Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: July 20, 2007
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 310 Ratings
Watch Now
wiggipopJul 30, 2011
Incredibly tense, human thriller with it's share of eye-opening moments. Brilliantly acted, beautifully shot and with a killer soundtrack but let down slightly by it's B-movie twist in the final act.
AdanedhelNov 25, 2011
Its outstanding the work it has been done here.
Boyles creative mind to set us in a ficcional but real struggle of humans extinction is incredible.
Its outstanding the work it has been done here.
I love the scenes of the planets, the stars, the worlds... the OST is pretty cool and do what it must.

I´ve watched like ten times and i love it every time
HidekiNaraFeb 11, 2012
Danny Boyle is a master of visuals, Sunshine is a sci-fi movie with some of the greatest visual shots contained. Despite the film being a thriller and horror of sorts, with the main theme here being the human fear of death. The film is quiet,Danny Boyle is a master of visuals, Sunshine is a sci-fi movie with some of the greatest visual shots contained. Despite the film being a thriller and horror of sorts, with the main theme here being the human fear of death. The film is quiet, it doesn't scream its presence and doesn't attempt to truly make you scared, in fact it is. An enjoyable and relaxing melodrama. It takes its time and puts you at ease with the inevitable death and destruction that will occur in the film. Every moment stopping to show you that despite being on a dark metal ship, the characters are in a beautiful place. There's a limit to what you can see, the sun, a spaceship and, space. Yet Boyle manages to create hundreds of magnificent shots that are fresh, incredible and breath-taking. But we can't just judge on the visuals. The cast are truly magnificent, Chris Evans, Mark Strong and Cillian Murphy being on top form. the acting works along with the visuals and creates this atmosphere of tension and relaxation at the same time, it's bizarre but, absolutely incredible. Expand
sanyrubJan 25, 2015
Very intriguing film that for some reason has gone under the radar. The visuals a strong, it has a great atmosphere, the idea is fascinating and you really get involved in the events and story. It even has horror elements (although those seemVery intriguing film that for some reason has gone under the radar. The visuals a strong, it has a great atmosphere, the idea is fascinating and you really get involved in the events and story. It even has horror elements (although those seem to be the ones some people have issues with). Great sci-fi experience with good performances and thrilling moments. See it! Expand
MichMartApr 6, 2014
Sunshine has a very intense atmosphere and the most unimaginable travel I've ever seen! The combination of beautiful pictures and a damn good soundtrack makes this movie for me unforgettable.

The characters are good constructed in the

The characters are good constructed in the first act and then they will even change during the movie. I have to admit this movie isn't for everyone: It has a deep philosophical aspect and little action. But I'm really happy there's finally again a movie, which doesn't have stereotypical heroes like in Armageddon!

Many people complain about the third act, but I think it matches to the movie, because think about the problems, which ALL the characters had to solve! This movie gets better every time I rewatch it and everything (also the third act) gets clearer. I rarely experience this. Yes, it's not completely realistic, but it's a science-FICTION-movie, so it doesn't really bother me.
Benkoko11Feb 23, 2017
Boyle keeps his sci-fi-epic-turned-slasher remarkably contained, offering a glimpse at the socialogy of a space team on a suicide mission and excellent performances by Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans power it sunward.
nohoboboOct 17, 2010
I liked almost everything about this movie - the characters are realistic, the conflicts among the crew are believable and interesting, the action and pace of the film is intense and engrossing, and the special effects look fantastic. II liked almost everything about this movie - the characters are realistic, the conflicts among the crew are believable and interesting, the action and pace of the film is intense and engrossing, and the special effects look fantastic. I really have no idea why they decided to throw a supernatural "monster" in at the end, it definitely broke the spell for me. Fortunately there are enough positives in this movie to compensate for the one big negative. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 25, 2011
I got what I expected from Sunshine; a profound SF masterpiece that doesn't contain all those unnecessary dialogue and stupid characters. Though Danny Boyle was foolish to put a zombie into the movie, nevertheless its one of the year's best films.
CorwinMar 1, 2012
Wonderful soundtrack and great visuals. The movie would be a lot worse if it wasn't for the soundtrack. Do not watch it expecting a hard SF movie or any scientific accuracy. It's all about the characters and the atmosphere.
SkulbMay 1, 2013
Spoiler alert!
Spoiler alert!
Reading reviews of Sunshine is a profoundly depressing experience, and reminds me that western culture is in its last death throes. Every single archetype, symbolism and cultural alliteration swushes as completely and utterly over the heads of reviewers as a Star Trek spaceship, before they proceed to complain about narratives they don`t understand because of illiteracy and an ending they understand even less for the same reason.
On a first viewing, Sunshine is a visually impressive, if claustrophobic story of a group of scientists on their way to reignite the Sun with the largest nuclear bomb in NATO history. Nothing special there, and if this is all the movie remains for you, more impressive movies can certainly be found. But even on a first viewing it should be obvious that there is another story being told that reaches down into the very foundations of western cultural traditions. You`d think reviewers born and raised in the west might notice this therefore. No such luck!
To mention all the symbolism, religious and cultural references contained in Sunshine is not easy; indeed I may not even have noticed them all. But from the basic allegory of the Sun as truth/God/creating force present in the Greek, Egyptian, Roman and Christian traditions, many of them are so evident I squirm with embarrassment on behalf of those who fail to notice even any of it.
The first is the ship in which they travel, named Icarus after the Greek mythological figure who flew too close to the Sun so his wings fell off. As with everything else this is not a literal event being retold, but an allegory regarding the force of truth/God and the futility of trying to become God. If the entire movie is viewed as an allegory of the search for truth, you could easily see that most reviewers would need very powerful sunglasses indeed. If this is correct though, the gatekeeper of truth is the movie`s nemesis, Penbacker, who seeks to destroy the Icarus and prevent the crew from reigniting the Sun, by killing them all. Like a Syrian pillar hermit he has spent seven years close to God (the Sun) and presumes to have understood the futility of denying the death of God (truth), and aggressively seeks to prevent anyone from reigniting the Sun/remaking God/finding truth.
The actual bomb is triggered from a cross-shaped scaffolding. The cross was traditionally a symbol of the rebirth of God, even before Christianity. Around this cross is a square, representing order. Logically then, as the bomb goes off and God (The Sun) is reborn on the Cross, the main character (Capo) transcends, is reborn as God and a new order begins.
This is why the ending to the movie is the way it is. Not to be weird but to tell an allegorical story about God/truth/rebirth. To the allegorical illiterates in this weird society this is all nonsense of course, and Sunshine is a bad movie because it`s not simple enough for them.

I could obviously talk more about all this, and it would be nice if at least one conversation about Sunshine would. Some people detest allegory and wouldn`t recognize a cultural symbol if it jumped up and gave them a haircut, which is perfectly fine. But it might be helpful if the people criticizing this splendid movie understood what an allegory is at least. Personally I firmly believe that certain things can`t be properly communicated without them, as my puny attempts to verbalize them here should illustrate, and I feel that movies with allegorical depth are the only ones that ever become classics. Much the same can be said of literature. And if it`s allegorical depth you want you can`t find a better movie than Sunshine. I defiantly vote 10!
DavidFeb 6, 2008
An absolute masterpiece in cinematography; excellent scene transitions, intense and emotion-ridden soundtrack, and the sheer magnitude of their mission is enough to put chills down your spine. For instance the scene where Capa makes his jump An absolute masterpiece in cinematography; excellent scene transitions, intense and emotion-ridden soundtrack, and the sheer magnitude of their mission is enough to put chills down your spine. For instance the scene where Capa makes his jump from the Icarus II to the payload is one of the most powerful scenes I have seen in any movie. Absolutely fantastic and the best movie I have ever seen. Period. Oh and to all of you 2 and 1 star-ers, consider this; if this movie didn't have the thriller aspect of the third act you would probably be here whining and complaining about the movie being too boring. Expand
2 of 4 users found this helpful
LolcanoFeb 5, 2012
Okay, first off, this movie won't be for everyone. Some people will find the ending far too ridiculous. Hell, many people will find the premise far too ridiculous. A lot of people will be turned off by the silly slasher element.

All that

All that aside it is a sci-fi movie that makes the most of what sci-fi has to offer: a vista of our solar system that will take your breath away and a claustrophobic environment that makes Alien look like a relaxing trip. Spectacular and truly memorable visuals. Shame that the film had so many holes.
STSJun 11, 2012
This is one of my favourite sci-fi films, though it can be hard to re-watch it after you know the story. It is a great example of a quiet and thoughtful science fiction film, moved by characters and some really solid acting. And in allThis is one of my favourite sci-fi films, though it can be hard to re-watch it after you know the story. It is a great example of a quiet and thoughtful science fiction film, moved by characters and some really solid acting. And in all honesty, I did NOT want to see it due to the initial premise. The sun going out, you say? Rubbish, I say. But once I sat down and actually watched it, I really really enjoyed it. I guess it's one of those sci-fi films where you have to just agree to not worry too much about the actual science. Just accept the initial premise and go from there. Incredibly heart-wrenching at times, this is a great film. Expand
ChadS.Aug 2, 2007
You'll be hard-pressed to recall a science-fiction film with better characterizations and casting than "Sunshine". Story-wise, this "Alien"-like homage is nothing to write home about, but the presence of Cillian Murphy(who shows more You'll be hard-pressed to recall a science-fiction film with better characterizations and casting than "Sunshine". Story-wise, this "Alien"-like homage is nothing to write home about, but the presence of Cillian Murphy(who shows more passion for a male crewmate than towards...), Rose Byrne(who seems on the verge of making a sexual advance towards Capa(Murphy) before the ship's alarm creates a orientational impasse), and Michelle Yeoh(who gets to play vulnerable instead of exhibiting steely resolve for a change, she gets weepy over a plant) makes the professional interactions of this Benneton space-nation more interesting than their actual mission, which enables this film to be thought of fondly as the thinking man's "Armageddeon". The filmmaker could've done a better job at setting up the film's pivotal suspenseful moment. This filmmaker isn't trying to make a cerebral film like "2001: A Space Odyessy, so it's incompetence, not transcendence that's achieved when the ship's menace is made relevant. There's no build-up. Still, the integrated cast is well-chosen and more importantly, organic. There isn't the whiff of tokenism you get from the "Harry Potter" films. Expand
1 of 3 users found this helpful
SilvioJ.Jan 13, 2008
Amazing movie from start to finish. Most people missed this masterpiece, I'm telling everyone I know.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
TheGreenBeastNov 30, 2014
This movie is just an amazing, very compelling and highly underrated Triumph! It has everything what a great movie needs. It is, exciting, thrilling, moving, visually outstanding, it plays with symbolism, asks and explores philosophical andThis movie is just an amazing, very compelling and highly underrated Triumph! It has everything what a great movie needs. It is, exciting, thrilling, moving, visually outstanding, it plays with symbolism, asks and explores philosophical and moral questions in a profound way and and and the work and effort they have put in that movie is remarkable. A Masterpiece to me! ... Can't believe how little it made in the box office ... Expand
darkokidSep 8, 2010
wonderful!!! i absolutely loved it! acting - WOW! story - WOW! soundtrack - double WOW! i just can't believe that so few people saw it. i recomed to everybody to see this wonderful picture..... really well done
jrocknycSep 3, 2007
Feels like "2001," except '2001" bored me to tears and this movie rocked.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
CharlesT.Feb 22, 2009
Reading other comments made me think that this would be a run of the mill the earth is screwed type of science fiction movie. I was wrong. There were of course some cliches that dragged the movie down but the stunning visual effects made me Reading other comments made me think that this would be a run of the mill the earth is screwed type of science fiction movie. I was wrong. There were of course some cliches that dragged the movie down but the stunning visual effects made me ignore that. This isn't a movie for someone who likes to sit dumbfaced in front of a screen and let's things be completely explained to them, it's more of a think-a-long movie. You do have to forgive the movie some of its tendencies to stray into the abstract but without those strays, it wouldn't be as special and meaningful. Overall this is a wonderful experience that deserves to be enjoyed. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
HalfwelshmanNov 25, 2011
Danny Boyle's Sunshine delivers on so many levels. Though it's about a team of astronauts and scientists trying to restart the sun, it's not really a sci-fi, not in essence. You've got the interstellar location and advanced technology of suchDanny Boyle's Sunshine delivers on so many levels. Though it's about a team of astronauts and scientists trying to restart the sun, it's not really a sci-fi, not in essence. You've got the interstellar location and advanced technology of such a genre, but Sunshine has far more in common with old seafaring adventure pictures (the highly claustrophobic surroundings and steadily building conflicts between the crew could have been lifted directly out of The Bounty). There's also a decent helping of psychological horror, which fits in nicely with the cramped, eerie locations of the film and the high stakes that are involved. At its heart, Sunshine addresses the very darkest elements of human nature - our quest for knowledge and our need to survive. The fact that Boyle can discuss such deep and complex issues in an engaging and accessible way is a true testament to him as a filmmaker. Alex Garland's writing is strong, Boyle's storytelling fluid, the effects rather beautiful and the actor's performances (particularly Cillian Murphy and Rose Byrne) solid. Where Sunshine falls slightly short is in its finale - while still decent enough in filmmaking terms, it loses a little focus and seems a bit too preoccupied with tying everything up quickly and neatly, when a more open ended and ambiguous ending might have been more powerful. Even so, you're unlikely to see another such thought-provoking sci-fi any time soon. Expand
ApocalypseGamerNov 5, 2011
A very dramatic sci-fi thriller that leads to a very planned out plot and an exciting setting. I think the performances in this film were a little So and So.
tarodnetJul 1, 2012
Good special effects. Good characters. Nice plot. But the end of the movie is bizarre. It's not a masterpiece, but anyway it is a good science-fiction movie. Possibly better than average.
gamerzxSep 21, 2012
Arguably the best sci movie of the last 20 years. If you cant handle that at the end of the movie the hero activates the payload inside the sun, its not for you. Partly horror, it still puts good movies like Armageddon, Deep impact and EventArguably the best sci movie of the last 20 years. If you cant handle that at the end of the movie the hero activates the payload inside the sun, its not for you. Partly horror, it still puts good movies like Armageddon, Deep impact and Event Horizon in another league. Expand
potatoes351Aug 13, 2012
Britain's best director Danny Boyle is back and this time with a interstellar epic. Dr Robert Capa is aboard the ship Icarus II along with several crew members sent to deliver a payload of universal proportions to the dying Sun, this payloadBritain's best director Danny Boyle is back and this time with a interstellar epic. Dr Robert Capa is aboard the ship Icarus II along with several crew members sent to deliver a payload of universal proportions to the dying Sun, this payload will hopefully re-ignite it and save the human race from a new Ice Age and inevitable extinction. However they soon realise how the Icarus I's mission to do the same job failed and find their own lives in danger as long as the rest of humanities. Mind blowing special effects, edge of your seat action and a touching story of isolation, friendship and teamwork. Sunshine is British film making at its best. Expand
NickFeb 6, 2008
Although many will see this epic idea for a movie as deeply flawed (myself included), especially with the addition of the random zombie near the end of the movie (oh yah, this is a Danny Boyle movie...), it tackles extensive depth into the Although many will see this epic idea for a movie as deeply flawed (myself included), especially with the addition of the random zombie near the end of the movie (oh yah, this is a Danny Boyle movie...), it tackles extensive depth into the vastness, lonliness, and beauty of the universe. A beautiful movie people will look back on favorably, even if they don't see it that way now. Expand
DaleC.Oct 8, 2007
One of my favorite sci-fi movies in recent years. Amazing effects, a very realistic description of what a manned interplanetary mission might look like, and a soundtrack that will floor you. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
AZJul 18, 2007
An intense thrill ride that never lets up.
AlexWJul 19, 2007
Sunshine's visuals and soundtrack are inarguably excellent, and the first two thirds are saturated with low-key tension and sub-textual drama, which is unremittingly exhausting. The bleak, alien hostility of space has rarely been Sunshine's visuals and soundtrack are inarguably excellent, and the first two thirds are saturated with low-key tension and sub-textual drama, which is unremittingly exhausting. The bleak, alien hostility of space has rarely been captured so well. Although the finale fails to capitalize on this properly, the visuals and music are powerful enough at this point that it simply doesn't matter. Derivative and loosely sketched, but memorable. Expand
RyanPJul 23, 2007
The unnerving task of completing such a mission in the vastness of space is what made this good! Danny Boyle has mastered another genre when you look at the characters interactions with one another. after all, that's what he wanted, an The unnerving task of completing such a mission in the vastness of space is what made this good! Danny Boyle has mastered another genre when you look at the characters interactions with one another. after all, that's what he wanted, an "Ensemble cast" Anyone who ever looks up at the stars and wonders about space and what's out there and what can happen will enjoy this film. Don't listen to those critics about the realism, even if it's not plausible it's still a highly entertaining movie! Expand
DJSJul 25, 2007
Great movie, on the level of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Great character development and lot of interesting ideas as far as the ship they travel on. Sure the science reigniting a star is blurry and it would take much much bigger mass that what Great movie, on the level of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Great character development and lot of interesting ideas as far as the ship they travel on. Sure the science reigniting a star is blurry and it would take much much bigger mass that what they have in the movie. One element which prevents me from scoring this movie as 10 is the fact they had to add that "slasher" scene near the end of the movie so that teen audience is satisfied... it ruins the movie a bit. Expand
[Anonymous]Jul 31, 2007
For the first 2/3 of the movie tension between the characters grows ever-more apparent as the immense pressure the crew is under breaks down their sanity one by one. Sadly at that point, just when it looks like things could boil over they For the first 2/3 of the movie tension between the characters grows ever-more apparent as the immense pressure the crew is under breaks down their sanity one by one. Sadly at that point, just when it looks like things could boil over they instead ignore the previous emotional pressure subsides to create am outside villan for the characters to combat. This was both a highly predicable move (I saw it coming...) and a rather poor one. I'm basically saying that the last portion of the movie completely misses out the on the strengths that made the first half so excellent. If they could've kept the intelligent emotional thriller going right up through the end it would've been one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen. Instead it ends up above average, a solid B for me, so I'd say that's an 8. Expand
AaronS.Aug 11, 2007
A very good film. Boyle takes bits from other classic SF films and meshes them together with his own ideas. The result is not the mess I had expected after reading a few mixed reviews. Rather, this is an intense even elegant film-not the A very good film. Boyle takes bits from other classic SF films and meshes them together with his own ideas. The result is not the mess I had expected after reading a few mixed reviews. Rather, this is an intense even elegant film-not the kind of picture you expect to find in the wastelands that is Summer film season. The first hour of the film is sensational-filled with breathtaking visuals, interesting concepts and ideas. And then in the latter part of the film, Boyle and his screenwriter Alex Garland pull out a left field plot twist that is jarring to say the least. While it takes a HUGE suspension of disbelief to swallow (mind you this is science fiction), I guess I'm in the camp that felt it didn't destroy the film. It just takes it to a different place than I had expected. The ending is chaotic-but so intense and involving I didn't mind the sharp turn into horror 'Sunshine' took. The final scenes are actually quite moving-no part due to the amazing soundtrack composed by Underworld. The less you know of the film, the more you'll enjoy it. And it really should be seen on a big screen to appreciate the visuals. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the beautifully eerie sound work on the film. It's as stunning as the visuals are. 'Sunshine' really looks like a more expensive film than it really is-Hollywood should take note on what you can do on a lesser budget. Great film-enjoyed the hell out of it. A complete surprise. Easily one of the better films in 2007. Oh and that '0' review "written" by J.K C - I'm mean really now. What is up with that. If you avoid this film because of those poorly written remarks then I don't know. Expand
WalterAug 2, 2007
Ignore the silly critics on here trying to snob-themselves above this film. Go and enjoy. It's a thriller, a sci-fi brainer, and has elements of horror in it as well. While, for some this causes some form of confusion during the movie, Ignore the silly critics on here trying to snob-themselves above this film. Go and enjoy. It's a thriller, a sci-fi brainer, and has elements of horror in it as well. While, for some this causes some form of confusion during the movie, for the rest of us, the visual power and pure energy are wonderful. Beautifully filmed and very cool...see it on a weeknight and TRY not to think about it afterward...I dare ya. Expand
RolandSAug 2, 2007
If you like science fiction, you'll enjoy this movie and forsake it's subtle flaws (I don't consider the 3rd act a flaw BTW) I hope there is a director's cut that is four hours long. Good use of the cognitive and social If you like science fiction, you'll enjoy this movie and forsake it's subtle flaws (I don't consider the 3rd act a flaw BTW) I hope there is a director's cut that is four hours long. Good use of the cognitive and social sciences, I felt my two years at community college finally paid off. Expand
Lao3DAug 20, 2007
Not as good as some comments here might lead you to believe, nor as bad, this film is ultimately a thoughtful and well-made sci-fi film, with large doses of suspense. If that sounds like your scene, you'll enjoy it. I found some of the Not as good as some comments here might lead you to believe, nor as bad, this film is ultimately a thoughtful and well-made sci-fi film, with large doses of suspense. If that sounds like your scene, you'll enjoy it. I found some of the action hard to follow, and some plot holes still have me scratching my head. But still, it's an interesting film and worthy of a big-screen viewing. Expand
SeanT.Aug 4, 2007
This movie is not nearly as cerebral as many viewers and critics have asserted. Having worried that the movie would be reminiscent of Solaris (Soderbergh)--plodding, pointless, hopelessly pretentious--I was very pleasantly surprised with This movie is not nearly as cerebral as many viewers and critics have asserted. Having worried that the movie would be reminiscent of Solaris (Soderbergh)--plodding, pointless, hopelessly pretentious--I was very pleasantly surprised with this bit of cinema. Sure, the cast is young; however, that does not detract from the overall visual style of the movie nor the plotting nor the characterization. The attractiveness of the cast apparently miffed the SF Chronicle reviewer, and his diatribe's logic reduces to the following: only an ugly actor is a good actor. An infuriating implication for anyone that has tried to be judged on the basis of anything other than their looks. It's hard to find science fiction that isn't simple-minded and violent or (conversely) pretentious and dull. Boyle has struck the right balance with this picture. Go see it!! Collapse
MarinaAug 7, 2007
Saw it FIVE times in two weeks! What is wrong with this world when so many people cannot decidedly sit and watch a film for the enjoyment of what is offered? It's certainly not boring! It's definitely not visually dark and dull. Saw it FIVE times in two weeks! What is wrong with this world when so many people cannot decidedly sit and watch a film for the enjoyment of what is offered? It's certainly not boring! It's definitely not visually dark and dull. Just sit and enjoy for the pure entertainment of it! That's why it is classified as fiction and not as a documentary. What is it? No cartoon characters? No male/female relationship problems, cheating, unwanted pergnancies, shoot 'em ups, car chases, sex, or other similarly bane plots? I really don't understand what some people think makes a good film. It was a two-fer: space and a monster! ENJOY the FUN! After all, it was Danny Boyle and Alex Garland! Expand
KevinH.Aug 8, 2007
Glorius visuals, worthwhile ethical debates and intelligent casting make Sunshine a worthwhile picture. The film almost makes it to the hallowed goal of a great sci-fi film. But then, a bit of left over plot line from 28 Days Later slips in. Glorius visuals, worthwhile ethical debates and intelligent casting make Sunshine a worthwhile picture. The film almost makes it to the hallowed goal of a great sci-fi film. But then, a bit of left over plot line from 28 Days Later slips in. Director Boyle is good enough to keep the energy of Sunshine moving along, holding our interest, but ultimately the course of the story is thrown as far off line as the course of the space ship Icarus II. Despite its problems including plot lapses that occurred to me afterwards, Sunshine rises well above most of the dreck that passes for sci-fi entertainment. Plot gaps that occurred to me after the movie include: With the change in course/goal of the mission it seems obvious that the chances for errors and unpredicted problems would be greatly increased, but none of the crew argued that point. If the computer can issue warnings for various events, why does it not issue a warning that the shields need to be realigned to protect the ship and its mission? Why is a major course change and its implications calculated, checked and impliemented by only one person, when in other scenes group-thinking is used effectively? Expand
FadiA.Sep 17, 2007
one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long time, great visual effects away from being glossy and polished, well performing cast, and unbelievable escalation of plot. I could not over look the Event Horizon influence, but who can one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long time, great visual effects away from being glossy and polished, well performing cast, and unbelievable escalation of plot. I could not over look the Event Horizon influence, but who can blame em, That was one hell of a movie. Expand
NickBJan 21, 2008
This is a movie that really started off great, of course the visuals are beautiful, and the acting is very believable. Boyle did a good job introducing the cast and just the over all look of the film was very creative. the intensity of the This is a movie that really started off great, of course the visuals are beautiful, and the acting is very believable. Boyle did a good job introducing the cast and just the over all look of the film was very creative. the intensity of the film was at a nice steady pace but for those of you who saw the film know that for some reason the plot started to branch off into lame and unnecessary directions that easily took this movie from sci-fi classic and brought it back down to earth to a disappointingly slightly above average sci-fi film. Expand
ScottS.Feb 13, 2008
Stunning visuals and a great story make a captivating viewing I just felt slight let down but the ending.
MatttMar 28, 2008
Fantastic movie. Visually stunning, Great acting (for the most part, I wish they didn't cast the human torch in a movie full of fire). Suspenseful and emotional. I would have received a 10, but the turn to slasher horror movie in the Fantastic movie. Visually stunning, Great acting (for the most part, I wish they didn't cast the human torch in a movie full of fire). Suspenseful and emotional. I would have received a 10, but the turn to slasher horror movie in the last part seemed very out of place and improbable. Expand
MattA.Apr 1, 2008
Overall a good movie. The Sci-Fi cinematography is second to none. A beautiful splendor for the eyes, which almost draws out an emotional connection in itself. THe story (while i admit is a bitch far fetched to the brink of unbelievability) Overall a good movie. The Sci-Fi cinematography is second to none. A beautiful splendor for the eyes, which almost draws out an emotional connection in itself. THe story (while i admit is a bitch far fetched to the brink of unbelievability) is entertaining none the less, if you are into the whole 2001: A Space oddysee thing. I admit, this movie is not for everyone, and i have respect for those who didn't like it. For me, however, it was more than what i expected. Expand
CoryGApr 18, 2008
Absolutely amazing. With the perfect soundtrack to boot!
HariS.Jul 16, 2007
Really good even though at times quite confusing.
samj.Jul 16, 2007
Certainly not for everyone, but die hard sci-fi fans will certainly be pleased.
JackBJul 23, 2007
Okay. So this movie is really enjoyable. However, there is one thing I must warn you about. Be prepared to suspend disbelief. Basically, the movie isn't that hard to follow if you're paying attention. If you're fascinated by Okay. So this movie is really enjoyable. However, there is one thing I must warn you about. Be prepared to suspend disbelief. Basically, the movie isn't that hard to follow if you're paying attention. If you're fascinated by space travel and science fiction you will enjoy this. Unfortunately, you need to know just a small bit of science to enjoy a lot of this movie. However, that is it's fatal flaw because if you know just a little bit you will know how ridiculous it is. It's glorious to look at, but you'll want to go home and watch alien. Then 2001. Expand
MarkMlJul 23, 2007
Such a great premise with an appealing cast and compelling production design, but the denouement left me cold. Way too many parallels in the final reel to the decidedly mediocre recent sci-fi flick "Event Horizon." Still, any movie dealing Such a great premise with an appealing cast and compelling production design, but the denouement left me cold. Way too many parallels in the final reel to the decidedly mediocre recent sci-fi flick "Event Horizon." Still, any movie dealing with a near-future spaceflight mission that has a psych counselor on the crew has something going for it. That touch alone shows that there was some thought put into making the basic setup a plausible one, even if it eventually rides off the rails a bit. Expand
BillySingerleJul 27, 2007
When Stanley Kubrick died in 1999, I thanked the movie Gods that it my lifetime I was witness to the entire career of the one true cinematic genius in the history of motion pictures. Today, after seeing Sunshine, I thank the movie Gods that When Stanley Kubrick died in 1999, I thanked the movie Gods that it my lifetime I was witness to the entire career of the one true cinematic genius in the history of motion pictures. Today, after seeing Sunshine, I thank the movie Gods that I am alive to witness the early career of the next cinematic genius! Danny Boyle is without a doubt, the new Stanley Kubrick. Sunshine is one of a handful of films that you can say "I left the theatre in AWE!" Theres no sense in trying to describe it because it is undescibable. It is simply a jaw-dropping trip into celluloid heaven and Danny Boyle, after Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Millions and now Sunshine, is my new cinema God! Expand
MarcelRamagnanoJul 27, 2007
This year's best film, by far. Really, just an amazing movie in general; fantastic story line and seriously incredible visuals. One of the best sci-fi movies in a LONG time. I think even people not very big on sci-fi would find it This year's best film, by far. Really, just an amazing movie in general; fantastic story line and seriously incredible visuals. One of the best sci-fi movies in a LONG time. I think even people not very big on sci-fi would find it incredibly enjoyable. A beautiful, stunning film. Expand
ThomasLJul 29, 2007
Sunshine is classic sci-fi filmmaking at its absolute best. It's been a while since I've seen a pure sci-fi film, esp. one that is set in space. The visuals of the sun and Icarus I & II spacecraft were mesmerizing. Excellent & Sunshine is classic sci-fi filmmaking at its absolute best. It's been a while since I've seen a pure sci-fi film, esp. one that is set in space. The visuals of the sun and Icarus I & II spacecraft were mesmerizing. Excellent & diverse cast, too. Expand
SSeverinJul 31, 2007
intense, fun, the cast is physically attractive, if you're able to silence the tiny voice of disbelief, you will have fun w/ this one
IanBAug 12, 2007
Wonderful Film. To those who complain about the homages to such greats in the genre as "Alien" "2001" "Event Horizon" "Solaris (not the George clooney one)" I think you are missing the point. The movie is wonderfully art directed and uses Wonderful Film. To those who complain about the homages to such greats in the genre as "Alien" "2001" "Event Horizon" "Solaris (not the George clooney one)" I think you are missing the point. The movie is wonderfully art directed and uses elements from those films and then pushes them further into a spiritual journey undertaken by the crew. P.S: Who knew Chris Evans could act? Brilliant. Expand
NickA.Aug 20, 2007
Reputable in his line of duty, British director Danny Boyle can
AlexCAug 6, 2007
Sunshine is an excellent, but flawed, movie. Boyle asks you to follow him as the film slides from sci-fi voyage to action-adventure to (very briefly) horror. Unlike some reviewers, I had no problem with this. The major flaw is in the last 20 Sunshine is an excellent, but flawed, movie. Boyle asks you to follow him as the film slides from sci-fi voyage to action-adventure to (very briefly) horror. Unlike some reviewers, I had no problem with this. The major flaw is in the last 20 minutes, when the flow of action becomes somewhat muddled (though stunningly shot). This is the rare movie that could stand to be 10 minutes longer; a few more short scenes would better situate the action at the end. Beautiful, thought-provoking, and tense. Expand
CamilS.Sep 11, 2007
Good, entertaining, haunting movie.
JoeyJan 11, 2008
While I can understand the reservations expressed by the above commentators (especially claims that it devolved in the last act; but I feel the same way about The Shining), I found this movie riveting. Further, claims about the movie's While I can understand the reservations expressed by the above commentators (especially claims that it devolved in the last act; but I feel the same way about The Shining), I found this movie riveting. Further, claims about the movie's "scientific absurdities" and "implausibilities" are, in my opinion, overstated. This is quality sci-fi and a must see for any fan. I must add that my wife fell asleep in the first half-hour, but she did the same in, well, all of my favorite western and sci-fi pics. Expand
LHJan 14, 2008
A fantastic, gorgeous film that has more in common with "2001" than most current (read: loud, flashy) sci-fi. By turns intense, moving, and scary, it packs a lot of ideas into a little over an hour and a half. Excellent.
PhilJan 21, 2008
I think a lot of people judge this film too harshly. It isn't perfect, but it is a decent entry into the sci-fi category.
helloyouJan 8, 2008
Dunno what some of these guys are talking about. It's a movie, so you can't base it completely in our reality. But even if you do, nothing is too absurd to believe in this movie. I really enjoyed this movie. I rented it with 3:10 Dunno what some of these guys are talking about. It's a movie, so you can't base it completely in our reality. But even if you do, nothing is too absurd to believe in this movie. I really enjoyed this movie. I rented it with 3:10 to Yuma and ended up watching both the same day and Sunshine sticks in my mind far more. The beautiful imagery alone is worth watching this movie. On top of that the cast was great all around, especially Cillain Murphy (as usual) and the guy from the Fanastic Four movies was suprising excellent (dunno his name atm). Both these guys really carried the movie for me. Once you think you have seen everything there is to see in the movie and think it may start to get a bit redundant it completely throws you a new angle a little more than halfway through. Some people have a problem with this...I don't know why...for me it was the best part of the entire movie. Expand
SamMay 11, 2008
Spoilers Why was the 'slahser flick' section 'shoehorned' in? Because the movie wouldn't have worked without it. We have Capa, a man who fears two things: the sun, and failure to deliver the payload. Then the oxygen Spoilers Why was the 'slahser flick' section 'shoehorned' in? Because the movie wouldn't have worked without it. We have Capa, a man who fears two things: the sun, and failure to deliver the payload. Then the oxygen garden is destroyed, leaving them with one option: go to the supposedly abandonned Icarus I. Since it becamse their only option, the possibilites on what happened over there are even more thought of and beyond terrifying. When they get there, nothing. They can't control the ship at all, but behold, we have Pinbacker, a man whose sole intentions are to protect what Capa fears and destroy what he needs to protect. Tell me, haters, how would you have ended it? Take away Pinbacker and you have no closure to what happened on Icarus I, which is a huge focus in the film. The movie could not have ended without Pinbacker. Without him, there is no final third. Without him, you take away one of the best things about what is possibly the best sci-fi film of the decade. Expand
KendoJMay 31, 2009
Very awesome movie. Gets a 9 for an excellent tragedy/triumph flick and a bonus mark for having the soundtrack of 2007.
equality7-2521Jul 21, 2007
Cinematic poetry. I think Danny Boyle is my fave filmmaker now. Really inspiring. I think the majority of American audiences want Transformers type sci fi and therefore will not fully appreciate this film. Like I care. So fortunate that we Cinematic poetry. I think Danny Boyle is my fave filmmaker now. Really inspiring. I think the majority of American audiences want Transformers type sci fi and therefore will not fully appreciate this film. Like I care. So fortunate that we can find gems like this released in mid-Summer. I heard the soundtrack will be released in September. Obviously, another great score from John Murphy. Expand
grantJul 23, 2007
Stunning imagery. Throwbacks to 2001, Dark Star, and other great sci fi flicks. A little far fetched at times. But overall, if thought the ending was stupid, confusing or weird, you've missed the not-so-subtle point. Danny Boyle Stunning imagery. Throwbacks to 2001, Dark Star, and other great sci fi flicks. A little far fetched at times. But overall, if thought the ending was stupid, confusing or weird, you've missed the not-so-subtle point. Danny Boyle directed an atheists' sci fi film. If you walk out of this film not thinking, maybe you should be watching something more cozzy, like Norbit. Expand
PaulKJul 26, 2007
Visually stunning and washed in brilliant memorizing orange, this movie is anything but light. The closer to the sun, the darker it gets...If you've seen the extended trailer, you won't be disappointed. But really, with Cillian Visually stunning and washed in brilliant memorizing orange, this movie is anything but light. The closer to the sun, the darker it gets...If you've seen the extended trailer, you won't be disappointed. But really, with Cillian Murphy in the lead and Danny Boyle at the helm, seeing this is a no brainer. See it on the big screen, if you can. Expand
codyspahrJul 28, 2007
not the greatest movie ever. but its been so long since ive seen a typical sci-fi flick, so i totaly enjoyed it. It doesnt bring anything new, but pulls off the basic space odyssey very well. danny boyle fans shouldnt be dissapointed. and not the greatest movie ever. but its been so long since ive seen a typical sci-fi flick, so i totaly enjoyed it. It doesnt bring anything new, but pulls off the basic space odyssey very well. danny boyle fans shouldnt be dissapointed. and come on, 0 out of 10, i cant even take that stuff seriously. no taste, just hating it for the sake of hating it. Expand
D.B.Jul 28, 2007
I must stake claim that Sunshine is the best Science fiction film of the last 20 years. It's simply magnificent. The story borders on the metaphysical as it leads the viewer on a spellbinding journey into the mind. I must commend Danny I must stake claim that Sunshine is the best Science fiction film of the last 20 years. It's simply magnificent. The story borders on the metaphysical as it leads the viewer on a spellbinding journey into the mind. I must commend Danny Boyle on his bravery in tackling such a risk taking venture into space. With a budget of 45 million, please tell me who else could have made such a masterpiece. It's just a reflection of the talent and genius of this great director. Films like this just don't get made anymore, where you don't need a special effects extravaganza to reach for some element of quality. Don Expand
SteveCJul 29, 2007
Its seems that all the reviewers who don't like this film have taken issue with the realism of the piece. Suspension of disbelief is necessary to enjoy any type of non-fiction, especially sci-fi. Aside from the awkward "horror movie" Its seems that all the reviewers who don't like this film have taken issue with the realism of the piece. Suspension of disbelief is necessary to enjoy any type of non-fiction, especially sci-fi. Aside from the awkward "horror movie" ending, the film is actually really good. Expand
LalitDAug 12, 2007
Brilliant, Majestic, Beautiful. Sunshine is a movie with edge of your seat suspense every minute. Realistic Visual Effects, Focused Acting, Superb Directing, all topped off with a imaginative plotline, after watching the movie you will be Brilliant, Majestic, Beautiful. Sunshine is a movie with edge of your seat suspense every minute. Realistic Visual Effects, Focused Acting, Superb Directing, all topped off with a imaginative plotline, after watching the movie you will be thinking and having a reaction of awe as you leave the theatre. A true Science Fiction classic. Expand
AntonK.Aug 25, 2007
Thrilling. Amazing script. Perfect visuals. The crew are faced with constant life and death dilemmas. Fantastic cast and performances.
AlexanderMJan 18, 2008
This is a wonderful move; one of my all-time favorites. My initial interest was in the sci-fi aspect of the movie, but after the 'rising action' starts it becomes a lot more than a typical "save-the-world-in-a-spaceship" and forces This is a wonderful move; one of my all-time favorites. My initial interest was in the sci-fi aspect of the movie, but after the 'rising action' starts it becomes a lot more than a typical "save-the-world-in-a-spaceship" and forces you to think a lot about life, mortality and human purpose. A lot of the ideas are just beneath the surface. If you can shrug-off some of the insensibilities, suspend your disbelief and enter with an open mind, you might find a new movie to add to your favorites. If you just can't get past all the little imperfections, you're in for a rough ride. I loved this movie -- an instant favorite for me. Expand
SteveJan 21, 2008
I was a little skeptical at first, but this turned out to be a terrific movie. Very interesting story and nicely produced.
ERG1008Sep 13, 2010
Space crew go off to save the Earth by dropping a a bomb into the Sun to re-ignite it.
Chutzpah & nonsense happen during the mission.
Chutzpah & nonsense happen during the mission.
The first 3 quarters of the film are fine with the usual space mission going well & then not so well. It's the last quarter where it sort of runs out of steam & ideas.
MalasawasNov 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie... I loved it since I came out in Theaters. So I'll try to be as objective as I can. My review has a critical goal this time: to let the people who doesn't know it that this movie was a really outstanding space science fiction film, while it was so underrated and not even popular. The strongest points in this film: the atmosphere of the space isolated people far away from having communication with other people, that made me feel so immersed in this ''kind of'' claustrophobia thing. The OST music, all of the tracks, mixed with spectacular scenes, I mean from one side the scenes were so good, not forced in any time, in the other side the music fitted perfectly in each scene. The characters are all good and essential, all of then have an objective for being there. I liked all this stuff. Plus: it reaches your heart, makes you feel, as I said, immersed in the desperation, the rush, the claustrophobia, the anger, the sadness, the greatness of the space! Those are the good points. I also mentioned I was going to (or trying) be objective. These are my ''bad''. All the Pinbacker plot... I liked the Icarus I thing, all was good until they appeared to be some sort of entity, non human, he didn't die at full sun brightness, he had no skin... he was strongest than anyone else, while I've seen the rest fight and stop just because of ''losing oxygen'' he was in his full capacities. That was pretty unreal. Adding that effect of blurring him... they tried to make him a ''monster'' for a horror B movie. I didn't like it, not because is a bad plot... because is was hard to believe, even for a scify movie. Also... maybe strange decisions in the directing: the faces of the Icarus I members all around... and I don't get it. My guess: they wanted to be somehow creepy, to scare... but they lose their target there. Is this a Scify or a Horror movie? They had a lot of thing to be ''suspense'', the isolated people idea, the mystery of the space, the Icarus I atmosphere, no needed for a ''bad guy'' or a ''monster'' or ''floating faces''. I love this movie, those things don't make me change my mind, but they are mistakes that prevented this movie to be an (maybe) Oscar winning film. Expand
JAM123Oct 22, 2011
I thought this movie was actually a fantastic movie. A bit confusing but I thought it was really interesting how they made it and filmed it. It has a great cast and good director. A lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was a coolI thought this movie was actually a fantastic movie. A bit confusing but I thought it was really interesting how they made it and filmed it. It has a great cast and good director. A lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was a cool mix of drama, sci-fi, and even it was a little bit creepy. A lot of twists and turns really added to the great storyline. I thought it was a lot like Alien. It had a lot of the same characteristics. I thought this was a fantastic movie and highly recommend it. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
While there were a few stylistic choices I didn't really favor, "Sunshine" still proves itself as a clever, thrilling and even morally thought-provoking sci-fi.
python2000Jan 12, 2014
Unique and underrated director Danny Boyle follows up one of my favourite movies of all time 28 Days Later (also starring Cillian Murphy) with this intelligent yet exciting science fiction movie, reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey andUnique and underrated director Danny Boyle follows up one of my favourite movies of all time 28 Days Later (also starring Cillian Murphy) with this intelligent yet exciting science fiction movie, reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey and probably behind some of the inspiration for Alfonso Cuaron's more recent Gravity. When the Earth's sun begins to die a spaceship named Icarus II follows after the previous missions ship Icarus I which failed to relight the sun. Just by reading that plot summary you can tell this isn't a brainless sci - fi action movie featuring lots and lots of big flashy explosions About two thirds of the way in it loses some of it's cleverness and morphs into a strange science fiction horror which reminded me of the absolute disaster Jason X. But I still found it interesting and the last 5 minutes sort of redeemed that, John Murphy's powerful score, Cillian Murphy's brilliant acting and Danny Boyle's genius direction and writing makes it near perfect. Probably the most underrated final scene of all time, how come everyone remembers Seven but no one remembers Sunshine. Definitely worth watching, not quite as exciting as 28 Days Later, but full of clever twists and deep interesting characters which help the movie keep your attention even if in some places it loses it's intelligence. Expand
LaGuertaApr 29, 2014
The problem with 'Sunshine' is that it strays from it's initial, promising stride into a lazy effort to entertain. Storytelling and integrity take a back seat when slasher elements are inappropriately injected. In the end, it becomesThe problem with 'Sunshine' is that it strays from it's initial, promising stride into a lazy effort to entertain. Storytelling and integrity take a back seat when slasher elements are inappropriately injected. In the end, it becomes frustrating to watch, particularly due to the strength of direction, writing and acting. Expand
chilledbeeApr 28, 2016
Great visuals. Odd story considering everything is global warming these days. Good music. Well done movie by Danny Boyle. The special effects are breathtaking. Cast works well together, no stragglers.
NGeoApr 20, 2013
This movie althought some will argue that it wasnt "realistic" or it had some "blurry" scenes was actually beautiful and if you know what you expect to see its even better. Most people who said it wasnt that good were expecting to see sex &This movie althought some will argue that it wasnt "realistic" or it had some "blurry" scenes was actually beautiful and if you know what you expect to see its even better. Most people who said it wasnt that good were expecting to see sex & the city or borat or i dont know what else was on their mind. For the script-scenario of this film it was perfect. IF people dont like this movie and just write a mindless review awarding 0 in this movie then they have no clue. If that movie gets negative reviews IMAGINE what scores should 99.999% of the rest trash movies that they throw us on our face every day... Event horizon, moon, sunshine are almost equally good but the later is kinda on top. Expand
DuckNationJun 8, 2014
Only dream I ever have... is it the surface of the sun? Everytime I shut my eyes... it's always the same.

Sunshine is such a beautiful but it saddens me that it missed its opportunity from being a great film to an amazing film. Seeing that i watched Danny Boyle's newest movie "Trance" just last month i thought id give this another watch because i had only seen it once before so i figured id give a proper review for it rather then the horrible one i had before. It took me awhile to finally get around to watching this movie and by then i had pretty much known most of the cast by seeing them in previous movies. Cillian Murphy leads the film and does an amazing performance, then we have Chris Evans, Cliff Curtis, Rose Byrne, Michelle Yeoh, Hiroyuki Sanada, Mark Strong and a few others and all of them do solid performances well other then Mark Strong because i absolutely hated his role as the horror part in the film.

The film follows a group of scientist and astronauts on a spaceship named the "Icarus II". headed to reignite our dying sun by launching a massive bomb into it. Now the first 45 minutes of this film was simply beautiful with many gorgeous scenes reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey but after that the film turns into a bit of a mix bag for me. On there way to the sun they hear a distress signal they soon find out that its the "Icarus I" so they weigh out their options to see if they should attempt to recover the other bomb and while some don't think its a good idea the final decision is up to Capa(Murphy) and he chooses that they should recover it. While on there way to the Icarus I something happens to the ship resulting in the death of one team member and making the trip to the other ship a must. Once they get on the ship they figure out what happen to the other team and from here the movie turns from being a beautiful sci-fi film to a sci-fi horror which honestly ruined the whole vibe of the film for me.

To make things worse was the horrible screen distortion the film had every time Mark Strong was in it and after the fifth time of seeing shaky, blurry scenes i could only shake my head as we have to sit through another 10-15 scenes of the same shaky, blurry crap. What is a saving grace about the second half of the movie is that it has great acting mostly by Cillian Murphy who does a phenomenal job and the few beautiful scenes they had like in the first half. The film had such penitential but it decides to throw away its awe inspiring first act for a subpar and rather underwhelming second act. The special effects were top notch and they display that by showing you mesmerizing shots of planets as they past by them and the sun and the last scene with Capa which was spectacular also the score by John Murphy was simply perfect maybe one of the best all time at least for me.

Overall i give it a 8.0 It just sucks this film had to have horror in it because other then that this would for sure be in my top ten favorite sci-fi films.
Fabricionet232May 17, 2015
I' want to start this review by saying that you must not trust the critics in this one, Sunshine it's an amazing movie, you should know that.
The direction is astonishing, visually the movie it's perfect, filled with symbolism and eye-popping images. The acting it's also very good, especially the performances of Cilian Murphy and Chris Evans, who are playing the main characters.
The music it's really a highlight of this movie, filled with incredible melodies like "Adagio in D Minor", you are bound to like the soundtrack.
If you like sci-fi movies, i recommend it.
mcusrFeb 9, 2015
Danny Boyle's films always sound great. He listens to music and has definitely been hanging out where the experimental music gets played, possibly on a certain site that shall remain nameless that is still free for citizens of his country,Danny Boyle's films always sound great. He listens to music and has definitely been hanging out where the experimental music gets played, possibly on a certain site that shall remain nameless that is still free for citizens of his country, while most of the rest of the world got shunted over the paywall. Anyway he employs superb sound design including music/foley/ambience/everything. Sunshine's is the best of the three I've seen. To me all are collectible.
So I'm already hooked and love the film to bits whatever happens. Also really enjoy the juddery, schlocky editing. And the lean, impactful script. And Rose Byrne reading grocery lists if someone would commit that to film.
OK, the physics got preposterous and the baddie was boring, but the themes of love and sacrifice, courage in the face of death, reason vs superstition, leadership, democracy and justice, hope and action vs madness and entropy were compelling.
A few suggestions:
Colonel Kurtze, for example, was a more magnetic villain by dint of ponderous, inertial epicenter of horror stillness. Our villain here tended to rant histrionically, which might cause some viewers to glaze over.
Cillian safe millimetres from a wall of fission/sun fire and dipping his fingertips in leaped balletically over the shark, trailing tinsel and sequins. Perhaps a better shot might have had him suspended weightless in a twinkling constellation of scintillations in the payload, merging with its 'beauty' as he saw it.
But this director isn't much into restraint, so it's all told in superlatives. I'm OK with that. There was so much to love in this film that its few flaws are wholeheartedly forgiven.
Consider every shot of the ships- spectacularly beautiful-, the protection and the impediment presented by the pressure suits, the powerful physicality of the travails of the characters as they strive to survive and deliver.
Bring it on please. This and much much more of it, wondrous sci fi.
MovieMasterEddyApr 3, 2016
On a Mission to Replace the Sun, Fighting Demons From Inner Space.

On a Mission to Replace the Sun, Fighting Demons From Inner Space.

This is the end, Danny Boyle sings in his spooky and spookily beautiful science-fiction thriller, “Sunshine.” Mr. Boyle, the sly-boots British director of movies as seemingly different as “Trainspotting” and “Millions,” has a knack for turning dire setups and very bad things into visually arresting, tingly experiences, whether his characters are doing one another in by hook or by crook or through some robust chomping, as in his exemplary zombie flick, “28 Days Later.” The end may be nigh in “Sunshine” — the Sun is dying, as is, alas, poor Earth — but Mr. Boyle is having a grand old time.

Old is an operative word here. Like a lot of science fiction, “Sunshine” owes as much of a debt to the past as to the speculative future, including some of the usual suspects, notably Stanley Kubrick’s classic head-scratcher, “2001: A Space Odyssey,” with flashy bits and pieces borrowed from “Alien” and “Blade Runner,” Ridley Scott’s back-to-back masterworks. Like the globe-trotters in Olaf Stapledon’s 1930 science-fiction novel, “Last and First Men,” who jump planets to keep the race going, humankind in “Sunshine” has been forced to extremes to survive the Sun’s collapse. The latest extreme is a manned spaceship with a nuclear payload that, when dropped on the dying star, will trigger a big bang to thaw our global freezing.

That’s the bright idea, or at least the most vivid one, in “Sunshine,” which also flirts with questions about scientific progress, ethics and the limits of rationality. For the young, overly pretty crew of white and Asian astronauts, the mission initially entails watching monitors, twiddling dials and counting miles. There are hints of discord, as when a fight breaks out between two crewmen, the pacific Capa (Cillian Murphy) and the macho Mace (Chris Evans), a tussle wearily described by one of the ship’s two women, Cassie (Rose Byrne), as “an excess of manliness.” More alarmingly, the resident shrink, Searle (Cliff Curtis), has developed a fondness for staring into the Sun, bathing in its increasingly dangerous light.

As the hubristically named ship, Icarus II, races toward its fiery destination, the crew picks up an eerie distress beacon beeping from someplace out in the great black beyond. In the face of this unsettling unknown, the captain, Kaneda (Hiroyuki Sanada), keeps his cool, while the streamlined crew — including Michelle Yeoh as Corazon, Benedict Wong as Trey and Troy Garity as Harvey — more or less keeps it together. But, like the Icarus of myth, these all-too-human voyagers who make like gods also risk punishment. Alarms sound, nerves shred, light flares, hope dims, and at one point and without much surprise, life ebbs, pooling picturesquely over the immaculate production design.

A first-rate, seemingly sweat-free entertainer, Mr. Boyle always sells the goods smoothly, along with the chills, the laughs and, somewhat less often, the tears. He’s wickedly good at making you jump and squirm in your seat, which he does often in “Sunshine,” but he tends to avoid tapping into deep wells of emotion. With the exception of “Millions,” about a motherless boy, Mr. Boyle’s movies are more likely to make you whimper than choke up or feel deeply. That’s to be expected because keeping the audience amused and distracted comes a little too easily to him. Like Steven Soderbergh, another cool, crafty dissembler, Mr. Boyle is awfully clever, which can be a great strength as well as a weakness.

In “Sunshine,” that cleverness is most evident in the fluid orchestration of the brisk editing, the prowling camerawork and unnerving sound design. As the ship moves closer to the Sun, and people and things begin to fall apart, Mr. Doyle and his screenwriter, Alex Garland, goose their science fiction with action- and horror-genre beats, increasingly turning up the chills and thrills.

Less effectively, they also introduce a disappointing philosophical bogeyman. This creature enters late in the game with some blather that recalls, though with less poetry, some words of the replicant played by Rutger Hauer in “Blade Runner,” who offers the agonizing admission, “I’ve done questionable things.” (Kind of says it all, doesn’t it?) Mostly, though, the bogeyman just goes, “Boo!” If “Sunshine” plays out more like a viscerally pleasurable diversion than an intellectually stimulating head trip, it’s largely because Mr. Boyle tends to lean on familiar genre stratagems and his estimable technique rather than risk anything by going too far out and freaky.

What’s most interesting about “Sunshine” isn’t whether the crew members survive but that they’re willing to blow themselves up for their beliefs.
slickserpent99Aug 15, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sunshine delivers amazing performances, emotional and existential plot points, and a pulse-pounding journey towards our dying sun. The amount of suspense in this movie is unmatched, and that is a great thing. It makes you want to keep watching, and you should keep watching. Even the ending, which many cited as being ridiculous and unnecessarily off-topic from the rest of the movie, I think serves as compelling and captivating turn of events, where you are still left hanging in suspense. The visual effects are above-par compared to most modern movies, and the soundtrack is perfect. Mystery, hardship, death, and the terrifying void of space are present throughout the entire film, which kept me hooked. Any fan of science fiction films or even films set in space needs to experience Sunshine, in all it's radiant glory. Expand