7.3

1. Doug
    Jul 18, 2007
    A confusing, boring mess that relies for its drama on smart people doing very stupid things when they aren't being killed off by the screenwriter's bloodthirsty, contrived machinations. Good cast, wonderful score, junk masquerading as profundity for a screenplay. My advice is to re-watch "Alien": that's where Alex Garland borrowed about forty percent of his ideas for A confusing, boring mess that relies for its drama on smart people doing very stupid things when they aren't being killed off by the screenwriter's bloodthirsty, contrived machinations. Good cast, wonderful score, junk masquerading as profundity for a screenplay. My advice is to re-watch "Alien": that's where Alex Garland borrowed about forty percent of his ideas for "Sunshine." The only difference is, in "Alien" those ideas make sense. Expand
  2. J.K.C
    Jul 19, 2007
    The Worst Film ever~~~~~~ all bout the movie is total scrap... the craft are so plasticky, the storyline are so stupid, the dialogue are so lame... maybe for those "clever" who like bout NASA-things will like this film, but for common people who watch this will ends up with ????? or what the hell????
  3. AramisG
    Jul 29, 2007
    Dear Mr. Boyle, Please let me know what medical application a spinning scalpel has now or in the future? This movie was a mess and a waste of my time and money. Boyle adds little or nothing to the "space odyssey" genre, instead taking the Rob Zombie route in appropriating or just ripping off other and better movies. 2001 (Alien, Solaris, etc.) comparisons are purely superficial, instead Dear Mr. Boyle, Please let me know what medical application a spinning scalpel has now or in the future? This movie was a mess and a waste of my time and money. Boyle adds little or nothing to the "space odyssey" genre, instead taking the Rob Zombie route in appropriating or just ripping off other and better movies. 2001 (Alien, Solaris, etc.) comparisons are purely superficial, instead think Event Horizon meets Hellraiser 2 (complete with skin falling off of arm bite). The movie starts off shaky and just gets worse and worse every near disaster they run into. I gave it a 1 for the cool gold space suits alone, nothing else in Sunshine is worth the price of admission. Expand
  4. PascalF.
    Aug 3, 2007
    I don't get the good ratings given to this movie. Beautiful images, then the movie turns into a very stupid "there is an evil force in the spaceship" movie. Has any reviewer seen 2001: A space odyssey? Alien? Event Horizon? Solaris? Then, why the generaly good reviews? Maybe the critics left after five minutes, not seeing the stupid ending. I feel better now.
  5. ArthurC.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Pretty much garbage throughout, the science especially. The 3rd act confirms its stupidity.
  6. AC
    Oct 11, 2007
    Dreadful. Full of gaping plotholes, and utilising every sci-fi cliche in the book. Not silly enough to be fun, or sensible enough to be clever, the whole thing is deathly dull, and why is there suddenly a space slasher plot shoehorned in? Avoid.
  7. JaredC.
    Jul 28, 2007
    It is the boringest, dullest film since The Core, a similar related idea of science fiction film. I never found it appealing nor engaging once.
  8. SimonFlemingFleming
    Sep 6, 2007
    Event horizon, but not as good.
  9. noop
    Oct 23, 2008
    Very, very crappy movie. Complete nonsense.
  10. RH
    Apr 25, 2008
    You have got to be kidding! I can't believe this movie got such high scores! It is one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen... a total jumble... little character development, and an implausible, incomprehensible story line. The sound quality was so poor I had a hard time hearing a lot of the dialogue Maybe if I saw it in a theater instead of on DVD it would be some better, You have got to be kidding! I can't believe this movie got such high scores! It is one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen... a total jumble... little character development, and an implausible, incomprehensible story line. The sound quality was so poor I had a hard time hearing a lot of the dialogue Maybe if I saw it in a theater instead of on DVD it would be some better, but I doubt it. Expand
  11. SeanP.
    Jul 23, 2007
    The San Francisco Chronicle, namely Mick LaSalle, was correct. Pure cinematic dreck.
  12. DR
    Jan 11, 2008
    Great production value, terrible science. I couldn't suspend disbelief.
  13. Mar 28, 2013
    It is atmospheric and the characters are doing a very good job with the script they were given. Visuals are also top notch, most of the time. However, it's sooooooooo damn boring. I've been to uni lectures on geology more exciting than this. This movie is a beautiful dead corpse laying on the directors table. You can see he's trying to revive it with occasional jolts of life. But they passIt is atmospheric and the characters are doing a very good job with the script they were given. Visuals are also top notch, most of the time. However, it's sooooooooo damn boring. I've been to uni lectures on geology more exciting than this. This movie is a beautiful dead corpse laying on the directors table. You can see he's trying to revive it with occasional jolts of life. But they pass and the corpse remains. Lifeless and empty. Overall: Sunlight is a movie that look brilliant on page and is best left in written form. It is an utterly boring movie that can not be saved. Expand
  14. Jan 23, 2014
    Bad film with very bad writing. Boyle said to got inspiration from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Alien. Against all odds, not a single piece of talent is to be found here. The film relays on an over dramatic crew to create a force atmosphere; and stupid choices to make 1 hour of extra film. The script is just awful and predictable. Cillian Murphy is the cherry on the top of theBad film with very bad writing. Boyle said to got inspiration from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Alien. Against all odds, not a single piece of talent is to be found here. The film relays on an over dramatic crew to create a force atmosphere; and stupid choices to make 1 hour of extra film. The script is just awful and predictable. Cillian Murphy is the cherry on the top of the turd; I don't want to see his face again, I don't want to hear him again.

The film have few good thing. It starts is fantastic and an example. And it could have being a great movie. But you can stop watching after 30 minutes; just about the time in which a PhD in maths make a booboo and forgot to carry one. That is the smaller plot hole you will see from that point on.
  15. Nov 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the movie starts out OK, the second half is utter garbage. A completely unnecessary slasher scene dominates the 3rd act, and immediately changes the tempo and tone of the film. Some poor editing choices make it almost unbearable to watch.

And their fake science was pretty poor. The zombie captain has super strength, because he's crazy? His flesh is literally falling off, but he can pick up the main protagonist with one hand? The only hazard to going outside in space, without a suit, is some minor frostbite? A garden that sits unchecked for 7 years becomes a jungle, without anyone producing CO2 to sustain it?

The cast is solid. The visuals are solid. The second half seems tacked on, and forced.

1. They’ve taken "2001" and Tarkovsky’s "Solaris" and "Silent Running," mixed in stuff from save-the-earth pictures like "The Core" and "Deep Impact," and thrown in a cheesy climax out of "Alien."
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Like a collapsing star, Sunshine initially burns brightly but finally implodes into a dramatic black hole.
  3. Reviewed by: Nathan Lee
    Ideas scintillate over the surface of Sunshine without ever quite igniting, but at least the movie sparkles. What it doesn't do is cohere. Action flick, sci-fi thriller, metaphysical adventure, incoherent allegory, ethical hypothesis, and horror film all at once, this mad multitasker has the agenda of a dozen movies. Problem is, we know which ones.