Jordana and his struggles with trying to be accepted in school.
    Submarine is told in a very fast-paced and artistic style, with the story-telling left to the talented actors and actresses in the form of Roberts, Paige, Noah Taylor and Paddy Considine.
    The film avoids the usual routine of teen movies with the over- abundance of sexual frustration, the film does deal with this head on, but does so in a quirky and unorthodox away that is beneficial not only to the likeable leads, but also to the pacing of the stories and its originality.
    Craig Roberts turn as the disgruntled teen is the standout of the film, he captures our imagination as to what crazy but meaningful things we have experimented on or considered in our younger days, and just how fast our mind can work when we are thrown into awkward or uncomfortable situations, he talks fast but gets the point across, and his analysis of scenarios that occur in his life are clever, but they don't try to throw in your face, thus making this film spontaneously funny, sometimes in the 'we maybe shouldn't laugh about that' moments, but his voice makes it seem ok to do so.
    A well written, thoughtful and superbly acted film, incorporating dark comedic moments with artistic and unique filming that brings something fresh and intriguing to the teen drama.
  3. Jul 25, 2012
    I found it quite an artistic interpretation of adolescence. It was stylistic, used to the symbolism of certain ideas and values through art. Considering this stylistic form, you wouldn't be able to compare it to other films like this, neither arty films, like 'The Tree Of Life', though. It has a uniqueness that plays well with having a young-ish director, not to mention the intelligent, cute, perhaps subtly naive look of the protagonist - he made the film feel psychological, as when you're an adolescent, things can seem overwhelming, where you often don't know what's going on and you try and maintain control anyway by doing weird things. As of this, the film was neither too dumb or too clever. It strives for the best, despite the irony of losing a little control over trying to feel like an art form - a few scenes didn't make sense - but I guess that combining genres like these can make them look and feel quite beautiful. Expand
  4. May 21, 2012
    A genuine and beautiful story. I was hooked on this film from start to finish, and Richard Ayoade did not disappoint. The ending had me wanting more and longing for a sequel. This was fantastic work, and it has not gone unnoticed, or unforgotten.
  5. Jun 5, 2011
    Not perfect by any means, and the main character is odd and destructive to the point of not being relatable - but it's still effortlessly charming for the most part, especially towards the start and the end. Ayoade has better things to come. Definitely not for everyone
  6. Jun 5, 2011
    Normally I wouldn't give movies like this a 10, more of an 8 but due to the pretentious-steaming-pile-of-you-know-what people out there giving it a 0 I hae to try an balance it. Also Richard Ayoade is brilliant in everything he's done. Most notably 'The IT Crowd' and 'Garth Mergingi's Dark Place'. Please if you haven't seen it an only know the premise don't give it a rating. Your screwing with peoples bread and butter when you do. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Jul 16, 2011
    Does well in capturing the cruelty of school life and the assorted "types" who inhabit schools there and here. But it's more twee than clever, more affectionate than romantic and more promising than satisfying.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jun 16, 2011
    As an homage to an influential director, Submarine blows "Super 8" out of the water.
  3. Reviewed by: M. E. Russell
    Jun 16, 2011
    Submarine pulls off a nice little feat: It's a reference-heavy coming-of-age indie flick that feels fresh despite being, well, a reference-heavy coming-of-age indie flick.