Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: March 25, 2011
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 837 Ratings
WATCH NOW
BartMar 25, 2011
Wow, for a film with such promise, it was awful. How much slow motion can you put into a film. It was poorly written, acted, directed, and a waste of some otherwise potentially attractive and talented actresses. It was like a series ofWow, for a film with such promise, it was awful. How much slow motion can you put into a film. It was poorly written, acted, directed, and a waste of some otherwise potentially attractive and talented actresses. It was like a series of music videos, none of which were very good. Heaven forbid if the studios let this yahoo direct the Superman reboot., as it will be even worse than the Brian Singer reboot. What will we end up with, Superman in a g-string fighting a giant slow motion Lex Luther, neither with any character depth or decent dialogue? Expand
kotayAug 19, 2011
quite possibly the worst movie i have ever seen, completely void of plot and tries to be "deep" but fails so hard. Couple of hot women in there though.
EpicLadySpongeMay 18, 2016
Sucker Punch decides to miss the punch and Zack Snyder is the reason why the user score is at a positive standing. Please don't listen to those people, they love to defend every Zack Snyder film.
metamorphosisDec 17, 2011
Question: Is Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch"
(a) An exploitative epic in which young, submissive women are unable to kill a man but are able to erotically dance for his pleasure?
(b) A feministic call-to-arms exploring the virtues of erotic
Question: Is Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch"
(b) A feministic call-to-arms exploring the virtues of erotic capital in a world where all men are evil except the old ones with no sex drive who drive buses?
(c) A comic-book nerd-fantasy of dragons, undead soldiers and hot girls in tight skirts?
(d) A video game in which the audience is played like chumps for cash?
(e) A dreadful overuse of budget, showing that something can be amazingly pretty but still completely boring?

That's right. The answer is (f) A complete pile of steaming dog turd.
M
Kallins3122Jun 20, 2011
The trailer was more exiting than the movie. My expectations was high on this movie (since it's from the guy who made ''300'' and ''Watchmen'') but I wasn't able to find any enjoyment by viewing this movie. Good Points: Special Effects,The trailer was more exiting than the movie. My expectations was high on this movie (since it's from the guy who made ''300'' and ''Watchmen'') but I wasn't able to find any enjoyment by viewing this movie. Good Points: Special Effects, Chicks with guns. Negative Points: Poor story, lack of contents. Expand
jtb1137Aug 7, 2011
Please just stay away from this one. Awful movie. Almost a nonexistent story line, unlikable characters (minus the fact that they are fairly attractive), and garbage covers that pass as this movie's sound track. I usually disagree withPlease just stay away from this one. Awful movie. Almost a nonexistent story line, unlikable characters (minus the fact that they are fairly attractive), and garbage covers that pass as this movie's sound track. I usually disagree with critics but not this time. Zach Snyder has let his recent popularity get to his head. Im all for the "leave your brain at the door" movie, but this just kind of sucked. I just did not enjoy this movie one bit. Expand
JmgAug 14, 2011
The film was very boring and honestly wanted to leave after 10 minutes and if I was alone I would have done so. Very boring film.
asthobaskoroJun 3, 2011
Opening music? Cool. First Baby Doll fight in imagination featuring rock music? Excellent. The rest? Rubbish. We need the real you, Zack Snyder! Your two latest movie are sucks, really I'm your fan.
ShyfoxApr 22, 2011
Terrible character development, ridiculous and poorly written story. Reallllly wish I could have my time and money back. Don't let the fanboys blind you, Save yourself!
dancrumMay 10, 2011
I am not sure how they could have made a worse movie. This was just... so bad. Too many pointless layers. Tons of action scenes that are still somehow boring. The story makes little to no sense. It's just... why?
lilkillpappyAug 4, 2011
Boring, boring, boring! soulless crap with zero emotional impact for anyone with half a brain. From Watchmen to this crap?? Wanted to like it so much, liked certain scenes, but in the end it was so annoying that I ended up just hating it.
ArkonBladeJul 13, 2011
i wanted to like this film. i mean a bunch of sexy girls with guns kicking ass with some cool visaul effects sounds great!... but they forgot a plot that made any lick of sense . i mean i dont know how to even explain wtf is goin on in thisi wanted to like this film. i mean a bunch of sexy girls with guns kicking ass with some cool visaul effects sounds great!... but they forgot a plot that made any lick of sense . i mean i dont know how to even explain wtf is goin on in this film other then its about 5 girls planninjg a escape from some place where they are held hostage i guess and forced to dance ... and ever time baby doll dances she starts fighting giant statues , dragons , steam nazies ... yes steam nazies ... yeah.. thats nazies powered by steam... and other strange things. i mean the action and effects arnt bad but my brain felt like it was frying out trying to figure out WTF is going on!? she is starting to dance now she's fighting steam nazies... what the hell man. i couldnt really enjoy the action because of that . i mean she's dancing for some guy and now she's fighting STEAM NAZIES!!! how the hell did we get to that from dancing???? i mean i like action but when the plot makes no damn sense like this movies does i just cant get into it and turned it off when they got to a train fighting theese robots ... i felt like my head was gona explode from the stupidity of the story telling. i mean if you are going to wach this my best advice is just fast foward to where they start fighting ignore the plot entirely and just enjoy the action . Expand
BairdoJul 27, 2011
WTF, man? I couldn't get past the fact that this movie was silly as hell without trying to be. Maybe I would have enjoyed it if I was wearing a zipper mask and whipping some gagged gimp. It was like a snuff version of Black Swan/Cuckoo's NestWTF, man? I couldn't get past the fact that this movie was silly as hell without trying to be. Maybe I would have enjoyed it if I was wearing a zipper mask and whipping some gagged gimp. It was like a snuff version of Black Swan/Cuckoo's Nest set in an apocalyptic wasteland. Actually that's being too kind, that sounds vaguely cool. Anyway, there's only so many times I can see some hero land knees bent, one hand on the ground (the other outstretched for balance), and look up slowly. That's some corny over-used **** right there (see Iron Man 2, N'Sync, etc...) Expand
erwillyJun 25, 2011
Sucker puke. Top ten quotes:
how could a movie which trailer promised to have 5 scantily-clad females kicked ass with guns and swords be so boring and unbearably tiresome?.
It was poorly written, acted, directed, and a waste of some
Sucker puke. Top ten quotes:

Terrible character development, ridiculous and poorly written story.

This film had potential... everything just went terribly wrong. The plot was shallow. The action fell short. The dialogue was comedic at times
klawhammerJun 18, 2011
This film was written directed and produced by one guy but I have no idea who paid for it. There really is no story to understand here. It feels like a couple of 8 year old kids got together and just started making a movie.
Because the entire
Because the entire film happens in the imagination of a crazy girl it is really hard to care about what happens to any of the characters. One of the worst films I have seen in a long time.
kat43081Jul 23, 2011
I am giving this movie a 2 only for the special effects. Otherwise, this movie sucker sucks a$$. Incomprehensible story and empty characters. Seems like they mindread a 14 yr old pre pubescent boy's dirty thoughts and made this piece of sh*t!
MorrisJul 6, 2011
The visuals, and effects are Stunning and dazzling, wow. But is that seriously all they thought they needed? Apparently. The character development was some of the worst I've EVER seen in a movie. The main Character is basically summed up in aThe visuals, and effects are Stunning and dazzling, wow. But is that seriously all they thought they needed? Apparently. The character development was some of the worst I've EVER seen in a movie. The main Character is basically summed up in a music video in the beginning, then hardly talks the rest of it. I felt nothing for any of the characters. The story is non existent, or if present at times it hardly made sense. The only reason I can possibly think of people giving this movie a 10 (which is ridiculous, 10/10 = A PERFECT MOVIE, this is completely not perfect) is SOLELY because of the visuals, and that they are easily persuaded by dumb, good looking girls with guns, with vague personalities. The ONLY reason I gave this movie a 2 is because (and only because) of the work that the effects/cinematography team did, excellent work there. I loved the Watchmen, but this was atrocious. Expand
azathothJul 27, 2011
This movie makes no sense! It's a prolonged music video with beautiful special effects, and a horribly written story that MAKES NO SENSE! There's no reason that this should suck except that the story is horrible. The first act alone isThis movie makes no sense! It's a prolonged music video with beautiful special effects, and a horribly written story that MAKES NO SENSE! There's no reason that this should suck except that the story is horrible. The first act alone is atrocious and the last two acts were so much worse. I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening and damn near gave up after I found that it seemed like Snider didn't know either. Snider needs to stick with what he knows and that is adapting comics into movies. Expand
Anotherday1787Aug 12, 2011
This was the worst movie I have seen in a very long time. The acting and plot are horrible. It doesn't even make any sense. Snyder is really good at slow motion CGI crap, but give it a rest. How about you do something where you don't have toThis was the worst movie I have seen in a very long time. The acting and plot are horrible. It doesn't even make any sense. Snyder is really good at slow motion CGI crap, but give it a rest. How about you do something where you don't have to "check your brain at the door?" Expand
Delta_AssaultSep 28, 2011
Sucker Punch can be summed up in one sentence: Style over substance. The film's just unpleasant. I can enjoy some lighthearted action romp, but this one intercuts the ridiculous fantasy action with scenes of girls getting beaten, almostSucker Punch can be summed up in one sentence: Style over substance. The film's just unpleasant. I can enjoy some lighthearted action romp, but this one intercuts the ridiculous fantasy action with scenes of girls getting beaten, almost raped, stabbed, shot in the head, and ultimately lobotomized. I don't want to see that **** Don't get me wrong, I understand that dark and twisted stuff happens in films. If it's some sort of a profound story about the human condition or the heart of darkness inside man... fine, that's absolutely appropriate. But here, it just felt so schizophrenic and off-putting, didn't it? Also, it drove me crazy how almost every big scene had to have some popular song immediately pounding on my eardrums. I thought the musical choices worked in 300, and mostly worked in Watchmen, but here it was just too damn much. They got obnoxious real fast. And here's something I didn't understand. So the way she mesmerizes people in the nightclub fantasy is by dancing (WHICH WE NEVER **** SEE!). But the nightclub is only a fantasy created by her mind. In the real world, she's in an insane asylum. So instead of dancing, what does she do to captivate people? The whole thing just made me want to go home and play video games. The giant samurai with the chaingun for no **** reason? That can exist in a video game, sure. Shooting through armies of robots and zombies and robot zombies with silenced assault rifles and Mechs... yeah, great. That's wonderful video game fare. But in a movie, it's just silly and makes no sense. There's no connection, no reason for why it's happening. The excuse is, of course, it's all happening in her mind, they're fantasies of hers, it doesn't need to make sense. That's the excuse they'll give. But that's not enough for me. There's no consequence, no meaning to any of it. And it lost me.

Snyder's worst film to date.
ZalJan 11, 2012
I really find it surprising that so many people like this movie. It really was a chore to watch this.

None of the characters are interesting. They don't have any specific characteristics and those who do are not likable. They are all 1-dimensional at best. The acting was really bad too. These are fairly good actors but they all suck in this movie, especially Carla Gugino as Dr. Gorski, who speaks with this unbelievably corny Polish accent. The only performance that was actually okay was John Hamm at the end.

Even the action, one of the highlights of this movie, is not even that good. I liked the dragon sequence, but everything else was badly choreographed and unbelievably long. That scene in the trenches literally lasted for 9 minutes and I was completely bored. With films like The Musketeer, while everything about it is terrible, the thing that keeps me from hating it is the action. But it wasn't just random sword fighting. That film had some of the most creative action scenes that I have ever seen in any film. Of course, it was not enough for me to see it as a good film, but it kept me from hating it.

The fantasy scenes were creative but they make no sense in the context of the story. This takes place in the 1950s. Why does it look like I'm watching a live action anime? And I don't understand what all of the stuff in the film is supposed to represent. I know people will say, "oh, but the time period doesn't matter." If that's the case, then why not just put the story in the 21st century? Why move it to te 50s if you're not going to bother to make it look like the 50s?

In terms of the feminist aspect, there are very mixed views about it. Some say that it is sexist because of the outfits that the girls where. I don't see that. Yes, they are revealing but they aren't being sexually exploited. There are not close ups of the girls' cleavage or butt. Others say that it is empowering to females. I don't see that either. What? A girl can sort of kick butt - in her head, mind you - and all of a sudden she's a good role model? No, she's not. She needs to be a good character first and foremost, and none of these girls are developed.

Really, none of this would be a big issue where it not for the film trying to be dark and gritty. If Zack Snyder was content with just making a fun, dumb film with lots of action and no real story, I might not see it as a masterpiece but I'd respect it more. Here, it thinks it's saying something about women fighting for their freedom and it doesn't work. Again, there is the issue of the time period. What is the point of setting it in the 50s when there is nothing to suggest that it takes place in the 50s

I think a lot of people who like this film like it for two reasons. One, the action. While I don't particularly care for it as much as everyone else, I can see why everyone else would like it. Two, the concept. In theory, this seems like an interesting film. A girl who is imprisoned escapes to a fantasy world where she envisions herself as a powerful person. But it's not about how good a concept is. It's about execution and the execution of this plot is, quite frankly, bad. And don't try to tell me that this is some brilliant, pro-feminist film because that's not what I see, but I don't see it as some exploitation film either. You want a pro-feminist movie? Go find a Hayao Miyazaki film.

I can understand the appeal with the likable actors, big action scenes, and "pro-feminist" qualities. But don't try to convince me that this film is good, because I do not see the genius, if any.
BrianMcCriticAug 16, 2013
Zack Snyder really knows how to do visuals, unfortunately when it comes to Sucker Punch that's pretty much it. Story wise there is just nothing important and the characters don't matter. Half way through this film I was wondering how IZack Snyder really knows how to do visuals, unfortunately when it comes to Sucker Punch that's pretty much it. Story wise there is just nothing important and the characters don't matter. Half way through this film I was wondering how I could be so bored with a film that looked so good, the answer nothing matters. D- Expand
ddawson311Mar 30, 2011
I've actually been an avid follower of this site for just under 10 years and have never written a review before. I felt that I had to write a review for this movie just to deter anyone from seeing it. I went with a group of six and eachI've actually been an avid follower of this site for just under 10 years and have never written a review before. I felt that I had to write a review for this movie just to deter anyone from seeing it. I went with a group of six and each person in my group separately said it was the worst movie they've ever seen. The storyline completely sucks, the acting is horrendous, and the soundtrack was the cheesiest piece of kitsch I've ever heard. The critics are right on this one, and the 118 brainless people who gave this a positive review must've been slipped a twenty spot as they exited the theater. Expand
BubbaHitoMar 25, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't get the point of this movie. I understand the set up of misogynist themes and the ensuing revenge tale, but it's too much to stomach watching low-life characters kill the daring heroes. Also, using a "lobotomy" as a plot device is just awful. Technically, this film is a marvel. The direction, the acting, the special effects are all wonderful achievements. The actors in this movie act out scenes of dialogue that are just ridiculous at times and still manage to make them believable and compelling somehow. The parts of the whole deserve great credit and the action scenes, while borrowing heavily from video games, are shockingly well done. And, to be frank, it's tough to not like the idea of our cast of heroes jumping out of airplanes and decimating steam-power zombie fascists (of all things).

But, in the end, this is a movie where really the bad guys win. If Zack Snyder's aim was to break the formulaic mold that has persevered in the industry for so long, I can understand. But I don't think this was the way to do it. I love Zack Snyder and am eagerly awaiting his next project, being an enormous fan of his Watchmen (and its excellent treatment of the source material). He's remarkably talented and ahead of his time, but this film will be a learning experience for him. It's going to take me a week to get this terrible movie out of my head.
highwiredaysMar 30, 2011
HOLY **** this movie was just bad. I don't even want to waste time reviewing it. It had video game like action but that is about it. It was boring, boring and...... boring. Dumb story that made the action just pointless and really, the actionHOLY **** this movie was just bad. I don't even want to waste time reviewing it. It had video game like action but that is about it. It was boring, boring and...... boring. Dumb story that made the action just pointless and really, the action wasn't that good, nice effects but that can't make a movie.... it makes a nice trailer but whatever, this is the same guy that tricked us with 300 and Watchmen. Fuuuuuuuuuuuunk. this guy is going to be directing Superman, now that is just a crime. Expand
dellamorteMay 10, 2011
THIS IS THE GREATEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!! There Mr Snyder, will you please untie my family and let them go now. Quick kids run, run. He can't hurt you anymore I promise. And don't worry nobody will everTHIS IS THE GREATEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!! There Mr Snyder, will you please untie my family and let them go now. Quick kids run, run. He can't hurt you anymore I promise. And don't worry nobody will ever force you to re-evaluate Watchmen as an under-rated classic of our time again. Expand
anneiveMar 25, 2011
It's not trying to be a mindless movie about hot girls killing robots and samurai. It's trying to be a serious movie with a serious plot, and it fails. It tries to give the characters depth, and fails. It tries to make the action visceral andIt's not trying to be a mindless movie about hot girls killing robots and samurai. It's trying to be a serious movie with a serious plot, and it fails. It tries to give the characters depth, and fails. It tries to make the action visceral and pull the viewer into it, but the awful pacing, lack of tension and being PG-13 kill it. It's people we don't care about killing endless waves of mooks we don't care about, and I know the trailer makes you believe otherwise, but it gets really boring. If you want to see an over-the-top visual candy shop of a movie, watch The Fifth Element or Tron Legacy. Expand
KriillaMay 10, 2011
It sucked it was boring and i understood nothing. The only good thing in the movie was that the chicks were hot. i went to the cinema with my friends and they all thought it sucked donkey. DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Jpwilson1984Mar 25, 2011
Save your money. Sucker Punch...sucked. A vapid and empty slow-mo-CGI crap-fest with an oh-so-thin outer shell consisting of a prosaic premise and pseudo-allegorical "quest story" that serves as nothing more than a vehicle for Zach Snyder'sSave your money. Sucker Punch...sucked. A vapid and empty slow-mo-CGI crap-fest with an oh-so-thin outer shell consisting of a prosaic premise and pseudo-allegorical "quest story" that serves as nothing more than a vehicle for Zach Snyder's geek-fetish porn. Unless you really, really like slow-mo. Then Snyder's your guy and this your movie. The "action" sequences certainly have action in them. Too bad they lack any drama or entertainment. Perhaps if Snyder had started the film in one of the "unreal" environments - outside of Baby Doll's head - it may have created more excitement, intrigue, tension...anything. Unfortunately, they are simply very expensive fantasy/sci-fi set pieces, ways for Snyder to put everything swirling around in his head on the screen, story, characterization and thematic relevance be damned. Don't be fooled, this is not a "empowered feminist" type of film. I don't think exploiting all the cliches of violence and degradation of women with "young" women half-clothed throughout the entirety of the film and then saying "See, they 'win' in the end!" counts. Terribly, terribly disappointing. Expand
PeeAyyMar 26, 2011
OMG...2 hours of my life I will NEVER get back. Now...I have seen literally thousands of movies, and action/fantasy are 2 of my favorite genres, but WTF was this? How did that pass for an actually plot? Love the girls, guns, and effects, butOMG...2 hours of my life I will NEVER get back. Now...I have seen literally thousands of movies, and action/fantasy are 2 of my favorite genres, but WTF was this? How did that pass for an actually plot? Love the girls, guns, and effects, but cmon, give us something to entrall more than a freaking oaf. The plot is laughable. Its sooooo ridiculous, that I'm actually writing this @ 1:37 am. Other than special effects, action sequences, and hot chicks, this is (and this is NOT exaggerating) one of the WORST movies I have ever seen in 29 years on this earth. Is the deep message "stand up for your rights"? or "women can do anything"? PLEASE. Save your 12 bucks folks, and stick with your gut ("limitless"). And PLEASE stop tricking us with "from the makers of 300", the title is getting ruined. The movie sure lives up to its title. Expand
BORFMar 27, 2011
This movie was just awful. I went to it on opening night with no expectations at all and was still disseminated. This movie was a plotless, actorless excuse to show girls' naughty parts on a big screen. I've never been so bored whileThis movie was just awful. I went to it on opening night with no expectations at all and was still disseminated. This movie was a plotless, actorless excuse to show girls' naughty parts on a big screen. I've never been so bored while watching a movie, I kept looking at my watch to see when this terrible movie would be over. Expand
ZabbotMar 27, 2011
I am disappointed the score meter doesn't allow for negative numbers. Given the option, I would have rated it -2.

This movie was mediocrity wrapped in badness then deep-fried in boiling failure.
MadMonkMar 25, 2011
how could a movie which trailer promised to have 5 scantily-clad females kicked ass with guns and swords be so boring and unbearably tiresome? five ways: shoddy story, childish dialogues, use familiar covered songs to tell the story, usehow could a movie which trailer promised to have 5 scantily-clad females kicked ass with guns and swords be so boring and unbearably tiresome? five ways: shoddy story, childish dialogues, use familiar covered songs to tell the story, use plenty of slo-mo, rehash action sequences from other better movies. the video game probably rocks more than the movie. Expand
CaptiosusMar 26, 2011
I can't really give this film a solid review because, in all honesty, at about the halfway point I lost any and all interest in it. It's just a bunch of visuals thrown together with a razor thin plot that doesn't make much sense, wrapped in aI can't really give this film a solid review because, in all honesty, at about the halfway point I lost any and all interest in it. It's just a bunch of visuals thrown together with a razor thin plot that doesn't make much sense, wrapped in a "come see these hot women" wrapper. Borderline exploitative. You'd think I'd be interested in such nonsense, loving video games and being male, but no. I am fully capable of "checking my brain at the door" for movies, but this one pushed well beyond that prerequisite. I will say this, however: I have NEVER seen so many people get up and leave a movie before it was over. Ever. Long before the credits rolled, more than half of the people had LEFT. That, folks, speaks volumes. Expand
JJBrunsMar 27, 2011
I created an account just to vent on how much I wish I had not wasted my Saturday night on the garbage that is Sucker Punch. No one should say "It's like the comic book, the dialogue is supposed to be campy!". Punch that person if they sayI created an account just to vent on how much I wish I had not wasted my Saturday night on the garbage that is Sucker Punch. No one should say "It's like the comic book, the dialogue is supposed to be campy!". Punch that person if they say that and go watch Watchmen. This movie needed an overhaul. An R rating (just for language and violence) would be nice. It looked like Baby Doll had watched too many other movies to come up with her own fantasy world. Orcs from Lord of the Rings, Kill Zone masks, I-Robot... I asked myself, why the hell is Sailor Moon fighting I-Robot? Isn't that Will Smith's job? It was like one long Bijork music video.... that song was played at least 3 times in the movie. Expand
ShiiraApr 2, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The last we saw of Janie she was standing at the gates of her palatial estate where a sympathetic detective draped a blanket over her shoulders and led the tearful girl away to an nearby patrol car. Directed by David Fincher, short-form music video for Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun" told the story of a girl's revenge against her incestuous father with great economy and a surprising amount of sensitivity. In the end, the father got his just desserts: "a bullet in his brain". Steven Tyler, of all people, found himself standing on solid moral ground. Unlike Janie, in "Sucker Punch", Baby Doll(Emily Browning) fails in her attempt to deliver a "last IOU", when she accidentally guns down her younger sister instead of the stepfather who was about to rape the barely pubescent girl in the closet. Sent to a mental institution, Baby Doll reimagines the hospital facilities as a bordello, run by an impresario known as Blue(Oskar Issac) and a Polish dance instructor named Vera(Carla Gugino), where she and the other femme inmates dance in provocative outfits for men. To escape the humiliation of being objectified, Baby Doll slips into a dream state, but the diversionary scenarios in which she and the other girls make like bad-ass action stars occur in masturbatory landscapes that are wholly male constructions, fanboy-imagined designs. It's **** not female empowerment, when the women discharge their firearms. They're sex objects, not heroes. Baby Doll knows what boys like: fire-breathing dragons, Japanese robots, and steampunk zombie Nazis. The Lennox Institute for the Mentally Insane could have been anything: a circus, a lawyer's firm, a newspaper company, but Baby Doll was molested(or worse) by her stepfather, so it's not surprising that she sees herself as a prostitute working in a whorehouse, since many women who make their living in the sex industry are reported to have been abused as children. "Where is My Mind?", featured prominently in Fincher's "Fight Club", solidifies the "Janie's Got a Gun" connection, since a cover version(sung by Browning herself, backed by Yoav) of the Pixies classic plays over the soundtrack in "Sucker Punch" while the doctor prepares Baby Doll for a lobotomy procedure. If the filmmaker was serious about feminism, he would have included a dreamy interlude where the abused young woman exacts some vigilante justice on her sleazy stepdad. It's infuriating how the father gets to keep all of Baby Doll's inheritance money. At the very least, she could have dispatched Sweet Pea(Abbie Cornish) to do her bidding. Quite appropriately, when Sweet Pea boards the bus during the film's final scene, the Wise Man(Scott Glenn), the man who was guiding our protagonist, is behind the wheel. In "Sucker Punch", the sisters aren't doing it for themselves. They're kicking ass for the sexual gratification of teenaged boys. It's a man who is driving this bus, a man who pays feminism mere lip service as an excuse to remake "Showgirls" without any gratuitous pelvic gyrations and moneymaker shaking(the film cuts away each time to a dream sequence, therefore preserving its PG-13 rating). Where's Steven Tyler, noted humanitarian, when you need him? Expand
DukeTuringMar 25, 2011
Meh.

Meh.

30-ish mins of kick-ass music videos held together by one-dimensional non-characters, inexcuseablely bad writing, flat performances, and porno-thin gauze plot that alternated between ham-fisted and nonsensically self-important. Save your money, rent it from a vending machine in a few months.
peanut1015Mar 27, 2011
Wow. What could have been. This movie was so boring the 10 year old boy that was with us said he just wanted it to be over (half way through). The visuals were cool (for the few minutes) but the rest of the movie was just plain boring. AndWow. What could have been. This movie was so boring the 10 year old boy that was with us said he just wanted it to be over (half way through). The visuals were cool (for the few minutes) but the rest of the movie was just plain boring. And snyder's use of slo motion is exceedingly overused. There was two women next to me at the show and they just kept laughing at how stupid this movie was. At least it wasn't as bad as skyline. Expand
imaginarysoundsMar 26, 2011
First off, I'll say quite simply that Sucker Punch was a mess of a movie; but if you aren't the kind of movie goer to think for one second about what you're watching--you won't notice.

The story is boring and simple. The "cool" parts

The story is boring and simple. The "cool" parts (which, lets be honest, is why we saw the movie in the first place) are so far removed from the plot that you really have to look for the connection. They were like Family Guy jokes.

Snyder tries soo hard to be epic and give you testosterone goosebumps that he forgets to have a sense of humor or irony and that's where Sucker Punch falls flattest for me. I thought about the movie Scott Pilgrim through the whole thing. Whatever your views on Pilgrim, you can't argue that that movie did not take itsself seriously and had fun. Sucker Punch does not. Snyder force feeds the "cool" visuals down your throat and wants you to believe it and not question it and that leaves it with no soul whatsoever. Yeah, cool you killed a dragon and the epic orchestra music queued right as it's lifeless head hit the ground. Anymore cliche's you can throw my way?

Another aggravating part that is tied to the seriousness is how the movie tries to have a message, a message about life, and angels, and some other **** that didn't really have anything to do with the story. That's the thing, it's just tacked on. Eh, I just don't care to write anymore about it. The only positive thing I have to say about it is that the soundtrack was pretty damn good. I was surprised to hear Bjork, and the Pixies, Beatles, and Stooges covers were very interesting.

But all in all Sucker Punch is a failure of what I hope was just an experiment for Snyder. I know he's got a masterpiece in him somewhere, but this is far from it.
HaVoK308Mar 25, 2011
What a waste. Clearly ruined by attempting to cash in on a larger audience by going cheesy and **** out with a PG-13 rating. This director just lost all credibility by selling out. Don't waste your time with this one.
mintleavesApr 7, 2011
Sucker Punch is the worst movie I have ever paid to see, do yourself a favor and DO NOT SEE IT. It's plot line is so hard to follow, most of the time I didn't even understand it. The way they went from real life to imagination, over and overSucker Punch is the worst movie I have ever paid to see, do yourself a favor and DO NOT SEE IT. It's plot line is so hard to follow, most of the time I didn't even understand it. The way they went from real life to imagination, over and over again it made the movie stupid and unbelievable. The only good thing about the movie was the special effects which were actually pretty cool, however with no actual story line they weren't appreciated and just made the movie more confusing. If you see a good review for this movie, it will have been written by a guy you just enjoyed young girls dancing around in underwear and fighting. This movie was terrible. Expand
zevbik2Mar 26, 2011
this is ridiculously bad
insectorbuglordMar 26, 2011
I am heavy weapons guy...

and this... is my weapon... she weight one hundred-fifty kilograms and fire $200 custom tooled cartridges at 10,000 rounds per minute... it costs 400,000 dollars to fire this weapon... for twelve seconds.... UHA
I am heavy weapons guy...

it costs 400,000 dollars to fire this weapon... for twelve seconds....

UHA HA HA... ha ha...

some people think they can outsmart me... maybe... maybe...

I've yet to meet one that can outsmart bullet...

also this movie sucks
InfiniteZeroMar 28, 2011
If someone would ask me to describe the mindhump i just saw:
Its was like Charlie's Angels, Matrix, Transformers and a donkey had a 4some on MTV music video and all of the participants were an all different kinds of drugs.
But, strangely
If someone would ask me to describe the mindhump i just saw:
But, strangely enough it wasn't entertaining...
fraigcultonApr 3, 2011
Im a fan of the transformers movies and i could tolerate skyline so i believed i could enjoy sucker punch.All these films have the same principal effects and fight scenes before plot and character development. However the plot in sucker punchIm a fan of the transformers movies and i could tolerate skyline so i believed i could enjoy sucker punch.All these films have the same principal effects and fight scenes before plot and character development. However the plot in sucker punch meant that the entire movie was pointless. The fight scenes were impressive and entertaining but they werent long enough or good enough for me to ignore the cons of this movie Expand
GorbaMar 25, 2011
I'll let William Shakespeare write his review for this film: "Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets her hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,I'll let William Shakespeare write his review for this film: "Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets her hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Expand
KewbambooMar 25, 2011
This film did not live up to my lowest of all expectations. The visuals were merely okay, the story was worse than terrible and the acting was hardly bearable. The music was pretty good, but I don't go to the movies for the soundtrack. TheThis film did not live up to my lowest of all expectations. The visuals were merely okay, the story was worse than terrible and the acting was hardly bearable. The music was pretty good, but I don't go to the movies for the soundtrack. The story could have been much better. I wonder if this is the result of the studio trying to draw in the younger generation so they had to pull some good stuff to get the PG-13 rating?? Or simply the story was never meant to be good and the CGI was the mass appeal. Not so much for me. I could hardly make it through the movie. Rent this if you are thinking about seeing this movie! Expand
SabinFrostApr 8, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On principle, this is the worst film I have ever seen in my entire life. I felt like I'd been tricked into sitting through a funeral because my favorite band were playing. If you're unsure how that would feel, call it an apt description of sitting through this abomination. This film takes all of the draws of box office cinema such as visceral action and sex appeal and applies it in all of the wrong places. Not to prove a point, though the narrative certainly highlights the plot, but rather to leave a bad taste in your mouth. It is a manipulative, subversive film, it objectifies hot girls through over the top action intended to symbolize an escape from being pimped out and sexually abused in a mental asylum. The average male cinema goer will look at those women, just like the perverted criminals abusing them, simply because they are shown a stylized version of otherwise disgusting events. Perhaps this is the point, a sick joke at society, at how everything is over-sexualized for entertainment and how the truth is often implied rather then seen, but honestly, I felt like taking a shower afterwards, that is how dirty it made me feel. It is as tactless as telling a dead baby joke to someone whose child has just died. It is like watching One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and 300 simultaneously and in doing so it trivializes a dark, serious plot. On the point of plot, I don't mind cinema with serious, graphic content, it wasn't the disturbing nature of the story, rather the narrative, the way it was told. Plenty of projected morals of freedom, plenty of inspiring narrated monologues, even an anti-stereotypical lead, a young girl portrayed as strong and bold, as opposed to vulnerable. Alice in Wonderland is an obvious comparison for the key ideas of the story, and while you can look into Alice, and interpret it as having darker undertones, it can also been seen and whimsical and fantastical, a child daydreaming, and many consider it a children's book. The point being that you can make a film about escaping from reality where the reality doesn't imply her sister and mother being killed by her step father in the first five minutes, before being thrown into a mental asylum to be medically turned into a vegetable while still sane. You cannot ask for a darker, more emotionally disturbing plot line, but the way it is delivered is subversive and purely disturbing through the layering of reality, fantasy and fantasy within a fantasy. Those who support the film could argue that is quite intentional to heighten the reality through the unbelievability of the fantasy and I'm sure it is, but the result is sickening, the way it objectifies mentally abused girls and trivializes serious events to the point the morals no longer carry weight. One could argue it was tongue in cheek, as exemplified through the scene where a character is 'acting' out the lobotomy on a stage being performed by hot nurses, refusing to do the scene on principal, but I didn't find myself laughing at the joke. It is clear the film is about the beneath the surface shock factor, what is unseen and implied rather then in your face gore. There is hardly a drop of blood in the whole film, and the film makes a direct point of not killing living humans during the fantasy action sequences. This eye candy, is sickeningly sweet, emphasis on the sickening, due to it's implications and while the old horror directors motto of being more scared of the shadow then the monster applies, the context is one to make you vomit in your mouth. I imagine the director would be proud of this response he has elicited, but I'd like to clarify that I'm not shocked, rather contemptuous of what I'd claim to be the worst story ever 'told'. In attempting to be surprising, confronting and daring, showing them something new, the only excitement the director provided me with was going home. Manipulative, subversive, off-putting, trivializing emotionally dak content through deception, this is the 'arty' box office cinema equivalent of a graphic horror film with flimsy moral justification for utter vulgarity. Expand
soldoutactivistMar 31, 2011
Sucker Punch is like a Spike Lee movie; substituting 1-dimensional men for 1-dimensional white people, complete with a few self-hating women. This movie is devoid of all worthwhile meaning and empowers only the kind of women who shouldn't beSucker Punch is like a Spike Lee movie; substituting 1-dimensional men for 1-dimensional white people, complete with a few self-hating women. This movie is devoid of all worthwhile meaning and empowers only the kind of women who shouldn't be allowed children. The theme is that women are useless in the real world and can succeed only in fantasy. All the positive reviews hype the action, the visuals, the nerd references. They say, "Leave your brain at the door." Saying this movie looks great so the rest doesn't matter is like enjoying a rape film because it has good cinematography. Oh and one more thing: the visuals weren't that great. Expand
MovieGuyBrianApr 1, 2011
SUCKER PUNCH - as in youâ
andieMar 28, 2011
Definitely a visual feast, the effects are **** beautiful!
But why did Zach Snyder make an $82 million movie if he could've just as easily made a low budget porno about fighting hookers with big guns? It would've gotten the same point across.
CapableyetiMar 30, 2011
If you have a compulsion for soft-core porn, only happen to find yourself in the theater instead, or care to share company with easily confused people (by dialogue, for example), then this one is for you. This is quite likely the mostIf you have a compulsion for soft-core porn, only happen to find yourself in the theater instead, or care to share company with easily confused people (by dialogue, for example), then this one is for you. This is quite likely the most horrific train wreck of a film I have ever seen in a theater, especially considering the talent of the director and the expectation of being entertained walking into the viewing. I could not supplant the thought of just how a film like this could make its way upon the screen. The plot was piss poor, the characterization was god awful, and the acting forced me into a decision of whether or not to hurl my giant soda at the screen (I have never had this compulsion so vividly before; it still angers me to consider the money that I spent that fateful evening). It is exactly what everyone would be watching if the concept behind "Idiocracy" became a reality: the mainstream media becomes the only artistic license in the world, all creative vision falls away, and special effects performs a total coup d' etat on substance. In other words, to quote Hunter S. Thompson, it is "what the whole hip world would be doing Saturday nights if the Nazis won the war (to paraphrase)." I am fully aware that this movie will nonetheless do quite well financially. However, Snyder should be ashamed of himself. Although his cinematography and effects can be quite masterful, I would be ashamed to call this a screenplay. Even in those intervals while witnessing some bullets whistling through the air in slow motion in the midst of some I Robot initiated fury, I could not answer why this was happening, how these scene selections were valid in any way, or what the $%*&@# point was (to be blunt). I never lost sight of the fact that I was in a movie theater, and that the movie would never shift into anything meaningful or even interesting. You can dress up a pile of feces, but it is still just that. Even if many are distracted by the glitter. Expand
insertnamehereApr 1, 2011
While visually impressive, this movie just blew hairy donkey balls. Normally, I'm pretty tolerant of movies. I've enjoyed some stinkers, but this one was just awful. I don't know if it was meant to be a comedy, but I laughed at how ridiculousWhile visually impressive, this movie just blew hairy donkey balls. Normally, I'm pretty tolerant of movies. I've enjoyed some stinkers, but this one was just awful. I don't know if it was meant to be a comedy, but I laughed at how ridiculous the action scenes were. The only good things about the movie was the hot chicks and some decent songs. This movie had such potential, but it felt like it was a live-action anime except without any real story. Expand
guyweknowApr 2, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A horrible muddle of somewhat good intentions, let us start by rating it from good to bad. Visual effects - 9. Nicely done, although a hiring qualification for modern visual directors should be to take them outside and make them stare up at that bright yellow orb in the sky. If they can properly name it as 'The Sun' then they're hired. I bet half or more flunk, including this film's director. Acting - 5. Now, it's not to say they had much scripting, but their green screen talents are much in evidence, and I'd even give bonus points if they did any of their own stunts. Costume - 4. Someone call Sailor Moon and tell her her costumes were stolen, just after you get done with the inventory of all the missing costumes for Showgirls. Soundtrack - 3. Ok, unearthing the Airplane and White Rabbit is kitchy but ok. It was rock & roll, after all, and they do just amp it up (but their cover singer is no Grace Slick, I'll tell you that, right out). But, after we hear the panoply from The Eurythmics to The Beatles and back it seems more like a transparent attempt to craft the next hipster soundtrack CD a la Pulp Fiction. Script - ... what script? Oh, you mean the video game storyboards that passed for a script? Really, it's eye candy, but I wondered at how the test marketing worked. Was this really aimed at the 14 year old GRRRL Power crowd? If so, it misses badly with a script that is more like a recycled version of the musical Chicago meets Pan's Labyrinth. To their credit, and maybe to keep their PG rating, there is little human bloodshed. But, man do the japaname space hun nazi robot zombies get it with both barrels (and a katana). As I told my viewing companions, once in a generation there is a movie better understood after splitting a lid of weed. This would make this film the newest 2001: A Space Odyssey. Heavy, man.â Expand
rover9495Apr 16, 2011
No No No No. Yes this film was well filmed and the action scenes were pretty good. The problem is apart from that it was pretty darn rubbish. It's another example of the modern idea that style is more important than substance when it comes toNo No No No. Yes this film was well filmed and the action scenes were pretty good. The problem is apart from that it was pretty darn rubbish. It's another example of the modern idea that style is more important than substance when it comes to films. I don't particularly care if the director has a good track record, this is definitely a blip. Expand
SoandsoApr 18, 2011
Ask yourself: do butt-kicking heroines have to be wearing nothing but underwear to be interesting? If not, then why are the ladies in this movie all allergic to pants? What are we to make of the fact that empowerment in this schema seems toAsk yourself: do butt-kicking heroines have to be wearing nothing but underwear to be interesting? If not, then why are the ladies in this movie all allergic to pants? What are we to make of the fact that empowerment in this schema seems to involve titillating 13-year old boys? Expand
OhRlyApr 1, 2013
Way to try to be "feminist" and fail hard. Seriously Zack, what's it gonna be? Sexy woman being seductive or strong defiant woman fending off the world? It's one or the other, nice visuals though.
JekSpaceyMay 3, 2014
If at the end of the "movie" had inserted instead of the credits the written "game over", I would have hated a lot less, because at least they would not have wanted to have the claim to be considered a "movie"!
LuigibarqsMay 28, 2012
Sucker Punch is a movie that is half Realistic Action Drama and half Unrealistic Fantasy Adventure, how does work you may ask? It doesn't work at all. The movie keeps jumping back and forth from a realistic drama to completely unrealisticSucker Punch is a movie that is half Realistic Action Drama and half Unrealistic Fantasy Adventure, how does work you may ask? It doesn't work at all. The movie keeps jumping back and forth from a realistic drama to completely unrealistic fantasy sequences (which are extremely longer than they have any business being mind you) that it gives me a headache trying to comprehend what is going on. The fantasy scenes are metaphors for dancing and the passion and determination of the characters, that I understand but unfortunately they are pointless and add nothing worthwhile to the to the story regarding story depth or character development. The fantasy scenes are such obnoxious special effect fests that make me lose track of the actual story and killed my interest completely in the movie. The music is passable at best, not good but not bad either. The trailer showed mostly the fantasy scenes which are not important or even relevant to the main story of the movie at all, talk about being on the very edge of the borderline of false advertising. >_> It baffles me to no end how anyone who designed and organized the scenes in the movie though it was a good idea, cut out all the pointless fantasy crap and unnecessary bloated special effects budget and promote the movie as the serious realistic drama it was intended to be in the main storyline and it could have been somewhat decent. What an absolute abomination of film making, 20 dollars form my wallet and 120 minutes of my life wasted, steer well away from this garbage. Minus 1 for false advertising in trailer, minus 1 for obnoxious and annoying special effects, minus 1 for pointless fantasy scenes as filler, minus 1 for too frequent transitions between story and fantasy, minus 1 for hard to follow story (due to fantasy scenes), minus 1 for lack of story depth, minus 1 for lack of character development in both main story and fantasy scenes, minus 1 for poor story and script writing overall. Final score: 2/10 Expand
KAS--WillSep 10, 2011
I rented this movie for approximately 24 hours, and I rewatched the movie 3 times, and fell asleep all 3 times. It's that bad. I'm not saying don't watch it, but I don't really know what's so special about it. I was really looking forwardI rented this movie for approximately 24 hours, and I rewatched the movie 3 times, and fell asleep all 3 times. It's that bad. I'm not saying don't watch it, but I don't really know what's so special about it. I was really looking forward to this movie, and it was kind of a let down. Next time I'll try using drugs like the 302 people that actually rated this movie positive. Expand
RedfordstoAug 21, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A girl is confined to an insane asylum unjustly and must escape. That sounds pretty awesome. However, the plot is so convoluted and overly sexed that what was once a good idea gets lost in slow motion action sequences and cleavage. Zack Snyder must have developed a complex after many critics questioned necessity of so much greased up man abs in 300. Expand
drachehexeJun 3, 2012
Don't believe the 8-10 scores fanboys give this movie. They are going to be the future of badly directed action films. This movie is boring. The characters are one dimensional, none have a personality worth liking or hating, the acting isDon't believe the 8-10 scores fanboys give this movie. They are going to be the future of badly directed action films. This movie is boring. The characters are one dimensional, none have a personality worth liking or hating, the acting is sub par, the concept of the story and it's gimmick is interesting but the director pulled it off poorly. Visually the movie is pleasant to look at, especially the girls, but it's gimmick is a cheap one and the story is written with the gimmick in mind and neither the story or the gimmick work well together or independent of each other. The action sequences are merely okay with more lows than highs. The director also can't make up his mind on what he wants the film to be. Sometimes it takes itself too seriously, other times not seriously enough. All in all this movie should have been better than it was but instead of being something fun and enjoyable what you end up is a rather decently looking mess of a film. Expand
islandAug 31, 2011
Poor film with a weak story line. I don't understand it all, it"s confused and boring. I though it was gonna be better because of the amount of the fans. Save yourself!
TheMudDoctorSep 1, 2011
Zack Snyderâ
liquefireSep 1, 2011
I watched this movie and felt like I ate a pack of rotten eggs only to have my brain scramble the entire story. Then I asked my wife if she knew what was going on and we both decided it would be better to turn this off. It's not artistic,I watched this movie and felt like I ate a pack of rotten eggs only to have my brain scramble the entire story. Then I asked my wife if she knew what was going on and we both decided it would be better to turn this off. It's not artistic, it's pretentious. It's not engaging, it's visually stunning. It's a very shallow movie and I would have rather ironed socks. Expand
SpunkyMonkeyAug 6, 2012
Wow this film is bad. Cut through all the crap about sexism, film premise or how it 'attempts to do something different' and it's just a badly made film that turns it's back on the basic rules of storytelling. The first 30 min of the filmWow this film is bad. Cut through all the crap about sexism, film premise or how it 'attempts to do something different' and it's just a badly made film that turns it's back on the basic rules of storytelling. The first 30 min of the film just leaves you thinking 'WTF's going on?' and unless you are devoid of any intelligence and just blindly accept what is put in front of you then you'll struggle to get into it. The characters lack any kind of depth (they're not even that hot either), the action sequences are those which you know lack any kind of consequence, and the ending is just woefully lackluster and poor. I can see what sort of audience may like this film - it's kind of like listening to Motorhead......real dumb and just something which appeases people who are happy just with a form of entertainment which ticks all the boxes in a checklist of what they want, but for those of you out there who operate on a higher level than dumb middle-class American airhead look elsewhere for your thrills. Expand
DemoraseAug 25, 2012
Not much to say, this is an absolutely mediocre movie. Some fight scenes and effects are nice... and that's it. "Characters" are not interesting in the least, the "plot" is ridiculous, it's overlong, over dramatic. I can't even enjoy it as aNot much to say, this is an absolutely mediocre movie. Some fight scenes and effects are nice... and that's it. "Characters" are not interesting in the least, the "plot" is ridiculous, it's overlong, over dramatic. I can't even enjoy it as a brainless fun because of serious it takes itself, this movie just fails on every possible level, except maybe the music which is pretty nice. This movie is just an epic disaster that could have been a career ender for Snyder if he hadn't had the presence of mind of securing Man of Steel prior to Sucker Punch. Let's just hope Man of Steel turns out better. Expand
SiddersFeb 7, 2012
No offense but all those people that have give this film a good review you need shooting. its an awful excuse for a movie. I'm surprised i managed to stay awake during the whole thing.
nlover4Jun 9, 2012
This movie does not deserve a score. The visuals are cool but as you watch them you wonder: what is the point. This movie does not deserve the time of day. It has a weak story with no real interest and ultimately unfathomable.
A_NorthernerApr 14, 2012
Graphic novel style action film based on an original screenplay from director Zack Snyder. Babydoll (played by Emily Browning) is sent to a mental institution for teenage girls and visages her escape from her captors through a series ofGraphic novel style action film based on an original screenplay from director Zack Snyder. Babydoll (played by Emily Browning) is sent to a mental institution for teenage girls and visages her escape from her captors through a series of fantastical quests. Although clearly inspired by Kill Bill, Inception and a host of modern day video games, credit has to be given to Snyder for the film's creative context but unfortunately that's about all it can be given for.

The fantasy within a fantasy concept does allow Snyder license to create some stunning looking fantasy backdrops and action sequences ranging from fighting giant samurai in feudal Japan to mechanical Nazi soldiers in a WWII bunker. The action sequences are visually stunning as you would expect from the director that delivered 300 and Watchmen and renowned for his graphic novel and video game style imagery. Although why a teenage girl would choose to invent such fantasy situations to serve as replications of the quests undertaken, except for the obvious reason of serving up gun-totting chick action for the likely audience, is unclear.

The all-action girl heroes attempt to complete a series of simplistic quests, dubbed 'the plan' and actually just involving obtaining several objects, to escape from their prison. Perhaps Snyder felt that the fantasy within a fantasy premise was as much as his target audience could handle, especially with all the teenage girls running around, and dumbed down 'the plan' to the point of having Babydoll write it down as a reference for the audience to understand the progress achieved. The quests are completed and ticked off, for the audiences benefit, with tedious repetition.

Snyder breaks the stereotype of the female role in action films and it is refreshing to see a team of girls manning machine guns, flying helicopters and fighting dragons, however the film is conflicted in its attempts to portray a spirit of female empowerment, which is relevant, when the female characters breaking out from their male oppressors are a group of nubile teenage girls scantily clad in school uniforms.

The fantasy within a fantasy premise and impressive visuals are not enough to cover the hollow and humourless characters and abysmal script. The rush of deaths in the film's final act feel too contrived as if Snyder realised with 10 minutes to go that some quick emotion was required in order to set up an attempt at a profound ending. The narrated dialogue over the final scenes is hard to appreciate after the previous ninety minutes which really did nothing more than serve up the literal definition of a teenage nerds wet dream. Imagine if MTV remade Inception crossed with Kill Bill for the video game generation and avoid.
AutiTakahashiJan 5, 2013
"Sucker Punch" ain't no movie. "Sucker Punch" is an excess of testosterone vomited into a reel of celluloid until it is violently splashed into the faces of its audience. The movie's advertisements are diligent in declaring its promise: "You"Sucker Punch" ain't no movie. "Sucker Punch" is an excess of testosterone vomited into a reel of celluloid until it is violently splashed into the faces of its audience. The movie's advertisements are diligent in declaring its promise: "You will be unprepared." They were right. I was not prepared for the overwhelming atrocity that I had to bear during the course of its running time. By the movie's end, I felt that my senses had been pummeled to dust.

The plot, if that's what you call it, is this: A grieving girl who has just lost her mother has been framed by her stepfather for murder, and is now imprisoned in a mental institution. A lobotomy awaits her. So, in the meantime, she creates a fantasy world of her own. Within that fantasy world, she creates another fantasy world, That's twice the fantasy. It's kinda like "Inception", only stupid.

The girl's fantasy actually belongs to Zack Snyder, writer and director. One of his most popular films is "300", a movie where its heroes wage war wearing nothing but a cape and their underwear, so the enemy could marvel at the sight of their abs, and get distracted. In "Sucker Punch", five young women charge into battles with their short skirts and high heels. In the fantasy world, the second one, the girls are against kamikaze robot bombers, blazing angry dragons, giant samurais, and, of course, a few hundred steam-powered Nazi zombies. Movies by Zack Snyder aren't about what's rational or comprehensible. Reaching its truest form in "Sucker Punch", Snyder makes movies to share with the world, his imagination, which was the vomit I was talking about earlier.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/sucker-punch-movie-review/"Sucker Punch" ain't no movie. "Sucker Punch" is an excess of testosterone vomited into a reel of celluloid until it is violently splashed into the faces of its audience. The movie's advertisements are diligent in declaring its promise: "You will be unprepared." They were right. I was not prepared for the overwhelming atrocity that I had to bear during the course of its running time. By the movie's end, I felt that my senses had been pummeled to dust.

The plot, if that's what you call it, is this: A grieving girl who has just lost her mother has been framed by her stepfather for murder, and is now imprisoned in a mental institution. A lobotomy awaits her. So, in the meantime, she creates a fantasy world of her own. Within that fantasy world, she creates another fantasy world. That's twice the fantasy. It's kinda like "Inception", only stupid.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/sucker-punch-movie-review/
Unblinking_EyeJul 19, 2012
Boring boring boring. You'll need a lobotomy just to get through this vapid "action" movie. If you want to be engrossed in cool visuals, google image search screen caps for this movie instead. You'll save time & money.
jirrenNov 1, 2012
Please don't waste your time on this horrible movie, its rare that I would consider walking out on a movie, but this movie tipped the balance. Its predictable, the story is nothing the action is boring. This movie is worse than live actionPlease don't waste your time on this horrible movie, its rare that I would consider walking out on a movie, but this movie tipped the balance. Its predictable, the story is nothing the action is boring. This movie is worse than live action Dragon Ball movie, hmm maybe that's going too far. Expand
Iky009Jan 6, 2014
Um filme que trata o expectador como idiotaUm filme que trata o expectador como idiota Expand
Rox22Mar 11, 2013
While it is visually impressive and has some really detailed set pieces, it does not save the fact that this movie really seems to cater to every juvenile teenage fantasy. It tries to be clever it fails and just insults us with a nonsensicalWhile it is visually impressive and has some really detailed set pieces, it does not save the fact that this movie really seems to cater to every juvenile teenage fantasy. It tries to be clever it fails and just insults us with a nonsensical script. It tries to empower women into action figures it fails and just makes them look like sex objects. Overall: I wouldn't be surprised if Zack Snyder secretly let his 14 year old crack-addled nephew direct this while he was off doing something else. The movie does have some good visuals that are jaw dropping and the girls are really hot, but the only way I think anyone could enjoy this is if they turn their brains off and let their genitals do all the thinking for the duration of the film. Expand
MovieMasterEddyApr 6, 2016
You could go to see “Sucker Punch” this weekend — a lot of people probably will, and a few may even admit as much back at the office on Monday — or you could try to make it yourself, which might be more fun, though not necessarily cheaper.You could go to see “Sucker Punch” this weekend — a lot of people probably will, and a few may even admit as much back at the office on Monday — or you could try to make it yourself, which might be more fun, though not necessarily cheaper. Here’s what you will need: a bunch of video-game platforms; DVDs of “Shutter Island,” “Kill Bill,” “Burlesque” and “Shrek”; some back issues of Maxim; a large bag of crystal meth; and around $100 million. Your imagination will take care of the rest.

Zack Snyder’s imagination is certainly feverish, though not exactly fertile. Mr. Snyder, whose previous live-action films are, in ascending order of quality, “300,” “Watchmen” and the 2004 remake of “Dawn of the Dead,” specializes in recombining pulp pop clichés into grotesque and bloated spectacles that show just enough visual bravura to be disappointing rather than merely awful. With “Sucker Punch,” his first movie not based on pre-existing material, he runs wild through the dank corridors of a gothic mental hospital, the velvety rooms of a high-end bordello and combat landscapes that evoke World War I, samurai epics and science-fiction futurism.

All of these might actually be the same place, as filtered through the mind of a young woman with enormous eyes and pouty lips who goes by the name Babydoll (Emily Browning). Confined to a creepy, windswept New England loony bin by her nasty stepfather in the wake of family tragedies, Babydoll slips through a series of mental trapdoors.

The hospital becomes a brothel, its imperious Polish chief psychologist (Carla Gugino) an imperious Polish madam and ballet instructor, and its sadistic head orderly (Oscar Isaac) a sadistic pimp named Blue Jones. Instructed to dance for clients — her virginity is being preserved for a half-mythic customer called the High Roller (Jon Hamm, who also plays a lobotomist) — Babydoll slips into a trance and passes, along with four of her fellow inmates, into a digitally rendered maelstrom of swordfights, aerial battles and big explosions.

The men who watch her performance back at the bawdy house also fall into a state of paralytic rapture. Viewers of the movie, denied (or perhaps spared) the sight of Ms. Browning’s gyrations, would be more apt to nod off if not for the incessant noise.

These interminable sequences of overscale mayhem are kinetic and elaborate but almost entirely lacking in tension, grace or visual wit. Babydoll and company leap around like video-game avatars, following the instructions of a crinkly faced guru played by Scott Glenn. “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” did a much better job of interpolating game logic into film narrative, but even that movie — incomparably more inventive than this one at a fraction of the cost — could not quite overcome the inherent tediousness of watching someone else play.

The fantasy-action-dance scenes at least offer some respite from the pervasive ugliness of “Sucker Punch,” not only for Babydoll, but for the rest of us as well. Soon after her arrival she is befriended by Rocket (Jena Malone), whose sister, Sweet Pea (Abbie Cornish, working hard and deserving better), has also been incarcerated. These three blondes are joined by the dark-haired and predictably expendable Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens) and Amber (Jamie Chung) in plotting a daring escape from wherever they are. As they scheme and scream and suffer, the actresses go along with Mr. Snyder’s pretense that this fantasia of misogyny is really a feminist fable of empowerment.

It is not just that the women are attired in garish boudoir fashions, cropped schoolgirl uniforms and the latest action lingerie. With a touch of humor — with any at all — “Sucker Punch,” which Mr. Snyder wrote with Steve Shibuya, might have acknowledged the campy, kinky aspects of its premise. But even as it exploits, within the hypocritical constraints of the PG-13 rating, salacious images of exposed flesh and threatened innocence, the film also self-righteously traffics in moral outrage.

Every fan of the old Hollywood westerns knows that certain crimes — sexual violence against women, the killing of children — justify extreme acts of brutal vengeance. Mr. Snyder, in the manner of some slasher auteurs of the 1970s, reverses the equation. You watch as women are terrorized and preyed upon, pre-emptively excused from the nastier implications of voyeurism by the knowledge that comeuppance is on the horizon. And since that’s the case, why not sit back and enjoy the show?

But there is nothing here to enjoy, beyond the tiny satisfaction in noting that the movie lives up to its name.