7.3

1. Oct 18, 2011
    Another masterpiece from one of the best directors of all time. Super 8 is a great movie filled with suspense. This movie should appeal to a lot of people, as it fits into different genres. There's some scary parts, some funny parts, and some action filled parts. On the whole, the movie is to be taken seriously. It's a film I recommend to any movie lover and is played well by the young actors. It's not your usual alien film, it's a heck of a lot better! Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2011
    awfull movie!!! don;t look it! there is nothing interesting..exept u are ten yars old!
    2 hours under cat's tail! u better watch breaking bad all seasons again..
  3. Nov 18, 2011
    Super 8 ends on a quick note, but it will keep you guessing throughout. The performances from the actors are great and it actually makes sense when you watch it.
  4. Dec 30, 2011
    Director J.J. Abrams and Producer Steven Spielberg team up to make "Super 8", a classic alien in a southern and middle of nowhere town movie. And the fact that the main characters are a group of kids who want to make a short film makes it even better. Some parts, like the little kid who keeps saying "mint", may get a little irritating, but that shouldn't detract from the overall outstanding quality of the movie. Expand
  5. Dec 27, 2011
    Never really had high expectations with Super 8. Ever since I saw the trailer I have almost decided not to watch it thinking that it would just be another blockbuster and quality-deficient. However, I saw the movie this morning and realized how bad my early impressions about it were. The movie had something to offer that I nearly missed. The sound, the visual effects, the story, and of course; the kids! They were just amazing! Must see for kids and kids at heart. Had a Good Time!

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  6. Jan 17, 2012
    Super 8 reminds us all of the great blockbusters years ago and sadly the bad ones also and it does take a lot of ideas from E.T. Super 8 assembles a very talented young cast and offers thrills, adventure, and just dazzling visual effects. I give this movie 87%.
  7. Nov 26, 2011
    If you watch movies to get lost in another world, to smile and to be entertained, Super 8 is a perfect movie. It's got precocious kids, non-stop action, comedy, romance, sci-fi. I had no idea what to expect when I hit play, but I was so pleasantly surprised that I watched this show two nights running. Well done.
  8. Dec 15, 2011
    Besides the fact that this might be one of Abrams' weaker films, "Super 8" is a highly entertaining sci-fi adventure. One of its biggest strengths is what it chooses to focus on. Instead of focusing on the alien itself or the massive destruction the creature causes, Abrams chooses to center in on his main characters; a rag tag group of film making teens who get caught up in their town's hysteria. It's in these characters where "Super 8" stands above most alien invasion movies. And while the action isn't the main focus, it certainly is impressive. The train sequence at the beginning is an amazing special effects achievement, and it's definitely one of the most exhilarating sequences so far this year. For those of you who don't know, this movie was made as a way of honoring the work of Steven Spielberg. It feels like a Spielberg movie from the alien invading plot to the way it focuses on the kids' experiences in frightful times. It's kind of a mix between E.T. and Jurassic Park. Unfortunately, "Super 8" isn't nearly as strong as those films, but it's satisfying nonetheless. The flaws are mostly minor as the movie shifts its tone a few too many times, and the ending doesn't fit with the rest of the movie. There's also moments where the movie feels a little too familiar. We have the father and son who are dealing with the grief of a dead wife/mother in a conflicting way, as well as the secret government army intent on keeping a lid over the whole situation. Abrams just isn't quite able to make it feel fresh enough to surprise us. But overall, if you're wanting to see a movie that's worth the 8 dollar ticket stub, this is definitely the way to go. Expand
  9. Dec 14, 2011
    A wonderful trip back in time to a time when movies had some heart and soul and were more about the characters than the special effects and spectacle. It makes me sad that most of the negative comments below seem to be from people upset that it wasnt another Transformers-esque CGI fest with square jawed marines taking on giant monsters. Unfortunately I guess that is exactly the reason movies like this arent made any more. But thank you JJ, for a modern Amblin classic. Expand
  10. Dec 23, 2011
    I thought it would be a better movie, but the monster didn´t convinced me, it looked too ridiculous for my taste. It is certainly worth seeing, but not directly at the movies.
  11. Jul 7, 2013
    I'm really glad that I watched Super 8. It had a really interesting plot with surprisingly good acting by the young kids. The sci-fi mixed with horror worked well. The only real negative with the film, in my opinion, was the exaggerated Air Force. They were essentially the villains in this film and the actions of the Air Force just felt overdone and lazy. Overall though, it was definitely very entertaining, felt original and fresh, and had good acting and development. Expand
  12. Feb 22, 2013
    Castaways, alien invasion, and paranormal phenomenon are nothing new, but when they are re-imagined by J.J. Abrams, they sure seem that way. Like king midis, everything Abrams touches is pure gold and Super 8 is no exception. On the surface, the film seems like something you've seen a million times before, but it's Abrams twist, turns, and imagination that make it very different. What I loved about this film, was that it's a blockbuster film, with two major names behind it, and there wasn't any big stars attached to it. In fact, most of the cast never had a major role in anything, like the lead, Joel Courtney. I don't know how they found this kid. He had zero professional experience and he was really fantastic. This movie is a gem, and while it seems like it's been done, you've never seen it done J.J. Abrams way. Super 8 is an evolved version of many similar films behind it and is one that they will talking about for years. Expand
  13. Feb 10, 2012
    Loved it. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is but this movie just has this magical feeling to it that only classics have. I know that sounds dumb but that's how I feel. I think it ended a bit abruptly and you only see the monster for a short bit but still this will go down as a classic for sure.
  14. Dec 26, 2011
    Beautiful performances from the entire child cast, along with well placed set pieces and action sequences help this movie over the hurdle of being more than just an 80's cliche. Several surprisingly funny bits of dialogue along with some delicately handled emotional conversations also add substance to this well rounded blast from the past. Great to have on Blu Ray.
  15. Dec 29, 2011
    An adult movie about children, this movie effectively delivers its message even though the story slides through some corny moments. Easy to grip and fun to watch, definitely worth it.
  16. Jan 13, 2014
    In the end, I asked myself "why?" and it just didn't make any sense. The big catchphrase seems to be "accidents happen" and that's how the movie exists. It just happened. They had to write and film something, right? So why not this? It's entertaining and they do a superb job (especially the kids), but what did they have to work with other than a shiny lump of... of what? I think JJ Abrams could make great movies if he chose a story with more meaning and less shine. Expand
  17. Dec 28, 2012
    While nothing about the film really sticks out, It's a rather solid movie overall and I enjoyed watching it. The story was interesting and the acting was solid as well. I think lack of memorable scenes and a lackluster ending hurt the overall value of the film quite a bit. Still, It's worth checking out.
  18. Feb 6, 2012
    Super 8 immediately remembered me to the brilliant adventure movies from my childhood like The Goonies or Stand By Me. JJ Abrams did what I thought never would be back again - wounderful adventure movies for the whole family. They were missing for almost 10 years and I hope he opened the gate for more films like this. Thank you Mr. Abrams!
  19. Jul 18, 2012
    Super 8 is brilliant, it's just so good! How could anyone not like it, it's got a spectacular, interesting and thought out well plot, good acting, good character building, cool and different aliens and really exciting and tense action sequences. Why have so many people given this movie a five or lower, I just don't get it. It's very original and it's very clever and well made. I truly recommend this film to you if you haven't seen it already. I had a choice out of getting transformers: dark of the moon on DVD or this, and I chose this, what a wise choice I made. Expand
  20. Dec 10, 2012
    Super 8 is one of the best alien films to hit theatres in recent years- J.J. Abrams does a great job keeping you thoroughly interested in the story while providing enough tension to quicken the pace of the plot just enough. Well done.
  21. Mar 24, 2012
    Don't be fooled by an almost all kid cast. this movie is not an ordinary monster film. with its terrific directing and visuals you sat in your seat wondering what is this thing. that is what i want from movies. unpredictable moments and Super 8 delievered on exactly that.
  22. Mar 26, 2012
    The films basic message is to let things go and move on regardless of how bad your past events were. While at the same time it is about adventure and helping each other out. â
  23. Jun 11, 2013
    This is pure entertainment. It was captivating and mysterious. It was fun and adventurous. The acting by the young cast was fantastic and the directing style and script reminded me of what great movies can really achieve.
  24. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it wasn't spectacular either. I heard it was supposed to be similar to District 9 (which I really enjoyed), but after seeing it I was disappointed. The aliens look like giant spiders, and they randomly snatch people away at night. There is no explanation as to why they do this, let alone their reason for being on Earth. The main kid gets all whiny and sweet talks to one of the aliens towards the end, while the alien looks bewildered like a dog. Then all the aliens suddenly stop fighting the military and pack up and leave. Spielberg has a tendency to get overly sentimental and overlooks logic in the plot. But viewers who care more about the emotional aspect of a movie than plot integrity might enjoy this more than I did. Expand
  25. Jul 2, 2012
    "Super 8" is a sweet and thoughtful love letter to the art of filmmaking, but its advertisements has cunningly disguised it as a monster-infested thriller. Though elements of a sci-fi movie are found here, "Super 8" shines the most when its settles down for simple storytelling, which has unfortunately become an uncommon service from big-budgeted, modern-day Hollywood.
    It is summer break
    for the students of the small town of Lillian, Ohio, and a pack of youngsters set out to make a zombie movie of their own. The director is a brisk and lively Charles, who commands his cast and crew as if he's paying them in return for their cooperation. But Charles' allowance isn't what these kids want. For Cary, he Expand
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    I do not normally enjoy films with children as the main protagonists but this film was extremely enjoyable. I felt a weird sense of nostalgia despite the fact that I was born in the early 90s and pretty much have no idea about things like a Super 8 camera. J.J. Abrams is quickly becoming one of my favourite people in the world of cinema.
  27. Aug 10, 2012
    Something of a genre mash-up between E.T. and a midnight creature-feature, this film successfully walks the tight rope well by providing us with empathetic, three dimensional characters.
  28. Aug 26, 2012
    Super 8 feels like a bit of a mixed bag. While it's never boring, most of it isn't as interesting as it should have been. The scenes involving the monster are well crafted and tense, while the scenes involving the human characters never really soar that much. All of the performances are fine, but it would have been nice if the film focused more on the dilemma that the small town is going through rather than the small dilemmas that the kids were going through. It's a fine movie, but not as good as I expected. Expand
  29. Sep 22, 2012
    Super 8 is the collaboration of J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg. It takes for its medium a sci-fi drama/mystery/thriller, but the story is one of childhood innocence. It centers around six middle-school children and their surprising display of maturity in a world full of cranky adults. The sci-fi plot takes a back seat to the complicated lives of these kids, but in the end offers a resolution that may not have been without it.

The first two-thirds of Super 8 are absolutely fantastic. I was surprised by how involved I became in the unfolding of the tragedy. Joe likes Alice. Alice maybe likes Joe. Joe's father (the deputy sheriff) is going through a very rough time, and he hates Alice's dad, for reasons that are unclear. So Joe's father - quite unreasonably - does not permit him to see Alice, and Alice's father does the same. Both children have already-strained relationships with their fathers, and now it seems the rift is complete. So begins a lot of sneaking out to film a movie, and the movie becomes the center of the lives of these young children.

The film manages to maintain a light heart throughout. Where there are children, there is humor, including one intentionally blatant message: "Drugs are SO bad!" I must say that a lot of it is quite witty - I enjoyed it, and I often do not. When **** starts to go down in the town, it peaks the curiosity of the children, while the adults remain oblivious, before eventually turning to panic (skipping the curious stage altogether). The event spurs companionship between the kids; where before they were friends they are now a tight circle of trust, old friends who have been through a lot together, although they are in fact still young. It also further peaks their interest in finishing Charles' movie, which in turn develops young love and one slightly strained relationship. The film takes its children through a range of adult experiences, and we see them handled quite well, in comparison to Joe's father, who has very much trouble moving on and blames it on his own son.

The first 70-ish minutes of the film are incredibly innocent and honest. Nothing feels over-the-top, and the story develops at an appropriately slow pace, giving time for the characters to grow through their experiences. The final 40 minutes, however, are almost disastrous to the film. All of that stuff stops being important, and suddenly we have a sci-fi movie, full of cliches and obvious twists and spelling out every little thoroughly expected detail for the viewer. Suddenly it goes over the top, and it loses sight of its original mission.

The film concludes in the way that it should, by which I mean the characters are all left in places where we thought they would end up. There is a definite sense of resolution. But the arrival of that conclusion does not feel like it belongs in the same movie as the first 2/3 of Super 8. It lacks the wit and charm of its better portion.

In a movie whose primary cast is a bunch of young kids, one doesn't expect to be wowed by acting. That being said, these kids form a relatively unyielding ensemble. The least believable character, sadly, is the lead, played by Joel Courtney. Kyle Chandler suffers as well; some of the kids are better. Mad props to Elle Fanning. Seriously great child-acting.

Had the film kept its original course during its final 40 minutes, this would easily be an 8, possibly a 9. I wish it had, so that I could have made a cheesy joke about it being a Super 8.

For a much more lengthy and in-depth review, see my blog at kofdrops.blogspot.com.
  30. Oct 10, 2012
    Super 8 is another blockbuster from director JJ Abrams (Star Trek), and does deliver with funny characters, great special affects, and slick set pieces. An overall fun and enjoyable movie about the world we live(d) in, and the veil of secrecy/transparency that so often tries to cloak it.
  31. Nov 12, 2012
    A glorious film, excellently acted and with a intreguing story. The train crash is probably the most spectacular explosion in cinema history. Let down slightly by it's ending, but I heartily recomend this as Sci-Fi classic.
  32. Feb 16, 2013
    I did not know much about this movie going in, but loved it! It`s like Gonnies but different things going on. I love the characters and story. It was a fun movie to watch!
  33. Nov 28, 2012
    "Super 8" is a 2011 film directed by J.J. Abrams and starring Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning. The film follows the story of a group of kids who witness a train crash in the summer of 1979 and investigate the paranormal events of the that it has on this town. Well to be blatantly and frankly honest - I observed almost no problems in this movie whatsoever. The problems that I did observe are so trivial and insignificant that I'm not even going to waste my energy going over them. When I saw previews for this film, I saw that the prominent characters in it were mostly middle schoolers. Now, movies like this can go either one of two ways for me. One - the kids in this movie are so obnoxious as crap I don't even want to watch anymore. Two - the kids in this movie are portrayed in an enjoyable and original manner, that I can find myself relating to wholeheartedly. As you may have guessed the kids in "Super 8" are portrayed in the latter form. I found every child in this movie to be either hilarious or almost hauntingly familiar. In doing this, Abrams excels at portraying all of the interesting feelings and thoughts that go along with being a kid. The set pieces in this film are unbelievably breathtaking. I mean, the train crash in this movie is so astonishing, words can't even do it justice. The soundtrack by Michael Giacchino is incredibly diverse in emotions - it's scary, breathtaking, and thrilling all at once. The film in and of itself is a rollercoaster of emotions too. There were parts in this film where I couldn't stop laughing. Then there were parts where tension drew out like a blade. There were scenes that pulled at my heartstrings. I honestly can't say that for many of the films that have come out this year. All in all, I felt that "Super 8" was an almost relentlessly entertaining thrill ride. I can now see why Steven Spielberg wanted to be attached to this superbly thought out project. Expand
  34. Dec 6, 2012
    Truth is...I didn't want to see this that bad. I only saw it because it got good reviews and the movie that I originally wanted to see (Green Lantern) didn't. I'm so so glad I saw this film in theaters! It blew me away and I absolutely loved it! One of the best films of 2011 so far.

First off, props to the kid actors. They were excellent, especially Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning.
    Sometimes films that revolve mainly around kids fail because of annoying performances, but Super 8 was very good. I thought all the young actors did a fantastic job, as did the entire cast, but this movie's all about the kids.

The story and pace of the film were also very good. The premise of the story is something that isn't entirely original, especially as of late, but I thought it was brilliantly executed by the cast, and director J.J. Abrams (Star Trek). The pace and intensity was constantly building as the film progressed. It would slowly answer questions but not giving away too much like so many films do. The film builds wonderfly to a somewhat obvious, but very effective ending.

Also the visual effects were awesome, as was the 1970's cinematography. Good musical score, too.

Super 8 is definitely the surprise hit of the summer! I loved every second of it, and i'm really glad J.J. Abrams was able to pull off another solid film after the near perfect Star Trek in 09. Super 8 = 100% recommended!
  35. Jan 23, 2013
    Fantastic movie following a group of kids making a movie that gets interrupted when a train crashes in their town carrying some rather suspicious cargo. The young talented cast are all great but its the creative idea and two brilliant minds (Abrams & Spielberg) put together that make this an amazing film. The train crash scene alone is just spectacular but the final few scenes are also just amazing. Overall a stand-out film from 2011 and one of my favourites for this genre. Expand
  36. Jan 12, 2013
    A blatant alien tale with an ok ending that eventually sums up a movie with good plot development and special effects. I Didn't care for it and I don't know why so many people defend it.
  37. Jun 20, 2013
    A great sci-fi film mixed with a great coming of age adventure. With J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg together you should expect a film with adventure, amazement, and strong emotion and that is exactly what we get.
  38. Mar 24, 2013
    As interesting as a carton of milk.
  39. Jun 29, 2013
    This "kid-like" movie is as memorable as "The Goonies". This movie is wonderfully created with great acting and a surprisingly well made story. The kids are surprisingly amazing, especially Joel Courtney. I need to see him in more movies. Plus, the movie is surprisingly very emotional. All the elements play off each other very well. The one thing I don't really like is the fact the "main purpose" of the story is based off of an unoriginal idea. I mean, aliens? Do we not have enough alien movies? But the way this movie is made, I ignore that fact and just enjoy this movie. Overall, with an unoriginal idea, it's still a kid-like movie that's not only interesting and well made movie, but also has heart. Expand
  40. Apr 16, 2013
    Really good movie! Great story, action, and characters. The one thing I didn't like was the over use of language, really shouldn't have been that much, other than that nothing else was bad. 9 out of 10!
  41. Apr 22, 2013
    This movie is great. It is a mixture od The Goonies and E.T., but that's not a bad thing. A young boy and his friends who like to hang out with each other and shoot movies end up in a train wreck. They go on a long adventure and discover what is happening. They find out the government's trying to vanquish a giant alien who is starving and is trying to find food. They end up saving their friends and getting the alien back home. The boy ends giving up a necklace that was her mother's, giving the story a happy ending and a great moral. This is one of my top 10 movies. 10/10 Expand
  42. Apr 23, 2013
    The Blu-ray release of "Super 8" is, like many big-budget movies from the major studios, an excellent release from a technical standpoint… The transfer is as it should be: a perfect representation of what was shown in theaters (perhaps even better because HD home theaters are starting to become terrific showcases for films than actual theaters nowadays). As the director’s commentary notes, the actual filming was done mostly with 35mm stock and the RED camera system (for later retakes, pick-ups, inserts) but also utilized Super-8 film, of course… the actual movie within the movie the kids are shooting is created on the genuine film stock Kodak put out in box-like cartridges (yes, you can still buy them). It all looks seamless, and the Blu-ray maintains an accurate visual quality with deep blacks that leave in the shadowy details some transfers might otherwise crush into dark mud, consistent grain balance, excellent reproduction of flesh tones (as they were in the theatrical release) and deep color reproduction with no bleeds. Overall it is a great transfer, perhaps the best of 2011 (not counting re-issues/restorations). It offers a tight and crisp picture along with a downright impressive level of sharp detail and no noticeable edge enhancement or apparent DNR (the only image softness I saw was what Larry Fong intended and captured as he switched apertures due to set lighting issues or blew out the background when changing focal lengths). Of course, like most top-notch Blu-ray releases these days it’s hard to tell how good the quality may actually be as there is so much post-production digital tinkering going on in contemporary movies before they hit the theater screen, but when compared to the the DVD disc (Disc 2 of the 2-disc package that also includes the now ubiquitous digital transfer for iTunes/Windows Media Player) and you can immediately see the difference in the level of detail, color saturation, and black levels. Expand
  43. Jun 20, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, es un espectaculo de pelicula, hay escenas de la pelicula que me gustaron y otras que no, a parte hay que destacar tambien a la produccion que gasto 50 millones de dolares en la pelicula; tambien lo que me gusto fue el argumento, lo vi bien desarrollado.
  44. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was good but it could be much much better. The plot is extraordinary and the kids are good too. The first half of the film was excellent. The second one was a little bit of a problem. Seriously a monster down of the ground? I knew it would be something like that but not in that way. I was really looking forward to watch that film and i was kind of disappointed. I expected more from Spielberg and Abrams. Expand
  45. Jul 18, 2013
    This film feels like Spielberg classics 'Close Encounters,' 'E.T.' and 'The Goonies' packed into one. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography and a touching story that can also be quite intensely scary. Overall, it is a very entertaining film.
  46. Feb 12, 2014
    This must have been one of the most faultless movies I've ever seen in my entire life, and I must say that the collaboration between J.J Abrams and Steven Spielberg worked exemplary.

The most spectacular thing about Super 8 is the amazing story, it's so interesting and eventful, and the tempo is so comfortable and calm. Super 8 got an interesting opening scene, and the movie overall
    felt very mysterious and unique, which I think is awesome. The actors in Super 8 are great, and I really enjoyed the childish environment between the characters in this movie, and overall did Super 8 feel exiting and eventful. Another great thing about Super 8 is the lens flares, I just love them so much, and the film is very well made, and the story never felt boring at any time.
    There isn't much bad things about Super 8 actually, and I must say I love Michael Giacchino's music, but in Super 8 they weren't that much spectacular music as there is in his previous works, but it's still great. There is another bad thing about Super 8, and it´s the ending, and I think it's a wonderful ending, but they might could have done more.
    Super 8 is an enormous good movie, and I think it's extremely hard to find flaws in this movie, and it might not be one of the best movies ever, but it's still a great flawless movie.

Super 8 gets a 8,5/10
  47. Nov 7, 2013
    My favorite movie of all time, "Super 8" is a perfect coming-of-age film with a science fiction twist. I identified with all of the characters, especially the alien Cooper, who is also my favorite character of all time. If anyone said something about this movie to me, I would hurt them terribly.
  48. Mar 4, 2014
    Whilst appreciating this is a homage to the good ol' days of cinema, and that the lack of originality to the plot is somewhat intentional, I do feel that it stops the film from breaking the mediocre barrier. The end scene just tarnishes my opinion further and just annoyed me. Plot holes and annoying dialogue adding fuel to the fire. At the end I was just a simmering pot of disappointment. Definitely a let down. Expand
  49. Apr 1, 2014
    Seriously, this is the best you can do? Another alien movie full with a bunch of cliche story elements. Sorry but that is not for me. I do like that this movie has some old school elements to it and some interesting themes, but the movie just did not impress me. I was really wanting something better but this just falls flat and was just not very fun, just a bunch of "been there, done that" story elements mixed together into a disaster. I would not recommend this film. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jul 31, 2011
    It's nowhere close to "E. T." - what is? - but amongst the hullabaloo of summer, Super 8 is something to cherish: a beautifully made homage to better times, and better movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 10, 2011
    If Abrams had stuck with the kids and cut way back on all the sci-fi hoo-ha, his film might have stood a fighting chance of being charming. Big is not always better, even when it comes to fantasies.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 10, 2011
    Super 8 is in many ways a perfect summer movie: smart, exciting, heartfelt, and suffused with nostalgia.