First Look International | Release Date: August 29, 2008
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 24 Ratings
WATCH NOW
BroyaxJan 10, 2017
Une sorte de prélude au western Django de Tarantino (avec une apparition de Tarantino dedans) mais à la manière japonaise sous la houlette du cinglé Takashi Miike dont la filmographie houleuse s'avère très souvent des plus douteuses. CouleursUne sorte de prélude au western Django de Tarantino (avec une apparition de Tarantino dedans) mais à la manière japonaise sous la houlette du cinglé Takashi Miike dont la filmographie houleuse s'avère très souvent des plus douteuses. Couleurs saturées, acteurs japonais saturés de saké, scénario de gogolito pour une poignée de yens, humour (?) outré tarantineux pas frais, ce Sukiyaki est immangeable. Une sombre et abyssale débilité. Expand
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
This movie is a hyperactive live action anime-manga twist on the Italian Western. Like Alex Cox's "Straight to Hell," this film blends two genres (here, Chanbara/Samurai and the Italian Western) to give us something surreal, shocking, andThis movie is a hyperactive live action anime-manga twist on the Italian Western. Like Alex Cox's "Straight to Hell," this film blends two genres (here, Chanbara/Samurai and the Italian Western) to give us something surreal, shocking, and ironic. The Japanese cast speak English in an almost stereotypical "ESL" way and it comes off like a riff on the crappy dubs Asian movies of the 70s got in the West. Quentin does his bit perfectly and even switches to a stereotypical "white man doing a Japanese accent" for some dialogue. Everything is knowingly artificial and it works - well. A saloon features a Japanese theater stage, where an interpretive dance based on a variety of Asian dance forms is performed; instead of the usual painted backdrop found in old westerns, here we have a painted Japanese screen as backing; katanas fly against six-shooters; the clothes are a hodgepodge of street gang, old west, and samurai; The War of the Roses meets Yojimbo meets Fistful of Dollars. All in all, I am extremely pleased and enjoy the film immensely. Gets more repeat viewing than Kill Bill at my house. Expand
oxanaAug 25, 2014
A friend referred this movie to me. I guess I should be cautious in the future when taking advice from her, because frankly, this movie was weird. And not in the good way.

The movie starts with a scene that makes no sense whatsoever,

The movie starts with a scene that makes no sense whatsoever, bordering to bad, ironic humor, and there are several moments in the whole film that seem totally off.

There are a lot of characters, but very few of them stand out (the sheriff is definitely the comical relief in the whole movie, and kept it at least somewhat bearable with occasional laughs).

A lot of stories exist within the big plot, but most of them fail miserably. They are almost off-handedly represented, as if they are not all that important even if they are, leaving a lot for guessing, and then there are a whole lot of things that might be meaningful, but you can't really tell because it's an awful mess.

The timing of some scenes is difficult to place because they appear randomly, and that really doesn't make the entire film any more pleasant to watch.

I don't know if it was the Eastern flavor, because some elements in the movie were definitely from there. But I've seen Japanese movies better constructed than this, so that cannot be blamed.

Lots of pretty faces (especially Masanobu Ando as Yoichi!), but that alone doesn't carry the movie very far ? especially when their characters just don't find their place in the movie like they should.
ScottJ.Jul 18, 2009
This movie is a hyperactive live action anime-manga twist on the Italian Western. Like Alex Cox's "Straight to Hell," this film blends two genres (here, Chanbara/Samurai and the Italian Western) to give us something surreal, shocking, This movie is a hyperactive live action anime-manga twist on the Italian Western. Like Alex Cox's "Straight to Hell," this film blends two genres (here, Chanbara/Samurai and the Italian Western) to give us something surreal, shocking, and ironic. The Japanese cast speak English in an almost stereotypical "ESL" way and it comes off like a riff on the crappy dubs Asian movies of the 70s got in the West. Quentin does his bit perfectly and even switches to a stereotypical "white man doing a Japanese accent" for some dialogue. Everything is knowingly artificial and it works - well. A saloon features a Japanese theater stage, where an interpretive dance based on a variety of Asian dance forms is performed; instead of the usual painted backdrop found in old westerns, here we have a painted Japanese screen as backing; katanas fly against six-shooters; the clothes are a hodgepodge of street gang, old west, and samurai; The War of the Roses meets Yojimbo meets Fistful of Dollars. All in all, I am extremely pleased and enjoy the film immensely. Gets more repeat viewing than Kill Bill at my house. Expand
[Anonymous]Apr 25, 2009
Hmm...miike should stick with horror/shock. i won't go as far as to say tarantino's movies are garbage, as that has nothing to do with this movie because he doesn't direct it. i suppose if i were japanese i would get a kick Hmm...miike should stick with horror/shock. i won't go as far as to say tarantino's movies are garbage, as that has nothing to do with this movie because he doesn't direct it. i suppose if i were japanese i would get a kick out of the actors speaking english...but as an american viewer it's a bit muddled. lot's of bits and pieces from other westerns and some awkward comedic relief drag it down. miike's got a flair for style, though. Collapse
MikeHNov 6, 2008
This movie was hilarious and had me laughing the whole way through!
JayH.Nov 5, 2008
I have never liked films like this and doubt I ever will. Anything Tarantino touches to me is garbage. It is well photographed, the acting is fair at best but the story is relentlessly boring.