7.3

1. Sep 20, 2014
    THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER. This is an absolutely superb movie. Never before or since have I seen such a masterpiece. The story is engaging, the acting is fantastic, the action is enthralling, and the special effects are amazing. The protagonist is relatable, the antagonist is hatable, and all of the side characters are funny and supportive. There are even a few jump scares in there that willTHE GREATEST MOVIE EVER. This is an absolutely superb movie. Never before or since have I seen such a masterpiece. The story is engaging, the acting is fantastic, the action is enthralling, and the special effects are amazing. The protagonist is relatable, the antagonist is hatable, and all of the side characters are funny and supportive. There are even a few jump scares in there that will get you the first time around. I have literally nothing bad to say about this movie. WATCH IT, or your life will never be complete! Expand
  2. Apr 23, 2014
    Super 8 is a well-balanced blend of humor, heart, and wit to create a great sci-fi adventure for audiences everywhere to enjoy. It's visual dazzling, and the main protagonist kids are excellent. Many memories of former classic movies will come to mind while watching this one; it's just that good.
  3. Nov 7, 2013
    My favorite movie of all time, "Super 8" is a perfect coming-of-age film with a science fiction twist. I identified with all of the characters, especially the alien Cooper, who is also my favorite character of all time. If anyone said something about this movie to me, I would hurt them terribly.
  4. Jul 30, 2013
    There are moments of genius, spectacle and visually stunning set pieces that deserve nothing but admiration for the scope and vision of J.J. Abrams in his highly secretive 'Super 8', a film that has flashes of of the science fiction favourites we came to love, E.T. being the one that comes to mind. Its a homage of sorts that messes with the things that go bump in the night scenario, butThere are moments of genius, spectacle and visually stunning set pieces that deserve nothing but admiration for the scope and vision of J.J. Abrams in his highly secretive 'Super 8', a film that has flashes of of the science fiction favourites we came to love, E.T. being the one that comes to mind. Its a homage of sorts that messes with the things that go bump in the night scenario, but adds in a pack of excellent performances from a child cast that push the film to be character-driven piece, where the actors make the film. Joel Courtney makes a commanding debut as the young kid Joel, who helps his friends film near a train station, where they witness a massive train crash which isn't everything it seems to be.
    As the rest of their town suffer the repercussions of this irregular crash, Joel and his friends wonder what exactly happened and why the strange anomalies that occur afterwards are in place. From start to finish its clear the eye that Abrams has for detail and awe, his nostalgic bows to the Spielberg era of science-fiction aren't subtle, with various nods here and their to plot devices used in the past by Spielberg, such similarities that lead to an ending which feels very forced and typical to suit those who remember those films of the past, while there is emotional depth to the final moments, it just happened too quickly.
    The redeeming feature of the extra-terrestrial adventure is the "precious cargo" itself, something we rarely see throughout the film, but we have the feeling it is there, through clever uses of editing and the panic on its unfortunate victims. The train mentioned earlier is one of the best highlights and most impressive feats of the film, with an added dose of miraculous explosions to pay homage to the films of yesteryear. But these feats couldn't be truly accomplished with the impressive turns of the relatively young cast, who show true quality and bring real depth and charisma to their performances, much like The Goonies, they have their own traits and personalities that contribute towards their group.
    A masterful piece of filmmaking that takes off running but ultimately begins to unravel as the closing moments are rushed and forced to be accepted, but excellent performances and some stunning visuals make Super 8 and unmissable and nostalgic trip.
  5. Jul 18, 2013
    This film feels like Spielberg classics 'Close Encounters,' 'E.T.' and 'The Goonies' packed into one. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography and a touching story that can also be quite intensely scary. Overall, it is a very entertaining film.
  6. Jun 20, 2013
    A great sci-fi film mixed with a great coming of age adventure. With J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg together you should expect a film with adventure, amazement, and strong emotion and that is exactly what we get.
  7. Jun 11, 2013
    This is pure entertainment. It was captivating and mysterious. It was fun and adventurous. The acting by the young cast was fantastic and the directing style and script reminded me of what great movies can really achieve.
  8. Apr 22, 2013
    This movie is great. It is a mixture od The Goonies and E.T., but that's not a bad thing. A young boy and his friends who like to hang out with each other and shoot movies end up in a train wreck. They go on a long adventure and discover what is happening. They find out the government's trying to vanquish a giant alien who is starving and is trying to find food. They end up saving theirThis movie is great. It is a mixture od The Goonies and E.T., but that's not a bad thing. A young boy and his friends who like to hang out with each other and shoot movies end up in a train wreck. They go on a long adventure and discover what is happening. They find out the government's trying to vanquish a giant alien who is starving and is trying to find food. They end up saving their friends and getting the alien back home. The boy ends giving up a necklace that was her mother's, giving the story a happy ending and a great moral. This is one of my top 10 movies. 10/10 Expand
  9. Apr 16, 2013
    Really good movie! Great story, action, and characters. The one thing I didn't like was the over use of language, really shouldn't have been that much, other than that nothing else was bad. 9 out of 10!
  10. Feb 16, 2013
    I did not know much about this movie going in, but loved it! It`s like Gonnies but different things going on. I love the characters and story. It was a fun movie to watch!
  11. Jan 23, 2013
    Fantastic movie following a group of kids making a movie that gets interrupted when a train crashes in their town carrying some rather suspicious cargo. The young talented cast are all great but its the creative idea and two brilliant minds (Abrams & Spielberg) put together that make this an amazing film. The train crash scene alone is just spectacular but the final few scenes are alsoFantastic movie following a group of kids making a movie that gets interrupted when a train crashes in their town carrying some rather suspicious cargo. The young talented cast are all great but its the creative idea and two brilliant minds (Abrams & Spielberg) put together that make this an amazing film. The train crash scene alone is just spectacular but the final few scenes are also just amazing. Overall a stand-out film from 2011 and one of my favourites for this genre. Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    "Super 8" is a 2011 film directed by J.J. Abrams and starring Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning. The film follows the story of a group of kids who witness a train crash in the summer of 1979 and investigate the paranormal events of the that it has on this town. Well to be blatantly and frankly honest - I observed almost no problems in this movie whatsoever. The problems that I did observe are"Super 8" is a 2011 film directed by J.J. Abrams and starring Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning. The film follows the story of a group of kids who witness a train crash in the summer of 1979 and investigate the paranormal events of the that it has on this town. Well to be blatantly and frankly honest - I observed almost no problems in this movie whatsoever. The problems that I did observe are so trivial and insignificant that I'm not even going to waste my energy going over them. When I saw previews for this film, I saw that the prominent characters in it were mostly middle schoolers. Now, movies like this can go either one of two ways for me. One - the kids in this movie are so obnoxious as crap I don't even want to watch anymore. Two - the kids in this movie are portrayed in an enjoyable and original manner, that I can find myself relating to wholeheartedly. As you may have guessed the kids in "Super 8" are portrayed in the latter form. I found every child in this movie to be either hilarious or almost hauntingly familiar. In doing this, Abrams excels at portraying all of the interesting feelings and thoughts that go along with being a kid. The set pieces in this film are unbelievably breathtaking. I mean, the train crash in this movie is so astonishing, words can't even do it justice. The soundtrack by Michael Giacchino is incredibly diverse in emotions - it's scary, breathtaking, and thrilling all at once. The film in and of itself is a rollercoaster of emotions too. There were parts in this film where I couldn't stop laughing. Then there were parts where tension drew out like a blade. There were scenes that pulled at my heartstrings. I honestly can't say that for many of the films that have come out this year. All in all, I felt that "Super 8" was an almost relentlessly entertaining thrill ride. I can now see why Steven Spielberg wanted to be attached to this superbly thought out project. Expand
  13. Nov 12, 2012
    A glorious film, excellently acted and with a intreguing story. The train crash is probably the most spectacular explosion in cinema history. Let down slightly by it's ending, but I heartily recomend this as Sci-Fi classic.
  14. Sep 23, 2012
    The best movie Steven Spielberg has made since "Jurassic Park". Super 8 was an amazing adventure with a revolutionary plot, great action, and some really good characters, even if they are children. Super 8 was a great adventure, like "ET" mixed with "Alien".
  15. Jul 18, 2012
    Super 8 is brilliant, it's just so good! How could anyone not like it, it's got a spectacular, interesting and thought out well plot, good acting, good character building, cool and different aliens and really exciting and tense action sequences. Why have so many people given this movie a five or lower, I just don't get it. It's very original and it's very clever and well made. I trulySuper 8 is brilliant, it's just so good! How could anyone not like it, it's got a spectacular, interesting and thought out well plot, good acting, good character building, cool and different aliens and really exciting and tense action sequences. Why have so many people given this movie a five or lower, I just don't get it. It's very original and it's very clever and well made. I truly recommend this film to you if you haven't seen it already. I had a choice out of getting transformers: dark of the moon on DVD or this, and I chose this, what a wise choice I made. Expand
  16. Mar 24, 2012
    Don't be fooled by an almost all kid cast. this movie is not an ordinary monster film. with its terrific directing and visuals you sat in your seat wondering what is this thing. that is what i want from movies. unpredictable moments and Super 8 delievered on exactly that.
  17. Jan 30, 2012
    After watching this movie I can describe it in one word and that word is masterpiece, I was blown away, it's emotional, intense, touching, funny, sweet, and a kinda scary at times, the characters are all very well done and thought out, and the writing is pure genius, I do have one or two complaints but they all seem extremely small in comparison to the overall movie, and it is 100%After watching this movie I can describe it in one word and that word is masterpiece, I was blown away, it's emotional, intense, touching, funny, sweet, and a kinda scary at times, the characters are all very well done and thought out, and the writing is pure genius, I do have one or two complaints but they all seem extremely small in comparison to the overall movie, and it is 100% deserving of a perfect 10, it's very rare that a movie like this one comes out, do yourself a favor and watch it as soon as possible you wont be disappointed. Expand
  18. Jan 17, 2012
    Super 8 reminds us all of the great blockbusters years ago and sadly the bad ones also and it does take a lot of ideas from E.T. Super 8 assembles a very talented young cast and offers thrills, adventure, and just dazzling visual effects. I give this movie 87%.
  19. Dec 30, 2011
    Director J.J. Abrams and Producer Steven Spielberg team up to make "Super 8", a classic alien in a southern and middle of nowhere town movie. And the fact that the main characters are a group of kids who want to make a short film makes it even better. Some parts, like the little kid who keeps saying "mint", may get a little irritating, but that shouldn't detract from the overallDirector J.J. Abrams and Producer Steven Spielberg team up to make "Super 8", a classic alien in a southern and middle of nowhere town movie. And the fact that the main characters are a group of kids who want to make a short film makes it even better. Some parts, like the little kid who keeps saying "mint", may get a little irritating, but that shouldn't detract from the overall outstanding quality of the movie. Expand
  20. Dec 28, 2011
    I loved everything about this movie. Great characters, great story, great visuals. And I know it sounds corny, but it really did remind me of the first time I watched ET when I was a kid. Definitely don't miss this one.
  21. Dec 27, 2011
    Never really had high expectations with Super 8. Ever since I saw the trailer I have almost decided not to watch it thinking that it would just be another blockbuster and quality-deficient. However, I saw the movie this morning and realized how bad my early impressions about it were. The movie had something to offer that I nearly missed. The sound, the visual effects, the story, and ofNever really had high expectations with Super 8. Ever since I saw the trailer I have almost decided not to watch it thinking that it would just be another blockbuster and quality-deficient. However, I saw the movie this morning and realized how bad my early impressions about it were. The movie had something to offer that I nearly missed. The sound, the visual effects, the story, and of course; the kids! They were just amazing! Must see for kids and kids at heart. Had a Good Time!

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  22. Dec 14, 2011
    A wonderful trip back in time to a time when movies had some heart and soul and were more about the characters than the special effects and spectacle. It makes me sad that most of the negative comments below seem to be from people upset that it wasnt another Transformers-esque CGI fest with square jawed marines taking on giant monsters. Unfortunately I guess that is exactly the reasonA wonderful trip back in time to a time when movies had some heart and soul and were more about the characters than the special effects and spectacle. It makes me sad that most of the negative comments below seem to be from people upset that it wasnt another Transformers-esque CGI fest with square jawed marines taking on giant monsters. Unfortunately I guess that is exactly the reason movies like this arent made any more. But thank you JJ, for a modern Amblin classic. Expand
  23. Dec 13, 2011
    Super 8 defined a generation, just like the Goonies did back in the 1980's. J.J. Abrams' vision of childhood dreams and growing up, along with the sci-fi touch from Steven Spielberg, made this movie what it was. The acting was good for their first film, the directing was incredible, and the story was touching. If you are looking for a movie with laughs, tears, action, and suspense, welcomeSuper 8 defined a generation, just like the Goonies did back in the 1980's. J.J. Abrams' vision of childhood dreams and growing up, along with the sci-fi touch from Steven Spielberg, made this movie what it was. The acting was good for their first film, the directing was incredible, and the story was touching. If you are looking for a movie with laughs, tears, action, and suspense, welcome to Super 8 Expand
  24. Nov 29, 2011
    Full of wonder, excitement, feeling, tension, first love, doing the right thing, opposing our parents and everything that goes with the imagination we had as children. It's great to see that some adults still have it and can share it with us. Thanks team!
  25. Nov 7, 2011
    The most interesting and exciting movie of the year. Super 8 deserves five star rating. Why? Because it's impressive, thrills, emotional, sweet, and scary.
  26. Sep 1, 2011
    Brilliant. That's all I would write if I was allowed but thats to short.The movie is great, the actors are great( especially Elle Fanning).Everything about this movie I liked. That should be enough "characters" to submit this review.
  27. Aug 31, 2011
    nice little film this and was pretty much a typical affair from the producer that brought us Cloverfield. It reeks of a bad boy ET towards the later part but for a summer movie its a great piece of entertainment that will try and succeed in making you jump on several occasions. Its just a shame that it gets a little OTT towards the end but overall its defiantly worth a watch and discussionnice little film this and was pretty much a typical affair from the producer that brought us Cloverfield. It reeks of a bad boy ET towards the later part but for a summer movie its a great piece of entertainment that will try and succeed in making you jump on several occasions. Its just a shame that it gets a little OTT towards the end but overall its defiantly worth a watch and discussion afterwards. The effects btw are very nicely put together and the cold war vibe present throughout is great at drawing atmosphere out of what is a rather small setting. Expand
  28. Aug 23, 2011
    L'un des grands maîtres du blockbuster américain, J.J Abrams (Mission : Impossible 3 et Star Trek), nous livre son film personnel, sous la houlette du géant Steven Spielberg. A se demander si ce n'est pas ce dernier qui a réalisé Super 8, tant on ressent la patte du réalisateur. Et pourtant, ce blockbuster estL'un des grands maîtres du blockbuster américain, J.J Abrams (Mission : Impossible 3 et Star Trek), nous livre son film personnel, sous la houlette du géant Steven Spielberg. A se demander si ce n'est pas ce dernier qui a réalisé Super 8, tant on ressent la patte du réalisateur. Et pourtant, ce blockbuster est bien l'oeuvre de Abrams, jonchée de références de son mentor (E.T. l'Extra-Terrestre, Les Goonies, Rencontres du Troisième Types...). Et bien que le scénario se base sur une histoire de monstre, c'est pour mettre en scène des personnages intelligemment travaillés et interprétés. En gros, Abrams nous livre son enfance et son amour pour le cinéma et les seventies. Quelques défaillances sont à notées (la scène du train qui déraille est vraiment démesurée) mais devant ce film à la bonne mise en scène et aux effets visuels de toute beauté, on ne peut que crier "SUPER". Expand
  29. Aug 22, 2011
    An excellent, old school piece of film making from the director of Star Trek. Reminiscent of the Goonies in parts, with a sprinkling of horror and violence. Spot on special effects, believable characters, and a quite funny in parts. My only gripe was the occasional lashing of ultra sentimentality that seem to plague most of the films Spielberg is involved in. Almost snapped by heartAn excellent, old school piece of film making from the director of Star Trek. Reminiscent of the Goonies in parts, with a sprinkling of horror and violence. Spot on special effects, believable characters, and a quite funny in parts. My only gripe was the occasional lashing of ultra sentimentality that seem to plague most of the films Spielberg is involved in. Almost snapped by heart strings once or twice, ruining the experience, But on the whole - brilliant. Expand
  30. BeK
    Aug 19, 2011
    Well, Super 8. One of the best movies I've seen so far, and definitely the best one I've seen this year. Filled with a great cast of young actors, an impressive story-line and a lot of mystery, Super 8 manages to keep you at your seat from the beginning till the end. A masterpiece movie of our times, in my opinion, having all the resources necessary to making it a blockbuster. A little tooWell, Super 8. One of the best movies I've seen so far, and definitely the best one I've seen this year. Filled with a great cast of young actors, an impressive story-line and a lot of mystery, Super 8 manages to keep you at your seat from the beginning till the end. A masterpiece movie of our times, in my opinion, having all the resources necessary to making it a blockbuster. A little too young, the main characters in our story, but still, they their job just fine. Special effects, really show you that people did put in some good money as well in this movie. Not many flaws, and in general a movie worth seeing, at least twice. I definitely recommend it to all tastes and to people of all ages. Not as scary as when you read about it. See it, rate it, maybe love it, but definitely give it a shot cause in my opinion you won't regret it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jul 31, 2011
    It's nowhere close to "E. T." - what is? - but amongst the hullabaloo of summer, Super 8 is something to cherish: a beautifully made homage to better times, and better movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 10, 2011
    If Abrams had stuck with the kids and cut way back on all the sci-fi hoo-ha, his film might have stood a fighting chance of being charming. Big is not always better, even when it comes to fantasies.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 10, 2011
    Super 8 is in many ways a perfect summer movie: smart, exciting, heartfelt, and suffused with nostalgia.