7.3

1. Jun 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the last Spielberg movie I will go to see based on his name alone, last one before this was Indiana Jones 4 which was a total disaster. This movie starts out promising but then falls apart completely by the end. The main problem with the movie is that the monster has no purpose what-so-ever in the story and the film would have been great if it was just about the father son trying to find peace after the death of the mother in addition to the son coming of age with the girl and his friends by shooting a super 8 movie. That part of the movie is good, then the monster appears and not only destroys half of the town, but it goes one step further and destroys the film too. The monster is just stupid; it's not interesting and there's really nothing in the storyline of the monster that hasn't been done before. It's basically bits and pieces of other - better - movies that have already been released. The movie falls apart because for almost 3/4 of the film the monster is just background noise between the scene of the boy and girl, and his friends, all of which are interesting. Then at the end of the film these stories are abandoned completely and the monster's story - which sucks - is wrapped up in to a cgi blastoff which ends the film.

Let's recap:

Father and Son grieving after loss of the mother, the father is distant from his son. Climax: Father and Son hug at the end of the film. No talking about all of the previous stuff, just a hug.

Son & Girl(friend) awkward relationship that blossoms in to...
    Climax: nothing...

Monster & Military - The monster is captured, tortured and then escapes but not after killing innocent people and then being helped to escape by the kids who are scared to death of it the entire film, but then suddenly decide to help it. Which escapes in a space ship which it builds out of regular everyday items from 1979 which some how selectively magnetize themselves to the watertower (never explained, it sounds ridiculous writing this out) and then can summons thousands of minature cubs in to a ship which just suddenly appears for no reason. There is never an explanation as to how the monster suddently fixes his ship at the end. T

Super 8 Movie - The kids are shooting this zombie film the entire god damn movie and it just becomes irrelevant at the end. You would think they would at least play the final cut during the credits or something, but no... nothing.

Group of friends: The entire movie the son is running around with his four friends but at the end each ot these friends gets cut from the ending, there is no closure on any of their stories.
  2. Jun 10, 2011
    What a pile of crud. Worst sci-fi movie I have seen in years. The original teaser was totaly misleading as to what the movie was about. I will think twice before going to any JJ Abrams or Spielberg movie again.
  3. Jun 10, 2011
    Super 8 was a surprisingly delightful movie. Judging by the teasers I was really not interested in it at all but with names like Steven Spielberg and J.J. Abrams being branded on every trailer and poster I simply had to give it a shot. And I was really glad I did because it was very very good. It was really a tribute to the movies of the late 20th century wasn't it? It had all the elements of Spielberg's classic E.T. with a close group of friends on bicycles riding about town shooting scenes for a movie with "production value", adults who seem to be one step behind the kids on the whole mystery, the government intervention and of course an extraterrestrial being "trying to go home". The special effects were great, especially the train crash. Very breathtaking stuff. But even with all the amazing effects and all the action going around, we never really forget the emotional side of it all, Abrams never let's the action upstage the human aspect of the story. Joe who recently lost his mother to a violent tragedy lives with his grief-stricken, depressed and distant father begins to bond with Alice in an 8mm film production of zombies, she herself has father issues. Their relationship reminds me a bit of Abby and Owen in Let Me In united by their own little tragedies, finding solace in each other. Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney play their roles exceptionally well, amazing since it's their first time in a major movie. It was really refreshing to finally watch a movie which was not rushed through production (yeah I'm looking at you X-Men), very carefully thought out and which really took it's own time to tell the story that it wants to tell. I wasn't born in the 60s or 70s but watching Super 8 made me feel like I was in that period of time of filmmaking, it felt very authentic. The closing credits was awesome. Expand
  4. Jun 11, 2011
    Original. Superb acting (and yes, they're just kids!) - but this adult has nothing but admiration for the casting, pacing, direction, and whatever else goes with film making - yes, "super 8"! I'm not sure why some are trying to compare this with "ET"? This adult (ok old man), thinks this is more along the lines of "Goonies" - yes, that other classic, sprinkled with more thrill/suspense. Excellent mix of action and comedy - never cheesy nor "forced" - something most more "mature" films should learn how to do - I think we've all suffered through one or two lines in some movie that just try "too hard".

Unsure what the "kid meter" for this film is. It should be great for the entire family - but again, this is not "ET" - it has more suspense and action in it and the underlying theme isn't as "wholesome".
  5. Jun 10, 2011
    Just really underwhelming from start to finish. Tried too hard to be this generation's ET which was not the way it was marketed. The alien design was lame and the CGI poor. 1/2 ET + 1/2 middle school romance = Super 8.
  6. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst alien movie since...Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? War of the Worlds? Was JJ Abrams working on the script while simultaneously watching Goonies and Jaws? This was NOT an homage/tribute/reference to Spielberg. This was paint by numbers without any original ideas. ET had kids trying to save an alien? This should too! Jaws had a sheriff/father trying to save the town? This should too! Steven and JJ both roped their friends into making films as kids? Guess what? This should too. Unfortunately the only thing about this movie that makes sense is WHY they made it: $$$. And I fell for it again. Sigh. Never again, Steven and JJ. Expand
  7. Jun 13, 2011
    Underwhelming just like everyone else who has any sense or passion for films. Why I keep buying into the trailers it another issue. First off the characters are not really very engaging and like some others users have said the monster has no purpose really through the whole thing. I can see how they were trying to capture that magic of the 80s..like ET, Close encounters, etc..but just fails to do so. CGI runs abundant in this and turns into a sort of B film with a loose plot. Sure some of the scenes of CGI were spectacular..like the train explosion and the aliens ship but was it worth the ten dollar admission (at night)? no way..best to rent or avoid. 2 for effort for some great CGI effects..otherwise another run of the mill film. Best to wait for the next Batman flick. Expand
  8. Jun 10, 2011
    The word that kept floating to the surface as I was driving home from the theater was authentic. I'd probably score the basic story and plot framework a "7", but the movie does such an incredible job bringing me back to the late 70's, and the kids are so spot-on perfect in their roles, that it became an easy 8, almost a 9. Most kids in movies are nothing like the kids I knew when I was young, but Abrams (and the casting director) nailed them in Super 8. Yes, it has that E.T./Goonies irreverent feel to it, but without these kids, the movie falls apart. Kyle Chandler, Ron Eldard, and the other adults are also extremely well-cast. Chandler - the acting Sheriff - is a tough father still grappling with the loss of his wife (who is also amazing in a brief snippet), and Abrams doesn't soft-shoe his relationship with his son. Elle Fanning is terrific - a star in the making. It's only the basic story that is the weak part of the film - and that may sound more damning than I mean it to me. As soon as I heard ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down" (embarrassingly my favorite song for like 3 years of my youth) open the film, I was transported back to that time and place, and it just worked. Don't want to spoil anything further - it's worth seeing. Considering that my midnight show was only half-full, I'm skeptical that it'll have a huge opening weekend. I'm just hoping that some of the Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games kids will turn out for it - though the pre-cellphone, net, ipod days of the late 70s might be tough to relate to. Expand
  9. Jun 10, 2011
    This film has more heart than any film could ever wish for. J.J. Abrams has proved yet again why he is the next Spielberg. You won't see another movie like this in a very long time, a film like this with a story so well structured should be praised forever.
  10. Jun 11, 2011
    Awesome!

Best movie of the year!!!

Truly a heart pounded sci-fi coming of age adventure!
    Why they don't make more movies like this???

Must SEE!!!!
  11. Jun 11, 2011
    150 Characters??? Ok! Super 8 is a blast of a film! Imagine a combination of all the best ingredients that you love and them put them in a blender. Mix it up and you will have Super 8! It is clever, imaginative, loving, very well acted and the most important, it os an intelligent movie. It doesn't give you all the answers, you need to think a little bit. But must of all, the movie make you feel like a kid again. For 2 hours you believe that you are in a more nicer world! This movies has a heart!!!
    Best movie of the year!!!
  12. Jun 11, 2011
    A monster movie that focuses more on character development than hammering the audience with visual spectacle. J.J. Abrams has taken great care into building a teen angst story that you can empathize with. Yes, it's a tribute to the Spielberg films of old, but it works on its own as an engaging and heartwarming tale of forgiveness. It's an imaginative tale that will delight your inner child.
  13. Oct 24, 2011
    Godawful ! The monster was stolen from Cloverfield. I stopped caring when the train crashed, and that was at the very beginning of the movie. No way either one of those kids could have survived that mess, but miraculously, they all escape completely unharmed. Spielberg should stop making movies, it just gets embarrassing. This was a cheap attempt to revive the E.T. saga from the 80's. The fat kid should have been the first to be eaten by the monster, clearly every parent's worst nightmare. Expand
  14. Jun 13, 2011
    Super 8 is simply bad. Despite reading what official reviewers said, I found myself cringing as the kids delivered awkward unconvincing dialog, and that's not even mentioning the rest of the cast. If Super 8 were a drinking game and the only rule was to take a shot every time someone said something nobody would ever say in real life in all seriousness, you'd be drunk before the first scene was over. The story has no redeeming qualities. It has all been done before, and done better. Maybe if the story spent more time developing the characters instead of rushing from scene to scene to keep the ADD crowd from getting bored I might have cared a little when people started dying or going missing. Expand
  15. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am going to try and be concise and keep it short. This movie hurt my life, my relationship, my wallet, and my brain.

Let's start by analyzing why it hurt my life. When we live, we want pleasure. Sexual, psychological, culinary, we simply want things that fulfill our needs and hopefully give us a little of what we want as well. As far as movies go, we want something wonderful, entertaining, fun, original, and skillful. Without those five things, I can't imagine someone enjoying a movie. This movie gave us none of those things. It was two hours of low-level suspense with children acting scared, excited, and adventurous. This movie was constantly loud, muddling any chance of becoming engrossed in its story or characters.

What was so endearing about the characters? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There is no development at all. One has a mother who died, wow, now we care about him! One has braces and likes fireworks, what an interesting character! One's a fat director, oh wow, that's truly something special! Nothing about the cast works. It's one thing to pay homage to someone (in this case, Steven Spielberg), but it's another to just mish-mash everything you've seen together into one movie and hope for the best.

How did the movie hurt my relationship? It put me in a bad mood. After two hours of watching mind-numbing acting and a horrible story about a murderous alien who kills off people while building his spaceship, I was drained and unable to relate the way I normally do with my girlfriend. Rarely does a movie suck the life out of me like this. This alone should indicate that this film is trash, life-sucking trash.

How did it hurt my wallet? Movies never make me think about the ten dollars I just spent on them. Even if it's just a fun comedy like The Hangover 2, I don't mind shelling out hard-earned money to see it. This movie made me remember that I had used money for it. That and the gas to go see it (easily two dollars worth of gas). What movie makes someone remember that money was taken from them? This one.

Now, the most beautiful part, how the movie hurt my mind. At the end of the movie, roughly five people started clapping. I believe three of them were over-weight, Hispanic women, and the others I couldn't locate in the theater. I was thoroughly confused, beyond any confusion I've ever felt in my life before. I'm twenty-eight and I've seen a lot of things, this clapping phenomenon was one of the more bizarre. Why were they clapping? This wasn't sarcastic clapping, either, that I would've detected immediately and joined in on. This was genuine, "this movie was extremely good" clapping. What on Earth? Were they happy the alien had finally escaped Earth? Why were they happy for this alien who had killed several human beings? Were they happy for the town who now was free of a deadly alien who kept stealing their car engines and making their dogs run away from home? My god, why were they happy? People who watch "Lost" are possibly so enamored with the TV show that they force themselves to love this movie. Or maybe people who love Star Wars are so enamored with it that they force themselves to love this movie. I don't know what it is or what it was, but as an objective human being, this movie was trash. I suppose my biggest mistake was seeing the film at all -- especially having the ability to read about it beforehand, which I didn't. The movie must be more geared towards the 10-to-15-year-old crowd. Being over the age of 18 will not help you enjoy this film, I'll warn you now. Stay as far away from this film as possible, it can only hurt you.
  16. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cloverfield meets ET meets Friday Night Lights. Not a big disappointment, but also formulaic (lots of teasers re: actually seeing the "monster.") Most of the kids did a good job, but Elle Fanning is badly miscast.

And I want the lipstick franchise.
  17. Jun 15, 2011
    Super 8, at its core, is Cloverfield starring kids. The editing, acting, and special effects are top notch; but they all become exaggerated and unreasonable as the movie progresses. Near the conclusion, we see copy-pasting editing trying to tie it all together amidst heavy, labored classical music with completely unnecessary and over-the-top explosions. What starts with a resounding BANG! ends with a neutered whisper. Expand
  18. Jun 16, 2011
    To say this was a disappointment is an understatement, the story was boring and so was the camera work. It seems to be an ongoing theme with US films in recent years, dumping loads of cash on effects and fancy camera work and somehow that will make up for god awful stories. As others have stated it's basically a rip from The Gonnies which is a far better film. I can say that the acting of the young cast was very
    good and considering how bad the script it's the only plus part of the
    whole film.

I think we will see the same thing happen to J.J. Abrams as we have
    seen with M. Night Shyamalan, basically it seems they were lucky with
    the first few projects they directed and now they are just trying to be
    clever with pointless stories.

Hey you guys! Surely there must be better material out there, your
    audience isn't as dumb as you might think and we expect better!
  19. Jun 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, man. Where do I start?

The kids were well written and excellently acted, but the adults were waaaay too stupid to even make for a reasonable backdrop. There's not a moment in the film where they aren't embarrassing themselves. The military is trying to contain the most incredible and dangerous secret in history, something that would change civilization as we know it. They have an ALIEN. So putting it on an unprotected train makes a lot of sense. And they know that the only thing this creature wants is to get these little devices that they found with it so it can go home, so natch they've opted to put the devices on the same train. This pickup shows up and runs head first into the train...and the driver is mildly wounded. Wow. But hey...good for him I guess. He only lives long enough to be lazily killed off in a later scene without ever mattering in between, but okay.

The residents of this small town are mildly interested at best (not pooping with excitement, which is what small town people do anytime ANYTHING happens) about this train crash. Suddenly, every dog disappears, thousands of devices vanish, power is fluctuating, and then PEOPLE are disappearing...but it's sort of treated as an irritant. We get incredible lines like "What about my microwaves," instead of the correct line, which is "OH NO AM I NEXT?!" Nobody seems to be really all that worried, just kind of frustrated by the inconvenience.

At this point, the army decides to step up operation "Supersecret" by pissing off local cops, driving huge convoys through town on a daily basis, letting little kids film their every move, and ultimately starting a huge fire as an excuse to relocate the entire town. Because its not like people are going to add one and one together and start asking questions (don't worry, friend, they don't!). They'll disappear anybody who knows anything at all....but having the aforementioned camera pointed at their operation for pretty much the ENTIRE TIME they're looking for the alien is not concerning. I'm assuming that they're aware enough to actually notice it. As they ransack the truck driver's house, the kids stand about 15 feet away and film them for like ten minutes before the guy in charge turns to his friend and utters the amazing line, "Do you see that?"

Oh, wow. Do I ever.

But what to expect? This is the same military that knows this creature is subterranean, and knows that it is popping up in various locations and then disappearing into thin air, but never once bothers to look for any of the multitude of gigantic craters that therefore must be (and are!) pockmarking the area, or try to locate any underground tunnels. They're also the people who angered one of their top scientists on the most secretive operation of all time and then fired him, never followed up on what he was up to, and decided it was probably okay to drive the alien right by his back door.

And at the end? They destroy an entire town because they can't stop shooting. Literally. "Our weapons are constantly misfiring! That must mean we're constantly reloading! Maybe we should reevaluate that!" Nah. Don't worry about it. You're good.

I'm really just at a loss as far as the town people go. I wanted them all to die. I laughed a lot, and mostly at them. The gas station scene was ultimate generic horror movie death shot anyway, but then the guy the next day looking at the TOTALLED building and going "Nah, this here's a bear attack," just took it to a very special place for me. And the electrician alone in the dark raising his little cubby up higher because he wants to try and glean a look at whatever just HURLED A STOVE IN HIS DIRECTION? I had to wipe a tear away. God bless his curious little heart.

These people earned death at every step. Even Sheriff Dad just sort of wandered around the second half of the film doing nada until he almost accidentally finds his son at the end. This is the same hero who figured, "Hey, buddy, your mom just died. Except for me, you're all alone in this world. I'm gonna send you away from me so I can have the summer to myself. Also, I'm gonna spit on your friends." It doesn't take a struggling and lost but redeemable father to do these things. It takes an ass.

The stoner guy turns out to be the hero in this one. He starts off stupid..."Hey, the military is all over the place, stuff is on fire big time, people have disappeared right and left, but this hot girl just said exactly three sentences to me. Of course I'll risk my butt for her brother!"...but then he gets really high and sleeps through the rest of the film. Exactly like I should have done. More the fool me, I guess.

Like I said, the kids were all outstanding. They were well written, fun characters. Their acting is top shelf there. And while they did some unbelievable things it was all sold well and it worked. It's just too bad they weren't in a better film.
  20. Jul 2, 2011
    A simple perfect summer movie with a very interesting story. Suitable for all age groups go for it. The main thing is its theme like 70's retro classic movie. Simply superb.
  21. Jun 10, 2011
    Super 8 was very awesome and one of the best summer blockbuster films of the year. Spielberg and Abrams work very perspective in th way that Steven Spielberg made other films that connect into alien invasion and the atmosphere of every terrestrial scenery at the same time. It has great acting, great scenes, great explosions, great chills, great people, great thrills, great music, and great cinematography. That's what we expected to see that some other movies take time that it gets too overrated too much, but I can honestly say that for me was fantastic that it doesn't get too boredem to watch and happy to see it again. Well done for JJ Abram's film that brings a good idea and thanks to Spielberg to bring back some memories that we've seen his films that gets too exciting. Expand
  22. Jun 11, 2011
    Sci-fi Alien flicks never really went out of style. But the grew into more of an action( End of the world) type genre. What super 8 does is steer away from that. Its an all around great film, the acting is on point, the FX are some of the best I've seen, the music etc.. Abrams took a big risk making the kids lead roles for a film like this. But the risk pulls off, the kids are super talented and make you feel like you're watching a new modern day version of E.T. Bottom line if you can only watch one movie this summer, make it this. Expand
  23. Jun 10, 2011
    This movie is great. From the storyline to the special effects its really one of the best. Its a non-stop thrill ride that never slows down, but is never too hectic.
  24. Jun 11, 2011
    I went to see super 8 on it's release, and I have been waiting for this movie for months. May I say super 8 was worth the wait. It was the best movie I ever seen in years. I can't wait to see it again
  25. Jun 11, 2011
    Check out my video review here: http://youtu.be/Yrt82fDRCA0 With dazzling special effects and set design this is more then just a monster flick. It is the greatest monster flick ever! A picture perfect period piece and not too much alien this film will satisfy any audience member who watches it. It's and better, more advanced, twenty-first century telling of E.T. (With a little more fright and a little less family fun) Expand
  26. Jun 10, 2011
    Amazing movie! A big heart classic sci-fi monster thriller!
    Well, think Et meets Goonies meets Close Encounter meets Stand by me meets Jaws... As references, of course!
    And Abrams and Spielberg uses these references as the veins from this body, but the body have tremendous and unique heart of its own!
    Must see of the summer and many summers!
  27. Jun 15, 2011
    Gee whiz, nostalgic romp, but the story is so messy and frustrating, with holes an alien could fly his spaceship through. Super 8? Where, Why? Nice concept wasted, with a few wonderful moments like the opening expository sequence, but about 30 mins in, no one seemed to care about the plot. Kinda hated it for falling so far below my expectations.
  28. Jun 17, 2011
    I'm not sure how a person could dislike this film...or even not fall in love with it. Not only does it allude to the sci-fi films of the 80's, it reinvents the genre! JJ Abrams is a genius. He was when he wrote the score for Michael Bay's ONLY good film. (Armageddon) He is now that he's writing and directing his own movies. The music, the writing, the acting, the atmosphere, the camera work, the special effects, the...I can't express how good this film is! It outshines every sci-fi movie I've seen in the past few years. It is so incredibly human that it's scary. Just when you think the film is wrapping up...it teaches you a lesson. I can't recommend it enough! It's something you and those around you can really sink into. Few movies are as memorable as Super 8. Expand
  29. Jun 24, 2011
    I was very disappointed, Expected much more from Spielberg/Abrams. Lots of contrived suspense with very little pay-off. There is simply no emotional investment in the "character" at the end. If you need one character to TELL you how another character or creature thinks/feels ("when I touched it") it's because the script is poor and you didn't make the viewer care! Rent ET and save the money. At the very least, rent it later. Collapse
  30. Aug 5, 2011
    It's no wonder that I walked into the movie theater to see Super 8 with nothing but optimism. J. J. Abrams has created some fantastic films, so it only added to my disappointment when I walked out of the theater unimpressed. I felt like they chose unknown actors specifically to suspend reality in the film. Unfortunately, the actual effect was poorly acted secondary characters that I felt no compassion towards, or even really cared about. While the main characters seemed to be well thought out and acted, most of the other characters were just plain underwhelming. Certain elements of the story seemed completely unnecessary, such as the white cubes, the rivalry between the fathers, and the protagonist's mother's locket. The whole movie seemed to be a simple way to show off that trademark J. J. Abrams cinematography, and not character of plot driven at all. This movie is good for anyone who wants a shiny version of E.T. Expand
  31. Sep 21, 2011
    "Super 8", a film directed by the infamous J.J Abrams, is a surprisingly well made film; its a film pure of innocence and maturity fused together, like Spielberg did in the 80's. However Mr. Abrams, you directed the wrong movie at a awkward era; a era where we fight and despise each other with curses and swearings. 80's movies are appropriate movies, and the 21st century movies are appropriate for the 21st century. Next time Mr. Abrams when you choose a movie to copy+paste into yours, make it something that is not Spielberg's. His work and recognition is better left in the 80's untouched. Expand
  32. Mar 10, 2012
    Super 8 is one of those movies that seem very promising at the beginning and are a total disappointment at the end. The start of the plot is very attractive and has a mysterious aura that surrounds it; and this feeling of understanding nothing gives the movie an expressionist atmosphere. So is a challenge to solve the problem and connect all the clues. Among the details are reveled, you start perceiving a huge conflict that involves the humankind, worthy of the greatest masters of cinema. This wide situation never stops caring about little human issues; in Super 8 the children are anxious to create a short film, no mattering what they have to do and when the accident occur they take it as a production value, totally delightful.
    All of the above suggest an epic ending, but there was no way that J.J. Abrams could have done it worst. This finale is like the queen of cheap sentimentalism, with a weak screenplay, poor performances and an awful direction; this is an ultimate piece of crap.
  33. Jun 21, 2011
    Super 8 was probably my most anticipated movie of the summer, and it didn't dissapoint one bit. Super 8 is simply.....amazing. Like many people, I grew up with classic Spielberg movies, so having that nostalgia come back was a great feeling. JJ Abrams is one of the best directors out there right now. He does a phenomal job with the action and visuals, but knows to push those in the the background so the characters, story, and emotion are the main focus. Surprisingly, the kids were my favorite part of the movie. They were great, funny, and did a great job with the emotional scenes. My favorites would have to be Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning. The suspense JJ Abrams creates, especially in the last 1/2 hour, is so intense to the point where I could've had a heart attack. Lastly, the characters are so well developed and the whole movie is very touching. So overall, Super 8 is my favorite movie of the year, so great, if you haven't, see it right now. Expand
  34. DME
    Jun 16, 2011
    There are some plot-holes, cheesy parts, and over-dramatic scenes. But overall, Super 8 was a pretty good movie. I recommend seeing it.
  35. Aug 7, 2011
    Unengaging from start to finish. The human drama aspect of this film is a broad-strokes schmaltzy portrait of childhood and reconciliation in suburban 70's America. The most annoying thing about this is the plucky/bratty kids in the main roles. It's really difficult to feel anything for aspiring film-makers/actors (filming on Super-8 film, duh), especially the chubby kid who keeps harping on about "production values". Please, kids, go fishing, camping, paint a picture, just do stuff kids do, please. Of course the main kid is just dull enough to be the lead. The sci-fi aspect is dull too - and the big bad that's wrecking everything is revealed in predictable fashion - "oh look, it's in the background but out of focus so we still don't know what it is!". In essence, ET multiplied by Lost plus Stand By Me minus any charm, suspense or thrills you might find in a half decent film. Don't waste your time. Expand
  36. FC1
    Jun 11, 2011
    A reviewer write "we want something wonderful, entertaining, fun, original, and skillful", but doesn't feel this movie provides any of these. My guess is that this movie will get its share of naysayers with similar misgivings and feelings of this movie, but I also think that perhaps these moviegoers may already have been predisposed to begin making comparisons and analogies before they walked in to view the movie. Yes, Super 8 has elements seen in Spielberg movies and some of what you expect from Abrams. Surprise! They collaborated it. I'm glad that Super 8 advertising showed only "so much" because it helped to keep the "mystery", that I think drew many people in. The audience with which I saw Super 8 very clearly liked the movie; so did I. Why? In some part because of remembrances of movies past; but primarily because the acting was surprisingly (at least for me) much better than expected (I could literally feel the audience sucked in with the boys at Elle Fanning's rehearsal at the train station). there were plenty of unknowns to keep you guessing until they were slowly revealed (not always as expected), there was a warmth and caring for the characters that's not often seen in major action movies, and finally the resolution of the story was satisfying (which is often not the case when you find out it's a dream or the unknown entity or dilemma is a dog that's grown to 100 times its size). Yes there were elements seen in other movies, but they fit within the genre and have a reason for being there. Often, its not the introduction of something never seen that makes art original, it's the combination of its elements that does so. I think this movie will stay with us and be enjoyed as much as other productions by Spielberg and Abrams; maybe more. Loved the very end, BTW. Expand
  37. Jun 23, 2011
    I messed up the rating on my first review, so this will even it out
    extra characterssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  38. Jun 20, 2011
    I loved this movie. It was emotional, it was funny, and over all it was just fun. I walked out of this theater with a revived sense of hope that movies can be as great as they were 25 years ago. Where Indiana Jones 4 fell short, Super 8 thrived. It combined modern special effects with the writing style of Steven Spielberg in his prime.
  39. Jun 13, 2011
    This creative coalition between J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg feels like several movies we've seen before. A group of kids is making their own movie (be sure to stay thru the credits to see the result) and they happen to witness the escape ofâ
  40. Jun 14, 2011
    This movie could have been so much more. It had the feeling of an old Spielberg summer flick. It had good characters and at least some character development. It had child actors that didn't make me cringe every time they spoke. It had halfway decent dialogue and reasonably good acting. It was the Spielberg-type feeling that kept coming back. It really does feel like it was plucked straight out of the era when Spielberg was in his prime. Except for one major detail: the antagonist. The alien/monster was a real let down and left me wondering what exactly was the point of this character? The scenes featuring the alien are by far the weakest of the film. Nearly everything else is pure gold, as far as summer popcorn flicks go. Expand
  41. Jun 10, 2011
    I loved Cloverfield. I went into this movie expecting about the same thing. I was surprised. This movie is quite a bit different than Cloverfiled. It has an emotional story and more themes than Cloverfield. This movie had the perfect mix of monster action/suspense and emotion. This movie has great action sequences and CGI. The monster is more of a character this time around with a bit of humanity and emotion and back story. I thought this movie was great. Expand
  42. Jun 10, 2011
    Just watched the movie in Digital-2D. First of all, I would like to say, I'm a big fan of J.J. Abrams' work having watched "Alias", "Lost" and "Fringe", and watched his directorial movie debut "Mission Impossible III" and then the epic "Star Trek". "Star Trek" is one of the best movies I've seen and it absolutely catered for all movie go-ers, Trekkie or not. When his next film was announced, I was super excited. "Super 8" is my most anticipated movie of 2011 with "Hp 7 Pt 2" and "T3:DOTM" behind. I was going to watch this movie no matter the ratings, then again I knew it couldn't possibly have a low rating. When RT had it above 80%, I knew instantly the movie worked (I was actually really hoping for a good reception). I heard that the movie got its first rotten review after 13 reviews while "Star Trek" after a staggering 49 reviews. What's not to like about a mysterious movie that no one knows much about except the "discovery of something inhuman". The build up with the epic teaser trailer and then the full length trailer just made the wait all more worth it. Since the trailer was in my opinion brilliant, the movie may not turn out the same. Not the case here. I admit I'm bit of a extraterrestrial fan craving for the "next big alien movie" - the last one I watched was *pukes* "Battle: *pukes some more* LA". Nevermine that so-called movie. It was utter... disgrace. The plot in "Super 8" is indeed all its hyped up to be. Without revealing too much, let's just say it has plenty of references to Steven Spielberg's works most notably "E.T" (kids on cycles), "Jurassic Park" (roar from the distance) and many more including "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" which I have not much memory of since I watched it when I was a kid. I only remember the alien's skinny neck and arms reaching out and the sound/music of the UFO shattering windows. Oh, and you can thrown in "War of the Worlds" too. In others words, J.J. Abrams has written some of Spielberg's most iconic alien flicks into this movie, and made it his own. I'm not saying he tried to bring back those moments, but that is what these scenes will undoubtedly invoke. As for the actors, you got Elle Fanning, Joul Courtney and Kyle Chandler. All three were brilliant thought I did feel Kyle Chandler who plays Jackson Lamb trying too hard with his role. Most surprising and worthy to be pointed out is Elle Fanning - only the second movie I've seen her (first being "Benjamin Button") and what a surprise. She did really well, and clearly knew her acting chops for the actual-movie itself and in the little film project they did. I definitely felt the 'loss connection' between Joe and his father, and Alice and her father. There were some genuine emotional moments though they were very little. Kudos to the kid who played the zombie too... I don't know whether to love the ending or not, but I felt a few more revisions to the writing could have made it much more memorable. I will not call it half-baked or average at best, but rather a "nice conclusive ending". Unlike "Cloverfield" where the monster, still lived and you still were guessing at the end of it. So is this movie worth watching? Well, it's definitely a must-watch, BUT and I have to admit, not the epic quality that is J.J's previous work "Star Trek". It still is great and a helluva lot of fun to watch. Very entertaining from start-to-finish. Yet again, this movie caters to all types of movie go-ers, whether you're into sci-fi or not. It does not have the ambiguity/grey areas of "Cloverfield", in fact it seems to have looked at "Cloverfield" as an 'issue' and resolved it with "Super 8". Nicely done. -dfltnm365 Expand
  43. Jun 13, 2011
    Like many people, I walked into the theater not really knowing what to expect, except I knew it would have something to do with an epic train crash. Well, let's just say the train crash wasn't the only epic thing in the movie. The young actors did a splendid job, the story is exciting, and there's never a dull moment. I don't know why people say this movie reminds them of E.T; I don't recall any devouring of human flesh in that movie. It reminded me of a mix between Stand by Me and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Here's a tip: be sure to sit through the credits. Expand
  44. Jun 13, 2011
    OK I was all hyped up to go see this only to be let down. It was slow from the beginning than the train wreck. This movie reminded me of E.T. with the ending and all. Not to original. A lot of cursing by the kids which in my opinion was unnecessary. I thought the X-Men movie was waaaay better. Not very original. Don't was your money on this one, wait for it on DVD. I have no idea what the critics were talking about. Expand
  45. Jul 2, 2011
    Two years ago, J.J. Abrams gave us the breathtaking film, Star Trek. Two years later, Abrams gives us the best original film in a long time. The acting in this film is brilliant, especially the kids! The story in this film is very simple and put together well. The visuals in this film were stunning and the direction this film went in was very well done. This is the best movie of 2011 thus far as of June 12th, 2011. Expand
  46. Jun 11, 2011
    I love the pretentious punks who say this movie is trying to be like E.T. Similarities? Yes, I think the themes are similar, but this movie has it's own things about it that make it unique and completely different than everything else that is being made right now. It was very well written, shot, and directed. J.J. Abrams did a great job here. The casting was great, each child actor was charming in their own way. Yeah, it can appeal to a younger audience, but it also appeals to the older ones as well. Makes them reminisce their childhood. Not from the aspect of aliens and such, but the imagination that they once had as a child, and how things felt so simple. How they coped with a loss of a family member, or anything important to them. This movie is a metaphor and should be looked at that way. Although, if you don't feel like thinking, sit back, enjoy the story and the CGI. A great movie and definitely going to be a top 10 for summer movies this year. Expand
  47. Jun 11, 2011
    Super 8 derails all the infantile movie-making of explosion artists and delivers a nostalgic return to the subtleties of cinema.

In retrospect, itâ
  48. Jun 10, 2011
    Closer to "Goonies" than to "E.T.". I enjoyed this movie but in watching it, even though there is a sense of wonder and nostalgia that is generally missing in movies these days, you realize quickly how rare a talent Steven Spielberg is. Here is what Spielberg did right and some of what is lacking in "Super 8". First, the villain is not flushed out. In E.T., the villain really isn't a villain except in the eyes of the protagonists. "Keys" as he is known in E.T. believed what he was doing was for the greater good. He longed for an experience like Elliot. Unfortunately, he failed to see what the children saw all along, that E.T. was a living being with his own needs and desires. In "Super 8", the villainous Nelec was completely two dimensional and malevolent. The story would have been stronger had the motives been clear for his behavior and especially if his judgment was complex â Expand
  49. Jun 19, 2011
    This is one of only 3 movies that wasn't a total disaster, the other 2 being X-Men and Green Lantern. This is the most human. The child actors here do a better job than most seasoned adults. They bring a since of wonder, amazement and humor to a monster film. This movie is Goonies meets E.T. both are great films but now this will stand the test of time to show it is another classic. The adventure story is great and is visually fantastic but it is the human story of a boy who lost his mother that makes this movie worth watching. The thrills, and laughs never end, it is just fantastic. Expand
  50. Jul 1, 2011
    A fun mix of Sci-Fi and Drama, this movie, despite what it might seem, is completely original. It is an experience that is meant to be seen on the big screen.
  51. Jun 29, 2011
    Super 8 is easily the best monster movie around. It delivers all the action that a movie should have and add feeling, yes, humanity into a monster movie. Highly recommended!
  52. Jul 1, 2011
    I was not sure going by the trailers, but the movie was great to watch. Brought me back in time, fast paced and original. I got to know the characters and the special effects were great! Worth seeing.
  53. BeK
    Aug 19, 2011
    Well, Super 8. One of the best movies I've seen so far, and definitely the best one I've seen this year. Filled with a great cast of young actors, an impressive story-line and a lot of mystery, Super 8 manages to keep you at your seat from the beginning till the end. A masterpiece movie of our times, in my opinion, having all the resources necessary to making it a blockbuster. A little too young, the main characters in our story, but still, they their job just fine. Special effects, really show you that people did put in some good money as well in this movie. Not many flaws, and in general a movie worth seeing, at least twice. I definitely recommend it to all tastes and to people of all ages. Not as scary as when you read about it. See it, rate it, maybe love it, but definitely give it a shot cause in my opinion you won't regret it. Expand
  54. Jun 28, 2011
    As an avid fan of all Steven Speilberg movies, I rank this as one of my all time favorites. Really the movie nailed the style of the late 1900s and brought a unique view onto the world of children, reminescant of the book IT by Stephan King. The only thing I felt was missing from this superbly done, action packed, and expertly paced film is a incorporation of a bond between the monster and the children. I feel it was shown as to violent and wild and very little was shown of its intelligence. other than that this was a amazing film that I very much enjoyed. Expand
  55. Jul 23, 2011
    Though it wasn't much of a movie to watch with friends, it still had some pretty cool scenes. watching this with family though would be much more suitable as it accomplishes that sense of loss while maintaining a sense of adventure.
  56. Jul 8, 2011
    Really, Steven Spielberg, what were you thinking? This movie reminded me of a nightmare I had as a child. I was running from death and I would wake up in a cold sweat every time. To have these children running from death in the entire movie was a little much. And the train wreck. It wasn't just a train wreck. It was a colossal train wreck. That part I liked. But what I am angry about is the last scene where tthe alien is gathering all the metal to reconstruct. To take the child's only remembrance of his mother. I thought that was extremely selfish of the alien. Yes all the microwaves, all the bikes, all the scrap metal, but no, not the necklace! Really! Expand
  57. Jun 14, 2011
    Super 8 was visually stunning, well acted, and a lot of fun as well as well written for the first hour and 35 minutes or so. However, the ending was disappointing and cliche. The ending really brought down the score of the movie for me, but nonetheless, it is still a summer movie worth seeing.
  58. Jun 12, 2011
    If you haven't seen Goonies, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, or any CG monster movie you will like this movie. If you have seen any of those you will know it is a 2nd rate retread of those movies; down it the characters, the editing, the lighting. What is so surprizing is that there is so little original in this movie. It was almost as if they needed another product to get out the door until the real movie they want to do is ready for production. There were times I seriously considered getting up and walking out because it became just too slow, draggy, and predictable. Expand
  59. Jun 19, 2011
    Not quite sure why everyone on here has to be so cynical. No one on here is a professional film critic, so lets lose the film school jargon and keep it simple.

This is a fun movie. It has all the magic Steven Spielberg's old movies had. I honestly felt like I was 10 again, watching E.T., or the Goonies. Definitely worth the ten dollars I spent to see it.
  60. Aug 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An outstanding and nostalgic piece of art. This film surely is the perfect merging of emotional appeal, suspense, a great history and amazing action. Expand
  61. Jun 12, 2011
    What a strange movie to review. It was really two movies in one. The first was a fantastic Stand By Me-esque kids bonding adventure. The second was an appalling and brain melting action movie a-la Transformers 2. The two were completely incongruous with the second completely destroying the first. The first half of the movie would be a solid 8-9 out of ten with some great acting by the kids and a really absorbing story to boot. The film, like the train within it, became so totally derailed by about the midway point that it undid all of it's previous groundwork. Expand
  62. Jun 12, 2011
    Super 8 is exactly what you would want in a summer sci-fi action film. The casting and acting is top notch and the special effects are unbelievable! Without spoiling anything I will tell you that the plot is rich with many twists and turns while following a very believable yet fantastic story line. The early 80's were recreated so well in the towns and homes of a small Ohio town. You really start to believe in the recreation of the time period which pulls you further into the story. Great story, acting, casting and special effects. What more could we ask for? This is what this movie genre has been been missing for some time now. GO SEE IT! Expand
  63. Jun 19, 2011
    I thought this movie was incredible. Easily one of the best this year. J.J Abrams does a good job of keeping the mysterious thing hidden until the end of the movie. At the end you will understand what Spielberg had to do with the film
  64. Sep 12, 2011
    Proof that the very best monster movies aren't really about the monster, but about people. The film's more about relationships, growing up, and dealing with bereavement than about a creature's rampage through small-town America. The young cast are great, all delivering engaging, but natural performances. J J Abrams really couldn't have made it any clearer that he loves Spielberg, everything from the setting, to the cinematography and mise-en-scene could have come from late 70s/early 80s Spielberg films. Maybe you could criticise Abrams for being too Spielbergian and having few ideas of his own, but he does undoubtedly put his own mark on the film, once again demonstrating his skill as a character-focused storyteller. After the emotional first act and sensationally realised train crash, the plot does drag a little, and evil army officials seem a little too cliched to make particularly compelling antagonists (though using them does nod to E.T.) The creature itself is also not particularly memorable, but as already stated, Super 8 isn't about the monster, but about people. A very entertaining ride overall, just make sure you sit through the credits! Expand
  65. Jun 25, 2011
    Great movie the music was perfect and fulfills the atmosphere and the visual affects are astounding....
    great character development and overall not a bad film.
  66. Jun 15, 2011
    In order to really get a feel for and appreciate Super 8, you truly have to suspend your disbelief and put yourself in the shoes of the kids. It reminded me in a way of E.T., or at least I felt the same way after seeing both films. I would've liked to see the whole idea of filming the train crash played out more throughout the movie, but I'm glad that I got what I paid for. Definitely a great movie to see this summer. Expand
  67. Jun 10, 2011
    Saw this on Thursday, one day before the official opening, which was announced on Twitter (I found out via IGN.com. I suppose Spielberg and Abrams are testing word-of-mouth, by releasing the IMAX version one day.

I thought it was good, not mind-blowing. I realize this is a coming-of-age film and, as an adult, a kid watching this would probably feel this is his or her generational movie,
    in the same way that I identify with Stand By Me. That's what this movie is: Stand By Me with an alien, or Stand By Me meets E.T. meets Jaws meets Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. In the same way that Bryan Singer made Superman Returns as a love letter to Richard Donnar's Superman, Abrams crafts his own letter to Spielberg, celebrating his early works such as the ones I referenced above. Is that a good thing? In this case, Abrams did a good job, unlike Singer (Brandon Routh should've had a chance to be in his own Superman universe, not Richard Donnar's). Did he do a great job? Again, when I watch this movie, it reminds me of my experiences as a child. But a child watching this will be having those experiences now, making it more visceral. However, this movie does have curses in it, so please be advised if you plan on taking the family. Don't go into this movie thinking it's exactly a new E.T. for this generation, like some have been saying, in terms of the language. I have no problem with the language; I'm just saying be weary if you take a child.

I would see it again, which indicates it was a good film. Classic? Now now, but it will be in the future, in the same way that others look at American Graffiti, The Diner, Stand By Me, The Outsiders, My Girl, basically any Coming-Of-Age film about a bunch of kids who grow up quickly, tackling and conquering mature issues while the adults take the backseat.
  68. Jun 10, 2011
    It may evoke memories of classic summer blockbusters a little too eagerly for some, but Super 8 has thrills, visual dazzle, and emotional depth to spare.
  69. Jun 12, 2011
    Excellent . It seems that those that are givign it bad reviews may not have left the theatre before the credits were done. The whole story comes together in the end. I say no more.....
  70. Jun 14, 2011
    "Yikes. This movie's kind of a mess. I was looking forward to it, and halfway through started to wonder why I was bored. There's very little actual suspense. Just a few loud scares. I appreciated the casting of the kids (particularly braces-firecrackers kid), and their early bantering scenes felt real. El Fanning's face will melt your adolescent heart. Certain moments gave me small chills, but mostly just hinted at the more fully realized movie that this could have been. Kyle Chandler is wasted on an underdeveloped father figure. The beautifully-shot final moment involving the locket would have been more resonant if the story / characters had actually built towards it - as in the the father/son actually learn to understand each other and come to terms with the mother's passing. Instead, Chandler's character just says "I got you!" at the end, semi-randomly. The only other Abrams vehicle I've seen was Star Trek two summers ago - and that was smart, slick, breezy fun compared to this. I just can't fathom that Spielberg was standing around on set or watching an early cut thinking, "Oh yeah. This is great. It's all working." P.S. - only laugh line: "I could get back into disco."" Expand
  71. Jun 17, 2011
    I was expecting much more from Super 8, primarily due to the fact that it is an Abrams and Spielberg film. Hoping that there would at least be some originality worth noting to the film, I was left fairly disappointed. A large number of science-fiction clichés were incorporated with what felt like little shame. The positives would have to be the loose moral message of the film and the ending, which I will not discuss. It is easy to understand what was trying to be achieved with this film, and its similarities to E.T. and The Goonies, but it just did not come through. A rather outdone concept is probably the overlying reason behind the mediocre impression I was given. This film is not particularly worth seeing. Expand
  72. Jun 18, 2011
    This movie is all character development. by the end of the film you are so attached to the characters you don't want the movie to end. Best summer blockbuster so far
  73. Jun 24, 2011
    DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU PLAN ON GOING TO SEE SUPER 8 !!!!!!!!!
    BUT, COME BACK AND READ IT AFTER YOU SEE THE MOVIE.

I can't believe that I just watched the same Super 8 that all the other people who wrote reviews about this movie watched. This was the worst movie that I have seen since Bobby Deerfield ! Abrams would have done better making a movie about a chain of motels.First, how the
    hell does the teacher survive a head on collision with a mega-ton , high speed train and come away with just some facial cuts ????? WTF. Then, can anybody explain to me why and/or how the deputy sheriffs wife died and why did the young girls Dad feel guilty about it? From here (about 7-8 minutes into the movie) , it got more absurd. The alien, referred to as HE, goes through the better part of the flick tossing cars, trucks , stoves , busses and whatever around like he's flipping pancakes, but at the used car lot, he meticulously removes all the engines from all the cars without not even putting a scratch on any of the cars. Now, throughout the movie, HE, collects some humans and stores them upside down in his batcave or whatever you want to call it, for what reason?? Never explained! I just read a review where the reviewer had commented on the " Teary-Eyed Ending".......ARE YOU F*****G SH*****G ME ??????? I felt more sympathy for Momma Alien when Sigourney dispatched her permanently. And as far as the ENDING ending......PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ. HE, either magnetically or telepathically sucks up cars, trucks, rifles , stoves and the like to form what is supposed to be his escape ship. But, some of the soldiers still had their rifles and amidst this sucking up of everything metallic in sight, the deputy sheriff pulls up in a Jeep that for some strange reason must have been sprinkled with some magic military dust, because it was not affected by this magnetic sucking upness. I don't know, maybe I should have burned one before I watched this piece of utter trash. I left with the feeling that my intelligence was questioned. 100% disappointed. Expand
  74. Jul 27, 2011
    This movie was perfect till the end. A glowing front story accompanied by a compelling back story. It was well acted, well filmed, well casted, and the script was flawless. It is 100% worth seeing, and expect a solid conclusion, even if it is lacking.
  75. Aug 6, 2011
    If you ever watched a film as a child and it filled you with wonder and amazement then this film is for you. It tips it's hat to so many universally loved films while still carving out it's own unique identity and if you have a soul you will be left with the feeling that you have just watched something great.
  76. Aug 8, 2011
    Super 8 is a full movie. This film develops themes about family, friends, besides being funny and entertaining. An excellent story and stunning special effects. Simply the best movie of the summer.
  77. Sep 17, 2011
    I cannot tell if this film is a beautiful homage to the films of Spielberg or a film that stands on its on, a fully original entity which could stand up to Spielberg's films in a fight for the top spot. On the one hand, Super 8 (Directed by JJ Abrams) is so engrossing as a window into a mourning town but it also tells a thrilling coming of age tale because of its extremely talented group of actors. Elle Fanning's character is like an onion, with so many layers to her character helping the viewer to feel with her, that when you are finished peeling you are crying like a baby. Sure there is a science fiction element that harks back to Spielberg but its execution is to embrace what made those films so imaginative and use it to improve the experience, embracing the sense of wonder that Spielberg film did. The ending is the major payoff with a beautiful finale with an awe inspiring set piece, rousing music and a great sense of forgiveness and amazement. Expand
  78. Jul 30, 2013
    There are moments of genius, spectacle and visually stunning set pieces that deserve nothing but admiration for the scope and vision of J.J. Abrams in his highly secretive 'Super 8', a film that has flashes of of the science fiction favourites we came to love, E.T. being the one that comes to mind. Its a homage of sorts that messes with the things that go bump in the night scenario, but adds in a pack of excellent performances from a child cast that push the film to be character-driven piece, where the actors make the film. Joel Courtney makes a commanding debut as the young kid Joel, who helps his friends film near a train station, where they witness a massive train crash which isn't everything it seems to be.
    As the rest of their town suffer the repercussions of this irregular crash, Joel and his friends wonder what exactly happened and why the strange anomalies that occur afterwards are in place. From start to finish its clear the eye that Abrams has for detail and awe, his nostalgic bows to the Spielberg era of science-fiction aren't subtle, with various nods here and their to plot devices used in the past by Spielberg, such similarities that lead to an ending which feels very forced and typical to suit those who remember those films of the past, while there is emotional depth to the final moments, it just happened too quickly.
    The redeeming feature of the extra-terrestrial adventure is the "precious cargo" itself, something we rarely see throughout the film, but we have the feeling it is there, through clever uses of editing and the panic on its unfortunate victims. The train mentioned earlier is one of the best highlights and most impressive feats of the film, with an added dose of miraculous explosions to pay homage to the films of yesteryear. But these feats couldn't be truly accomplished with the impressive turns of the relatively young cast, who show true quality and bring real depth and charisma to their performances, much like The Goonies, they have their own traits and personalities that contribute towards their group.
    A masterful piece of filmmaking that takes off running but ultimately begins to unravel as the closing moments are rushed and forced to be accepted, but excellent performances and some stunning visuals make Super 8 and unmissable and nostalgic trip.
  79. Nov 29, 2011
    Full of wonder, excitement, feeling, tension, first love, doing the right thing, opposing our parents and everything that goes with the imagination we had as children. It's great to see that some adults still have it and can share it with us. Thanks team!
  80. Dec 13, 2011
    Super 8 defined a generation, just like the Goonies did back in the 1980's. J.J. Abrams' vision of childhood dreams and growing up, along with the sci-fi touch from Steven Spielberg, made this movie what it was. The acting was good for their first film, the directing was incredible, and the story was touching. If you are looking for a movie with laughs, tears, action, and suspense, welcome to Super 8 Expand
  81. Dec 28, 2012
    While nothing about the film really sticks out, It's a rather solid movie overall and I enjoyed watching it. The story was interesting and the acting was solid as well. I think lack of memorable scenes and a lackluster ending hurt the overall value of the film quite a bit. Still, It's worth checking out.
  82. Jul 18, 2012
    Super 8 is brilliant, it's just so good! How could anyone not like it, it's got a spectacular, interesting and thought out well plot, good acting, good character building, cool and different aliens and really exciting and tense action sequences. Why have so many people given this movie a five or lower, I just don't get it. It's very original and it's very clever and well made. I truly recommend this film to you if you haven't seen it already. I had a choice out of getting transformers: dark of the moon on DVD or this, and I chose this, what a wise choice I made. Expand
  83. Sep 23, 2012
    The best movie Steven Spielberg has made since "Jurassic Park". Super 8 was an amazing adventure with a revolutionary plot, great action, and some really good characters, even if they are children. Super 8 was a great adventure, like "ET" mixed with "Alien".
  84. Jan 4, 2013
    This movie's story is absolutely brilliant, the characters are played so well, and the atmosphere is so overwhelming that it sucks you into the movie, making sure not to let you go until the end
  85. Dec 8, 2012
    1. Take The Goonies, Stand by Me, E.T., Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds and Close Encounter of the Third Kind
    2. Stir, don't shake
    Voilà! Don't complain if you get sick with that very bad drink.
  86. Jan 23, 2013
    Fantastic movie following a group of kids making a movie that gets interrupted when a train crashes in their town carrying some rather suspicious cargo. The young talented cast are all great but its the creative idea and two brilliant minds (Abrams & Spielberg) put together that make this an amazing film. The train crash scene alone is just spectacular but the final few scenes are also just amazing. Overall a stand-out film from 2011 and one of my favourites for this genre. Expand
  87. Nov 7, 2011
    There are many parallels one can draw between "Super 8" and Spielberg's last attempt at alien sci-fi films, "War of the Worlds." That being said, "Super 8" is not quite as good as the War, but it is still a rather decent film. The story is interesting enough, but rather predictable. My biggest problem with the film was the amount of cheese (aka cheesiness/cliché) that Spielberg and Abrams managed to instil into the film. It is so over-the-top that I could not believe it. The last scene was especially disgusting, just like the last scene of "War of the Worlds." That seems to be a critical flaw with me and Spielberg - he has been managing to screw up the last scene in his last couple of films, and it's always extremely annoying. Nonetheless, there are good aspects to the film (hence the 6, no?)! The acting is very good when it comes to the children actors - very convincing and very engaging. Adults - not quite so much, but still decent enough for this kind of film. The cinematography was nice at times, with very nice colours and tones they've used with their lenses. Cinematography as in technique of filming - bad. I am not quite sure how I feel about the film overall. Yes, it's good enough to get a positive review, that is for sure. But there are so many annoying things about it that one's left wondering when will Spielberg finally get his act back together and make some serious films again? Until then, this will have to work, I guess... Expand
  88. Dec 28, 2011
    I loved everything about this movie. Great characters, great story, great visuals. And I know it sounds corny, but it really did remind me of the first time I watched ET when I was a kid. Definitely don't miss this one.
  89. Aug 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. She believes him, but it's a school day, so "no T.V." the mother warns Elliott, who fakes being sick in order to stay home with the alien. Unbeknownst to Mary, whose husband had just recently bailed on her and their three children for sunny Mexico and another woman, there exists a subconscious reason as to why she forbids her son from watching television. Slowly but surely, she's turning into something else, something other than a mother. Later in "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial", Mary is in the kitchen with her daughter, unpacking the groceries while E.T., whom the mother presumes to be Gertie's imaginary friend, constantly avoids her notice, in spite of the little girl's vociferations. The domestic scene, on one level, is all about comic timing: the alien who wobbles right pass Mary while she's busy putting food away in the refrigerator, but "Super 8", with its subordinate homage to George Romero, coaxes out another level, which brings to mind the moment in his 1978 shocker "Dawn of the Dead", where the living dead traverse a parking lot as they make their descent upon a shopping mall, because, as one character observes, these non-people harbor memories still of what it meant to be alive. Just like these catatonic consumers who know the words but not the music of being human, Mary can't see E.T. because she's among the living dead(her philandering husband killed the old Mary), and is only going through the motions of being a mother. Suburban life has zombified her, exasperated by sexual displacement and the television(which just happens to be on at the time), the same factors that drains all the life out of socialite Cary Scott in "All That Heaven Allows", the 1956 melodrama that stealthily informs the Spielberg film, in which the genre-inspired dialectic is fully intergrated, narrative-wise, and not partitioned off as the film-within-the-film in "Super 8". Whereas Mary has a divorce impending, Cary(the names rhyme) is a widow, but both women are clearly one and the same, in regard to their negotiation between being a mother and a sexual being. In the Sirk film, Cary, dressed provocatively in a red dress at a get-together among the affluent, causes one partygoer to comment, "It's indecent to have two children and look as young as you do," while in E.T., Mary, who is acting as hostess to a party for Michael and his buddies, shimmies around in an orange kimono, enticing one of the boys to inch his extended finger toward her extended butt while she tends to the food. The gesture mirrors the one that E.T. uses to heal Elliott's finger, but that's not the sort of healing Mary needs, and certainly, Michael's friend is too young to provide it. For Halloween, Mary wears a cat suit, which would probably cause Cary's son to exclaim, "Holy cats, mother!"(his reaction to the red dress) and Cary's daughter to expound: "When we reach a certain age, sex becomes incongruous." In the absence of a man, Mary unconsciously flirts with Michael's friends because she needs to feel desirable again. They're about fifteen years her junior, the same chronological distance that exists between Cary and Kirby, the gardener who could rescue the widow from the zombie circuit of the Connecticut suburbs. A zombie, however, is what Cary's children feel comfortable with, so when they chase Kirby away, they buy their mother a sort of surrogate lover, a television set("the world's parade at your FINGERTIPS"), to keep her company. Conversely, it's the zombies themselves who come for Mary in the form of D.C. men outfitted in astronaut suits, invading the house "Night of the Living Dead"-style. Near the man crashing through the window blinds, the moviegoer pays special attention to the train-set moving along the circular track, an object suddenly foregrounded through its life-sized counterpart that the kids use in "The Case"(the zombie movie), forcing in the moviegoer a rethink of the way Spielberg portrays the suburbs in "E.T." as the golden wonderland of yesteryear, by its association with the darker "Super 8" where an entire subdivision is used as the setting for a war between the government and the alien, in which the whole neighborhood gets pounded good. In the Spielberg film, a government agent tells Elliott, "I'm glad he met you first," because had E.T. met the same fate as Aqua(who makes first contact with the millitary), "Super 8" suggests that bedlam would likely have followed. E.T. is good because Elliott is good; his telekinetic powers, at the employ of benevolence, could easily have turned Carrie-like if threatened, as is the case with Aqua, who grows up in government captivity. "Super 8" makes us realize that Elliott's friend, likewise, had the potential to kill. As suggested by the period setting of "The Case"(Charles has his leading man wear a fedora and trenchcoat), the children reject the notion that they're living in a golden age(ala "Midnight in Paris"). Expand
  90. Aug 20, 2012
    I remember the Trailer for this film and it made no sense at all. so did not wase my money at the movie theater on some thing that could be as dumb as colvefield was. Rented this when it came out and it tried hard to be that magical 80s film like E.T. was infcact its even set in the 80s . unfortunitly it never really gets there though the acting is solid , epecially from the kids. The other problem i have is the over all plot is just so slow to move any where and it also goes back to never showing you the creature till the last 15 minutes of the movie but even then its when its dark out and the creature is black and HORRABLY shown to where you never get a decent look at it. It in the end just felt lackluster though i would not say a bad movie. Expand
  91. Jul 17, 2011
    Well-cast, well-written, fast-paced, well-directed, exciting, fun, believably unbelievable. A great effort, well worth a $9 ticket. The Air Force 'bad guys' get their come-uppance, fathers become closer to their children, young heroes discover their strengths. What's not to like?
  92. Jul 21, 2012
    Right from the beginning watching the movie, "ET" flashed in my mind. I loved watching ET and I think there are some similarities in this movie. Most of the films of Steven Spielberg have "substance" and a "message" often a moral one that we all can learn from. The effects of the movie of course were also fantastic. A great movie, fun to watch and some good lessons to learn as well.
  93. Feb 11, 2013
    Of the JJ Abrahms films I have seen to date this is by far his best. Ok I'm not a fan, but this was ok. I enjoyed it. A little of (producer) Steven Speilberg's classic juxtaposition of the domestic-suburban with the supernatural. Kinda two movies smooshed into one, but still an enjoyable watch.
  94. Dec 29, 2011
    Disappointing, especially since I chose to watch based on mostly high marks from crtics. Anne Hornaday for the Washington Post had it about right in her review. Started out promisingly enough. Final thoughts: dialog bad;, character development weak; the alien embarrassingly bad; and a movie pubescent boys might like. Glad I rented DVD and not paid for ticket or bought DVD.
  95. Jun 12, 2011
    Super 8 is jam-packed with dazzling visual effects, good acting, great sets, and many throwbacks to Speilberg's earlier films. That said, Super 8 isn't perfect and has a few problems I didn't manage to overlook. Any person in film or theater knows that tone is one of the most important parts to any production, but Super 8 seems unsure of itself and keeps changing the tone from horror to magical. Moving on, Super 8 is entertaining, and that's the most important part of this review. It's the first good film of the summer and one of the first summer blockbusters I've liked in years. Expand
  96. Sep 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. â Expand
  97. Jun 28, 2011
    An entertaining movie, I thought it was a great performance by the young actors compared to other movies i've seen. I really enjoyed the first 1/2 of the movie until it began to focus more on the creature and the story became thinner until presented with the predictable and sappy ending. I left with a feeling that it could have been much better, but it was still worth seeing.
  98. Nov 24, 2011
    Super 8 shines because of the action sequences (if that is your style) and the talent of the actors. However, it falters from the story or shall I say stories. They literally pushed like 3 mini stories into the movie. And of course, the one that takes center stage is probably the most absurd out of the three. Props to the actors for working with this story, it was still an amazing movie to see. Expand
  99. Jun 20, 2011
    Although it ended up being another Spielberg alien flick, it took a different route and course to get there. That made it more interesting and more enjoyable. I was never bored except for the Spielberg ending which I anticipated. This is one of the better summer escape movies. Better than X-Men.
  100. Jun 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is the obsession with J.J. Abrams? The majority of his movies good then he add elements that taint the experience as a whole. Like eating an omelet and biting into an eggshell. The overuse of lens flares boarded on annoying and the attempt at the end to make you feel sorry for the creature and happy that it was finally able to go home was like trying to make you feel sorry for someone who abuses their spouse. The thing was eating a human leg and had other innocent people hung up for snacks when it got hungry. I mean come on. If I was stranded on a planet where intelligent cows dominated, I think it would be a bad move, diplomatically to start killing them because I was hungry for a cheeseburger. And don't say, "maybe it wasn't smart enough to think of that", it was smart enough to rebuild it's space ship.

Someone needs to tell J.J. that plot holes are the "eggshell" in the "omelet".

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jul 31, 2011
    It's nowhere close to "E. T." - what is? - but amongst the hullabaloo of summer, Super 8 is something to cherish: a beautifully made homage to better times, and better movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 10, 2011
    If Abrams had stuck with the kids and cut way back on all the sci-fi hoo-ha, his film might have stood a fighting chance of being charming. Big is not always better, even when it comes to fantasies.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 10, 2011
    Super 8 is in many ways a perfect summer movie: smart, exciting, heartfelt, and suffused with nostalgia.