7.3

1. Jun 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the last Spielberg movie I will go to see based on his name alone, last one before this was Indiana Jones 4 which was a total disaster. This movie starts out promising but then falls apart completely by the end. The main problem with the movie is that the monster has no purpose what-so-ever in the story and the film would have been great if it was just about the father son trying to find peace after the death of the mother in addition to the son coming of age with the girl and his friends by shooting a super 8 movie. That part of the movie is good, then the monster appears and not only destroys half of the town, but it goes one step further and destroys the film too. The monster is just stupid; it's not interesting and there's really nothing in the storyline of the monster that hasn't been done before. It's basically bits and pieces of other - better - movies that have already been released. The movie falls apart because for almost 3/4 of the film the monster is just background noise between the scene of the boy and girl, and his friends, all of which are interesting. Then at the end of the film these stories are abandoned completely and the monster's story - which sucks - is wrapped up in to a cgi blastoff which ends the film.

Let's recap:

Father and Son grieving after loss of the mother, the father is distant from his son. Climax: Father and Son hug at the end of the film. No talking about all of the previous stuff, just a hug.

Son & Girl(friend) awkward relationship that blossoms in to...
    Climax: nothing...

Monster & Military - The monster is captured, tortured and then escapes but not after killing innocent people and then being helped to escape by the kids who are scared to death of it the entire film, but then suddenly decide to help it. Which escapes in a space ship which it builds out of regular everyday items from 1979 which some how selectively magnetize themselves to the watertower (never explained, it sounds ridiculous writing this out) and then can summons thousands of minature cubs in to a ship which just suddenly appears for no reason. There is never an explanation as to how the monster suddently fixes his ship at the end. T

Super 8 Movie - The kids are shooting this zombie film the entire god damn movie and it just becomes irrelevant at the end. You would think they would at least play the final cut during the credits or something, but no... nothing.

Group of friends: The entire movie the son is running around with his four friends but at the end each ot these friends gets cut from the ending, there is no closure on any of their stories.
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    Super 8 is one of those movies that seem very promising at the beginning and are a total disappointment at the end. The start of the plot is very attractive and has a mysterious aura that surrounds it; and this feeling of understanding nothing gives the movie an expressionist atmosphere. So is a challenge to solve the problem and connect all the clues. Among the details are reveled, youSuper 8 is one of those movies that seem very promising at the beginning and are a total disappointment at the end. The start of the plot is very attractive and has a mysterious aura that surrounds it; and this feeling of understanding nothing gives the movie an expressionist atmosphere. So is a challenge to solve the problem and connect all the clues. Among the details are reveled, you start perceiving a huge conflict that involves the humankind, worthy of the greatest masters of cinema. This wide situation never stops caring about little human issues; in Super 8 the children are anxious to create a short film, no mattering what they have to do and when the accident occur they take it as a production value, totally delightful.
    All of the above suggest an epic ending, but there was no way that J.J. Abrams could have done it worst. This finale is like the queen of cheap sentimentalism, with a weak screenplay, poor performances and an awful direction; this is an ultimate piece of crap.
  3. Jun 13, 2011
    OK I was all hyped up to go see this only to be let down. It was slow from the beginning than the train wreck. This movie reminded me of E.T. with the ending and all. Not to original. A lot of cursing by the kids which in my opinion was unnecessary. I thought the X-Men movie was waaaay better. Not very original. Don't was your money on this one, wait for it on DVD. I have no idea what theOK I was all hyped up to go see this only to be let down. It was slow from the beginning than the train wreck. This movie reminded me of E.T. with the ending and all. Not to original. A lot of cursing by the kids which in my opinion was unnecessary. I thought the X-Men movie was waaaay better. Not very original. Don't was your money on this one, wait for it on DVD. I have no idea what the critics were talking about. Expand
  4. Jun 17, 2011
    I was expecting much more from Super 8, primarily due to the fact that it is an Abrams and Spielberg film. Hoping that there would at least be some originality worth noting to the film, I was left fairly disappointed. A large number of science-fiction clichés were incorporated with what felt like little shame. The positives would have to be the loose moral message of the filmI was expecting much more from Super 8, primarily due to the fact that it is an Abrams and Spielberg film. Hoping that there would at least be some originality worth noting to the film, I was left fairly disappointed. A large number of science-fiction clichés were incorporated with what felt like little shame. The positives would have to be the loose moral message of the film and the ending, which I will not discuss. It is easy to understand what was trying to be achieved with this film, and its similarities to E.T. and The Goonies, but it just did not come through. A rather outdone concept is probably the overlying reason behind the mediocre impression I was given. This film is not particularly worth seeing. Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2011
    This movie could have been so much more. It had the feeling of an old Spielberg summer flick. It had good characters and at least some character development. It had child actors that didn't make me cringe every time they spoke. It had halfway decent dialogue and reasonably good acting. It was the Spielberg-type feeling that kept coming back. It really does feel like it was plucked straightThis movie could have been so much more. It had the feeling of an old Spielberg summer flick. It had good characters and at least some character development. It had child actors that didn't make me cringe every time they spoke. It had halfway decent dialogue and reasonably good acting. It was the Spielberg-type feeling that kept coming back. It really does feel like it was plucked straight out of the era when Spielberg was in his prime. Except for one major detail: the antagonist. The alien/monster was a real let down and left me wondering what exactly was the point of this character? The scenes featuring the alien are by far the weakest of the film. Nearly everything else is pure gold, as far as summer popcorn flicks go. Expand
  6. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am going to try and be concise and keep it short. This movie hurt my life, my relationship, my wallet, and my brain.

Let's start by analyzing why it hurt my life. When we live, we want pleasure. Sexual, psychological, culinary, we simply want things that fulfill our needs and hopefully give us a little of what we want as well. As far as movies go, we want something wonderful, entertaining, fun, original, and skillful. Without those five things, I can't imagine someone enjoying a movie. This movie gave us none of those things. It was two hours of low-level suspense with children acting scared, excited, and adventurous. This movie was constantly loud, muddling any chance of becoming engrossed in its story or characters.

What was so endearing about the characters? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There is no development at all. One has a mother who died, wow, now we care about him! One has braces and likes fireworks, what an interesting character! One's a fat director, oh wow, that's truly something special! Nothing about the cast works. It's one thing to pay homage to someone (in this case, Steven Spielberg), but it's another to just mish-mash everything you've seen together into one movie and hope for the best.

How did the movie hurt my relationship? It put me in a bad mood. After two hours of watching mind-numbing acting and a horrible story about a murderous alien who kills off people while building his spaceship, I was drained and unable to relate the way I normally do with my girlfriend. Rarely does a movie suck the life out of me like this. This alone should indicate that this film is trash, life-sucking trash.

How did it hurt my wallet? Movies never make me think about the ten dollars I just spent on them. Even if it's just a fun comedy like The Hangover 2, I don't mind shelling out hard-earned money to see it. This movie made me remember that I had used money for it. That and the gas to go see it (easily two dollars worth of gas). What movie makes someone remember that money was taken from them? This one.

Now, the most beautiful part, how the movie hurt my mind. At the end of the movie, roughly five people started clapping. I believe three of them were over-weight, Hispanic women, and the others I couldn't locate in the theater. I was thoroughly confused, beyond any confusion I've ever felt in my life before. I'm twenty-eight and I've seen a lot of things, this clapping phenomenon was one of the more bizarre. Why were they clapping? This wasn't sarcastic clapping, either, that I would've detected immediately and joined in on. This was genuine, "this movie was extremely good" clapping. What on Earth? Were they happy the alien had finally escaped Earth? Why were they happy for this alien who had killed several human beings? Were they happy for the town who now was free of a deadly alien who kept stealing their car engines and making their dogs run away from home? My god, why were they happy? People who watch "Lost" are possibly so enamored with the TV show that they force themselves to love this movie. Or maybe people who love Star Wars are so enamored with it that they force themselves to love this movie. I don't know what it is or what it was, but as an objective human being, this movie was trash. I suppose my biggest mistake was seeing the film at all -- especially having the ability to read about it beforehand, which I didn't. The movie must be more geared towards the 10-to-15-year-old crowd. Being over the age of 18 will not help you enjoy this film, I'll warn you now. Stay as far away from this film as possible, it can only hurt you.
  7. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cloverfield meets ET meets Friday Night Lights. Not a big disappointment, but also formulaic (lots of teasers re: actually seeing the "monster.") Most of the kids did a good job, but Elle Fanning is badly miscast.

And I want the lipstick franchise.
  8. Jun 13, 2011
    This creative coalition between J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg feels like several movies we've seen before. A group of kids is making their own movie (be sure to stay thru the credits to see the result) and they happen to witness the escape ofâ
  9. Jun 12, 2011
    What a strange movie to review. It was really two movies in one. The first was a fantastic Stand By Me-esque kids bonding adventure. The second was an appalling and brain melting action movie a-la Transformers 2. The two were completely incongruous with the second completely destroying the first. The first half of the movie would be a solid 8-9 out of ten with some great acting by the kidsWhat a strange movie to review. It was really two movies in one. The first was a fantastic Stand By Me-esque kids bonding adventure. The second was an appalling and brain melting action movie a-la Transformers 2. The two were completely incongruous with the second completely destroying the first. The first half of the movie would be a solid 8-9 out of ten with some great acting by the kids and a really absorbing story to boot. The film, like the train within it, became so totally derailed by about the midway point that it undid all of it's previous groundwork. Expand
  10. Nov 7, 2011
    There are many parallels one can draw between "Super 8" and Spielberg's last attempt at alien sci-fi films, "War of the Worlds." That being said, "Super 8" is not quite as good as the War, but it is still a rather decent film. The story is interesting enough, but rather predictable. My biggest problem with the film was the amount of cheese (aka cheesiness/cliché) thatThere are many parallels one can draw between "Super 8" and Spielberg's last attempt at alien sci-fi films, "War of the Worlds." That being said, "Super 8" is not quite as good as the War, but it is still a rather decent film. The story is interesting enough, but rather predictable. My biggest problem with the film was the amount of cheese (aka cheesiness/cliché) that Spielberg and Abrams managed to instil into the film. It is so over-the-top that I could not believe it. The last scene was especially disgusting, just like the last scene of "War of the Worlds." That seems to be a critical flaw with me and Spielberg - he has been managing to screw up the last scene in his last couple of films, and it's always extremely annoying. Nonetheless, there are good aspects to the film (hence the 6, no?)! The acting is very good when it comes to the children actors - very convincing and very engaging. Adults - not quite so much, but still decent enough for this kind of film. The cinematography was nice at times, with very nice colours and tones they've used with their lenses. Cinematography as in technique of filming - bad. I am not quite sure how I feel about the film overall. Yes, it's good enough to get a positive review, that is for sure. But there are so many annoying things about it that one's left wondering when will Spielberg finally get his act back together and make some serious films again? Until then, this will have to work, I guess... Expand
  11. Sep 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. â Expand
  12. Jun 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is the obsession with J.J. Abrams? The majority of his movies good then he add elements that taint the experience as a whole. Like eating an omelet and biting into an eggshell. The overuse of lens flares boarded on annoying and the attempt at the end to make you feel sorry for the creature and happy that it was finally able to go home was like trying to make you feel sorry for someone who abuses their spouse. The thing was eating a human leg and had other innocent people hung up for snacks when it got hungry. I mean come on. If I was stranded on a planet where intelligent cows dominated, I think it would be a bad move, diplomatically to start killing them because I was hungry for a cheeseburger. And don't say, "maybe it wasn't smart enough to think of that", it was smart enough to rebuild it's space ship.

Someone needs to tell J.J. that plot holes are the "eggshell" in the "omelet".
  13. Jun 11, 2011
    Super 8 was indeed a good movie, however, I do not feel it deserved the 72 assigned by critics. The movie did not necessarily present any new material, but simply old concepts and ideas we've seen implemented in other movies rehashed into this feature. Furthermore, I feel the movie dwelled too much on the "movie-making" encapsulated plot of the film which did not necessarily add any deeperSuper 8 was indeed a good movie, however, I do not feel it deserved the 72 assigned by critics. The movie did not necessarily present any new material, but simply old concepts and ideas we've seen implemented in other movies rehashed into this feature. Furthermore, I feel the movie dwelled too much on the "movie-making" encapsulated plot of the film which did not necessarily add any deeper meaning or understanding to the movie as a whole. In short, I feel that Super 8 lacked a certain amount of new ideas, direction, and meaning for a movie with such an esteemed score. Personally, I rate this movie a 58/100 Expand
  14. Jun 21, 2011
    A decent film, but I expected more. I have to admit, that the train crash was amazing; however the rest of the film was not. It started out interesting, but after about half an hour it started falling apart. They started out making a cool script, but just decided to remake E.T. I also thought it was going to be scary, it wasn't though. Also, Super 8 is a weak title, considering the film isA decent film, but I expected more. I have to admit, that the train crash was amazing; however the rest of the film was not. It started out interesting, but after about half an hour it started falling apart. They started out making a cool script, but just decided to remake E.T. I also thought it was going to be scary, it wasn't though. Also, Super 8 is a weak title, considering the film is a very small part of the movie. Expand
  15. Jun 2, 2012
    Half way between The Goonies and The Faculty, Super 8 is a mostly tedious slog through the usual Spielberg territory. It's saved from the scrap pile by one or two delightful monster-movie money shots (It's inside the bus!) and a descent final reel, but Super 8 is only inconsistently entertaining at best.
  16. Aug 7, 2011
    Could have been epic but has a terrible, deflating ending that makes you question why you watched the movie at all.
  17. Jun 11, 2011
    It was very underwhelming. The story about the kids filming a zombie movie was more interesting than the main plot. The main plot felt out of place and just overly generic. Oh well.
  18. Jun 20, 2011
    Goonies Part 2 or E.T. part 2. With the tagline "THIS TIME HE'S P.O.'d. It didn't help that I saw it a week after the hype. So I was let down. But let's be honest, everything you see in the previews tells the story. The 70's nostalgic era grows tiresome. FNL's Coach can't save the dragging. And I was just waiting for the chubby kid to do the Truffle Shuffle.

I have to be honest, I

I have to be honest, I have not truly enjoyed a Spielberg movie in a long time...Crystal Skull anybody? This was better than most of his efforts of late. And Abrams is style over substance. Cloverfield was good in the theaters and this movie is like a prequel to that in a way.

This movie grows tiresome. And the ending was awful. I was very let down. Now all that being said, I think this would make a great movie for some kids to cut their sci-fi horror teeth on. It's got some quick easy scares and some fun old time sci-fi ideas.
  19. Aug 20, 2012
    I remember the Trailer for this film and it made no sense at all. so did not wase my money at the movie theater on some thing that could be as dumb as colvefield was. Rented this when it came out and it tried hard to be that magical 80s film like E.T. was infcact its even set in the 80s . unfortunitly it never really gets there though the acting is solid , epecially from the kids. TheI remember the Trailer for this film and it made no sense at all. so did not wase my money at the movie theater on some thing that could be as dumb as colvefield was. Rented this when it came out and it tried hard to be that magical 80s film like E.T. was infcact its even set in the 80s . unfortunitly it never really gets there though the acting is solid , epecially from the kids. The other problem i have is the over all plot is just so slow to move any where and it also goes back to never showing you the creature till the last 15 minutes of the movie but even then its when its dark out and the creature is black and HORRABLY shown to where you never get a decent look at it. It in the end just felt lackluster though i would not say a bad movie. Expand
  20. Dec 29, 2011
    Disappointing, especially since I chose to watch based on mostly high marks from crtics. Anne Hornaday for the Washington Post had it about right in her review. Started out promisingly enough. Final thoughts: dialog bad;, character development weak; the alien embarrassingly bad; and a movie pubescent boys might like. Glad I rented DVD and not paid for ticket or bought DVD.
  21. Jun 28, 2011
    An entertaining movie, I thought it was a great performance by the young actors compared to other movies i've seen. I really enjoyed the first 1/2 of the movie until it began to focus more on the creature and the story became thinner until presented with the predictable and sappy ending. I left with a feeling that it could have been much better, but it was still worth seeing.
  22. Jul 17, 2011
    I liked the movie, funny moments, but sometimes I felt like I was watching the movie silly typical of children, if I have to applaud is all you have to do with the creation and arrangement of the sound, very good, Pd: my sister did not like, and Charles is so funny.
  23. Jun 20, 2011
    This is your basic summer monster movie. A little better than average, but not by much. It borrows a lot from other films of the genre and there is really nothing original here. The plot is simplistic and full of holes and inconsistencies. Special effects and CGI are on par with similar films. I'm not saying its a bad movies, it's just not very good and certainly does not live up to the hype.
  24. Jul 8, 2011
    This movie promised to be a suspenseful, wacky, and exciting hit due to the powerhouse combination of Abrams/Spielberg, and then it went and proved us wrong. I wish I could go as far as to say that the movie was at least fun, but it wasn't. The action, plot, and story felt like something we've all seen a hundred times, and the action was dull (to put it nicely). A serious disappointment.
  25. Jun 28, 2011
    The first half is wonderful, evocative of works by Stephen King, Steven Spielberg and Ray Bradbury. Then the second half goes right in the dumper. The story kicks in and you can't wait for the thing to be over. I really wanted to like this movie --actually I did for about 45 minutes. So I can only score Super 8 as I did. One half of a success.
  26. GMU
    Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film looked like one to look forward to for 2011, being one of very few superbowl ads that was actually exciting to watch. But like his previous film, Star Trek (2009) it failed to live up to personal hype. (I know it was a teaser trailer, but how could you not be pumped?; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR6ALzHQA2k&hd=1) Super 8 was pleasing until it became more and more involved with the disappointing monster creature that had the predictable conflict of wanting to go home and not being able to due to captivity by humans (free willzyx). The ending was very predictable and it was unfortunate to see such a good setup for a movie go to waste. The setup meaning the characters (aside from Alice's father) and everything up until seeing the monster and later being acquainted with him. The best parts of this movie was the short film shown at the end, and for some reason I can't shake elle's zombie scene out of my head. It brings out my inner child like most of this movie (but more so especially in this scene and in the kids zombie film shown during the credits) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqn3iXUUOz4) Expand
  27. Jun 20, 2011
    Overall, a well presented movie with interesting characters and story which unfortunately suffers from sometimes forced dialogue/humor and trying to cover too much ground.

Super 8 is a movie which tries to do a lot of things and please a wide spectrum of audience. In short, it's a summer movie with the mystery and suspense of aliens and military cover ups, a coming of age story, and a single parent raising a child solo. The movie balances all these elements without falling short in terms of presentation or pace, but the overall narrative ends up with a few holes in it, namely the scenes involving the alien. These scenes are by far the weakest in the film. Part way through, the movie reveals the alien's motivations, and shortly after, subsequent scenes seem to conflict with these motives or offer no explanation for their occurrence. The scenes with the middle school kids and their summer escapades showcase some of the most well written scenes in the movie, however at times the children's dialogue and humor either feels forced or simply sounds strange coming out of the mouth of a child. In other words, the children sometimes speak as no child their age would speak and act with an air of adult maturity I've yet to see a junior high student possess. Additionally, the children's humorous dialogue unfortunately works against many of the scenes in the latter portions of the film shattering to pieces any sense of suspense or danger those scenes attempt to instill.

Super 8 is a well packaged and presented film whose minor short comings might irritate some movie goers enough to make them wonder if this is just a remake of E.T. with a less friendly alien.
  28. Jun 15, 2011
    Writer/Director/Producer JJ Abramas is one of film and televisions hottest talents. With credits that include Lost, Fringe, Alias, â
  29. Jan 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Entertaining. The special effects are a bit old now. The story line is a bit... hm, old too. I would recommend the Iron Giant. Animated but, far better. Expand
  30. Jul 17, 2011
    Super 8 is a half good movie, more good than bad but despite having some charm, is bogged down with issues and a story that feels disjointed with awkward unrelated subplots. In the end why this movie needed a monster/alien is puzzling to me as it only seems to be shoved in so the movie can claim to be a 'homage to Spielberg movies', the movie is named after the alien but the alien to SuperSuper 8 is a half good movie, more good than bad but despite having some charm, is bogged down with issues and a story that feels disjointed with awkward unrelated subplots. In the end why this movie needed a monster/alien is puzzling to me as it only seems to be shoved in so the movie can claim to be a 'homage to Spielberg movies', the movie is named after the alien but the alien to Super 8s story was unnecessary! I did enjoy the story of the young kids making a movie, but the forced alien plot was fairly forgettable and pointless. Super was only ok, I wanted to like it more however its issues pull it short of a good movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jul 31, 2011
    It's nowhere close to "E. T." - what is? - but amongst the hullabaloo of summer, Super 8 is something to cherish: a beautifully made homage to better times, and better movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 10, 2011
    If Abrams had stuck with the kids and cut way back on all the sci-fi hoo-ha, his film might have stood a fighting chance of being charming. Big is not always better, even when it comes to fantasies.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 10, 2011
    Super 8 is in many ways a perfect summer movie: smart, exciting, heartfelt, and suffused with nostalgia.