Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 19, 1981
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 356 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SonicHD7May 31, 2017
Superman (Christopher Reeve) foils the plot of terrorists by hurtling their nuclear device into outer space, but the bomb's shock waves free the Kryptonian villain General Zod (Terence Stamp) and his henchmen Ursa (Sarah Douglas) and NonSuperman (Christopher Reeve) foils the plot of terrorists by hurtling their nuclear device into outer space, but the bomb's shock waves free the Kryptonian villain General Zod (Terence Stamp) and his henchmen Ursa (Sarah Douglas) and Non (Jack O'Halloran) from their imprisonment. Traveling to Earth, they threaten the planet with destruction at the same time that Superman decides to renounce his superpowers in order to live a normal life as Clark Kent with his new love, Lois Lane (Margot Kidder). Expand
MrMovieBuffApr 28, 2017
'Superman II' is an incredible sequel, filled with everything you loved about the first movie, and takes it to a tight story with some incredibly paced work and an overall, satisfying installment to the "Superman" franchise. Clark Kent'Superman II' is an incredible sequel, filled with everything you loved about the first movie, and takes it to a tight story with some incredibly paced work and an overall, satisfying installment to the "Superman" franchise. Clark Kent (Christopher Reeve) is back, and must now face his toughest enemy yet, General Zod (Terrence Stamp), while Lois Lane (Margot Kidder) thinks that she might be closer to the identity of Superman than she thinks. Overall, 'Superman II' is still a visually stunning sequel, with a great story wrapped in there, the execution may be clunky in a few places, but you will have fun with it. Expand
TheMoeJan 4, 2017
Superman II was a great film. Way better than 3 or 4 and it has almost no flaws. General Zod is amazing and Reeve as Superman is amazing, as well. This movie is a 10/10.
UNARMED_JORDAug 21, 2016
boasting a better story line, better villains and overall a better movie Superman II is in my opinion the best superman movie to ever be released, just great stuff.
EpicLadySpongeMay 3, 2016
I don't know how in the world is this ranked higher than the original Superman, but don't question critic logic. Just enjoy what they have in store for you.
gameguardian21Mar 20, 2016
While not as good as the first one, this superman story continues the superman legacy that lasted two movies. With a entertaining villian, superman still heroic, and story, this was the superman movie that was the last good one before the 2000"s.
MovieNightMar 6, 2016
Here's a new one: a director's cut from someone who isn't the credited director. When producers Alexander and Ilya Salkind decided to make a Superman film, they adopted the same strategy they chose for The Three Musketeers and The FourHere's a new one: a director's cut from someone who isn't the credited director. When producers Alexander and Ilya Salkind decided to make a Superman film, they adopted the same strategy they chose for The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers: shoot two at once and save some money. But as with the Musketeers films, the plan didn't quite work out. The Salkinds fired Superman director Richard Donner before he could complete the sequel, brought in Musketeers director Richard Lester to replace him, and lost the participation of Gene Hackman (who declined to come back for the Lester-shot footage) and Marlon Brando (whose footage was cut after he raised a stink over missing profits from the first Superman). Released in 1980 in Europe and 1981 in America, Superman II met with popular success, but fans, teased by footage that showed up in TV cuts, kept the idea of a truer, Donner-ier version alive, and the clamor has finally culminated in a new cut reconstructed by Michael Thau with Donner's approval.

The standard line holds Lester's version as too camp, blaming him for all the film's failings and crediting Donner with everything that works. That wouldn't be fair even if it didn't disrespect Lester (here repeatedly called "the other director"), who helmed masterpieces like A Hard Day's Night and Petulia, especially since the new cut reveals that Donner deserves a great deal of the credit and blame for both versions of Superman II. Most of the key scenes originated with Donner, and while his cut solves some of the original version's problems (no more Superman logo snares made out of cellophane), it has problems of its own.

Big problems. Anyone wanting to avoid camp will want to fast-forward through the painful comedic scenes featuring Hackman as Lex Luthor, with moll Valerie Perrine. One key scene obviously comes from patched-together screen tests, and the finale maddeningly repeats a cheap trick from the first Superman film. It's nice to see the Brando footage and the restored scenes of Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder's breezy chemistry. But where the original cut at least played as a relatively cohesive movie, loose ends and all, this looks like little but loose ends. It's a curio, not a corrective.
TheDude-Jul 19, 2015
Superman 2 is a rare sequel that improves upon the original the action for its time is very solid the characters are great and is easily one of the most fun and entertaining superhero films to watch.
fatoshajdini101Oct 27, 2014
Just like the first film, Superman II is one of the greatest movie ever! The best fight scene between the Man of Steel and the three Kryptonian criminals including General Zod is quite a tremendous battle and he is one bad-ass villain forJust like the first film, Superman II is one of the greatest movie ever! The best fight scene between the Man of Steel and the three Kryptonian criminals including General Zod is quite a tremendous battle and he is one bad-ass villain for this movie.Same script made by Mario Puzo(who previously worked on the Godfather trilogy) and as for Lex Luthor now a supporting role he is even more comical than the first film. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
A trio of Krypton villains threaten havoc on Earth, while Superman and Lois Lane are just becoming involved in a long awaited love affair -- an affair which may cost Superman his super powers.
nick_knackSep 30, 2014
More villains and more action than before create a better and more exciting film, though at times like its predecessor, Reeves performance as the Man of Steel as well as Terrance Stamp's Zod cause Superman II to nearly top the original.
diogomendesSep 3, 2014
Much better than the pointless, dim-witted named as "Man of Steel". Just when you thought the classic was already enough, studio Warner Bros. brings another well-paced, stylish and nicely acted flick.
SNLover44Mar 1, 2014
The best out of the QUADRILOGY LOVED IT SOO MUCH!!! Great Cast, Great Bad guy, Great Lines, Great super AND A GREAT DIRECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RICHARD DONNER DID IT AGAIN!!!
marcmyworksJan 22, 2014
Superman's back and this time he's had it. Actually in all seriousness this is the best of the Reeve Superman films as he battles his own kind and has to defend the planet he calls home.
cag11Nov 29, 2013
Although this was even more cheesy than the first Superman, it still has a great amount of cool that made this movie a decent sequel. This will always be my favorite Superman sequel, ever.
SuperheroMoviesAug 19, 2013
Featuring still decent effects for its time, soul-filled humor, and a story that shows tremendous heart, this sequel is an exciting and faithful follow-up to the phenomenal original.
wrightm1Jun 26, 2013
Although the original Superman will always be the strongest in my eyes, I still really quite enjoyed this film. With a montage to start the film off, just in case you have forgotten anything from the previous film, but this film is simplyAlthough the original Superman will always be the strongest in my eyes, I still really quite enjoyed this film. With a montage to start the film off, just in case you have forgotten anything from the previous film, but this film is simply just fun, and the most entertaining thing for me was watch Lois lane and Superman play off each other and see how their relationship developed.

That and General Zod of course, who is a truly great villain played by the one and only Terence Stamp. I will be interested to see Michael Shannon's take of the character in Man of steel... Had to mention it at some point. It's a Superman review.

And it is Superman week. Lets face it.

The main problem I had with the film is that I felt that there were some bits that felt too placed, and could have been cut out completely. The film does seem to drag in the middle a little bit which could arguably be down to the troubled production, with a switch of director in the middle of production from Richard Donner to Richard Lester. This resulted in a problem with the tone of the film, as Donner wanted a dark film while Lester tried to add in a lot of slapstick- which to be honest were the bits that dragged the film down- what I would call the silly parts, when the film suddenly becomes a cartoon for a few minutes.

I will be interested to see Richard Donner's cut.

I enjoyed Superman 2, although it doesn't have the same magic of the first one it is still a great superhero film.
DollisJun 14, 2013
I seen the movie man of steel and i give 3 and a half star's that doesn't mean it is a bad movie., i like more Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) and the soundtrack of Superman (1978) is better.
cub317May 22, 2013
No, I do not think that this movie is the best Superhero movie of all time. However, I do think that this is a very good movie. This movie was made back in a time when people thought superheroes were more romantic and silly than anythingNo, I do not think that this movie is the best Superhero movie of all time. However, I do think that this is a very good movie. This movie was made back in a time when people thought superheroes were more romantic and silly than anything else (if you want another movie like that, all three of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies). This movie is a perfect movie that shows what superheroes were like during that era. I believe that the main reason a lot of people do not like this film as much as they used too is merely because this is the era of more grown up superhero movies (Christopher Nolan's Batman movies) which are much darker. Superman II is definitely the perfect movie for romantic superhero fans. It is very charismatic and heroic at the same time. It has a simple plot with villains threatening to take over the world, but the hero always triumphs in the end, and also gets the girl. While this plot is simple, so were the original Spider-Man movies which came out much later. Probably my only real complaint about this movie is that even though the romantic hero plot was good for the time, it is a little outdated now, as more grown up superhero movies have been released. I still think that this a great movie nonetheless. Expand
McCorpseMar 2, 2013
liked this one a lot, in my opinion it was probably even better than the first one. One of the biggest reasons would probably be the villains. They are a physical match for superman so they pose more of a threat than lex luthers so calledliked this one a lot, in my opinion it was probably even better than the first one. One of the biggest reasons would probably be the villains. They are a physical match for superman so they pose more of a threat than lex luthers so called intelligence. Since supermans new villains can fly there is one really good scene of them battling it out and throwing large objects at each other and fighting while flying. The dated special effects add a cheese factor but its really fun to watch. There is also a very cool scene on the moon that felt very sci-fi like, this was a great scene i thought looked very cool. These two things were in my opinion better than anything that happened in the origonal. On the negative side though there was some pretty stupid plot elements that might be hard for some people to look passed, i personally just laughed and shrugged it off. One thing i found funny was how supermans mom tells him he can turn into a human but will never be able to regain his old powers and then he easilly gets his powers back using the green crystal, that was ridiculous, also lex luthers escape from jail in a hot air balloon was silly. Overall superman 2 is a cheesy good time i found more entertaining than the first Expand
tontoSep 12, 2012
It can be campy but it's fun and original, exploring a fallible side of Superman through his decision to rid himself of his powers for Lois Lane. Zod, of course, is classic. It's a shame Donner couldn't finish his version, but I feel LesterIt can be campy but it's fun and original, exploring a fallible side of Superman through his decision to rid himself of his powers for Lois Lane. Zod, of course, is classic. It's a shame Donner couldn't finish his version, but I feel Lester did a fine job finishing the project. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
My favorite of the Superman movies. I don't know how on Earth this film got a 5.8 User Score. This was also the most interesting, as Superman finally had someone who could really challenge him and he doesn't always emerge victorious. ThisMy favorite of the Superman movies. I don't know how on Earth this film got a 5.8 User Score. This was also the most interesting, as Superman finally had someone who could really challenge him and he doesn't always emerge victorious. This film also explores Clark's and Lois' relationship much more than in the first film, which proves to me that its an improvement. Expand
ZilcellApr 14, 2012
Superman II is every bit as good as the first, and even possibly better. When it comes to stories in superhero movies, this is about as good as it gets.
grandpajoe6191Sep 22, 2011
"Superman 2" is definitely overrated by critics. However, it still stands out as a comic ovation and appeals heartfully to the audience.
JamesHNov 24, 2009
Very entertaining, it has a lightness about it and plenty of action. Winning performances, excellent score and in 1980 the special effects were great.
DanSOct 7, 2009
Still the greatest Superman movie ever made, and still one of the greatest super hero movies ever made.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
GoxPSep 26, 2009
This is not the score on the original Superman 2 from 1981 (which I would score 4, even as a kid back then). No, this is for 2006, Superman 2 - The Richard Donner Cut, which is not complete, but "must see" for all you Superman lovers out This is not the score on the original Superman 2 from 1981 (which I would score 4, even as a kid back then). No, this is for 2006, Superman 2 - The Richard Donner Cut, which is not complete, but "must see" for all you Superman lovers out there. This version feels like completely different film. Expand
JoelW.Sep 10, 2009
This film is fantastic. And even more so because it's a sequel. I think it's terrific. And I dont understand how anyone can say this is "Unwatchable" - have those users never seen "Grandma's Boy", "Club Dread" or "Going This film is fantastic. And even more so because it's a sequel. I think it's terrific. And I dont understand how anyone can say this is "Unwatchable" - have those users never seen "Grandma's Boy", "Club Dread" or "Going Overboard"? THEY'RE unwatchable! Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
PaulASep 9, 2009
OK, keep in mind that the reviews used to calculte the 99 score are most likely from when the movie came out and not current reviews! when Superman 2 came out it deserved this score! Has it aged well? maybe not, but it's still a damn OK, keep in mind that the reviews used to calculte the 99 score are most likely from when the movie came out and not current reviews! when Superman 2 came out it deserved this score! Has it aged well? maybe not, but it's still a damn good movie, and for it's time it very much deserved it's universal acclaim, now can we please move on. Expand
CrisenM.May 20, 2009