7.9

1. LukeTheDuke
    Aug 22, 2007
    This is bad on every level. Awful script. Awful actors. Awful continuity. Awful blocking. Awful scenes. Coming of age, trying to get laid, high school buddy films don't need to be this bad. Jonah Hill is waaaay to old to play a high school loser believably any more. Michael Cera was much better when he had good material on Arrested Development. Funny film?? Not at all. I felt ripped This is bad on every level. Awful script. Awful actors. Awful continuity. Awful blocking. Awful scenes. Coming of age, trying to get laid, high school buddy films don't need to be this bad. Jonah Hill is waaaay to old to play a high school loser believably any more. Michael Cera was much better when he had good material on Arrested Development. Funny film?? Not at all. I felt ripped off by this half-assed effort, by I have been feeling ripped off a lot lately by the current level of Hollywood's mediocrity. Who allows this drivel to be produced?? Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2013
    It starts off funny, but it is just boring. This is an over-hyped comedy that does nothing but have stupid grotesque jokes. The acting sucked, and practically put me to sleep.
  3. amyg
    Aug 20, 2007
    Superbad is just as it says: Super Bad! Dirty words were just being thrown around as frequently as we breathe air. The plot had no tasteful point and it seems like they were just saying words such as "d**k" and "v***na" as many times as possible in a sentence without any sense. There weren't really lines or gestures that was funny, but it appears that people were just laughing in the Superbad is just as it says: Super Bad! Dirty words were just being thrown around as frequently as we breathe air. The plot had no tasteful point and it seems like they were just saying words such as "d**k" and "v***na" as many times as possible in a sentence without any sense. There weren't really lines or gestures that was funny, but it appears that people were just laughing in the theater because they feel obligated to get their money's worth. I was so disgusted I walked out of the theater (along with a large number of people). I should've known this movie was going to be super-bad since it shared similar distasteful lines and plot with Knocked Up. Disappointed. Expand
  4. AnonymousMC
    Dec 22, 2007
    This is the single worst movie I've ever seen. Like a train wreck, it was hard to decide when it was the right time to give up and turn off, but I did at about half-way. The idiots that wrote and directed this piece of garbage should be asked to never do anything again...
  5. RobJ.
    Dec 29, 2007
    I was very disappointed. This movie sucked. It really did. Just a bunch of cussing. It blew balls
  6. MarkG
    Dec 6, 2007
    painful and embarrassing to watch. One reviewer wrote that the films 'charms' are in the way the characters think with their dicks. What's remotely charming about this!? A load of macho American bullshit (witness the antics of the two cops) and gross moments smothered with an obligatory layer of cheesy sentiment that oozes out at the end of the film ('I love you painful and embarrassing to watch. One reviewer wrote that the films 'charms' are in the way the characters think with their dicks. What's remotely charming about this!? A load of macho American bullshit (witness the antics of the two cops) and gross moments smothered with an obligatory layer of cheesy sentiment that oozes out at the end of the film ('I love you maaaan'). How can learned critics rate this trash? Expand
  7. MikeT.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Superbad is. I didn't laugh once in the first 30 minutes, so this isn't really a comedy at all. Whenever everyone else laughed, I just cringed and wondered why anyone would ever make a movie like this. If Pauly Shore decided to remake Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Superbad would likely be the result. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
  8. vidMan
    Oct 3, 2007
    I left the theater in a disgust. It was so vulgar that it wasn't funny.
  9. Jan 22, 2011
    One of the most overrated comedies I've ever watched. Shame that so many audiences depend on this brand of vulgar humor to deliver laughs. It's disgusting.
  10. EdW.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Surprisingly unfunny, too long, and borderline misogynistic. A real disappointment.
  11. PeteH.
    Mar 24, 2008
    I was suckered by the hype. Loved 40 Year Old Virgin (as did my missus); Loved Knocked Up (as did my missus). Bought this full of anticipation after all the stellar reviews, set aside Sunday night (what a loser), settled down for a gutbusting laughfest and... er... couldn't believe how badly it sucked. In fact, I was so surprised at my negative reaction that I wondered if I'd I was suckered by the hype. Loved 40 Year Old Virgin (as did my missus); Loved Knocked Up (as did my missus). Bought this full of anticipation after all the stellar reviews, set aside Sunday night (what a loser), settled down for a gutbusting laughfest and... er... couldn't believe how badly it sucked. In fact, I was so surprised at my negative reaction that I wondered if I'd been in some kind of dour mood without realising it and got a second opinion from my kid brother who loves the same nonsense (your Liebowskis, Anchormen, Taps etc) and was also massively pumped to watch the movie after the great reviews. His view: he was livid that he'd wasted two hours of his life that he'd never get back. Problems? Okay, here are a few: the main character is a c*ck. Not in a good, geeky, anti-hero kinda way. No, he's just a c*ck, in a fat, crass, thick angry whinging please-smack-me-in-the-mouth dish-it-out-but-can't-take-it-in-return kinda way. He's the thick, angry dude at a party that you just walk away from as fast as you can. And he's waaaaaaay too old for the role. His mate is as dull as a puddle so there's no comedy chemistry, just uninspired swearing met by empty puzzled/guilty looks. The whole McLovin thing was so fiercely try-hard and cynical. The cops' characters changed as the script required (one minute goofing, then psychopathic) but didn't amuse because of the drug-fuelled mood swings - it just seemed fake. The joy of the recent Apatow stuff has been that under the grotesquerie, the characters were oddly credible. This one, however, is nonsense. There's none of the Apatow goofing-around-great-fun-just-hanging-with-these-characters feel. There's none of the amiability of the benchmark for this sort of movie, American Pies 1 and 2 (and nothing to touch the brilliant set-piece gags from those movies); there's none of the inspired insanity of the better frathouse bashes like Animal House. It just doesn't deliver. And the bolt-on ending! WHY would that absolute raging hottie with a sensible head on her beautiful shoulders even look at Mr spiteful whiney aggressive oik, other than because the movie demanded that the two guys sorta "get the gal" at the end? Dude - weak. If I was meant to be rooting for him because he'd followed some long character arc... ah, no. 'Cos he didn't. He woke up hungover and feeling guilty because he'd been such a royal pain in the harris that even he'd spotted it. He inspired such antipathy in me, I would have much preferred it if the movie had ended with him falling in agonising slow motion down the long flight of stairs in that shopping mall. Would have been a two star review, but another star for the McLovin "it's in!" line, a solitary great moment that only underlined how duff the rest of this movie was. Everyone I have spoken to who has seen it agrees - rubbish film. Sorry folks, the critics all jumped a big emperor's clothes bandwagon. Save yourselves, it's too late for me. Expand
  12. T.Sherrill
    Aug 17, 2007
    This is a sad commentary about back-assward priorities, low class, and a tragic lack of respect for women.
  13. BillC.
    Aug 29, 2007
    Not as funny as it should have been , the story really falls when it becomes obvious that the Police as just as big a baffoons as the teens in the story. The "cops" should have acted like real cops do.It would have added some tension, and thus made the events funnier because they would have made the story more real. INstead , they went cheap on the story and tried to use the cops for half Not as funny as it should have been , the story really falls when it becomes obvious that the Police as just as big a baffoons as the teens in the story. The "cops" should have acted like real cops do.It would have added some tension, and thus made the events funnier because they would have made the story more real. INstead , they went cheap on the story and tried to use the cops for half the laughs. It didn't work. Expand
  14. RickS
    Aug 28, 2007
    God damn, yet another comedy about white boys and there yearning to get laid, When will it end. Film-making is getting worst and worst, it's been done and done way better. Same old sh!t about 2 white friends, sex obsessed,drug jokes, I'm a nerd bla,bla. I wanted to shout out in the theater so hard saying-"don't worry when you reach college you'll be drunk and having God damn, yet another comedy about white boys and there yearning to get laid, When will it end. Film-making is getting worst and worst, it's been done and done way better. Same old sh!t about 2 white friends, sex obsessed,drug jokes, I'm a nerd bla,bla. I wanted to shout out in the theater so hard saying-"don't worry when you reach college you'll be drunk and having Orgys almost everyday, and become a judge,lawyer, or film maker at the same time". Because there is no real issues here, I'm sure everybody dealt with much bigger things than this crap(and yes it can be funny), like race, teachers, music, dreams, growing up etc. But no, again this movie is painting a real sh!t view of American schools and why everyone i meet that went to a school like this has absolutely no personality. So maybe this movie is true, if it is, then it's certainly not funny. Expand
  15. JewA.
    Oct 11, 2007
    When's the last time there was a flawed female character in a movie? I honestly can't remember. We'll probably have to go back to like 1995 to find one.
  16. Harry
    Sep 20, 2008
    No no no, everyday last year at school all i heard was how hilarious this movie was, how great it was so i finally rented it * wish i could get my 5 bucks back *. Pointless jokes that wernt even strong enough to make me laugh and i laugh at about anything. People stop applauding this movie! The only remotely entertaining part was the cops, and that didn't last long.
  17. KoryN.
    Oct 7, 2007
    Not very funny. Not very good. By the way, Kevin R, b e's grammar in that sentence is correct (I opted to see the movie and my friends opted to see the movie = I and my friends opted to see the movie).
  18. JaredC
    Aug 19, 2007
    It stays focussed but is a big bore of nonsense and crude unfunny content.
  19. ReelWorld
    Aug 20, 2007
    Stupid, vulgar, overlong, cliched and ridiculous film.
  20. be
    Sep 21, 2007
    After reading glowing reviews, I and my friends, all in high school, opted to see the movie. We were sadly disappointed at the crude content, and decided that this is what older people thought high school to be like, not what it was really like. It was awkward sitting through only part of the movie, and the funniest parts were when there was no &*^%%$. The easiest and funniest way to see After reading glowing reviews, I and my friends, all in high school, opted to see the movie. We were sadly disappointed at the crude content, and decided that this is what older people thought high school to be like, not what it was really like. It was awkward sitting through only part of the movie, and the funniest parts were when there was no &*^%%$. The easiest and funniest way to see this movie is on YouTube clips. Expand
  21. RJM.
    Nov 9, 2007
    seriously, this movie is horrendously bad. the novelty of the crudeness wears off after about 10 minutes, and then you're just inundated with terrible dialogue for another hour and a half. completely worn out stuff. i wanted to like it. but it was so not good. kinda made me depressed that everybody else was cracking up all the time: made me think, oh my god, people are so terribly lame.
  22. SamF.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Cheap humor, dumb jokes making fun of cops and alike. SUPERBAD.
  23. phoebet.
    Aug 24, 2007
    Superlame. It would take a few tasteful tweaks here and there to make this movie into a gem. Instead they went for the over-the-top genre and lost an opportunity to show a coming of age teen show where friendships count. Parody on cops piece had funny parts though was probably written by a 10 year old. The ratings on this movie are misleading. Though I will admit staying strangely glued Superlame. It would take a few tasteful tweaks here and there to make this movie into a gem. Instead they went for the over-the-top genre and lost an opportunity to show a coming of age teen show where friendships count. Parody on cops piece had funny parts though was probably written by a 10 year old. The ratings on this movie are misleading. Though I will admit staying strangely glued to this Superstupid movie thinking they must be heading somewhere clever. Never happened as they glossed over the opportunities. Expand
  24. Peter
    Feb 10, 2008
    It really wasn't funny. And yes I do have a sense of humor but seriously, the cops were so fake. And the "funny" lines were either A) predictable , or B)lame Even Toy Story was more funny then this.
  25. AlmaT.
    Feb 9, 2008
    McLovin is the only redeeming thing in the movie. I guess it is a guy movie.
  26. DonK.
    May 28, 2008
    They got the title right almost, it should have been Super Ultra Mega Bad! Pretty long too, alot longer than it should have been. Better off as a 10 min vid on Youtube. At least i saw a free bootleg of this cankersore, Judd Apatow does not deserve my money. I earn my money working. His job was to make me laugh and he failed to complete that objective, whcih is pathetic since I laugh like They got the title right almost, it should have been Super Ultra Mega Bad! Pretty long too, alot longer than it should have been. Better off as a 10 min vid on Youtube. At least i saw a free bootleg of this cankersore, Judd Apatow does not deserve my money. I earn my money working. His job was to make me laugh and he failed to complete that objective, whcih is pathetic since I laugh like crazy anytime I fart!!! Expand
  27. MarkK.
    May 4, 2008
    I have no idea what anyone is talking about. This movie is LOUSY. No, it's not because it's foul-mouthed or loaded with dick jokes---(I couldn't care less about any of that, I'll laugh at that ) it's just NOT funny! I've never met anyone who acts like any of these characters. It's just another example of the Apatow bullshit machine that wants to have an I have no idea what anyone is talking about. This movie is LOUSY. No, it's not because it's foul-mouthed or loaded with dick jokes---(I couldn't care less about any of that, I'll laugh at that ) it's just NOT funny! I've never met anyone who acts like any of these characters. It's just another example of the Apatow bullshit machine that wants to have an endless stream of unfunny cock, sperm and menstrual blood jokes --then wants us to buy into it's stupid NON-DEVELOPED "caring" about these two guys and their friendship story . It's TERRIBLE writing disguised as heart ---and it's a phony BORE. You want a good movie about real people, try "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" or "Animal House" or "Clueless." Film critics: You should actually go back and watch some real comedies before praising unfunny junk like this. Have a little knowledge about what you are talking about --or as the characters in this lame movie would say ad nauseam, "Grow a pair." Expand
  28. patrick
    Jul 26, 2008
    I have no idea how it got good ratings. To me, it seems like it couldve been made by those who created the "Scary Movie" franchise.
  29. Mike
    Dec 31, 2007
    Just like the title of the movie, it is Superbad... Why all the vulgar language? I am not easily offended, but this was too much! Once again, the ideas were there, but not developed, the cops were totally fake and didn't work. Not funny.
  30. FernandoG
    Aug 19, 2007
    This movie is really intended to be seen by a high-school audience. The humor is quite unintelligent and I found it to be quite boring at times. As a fan of silly movies like Austin Powers, Harold & Kumar, and the like, I was rather disappointed by Superbad; I think the title is quite accurate.
  31. DK
    Aug 21, 2007
    SUPERCRAP. It violates the only integral rule of comedy...it didn't make the audience laugh. I didn't think that anything this raunchy could be so interminably boring. I loved 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, but this just sucks. Save your money and rent a better teen comedy like Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Dazed and Confused.
  32. SethC.
    Aug 21, 2007
    I'm pretty sure all the user reviews so far are spambots. This movie was nothing more than d*ck jokes and hack premises. None of the charm of American Pie. Michael Cera deserves a better supporting cast. The names Apatow and Rogen are comedy poison.
  33. FredB.
    Aug 29, 2007
    I guess I don't understand the sense of humor, or lack thereof, of Americans these days. If hearing the f-word 1000 times along with just about every other bit of non-edgy sex and drug humor, this is your movie. If you want something a little smarter, don't waste your money.
  34. Trish
    Sep 22, 2007
    The cops were great, most everything else was vulgar.
  35. KristaL.
    Sep 25, 2007
    It's sad that the only thing that Americans find funny these days is cheap humor and homosexuality.

It helps that the fun doesn't stop. It helps even more that the pitch-perfect script doesn’t step out of character for a joke.
  2. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    Some of the patter is funny, but the movie lacks the clever plot developments and the character nuances of a classic like "American Graffiti." And it's missing the belly laughs of earlier raunchfests "American Pie" and "There's Something About Mary."
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The bawdy jokes score big points, but it's the rueful acknowledgement of adolescent embarrassment and humiliation that most distinguishes Superbad, another ultra-raunchy and commercial sex comedy from the Judd Apatow laugh factory.