Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: July 20, 2007
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 296 Ratings
WATCH NOW
shiftworkerNov 30, 2016
Sci-fi. A heroic crew ride a giant bomb needed to restart the dying sun, following an earlier failed mission. They're under pressure, events happen, tensions rise. Chris Evans adds testosterone to the geeky mix. The pace jerks around betweenSci-fi. A heroic crew ride a giant bomb needed to restart the dying sun, following an earlier failed mission. They're under pressure, events happen, tensions rise. Chris Evans adds testosterone to the geeky mix. The pace jerks around between slow-longing-looks-into-space and almost-action-movie, but I kept watching to an inevitable ending. Expand
slickserpent99Aug 15, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sunshine delivers amazing performances, emotional and existential plot points, and a pulse-pounding journey towards our dying sun. The amount of suspense in this movie is unmatched, and that is a great thing. It makes you want to keep watching, and you should keep watching. Even the ending, which many cited as being ridiculous and unnecessarily off-topic from the rest of the movie, I think serves as compelling and captivating turn of events, where you are still left hanging in suspense. The visual effects are above-par compared to most modern movies, and the soundtrack is perfect. Mystery, hardship, death, and the terrifying void of space are present throughout the entire film, which kept me hooked. Any fan of science fiction films or even films set in space needs to experience Sunshine, in all it's radiant glory. Expand
chilledbeeApr 28, 2016
Great visuals. Odd story considering everything is global warming these days. Good music. Well done movie by Danny Boyle. The special effects are breathtaking. Cast works well together, no stragglers.
MovieMasterEddyApr 3, 2016
On a Mission to Replace the Sun, Fighting Demons From Inner Space.

On a Mission to Replace the Sun, Fighting Demons From Inner Space.

This is the end, Danny Boyle sings in his spooky and spookily beautiful science-fiction thriller, “Sunshine.” Mr. Boyle, the sly-boots British director of movies as seemingly different as “Trainspotting” and “Millions,” has a knack for turning dire setups and very bad things into visually arresting, tingly experiences, whether his characters are doing one another in by hook or by crook or through some robust chomping, as in his exemplary zombie flick, “28 Days Later.” The end may be nigh in “Sunshine” — the Sun is dying, as is, alas, poor Earth — but Mr. Boyle is having a grand old time.

Old is an operative word here. Like a lot of science fiction, “Sunshine” owes as much of a debt to the past as to the speculative future, including some of the usual suspects, notably Stanley Kubrick’s classic head-scratcher, “2001: A Space Odyssey,” with flashy bits and pieces borrowed from “Alien” and “Blade Runner,” Ridley Scott’s back-to-back masterworks. Like the globe-trotters in Olaf Stapledon’s 1930 science-fiction novel, “Last and First Men,” who jump planets to keep the race going, humankind in “Sunshine” has been forced to extremes to survive the Sun’s collapse. The latest extreme is a manned spaceship with a nuclear payload that, when dropped on the dying star, will trigger a big bang to thaw our global freezing.

That’s the bright idea, or at least the most vivid one, in “Sunshine,” which also flirts with questions about scientific progress, ethics and the limits of rationality. For the young, overly pretty crew of white and Asian astronauts, the mission initially entails watching monitors, twiddling dials and counting miles. There are hints of discord, as when a fight breaks out between two crewmen, the pacific Capa (Cillian Murphy) and the macho Mace (Chris Evans), a tussle wearily described by one of the ship’s two women, Cassie (Rose Byrne), as “an excess of manliness.” More alarmingly, the resident shrink, Searle (Cliff Curtis), has developed a fondness for staring into the Sun, bathing in its increasingly dangerous light.

As the hubristically named ship, Icarus II, races toward its fiery destination, the crew picks up an eerie distress beacon beeping from someplace out in the great black beyond. In the face of this unsettling unknown, the captain, Kaneda (Hiroyuki Sanada), keeps his cool, while the streamlined crew — including Michelle Yeoh as Corazon, Benedict Wong as Trey and Troy Garity as Harvey — more or less keeps it together. But, like the Icarus of myth, these all-too-human voyagers who make like gods also risk punishment. Alarms sound, nerves shred, light flares, hope dims, and at one point and without much surprise, life ebbs, pooling picturesquely over the immaculate production design.

A first-rate, seemingly sweat-free entertainer, Mr. Boyle always sells the goods smoothly, along with the chills, the laughs and, somewhat less often, the tears. He’s wickedly good at making you jump and squirm in your seat, which he does often in “Sunshine,” but he tends to avoid tapping into deep wells of emotion. With the exception of “Millions,” about a motherless boy, Mr. Boyle’s movies are more likely to make you whimper than choke up or feel deeply. That’s to be expected because keeping the audience amused and distracted comes a little too easily to him. Like Steven Soderbergh, another cool, crafty dissembler, Mr. Boyle is awfully clever, which can be a great strength as well as a weakness.

In “Sunshine,” that cleverness is most evident in the fluid orchestration of the brisk editing, the prowling camerawork and unnerving sound design. As the ship moves closer to the Sun, and people and things begin to fall apart, Mr. Doyle and his screenwriter, Alex Garland, goose their science fiction with action- and horror-genre beats, increasingly turning up the chills and thrills.

Less effectively, they also introduce a disappointing philosophical bogeyman. This creature enters late in the game with some blather that recalls, though with less poetry, some words of the replicant played by Rutger Hauer in “Blade Runner,” who offers the agonizing admission, “I’ve done questionable things.” (Kind of says it all, doesn’t it?) Mostly, though, the bogeyman just goes, “Boo!” If “Sunshine” plays out more like a viscerally pleasurable diversion than an intellectually stimulating head trip, it’s largely because Mr. Boyle tends to lean on familiar genre stratagems and his estimable technique rather than risk anything by going too far out and freaky.

What’s most interesting about “Sunshine” isn’t whether the crew members survive but that they’re willing to blow themselves up for their beliefs.
marc5477Jan 29, 2016
Lots of claustrophobic moments are forced on the audience... if you are buggered by such a thing, then ok, but for others it was just a waste of time. The movie is ok at best, but the use of symbolism is eye rolling. It would have been fineLots of claustrophobic moments are forced on the audience... if you are buggered by such a thing, then ok, but for others it was just a waste of time. The movie is ok at best, but the use of symbolism is eye rolling. It would have been fine without the need to make it seem mysterious or "deep." It isnt deep. Its formulaic and if you have seen other movies that force symbolism down your throat, this will present nothing new. Icarus... lol. God and life/death... lol. Maybe if I was still in high school all this would have been interesting but im not in my mid teens anymore.

The story is about revitalizing the dying sun; a topic covered many times in the past, and the acting was good as was the adventure except in the times where they dragged it out too long. I felt that the movie would have been better served as an action flick rather than a psychological thriller but that is just me and it might be because I have already seen this topic several times in the past. The movie was doing fine when it was reasonable but at once point it turns to spirituality and takes a nose dive. No longer was it about the science of the mission, but rather it became about ego's and personal beliefs and some supernatural dude who love getting a blistering tan (a la Freddy Krueger). Watch it if you have nothing else to watch... avoid if you see something else that interests you.
MeritCobaNov 20, 2015
(I have introduced my own voting system. A 1 for bleh, a 5 for meh and a 9 for wow, leaving a 0 for the odd ones out and a 10 for freaking awesome.This one gets a meh, with a star for the first half of the movie).

To be foretold is to be

To be foretold is to be forewarned I guess, and thus, having read some reviews and seen some clips on youtube, I found myself unable to watch the last part of this movie. It is the part where the story starts to slide downhill. This feature is a rocket blasting into space with a magnificent breathtaking fiery halo, just to falter halfway up, sizzle out and flap to the ground.

The beginning dishes you with amazing scenes of the sun in its death throes , the scorched surface of mercury and the peaceful quietness of space. The story is slow to develop and it has the feel of 2001: A Space Odyssey, especially in the way the voice of the computer talks.

The actors are fine. The acting is fine. The music is great. The camera handling is okay. The story might have a lame premise(really, kick-starting the sun with a bomb as if it is and engine that just needs the twist of a key to get going again?) but they do not dwell too much on it and seem to focus more on the interaction between the nine people that form the crew on their sixteen month voyage. It works until it gets all undone at the end.. It is like someone writes a story and then when you turn the next page it ends saying: and then they all died.

Obvious this is not one movie, but a movie made from two parts of two movies with two scripts. The first is from a science fiction movie and the second from a lame horror story. The writer probably couldn't think of a way to wrap up the story in a profound or spectacular manner and therefore went for the jugular with cheap shocks. And misses the mark profoundly.

I can understand the plight of the script writer who has a great idea, creates a fine setup, writes some good dialog, but ultimately bungles the end. It is just terrible hard work to write a nice story apparently. I struggle with it myself, not that I presume to be a writer of any expertise, but I like to write stories or rather I like to write scenes. But scenes need to be connected and be part of a process that has a start and a finish and an in between part that makes the one connect with the other in a fluent way. This movie has a lot going for it, but ultimately doesn't make that connection and therefore fails as a story. A pity really.
Fabricionet232May 17, 2015
I' want to start this review by saying that you must not trust the critics in this one, Sunshine it's an amazing movie, you should know that.
The direction is astonishing, visually the movie it's perfect, filled with symbolism and eye-popping images. The acting it's also very good, especially the performances of Cilian Murphy and Chris Evans, who are playing the main characters.
The music it's really a highlight of this movie, filled with incredible melodies like "Adagio in D Minor", you are bound to like the soundtrack.
If you like sci-fi movies, i recommend it.
SpangleMar 3, 2015
Sunshine is a film that borrows heavily from the science fiction films that came before it, namely "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Solaris", and "Alien", but does not quite reach the heights of those films. Instead of sticking with its scienceSunshine is a film that borrows heavily from the science fiction films that came before it, namely "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Solaris", and "Alien", but does not quite reach the heights of those films. Instead of sticking with its science fiction premise, it opts to go all slasher movie and weird on us towards the end, which is ultimately what turned me off significantly from this one. Beginning with the positives, the world created here is super intriguing and very interesting. You get the problem facing this crew and as things progress or regress on their journey, you feel excited or feel bad for them. That is very important for these types of films. In addition, the special effects are splendid and the acting from the entire, very large, cast is great. Everybody did a superb job there. The direction from Danny Boyle is alright, nothing to write home about, but I do blame him a good bit for the way this one falls apart at the end. It is a movie about people traveling to the sun, so some suspension of disbelief is required, but the ending was far too much for me. Without going off the deep end there and then using that weirdness to turn this one in a low-key slasher film, this one would have been way better. On top of that, the ending significantly dragged. The preceding, say, hour and 10 minutes were absolutely riveting and had you invested in the characters, while also forcing you to the edge of your seat on multiple occasions. By the time that last half hour kicks in, you just want it to be over. However, I will say, the absolute end of this one saves the preceding half hour by being very moving and leaving the viewer on the brink of tears. Thus, it saddens me even more that, towards the end, this one burned up in the sun or else it could have been far better. It had the pieces, but what it did with those pieces was not to my liking. Expand
mcusrFeb 9, 2015
Danny Boyle's films always sound great. He listens to music and has definitely been hanging out where the experimental music gets played, possibly on a certain site that shall remain nameless that is still free for citizens of his country,Danny Boyle's films always sound great. He listens to music and has definitely been hanging out where the experimental music gets played, possibly on a certain site that shall remain nameless that is still free for citizens of his country, while most of the rest of the world got shunted over the paywall. Anyway he employs superb sound design including music/foley/ambience/everything. Sunshine's is the best of the three I've seen. To me all are collectible.
So I'm already hooked and love the film to bits whatever happens. Also really enjoy the juddery, schlocky editing. And the lean, impactful script. And Rose Byrne reading grocery lists if someone would commit that to film.
OK, the physics got preposterous and the baddie was boring, but the themes of love and sacrifice, courage in the face of death, reason vs superstition, leadership, democracy and justice, hope and action vs madness and entropy were compelling.
A few suggestions:
Colonel Kurtze, for example, was a more magnetic villain by dint of ponderous, inertial epicenter of horror stillness. Our villain here tended to rant histrionically, which might cause some viewers to glaze over.
Cillian safe millimetres from a wall of fission/sun fire and dipping his fingertips in leaped balletically over the shark, trailing tinsel and sequins. Perhaps a better shot might have had him suspended weightless in a twinkling constellation of scintillations in the payload, merging with its 'beauty' as he saw it.
But this director isn't much into restraint, so it's all told in superlatives. I'm OK with that. There was so much to love in this film that its few flaws are wholeheartedly forgiven.
Consider every shot of the ships- spectacularly beautiful-, the protection and the impediment presented by the pressure suits, the powerful physicality of the travails of the characters as they strive to survive and deliver.
Bring it on please. This and much much more of it, wondrous sci fi.
sanyrubJan 25, 2015
Very intriguing film that for some reason has gone under the radar. The visuals a strong, it has a great atmosphere, the idea is fascinating and you really get involved in the events and story. It even has horror elements (although those seemVery intriguing film that for some reason has gone under the radar. The visuals a strong, it has a great atmosphere, the idea is fascinating and you really get involved in the events and story. It even has horror elements (although those seem to be the ones some people have issues with). Great sci-fi experience with good performances and thrilling moments. See it! Expand
TheGreenBeastNov 30, 2014
This movie is just an amazing, very compelling and highly underrated Triumph! It has everything what a great movie needs. It is, exciting, thrilling, moving, visually outstanding, it plays with symbolism, asks and explores philosophical andThis movie is just an amazing, very compelling and highly underrated Triumph! It has everything what a great movie needs. It is, exciting, thrilling, moving, visually outstanding, it plays with symbolism, asks and explores philosophical and moral questions in a profound way and and and the work and effort they have put in that movie is remarkable. A Masterpiece to me! ... Can't believe how little it made in the box office ... Expand
Jeebus117Nov 21, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the movie starts out OK, the second half is utter garbage. A completely unnecessary slasher scene dominates the 3rd act, and immediately changes the tempo and tone of the film. Some poor editing choices make it almost unbearable to watch.

And their fake science was pretty poor. The zombie captain has super strength, because he's crazy? His flesh is literally falling off, but he can pick up the main protagonist with one hand? The only hazard to going outside in space, without a suit, is some minor frostbite? A garden that sits unchecked for 7 years becomes a jungle, without anyone producing CO2 to sustain it?

The cast is solid. The visuals are solid. The second half seems tacked on, and forced.
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
Between Danny Boyle's obscure direction and the countless missed opportunities, Sunshine fails to hype up to its initial potential. Even Alex Garland's script takes a drastic turn into the "slasher" genre.
DuckNationJun 8, 2014
Only dream I ever have... is it the surface of the sun? Everytime I shut my eyes... it's always the same.

Sunshine is such a beautiful but it saddens me that it missed its opportunity from being a great film to an amazing film. Seeing that i watched Danny Boyle's newest movie "Trance" just last month i thought id give this another watch because i had only seen it once before so i figured id give a proper review for it rather then the horrible one i had before. It took me awhile to finally get around to watching this movie and by then i had pretty much known most of the cast by seeing them in previous movies. Cillian Murphy leads the film and does an amazing performance, then we have Chris Evans, Cliff Curtis, Rose Byrne, Michelle Yeoh, Hiroyuki Sanada, Mark Strong and a few others and all of them do solid performances well other then Mark Strong because i absolutely hated his role as the horror part in the film.

The film follows a group of scientist and astronauts on a spaceship named the "Icarus II". headed to reignite our dying sun by launching a massive bomb into it. Now the first 45 minutes of this film was simply beautiful with many gorgeous scenes reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey but after that the film turns into a bit of a mix bag for me. On there way to the sun they hear a distress signal they soon find out that its the "Icarus I" so they weigh out their options to see if they should attempt to recover the other bomb and while some don't think its a good idea the final decision is up to Capa(Murphy) and he chooses that they should recover it. While on there way to the Icarus I something happens to the ship resulting in the death of one team member and making the trip to the other ship a must. Once they get on the ship they figure out what happen to the other team and from here the movie turns from being a beautiful sci-fi film to a sci-fi horror which honestly ruined the whole vibe of the film for me.

To make things worse was the horrible screen distortion the film had every time Mark Strong was in it and after the fifth time of seeing shaky, blurry scenes i could only shake my head as we have to sit through another 10-15 scenes of the same shaky, blurry crap. What is a saving grace about the second half of the movie is that it has great acting mostly by Cillian Murphy who does a phenomenal job and the few beautiful scenes they had like in the first half. The film had such penitential but it decides to throw away its awe inspiring first act for a subpar and rather underwhelming second act. The special effects were top notch and they display that by showing you mesmerizing shots of planets as they past by them and the sun and the last scene with Capa which was spectacular also the score by John Murphy was simply perfect maybe one of the best all time at least for me.

Overall i give it a 8.0 It just sucks this film had to have horror in it because other then that this would for sure be in my top ten favorite sci-fi films.
LaGuertaApr 29, 2014
The problem with 'Sunshine' is that it strays from it's initial, promising stride into a lazy effort to entertain. Storytelling and integrity take a back seat when slasher elements are inappropriately injected. In the end, it becomesThe problem with 'Sunshine' is that it strays from it's initial, promising stride into a lazy effort to entertain. Storytelling and integrity take a back seat when slasher elements are inappropriately injected. In the end, it becomes frustrating to watch, particularly due to the strength of direction, writing and acting. Expand
MichMartApr 6, 2014
Sunshine has a very intense atmosphere and the most unimaginable travel I've ever seen! The combination of beautiful pictures and a damn good soundtrack makes this movie for me unforgettable.

The characters are good constructed in the

The characters are good constructed in the first act and then they will even change during the movie. I have to admit this movie isn't for everyone: It has a deep philosophical aspect and little action. But I'm really happy there's finally again a movie, which doesn't have stereotypical heroes like in Armageddon!

Many people complain about the third act, but I think it matches to the movie, because think about the problems, which ALL the characters had to solve! This movie gets better every time I rewatch it and everything (also the third act) gets clearer. I rarely experience this. Yes, it's not completely realistic, but it's a science-FICTION-movie, so it doesn't really bother me.
gromenawerJan 23, 2014
Bad film with very bad writing. Boyle said to got inspiration from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Alien. Against all odds, not a single piece of talent is to be found here. The film relays on an over dramatic crew to create a forceBad film with very bad writing. Boyle said to got inspiration from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Alien. Against all odds, not a single piece of talent is to be found here. The film relays on an over dramatic crew to create a force atmosphere; and stupid choices to make 1 hour of extra film. The script is just awful and predictable. Cillian Murphy is the cherry on the top of the turd; I don't want to see his face again, I don't want to hear him again.

The film have few good thing. It starts is fantastic and an example. And it could have being a great movie. But you can stop watching after 30 minutes; just about the time in which a PhD in maths make a booboo and forgot to carry one. That is the smaller plot hole you will see from that point on.
python2000Jan 12, 2014
Unique and underrated director Danny Boyle follows up one of my favourite movies of all time 28 Days Later (also starring Cillian Murphy) with this intelligent yet exciting science fiction movie, reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey andUnique and underrated director Danny Boyle follows up one of my favourite movies of all time 28 Days Later (also starring Cillian Murphy) with this intelligent yet exciting science fiction movie, reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey and probably behind some of the inspiration for Alfonso Cuaron's more recent Gravity. When the Earth's sun begins to die a spaceship named Icarus II follows after the previous missions ship Icarus I which failed to relight the sun. Just by reading that plot summary you can tell this isn't a brainless sci - fi action movie featuring lots and lots of big flashy explosions About two thirds of the way in it loses some of it's cleverness and morphs into a strange science fiction horror which reminded me of the absolute disaster Jason X. But I still found it interesting and the last 5 minutes sort of redeemed that, John Murphy's powerful score, Cillian Murphy's brilliant acting and Danny Boyle's genius direction and writing makes it near perfect. Probably the most underrated final scene of all time, how come everyone remembers Seven but no one remembers Sunshine. Definitely worth watching, not quite as exciting as 28 Days Later, but full of clever twists and deep interesting characters which help the movie keep your attention even if in some places it loses it's intelligence. Expand
MalasawasNov 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie... I loved it since I came out in Theaters. So I'll try to be as objective as I can. My review has a critical goal this time: to let the people who doesn't know it that this movie was a really outstanding space science fiction film, while it was so underrated and not even popular. The strongest points in this film: the atmosphere of the space isolated people far away from having communication with other people, that made me feel so immersed in this ''kind of'' claustrophobia thing. The OST music, all of the tracks, mixed with spectacular scenes, I mean from one side the scenes were so good, not forced in any time, in the other side the music fitted perfectly in each scene. The characters are all good and essential, all of then have an objective for being there. I liked all this stuff. Plus: it reaches your heart, makes you feel, as I said, immersed in the desperation, the rush, the claustrophobia, the anger, the sadness, the greatness of the space! Those are the good points. I also mentioned I was going to (or trying) be objective. These are my ''bad''. All the Pinbacker plot... I liked the Icarus I thing, all was good until they appeared to be some sort of entity, non human, he didn't die at full sun brightness, he had no skin... he was strongest than anyone else, while I've seen the rest fight and stop just because of ''losing oxygen'' he was in his full capacities. That was pretty unreal. Adding that effect of blurring him... they tried to make him a ''monster'' for a horror B movie. I didn't like it, not because is a bad plot... because is was hard to believe, even for a scify movie. Also... maybe strange decisions in the directing: the faces of the Icarus I members all around... and I don't get it. My guess: they wanted to be somehow creepy, to scare... but they lose their target there. Is this a Scify or a Horror movie? They had a lot of thing to be ''suspense'', the isolated people idea, the mystery of the space, the Icarus I atmosphere, no needed for a ''bad guy'' or a ''monster'' or ''floating faces''. I love this movie, those things don't make me change my mind, but they are mistakes that prevented this movie to be an (maybe) Oscar winning film. Expand
hevatinSep 28, 2013
Good acting, good special effects, solid dialogue, good cinematography....... no character arc and bad story.

Through the first and second acts I started to get the feeling that rather than a story, what I was watching was a string of technical mishaps which the characters need to get out of. I didn't get the feeling that there was any character in the movie who was changing in any way or learning anything but that I can live with.

I can't live with a bad story.

The third act is ridiculous with the addition of a character that makes no sense whatsoever and there was no setup for.

If you are a big Sci Fi fan, who can live with flaws as long as you get some decent special effects and passable story, you'll probably be fine with this movie.

If you are someone who is more particular about story without regard for genre you are going to be iffy on this one, trust me.

Overall not bad but it ain't Boyle's best, that's for sure.
sloppyjoesSep 8, 2013
starts off extremely strong but ends up trailing off and becoming somewhat weak. It's still a decent film but I wish the ending was improved a little. It's still worth watching however.
SkulbMay 1, 2013
Spoiler alert!
Spoiler alert!
Reading reviews of Sunshine is a profoundly depressing experience, and reminds me that western culture is in its last death throes. Every single archetype, symbolism and cultural alliteration swushes as completely and utterly over the heads of reviewers as a Star Trek spaceship, before they proceed to complain about narratives they don`t understand because of illiteracy and an ending they understand even less for the same reason.
On a first viewing, Sunshine is a visually impressive, if claustrophobic story of a group of scientists on their way to reignite the Sun with the largest nuclear bomb in NATO history. Nothing special there, and if this is all the movie remains for you, more impressive movies can certainly be found. But even on a first viewing it should be obvious that there is another story being told that reaches down into the very foundations of western cultural traditions. You`d think reviewers born and raised in the west might notice this therefore. No such luck!
To mention all the symbolism, religious and cultural references contained in Sunshine is not easy; indeed I may not even have noticed them all. But from the basic allegory of the Sun as truth/God/creating force present in the Greek, Egyptian, Roman and Christian traditions, many of them are so evident I squirm with embarrassment on behalf of those who fail to notice even any of it.
The first is the ship in which they travel, named Icarus after the Greek mythological figure who flew too close to the Sun so his wings fell off. As with everything else this is not a literal event being retold, but an allegory regarding the force of truth/God and the futility of trying to become God. If the entire movie is viewed as an allegory of the search for truth, you could easily see that most reviewers would need very powerful sunglasses indeed. If this is correct though, the gatekeeper of truth is the movie`s nemesis, Penbacker, who seeks to destroy the Icarus and prevent the crew from reigniting the Sun, by killing them all. Like a Syrian pillar hermit he has spent seven years close to God (the Sun) and presumes to have understood the futility of denying the death of God (truth), and aggressively seeks to prevent anyone from reigniting the Sun/remaking God/finding truth.
The actual bomb is triggered from a cross-shaped scaffolding. The cross was traditionally a symbol of the rebirth of God, even before Christianity. Around this cross is a square, representing order. Logically then, as the bomb goes off and God (The Sun) is reborn on the Cross, the main character (Capo) transcends, is reborn as God and a new order begins.
This is why the ending to the movie is the way it is. Not to be weird but to tell an allegorical story about God/truth/rebirth. To the allegorical illiterates in this weird society this is all nonsense of course, and Sunshine is a bad movie because it`s not simple enough for them.

I could obviously talk more about all this, and it would be nice if at least one conversation about Sunshine would. Some people detest allegory and wouldn`t recognize a cultural symbol if it jumped up and gave them a haircut, which is perfectly fine. But it might be helpful if the people criticizing this splendid movie understood what an allegory is at least. Personally I firmly believe that certain things can`t be properly communicated without them, as my puny attempts to verbalize them here should illustrate, and I feel that movies with allegorical depth are the only ones that ever become classics. Much the same can be said of literature. And if it`s allegorical depth you want you can`t find a better movie than Sunshine. I defiantly vote 10!
NGeoApr 20, 2013
This movie althought some will argue that it wasnt "realistic" or it had some "blurry" scenes was actually beautiful and if you know what you expect to see its even better. Most people who said it wasnt that good were expecting to see sex &This movie althought some will argue that it wasnt "realistic" or it had some "blurry" scenes was actually beautiful and if you know what you expect to see its even better. Most people who said it wasnt that good were expecting to see sex & the city or borat or i dont know what else was on their mind. For the script-scenario of this film it was perfect. IF people dont like this movie and just write a mindless review awarding 0 in this movie then they have no clue. If that movie gets negative reviews IMAGINE what scores should 99.999% of the rest trash movies that they throw us on our face every day... Event horizon, moon, sunshine are almost equally good but the later is kinda on top. Expand
Rox22Mar 28, 2013
It is atmospheric and the characters are doing a very good job with the script they were given. Visuals are also top notch, most of the time. However, it's sooooooooo damn boring. I've been to uni lectures on geology more exciting than this.It is atmospheric and the characters are doing a very good job with the script they were given. Visuals are also top notch, most of the time. However, it's sooooooooo damn boring. I've been to uni lectures on geology more exciting than this. This movie is a beautiful dead corpse laying on the directors table. You can see he's trying to revive it with occasional jolts of life. But they pass and the corpse remains. Lifeless and empty. Overall: Sunlight is a movie that look brilliant on page and is best left in written form. It is an utterly boring movie that can not be saved. Expand
oliver1hFeb 9, 2013
This review contains spoilers. Could have been good, if halfway through the movie it would not turn from science fiction to horror/supernatural. Started really good, the scenery was beautiful, the actors were good. The problems started when the "Sun is god" plot was introduced. They board the derelict ship that was sent to the Sun years ago, but failed to accomplish it's mission. It turns out that captain of the other ship is still alive and became some kind of burned monster and servant to Sun. The "creature" start to kill of the ships crew one-by-one, because Sun does not want the crew to restart it's rotation. Yeah this is where thing get rather silly and illogical. The movie from that point is nothing more than a cat and mouse chase movie between the "burned Sun servant" and the crew of the second ship. I did not like that when the "Sun servant" I don't know how to call it) was shown the camera became shaky and blurred. It was rather distracting, like the director did not know how to approach this part of the movie. The ending end everything else from that point is rather predictable. Overall an average horror movie. Collapse
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
While there were a few stylistic choices I didn't really favor, "Sunshine" still proves itself as a clever, thrilling and even morally thought-provoking sci-fi.
BR4NDONcecNov 11, 2012
The movie was ok but it was nothing spectacular, sure it has a good soundtrack and good visuals .etc. But the story itself is pretty weak. And some characters jump into the movie you have never seen before.
gamerzxSep 21, 2012
Arguably the best sci movie of the last 20 years. If you cant handle that at the end of the movie the hero activates the payload inside the sun, its not for you. Partly horror, it still puts good movies like Armageddon, Deep impact and EventArguably the best sci movie of the last 20 years. If you cant handle that at the end of the movie the hero activates the payload inside the sun, its not for you. Partly horror, it still puts good movies like Armageddon, Deep impact and Event Horizon in another league. Expand
potatoes351Aug 13, 2012
Britain's best director Danny Boyle is back and this time with a interstellar epic. Dr Robert Capa is aboard the ship Icarus II along with several crew members sent to deliver a payload of universal proportions to the dying Sun, this payloadBritain's best director Danny Boyle is back and this time with a interstellar epic. Dr Robert Capa is aboard the ship Icarus II along with several crew members sent to deliver a payload of universal proportions to the dying Sun, this payload will hopefully re-ignite it and save the human race from a new Ice Age and inevitable extinction. However they soon realise how the Icarus I's mission to do the same job failed and find their own lives in danger as long as the rest of humanities. Mind blowing special effects, edge of your seat action and a touching story of isolation, friendship and teamwork. Sunshine is British film making at its best. Expand
rotkuJul 30, 2012
Interesting movie along the lines of Alien for a claustrophobic feeling aboard a spaceship although without the uniqueness (or alien) reasonably well acted but unfortunately it descends into predictability about half way through and seems toInteresting movie along the lines of Alien for a claustrophobic feeling aboard a spaceship although without the uniqueness (or alien) reasonably well acted but unfortunately it descends into predictability about half way through and seems to run out of ideas. Expand
AlienSpaceBatsJul 15, 2012
Interesting to begin with, but gets idiotic very quickly. Boyle can cite 2001, Solaris and Alien as influences all he wants but Sunshine is essentially a nicer looking Event: Horizon or Supernova. All three Follow the same tropes ofInteresting to begin with, but gets idiotic very quickly. Boyle can cite 2001, Solaris and Alien as influences all he wants but Sunshine is essentially a nicer looking Event: Horizon or Supernova. All three Follow the same tropes of big-studio SF "space" thriller; 20 minutes in, **** hits the fan, ship breaks down, maniac comes aboard, crew gets killed one by one, lone survivor overcomes odds, film ends on bittersweet note or cliffhanger. The music was nice though, and the golden space-suits looked pretty cool, that's about the only positive thing I have to say about the film. Expand
tarodnetJul 1, 2012
Good special effects. Good characters. Nice plot. But the end of the movie is bizarre. It's not a masterpiece, but anyway it is a good science-fiction movie. Possibly better than average.
STSJun 11, 2012
This is one of my favourite sci-fi films, though it can be hard to re-watch it after you know the story. It is a great example of a quiet and thoughtful science fiction film, moved by characters and some really solid acting. And in allThis is one of my favourite sci-fi films, though it can be hard to re-watch it after you know the story. It is a great example of a quiet and thoughtful science fiction film, moved by characters and some really solid acting. And in all honesty, I did NOT want to see it due to the initial premise. The sun going out, you say? Rubbish, I say. But once I sat down and actually watched it, I really really enjoyed it. I guess it's one of those sci-fi films where you have to just agree to not worry too much about the actual science. Just accept the initial premise and go from there. Incredibly heart-wrenching at times, this is a great film. Expand
CorwinMar 1, 2012
Wonderful soundtrack and great visuals. The movie would be a lot worse if it wasn't for the soundtrack. Do not watch it expecting a hard SF movie or any scientific accuracy. It's all about the characters and the atmosphere.
HidekiNaraFeb 11, 2012
Danny Boyle is a master of visuals, Sunshine is a sci-fi movie with some of the greatest visual shots contained. Despite the film being a thriller and horror of sorts, with the main theme here being the human fear of death. The film is quiet,Danny Boyle is a master of visuals, Sunshine is a sci-fi movie with some of the greatest visual shots contained. Despite the film being a thriller and horror of sorts, with the main theme here being the human fear of death. The film is quiet, it doesn't scream its presence and doesn't attempt to truly make you scared, in fact it is. An enjoyable and relaxing melodrama. It takes its time and puts you at ease with the inevitable death and destruction that will occur in the film. Every moment stopping to show you that despite being on a dark metal ship, the characters are in a beautiful place. There's a limit to what you can see, the sun, a spaceship and, space. Yet Boyle manages to create hundreds of magnificent shots that are fresh, incredible and breath-taking. But we can't just judge on the visuals. The cast are truly magnificent, Chris Evans, Mark Strong and Cillian Murphy being on top form. the acting works along with the visuals and creates this atmosphere of tension and relaxation at the same time, it's bizarre but, absolutely incredible. Expand
eTurkeyFeb 10, 2012
A mixed-race ensemble cast are featured in Danny Boyle's science fiction film Sunshine. Basically this movie follows the lives of eight astronauts as they work their way towards a combined goal of reigniting the dying sun with a bomb the sizeA mixed-race ensemble cast are featured in Danny Boyle's science fiction film Sunshine. Basically this movie follows the lives of eight astronauts as they work their way towards a combined goal of reigniting the dying sun with a bomb the size of Manhattan Island. If you enjoy psychological mayhem regardless of genre then this feature might be for you but I warn you now that this flick offers little in character development or their personal backstory before the trip. However, the music and score are glowing in appearance! Expand
LolcanoFeb 5, 2012
Okay, first off, this movie won't be for everyone. Some people will find the ending far too ridiculous. Hell, many people will find the premise far too ridiculous. A lot of people will be turned off by the silly slasher element.

All that

All that aside it is a sci-fi movie that makes the most of what sci-fi has to offer: a vista of our solar system that will take your breath away and a claustrophobic environment that makes Alien look like a relaxing trip. Spectacular and truly memorable visuals. Shame that the film had so many holes.
jredekopDec 30, 2011
All in all, it's not very good. The movie really doesn't present anything new to the genre and seems very recycled. Like most of the other reviewers, I felt the last half hour almost dragged the whole movie from an okay to a horrible. Much ofAll in all, it's not very good. The movie really doesn't present anything new to the genre and seems very recycled. Like most of the other reviewers, I felt the last half hour almost dragged the whole movie from an okay to a horrible. Much of the movie felt like it was filled with some pretty unnecessary events, but the whole last half hour was filled with them. The whole slasher part of the plot was ridiculous, even more so because he was only in it for about twenty minutes of the films hour forty-five. And, of course, it just has to end with a "you have to release the bomb manually" ending. The movie does have a pretty good soundtrack and admittedly stunning visuals. The shots of the sun and spacecraft really did look real. But all in all, there's nothing you're missing here that you couldn't watching in dozens of other sci-fi movies. Expand
AdanedhelNov 25, 2011
Its outstanding the work it has been done here.
Boyles creative mind to set us in a ficcional but real struggle of humans extinction is incredible.
Its outstanding the work it has been done here.
I love the scenes of the planets, the stars, the worlds... the OST is pretty cool and do what it must.

I´ve watched like ten times and i love it every time
HalfwelshmanNov 25, 2011
Danny Boyle's Sunshine delivers on so many levels. Though it's about a team of astronauts and scientists trying to restart the sun, it's not really a sci-fi, not in essence. You've got the interstellar location and advanced technology of suchDanny Boyle's Sunshine delivers on so many levels. Though it's about a team of astronauts and scientists trying to restart the sun, it's not really a sci-fi, not in essence. You've got the interstellar location and advanced technology of such a genre, but Sunshine has far more in common with old seafaring adventure pictures (the highly claustrophobic surroundings and steadily building conflicts between the crew could have been lifted directly out of The Bounty). There's also a decent helping of psychological horror, which fits in nicely with the cramped, eerie locations of the film and the high stakes that are involved. At its heart, Sunshine addresses the very darkest elements of human nature - our quest for knowledge and our need to survive. The fact that Boyle can discuss such deep and complex issues in an engaging and accessible way is a true testament to him as a filmmaker. Alex Garland's writing is strong, Boyle's storytelling fluid, the effects rather beautiful and the actor's performances (particularly Cillian Murphy and Rose Byrne) solid. Where Sunshine falls slightly short is in its finale - while still decent enough in filmmaking terms, it loses a little focus and seems a bit too preoccupied with tying everything up quickly and neatly, when a more open ended and ambiguous ending might have been more powerful. Even so, you're unlikely to see another such thought-provoking sci-fi any time soon. Expand
ApocalypseGamerNov 5, 2011
A very dramatic sci-fi thriller that leads to a very planned out plot and an exciting setting. I think the performances in this film were a little So and So.
JAM123Oct 22, 2011
I thought this movie was actually a fantastic movie. A bit confusing but I thought it was really interesting how they made it and filmed it. It has a great cast and good director. A lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was a coolI thought this movie was actually a fantastic movie. A bit confusing but I thought it was really interesting how they made it and filmed it. It has a great cast and good director. A lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was a cool mix of drama, sci-fi, and even it was a little bit creepy. A lot of twists and turns really added to the great storyline. I thought it was a lot like Alien. It had a lot of the same characteristics. I thought this was a fantastic movie and highly recommend it. Expand
Delta_AssaultSep 28, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sunshine is 2/3rds of a great film. But that third act is such a ruinous mistake that it taints the entire experience.

I mean, for the first two acts, Sunshine's basically a master class in how to create a brilliant scifi film. There's this loneliness and tension and a methodical, measured tone that really works to pull you into the film. It's obviously very referential of 2001, but without the mindnumbing pace and lack of characterization of Kubrick's film. It just fires on all cylinders in this beautifully conceived scifi environment. Plus, John Murphy's soundtrack is absolutely mesmerizing. "Adagio in D Minor" is a particular standout and his career achievement to date. Some of the events in the film do feel familiar, but that wasn't a bad thing. They felt like nice little tips of the hat to the giants of the genre. For example, the dilemma about running out of oxygen and having to kill a member of the crew to cut down on consumption felt like a very obvious callback to Tom Godwin's classic scifi short story "The Cold Equations." You know, the one about a girl secretly stowing aboard a small spacecraft with one pilot that's delivering life-saving drugs to a colony. Unfortunately, there's only enough fuel for the weight of the pilot and the drugs aboard, and the girl's added weight means the ship is going to run out of fuel and crash on the planet, killing both of them. So the only solution is to jettison this poor girl out the airlock. It's a very similar situation in the film, but that didn't bother me at all. If you're going to take influences, might as well take them from the best.

And then the third act twist occurs, and it all just goes right to hell. I dunno what Danny Boyle and his scriptwriter were thinking, but man, that uh... that last act and what happens was just such a course change, and an unneeded one for me, that it completely stopped the movie. You're just staring at the screen wondering why, why, why. Why would they drop the ball like this? The whole tone and tenor of the piece just veered off in this rather ridiculous and unbelievable direction. I felt cheated, to be honest. It didn't make sense and didn't seem to be what the first two acts had been about. The twist is that the captain of the first Icarus is alive and he's basically a monster out of a slasher film. He's somehow been living on the other ship getting a suntan for all these years and now he's on the Icarus 2 murdering people and possessing superhuman strength even though he's covered all over with horrible burns. Also, he appears as this blurry, vibrating, fluctuating mess on camera which makes no sense. I guess Danny Boyle wanted it to create some sort of effect or to suggest that perhaps he's just a hallucination, but it just looked irritating to my eyes. Of course, you've gotta wonder how he even became Captain of the Icarus, you'd think NASA or whoever would check for mental instability when picking the crew for THE MOST IMPORTANT MANNED SPACE MISSION OF ALL TIME.

It's tough, because you really want to recommend this somewhat unknown scifi film to friends (it only made around 3 million at the box office IIRC) but that last act is a blunder that just sinks the whole thing. Can I really recommend 2/3rds of a film to someone? That's what I'd like to do.
grandpajoe6191Sep 25, 2011
I got what I expected from Sunshine; a profound SF masterpiece that doesn't contain all those unnecessary dialogue and stupid characters. Though Danny Boyle was foolish to put a zombie into the movie, nevertheless its one of the year's best films.
wiggipopJul 30, 2011
Incredibly tense, human thriller with it's share of eye-opening moments. Brilliantly acted, beautifully shot and with a killer soundtrack but let down slightly by it's B-movie twist in the final act.
moviegrabbagJun 12, 2011
I really thought that this movie was going to be incredibly stupid, but when it was al said and done it wasn't half bad. In a sci-fi movie that you would think would be chalk full of crazy special effects that not really what you get. YouI really thought that this movie was going to be incredibly stupid, but when it was al said and done it wasn't half bad. In a sci-fi movie that you would think would be chalk full of crazy special effects that not really what you get. You actually get a movie with some very solid acting that was actually very well written. The ending of the movie does get a little confusing and the ending is exactly what you think its going to be but its a fun ride. If you ever get the chance to catch the movie then do. Expand
nohoboboOct 17, 2010
I liked almost everything about this movie - the characters are realistic, the conflicts among the crew are believable and interesting, the action and pace of the film is intense and engrossing, and the special effects look fantastic. II liked almost everything about this movie - the characters are realistic, the conflicts among the crew are believable and interesting, the action and pace of the film is intense and engrossing, and the special effects look fantastic. I really have no idea why they decided to throw a supernatural "monster" in at the end, it definitely broke the spell for me. Fortunately there are enough positives in this movie to compensate for the one big negative. Expand
ERG1008Sep 13, 2010
Space crew go off to save the Earth by dropping a a bomb into the Sun to re-ignite it.
Chutzpah & nonsense happen during the mission.
Chutzpah & nonsense happen during the mission.
The first 3 quarters of the film are fine with the usual space mission going well & then not so well. It's the last quarter where it sort of runs out of steam & ideas.
darkokidSep 8, 2010
wonderful!!! i absolutely loved it! acting - WOW! story - WOW! soundtrack - double WOW! i just can't believe that so few people saw it. i recomed to everybody to see this wonderful picture..... really well done
KendoJMay 31, 2009
Very awesome movie. Gets a 9 for an excellent tragedy/triumph flick and a bonus mark for having the soundtrack of 2007.
KyleFMar 15, 2009
It was okay. If you're looking for a well explained, believable movie don't look at this one. If you want some psuedo emotional stuff, this is your ticket.
CharlesT.Feb 22, 2009
Reading other comments made me think that this would be a run of the mill the earth is screwed type of science fiction movie. I was wrong. There were of course some cliches that dragged the movie down but the stunning visual effects made me Reading other comments made me think that this would be a run of the mill the earth is screwed type of science fiction movie. I was wrong. There were of course some cliches that dragged the movie down but the stunning visual effects made me ignore that. This isn't a movie for someone who likes to sit dumbfaced in front of a screen and let's things be completely explained to them, it's more of a think-a-long movie. You do have to forgive the movie some of its tendencies to stray into the abstract but without those strays, it wouldn't be as special and meaningful. Overall this is a wonderful experience that deserves to be enjoyed. Expand
noopOct 23, 2008
Very, very crappy movie. Complete nonsense.
RaoulOct 4, 2008
I liked it, until the horror part came and I actually didn't feel leek bothering to watch the end. I turned it off. So I'd like to reply to Sam, who asked: "How would you have ended it?" My answer would be this: I'd prefer it I liked it, until the horror part came and I actually didn't feel leek bothering to watch the end. I turned it off. So I'd like to reply to Sam, who asked: "How would you have ended it?" My answer would be this: I'd prefer it without an end, over what they decided upon. Anything, but that. Let them succeed, fail, no matter, but keep that sense of intelligence intact, whether it lives or dies. Expand
ArthurC.Jun 23, 2008
Pretty much garbage throughout, the science especially. The 3rd act confirms its stupidity.
SamMay 11, 2008
Spoilers Why was the 'slahser flick' section 'shoehorned' in? Because the movie wouldn't have worked without it. We have Capa, a man who fears two things: the sun, and failure to deliver the payload. Then the oxygen Spoilers Why was the 'slahser flick' section 'shoehorned' in? Because the movie wouldn't have worked without it. We have Capa, a man who fears two things: the sun, and failure to deliver the payload. Then the oxygen garden is destroyed, leaving them with one option: go to the supposedly abandonned Icarus I. Since it becamse their only option, the possibilites on what happened over there are even more thought of and beyond terrifying. When they get there, nothing. They can't control the ship at all, but behold, we have Pinbacker, a man whose sole intentions are to protect what Capa fears and destroy what he needs to protect. Tell me, haters, how would you have ended it? Take away Pinbacker and you have no closure to what happened on Icarus I, which is a huge focus in the film. The movie could not have ended without Pinbacker. Without him, there is no final third. Without him, you take away one of the best things about what is possibly the best sci-fi film of the decade. Expand
RHApr 25, 2008
You have got to be kidding! I can't believe this movie got such high scores! It is one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen... a total jumble... little character development, and an implausible, incomprehensible story line. You have got to be kidding! I can't believe this movie got such high scores! It is one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen... a total jumble... little character development, and an implausible, incomprehensible story line. The sound quality was so poor I had a hard time hearing a lot of the dialogue Maybe if I saw it in a theater instead of on DVD it would be some better, but I doubt it. Expand
CoryGApr 18, 2008
Absolutely amazing. With the perfect soundtrack to boot!
MattA.Apr 1, 2008
Overall a good movie. The Sci-Fi cinematography is second to none. A beautiful splendor for the eyes, which almost draws out an emotional connection in itself. THe story (while i admit is a bitch far fetched to the brink of unbelievability) Overall a good movie. The Sci-Fi cinematography is second to none. A beautiful splendor for the eyes, which almost draws out an emotional connection in itself. THe story (while i admit is a bitch far fetched to the brink of unbelievability) is entertaining none the less, if you are into the whole 2001: A Space oddysee thing. I admit, this movie is not for everyone, and i have respect for those who didn't like it. For me, however, it was more than what i expected. Expand
MatttMar 28, 2008
Fantastic movie. Visually stunning, Great acting (for the most part, I wish they didn't cast the human torch in a movie full of fire). Suspenseful and emotional. I would have received a 10, but the turn to slasher horror movie in the Fantastic movie. Visually stunning, Great acting (for the most part, I wish they didn't cast the human torch in a movie full of fire). Suspenseful and emotional. I would have received a 10, but the turn to slasher horror movie in the last part seemed very out of place and improbable. Expand
ScottS.Feb 13, 2008
Stunning visuals and a great story make a captivating viewing I just felt slight let down but the ending.
NickFeb 6, 2008
Although many will see this epic idea for a movie as deeply flawed (myself included), especially with the addition of the random zombie near the end of the movie (oh yah, this is a Danny Boyle movie...), it tackles extensive depth into the Although many will see this epic idea for a movie as deeply flawed (myself included), especially with the addition of the random zombie near the end of the movie (oh yah, this is a Danny Boyle movie...), it tackles extensive depth into the vastness, lonliness, and beauty of the universe. A beautiful movie people will look back on favorably, even if they don't see it that way now. Expand
DavidFeb 6, 2008
An absolute masterpiece in cinematography; excellent scene transitions, intense and emotion-ridden soundtrack, and the sheer magnitude of their mission is enough to put chills down your spine. For instance the scene where Capa makes his jump An absolute masterpiece in cinematography; excellent scene transitions, intense and emotion-ridden soundtrack, and the sheer magnitude of their mission is enough to put chills down your spine. For instance the scene where Capa makes his jump from the Icarus II to the payload is one of the most powerful scenes I have seen in any movie. Absolutely fantastic and the best movie I have ever seen. Period. Oh and to all of you 2 and 1 star-ers, consider this; if this movie didn't have the thriller aspect of the third act you would probably be here whining and complaining about the movie being too boring. Expand
2 of 4 users found this helpful
PhilJan 21, 2008
I think a lot of people judge this film too harshly. It isn't perfect, but it is a decent entry into the sci-fi category.
SteveJan 21, 2008
I was a little skeptical at first, but this turned out to be a terrific movie. Very interesting story and nicely produced.
NickBJan 21, 2008
This is a movie that really started off great, of course the visuals are beautiful, and the acting is very believable. Boyle did a good job introducing the cast and just the over all look of the film was very creative. the intensity of the This is a movie that really started off great, of course the visuals are beautiful, and the acting is very believable. Boyle did a good job introducing the cast and just the over all look of the film was very creative. the intensity of the film was at a nice steady pace but for those of you who saw the film know that for some reason the plot started to branch off into lame and unnecessary directions that easily took this movie from sci-fi classic and brought it back down to earth to a disappointingly slightly above average sci-fi film. Expand
AlexanderMJan 18, 2008
This is a wonderful move; one of my all-time favorites. My initial interest was in the sci-fi aspect of the movie, but after the 'rising action' starts it becomes a lot more than a typical "save-the-world-in-a-spaceship" and forces This is a wonderful move; one of my all-time favorites. My initial interest was in the sci-fi aspect of the movie, but after the 'rising action' starts it becomes a lot more than a typical "save-the-world-in-a-spaceship" and forces you to think a lot about life, mortality and human purpose. A lot of the ideas are just beneath the surface. If you can shrug-off some of the insensibilities, suspend your disbelief and enter with an open mind, you might find a new movie to add to your favorites. If you just can't get past all the little imperfections, you're in for a rough ride. I loved this movie -- an instant favorite for me. Expand
LHJan 14, 2008
A fantastic, gorgeous film that has more in common with "2001" than most current (read: loud, flashy) sci-fi. By turns intense, moving, and scary, it packs a lot of ideas into a little over an hour and a half. Excellent.
KentC.Jan 13, 2008
The first two-thirds or so of the movie were very good. The actors fit well with their characters (Cillian Murphy is very talented in any of his roles). The concept was great and the action was fast paced. However, that all seemed pointless The first two-thirds or so of the movie were very good. The actors fit well with their characters (Cillian Murphy is very talented in any of his roles). The concept was great and the action was fast paced. However, that all seemed pointless after we discover the so called "twist" at the final one-third or so of the movie. Whatever amount of enjoyment and interest that you had for the movie was nearly destroyed by that incomprehensible "twist". It was stupid. It was physically impossible for it to ever happen in real life. Worst of all, it ruined the whole movie experience. Expand
SilvioJ.Jan 13, 2008
Amazing movie from start to finish. Most people missed this masterpiece, I'm telling everyone I know.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
JoeyJan 11, 2008
While I can understand the reservations expressed by the above commentators (especially claims that it devolved in the last act; but I feel the same way about The Shining), I found this movie riveting. Further, claims about the movie's While I can understand the reservations expressed by the above commentators (especially claims that it devolved in the last act; but I feel the same way about The Shining), I found this movie riveting. Further, claims about the movie's "scientific absurdities" and "implausibilities" are, in my opinion, overstated. This is quality sci-fi and a must see for any fan. I must add that my wife fell asleep in the first half-hour, but she did the same in, well, all of my favorite western and sci-fi pics. Expand
DRJan 11, 2008
Great production value, terrible science. I couldn't suspend disbelief.
0 of 2 users found this helpful
EricaM.Jan 9, 2008
As usual, Boyle makes a fantastic two-thirds of a movie. Like everyone is saying, the last bit of the movie loses some cohesion. However, the film is just so beautiful it is hard to look away. There is some obvious borrowing from Solaris and As usual, Boyle makes a fantastic two-thirds of a movie. Like everyone is saying, the last bit of the movie loses some cohesion. However, the film is just so beautiful it is hard to look away. There is some obvious borrowing from Solaris and Event Horizon but meh...I mean, we haven't had a good sci-fi movie in years. I'll take it. Expand
helloyouJan 8, 2008
Dunno what some of these guys are talking about. It's a movie, so you can't base it completely in our reality. But even if you do, nothing is too absurd to believe in this movie. I really enjoyed this movie. I rented it with 3:10 Dunno what some of these guys are talking about. It's a movie, so you can't base it completely in our reality. But even if you do, nothing is too absurd to believe in this movie. I really enjoyed this movie. I rented it with 3:10 to Yuma and ended up watching both the same day and Sunshine sticks in my mind far more. The beautiful imagery alone is worth watching this movie. On top of that the cast was great all around, especially Cillain Murphy (as usual) and the guy from the Fanastic Four movies was suprising excellent (dunno his name atm). Both these guys really carried the movie for me. Once you think you have seen everything there is to see in the movie and think it may start to get a bit redundant it completely throws you a new angle a little more than halfway through. Some people have a problem with this...I don't know why...for me it was the best part of the entire movie. Expand
ColinJ.Nov 18, 2007
Parts of it were watchable, but I couldn't get past the many absurdities in this movie. Anyone with the most rudimentary understanding of science will need to put that aside for the duration of this film. Alas the scientific absurdities Parts of it were watchable, but I couldn't get past the many absurdities in this movie. Anyone with the most rudimentary understanding of science will need to put that aside for the duration of this film. Alas the scientific absurdities are only the start of the problem. Expand
BrianOct 17, 2007
first half made it look like it was gonna be great but it trailed off to being unrealistic and implausible. its entertaining if there's nothing else on tv, but id never watch it a second time
2 of 2 users found this helpful
ACOct 11, 2007
Dreadful. Full of gaping plotholes, and utilising every sci-fi cliche in the book. Not silly enough to be fun, or sensible enough to be clever, the whole thing is deathly dull, and why is there suddenly a space slasher plot shoehorned in? Avoid.
DaleC.Oct 8, 2007
One of my favorite sci-fi movies in recent years. Amazing effects, a very realistic description of what a manned interplanetary mission might look like, and a soundtrack that will floor you. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
FadiA.Sep 17, 2007
one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long time, great visual effects away from being glossy and polished, well performing cast, and unbelievable escalation of plot. I could not over look the Event Horizon influence, but who can one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long time, great visual effects away from being glossy and polished, well performing cast, and unbelievable escalation of plot. I could not over look the Event Horizon influence, but who can blame em, That was one hell of a movie. Expand
CamilS.Sep 11, 2007
Good, entertaining, haunting movie.
katherynh.Sep 8, 2007
Nice first half with character introduction and plot set-up along with the p.o.v.-then takes a sudden (and irrelevant) left turn off in another direction! What gives? Clearly, someone lost his/her way. First movie I ever walked out on in Nice first half with character introduction and plot set-up along with the p.o.v.-then takes a sudden (and irrelevant) left turn off in another direction! What gives? Clearly, someone lost his/her way. First movie I ever walked out on in disgust at the silliness. Expand
SimonFlemingFlemingSep 6, 2007
Event horizon, but not as good.
0 of 2 users found this helpful
jrocknycSep 3, 2007
Feels like "2001," except '2001" bored me to tears and this movie rocked.
hollycSep 2, 2007
Users: "Lao 3D" and "Guy W." gave a pretty good surmise of my thoughts on Sunshine, so I won't repeat it. However, I'll add that if you've watched (or read) "The Beach"--another Alex Garland story, there's a bit of the Users: "Lao 3D" and "Guy W." gave a pretty good surmise of my thoughts on Sunshine, so I won't repeat it. However, I'll add that if you've watched (or read) "The Beach"--another Alex Garland story, there's a bit of the same tell-tale twists (some would say silly twists) at the end that are somewhat predictable now---which is disappointing. Actually, most of the plot turns in Sunshine are pretty predictable, but more in that, cliche' of space opera stories told countless times sort of way. However, the visuals throughout are pretty stunning---though the audio was a little overdone--especially given the best part of the film to me was the quiet psychology of the crew and their task. That area gets a little lost as the movie goes on but I'd still say it was an ok movie. Not great, that's for sure---but not terrible either. Definitely derivative (& boring in that sense) but worth a DVD rental for sure. Expand
AntonK.Aug 25, 2007
Thrilling. Amazing script. Perfect visuals. The crew are faced with constant life and death dilemmas. Fantastic cast and performances.
GuyW.Aug 24, 2007
This movie is a sketch - an outline - of great science fiction. It should be shown in film study class as a survey of themes from other SF - Silent Running, 2001/2010, Alien/Aliens, Outland. I could barely call it an homage since it This movie is a sketch - an outline - of great science fiction. It should be shown in film study class as a survey of themes from other SF - Silent Running, 2001/2010, Alien/Aliens, Outland. I could barely call it an homage since it doesn't dwell on any one theme or movie very long. It almost felt like it wanted to be an entire series - like Firefly - but that would only reveal how thin the characters really are. Ultimately I found the movie interesting but not satisfying. Expand
NickA.Aug 20, 2007
Reputable in his line of duty, British director Danny Boyle can
Lao3DAug 20, 2007
Not as good as some comments here might lead you to believe, nor as bad, this film is ultimately a thoughtful and well-made sci-fi film, with large doses of suspense. If that sounds like your scene, you'll enjoy it. I found some of the Not as good as some comments here might lead you to believe, nor as bad, this film is ultimately a thoughtful and well-made sci-fi film, with large doses of suspense. If that sounds like your scene, you'll enjoy it. I found some of the action hard to follow, and some plot holes still have me scratching my head. But still, it's an interesting film and worthy of a big-screen viewing. Expand
LalitDAug 12, 2007
Brilliant, Majestic, Beautiful. Sunshine is a movie with edge of your seat suspense every minute. Realistic Visual Effects, Focused Acting, Superb Directing, all topped off with a imaginative plotline, after watching the movie you will be Brilliant, Majestic, Beautiful. Sunshine is a movie with edge of your seat suspense every minute. Realistic Visual Effects, Focused Acting, Superb Directing, all topped off with a imaginative plotline, after watching the movie you will be thinking and having a reaction of awe as you leave the theatre. A true Science Fiction classic. Expand
IanBAug 12, 2007
Wonderful Film. To those who complain about the homages to such greats in the genre as "Alien" "2001" "Event Horizon" "Solaris (not the George clooney one)" I think you are missing the point. The movie is wonderfully art directed and uses Wonderful Film. To those who complain about the homages to such greats in the genre as "Alien" "2001" "Event Horizon" "Solaris (not the George clooney one)" I think you are missing the point. The movie is wonderfully art directed and uses elements from those films and then pushes them further into a spiritual journey undertaken by the crew. P.S: Who knew Chris Evans could act? Brilliant. Expand
AaronS.Aug 11, 2007
A very good film. Boyle takes bits from other classic SF films and meshes them together with his own ideas. The result is not the mess I had expected after reading a few mixed reviews. Rather, this is an intense even elegant film-not the A very good film. Boyle takes bits from other classic SF films and meshes them together with his own ideas. The result is not the mess I had expected after reading a few mixed reviews. Rather, this is an intense even elegant film-not the kind of picture you expect to find in the wastelands that is Summer film season. The first hour of the film is sensational-filled with breathtaking visuals, interesting concepts and ideas. And then in the latter part of the film, Boyle and his screenwriter Alex Garland pull out a left field plot twist that is jarring to say the least. While it takes a HUGE suspension of disbelief to swallow (mind you this is science fiction), I guess I'm in the camp that felt it didn't destroy the film. It just takes it to a different place than I had expected. The ending is chaotic-but so intense and involving I didn't mind the sharp turn into horror 'Sunshine' took. The final scenes are actually quite moving-no part due to the amazing soundtrack composed by Underworld. The less you know of the film, the more you'll enjoy it. And it really should be seen on a big screen to appreciate the visuals. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the beautifully eerie sound work on the film. It's as stunning as the visuals are. 'Sunshine' really looks like a more expensive film than it really is-Hollywood should take note on what you can do on a lesser budget. Great film-enjoyed the hell out of it. A complete surprise. Easily one of the better films in 2007. Oh and that '0' review "written" by J.K C - I'm mean really now. What is up with that. If you avoid this film because of those poorly written remarks then I don't know. Expand
KevinH.Aug 8, 2007
Glorius visuals, worthwhile ethical debates and intelligent casting make Sunshine a worthwhile picture. The film almost makes it to the hallowed goal of a great sci-fi film. But then, a bit of left over plot line from 28 Days Later slips in. Glorius visuals, worthwhile ethical debates and intelligent casting make Sunshine a worthwhile picture. The film almost makes it to the hallowed goal of a great sci-fi film. But then, a bit of left over plot line from 28 Days Later slips in. Director Boyle is good enough to keep the energy of Sunshine moving along, holding our interest, but ultimately the course of the story is thrown as far off line as the course of the space ship Icarus II. Despite its problems including plot lapses that occurred to me afterwards, Sunshine rises well above most of the dreck that passes for sci-fi entertainment. Plot gaps that occurred to me after the movie include: With the change in course/goal of the mission it seems obvious that the chances for errors and unpredicted problems would be greatly increased, but none of the crew argued that point. If the computer can issue warnings for various events, why does it not issue a warning that the shields need to be realigned to protect the ship and its mission? Why is a major course change and its implications calculated, checked and impliemented by only one person, when in other scenes group-thinking is used effectively? Expand
MarinaAug 7, 2007
Saw it FIVE times in two weeks! What is wrong with this world when so many people cannot decidedly sit and watch a film for the enjoyment of what is offered? It's certainly not boring! It's definitely not visually dark and dull. Saw it FIVE times in two weeks! What is wrong with this world when so many people cannot decidedly sit and watch a film for the enjoyment of what is offered? It's certainly not boring! It's definitely not visually dark and dull. Just sit and enjoy for the pure entertainment of it! That's why it is classified as fiction and not as a documentary. What is it? No cartoon characters? No male/female relationship problems, cheating, unwanted pergnancies, shoot 'em ups, car chases, sex, or other similarly bane plots? I really don't understand what some people think makes a good film. It was a two-fer: space and a monster! ENJOY the FUN! After all, it was Danny Boyle and Alex Garland! Expand
AlexCAug 6, 2007
Sunshine is an excellent, but flawed, movie. Boyle asks you to follow him as the film slides from sci-fi voyage to action-adventure to (very briefly) horror. Unlike some reviewers, I had no problem with this. The major flaw is in the last 20 Sunshine is an excellent, but flawed, movie. Boyle asks you to follow him as the film slides from sci-fi voyage to action-adventure to (very briefly) horror. Unlike some reviewers, I had no problem with this. The major flaw is in the last 20 minutes, when the flow of action becomes somewhat muddled (though stunningly shot). This is the rare movie that could stand to be 10 minutes longer; a few more short scenes would better situate the action at the end. Beautiful, thought-provoking, and tense. Expand
SeanT.Aug 4, 2007
This movie is not nearly as cerebral as many viewers and critics have asserted. Having worried that the movie would be reminiscent of Solaris (Soderbergh)--plodding, pointless, hopelessly pretentious--I was very pleasantly surprised with This movie is not nearly as cerebral as many viewers and critics have asserted. Having worried that the movie would be reminiscent of Solaris (Soderbergh)--plodding, pointless, hopelessly pretentious--I was very pleasantly surprised with this bit of cinema. Sure, the cast is young; however, that does not detract from the overall visual style of the movie nor the plotting nor the characterization. The attractiveness of the cast apparently miffed the SF Chronicle reviewer, and his diatribe's logic reduces to the following: only an ugly actor is a good actor. An infuriating implication for anyone that has tried to be judged on the basis of anything other than their looks. It's hard to find science fiction that isn't simple-minded and violent or (conversely) pretentious and dull. Boyle has struck the right balance with this picture. Go see it!! Expand
PascalF.Aug 3, 2007
I don't get the good ratings given to this movie. Beautiful images, then the movie turns into a very stupid "there is an evil force in the spaceship" movie. Has any reviewer seen 2001: A space odyssey? Alien? Event Horizon? Solaris? I don't get the good ratings given to this movie. Beautiful images, then the movie turns into a very stupid "there is an evil force in the spaceship" movie. Has any reviewer seen 2001: A space odyssey? Alien? Event Horizon? Solaris? Then, why the generaly good reviews? Maybe the critics left after five minutes, not seeing the stupid ending. I feel better now. Expand
JD.Aug 3, 2007
Typical outing for this kind of Scifi that imitates that which has gone before it so its really nothing original. I found it hard to follow and a plot with a lot of holes in it.
RolandSAug 2, 2007
If you like science fiction, you'll enjoy this movie and forsake it's subtle flaws (I don't consider the 3rd act a flaw BTW) I hope there is a director's cut that is four hours long. Good use of the cognitive and social If you like science fiction, you'll enjoy this movie and forsake it's subtle flaws (I don't consider the 3rd act a flaw BTW) I hope there is a director's cut that is four hours long. Good use of the cognitive and social sciences, I felt my two years at community college finally paid off. Expand
WalterAug 2, 2007
Ignore the silly critics on here trying to snob-themselves above this film. Go and enjoy. It's a thriller, a sci-fi brainer, and has elements of horror in it as well. While, for some this causes some form of confusion during the movie, Ignore the silly critics on here trying to snob-themselves above this film. Go and enjoy. It's a thriller, a sci-fi brainer, and has elements of horror in it as well. While, for some this causes some form of confusion during the movie, for the rest of us, the visual power and pure energy are wonderful. Beautifully filmed and very cool...see it on a weeknight and TRY not to think about it afterward...I dare ya. Expand
ChadS.Aug 2, 2007
You'll be hard-pressed to recall a science-fiction film with better characterizations and casting than "Sunshine". Story-wise, this "Alien"-like homage is nothing to write home about, but the presence of Cillian Murphy(who shows more You'll be hard-pressed to recall a science-fiction film with better characterizations and casting than "Sunshine". Story-wise, this "Alien"-like homage is nothing to write home about, but the presence of Cillian Murphy(who shows more passion for a male crewmate than towards...), Rose Byrne(who seems on the verge of making a sexual advance towards Capa(Murphy) before the ship's alarm creates a orientational impasse), and Michelle Yeoh(who gets to play vulnerable instead of exhibiting steely resolve for a change, she gets weepy over a plant) makes the professional interactions of this Benneton space-nation more interesting than their actual mission, which enables this film to be thought of fondly as the thinking man's "Armageddeon". The filmmaker could've done a better job at setting up the film's pivotal suspenseful moment. This filmmaker isn't trying to make a cerebral film like "2001: A Space Odyessy, so it's incompetence, not transcendence that's achieved when the ship's menace is made relevant. There's no build-up. Still, the integrated cast is well-chosen and more importantly, organic. There isn't the whiff of tokenism you get from the "Harry Potter" films. Expand
1 of 3 users found this helpful