Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: March 25, 2011
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 837 Ratings
WATCH NOW
dancrumMay 10, 2011
I am not sure how they could have made a worse movie. This was just... so bad. Too many pointless layers. Tons of action scenes that are still somehow boring. The story makes little to no sense. It's just... why?
lilkillpappyAug 4, 2011
Boring, boring, boring! soulless crap with zero emotional impact for anyone with half a brain. From Watchmen to this crap?? Wanted to like it so much, liked certain scenes, but in the end it was so annoying that I ended up just hating it.
KazuApr 8, 2011
Simply put: Sucker Punch is an opera that replaces singing with epic set pieces that bombard the sences with massive sounds, lights and pure awesomeness! Agreeing with many other critics, the plot can be confusing at times, but once you'veSimply put: Sucker Punch is an opera that replaces singing with epic set pieces that bombard the sences with massive sounds, lights and pure awesomeness! Agreeing with many other critics, the plot can be confusing at times, but once you've wrapped your head around the piece you can really begin to relate with the characters. The problem with the film, it's biggest problem, the one that every critic has encountered is this: Sucker Punch has been released at a time where the social norm for films is to be tepid, unimaginative and bland. For such a film to overload the sences with such a mish-mash of special effects, roaring rock soundtrack and action scenes just bucks too strongly from the social norm for people to understand. Expand
andymansionJul 7, 2011
I'm not exactly sure why, and I'm not a critic so I don't have to explain it, but this movie just made me feel happy somehow. Maybe it's just the visual style, maybe the brainless way the plot moves forward. I don't know, but I liked it.
GamevineMar 27, 2011
This movie is like a live action Heavy Metal. Anyone who likes hot girls, giant robots, ninjas, and over-sized weaponry will enjoy Sucker Punch. Check it out
stormdelightMar 27, 2011
This movie was brilliant. I saw it at my friends facebook, everybody was looking forward to watch this, but I had my doubts and I thought it will suck deep... And it didn't, and I enjoyed it a lot. The lobotomy part is a bit too much for me,This movie was brilliant. I saw it at my friends facebook, everybody was looking forward to watch this, but I had my doubts and I thought it will suck deep... And it didn't, and I enjoyed it a lot. The lobotomy part is a bit too much for me, I can handle fights and stuff but anything connected to hospital or doctors makes me feel uncomfortable. Anyways, I simply loved it!!!! It worths watching it, and in the cinema, not home. Awesome filming and effects Expand
kad3tJun 17, 2011
If Inception, Matrix and Kill Bill were mixed into one you'd get a general idea of what this movie was supposed to be like... But wasn't. Was much more and much different regardless the obvious similarities. It is very easy to diss it for itsIf Inception, Matrix and Kill Bill were mixed into one you'd get a general idea of what this movie was supposed to be like... But wasn't. Was much more and much different regardless the obvious similarities. It is very easy to diss it for its shortcomings and over-the-edge style but it takes a bit more of a in-depth look to realize that this in fact is one of the most entertaining and imagination stimulating flicks I've seen to date... Expand
ArkonBladeJul 13, 2011
i wanted to like this film. i mean a bunch of sexy girls with guns kicking ass with some cool visaul effects sounds great!... but they forgot a plot that made any lick of sense . i mean i dont know how to even explain wtf is goin on in thisi wanted to like this film. i mean a bunch of sexy girls with guns kicking ass with some cool visaul effects sounds great!... but they forgot a plot that made any lick of sense . i mean i dont know how to even explain wtf is goin on in this film other then its about 5 girls planninjg a escape from some place where they are held hostage i guess and forced to dance ... and ever time baby doll dances she starts fighting giant statues , dragons , steam nazies ... yes steam nazies ... yeah.. thats nazies powered by steam... and other strange things. i mean the action and effects arnt bad but my brain felt like it was frying out trying to figure out WTF is going on!? she is starting to dance now she's fighting steam nazies... what the hell man. i couldnt really enjoy the action because of that . i mean she's dancing for some guy and now she's fighting STEAM NAZIES!!! how the hell did we get to that from dancing???? i mean i like action but when the plot makes no damn sense like this movies does i just cant get into it and turned it off when they got to a train fighting theese robots ... i felt like my head was gona explode from the stupidity of the story telling. i mean if you are going to wach this my best advice is just fast foward to where they start fighting ignore the plot entirely and just enjoy the action . Expand
JDnatorNov 2, 2011
so they sacrificed a little bit of plot to cram it extra FULL of cool stuff. the cool stuff is VERY cool though. and its not like it has absolutely no plot. i enjoyed this film a lot.
BairdoJul 27, 2011
WTF, man? I couldn't get past the fact that this movie was silly as hell without trying to be. Maybe I would have enjoyed it if I was wearing a zipper mask and whipping some gagged gimp. It was like a snuff version of Black Swan/Cuckoo's NestWTF, man? I couldn't get past the fact that this movie was silly as hell without trying to be. Maybe I would have enjoyed it if I was wearing a zipper mask and whipping some gagged gimp. It was like a snuff version of Black Swan/Cuckoo's Nest set in an apocalyptic wasteland. Actually that's being too kind, that sounds vaguely cool. Anyway, there's only so many times I can see some hero land knees bent, one hand on the ground (the other outstretched for balance), and look up slowly. That's some corny over-used **** right there (see Iron Man 2, N'Sync, etc...) Expand
GluttonMar 30, 2011
This movie is SICK as F%^$.Hot chicks in sexy clothing wielding badass weps,dragons,nazi zombies,samurai bad guys.Damn good plot! I had a boner while watching.Seriously,im buying this when it comes out.
iamtrent424Jul 12, 2011
Wow, this movie could have been way better. The story line to the movie was not good at all. It started off toe a good story but it did not finish as a good story. The acting in the movie was okay it was not horrible. THe directing to theWow, this movie could have been way better. The story line to the movie was not good at all. It started off toe a good story but it did not finish as a good story. The acting in the movie was okay it was not horrible. THe directing to the movie was fine also but the movie itself was not good at all. Some people like this movie for the action , some hate it because it dent have enough action in it. I think it had enough action in it. This movie was suppose to be a women power movie but it fail at being it. I don't see how this movie can be consider a women power movie. This is more like a women fantasy movie. I would not suggest this movie to anybody. If you like movies with a bunch of hot girls in it then this movie is perfect to watch. Not worth your time. I hate this movie but i can watch it just because EMily Browning and Vanessa Hudgens are in it. Emily Browning is a really good actress and so is Hudgens But other than that this movie was really bad. I give this movie gets a extra point for the cast. Expand
erwillyJun 25, 2011
Sucker puke. Top ten quotes:
how could a movie which trailer promised to have 5 scantily-clad females kicked ass with guns and swords be so boring and unbearably tiresome?.
It was poorly written, acted, directed, and a waste of some
Sucker puke. Top ten quotes:

It was poorly written, acted, directed, and a waste of some otherwise potentially attractive and talented actresses.
Terrible character development, ridiculous and poorly written story.

This film had potential... everything just went terribly wrong. The plot was shallow. The action fell short. The dialogue was comedic at times
FADERSDREAMMay 3, 2011
one of those films that want to make you feel dumb or insensitive for not liking it. It passes its shortcomings onto the audience: if the spectator creates a fantastic way to fill in the plotholes then perhaps as a joint effort it becomes aone of those films that want to make you feel dumb or insensitive for not liking it. It passes its shortcomings onto the audience: if the spectator creates a fantastic way to fill in the plotholes then perhaps as a joint effort it becomes a fantastic film. Unfortunately the average person is average, and thank god for that. when they are forced to fill the plot holes with their average creativity then the film is average.

What holds me back is that no one was willing to pay me to help fill in those blanks and i think if invited i would have on the cheap. i really have a great many to contribute... but i need the money in exchange for them and without that then I have a pretty blonde whose breast point just upwards in the right way so as to convey a SAD face. Which just isn't enough to make me care, only enough to wonder if i cared more then would i have gotten her number?

this may have rambled. truly the story has so many holes to it you have to tell otherones to make the time.
BigLouJun 20, 2011
I thought this movie was pretty mediocre. I understand what they were trying to do with the three levels of "reality" (the real world, the dream world and the high action dreamworld within the dream world) but I thought that the whole thingI thought this movie was pretty mediocre. I understand what they were trying to do with the three levels of "reality" (the real world, the dream world and the high action dreamworld within the dream world) but I thought that the whole thing was disjointed - It felt like the action sequences were a completely different movie. That being said, these sequences do offer a fairly good mix of CGI and action. Expand
GamesAndMoviesMar 28, 2011
This movie melted my brain. I loved it. People are looking for something more than a movie. This was an experience. I want to see this movie again. The plot was confusing but it doesn't matter. I love it!!!!
pauloMar 27, 2011
Despite all the hatred that has been put upon this movie , when I actually saw it , I found myself entertained by a film that is a perfect action package. The history fits perfectly here, the delusions of a young girl that are presentedDespite all the hatred that has been put upon this movie , when I actually saw it , I found myself entertained by a film that is a perfect action package. The history fits perfectly here, the delusions of a young girl that are presented metaphorically by a side of magic , a different world where the actions resemble to what's happening in real. Then the ending comes ... the ending was not well-made , or maybe was , but the tension that is build throughout the film it's not resolved , it is amplified by the endless suffering that is smashed upon the Babydoll character. When watching the film you will create a bond between you and the hot girls, beautiful and sexy to death , then all this is throwed in your face in the end. That's my only complaint , despite that, this film is perfect. Expand
CaptainPJSharkMar 27, 2011
This movie was awesome, not good. Do not go for the story. Go for the dumb fun of hot women fighting awesome things. If I want good story, good acting, I'll watch Schindler's List.
JehkulMar 28, 2011
Proof, yet again, that the only reliable source for non-pretentious/non-pc reviews is the user section and not the professional critic section. Critics hate this kind of movie because it is a glaring reminder that if creativity, style, andProof, yet again, that the only reliable source for non-pretentious/non-pc reviews is the user section and not the professional critic section. Critics hate this kind of movie because it is a glaring reminder that if creativity, style, and the ability to talk to hot women were part of their skill-set, then they would be making movies instead of critiquing them. The solidarity amongst them in lambasting this film also displays the lack of backbone - all of them hated it... really? Or were they afraid to admit to liking it for fear of becoming some sort of cyber-pariah. Expand
aragorn18Mar 29, 2011
The film accomplishes what it wants, very enjoyable and if you like special effects you wont be disappointed. Maybe it could have been better in plot but it's not that bad.
JohnMooreMar 29, 2011
This past weekend I saw a (financially) less than knockout performance at the box-office by "Suckerpunch," aided, no doubt, by several factors ( not least the fact that the so called cultural melting pot of America is succeeding: it's meltingThis past weekend I saw a (financially) less than knockout performance at the box-office by "Suckerpunch," aided, no doubt, by several factors ( not least the fact that the so called cultural melting pot of America is succeeding: it's melting all culture).
Among these factors was the pummeling the film took from critics including would-be luminary AO Scott.

Well Mr Scott , it's time to retire.
The music has apparently gotten too loud and you want those pesky kids to just turn it down.
"Suckerpunch" is a huge success - it advances the language of film , and it's essential integration into the experience of music and video games, in a way that is dazzlingly effective.
I can think of no recent film (with the possible exception of "Inception') that has, and needed to, rock the boat with such rewarding vigor as Snyder's felicitous little masterpiece.

Scotts ire with the film seems to betray a deeper disgruntlement with the way movies are going rather than a specific critique with Suckerpunch (after all, advising a viewer, as Scott does, to inhale a bag of crystal meth to have a similar experience as watching the film is not only non-specific to his perception of the movies "problems", it also sounds like a damn fun idea).
No, what bothers old Mr Scott in apartment 3A is that it's all gotten too fast and too loud for his fragile , aging bones to handle.
Well, tough.
What Suckerpunch does is not easily defined, which is why perhaps, so many critics , like Mr Scott (he's not alone in his AARP sponsored rant) are failing to define it.
Suckerpunch lives up to its title - you don't see it coming - ever. Snyder's ability and determination to break the frame and the rules with it results in an experience you simply have no reference for, except perhaps from your dreams, and for that alone this film deserves to be seen.
But that's not all, not by a long way. The visuals, the "look" and feel of the film seem somehow to directly inject a buzz of adrenaline into whatever normally inaccessible (to movies) part of the brain that controls heart rate, erection, stimulation and delight. That's not to say Suckerpunch is for men only - perhaps even AO Scott can recall a time when women also liked to be stimulated.

In politics they say that when the going gets tough , people flock to the center. Well, sadly they're being lead by conservatives like An Old Mr Scott who, scared, alone in their apartments at night, listening to the rats and the plumbing, want the company of those they once held critical sway over. I'm reminded of that chilling performance moment from Lee J Cobb in Sidney Lumets "12 Angry Men" : having realized that , all along , he's been frustrated with his own son and not the kid on trial , on whom he wants to exact revenge, he pulls out the picture of his child from his wallet and rips it to pieces screaming : " Damn kids! You spend your life....".

Then he trails off into a tearful silence.
Follow suit please Mr Scott.
MrsoandsoApr 9, 2011
Quick review: it felt like a sucker punch when it was done, i was unable to see it in 3d so i cant comment on that. the biggest folly with this film is it tried to be too many things at once Action suspense thriller drama all in one package,Quick review: it felt like a sucker punch when it was done, i was unable to see it in 3d so i cant comment on that. the biggest folly with this film is it tried to be too many things at once Action suspense thriller drama all in one package, it tried and fell flat on its face out of the gate, plot was interesting but tried to pull off the inception type story but a lot weaker. short review: save your money i wish i did Expand
kingtzMay 10, 2011
I actually really enjoyed this movie. Granted, it's not Oscar winner, but it really doesn't pretend to be. It is what it is, and makes no apologies. I've read professional "critics" write about how outlandish some of the scenes are, but II actually really enjoyed this movie. Granted, it's not Oscar winner, but it really doesn't pretend to be. It is what it is, and makes no apologies. I've read professional "critics" write about how outlandish some of the scenes are, but I think that they kinda missed the whole point of the movie. Yes, it is outlandish; and no, the seemingly random fight scenes really don't tie into reality, but that's the beauty of it. The battle sequences take place in a fantasy within a fantasy and primarily serve as metaphors for missions or tasks that Baby Doll (the main character) et al. must accomplish. So, yes, these all take place in Baby Doll's imagination so they're allowed to be as unrealistic and outlandish as she wants it to be. My main gripe with this movie, however, is that Zack Synder (the director) was forced to maintain a PG13 movie, and the movie really seemed like he had been severely crippled and forced to work with one hand tied behind his back. Snyder is best known for his highly stylized and gory action sequences, but the ones in this movie just didn't seem on the same level as his other hits, "300" and "Watchmen". If only he'd been allowed to go all out and make his usual rated R or unrated movie, I think things would've turned out much better. Expand
PhylApr 11, 2011
This movie is one of the most captivating movie I've seen this year. There are a lot of bad reviews, but i think that when you watch it, don't try to understand it as something linear, but just go with the flow and watch it as it is! TheThis movie is one of the most captivating movie I've seen this year. There are a lot of bad reviews, but i think that when you watch it, don't try to understand it as something linear, but just go with the flow and watch it as it is! The characters in the movie are awesome and were well-trained to do all their action scenes well. Also one of the best parts of the film was the music, it definitely added to each action scene well and builds up a lot of tension before it. It was definitely better than what I had expected, I recommend everyone to go see it! Expand
Sephiroth78Apr 17, 2011
I really loved the movie and I am sorry about being unable to give it a perfect score. But, the plot was to complex to be understood from the first time. Event though it was addictive and fascinating I watched the movie 4 times to understandI really loved the movie and I am sorry about being unable to give it a perfect score. But, the plot was to complex to be understood from the first time. Event though it was addictive and fascinating I watched the movie 4 times to understand it! Plus, have you ever considered how great this movie would be in 3D? I am not such a huge fun of 3D but i think that it would really suit this movie... Anyway get to your closest cinema and watch this magnificent experience without giving a damn about what the brainwashed critics said Expand
CinetimApr 18, 2011
A epic so powerful it may be easy to dismiss, Sucker Punch is nonetheless a masterpiece for those who observe it closely.

In the 1950s, a young lady nicknamed "Baby Doll" (Emily Browning) is sent to an abusive psychiatric institution after the violent death of her child sister in a fight with her rapist step-father (Gerard Plunkett). Befriending four other patients (Abbie Cornish, Jena Malone, Vanessa Hudgens, and Jamie Chung) and a music therapist (Carla Gugino), Baby Doll embarks on a dangerous quest to escape the hospital before her lobotomy, which is scheduled five days from her admission. In an attempt to cope with her terrifying situation, Baby Doll views her surroundings in two surreal landscapes in addition to the existing one: The first being a brothel she is being forced to "dance" in; the second being a fantasy war zone complete with fire-breathing dragons, cyborg zombies, and demon samurai.

I find it odd that even though i rejected critic hits such as Black Swan and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I am the one defending a film that has been widely criticized for being far too sexual. Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, Dawn of the Dead), who produces, directs, and is one of two writers (the other being Steve Shiyuba) for the film, states he is attempting to create create a feminist feature. Of course, it is a fine line between viewers gasping in horror at the clothing and actions the villains subject the young girls to and staring in delight. The difficulty of making the "bad parts" entertaining has been a problem throughout cinematic history (how many anti-war movies count as action flicks?), and there are a few elements (such as the provocative costumes) that go too far. Snyder stated in an interview that he felt some of the sacrifices he was forced to make for the studio undermined his messages by making the girl's life in the brothel sometimes appear "great," and I do believe his vision for the movie would have been much more respectful. Even so, there is very little parts in this picture that are actually sensual--we never see any nudity, there are no shots that ogle the girl's bodies, and there are no sex scenes. Sure, there is a tone that might be a bit suggestive, but really people are going to be far more titillated by images than mostly-accidental implications. No one cared at the graphic sex scenes in Snyder's 300, and really the costumes are far less suggestive and revealing than anything you will see in Step Up. Anyway, most people astute enough to find a sexual tone are going to be paying close enough attention to realize that the story is stating that such ideas are misogynistic (or are stimulated by most PG-13s).

Though the film's critics might not know it, the biggest problem is the unconventional ending and atmosphere of the picture (don't worry there are no spoilers). Not everything is solved by Baby Doll killing her abusers. It is not sexist to make show Baby Doll as physically powerless to her oppressors: The film has a far more realistic defense mechanism. This is a story about women (and guys too, for that matter) dealing with an atmosphere of despair. One part of the message is dealing with sexism, but Synder is obviously talking about broader issues as well. Baby Doll's fantasy worlds are not a weapon, they are a literal escape. She can imagine something so great the world around her doesn't matter.

In order to accept the film, you have to believe that is possible.

I think the picture that best compares to Sucker Punch is Precious. They both feature female characters in abusive and powerless situations, who's imaginations is what helps them survive. The difference here is that Precious imagines dancing in a big ballroom and Baby Doll imagines killing orcs. Understandably, while Precious is the more realistic and down-to-earth of the two, Sucker Punch is vastly more entertaining. Snyder has always been a stylistic director, and in the surreal landscape of Sucker Punch he is unencumbered by continuity points such as why '50s asylum patients have unlimited access to mascara. Sure, easily 90% of the movie is in slow-mo, but along with the visual effects team and Cinematographer Larry Fong (300, Watchmen) this is an entrancing picture with visuals that add too the power of the scenes.

An additional plus is Oscar Isaac (The Nativity Story) as the villainous orderly in the hospital. Isaac manages to come up with a unique brand of evil as a mild-mannered yet talkative pervert. The character is creepy, but the performance greatly adds to the role and actually enhances the meaning of the story.

Sucker Punch is a masterpiece. It might be hard to tell, but it is.
houseofnightfanApr 18, 2011
definitely ignore the critics because I went to see this and loved, the reviews are bad because one: the critics who review are too old for the film or too stupid to understand it, two: the only reviews that get noticed are the people who thedefinitely ignore the critics because I went to see this and loved, the reviews are bad because one: the critics who review are too old for the film or too stupid to understand it, two: the only reviews that get noticed are the people who the film is too frigging old. Expand
klawhammerJun 18, 2011
This film was written directed and produced by one guy but I have no idea who paid for it. There really is no story to understand here. It feels like a couple of 8 year old kids got together and just started making a movie.
Because the entire
Because the entire film happens in the imagination of a crazy girl it is really hard to care about what happens to any of the characters. One of the worst films I have seen in a long time.
felicianomikoMay 8, 2011
Give this movie 30 minutes of suspension of disbelief and you'll be hooked. Give it a chance and it will blow your mind. I actually found myself giggling with pleasure when one action scene ramped up the awesome 50% more than I thoughtGive this movie 30 minutes of suspension of disbelief and you'll be hooked. Give it a chance and it will blow your mind. I actually found myself giggling with pleasure when one action scene ramped up the awesome 50% more than I thought possible. Loved it. Expand
tsodeMay 11, 2011
With some notable, high profile exceptions such as Salon dot com, The Huffington Post, Firstshowing dot net and Margaret Pomeranz in Australia, many film critics have: 1) Been culturally outpaced by Sucker Punch, and 2) Offically lost touchWith some notable, high profile exceptions such as Salon dot com, The Huffington Post, Firstshowing dot net and Margaret Pomeranz in Australia, many film critics have: 1) Been culturally outpaced by Sucker Punch, and 2) Offically lost touch with audience opinion as of this moment. Sucker Punch's box office in the US (in particular) has been destroyed by critics, in a colossal misreading of both its merits and intentions. The worst misreading, in fact, since most of them accused Paul Verhoeven of being a fascist after the release of Starship Troopers. Sucker Punch is, quite simply, an art film disguised as a typical action blockbuster. The film's title gives that away. Go into it with a mindset open to something different - this is a film whose genetic DNA is shared not with typical video game films or typical action blockbusters, but rather films like Brazil, The Fifth Element and Kill Bill, all of which were heavy in style and divided audiences based on audience preconceptions. See it and let the incredible art design and the crazy mash-ups of influences wash over you. Enjoy the powerful music-video structure of several key scenes. Enjoy the genuine, powerful feminist undercurrent. Question the ways in which you view women. And try to spot all the self-referential symbolism that permeates the "layers" of the film (check out the bunny!). A cult film for a new generation, in every possible way. Fascinating, uplifting and ultimately tragic from beginning to end. Were there really five girls, or just five personalities in the mind of one girl? Ignore the negative reviews because everything fresh and interesting in the film world is initially despised. Expand
HalfwelshmanMay 21, 2011
Sucker punch has the effects, it has the slow-mo, it has the brilliantly imaginative fight scenes - it just looks fantastic. But I really can't recall seeing another film that had so little to say, that was so astoundingly empty. It's likeSucker punch has the effects, it has the slow-mo, it has the brilliantly imaginative fight scenes - it just looks fantastic. But I really can't recall seeing another film that had so little to say, that was so astoundingly empty. It's like biting into a deliciously decorated cake and finding it full of sawdust. It's not a tale of female empowerment, and shouldn't try to delude itself that it is. Really it's just the most visually stunning two hours of misogyny you'll ever see! Expand
FRancium34Jun 26, 2011
DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU EXPECT--The trailer is true to the whole movie. Hot chicks, action, weird scene changes that have no chance to be chained together cohesively. If you go in with those expectations, they are fulfilled well. The movieDEPENDS ON WHAT YOU EXPECT--The trailer is true to the whole movie. Hot chicks, action, weird scene changes that have no chance to be chained together cohesively. If you go in with those expectations, they are fulfilled well. The movie delivers little else though, character development, surprising twists, reasonable metaphors etc. Considering it comes from the same guy behind 300 and watchmen, you know the idea. A few more words on the (SPOILER ALERT) imaginations--I wish they found a way to fit the fantasy action bits with the real world. For instance, when the plan is to hold everyone's attention while one girl sneaks into the backroom to copy a map, at least do a scene with 4 girls holding the front to cover for the last girl. As it stands now, we get similar gun fights for 10 minute stretches, totally irrelevant to where the plot is. The audience therefore takes 10 minute breaks from the story every so often, making the thin storyline feel even worse. Expand
CDGamingJun 19, 2011
Basic synopsis from Warner Bros available on my blog: http://cdgaming.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-sucker-punch.html :

Before you sit down to see this film (coming out on Blu Ray, DVD and Digital Download June 28th) you really need to let go of any sense of what the film is, was, or what was said about it. This is a movie that one needs to see to believe. Is it that bad? Is it art? Is it a gigantic mess thrown at film upon an epic scale, hoping to lure the people who like to watch trains wreck? Ladies, if you had any interest in seeing this film, the best you can hope for is being owed one after you've sat through it with your significant other. Be prepared to be owed... oh... 2 chick flicks and a back rub, with breakfast in bed thrown on top. This is a movie solely made for the boys. If you want to get out of it, pretend to be the man sitting on the bench in the mall waiting for you to get out of the girlie clothing store. This is a movie about young women in skimpy clothing swinging ninja swords and shooting bullets at monsters, zombie nazis, and robots, all in a level by level progression similar to a video game. They do this through the imagination of a girl who's sultry dancing is so amazing that everybody in the room forgets that anything in the world is happening, especially the scantily clad girlies picking their pockets for the things they need to escape the asylum.

Sound ridiculous yet? I don't think I've seen fatter lips on any one woman in my life compared to Babydoll (portrayed by Emily Browning), the lead girlie of the bunch. They are so thick and round and focused on in the movie, it's almost like lip-porn and you think she'll actuallu need a wonderbra for them for fear that she'll fall on her face. Throughout the movie, she does land heavily a number of times, crushing cement and concrete blocks, no doubt from the weight she bears upon her porceline face. The other girls featured in this romp are all equally portrayed, with Vanessa Hudgens (ironically named Blondie) bearing the hair that is similar to the mane of a raven haired lion, Abbie Cornish the wildly savage "Sweet Pea" and her saucy mouthed little sister "Rocket" (played by Jena Malone) both acting like they need whips, chains, rubber, and a Rihanna song to get them through the day, and Jenna Chung, the prototypical polite, cute Asian girl Amber. This movie is a who's who of teenage boys wet dreams.

Take away the dirty girlie aspect of the film and you do get a very well filmed style piece. Giant Samurai's, Clockwork Zombie Nazi's, killer robots, dragons, you name it, all were wonderfully brought to life by Watchmen director Zack Snyder. You are thrown into a gritty and grim world of post war America, where the men are boss and the women hate them for it. This whole film screams hate at the way women were treated and portrayed in the 50's and 60's. The film is eye openingly awesome to look at, with gigantic set pieces and surprisingly credible choreographed fight scenes. The leads all did their jobs and did them amazingly well, in particular Browning, who does not look out of place at all in her school girl outfit slaying demons and zombies with style and grace.

This movie is very loud, with a rocking soundtrack playing through most every scene. It truly helps the viewer get into the scenes and bring them along for the ride. Think of that feeling you get when you are on a roller coaster. There's no real particular "sound" but there is unbelievably loud noise all around you. The wind in your ears, the white noise of screaming people all around you, the carts on the tracks. After a while it all blends into the experience that is a roller coaster. It is all very similar in this film. After one or two scenes, you don't actually hear the music, you are just immersed into each scene as if you are almost there.

This is a movie not for the feint of heart. As mentioned earlier, girls, wait outside. Let the men go in and enjoy the film. Some ladies, carry tissues. This is a loud, male fantasy induced slogfest, with nothing for you, beyond teaching you what your man might like in the bedroom. Guys, get ready to owe the women a favor or two for this one, but be more than willing and ready to do it too. This is one for you.

Score: 7 out of 10...

...9 out of 10 if you are a pervert.
mordilloJun 19, 2011
I like Zack Snyder, I think he's a good director, Watchmen is a masterpiece, and his visuals are always so exciting. This is his first original film, and it works on some levels, but on others it falls short. I didn't like any of the actionI like Zack Snyder, I think he's a good director, Watchmen is a masterpiece, and his visuals are always so exciting. This is his first original film, and it works on some levels, but on others it falls short. I didn't like any of the action sequences, I was bored mindless through those fantasy scenes with dragons, robots, and giant samurai warriors, but I did like the second fantasy sequence with the zombie soldiers, I thought that was done really well. But I loved the scenes that took place in the brothel. Oscar Isaac was so great as Blue, and the young female cast was good too, like Browning, and especially Abbie Cornish and Jena Malone as sisters. But the overcrowded CGI in pretty much every action sequence made it nearly impossible for me to get involved and have fun with it, which is maybe why I liked the zombie sequence because that didn't rely so much on CGI. Expand
Polonaise77Aug 15, 2011
I'm surprised this movie was so critically attacked. I admit that at first, I was confused about what exactly was going on, but once I got lost in the world of the film, it was a fun ride to the end. The action sequences were great and theI'm surprised this movie was so critically attacked. I admit that at first, I was confused about what exactly was going on, but once I got lost in the world of the film, it was a fun ride to the end. The action sequences were great and the whole concept was fresh and original. Like Snyder's Watchmen adaptation, you'll either love this movie or hate it. This movie is meant to be fun, so I don't see why it got all the negative wrap... Expand
Pauly-IraqVetAug 7, 2011
I read the reviews and expected the worst. Boy was I surprised. This movie was an excellent - excellent - action flick. Original material, great special effects, what more do you want. I watched this on my home theater system and wantedI read the reviews and expected the worst. Boy was I surprised. This movie was an excellent - excellent - action flick. Original material, great special effects, what more do you want. I watched this on my home theater system and wanted to blast the soundtrack the whole time. I loved this movie. Expand
GabrielaRodJun 25, 2011
Less than i espect, was an empty story, poor lines, it was a really mess of movie. The effects were Pretty Good thats just the good part. If the movie would be coherent and have sence, it might be a good one movie. Im Disappointed.
kat43081Jul 23, 2011
I am giving this movie a 2 only for the special effects. Otherwise, this movie sucker sucks a$$. Incomprehensible story and empty characters. Seems like they mindread a 14 yr old pre pubescent boy's dirty thoughts and made this piece of sh*t!
MorrisJul 6, 2011
The visuals, and effects are Stunning and dazzling, wow. But is that seriously all they thought they needed? Apparently. The character development was some of the worst I've EVER seen in a movie. The main Character is basically summed up in aThe visuals, and effects are Stunning and dazzling, wow. But is that seriously all they thought they needed? Apparently. The character development was some of the worst I've EVER seen in a movie. The main Character is basically summed up in a music video in the beginning, then hardly talks the rest of it. I felt nothing for any of the characters. The story is non existent, or if present at times it hardly made sense. The only reason I can possibly think of people giving this movie a 10 (which is ridiculous, 10/10 = A PERFECT MOVIE, this is completely not perfect) is SOLELY because of the visuals, and that they are easily persuaded by dumb, good looking girls with guns, with vague personalities. The ONLY reason I gave this movie a 2 is because (and only because) of the work that the effects/cinematography team did, excellent work there. I loved the Watchmen, but this was atrocious. Expand
azathothJul 27, 2011
This movie makes no sense! It's a prolonged music video with beautiful special effects, and a horribly written story that MAKES NO SENSE! There's no reason that this should suck except that the story is horrible. The first act alone isThis movie makes no sense! It's a prolonged music video with beautiful special effects, and a horribly written story that MAKES NO SENSE! There's no reason that this should suck except that the story is horrible. The first act alone is atrocious and the last two acts were so much worse. I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening and damn near gave up after I found that it seemed like Snider didn't know either. Snider needs to stick with what he knows and that is adapting comics into movies. Expand
DesireeJul 31, 2011
I do not think it's a bad movie like critic review said. Not totally perfect, but this movie really good entertainment, sound great, the actress great, the fight really impressed. And it does give us a worthy point: to those who stand toI do not think it's a bad movie like critic review said. Not totally perfect, but this movie really good entertainment, sound great, the actress great, the fight really impressed. And it does give us a worthy point: to those who stand to fight, life's full of flavor that those who run to hide will never get it. Expand
Anotherday1787Aug 12, 2011
This was the worst movie I have seen in a very long time. The acting and plot are horrible. It doesn't even make any sense. Snyder is really good at slow motion CGI crap, but give it a rest. How about you do something where you don't have toThis was the worst movie I have seen in a very long time. The acting and plot are horrible. It doesn't even make any sense. Snyder is really good at slow motion CGI crap, but give it a rest. How about you do something where you don't have to "check your brain at the door?" Expand
luxis77Sep 7, 2011
The best movie i've seen in a long time! Why?

The best movie i've seen in a long time! Why?

Apart from the action and fun? If i'm not dreaming the whole movie is about waking the hell up from your own prison. Don't get distracted by a seemingly superficial story, it's far from superficial. It's symbolism all over the place. The actors (you and me), the stage (decor), the jailor (maya / illusion), the fear (what's holding us back), the dance (life), the void (death / awakening), love, reference to pills (the choice / matrix), stories (the personal drama in our lives), all the stuff I missed. And sexy girls (for fun â
Delta_AssaultSep 28, 2011
Sucker Punch can be summed up in one sentence: Style over substance. The film's just unpleasant. I can enjoy some lighthearted action romp, but this one intercuts the ridiculous fantasy action with scenes of girls getting beaten, almostSucker Punch can be summed up in one sentence: Style over substance. The film's just unpleasant. I can enjoy some lighthearted action romp, but this one intercuts the ridiculous fantasy action with scenes of girls getting beaten, almost raped, stabbed, shot in the head, and ultimately lobotomized. I don't want to see that **** Don't get me wrong, I understand that dark and twisted stuff happens in films. If it's some sort of a profound story about the human condition or the heart of darkness inside man... fine, that's absolutely appropriate. But here, it just felt so schizophrenic and off-putting, didn't it? Also, it drove me crazy how almost every big scene had to have some popular song immediately pounding on my eardrums. I thought the musical choices worked in 300, and mostly worked in Watchmen, but here it was just too damn much. They got obnoxious real fast. And here's something I didn't understand. So the way she mesmerizes people in the nightclub fantasy is by dancing (WHICH WE NEVER **** SEE!). But the nightclub is only a fantasy created by her mind. In the real world, she's in an insane asylum. So instead of dancing, what does she do to captivate people? The whole thing just made me want to go home and play video games. The giant samurai with the chaingun for no **** reason? That can exist in a video game, sure. Shooting through armies of robots and zombies and robot zombies with silenced assault rifles and Mechs... yeah, great. That's wonderful video game fare. But in a movie, it's just silly and makes no sense. There's no connection, no reason for why it's happening. The excuse is, of course, it's all happening in her mind, they're fantasies of hers, it doesn't need to make sense. That's the excuse they'll give. But that's not enough for me. There's no consequence, no meaning to any of it. And it lost me.

Snyder's worst film to date.
BrandonBonaseraNov 6, 2011
SUCKER PUNCH is an underrated and entertaining film that is smart and visually impressive, the only problem that I have had with the film is the lack of character development.
ZalJan 11, 2012
I really find it surprising that so many people like this movie. It really was a chore to watch this.

None of the characters are interesting. They don't have any specific characteristics and those who do are not likable. They are all 1-dimensional at best. The acting was really bad too. These are fairly good actors but they all suck in this movie, especially Carla Gugino as Dr. Gorski, who speaks with this unbelievably corny Polish accent. The only performance that was actually okay was John Hamm at the end.

Even the action, one of the highlights of this movie, is not even that good. I liked the dragon sequence, but everything else was badly choreographed and unbelievably long. That scene in the trenches literally lasted for 9 minutes and I was completely bored. With films like The Musketeer, while everything about it is terrible, the thing that keeps me from hating it is the action. But it wasn't just random sword fighting. That film had some of the most creative action scenes that I have ever seen in any film. Of course, it was not enough for me to see it as a good film, but it kept me from hating it.

The fantasy scenes were creative but they make no sense in the context of the story. This takes place in the 1950s. Why does it look like I'm watching a live action anime? And I don't understand what all of the stuff in the film is supposed to represent. I know people will say, "oh, but the time period doesn't matter." If that's the case, then why not just put the story in the 21st century? Why move it to te 50s if you're not going to bother to make it look like the 50s?

In terms of the feminist aspect, there are very mixed views about it. Some say that it is sexist because of the outfits that the girls where. I don't see that. Yes, they are revealing but they aren't being sexually exploited. There are not close ups of the girls' cleavage or butt. Others say that it is empowering to females. I don't see that either. What? A girl can sort of kick butt - in her head, mind you - and all of a sudden she's a good role model? No, she's not. She needs to be a good character first and foremost, and none of these girls are developed.

Really, none of this would be a big issue where it not for the film trying to be dark and gritty. If Zack Snyder was content with just making a fun, dumb film with lots of action and no real story, I might not see it as a masterpiece but I'd respect it more. Here, it thinks it's saying something about women fighting for their freedom and it doesn't work. Again, there is the issue of the time period. What is the point of setting it in the 50s when there is nothing to suggest that it takes place in the 50s

I think a lot of people who like this film like it for two reasons. One, the action. While I don't particularly care for it as much as everyone else, I can see why everyone else would like it. Two, the concept. In theory, this seems like an interesting film. A girl who is imprisoned escapes to a fantasy world where she envisions herself as a powerful person. But it's not about how good a concept is. It's about execution and the execution of this plot is, quite frankly, bad. And don't try to tell me that this is some brilliant, pro-feminist film because that's not what I see, but I don't see it as some exploitation film either. You want a pro-feminist movie? Go find a Hayao Miyazaki film.

I can understand the appeal with the likable actors, big action scenes, and "pro-feminist" qualities. But don't try to convince me that this film is good, because I do not see the genius, if any.
ZonbiJan 20, 2012
This movie was AMAZING! People who don't like the movie obviously don't get the setting.
diego9901Oct 20, 2013
tanto visual como narrativamente innovadora sucker punch va a disgustar a mucho pero a las personas que les gusta una película con mucha acción de ciencia ficcion y con historias fuera de lo comun esta pelicula es para ustedes
BrianMcCriticAug 16, 2013
Zack Snyder really knows how to do visuals, unfortunately when it comes to Sucker Punch that's pretty much it. Story wise there is just nothing important and the characters don't matter. Half way through this film I was wondering how IZack Snyder really knows how to do visuals, unfortunately when it comes to Sucker Punch that's pretty much it. Story wise there is just nothing important and the characters don't matter. Half way through this film I was wondering how I could be so bored with a film that looked so good, the answer nothing matters. D- Expand
ddawson311Mar 30, 2011
I've actually been an avid follower of this site for just under 10 years and have never written a review before. I felt that I had to write a review for this movie just to deter anyone from seeing it. I went with a group of six and eachI've actually been an avid follower of this site for just under 10 years and have never written a review before. I felt that I had to write a review for this movie just to deter anyone from seeing it. I went with a group of six and each person in my group separately said it was the worst movie they've ever seen. The storyline completely sucks, the acting is horrendous, and the soundtrack was the cheesiest piece of kitsch I've ever heard. The critics are right on this one, and the 118 brainless people who gave this a positive review must've been slipped a twenty spot as they exited the theater. Expand
BubbaHitoMar 25, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't get the point of this movie. I understand the set up of misogynist themes and the ensuing revenge tale, but it's too much to stomach watching low-life characters kill the daring heroes. Also, using a "lobotomy" as a plot device is just awful. Technically, this film is a marvel. The direction, the acting, the special effects are all wonderful achievements. The actors in this movie act out scenes of dialogue that are just ridiculous at times and still manage to make them believable and compelling somehow. The parts of the whole deserve great credit and the action scenes, while borrowing heavily from video games, are shockingly well done. And, to be frank, it's tough to not like the idea of our cast of heroes jumping out of airplanes and decimating steam-power zombie fascists (of all things).

But, in the end, this is a movie where really the bad guys win. If Zack Snyder's aim was to break the formulaic mold that has persevered in the industry for so long, I can understand. But I don't think this was the way to do it. I love Zack Snyder and am eagerly awaiting his next project, being an enormous fan of his Watchmen (and its excellent treatment of the source material). He's remarkably talented and ahead of his time, but this film will be a learning experience for him. It's going to take me a week to get this terrible movie out of my head.
iSniperMar 25, 2011
This movie has everything that a guy wants from a movie. A story that you don't need to understand. Slice n Shoot action, and hot women to bounce around while they kill everything in sight. ROCK ON!!!
MichealJohnsonMar 25, 2011
The trailers had me excited and I went to see this movie and it was great. I enjoyed every minute of it too. I loved the action and the story and I would pay to go see it again. Best movie I have seen in a while.
highwiredaysMar 30, 2011
HOLY **** this movie was just bad. I don't even want to waste time reviewing it. It had video game like action but that is about it. It was boring, boring and...... boring. Dumb story that made the action just pointless and really, the actionHOLY **** this movie was just bad. I don't even want to waste time reviewing it. It had video game like action but that is about it. It was boring, boring and...... boring. Dumb story that made the action just pointless and really, the action wasn't that good, nice effects but that can't make a movie.... it makes a nice trailer but whatever, this is the same guy that tricked us with 300 and Watchmen. Fuuuuuuuuuuuunk. this guy is going to be directing Superman, now that is just a crime. Expand
RicshawMar 25, 2011
Shame on people for now allowing themselves to enjoy what was obviously meant to be an all-out visual blast (which it is). I'm giving it a 10 to offset the lower-than-deserved ratings.
ThreedogMar 27, 2011
The action was great and it looked gorgeous, but the story itself was just terrible. The movie just narrows down to a simple formula of exposition, Babydoll starting to dance, then an action scene. Have to admit, however, that 5 women withThe action was great and it looked gorgeous, but the story itself was just terrible. The movie just narrows down to a simple formula of exposition, Babydoll starting to dance, then an action scene. Have to admit, however, that 5 women with swords and machine guns killing zombie-nazi-robots was pretty damn cool. See it for the action, but don't expect much from the story Expand
dellamorteMay 10, 2011
THIS IS THE GREATEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!! There Mr Snyder, will you please untie my family and let them go now. Quick kids run, run. He can't hurt you anymore I promise. And don't worry nobody will everTHIS IS THE GREATEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!! There Mr Snyder, will you please untie my family and let them go now. Quick kids run, run. He can't hurt you anymore I promise. And don't worry nobody will ever force you to re-evaluate Watchmen as an under-rated classic of our time again. Expand
anneiveMar 25, 2011
It's not trying to be a mindless movie about hot girls killing robots and samurai. It's trying to be a serious movie with a serious plot, and it fails. It tries to give the characters depth, and fails. It tries to make the action visceral andIt's not trying to be a mindless movie about hot girls killing robots and samurai. It's trying to be a serious movie with a serious plot, and it fails. It tries to give the characters depth, and fails. It tries to make the action visceral and pull the viewer into it, but the awful pacing, lack of tension and being PG-13 kill it. It's people we don't care about killing endless waves of mooks we don't care about, and I know the trailer makes you believe otherwise, but it gets really boring. If you want to see an over-the-top visual candy shop of a movie, watch The Fifth Element or Tron Legacy. Expand
BartisajokeMar 25, 2011
This movie deserves a Oscar nomination. The acting is incredible, the music is incredible, the script is incredible, and the action scenes are incredible too. This movie has a bunch of hot girls fighting robots, and Nazis.
shadowsofbodomMar 25, 2011
Also going for a 10 to offset all the negative reviews. After seeing this movie I knew it would not be critically acclaimed at all but I still really enjoyed it. The action scenes are literally mind blowing. There is a scene where the girlsAlso going for a 10 to offset all the negative reviews. After seeing this movie I knew it would not be critically acclaimed at all but I still really enjoyed it. The action scenes are literally mind blowing. There is a scene where the girls raid a train...all I'm gonna say is look forward to it, its the best I've seen in awhile. Expand
ZeldaGApr 4, 2011
After watching the movie in inaccurate with my husband, I was left blown away by the sheer beauty of the visuals and sound. I witnessed an older couple walk out of the film after the first action scene and realized they must have beenAfter watching the movie in inaccurate with my husband, I was left blown away by the sheer beauty of the visuals and sound. I witnessed an older couple walk out of the film after the first action scene and realized they must have been offended by the imagery and seemingly stereotypical content. I usually don't read reviews, but I had done so before with inception when I wasn't sure if the spinning top was about to topple or continuing.. I read a wonderful review that explained older actors were used in the end and it indeed wobbled for the first time. I was extremely disappointed to find there wasn't one decent review out there that didn't tear this film apart. Critics, I have come to conclude, don't have the balls to SEE what this film is really about, because A) They are feminist offended by the visuals and scenes, or B) they are afraid of other feminists coming after them. The rendition of where is my mind in the beginning is pure genius. If you have seen Fight Club its a foreshadowing that this girl has truly lost her mind, which accounts for her wanting, the lobotomy at the end. From that point on, I knew to expect this girl would enter a subreality, as was the outcome of fight club, and similar to it, she fought where she was empowered in her sub-sub reality despite all outside oppression. I was left to realize this girl must have been left so afraid and intrusting of men, after the horrors of her step-father, that she fantasized herself in a brothel,as this is shat she had come to expect of men, and possibly the way in which the men of this all girls ward, abused and exploited these "sick" girls whom nobody would believe. The only reason I I researched the film to begin with was because I was unsure if babydoll killed her sister or if her stepfather had. I don't know if the director left it open for interpretation becarhe felt it was irrelevant, but there is a scene where baby doll admits she has done something she deeply regrets but I doubt she'd regret shooting a man that killed her sister. Another hing, some critic reviews bash the use of the names. First of all, the entire film is a fresh of breath air to a morbid reality that could have been and has been in the real world, its a form of comic relief and mental escape to an other rise sinister reality. Contrary to the critic's beliefs, babydoll is not her real name, they are their stage names of the sub reality. Come on guys. Expand
Serious00Mar 25, 2011
I saw the midnight showing of this movies and I will say that it is everything the trailers led me to believe: which is a good thing. The action was fresh, the set pieces were unique, and everything in the movie made my imagination go nuts.I saw the midnight showing of this movies and I will say that it is everything the trailers led me to believe: which is a good thing. The action was fresh, the set pieces were unique, and everything in the movie made my imagination go nuts. All in all, I was tremendously entertained and I am sad to see that something different from the norm is getting shot down without a fair shake. The story made sense but I could see if you're not paying attention how you can miss it. The plot: Girl gets framed by jealous step-father because he wasn't in the will of the girl's step mother. Step-father takes girl to asylum where he bribes an orderly to forge paperwork and have the girl lobotomized. The movie is about her trying to escape from the asylum. The movie has a very "Wizard of Oz" feel to it where items and characters that were in the asylum with the girl get transformed and become part of the girl's delusion. Everything that happens that's NOT the asylum is part of the delusion. The setting of the movie subtley changes from being at the asylum to being at a brothel where the crooked orderly changes from an orderly to the head cheese of the establishment. From there, since its not reality, everything and anything can go (flying monkeys excluded). Really, my conclusion is if you like Zach Snyder action movies, you should watch this movie. Really if you love visual eye candy you should watch this movie. This movie, while not one I would watch 8 gazillion times in a theater is worth watching at least once (and I think the second time will be even better than the first), its a movie that when it comes out on Blu-ray, I'll pick it up and watch it every once in awhile. Expand
KriillaMay 10, 2011
It sucked it was boring and i understood nothing. The only good thing in the movie was that the chicks were hot. i went to the cinema with my friends and they all thought it sucked donkey. DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Jpwilson1984Mar 25, 2011
Save your money. Sucker Punch...sucked. A vapid and empty slow-mo-CGI crap-fest with an oh-so-thin outer shell consisting of a prosaic premise and pseudo-allegorical "quest story" that serves as nothing more than a vehicle for Zach Snyder'sSave your money. Sucker Punch...sucked. A vapid and empty slow-mo-CGI crap-fest with an oh-so-thin outer shell consisting of a prosaic premise and pseudo-allegorical "quest story" that serves as nothing more than a vehicle for Zach Snyder's geek-fetish porn. Unless you really, really like slow-mo. Then Snyder's your guy and this your movie. The "action" sequences certainly have action in them. Too bad they lack any drama or entertainment. Perhaps if Snyder had started the film in one of the "unreal" environments - outside of Baby Doll's head - it may have created more excitement, intrigue, tension...anything. Unfortunately, they are simply very expensive fantasy/sci-fi set pieces, ways for Snyder to put everything swirling around in his head on the screen, story, characterization and thematic relevance be damned. Don't be fooled, this is not a "empowered feminist" type of film. I don't think exploiting all the cliches of violence and degradation of women with "young" women half-clothed throughout the entirety of the film and then saying "See, they 'win' in the end!" counts. Terribly, terribly disappointing. Expand
PeeAyyMar 26, 2011
OMG...2 hours of my life I will NEVER get back. Now...I have seen literally thousands of movies, and action/fantasy are 2 of my favorite genres, but WTF was this? How did that pass for an actually plot? Love the girls, guns, and effects, butOMG...2 hours of my life I will NEVER get back. Now...I have seen literally thousands of movies, and action/fantasy are 2 of my favorite genres, but WTF was this? How did that pass for an actually plot? Love the girls, guns, and effects, but cmon, give us something to entrall more than a freaking oaf. The plot is laughable. Its sooooo ridiculous, that I'm actually writing this @ 1:37 am. Other than special effects, action sequences, and hot chicks, this is (and this is NOT exaggerating) one of the WORST movies I have ever seen in 29 years on this earth. Is the deep message "stand up for your rights"? or "women can do anything"? PLEASE. Save your 12 bucks folks, and stick with your gut ("limitless"). And PLEASE stop tricking us with "from the makers of 300", the title is getting ruined. The movie sure lives up to its title. Expand
BORFMar 27, 2011
This movie was just awful. I went to it on opening night with no expectations at all and was still disseminated. This movie was a plotless, actorless excuse to show girls' naughty parts on a big screen. I've never been so bored whileThis movie was just awful. I went to it on opening night with no expectations at all and was still disseminated. This movie was a plotless, actorless excuse to show girls' naughty parts on a big screen. I've never been so bored while watching a movie, I kept looking at my watch to see when this terrible movie would be over. Expand
ZabbotMar 27, 2011
I am disappointed the score meter doesn't allow for negative numbers. Given the option, I would have rated it -2.

This movie was mediocrity wrapped in badness then deep-fried in boiling failure.
MadMonkMar 25, 2011
how could a movie which trailer promised to have 5 scantily-clad females kicked ass with guns and swords be so boring and unbearably tiresome? five ways: shoddy story, childish dialogues, use familiar covered songs to tell the story, usehow could a movie which trailer promised to have 5 scantily-clad females kicked ass with guns and swords be so boring and unbearably tiresome? five ways: shoddy story, childish dialogues, use familiar covered songs to tell the story, use plenty of slo-mo, rehash action sequences from other better movies. the video game probably rocks more than the movie. Expand
CaptiosusMar 26, 2011
I can't really give this film a solid review because, in all honesty, at about the halfway point I lost any and all interest in it. It's just a bunch of visuals thrown together with a razor thin plot that doesn't make much sense, wrapped in aI can't really give this film a solid review because, in all honesty, at about the halfway point I lost any and all interest in it. It's just a bunch of visuals thrown together with a razor thin plot that doesn't make much sense, wrapped in a "come see these hot women" wrapper. Borderline exploitative. You'd think I'd be interested in such nonsense, loving video games and being male, but no. I am fully capable of "checking my brain at the door" for movies, but this one pushed well beyond that prerequisite. I will say this, however: I have NEVER seen so many people get up and leave a movie before it was over. Ever. Long before the credits rolled, more than half of the people had LEFT. That, folks, speaks volumes. Expand
JJBrunsMar 27, 2011
I created an account just to vent on how much I wish I had not wasted my Saturday night on the garbage that is Sucker Punch. No one should say "It's like the comic book, the dialogue is supposed to be campy!". Punch that person if they sayI created an account just to vent on how much I wish I had not wasted my Saturday night on the garbage that is Sucker Punch. No one should say "It's like the comic book, the dialogue is supposed to be campy!". Punch that person if they say that and go watch Watchmen. This movie needed an overhaul. An R rating (just for language and violence) would be nice. It looked like Baby Doll had watched too many other movies to come up with her own fantasy world. Orcs from Lord of the Rings, Kill Zone masks, I-Robot... I asked myself, why the hell is Sailor Moon fighting I-Robot? Isn't that Will Smith's job? It was like one long Bijork music video.... that song was played at least 3 times in the movie. Expand
ShiiraApr 2, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The last we saw of Janie she was standing at the gates of her palatial estate where a sympathetic detective draped a blanket over her shoulders and led the tearful girl away to an nearby patrol car. Directed by David Fincher, short-form music video for Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun" told the story of a girl's revenge against her incestuous father with great economy and a surprising amount of sensitivity. In the end, the father got his just desserts: "a bullet in his brain". Steven Tyler, of all people, found himself standing on solid moral ground. Unlike Janie, in "Sucker Punch", Baby Doll(Emily Browning) fails in her attempt to deliver a "last IOU", when she accidentally guns down her younger sister instead of the stepfather who was about to rape the barely pubescent girl in the closet. Sent to a mental institution, Baby Doll reimagines the hospital facilities as a bordello, run by an impresario known as Blue(Oskar Issac) and a Polish dance instructor named Vera(Carla Gugino), where she and the other femme inmates dance in provocative outfits for men. To escape the humiliation of being objectified, Baby Doll slips into a dream state, but the diversionary scenarios in which she and the other girls make like bad-ass action stars occur in masturbatory landscapes that are wholly male constructions, fanboy-imagined designs. It's **** not female empowerment, when the women discharge their firearms. They're sex objects, not heroes. Baby Doll knows what boys like: fire-breathing dragons, Japanese robots, and steampunk zombie Nazis. The Lennox Institute for the Mentally Insane could have been anything: a circus, a lawyer's firm, a newspaper company, but Baby Doll was molested(or worse) by her stepfather, so it's not surprising that she sees herself as a prostitute working in a whorehouse, since many women who make their living in the sex industry are reported to have been abused as children. "Where is My Mind?", featured prominently in Fincher's "Fight Club", solidifies the "Janie's Got a Gun" connection, since a cover version(sung by Browning herself, backed by Yoav) of the Pixies classic plays over the soundtrack in "Sucker Punch" while the doctor prepares Baby Doll for a lobotomy procedure. If the filmmaker was serious about feminism, he would have included a dreamy interlude where the abused young woman exacts some vigilante justice on her sleazy stepdad. It's infuriating how the father gets to keep all of Baby Doll's inheritance money. At the very least, she could have dispatched Sweet Pea(Abbie Cornish) to do her bidding. Quite appropriately, when Sweet Pea boards the bus during the film's final scene, the Wise Man(Scott Glenn), the man who was guiding our protagonist, is behind the wheel. In "Sucker Punch", the sisters aren't doing it for themselves. They're kicking ass for the sexual gratification of teenaged boys. It's a man who is driving this bus, a man who pays feminism mere lip service as an excuse to remake "Showgirls" without any gratuitous pelvic gyrations and moneymaker shaking(the film cuts away each time to a dream sequence, therefore preserving its PG-13 rating). Where's Steven Tyler, noted humanitarian, when you need him? Expand
EverettLambMar 25, 2011
I'm not a professional movie reviewer or movie critic, I'm just an average joe who saw this movie today. Sucker Punch sets the premise of Babydoll (Emily Browning) who is sent to an insane asylum due to her wicked stepfather who wants herI'm not a professional movie reviewer or movie critic, I'm just an average joe who saw this movie today. Sucker Punch sets the premise of Babydoll (Emily Browning) who is sent to an insane asylum due to her wicked stepfather who wants her taken care of in any means necessary (a lobotomy) to inherit the estate from the will of his deceased wife and other daughter. Having set the dark and gritty atmosphere at start and throughout the film within the asylum remained consistent. Having Babydoll enter the asylum she is quickly introduced to the owners and captors known as Blue (Oscar Isaac), Madam Gorski (Carla Gugino) and the High Roller (Jon Hamm). She also meets various inmates such as Rocket (Jena Malone), Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens), Amber (Jamie Chung), and Sweet Pea (Abbie Cornish). Babydoll who is new to people and surroundings is left feeling scared and is shown to portray the keep to yourself characteristic. That is until she bravely saves Rocket from the cook who angrily traps her in a corner by intercepting them and holding a knife to his throat, Rocket shows her trust and loyalty to Babydoll by recalling this particular incident to the other inmates profusely during the movie. It is revealed early in the movie that Babydoll and the inmates are kept there to perform dance routines for the Blue and High Roller through a series or provocative dances. At first, Babydoll is reluctant to do anything in the dance area with her friends and the instructor (Madam Gorski) but because she wants to escape the place, she fades reality with an imaginary fantasy world which contain samurais, nazi zombies, dragons, and robot-like guards on board a train with a bomb. She eventually learns from The Wise Man (Scott Glenn) she needs five specific items in order to be set free from the place/captors and with the help of her friends she grew fond of, they aid her in the task. My impression of this movie was it did held my interest from start to finish through plot, characters, and the action sequences. These three key elements came together solidly well. During the fantasy world sequences, the music played part in adding intensity between the girls fighting the monsters. Acting sufficed, but what truly shined was the fantasy worlds and action sequences with its beauty and simplicity. What was interesting to know of was that this film was directed by Zack Snyder, who also directed Watchmen and 300. Felt the fighting scenes within the fantasy realms was directed in a way which captivated myself as an audience member. To conclude, I felt this movie definitely was worth the money and I eagerly await the DVD. Expand
phildogApr 2, 2011
One of the most thoughtful movies I've seen all year. The action scenes by themselves can get a bit dull seeing as they are a bit too much over the top, but the intensity of the drama, and the twist at the end that implicitly explainsOne of the most thoughtful movies I've seen all year. The action scenes by themselves can get a bit dull seeing as they are a bit too much over the top, but the intensity of the drama, and the twist at the end that implicitly explains everything. Just amazing. I can't wait for this to come out again.

If you see this movie, which I definitely recommend everyone does, pay close attention to everything. Especially the narration.
msorgeMar 26, 2011
First off, I'll just say that this film is not an absolute masterpiece... There are a few things that could be picked apart, and I don't have a grudge against anyone thinking so. That being said, there are FAR too many reviews (both userFirst off, I'll just say that this film is not an absolute masterpiece... There are a few things that could be picked apart, and I don't have a grudge against anyone thinking so. That being said, there are FAR too many reviews (both user reviews and critics) trashing this film for no apparent reason other than saying it was "garbage," etc. If you have nothing at all positive to say about this film, you've either jumped on the "trashing SUCKER PUNCH" bandwagon, or you're more mindless than you think the film is!... No film deserves a 0/10, let alone this one!!!

Now, onto my own critique...

THE GOOD:
- First and foremost, I thought the CGI visuals were completely masterful!
- The cinematography could rival 300's any day of the week.
- The fight choreography was very well-done.
- The soundtrack fit the film like a glove
- The actresses sold their action roles extremely well... You really do believe these girls trained as hard as they did for their roles!

THE QUESTIONABLE:
- Although some people have said some (or all) of the acting wasn't very good, I disagree!... Sure, there are times where the not-so-perfect dialogue masks the acting portrayed, but I wouldn't have assumed otherwise, and nor should you! The acting was better (overall) than this sort of film usually lends itself to.
- The story, overall, is the main thing that seems to set off most people... Whereas the film's story should have been more evolved and extended, it's also not exactly what's intended to be the film's main focus point, either. The trying-to-be-deep nature of the plot does fall a bit flat (mainly due to the length of time in the film we actually get a sense for a deep story), but I get what Zack Snyder was trying to do, and I think he pulled it off pretty well.
- I'm surprised to see how many people didn't get the real world, fantasy world, and action/fantasy world elements to the film... The fantasy world is nothing more than a coping mechanism for Baby Doll's depressing situation, and the action/fantasy world is a thought-induced representation of her expression through "dance."

In the end, a couple things to take note of that have hurt this film (to some) is 1: the MPAA enforcing a PG-13 rating, which caused the unfortunate cutting of 18 minutes (which includes scenes and moments that many people wanted!) which will be on the Director's Cut version, and a trailer that captured a lot of attention from people that wouldn't fit into the semi-niche market the film is for.

In the end, I feel Snyder did a good job that really only bigger fans will truly appreciate.
... I give it 7-7.5/10, but I liked it about 8.5/10.

Thanks a lot for reading,
Mike Sorge
DarkCriticMar 31, 2011
Sucker Punch is actually good for my opinion and I know that everybody else seems to hate it. Even, it's not as good as other films that compare to Zack Synder's films like Dawn of the Dead and 300, especially Watchmen that I didn't like. ButSucker Punch is actually good for my opinion and I know that everybody else seems to hate it. Even, it's not as good as other films that compare to Zack Synder's films like Dawn of the Dead and 300, especially Watchmen that I didn't like. But almost half fun for those hottest girls with terrific costumes to fight in the confusion of the video game world that surrounds the atmosphere, it's really cool. Although, the story is out of place that there's no explanation about the story that it didn't tell anything about the movie from the beginning to the end, it's really downsize of the entire movie that falls down of the silly scenes that keeps going and wondering what the story is really about. But at the time, it's almost good to the bad film and that's okay that it brings the girls into action and Synder is trying hard for the movie, it really brings the intention to a clever movie. It's worth seeing? I think so! So see this movie or rent it, or skip it that people think it really sucks! You won't regret for this. Expand
HeReDiA97Jun 20, 2011
Bueno esta pelicula fue para mi una decepcion total por que yo esperaba algo mas de esta pelicula y se que la pelicula es mala pero por mas que trato de buscar lo malo no lo encuentro asi que lo que a mi menos me gusto fue la trama que esBueno esta pelicula fue para mi una decepcion total por que yo esperaba algo mas de esta pelicula y se que la pelicula es mala pero por mas que trato de buscar lo malo no lo encuentro asi que lo que a mi menos me gusto fue la trama que es malisima de las peores que han habido pero despues de todo se compensa con los efectos especiales y las nenas que estan bien tirables pero sobre todo la experiencia que da aunque yo la pase muy bien se que para muchos esta pelicula puede ser mala y lo es solo digo que a mi me gusto pero pues por lo que vi en esta pelicula es una que no puedo recomendar por la mala trama y por que tiene un final abierto y talvez fue eso lo malo y aunque yo la pase muy bien veo que la mayoria no si eres como yo y te gustan las cosas sin sentido, la accion y las nenas buenas te agradara de lo contrario quitale 2 puntos a la calificacion. Expand
callred13Mar 28, 2011
I created an account here on metacritic just because I was so frustrated with the low critic reviews. Ridiculous! What did you expect??? This movie has a superficial and basic storyline...SO WHAT?! It was a great way to segue into aI created an account here on metacritic just because I was so frustrated with the low critic reviews. Ridiculous! What did you expect??? This movie has a superficial and basic storyline...SO WHAT?! It was a great way to segue into a vibrant and beautiful dream world that was full of intense and extremely satisfying action. Bottom line, if you liked 300, Watchmen, or Kill Bill (which did have a better story but falls along similar stylistic lines), you will definitely like Sucker Punch. Expand
JamApr 12, 2011
A strange action movie, with very impressive special effects. However, it would have deserve a better story and might be considered as pretentious. I saw it with three friends who did not like it.
FlufflyChaosJun 16, 2011
What makes me laugh is that there's not a single negative written review for this movie by Users. I saw it a while back now, and I loved it. It is seriously my favourite movie. It is not misogynistic, it is not just eye candy. The story isWhat makes me laugh is that there's not a single negative written review for this movie by Users. I saw it a while back now, and I loved it. It is seriously my favourite movie. It is not misogynistic, it is not just eye candy. The story is really well done, it's emotional, it's well paced, it's cinematic, I absolutely adore the fight scenes and I felt attached to the characters and their dilemma.
I don't know how the critics are so misinformed here, but it definitely isn't a bad movie, and it is not sexist either. The burlesque quality, while constantly present in costume, is not overly sexualised, and the physical nature of the sexuality is only alluded to whilst our character dives into the layers of the dream.
Bullet97Mar 25, 2011
OK, you're probably surprised that I'm giving this movie such a high rating after the critics have bashed this movie. Well, yes, the writing's not too good, plot's pretty thin, characters (while you do root for them)are only so developed, andOK, you're probably surprised that I'm giving this movie such a high rating after the critics have bashed this movie. Well, yes, the writing's not too good, plot's pretty thin, characters (while you do root for them)are only so developed, and at times, it can all seem a bit silly, but who cares? I went into this to see hot girls kick ass in a world filled with stuff my dreams are made of, and it completely delivered. The acting's surprisingly decent, the visuals are fantastic, the action is so inventive, the premise is intriging, and the direction is amazing. My only real problem with the movie is the ending. It blows. But other than that, I love Sucker Punch, but the ending kept me from freaking loving it. If you're one of those people who must have substance in a movie, look elsewhere. But if you're a person who can turn yuor brain off and have a good time, then Sucker Punch is your movie. Expand
DukeTuringMar 25, 2011
Meh.

Meh.

30-ish mins of kick-ass music videos held together by one-dimensional non-characters, inexcuseablely bad writing, flat performances, and porno-thin gauze plot that alternated between ham-fisted and nonsensically self-important. Save your money, rent it from a vending machine in a few months.
peanut1015Mar 27, 2011
Wow. What could have been. This movie was so boring the 10 year old boy that was with us said he just wanted it to be over (half way through). The visuals were cool (for the few minutes) but the rest of the movie was just plain boring. AndWow. What could have been. This movie was so boring the 10 year old boy that was with us said he just wanted it to be over (half way through). The visuals were cool (for the few minutes) but the rest of the movie was just plain boring. And snyder's use of slo motion is exceedingly overused. There was two women next to me at the show and they just kept laughing at how stupid this movie was. At least it wasn't as bad as skyline. Expand
imaginarysoundsMar 26, 2011
First off, I'll say quite simply that Sucker Punch was a mess of a movie; but if you aren't the kind of movie goer to think for one second about what you're watching--you won't notice.

The story is boring and simple. The "cool" parts

The story is boring and simple. The "cool" parts (which, lets be honest, is why we saw the movie in the first place) are so far removed from the plot that you really have to look for the connection. They were like Family Guy jokes.

Snyder tries soo hard to be epic and give you testosterone goosebumps that he forgets to have a sense of humor or irony and that's where Sucker Punch falls flattest for me. I thought about the movie Scott Pilgrim through the whole thing. Whatever your views on Pilgrim, you can't argue that that movie did not take itsself seriously and had fun. Sucker Punch does not. Snyder force feeds the "cool" visuals down your throat and wants you to believe it and not question it and that leaves it with no soul whatsoever. Yeah, cool you killed a dragon and the epic orchestra music queued right as it's lifeless head hit the ground. Anymore cliche's you can throw my way?

Another aggravating part that is tied to the seriousness is how the movie tries to have a message, a message about life, and angels, and some other **** that didn't really have anything to do with the story. That's the thing, it's just tacked on. Eh, I just don't care to write anymore about it. The only positive thing I have to say about it is that the soundtrack was pretty damn good. I was surprised to hear Bjork, and the Pixies, Beatles, and Stooges covers were very interesting.

But all in all Sucker Punch is a failure of what I hope was just an experiment for Snyder. I know he's got a masterpiece in him somewhere, but this is far from it.
HaVoK308Mar 25, 2011
What a waste. Clearly ruined by attempting to cash in on a larger audience by going cheesy and **** out with a PG-13 rating. This director just lost all credibility by selling out. Don't waste your time with this one.
akelz7Mar 26, 2011
This is 300 but with women instead of men. This was Avatar but not a complete and total ripoff, at least in concept. In execution, it's a work of art. It's a visual masterpiece which is also loud enough to make you feel like you're deaf. AddThis is 300 but with women instead of men. This was Avatar but not a complete and total ripoff, at least in concept. In execution, it's a work of art. It's a visual masterpiece which is also loud enough to make you feel like you're deaf. Add that to acting and story strong enough to piece it together and you have a thrill ride. Expand
johnfryeApr 4, 2011
Empty. This movie had no soul. The plot twist,w as so obvious and there was no tension when in the dream world. They were almost invincible and you knew it was afream. Special effects were awsome, but the plot was weak and seemed a poorEmpty. This movie had no soul. The plot twist,w as so obvious and there was no tension when in the dream world. They were almost invincible and you knew it was afream. Special effects were awsome, but the plot was weak and seemed a poor excuse for the awsome special effects. It was more a video game than a movie. I loved Zack's movies 300 and Watchmen, this was like it was the first film of his special effects guy. Skip it. Expand
mintleavesApr 7, 2011
Sucker Punch is the worst movie I have ever paid to see, do yourself a favor and DO NOT SEE IT. It's plot line is so hard to follow, most of the time I didn't even understand it. The way they went from real life to imagination, over and overSucker Punch is the worst movie I have ever paid to see, do yourself a favor and DO NOT SEE IT. It's plot line is so hard to follow, most of the time I didn't even understand it. The way they went from real life to imagination, over and over again it made the movie stupid and unbelievable. The only good thing about the movie was the special effects which were actually pretty cool, however with no actual story line they weren't appreciated and just made the movie more confusing. If you see a good review for this movie, it will have been written by a guy you just enjoyed young girls dancing around in underwear and fighting. This movie was terrible. Expand
JakeIsHollywoodJun 17, 2011
I hate to be "that guy", but the critics are so full of it. Honestly...how pretentious do you have to be to dislike this film? I'll understand if you don't "get it", but to bash it because you think it's unoriginal? These are the same peopleI hate to be "that guy", but the critics are so full of it. Honestly...how pretentious do you have to be to dislike this film? I'll understand if you don't "get it", but to bash it because you think it's unoriginal? These are the same people who called The Hangover "The best comedy since Office Space"! Give me a break! Sucker Punch is original, entertaining, memorable, and (this is the most important part) a phenomenal film. If you haven't seen it...please do. Expand
moomanMar 25, 2011
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMYYYYYYYYYYYYGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMYYYYYYYYYYYYGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD UHHHHHHHHHHHuHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Expand
HyperpunxMar 25, 2011
To anyone considering whether or not to see Suckerpunch... DONT. Just watch the preview a few times and make up your own ending. Youll be better off... Trust me!
zevbik2Mar 26, 2011
this is ridiculously bad
insectorbuglordMar 26, 2011
I am heavy weapons guy...

and this... is my weapon... she weight one hundred-fifty kilograms and fire $200 custom tooled cartridges at 10,000 rounds per minute... it costs 400,000 dollars to fire this weapon... for twelve seconds.... UHA
I am heavy weapons guy...

it costs 400,000 dollars to fire this weapon... for twelve seconds....

UHA HA HA... ha ha...

some people think they can outsmart me... maybe... maybe...

I've yet to meet one that can outsmart bullet...

also this movie sucks
InfiniteZeroMar 28, 2011
If someone would ask me to describe the mindhump i just saw:
Its was like Charlie's Angels, Matrix, Transformers and a donkey had a 4some on MTV music video and all of the participants were an all different kinds of drugs.
But, strangely
If someone would ask me to describe the mindhump i just saw:
But, strangely enough it wasn't entertaining...
fraigcultonApr 3, 2011
Im a fan of the transformers movies and i could tolerate skyline so i believed i could enjoy sucker punch.All these films have the same principal effects and fight scenes before plot and character development. However the plot in sucker punchIm a fan of the transformers movies and i could tolerate skyline so i believed i could enjoy sucker punch.All these films have the same principal effects and fight scenes before plot and character development. However the plot in sucker punch meant that the entire movie was pointless. The fight scenes were impressive and entertaining but they werent long enough or good enough for me to ignore the cons of this movie Expand
phil24Mar 25, 2011
Story isn't that great but if you like action movies or anything action at all, this movie is worth it. The fighting alone rivals the matrix, but the story wont leave you wanting to own it
GorbaMar 25, 2011
I'll let William Shakespeare write his review for this film: "Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets her hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,I'll let William Shakespeare write his review for this film: "Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets her hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Expand
KewbambooMar 25, 2011
This film did not live up to my lowest of all expectations. The visuals were merely okay, the story was worse than terrible and the acting was hardly bearable. The music was pretty good, but I don't go to the movies for the soundtrack. TheThis film did not live up to my lowest of all expectations. The visuals were merely okay, the story was worse than terrible and the acting was hardly bearable. The music was pretty good, but I don't go to the movies for the soundtrack. The story could have been much better. I wonder if this is the result of the studio trying to draw in the younger generation so they had to pull some good stuff to get the PG-13 rating?? Or simply the story was never meant to be good and the CGI was the mass appeal. Not so much for me. I could hardly make it through the movie. Rent this if you are thinking about seeing this movie! Expand
SabinFrostApr 8, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On principle, this is the worst film I have ever seen in my entire life. I felt like I'd been tricked into sitting through a funeral because my favorite band were playing. If you're unsure how that would feel, call it an apt description of sitting through this abomination. This film takes all of the draws of box office cinema such as visceral action and sex appeal and applies it in all of the wrong places. Not to prove a point, though the narrative certainly highlights the plot, but rather to leave a bad taste in your mouth. It is a manipulative, subversive film, it objectifies hot girls through over the top action intended to symbolize an escape from being pimped out and sexually abused in a mental asylum. The average male cinema goer will look at those women, just like the perverted criminals abusing them, simply because they are shown a stylized version of otherwise disgusting events. Perhaps this is the point, a sick joke at society, at how everything is over-sexualized for entertainment and how the truth is often implied rather then seen, but honestly, I felt like taking a shower afterwards, that is how dirty it made me feel. It is as tactless as telling a dead baby joke to someone whose child has just died. It is like watching One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and 300 simultaneously and in doing so it trivializes a dark, serious plot. On the point of plot, I don't mind cinema with serious, graphic content, it wasn't the disturbing nature of the story, rather the narrative, the way it was told. Plenty of projected morals of freedom, plenty of inspiring narrated monologues, even an anti-stereotypical lead, a young girl portrayed as strong and bold, as opposed to vulnerable. Alice in Wonderland is an obvious comparison for the key ideas of the story, and while you can look into Alice, and interpret it as having darker undertones, it can also been seen and whimsical and fantastical, a child daydreaming, and many consider it a children's book. The point being that you can make a film about escaping from reality where the reality doesn't imply her sister and mother being killed by her step father in the first five minutes, before being thrown into a mental asylum to be medically turned into a vegetable while still sane. You cannot ask for a darker, more emotionally disturbing plot line, but the way it is delivered is subversive and purely disturbing through the layering of reality, fantasy and fantasy within a fantasy. Those who support the film could argue that is quite intentional to heighten the reality through the unbelievability of the fantasy and I'm sure it is, but the result is sickening, the way it objectifies mentally abused girls and trivializes serious events to the point the morals no longer carry weight. One could argue it was tongue in cheek, as exemplified through the scene where a character is 'acting' out the lobotomy on a stage being performed by hot nurses, refusing to do the scene on principal, but I didn't find myself laughing at the joke. It is clear the film is about the beneath the surface shock factor, what is unseen and implied rather then in your face gore. There is hardly a drop of blood in the whole film, and the film makes a direct point of not killing living humans during the fantasy action sequences. This eye candy, is sickeningly sweet, emphasis on the sickening, due to it's implications and while the old horror directors motto of being more scared of the shadow then the monster applies, the context is one to make you vomit in your mouth. I imagine the director would be proud of this response he has elicited, but I'd like to clarify that I'm not shocked, rather contemptuous of what I'd claim to be the worst story ever 'told'. In attempting to be surprising, confronting and daring, showing them something new, the only excitement the director provided me with was going home. Manipulative, subversive, off-putting, trivializing emotionally dak content through deception, this is the 'arty' box office cinema equivalent of a graphic horror film with flimsy moral justification for utter vulgarity. Expand
soldoutactivistMar 31, 2011
Sucker Punch is like a Spike Lee movie; substituting 1-dimensional men for 1-dimensional white people, complete with a few self-hating women. This movie is devoid of all worthwhile meaning and empowers only the kind of women who shouldn't beSucker Punch is like a Spike Lee movie; substituting 1-dimensional men for 1-dimensional white people, complete with a few self-hating women. This movie is devoid of all worthwhile meaning and empowers only the kind of women who shouldn't be allowed children. The theme is that women are useless in the real world and can succeed only in fantasy. All the positive reviews hype the action, the visuals, the nerd references. They say, "Leave your brain at the door." Saying this movie looks great so the rest doesn't matter is like enjoying a rape film because it has good cinematography. Oh and one more thing: the visuals weren't that great. Expand
MovieGuyBrianApr 1, 2011