7.3

1. Brian
    Oct 17, 2007
    first half made it look like it was gonna be great but it trailed off to being unrealistic and implausible. its entertaining if there's nothing else on tv, but id never watch it a second time
  2. Oct 17, 2010
    I liked almost everything about this movie - the characters are realistic, the conflicts among the crew are believable and interesting, the action and pace of the film is intense and engrossing, and the special effects look fantastic. I really have no idea why they decided to throw a supernatural "monster" in at the end, it definitely broke the spell for me. Fortunately there are enoughI liked almost everything about this movie - the characters are realistic, the conflicts among the crew are believable and interesting, the action and pace of the film is intense and engrossing, and the special effects look fantastic. I really have no idea why they decided to throw a supernatural "monster" in at the end, it definitely broke the spell for me. Fortunately there are enough positives in this movie to compensate for the one big negative. Expand
  3. Jul 30, 2011
    Incredibly tense, human thriller with it's share of eye-opening moments. Brilliantly acted, beautifully shot and with a killer soundtrack but let down slightly by it's B-movie twist in the final act.
  4. Jul 30, 2012
    Interesting movie along the lines of Alien for a claustrophobic feeling aboard a spaceship although without the uniqueness (or alien) reasonably well acted but unfortunately it descends into predictability about half way through and seems to run out of ideas.
  5. Feb 5, 2012
    Okay, first off, this movie won't be for everyone. Some people will find the ending far too ridiculous. Hell, many people will find the premise far too ridiculous. A lot of people will be turned off by the silly slasher element.

All that aside it is a sci-fi movie that makes the most of what sci-fi has to offer: a vista of our solar system that will take your breath away and a claustrophobic environment that makes Alien look like a relaxing trip. Spectacular and truly memorable visuals. Shame that the film had so many holes.
  6. Nov 25, 2011
    Its outstanding the work it has been done here.
    Boyles creative mind to set us in a ficcional but real struggle of humans extinction is incredible.
    I love the scenes of the planets, the stars, the worlds... the OST is pretty cool and do what it must.

I´ve watched like ten times and i love it every time
  7. Feb 11, 2012
    Danny Boyle is a master of visuals, Sunshine is a sci-fi movie with some of the greatest visual shots contained. Despite the film being a thriller and horror of sorts, with the main theme here being the human fear of death. The film is quiet, it doesn't scream its presence and doesn't attempt to truly make you scared, in fact it is. An enjoyable and relaxing melodrama. It takes its timeDanny Boyle is a master of visuals, Sunshine is a sci-fi movie with some of the greatest visual shots contained. Despite the film being a thriller and horror of sorts, with the main theme here being the human fear of death. The film is quiet, it doesn't scream its presence and doesn't attempt to truly make you scared, in fact it is. An enjoyable and relaxing melodrama. It takes its time and puts you at ease with the inevitable death and destruction that will occur in the film. Every moment stopping to show you that despite being on a dark metal ship, the characters are in a beautiful place. There's a limit to what you can see, the sun, a spaceship and, space. Yet Boyle manages to create hundreds of magnificent shots that are fresh, incredible and breath-taking. But we can't just judge on the visuals. The cast are truly magnificent, Chris Evans, Mark Strong and Cillian Murphy being on top form. the acting works along with the visuals and creates this atmosphere of tension and relaxation at the same time, it's bizarre but, absolutely incredible. Expand
  8. Jan 25, 2015
    Very intriguing film that for some reason has gone under the radar. The visuals a strong, it has a great atmosphere, the idea is fascinating and you really get involved in the events and story. It even has horror elements (although those seem to be the ones some people have issues with). Great sci-fi experience with good performances and thrilling moments. See it!
  9. Apr 6, 2014
    Sunshine has a very intense atmosphere and the most unimaginable travel I've ever seen! The combination of beautiful pictures and a damn good soundtrack makes this movie for me unforgettable.

The characters are good constructed in the first act and then they will even change during the movie. I have to admit this movie isn't for everyone: It has a deep philosophical aspect and little action. But I'm really happy there's finally again a movie, which doesn't have stereotypical heroes like in Armageddon!

Many people complain about the third act, but I think it matches to the movie, because think about the problems, which ALL the characters had to solve! This movie gets better every time I rewatch it and everything (also the third act) gets clearer. I rarely experience this. Yes, it's not completely realistic, but it's a science-FICTION-movie, so it doesn't really bother me.
  10. Nov 30, 2014
    This movie is just an amazing, very compelling and highly underrated Triumph! It has everything what a great movie needs. It is, exciting, thrilling, moving, visually outstanding, it plays with symbolism, asks and explores philosophical and moral questions in a profound way and and and the work and effort they have put in that movie is remarkable. A Masterpiece to me! ... Can't believe howThis movie is just an amazing, very compelling and highly underrated Triumph! It has everything what a great movie needs. It is, exciting, thrilling, moving, visually outstanding, it plays with symbolism, asks and explores philosophical and moral questions in a profound way and and and the work and effort they have put in that movie is remarkable. A Masterpiece to me! ... Can't believe how little it made in the box office ... Expand
  11. Feb 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Could have been good, if halfway through the movie it would not turn from science fiction to horror/supernatural. Started really good, the scenery was beautiful, the actors were good. The problems started when the "Sun is god" plot was introduced. They board the derelict ship that was sent to the Sun years ago, but failed to accomplish it's mission. It turns out that captain of the other ship is still alive and became some kind of burned monster and servant to Sun. The "creature" start to kill of the ships crew one-by-one, because Sun does not want the crew to restart it's rotation. Yeah this is where thing get rather silly and illogical. The movie from that point is nothing more than a cat and mouse chase movie between the "burned Sun servant" and the crew of the second ship. I did not like that when the "Sun servant" I don't know how to call it) was shown the camera became shaky and blurred. It was rather distracting, like the director did not know how to approach this part of the movie. The ending end everything else from that point is rather predictable. Overall an average horror movie. Expand
  12. Mar 1, 2012
    Wonderful soundtrack and great visuals. The movie would be a lot worse if it wasn't for the soundtrack. Do not watch it expecting a hard SF movie or any scientific accuracy. It's all about the characters and the atmosphere.
  13. Dec 30, 2011
    All in all, it's not very good. The movie really doesn't present anything new to the genre and seems very recycled. Like most of the other reviewers, I felt the last half hour almost dragged the whole movie from an okay to a horrible. Much of the movie felt like it was filled with some pretty unnecessary events, but the whole last half hour was filled with them. The whole slasher part ofAll in all, it's not very good. The movie really doesn't present anything new to the genre and seems very recycled. Like most of the other reviewers, I felt the last half hour almost dragged the whole movie from an okay to a horrible. Much of the movie felt like it was filled with some pretty unnecessary events, but the whole last half hour was filled with them. The whole slasher part of the plot was ridiculous, even more so because he was only in it for about twenty minutes of the films hour forty-five. And, of course, it just has to end with a "you have to release the bomb manually" ending. The movie does have a pretty good soundtrack and admittedly stunning visuals. The shots of the sun and spacecraft really did look real. But all in all, there's nothing you're missing here that you couldn't watching in dozens of other sci-fi movies. Expand
  14. Sep 28, 2013
    Good acting, good special effects, solid dialogue, good cinematography....... no character arc and bad story.

Through the first and second acts I started to get the feeling that rather than a story, what I was watching was a string of technical mishaps which the characters need to get out of. I didn't get the feeling that there was any character in the movie who was changing in any way or learning anything but that I can live with.

I can't live with a bad story.

The third act is ridiculous with the addition of a character that makes no sense whatsoever and there was no setup for.

If you are a big Sci Fi fan, who can live with flaws as long as you get some decent special effects and passable story, you'll probably be fine with this movie.

If you are someone who is more particular about story without regard for genre you are going to be iffy on this one, trust me.

Overall not bad but it ain't Boyle's best, that's for sure.
  15. Sep 25, 2011
    I got what I expected from Sunshine; a profound SF masterpiece that doesn't contain all those unnecessary dialogue and stupid characters. Though Danny Boyle was foolish to put a zombie into the movie, nevertheless its one of the year's best films.
  16. May 1, 2013
    Spoiler alert!
    Spoiler alert!
    Reading reviews of Sunshine is a profoundly depressing experience, and reminds me that western culture is in its last death throes. Every single archetype, symbolism and cultural alliteration swushes as completely and utterly over the heads of reviewers as a Star Trek spaceship, before they proceed to complain about narratives they don`t understand because of illiteracy and an ending they understand even less for the same reason.
    On a first viewing, Sunshine is a visually impressive, if claustrophobic story of a group of scientists on their way to reignite the Sun with the largest nuclear bomb in NATO history. Nothing special there, and if this is all the movie remains for you, more impressive movies can certainly be found. But even on a first viewing it should be obvious that there is another story being told that reaches down into the very foundations of western cultural traditions. You`d think reviewers born and raised in the west might notice this therefore. No such luck!
    To mention all the symbolism, religious and cultural references contained in Sunshine is not easy; indeed I may not even have noticed them all. But from the basic allegory of the Sun as truth/God/creating force present in the Greek, Egyptian, Roman and Christian traditions, many of them are so evident I squirm with embarrassment on behalf of those who fail to notice even any of it.
    The first is the ship in which they travel, named Icarus after the Greek mythological figure who flew too close to the Sun so his wings fell off. As with everything else this is not a literal event being retold, but an allegory regarding the force of truth/God and the futility of trying to become God. If the entire movie is viewed as an allegory of the search for truth, you could easily see that most reviewers would need very powerful sunglasses indeed. If this is correct though, the gatekeeper of truth is the movie`s nemesis, Penbacker, who seeks to destroy the Icarus and prevent the crew from reigniting the Sun, by killing them all. Like a Syrian pillar hermit he has spent seven years close to God (the Sun) and presumes to have understood the futility of denying the death of God (truth), and aggressively seeks to prevent anyone from reigniting the Sun/remaking God/finding truth.
    The actual bomb is triggered from a cross-shaped scaffolding. The cross was traditionally a symbol of the rebirth of God, even before Christianity. Around this cross is a square, representing order. Logically then, as the bomb goes off and God (The Sun) is reborn on the Cross, the main character (Capo) transcends, is reborn as God and a new order begins.
    This is why the ending to the movie is the way it is. Not to be weird but to tell an allegorical story about God/truth/rebirth. To the allegorical illiterates in this weird society this is all nonsense of course, and Sunshine is a bad movie because it`s not simple enough for them.

I could obviously talk more about all this, and it would be nice if at least one conversation about Sunshine would. Some people detest allegory and wouldn`t recognize a cultural symbol if it jumped up and gave them a haircut, which is perfectly fine. But it might be helpful if the people criticizing this splendid movie understood what an allegory is at least. Personally I firmly believe that certain things can`t be properly communicated without them, as my puny attempts to verbalize them here should illustrate, and I feel that movies with allegorical depth are the only ones that ever become classics. Much the same can be said of literature. And if it`s allegorical depth you want you can`t find a better movie than Sunshine. I defiantly vote 10!
  17. Doug
    Jul 18, 2007
    A confusing, boring mess that relies for its drama on smart people doing very stupid things when they aren't being killed off by the screenwriter's bloodthirsty, contrived machinations. Good cast, wonderful score, junk masquerading as profundity for a screenplay. My advice is to re-watch "Alien": that's where Alex Garland borrowed about forty percent of his ideas for A confusing, boring mess that relies for its drama on smart people doing very stupid things when they aren't being killed off by the screenwriter's bloodthirsty, contrived machinations. Good cast, wonderful score, junk masquerading as profundity for a screenplay. My advice is to re-watch "Alien": that's where Alex Garland borrowed about forty percent of his ideas for "Sunshine." The only difference is, in "Alien" those ideas make sense. Expand
  18. David
    Feb 6, 2008
    An absolute masterpiece in cinematography; excellent scene transitions, intense and emotion-ridden soundtrack, and the sheer magnitude of their mission is enough to put chills down your spine. For instance the scene where Capa makes his jump from the Icarus II to the payload is one of the most powerful scenes I have seen in any movie. Absolutely fantastic and the best movie I have ever An absolute masterpiece in cinematography; excellent scene transitions, intense and emotion-ridden soundtrack, and the sheer magnitude of their mission is enough to put chills down your spine. For instance the scene where Capa makes his jump from the Icarus II to the payload is one of the most powerful scenes I have seen in any movie. Absolutely fantastic and the best movie I have ever seen. Period. Oh and to all of you 2 and 1 star-ers, consider this; if this movie didn't have the thriller aspect of the third act you would probably be here whining and complaining about the movie being too boring. Expand
  19. STS
    Jun 11, 2012
    This is one of my favourite sci-fi films, though it can be hard to re-watch it after you know the story. It is a great example of a quiet and thoughtful science fiction film, moved by characters and some really solid acting. And in all honesty, I did NOT want to see it due to the initial premise. The sun going out, you say? Rubbish, I say. But once I sat down and actually watched it,This is one of my favourite sci-fi films, though it can be hard to re-watch it after you know the story. It is a great example of a quiet and thoughtful science fiction film, moved by characters and some really solid acting. And in all honesty, I did NOT want to see it due to the initial premise. The sun going out, you say? Rubbish, I say. But once I sat down and actually watched it, I really really enjoyed it. I guess it's one of those sci-fi films where you have to just agree to not worry too much about the actual science. Just accept the initial premise and go from there. Incredibly heart-wrenching at times, this is a great film. Expand
  20. J.K.C
    Jul 19, 2007
    The Worst Film ever~~~~~~ all bout the movie is total scrap... the craft are so plasticky, the storyline are so stupid, the dialogue are so lame... maybe for those "clever" who like bout NASA-things will like this film, but for common people who watch this will ends up with ????? or what the hell????
  21. AramisG
    Jul 29, 2007
    Dear Mr. Boyle, Please let me know what medical application a spinning scalpel has now or in the future? This movie was a mess and a waste of my time and money. Boyle adds little or nothing to the "space odyssey" genre, instead taking the Rob Zombie route in appropriating or just ripping off other and better movies. 2001 (Alien, Solaris, etc.) comparisons are purely superficial, instead Dear Mr. Boyle, Please let me know what medical application a spinning scalpel has now or in the future? This movie was a mess and a waste of my time and money. Boyle adds little or nothing to the "space odyssey" genre, instead taking the Rob Zombie route in appropriating or just ripping off other and better movies. 2001 (Alien, Solaris, etc.) comparisons are purely superficial, instead think Event Horizon meets Hellraiser 2 (complete with skin falling off of arm bite). The movie starts off shaky and just gets worse and worse every near disaster they run into. I gave it a 1 for the cool gold space suits alone, nothing else in Sunshine is worth the price of admission. Expand
  22. PascalF.
    Aug 3, 2007
    I don't get the good ratings given to this movie. Beautiful images, then the movie turns into a very stupid "there is an evil force in the spaceship" movie. Has any reviewer seen 2001: A space odyssey? Alien? Event Horizon? Solaris? Then, why the generaly good reviews? Maybe the critics left after five minutes, not seeing the stupid ending. I feel better now.
  23. ArthurC.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Pretty much garbage throughout, the science especially. The 3rd act confirms its stupidity.
  24. AC
    Oct 11, 2007
    Dreadful. Full of gaping plotholes, and utilising every sci-fi cliche in the book. Not silly enough to be fun, or sensible enough to be clever, the whole thing is deathly dull, and why is there suddenly a space slasher plot shoehorned in? Avoid.
  25. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sunshine is 2/3rds of a great film. But that third act is such a ruinous mistake that it taints the entire experience.

I mean, for the first two acts, Sunshine's basically a master class in how to create a brilliant scifi film. There's this loneliness and tension and a methodical, measured tone that really works to pull you into the film. It's obviously very referential of 2001, but without the mindnumbing pace and lack of characterization of Kubrick's film. It just fires on all cylinders in this beautifully conceived scifi environment. Plus, John Murphy's soundtrack is absolutely mesmerizing. "Adagio in D Minor" is a particular standout and his career achievement to date. Some of the events in the film do feel familiar, but that wasn't a bad thing. They felt like nice little tips of the hat to the giants of the genre. For example, the dilemma about running out of oxygen and having to kill a member of the crew to cut down on consumption felt like a very obvious callback to Tom Godwin's classic scifi short story "The Cold Equations." You know, the one about a girl secretly stowing aboard a small spacecraft with one pilot that's delivering life-saving drugs to a colony. Unfortunately, there's only enough fuel for the weight of the pilot and the drugs aboard, and the girl's added weight means the ship is going to run out of fuel and crash on the planet, killing both of them. So the only solution is to jettison this poor girl out the airlock. It's a very similar situation in the film, but that didn't bother me at all. If you're going to take influences, might as well take them from the best.

And then the third act twist occurs, and it all just goes right to hell. I dunno what Danny Boyle and his scriptwriter were thinking, but man, that uh... that last act and what happens was just such a course change, and an unneeded one for me, that it completely stopped the movie. You're just staring at the screen wondering why, why, why. Why would they drop the ball like this? The whole tone and tenor of the piece just veered off in this rather ridiculous and unbelievable direction. I felt cheated, to be honest. It didn't make sense and didn't seem to be what the first two acts had been about. The twist is that the captain of the first Icarus is alive and he's basically a monster out of a slasher film. He's somehow been living on the other ship getting a suntan for all these years and now he's on the Icarus 2 murdering people and possessing superhuman strength even though he's covered all over with horrible burns. Also, he appears as this blurry, vibrating, fluctuating mess on camera which makes no sense. I guess Danny Boyle wanted it to create some sort of effect or to suggest that perhaps he's just a hallucination, but it just looked irritating to my eyes. Of course, you've gotta wonder how he even became Captain of the Icarus, you'd think NASA or whoever would check for mental instability when picking the crew for THE MOST IMPORTANT MANNED SPACE MISSION OF ALL TIME.

It's tough, because you really want to recommend this somewhat unknown scifi film to friends (it only made around 3 million at the box office IIRC) but that last act is a blunder that just sinks the whole thing. Can I really recommend 2/3rds of a film to someone? That's what I'd like to do.
  26. Sep 8, 2010
    wonderful!!! i absolutely loved it! acting - WOW! story - WOW! soundtrack - double WOW! i just can't believe that so few people saw it. i recomed to everybody to see this wonderful picture..... really well done
  27. ChadS.
    Aug 2, 2007
    You'll be hard-pressed to recall a science-fiction film with better characterizations and casting than "Sunshine". Story-wise, this "Alien"-like homage is nothing to write home about, but the presence of Cillian Murphy(who shows more passion for a male crewmate than towards...), Rose Byrne(who seems on the verge of making a sexual advance towards Capa(Murphy) before the ship's You'll be hard-pressed to recall a science-fiction film with better characterizations and casting than "Sunshine". Story-wise, this "Alien"-like homage is nothing to write home about, but the presence of Cillian Murphy(who shows more passion for a male crewmate than towards...), Rose Byrne(who seems on the verge of making a sexual advance towards Capa(Murphy) before the ship's alarm creates a orientational impasse), and Michelle Yeoh(who gets to play vulnerable instead of exhibiting steely resolve for a change, she gets weepy over a plant) makes the professional interactions of this Benneton space-nation more interesting than their actual mission, which enables this film to be thought of fondly as the thinking man's "Armageddeon". The filmmaker could've done a better job at setting up the film's pivotal suspenseful moment. This filmmaker isn't trying to make a cerebral film like "2001: A Space Odyessy, so it's incompetence, not transcendence that's achieved when the ship's menace is made relevant. There's no build-up. Still, the integrated cast is well-chosen and more importantly, organic. There isn't the whiff of tokenism you get from the "Harry Potter" films. Expand
  28. SilvioJ.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Amazing movie from start to finish. Most people missed this masterpiece, I'm telling everyone I know.
  29. jrocknyc
    Sep 3, 2007
    Feels like "2001," except '2001" bored me to tears and this movie rocked.
  30. GuyW.
    Aug 24, 2007
    This movie is a sketch - an outline - of great science fiction. It should be shown in film study class as a survey of themes from other SF - Silent Running, 2001/2010, Alien/Aliens, Outland. I could barely call it an homage since it doesn't dwell on any one theme or movie very long. It almost felt like it wanted to be an entire series - like Firefly - but that would only reveal how This movie is a sketch - an outline - of great science fiction. It should be shown in film study class as a survey of themes from other SF - Silent Running, 2001/2010, Alien/Aliens, Outland. I could barely call it an homage since it doesn't dwell on any one theme or movie very long. It almost felt like it wanted to be an entire series - like Firefly - but that would only reveal how thin the characters really are. Ultimately I found the movie interesting but not satisfying. Expand
  31. JD.
    Aug 3, 2007
    Typical outing for this kind of Scifi that imitates that which has gone before it so its really nothing original. I found it hard to follow and a plot with a lot of holes in it.
  32. JaredC.
    Jul 28, 2007
    It is the boringest, dullest film since The Core, a similar related idea of science fiction film. I never found it appealing nor engaging once.
  33. SimonFlemingFleming
    Sep 6, 2007
    Event horizon, but not as good.
  34. noop
    Oct 23, 2008
    Very, very crappy movie. Complete nonsense.
  35. Raoul
    Oct 4, 2008
    I liked it, until the horror part came and I actually didn't feel leek bothering to watch the end. I turned it off. So I'd like to reply to Sam, who asked: "How would you have ended it?" My answer would be this: I'd prefer it without an end, over what they decided upon. Anything, but that. Let them succeed, fail, no matter, but keep that sense of intelligence intact, I liked it, until the horror part came and I actually didn't feel leek bothering to watch the end. I turned it off. So I'd like to reply to Sam, who asked: "How would you have ended it?" My answer would be this: I'd prefer it without an end, over what they decided upon. Anything, but that. Let them succeed, fail, no matter, but keep that sense of intelligence intact, whether it lives or dies. Expand
  36. RH
    Apr 25, 2008
    You have got to be kidding! I can't believe this movie got such high scores! It is one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen... a total jumble... little character development, and an implausible, incomprehensible story line. The sound quality was so poor I had a hard time hearing a lot of the dialogue Maybe if I saw it in a theater instead of on DVD it would be some better, You have got to be kidding! I can't believe this movie got such high scores! It is one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen... a total jumble... little character development, and an implausible, incomprehensible story line. The sound quality was so poor I had a hard time hearing a lot of the dialogue Maybe if I saw it in a theater instead of on DVD it would be some better, but I doubt it. Expand
  37. CharlesT.
    Feb 22, 2009
    Reading other comments made me think that this would be a run of the mill the earth is screwed type of science fiction movie. I was wrong. There were of course some cliches that dragged the movie down but the stunning visual effects made me ignore that. This isn't a movie for someone who likes to sit dumbfaced in front of a screen and let's things be completely explained to Reading other comments made me think that this would be a run of the mill the earth is screwed type of science fiction movie. I was wrong. There were of course some cliches that dragged the movie down but the stunning visual effects made me ignore that. This isn't a movie for someone who likes to sit dumbfaced in front of a screen and let's things be completely explained to them, it's more of a think-a-long movie. You do have to forgive the movie some of its tendencies to stray into the abstract but without those strays, it wouldn't be as special and meaningful. Overall this is a wonderful experience that deserves to be enjoyed. Expand
  38. ColinJ.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Parts of it were watchable, but I couldn't get past the many absurdities in this movie. Anyone with the most rudimentary understanding of science will need to put that aside for the duration of this film. Alas the scientific absurdities are only the start of the problem.
  39. SeanP.
    Jul 23, 2007
    The San Francisco Chronicle, namely Mick LaSalle, was correct. Pure cinematic dreck.
  40. DougN.
    Jul 29, 2007
    A confused collection of SciFi effects. I couldn't really get it.
  41. DR
    Jan 11, 2008
    Great production value, terrible science. I couldn't suspend disbelief.
  42. Nov 25, 2011
    Danny Boyle's Sunshine delivers on so many levels. Though it's about a team of astronauts and scientists trying to restart the sun, it's not really a sci-fi, not in essence. You've got the interstellar location and advanced technology of such a genre, but Sunshine has far more in common with old seafaring adventure pictures (the highly claustrophobic surroundings and steadily buildingDanny Boyle's Sunshine delivers on so many levels. Though it's about a team of astronauts and scientists trying to restart the sun, it's not really a sci-fi, not in essence. You've got the interstellar location and advanced technology of such a genre, but Sunshine has far more in common with old seafaring adventure pictures (the highly claustrophobic surroundings and steadily building conflicts between the crew could have been lifted directly out of The Bounty). There's also a decent helping of psychological horror, which fits in nicely with the cramped, eerie locations of the film and the high stakes that are involved. At its heart, Sunshine addresses the very darkest elements of human nature - our quest for knowledge and our need to survive. The fact that Boyle can discuss such deep and complex issues in an engaging and accessible way is a true testament to him as a filmmaker. Alex Garland's writing is strong, Boyle's storytelling fluid, the effects rather beautiful and the actor's performances (particularly Cillian Murphy and Rose Byrne) solid. Where Sunshine falls slightly short is in its finale - while still decent enough in filmmaking terms, it loses a little focus and seems a bit too preoccupied with tying everything up quickly and neatly, when a more open ended and ambiguous ending might have been more powerful. Even so, you're unlikely to see another such thought-provoking sci-fi any time soon. Expand
  43. Nov 5, 2011
    A very dramatic sci-fi thriller that leads to a very planned out plot and an exciting setting. I think the performances in this film were a little So and So.
  44. Jul 1, 2012
    Good special effects. Good characters. Nice plot. But the end of the movie is bizarre. It's not a masterpiece, but anyway it is a good science-fiction movie. Possibly better than average.
  45. Sep 21, 2012
    Arguably the best sci movie of the last 20 years. If you cant handle that at the end of the movie the hero activates the payload inside the sun, its not for you. Partly horror, it still puts good movies like Armageddon, Deep impact and Event Horizon in another league.
  46. Aug 13, 2012
    Britain's best director Danny Boyle is back and this time with a interstellar epic. Dr Robert Capa is aboard the ship Icarus II along with several crew members sent to deliver a payload of universal proportions to the dying Sun, this payload will hopefully re-ignite it and save the human race from a new Ice Age and inevitable extinction. However they soon realise how the Icarus I's missionBritain's best director Danny Boyle is back and this time with a interstellar epic. Dr Robert Capa is aboard the ship Icarus II along with several crew members sent to deliver a payload of universal proportions to the dying Sun, this payload will hopefully re-ignite it and save the human race from a new Ice Age and inevitable extinction. However they soon realise how the Icarus I's mission to do the same job failed and find their own lives in danger as long as the rest of humanities. Mind blowing special effects, edge of your seat action and a touching story of isolation, friendship and teamwork. Sunshine is British film making at its best. Expand
  47. Mar 28, 2013
    It is atmospheric and the characters are doing a very good job with the script they were given. Visuals are also top notch, most of the time. However, it's sooooooooo damn boring. I've been to uni lectures on geology more exciting than this. This movie is a beautiful dead corpse laying on the directors table. You can see he's trying to revive it with occasional jolts of life. But they passIt is atmospheric and the characters are doing a very good job with the script they were given. Visuals are also top notch, most of the time. However, it's sooooooooo damn boring. I've been to uni lectures on geology more exciting than this. This movie is a beautiful dead corpse laying on the directors table. You can see he's trying to revive it with occasional jolts of life. But they pass and the corpse remains. Lifeless and empty. Overall: Sunlight is a movie that look brilliant on page and is best left in written form. It is an utterly boring movie that can not be saved. Expand
  48. Jan 23, 2014
    Bad film with very bad writing. Boyle said to got inspiration from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Alien. Against all odds, not a single piece of talent is to be found here. The film relays on an over dramatic crew to create a force atmosphere; and stupid choices to make 1 hour of extra film. The script is just awful and predictable. Cillian Murphy is the cherry on the top of theBad film with very bad writing. Boyle said to got inspiration from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Alien. Against all odds, not a single piece of talent is to be found here. The film relays on an over dramatic crew to create a force atmosphere; and stupid choices to make 1 hour of extra film. The script is just awful and predictable. Cillian Murphy is the cherry on the top of the turd; I don't want to see his face again, I don't want to hear him again.

The film have few good thing. It starts is fantastic and an example. And it could have being a great movie. But you can stop watching after 30 minutes; just about the time in which a PhD in maths make a booboo and forgot to carry one. That is the smaller plot hole you will see from that point on.
  49. EricaM.
    Jan 9, 2008
    As usual, Boyle makes a fantastic two-thirds of a movie. Like everyone is saying, the last bit of the movie loses some cohesion. However, the film is just so beautiful it is hard to look away. There is some obvious borrowing from Solaris and Event Horizon but meh...I mean, we haven't had a good sci-fi movie in years. I'll take it.
  50. katherynh.
    Sep 8, 2007
    Nice first half with character introduction and plot set-up along with the p.o.v.-then takes a sudden (and irrelevant) left turn off in another direction! What gives? Clearly, someone lost his/her way. First movie I ever walked out on in disgust at the silliness.
  51. Nick
    Feb 6, 2008
    Although many will see this epic idea for a movie as deeply flawed (myself included), especially with the addition of the random zombie near the end of the movie (oh yah, this is a Danny Boyle movie...), it tackles extensive depth into the vastness, lonliness, and beauty of the universe. A beautiful movie people will look back on favorably, even if they don't see it that way now.
  52. DaleC.
    Oct 8, 2007
    One of my favorite sci-fi movies in recent years. Amazing effects, a very realistic description of what a manned interplanetary mission might look like, and a soundtrack that will floor you. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
  53. AZ
    Jul 18, 2007
    An intense thrill ride that never lets up.
  54. AlexW
    Jul 19, 2007
    Sunshine's visuals and soundtrack are inarguably excellent, and the first two thirds are saturated with low-key tension and sub-textual drama, which is unremittingly exhausting. The bleak, alien hostility of space has rarely been captured so well. Although the finale fails to capitalize on this properly, the visuals and music are powerful enough at this point that it simply Sunshine's visuals and soundtrack are inarguably excellent, and the first two thirds are saturated with low-key tension and sub-textual drama, which is unremittingly exhausting. The bleak, alien hostility of space has rarely been captured so well. Although the finale fails to capitalize on this properly, the visuals and music are powerful enough at this point that it simply doesn't matter. Derivative and loosely sketched, but memorable. Expand
  55. RyanP
    Jul 23, 2007
    The unnerving task of completing such a mission in the vastness of space is what made this good! Danny Boyle has mastered another genre when you look at the characters interactions with one another. after all, that's what he wanted, an "Ensemble cast" Anyone who ever looks up at the stars and wonders about space and what's out there and what can happen will enjoy this film. The unnerving task of completing such a mission in the vastness of space is what made this good! Danny Boyle has mastered another genre when you look at the characters interactions with one another. after all, that's what he wanted, an "Ensemble cast" Anyone who ever looks up at the stars and wonders about space and what's out there and what can happen will enjoy this film. Don't listen to those critics about the realism, even if it's not plausible it's still a highly entertaining movie! Expand
  56. DJS
    Jul 25, 2007
    Great movie, on the level of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Great character development and lot of interesting ideas as far as the ship they travel on. Sure the science reigniting a star is blurry and it would take much much bigger mass that what they have in the movie. One element which prevents me from scoring this movie as 10 is the fact they had to add that "slasher" scene near the end of the Great movie, on the level of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Great character development and lot of interesting ideas as far as the ship they travel on. Sure the science reigniting a star is blurry and it would take much much bigger mass that what they have in the movie. One element which prevents me from scoring this movie as 10 is the fact they had to add that "slasher" scene near the end of the movie so that teen audience is satisfied... it ruins the movie a bit. Expand
    Jul 31, 2007
    For the first 2/3 of the movie tension between the characters grows ever-more apparent as the immense pressure the crew is under breaks down their sanity one by one. Sadly at that point, just when it looks like things could boil over they instead ignore the previous emotional pressure subsides to create am outside villan for the characters to combat. This was both a highly predicable move For the first 2/3 of the movie tension between the characters grows ever-more apparent as the immense pressure the crew is under breaks down their sanity one by one. Sadly at that point, just when it looks like things could boil over they instead ignore the previous emotional pressure subsides to create am outside villan for the characters to combat. This was both a highly predicable move (I saw it coming...) and a rather poor one. I'm basically saying that the last portion of the movie completely misses out the on the strengths that made the first half so excellent. If they could've kept the intelligent emotional thriller going right up through the end it would've been one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen. Instead it ends up above average, a solid B for me, so I'd say that's an 8. Expand
  58. AaronS.
    Aug 11, 2007
    A very good film. Boyle takes bits from other classic SF films and meshes them together with his own ideas. The result is not the mess I had expected after reading a few mixed reviews. Rather, this is an intense even elegant film-not the kind of picture you expect to find in the wastelands that is Summer film season. The first hour of the film is sensational-filled with breathtaking A very good film. Boyle takes bits from other classic SF films and meshes them together with his own ideas. The result is not the mess I had expected after reading a few mixed reviews. Rather, this is an intense even elegant film-not the kind of picture you expect to find in the wastelands that is Summer film season. The first hour of the film is sensational-filled with breathtaking visuals, interesting concepts and ideas. And then in the latter part of the film, Boyle and his screenwriter Alex Garland pull out a left field plot twist that is jarring to say the least. While it takes a HUGE suspension of disbelief to swallow (mind you this is science fiction), I guess I'm in the camp that felt it didn't destroy the film. It just takes it to a different place than I had expected. The ending is chaotic-but so intense and involving I didn't mind the sharp turn into horror 'Sunshine' took. The final scenes are actually quite moving-no part due to the amazing soundtrack composed by Underworld. The less you know of the film, the more you'll enjoy it. And it really should be seen on a big screen to appreciate the visuals. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the beautifully eerie sound work on the film. It's as stunning as the visuals are. 'Sunshine' really looks like a more expensive film than it really is-Hollywood should take note on what you can do on a lesser budget. Great film-enjoyed the hell out of it. A complete surprise. Easily one of the better films in 2007. Oh and that '0' review "written" by J.K C - I'm mean really now. What is up with that. If you avoid this film because of those poorly written remarks then I don't know. Expand
  59. Walter
    Aug 2, 2007
    Ignore the silly critics on here trying to snob-themselves above this film. Go and enjoy. It's a thriller, a sci-fi brainer, and has elements of horror in it as well. While, for some this causes some form of confusion during the movie, for the rest of us, the visual power and pure energy are wonderful. Beautifully filmed and very cool...see it on a weeknight and TRY not to think Ignore the silly critics on here trying to snob-themselves above this film. Go and enjoy. It's a thriller, a sci-fi brainer, and has elements of horror in it as well. While, for some this causes some form of confusion during the movie, for the rest of us, the visual power and pure energy are wonderful. Beautifully filmed and very cool...see it on a weeknight and TRY not to think about it afterward...I dare ya. Expand
  60. RolandS
    Aug 2, 2007
    If you like science fiction, you'll enjoy this movie and forsake it's subtle flaws (I don't consider the 3rd act a flaw BTW) I hope there is a director's cut that is four hours long. Good use of the cognitive and social sciences, I felt my two years at community college finally paid off.
  61. Lao3D
    Aug 20, 2007
    Not as good as some comments here might lead you to believe, nor as bad, this film is ultimately a thoughtful and well-made sci-fi film, with large doses of suspense. If that sounds like your scene, you'll enjoy it. I found some of the action hard to follow, and some plot holes still have me scratching my head. But still, it's an interesting film and worthy of a big-screen viewing.
  62. SeanT.
    Aug 4, 2007
    This movie is not nearly as cerebral as many viewers and critics have asserted. Having worried that the movie would be reminiscent of Solaris (Soderbergh)--plodding, pointless, hopelessly pretentious--I was very pleasantly surprised with this bit of cinema. Sure, the cast is young; however, that does not detract from the overall visual style of the movie nor the plotting nor the This movie is not nearly as cerebral as many viewers and critics have asserted. Having worried that the movie would be reminiscent of Solaris (Soderbergh)--plodding, pointless, hopelessly pretentious--I was very pleasantly surprised with this bit of cinema. Sure, the cast is young; however, that does not detract from the overall visual style of the movie nor the plotting nor the characterization. The attractiveness of the cast apparently miffed the SF Chronicle reviewer, and his diatribe's logic reduces to the following: only an ugly actor is a good actor. An infuriating implication for anyone that has tried to be judged on the basis of anything other than their looks. It's hard to find science fiction that isn't simple-minded and violent or (conversely) pretentious and dull. Boyle has struck the right balance with this picture. Go see it!! Expand
  63. Marina
    Aug 7, 2007
    Saw it FIVE times in two weeks! What is wrong with this world when so many people cannot decidedly sit and watch a film for the enjoyment of what is offered? It's certainly not boring! It's definitely not visually dark and dull. Just sit and enjoy for the pure entertainment of it! That's why it is classified as fiction and not as a documentary. What is it? No cartoon Saw it FIVE times in two weeks! What is wrong with this world when so many people cannot decidedly sit and watch a film for the enjoyment of what is offered? It's certainly not boring! It's definitely not visually dark and dull. Just sit and enjoy for the pure entertainment of it! That's why it is classified as fiction and not as a documentary. What is it? No cartoon characters? No male/female relationship problems, cheating, unwanted pergnancies, shoot 'em ups, car chases, sex, or other similarly bane plots? I really don't understand what some people think makes a good film. It was a two-fer: space and a monster! ENJOY the FUN! After all, it was Danny Boyle and Alex Garland! Expand
  64. KevinH.
    Aug 8, 2007
    Glorius visuals, worthwhile ethical debates and intelligent casting make Sunshine a worthwhile picture. The film almost makes it to the hallowed goal of a great sci-fi film. But then, a bit of left over plot line from 28 Days Later slips in. Director Boyle is good enough to keep the energy of Sunshine moving along, holding our interest, but ultimately the course of the story is thrown as Glorius visuals, worthwhile ethical debates and intelligent casting make Sunshine a worthwhile picture. The film almost makes it to the hallowed goal of a great sci-fi film. But then, a bit of left over plot line from 28 Days Later slips in. Director Boyle is good enough to keep the energy of Sunshine moving along, holding our interest, but ultimately the course of the story is thrown as far off line as the course of the space ship Icarus II. Despite its problems including plot lapses that occurred to me afterwards, Sunshine rises well above most of the dreck that passes for sci-fi entertainment. Plot gaps that occurred to me after the movie include: With the change in course/goal of the mission it seems obvious that the chances for errors and unpredicted problems would be greatly increased, but none of the crew argued that point. If the computer can issue warnings for various events, why does it not issue a warning that the shields need to be realigned to protect the ship and its mission? Why is a major course change and its implications calculated, checked and impliemented by only one person, when in other scenes group-thinking is used effectively? Expand
  65. FadiA.
    Sep 17, 2007
    one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long time, great visual effects away from being glossy and polished, well performing cast, and unbelievable escalation of plot. I could not over look the Event Horizon influence, but who can blame em, That was one hell of a movie.
  66. hollyc
    Sep 2, 2007
    Users: "Lao 3D" and "Guy W." gave a pretty good surmise of my thoughts on Sunshine, so I won't repeat it. However, I'll add that if you've watched (or read) "The Beach"--another Alex Garland story, there's a bit of the same tell-tale twists (some would say silly twists) at the end that are somewhat predictable now---which is disappointing. Actually, most of the plot Users: "Lao 3D" and "Guy W." gave a pretty good surmise of my thoughts on Sunshine, so I won't repeat it. However, I'll add that if you've watched (or read) "The Beach"--another Alex Garland story, there's a bit of the same tell-tale twists (some would say silly twists) at the end that are somewhat predictable now---which is disappointing. Actually, most of the plot turns in Sunshine are pretty predictable, but more in that, cliche' of space opera stories told countless times sort of way. However, the visuals throughout are pretty stunning---though the audio was a little overdone--especially given the best part of the film to me was the quiet psychology of the crew and their task. That area gets a little lost as the movie goes on but I'd still say it was an ok movie. Not great, that's for sure---but not terrible either. Definitely derivative (& boring in that sense) but worth a DVD rental for sure. Expand
  67. NickB
    Jan 21, 2008
    This is a movie that really started off great, of course the visuals are beautiful, and the acting is very believable. Boyle did a good job introducing the cast and just the over all look of the film was very creative. the intensity of the film was at a nice steady pace but for those of you who saw the film know that for some reason the plot started to branch off into lame and unnecessary This is a movie that really started off great, of course the visuals are beautiful, and the acting is very believable. Boyle did a good job introducing the cast and just the over all look of the film was very creative. the intensity of the film was at a nice steady pace but for those of you who saw the film know that for some reason the plot started to branch off into lame and unnecessary directions that easily took this movie from sci-fi classic and brought it back down to earth to a disappointingly slightly above average sci-fi film. Expand
  68. ScottS.
    Feb 13, 2008
    Stunning visuals and a great story make a captivating viewing I just felt slight let down but the ending.
  69. Mattt
    Mar 28, 2008
    Fantastic movie. Visually stunning, Great acting (for the most part, I wish they didn't cast the human torch in a movie full of fire). Suspenseful and emotional. I would have received a 10, but the turn to slasher horror movie in the last part seemed very out of place and improbable.
  70. MattA.
    Apr 1, 2008
    Overall a good movie. The Sci-Fi cinematography is second to none. A beautiful splendor for the eyes, which almost draws out an emotional connection in itself. THe story (while i admit is a bitch far fetched to the brink of unbelievability) is entertaining none the less, if you are into the whole 2001: A Space oddysee thing. I admit, this movie is not for everyone, and i have respect for Overall a good movie. The Sci-Fi cinematography is second to none. A beautiful splendor for the eyes, which almost draws out an emotional connection in itself. THe story (while i admit is a bitch far fetched to the brink of unbelievability) is entertaining none the less, if you are into the whole 2001: A Space oddysee thing. I admit, this movie is not for everyone, and i have respect for those who didn't like it. For me, however, it was more than what i expected. Expand
  71. CoryG
    Apr 18, 2008
    Absolutely amazing. With the perfect soundtrack to boot!
  72. HariS.
    Jul 16, 2007
    Really good even though at times quite confusing.
  73. samj.
    Jul 16, 2007
    Certainly not for everyone, but die hard sci-fi fans will certainly be pleased.
  74. JoeT
    Jul 22, 2007
    5 for the first half, before everything starts going pear-shaped and people start dying. 1 for the climax and the final couple of scenes, the rest of the second half is complete mess.. I'm a huge Danny Boyle fan, but the latter half might possibly be worse the second half of A Life Less Ordinary, the next worse film in the director's canon. A huge disappointment, but Boyle 5 for the first half, before everything starts going pear-shaped and people start dying. 1 for the climax and the final couple of scenes, the rest of the second half is complete mess.. I'm a huge Danny Boyle fan, but the latter half might possibly be worse the second half of A Life Less Ordinary, the next worse film in the director's canon. A huge disappointment, but Boyle really regrets passing on 28 Weeks Later. Expand
  75. TerryD
    Jul 23, 2007
    Sunshine is, in a few words, great ingredients in an otherwise burned cake. The production design is wonderful, the effects state of the art, the characters are believable, and the storyline pretty darn original. However, there are some rather large holes in the story and sequence of events that ruin the film. [***SPOILER***] So here we go: 1. The fatal mistake the navigator makes that Sunshine is, in a few words, great ingredients in an otherwise burned cake. The production design is wonderful, the effects state of the art, the characters are believable, and the storyline pretty darn original. However, there are some rather large holes in the story and sequence of events that ruin the film. [***SPOILER***] So here we go: 1. The fatal mistake the navigator makes that damages the ship would not have happened Expand
  76. JackB
    Jul 23, 2007
    Okay. So this movie is really enjoyable. However, there is one thing I must warn you about. Be prepared to suspend disbelief. Basically, the movie isn't that hard to follow if you're paying attention. If you're fascinated by space travel and science fiction you will enjoy this. Unfortunately, you need to know just a small bit of science to enjoy a lot of this movie. Okay. So this movie is really enjoyable. However, there is one thing I must warn you about. Be prepared to suspend disbelief. Basically, the movie isn't that hard to follow if you're paying attention. If you're fascinated by space travel and science fiction you will enjoy this. Unfortunately, you need to know just a small bit of science to enjoy a lot of this movie. However, that is it's fatal flaw because if you know just a little bit you will know how ridiculous it is. It's glorious to look at, but you'll want to go home and watch alien. Then 2001. Expand
  77. MarkMl
    Jul 23, 2007
    Such a great premise with an appealing cast and compelling production design, but the denouement left me cold. Way too many parallels in the final reel to the decidedly mediocre recent sci-fi flick "Event Horizon." Still, any movie dealing with a near-future spaceflight mission that has a psych counselor on the crew has something going for it. That touch alone shows that there was some Such a great premise with an appealing cast and compelling production design, but the denouement left me cold. Way too many parallels in the final reel to the decidedly mediocre recent sci-fi flick "Event Horizon." Still, any movie dealing with a near-future spaceflight mission that has a psych counselor on the crew has something going for it. That touch alone shows that there was some thought put into making the basic setup a plausible one, even if it eventually rides off the rails a bit. Expand
  78. BillySingerle
    Jul 27, 2007
    When Stanley Kubrick died in 1999, I thanked the movie Gods that it my lifetime I was witness to the entire career of the one true cinematic genius in the history of motion pictures. Today, after seeing Sunshine, I thank the movie Gods that I am alive to witness the early career of the next cinematic genius! Danny Boyle is without a doubt, the new Stanley Kubrick. Sunshine is one of a When Stanley Kubrick died in 1999, I thanked the movie Gods that it my lifetime I was witness to the entire career of the one true cinematic genius in the history of motion pictures. Today, after seeing Sunshine, I thank the movie Gods that I am alive to witness the early career of the next cinematic genius! Danny Boyle is without a doubt, the new Stanley Kubrick. Sunshine is one of a handful of films that you can say "I left the theatre in AWE!" Theres no sense in trying to describe it because it is undescibable. It is simply a jaw-dropping trip into celluloid heaven and Danny Boyle, after Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Millions and now Sunshine, is my new cinema God! Expand
  79. MarcelRamagnano
    Jul 27, 2007
    This year's best film, by far. Really, just an amazing movie in general; fantastic story line and seriously incredible visuals. One of the best sci-fi movies in a LONG time. I think even people not very big on sci-fi would find it incredibly enjoyable. A beautiful, stunning film.
  80. ThomasL
    Jul 29, 2007
    Sunshine is classic sci-fi filmmaking at its absolute best. It's been a while since I've seen a pure sci-fi film, esp. one that is set in space. The visuals of the sun and Icarus I & II spacecraft were mesmerizing. Excellent & diverse cast, too.
  81. SSeverin
    Jul 31, 2007
    intense, fun, the cast is physically attractive, if you're able to silence the tiny voice of disbelief, you will have fun w/ this one
  82. IanB
    Aug 12, 2007
    Wonderful Film. To those who complain about the homages to such greats in the genre as "Alien" "2001" "Event Horizon" "Solaris (not the George clooney one)" I think you are missing the point. The movie is wonderfully art directed and uses elements from those films and then pushes them further into a spiritual journey undertaken by the crew. P.S: Who knew Chris Evans could act? Brilliant.
  83. NickA.
    Aug 20, 2007
    Reputable in his line of duty, British director Danny Boyle can
  84. AlexC
    Aug 6, 2007
    Sunshine is an excellent, but flawed, movie. Boyle asks you to follow him as the film slides from sci-fi voyage to action-adventure to (very briefly) horror. Unlike some reviewers, I had no problem with this. The major flaw is in the last 20 minutes, when the flow of action becomes somewhat muddled (though stunningly shot). This is the rare movie that could stand to be 10 minutes longer; Sunshine is an excellent, but flawed, movie. Boyle asks you to follow him as the film slides from sci-fi voyage to action-adventure to (very briefly) horror. Unlike some reviewers, I had no problem with this. The major flaw is in the last 20 minutes, when the flow of action becomes somewhat muddled (though stunningly shot). This is the rare movie that could stand to be 10 minutes longer; a few more short scenes would better situate the action at the end. Beautiful, thought-provoking, and tense. Expand
  85. CamilS.
    Sep 11, 2007
    Good, entertaining, haunting movie.
  86. Joey
    Jan 11, 2008
    While I can understand the reservations expressed by the above commentators (especially claims that it devolved in the last act; but I feel the same way about The Shining), I found this movie riveting. Further, claims about the movie's "scientific absurdities" and "implausibilities" are, in my opinion, overstated. This is quality sci-fi and a must see for any fan. I must add that my While I can understand the reservations expressed by the above commentators (especially claims that it devolved in the last act; but I feel the same way about The Shining), I found this movie riveting. Further, claims about the movie's "scientific absurdities" and "implausibilities" are, in my opinion, overstated. This is quality sci-fi and a must see for any fan. I must add that my wife fell asleep in the first half-hour, but she did the same in, well, all of my favorite western and sci-fi pics. Expand
  87. KentC.
    Jan 13, 2008
    The first two-thirds or so of the movie were very good. The actors fit well with their characters (Cillian Murphy is very talented in any of his roles). The concept was great and the action was fast paced. However, that all seemed pointless after we discover the so called "twist" at the final one-third or so of the movie. Whatever amount of enjoyment and interest that you had for the The first two-thirds or so of the movie were very good. The actors fit well with their characters (Cillian Murphy is very talented in any of his roles). The concept was great and the action was fast paced. However, that all seemed pointless after we discover the so called "twist" at the final one-third or so of the movie. Whatever amount of enjoyment and interest that you had for the movie was nearly destroyed by that incomprehensible "twist". It was stupid. It was physically impossible for it to ever happen in real life. Worst of all, it ruined the whole movie experience. Expand
  88. LH
    Jan 14, 2008
    A fantastic, gorgeous film that has more in common with "2001" than most current (read: loud, flashy) sci-fi. By turns intense, moving, and scary, it packs a lot of ideas into a little over an hour and a half. Excellent.
  89. Phil
    Jan 21, 2008
    I think a lot of people judge this film too harshly. It isn't perfect, but it is a decent entry into the sci-fi category.
  90. helloyou
    Jan 8, 2008
    Dunno what some of these guys are talking about. It's a movie, so you can't base it completely in our reality. But even if you do, nothing is too absurd to believe in this movie. I really enjoyed this movie. I rented it with 3:10 to Yuma and ended up watching both the same day and Sunshine sticks in my mind far more. The beautiful imagery alone is worth watching this movie. On Dunno what some of these guys are talking about. It's a movie, so you can't base it completely in our reality. But even if you do, nothing is too absurd to believe in this movie. I really enjoyed this movie. I rented it with 3:10 to Yuma and ended up watching both the same day and Sunshine sticks in my mind far more. The beautiful imagery alone is worth watching this movie. On top of that the cast was great all around, especially Cillain Murphy (as usual) and the guy from the Fanastic Four movies was suprising excellent (dunno his name atm). Both these guys really carried the movie for me. Once you think you have seen everything there is to see in the movie and think it may start to get a bit redundant it completely throws you a new angle a little more than halfway through. Some people have a problem with this...I don't know why...for me it was the best part of the entire movie. Expand
  91. Sam
    May 11, 2008
    Spoilers Why was the 'slahser flick' section 'shoehorned' in? Because the movie wouldn't have worked without it. We have Capa, a man who fears two things: the sun, and failure to deliver the payload. Then the oxygen garden is destroyed, leaving them with one option: go to the supposedly abandonned Icarus I. Since it becamse their only option, the possibilites on Spoilers Why was the 'slahser flick' section 'shoehorned' in? Because the movie wouldn't have worked without it. We have Capa, a man who fears two things: the sun, and failure to deliver the payload. Then the oxygen garden is destroyed, leaving them with one option: go to the supposedly abandonned Icarus I. Since it becamse their only option, the possibilites on what happened over there are even more thought of and beyond terrifying. When they get there, nothing. They can't control the ship at all, but behold, we have Pinbacker, a man whose sole intentions are to protect what Capa fears and destroy what he needs to protect. Tell me, haters, how would you have ended it? Take away Pinbacker and you have no closure to what happened on Icarus I, which is a huge focus in the film. The movie could not have ended without Pinbacker. Without him, there is no final third. Without him, you take away one of the best things about what is possibly the best sci-fi film of the decade. Expand
  92. KendoJ
    May 31, 2009
    Very awesome movie. Gets a 9 for an excellent tragedy/triumph flick and a bonus mark for having the soundtrack of 2007.
  93. JasonP.
    Jul 17, 2007
    In Sunshine, like his last outing in the genre 28 Days Later, Danny Boyle continues his fustrating trend of making a film with a unique vision on a tired genre, interesting characters, and raw and sometimes beautiful visuals - at least until the final third of the movie. Again in Sunshine, it appears that Danny Boyle finished the movie he wanted to make by the half-way point and decided In Sunshine, like his last outing in the genre 28 Days Later, Danny Boyle continues his fustrating trend of making a film with a unique vision on a tired genre, interesting characters, and raw and sometimes beautiful visuals - at least until the final third of the movie. Again in Sunshine, it appears that Danny Boyle finished the movie he wanted to make by the half-way point and decided to let old sci-fi cliche's and 80's slasher impulses take control of the rest of the movie. H/e, his keen eye for visual effects blended with setting elevates this movie to a good, but not by any means great, entry into the space-opera genre. Perhaps he set our sights too too high early in the movie in a beautiful yet simple scene, as the crew silently watches Mercury, dwarfed by the gigantic proportion of the sun, makes its transit across the star. Expand
  94. rostokov
    Jul 19, 2007
    Garland's been in the sun too long , judging by this frazzled mess of a script. The best Boyle can do is shake the camera about and use MTV edits to distract from its incoherence. Unreleasable trash.
  95. equality7-2521
    Jul 21, 2007
    Cinematic poetry. I think Danny Boyle is my fave filmmaker now. Really inspiring. I think the majority of American audiences want Transformers type sci fi and therefore will not fully appreciate this film. Like I care. So fortunate that we can find gems like this released in mid-Summer. I heard the soundtrack will be released in September. Obviously, another great score from John Murphy.
  96. grant
    Jul 23, 2007
    Stunning imagery. Throwbacks to 2001, Dark Star, and other great sci fi flicks. A little far fetched at times. But overall, if thought the ending was stupid, confusing or weird, you've missed the not-so-subtle point. Danny Boyle directed an atheists' sci fi film. If you walk out of this film not thinking, maybe you should be watching something more cozzy, like Norbit.
  97. PaulK
    Jul 26, 2007
    Visually stunning and washed in brilliant memorizing orange, this movie is anything but light. The closer to the sun, the darker it gets...If you've seen the extended trailer, you won't be disappointed. But really, with Cillian Murphy in the lead and Danny Boyle at the helm, seeing this is a no brainer. See it on the big screen, if you can.
  98. codyspahr
    Jul 28, 2007
    not the greatest movie ever. but its been so long since ive seen a typical sci-fi flick, so i totaly enjoyed it. It doesnt bring anything new, but pulls off the basic space odyssey very well. danny boyle fans shouldnt be dissapointed. and come on, 0 out of 10, i cant even take that stuff seriously. no taste, just hating it for the sake of hating it.
  99. D.B.
    Jul 28, 2007
    I must stake claim that Sunshine is the best Science fiction film of the last 20 years. It's simply magnificent. The story borders on the metaphysical as it leads the viewer on a spellbinding journey into the mind. I must commend Danny Boyle on his bravery in tackling such a risk taking venture into space. With a budget of 45 million, please tell me who else could have made such a I must stake claim that Sunshine is the best Science fiction film of the last 20 years. It's simply magnificent. The story borders on the metaphysical as it leads the viewer on a spellbinding journey into the mind. I must commend Danny Boyle on his bravery in tackling such a risk taking venture into space. With a budget of 45 million, please tell me who else could have made such a masterpiece. It's just a reflection of the talent and genius of this great director. Films like this just don't get made anymore, where you don't need a special effects extravaganza to reach for some element of quality. Don Expand
  100. SteveC
    Jul 29, 2007
    Its seems that all the reviewers who don't like this film have taken issue with the realism of the piece. Suspension of disbelief is necessary to enjoy any type of non-fiction, especially sci-fi. Aside from the awkward "horror movie" ending, the film is actually really good.

1. They’ve taken "2001" and Tarkovsky’s "Solaris" and "Silent Running," mixed in stuff from save-the-earth pictures like "The Core" and "Deep Impact," and thrown in a cheesy climax out of "Alien."
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Like a collapsing star, Sunshine initially burns brightly but finally implodes into a dramatic black hole.
  3. Reviewed by: Nathan Lee
    Ideas scintillate over the surface of Sunshine without ever quite igniting, but at least the movie sparkles. What it doesn't do is cohere. Action flick, sci-fi thriller, metaphysical adventure, incoherent allegory, ethical hypothesis, and horror film all at once, this mad multitasker has the agenda of a dozen movies. Problem is, we know which ones.