6.3

1. Nov 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this movie first and I like to give it a 9.3 and the first a 9.7 but I can't do that but sometimes it better sometimes the first is better and sometimes there equal great. The story had improve but I didn't like we superman loses his power and just gets it back again, I wish that didn't happen to get a 1 min revenge of that trucker. But that movie is great like the first, but maybe not like the first. Expand
  2. Oct 27, 2014
    Just like the first film, Superman II is one of the greatest movie ever! The best fight scene between the Man of Steel and the three Kryptonian criminals including General Zod is quite a tremendous battle and he is one bad-ass villain for this movie.Same script made by Mario Puzo(who previously worked on the Godfather trilogy) and as for Lex Luthor now a supporting role he is even moreJust like the first film, Superman II is one of the greatest movie ever! The best fight scene between the Man of Steel and the three Kryptonian criminals including General Zod is quite a tremendous battle and he is one bad-ass villain for this movie.Same script made by Mario Puzo(who previously worked on the Godfather trilogy) and as for Lex Luthor now a supporting role he is even more comical than the first film. Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2014
    A trio of Krypton villains threaten havoc on Earth, while Superman and Lois Lane are just becoming involved in a long awaited love affair -- an affair which may cost Superman his super powers.
  4. Sep 30, 2014
    More villains and more action than before create a better and more exciting film, though at times like its predecessor, Reeves performance as the Man of Steel as well as Terrance Stamp's Zod cause Superman II to nearly top the original.
  5. Sep 3, 2014
    Much better than the pointless, dim-witted named as "Man of Steel". Just when you thought the classic was already enough, studio Warner Bros. brings another well-paced, stylish and nicely acted flick.
  6. May 8, 2014
    Worse than the first and since the first is out of time now... yeah... It couldn't have the great action of course so it focused again on the humor part. Even more this time. It almost became a kids cartoon.
  7. Mar 1, 2014
    The best out of the QUADRILOGY LOVED IT SOO MUCH!!! Great Cast, Great Bad guy, Great Lines, Great super AND A GREAT DIRECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RICHARD DONNER DID IT AGAIN!!!
  8. Jan 22, 2014
    Superman's back and this time he's had it. Actually in all seriousness this is the best of the Reeve Superman films as he battles his own kind and has to defend the planet he calls home.
  9. Nov 29, 2013
    Although this was even more cheesy than the first Superman, it still has a great amount of cool that made this movie a decent sequel. This will always be my favorite Superman sequel, ever.
  10. Aug 19, 2013
    Featuring still decent effects for its time, soul-filled humor, and a story that shows tremendous heart, this sequel is an exciting and faithful follow-up to the phenomenal original.
  11. Jun 26, 2013
    Although the original Superman will always be the strongest in my eyes, I still really quite enjoyed this film. With a montage to start the film off, just in case you have forgotten anything from the previous film, but this film is simply just fun, and the most entertaining thing for me was watch Lois lane and Superman play off each other and see how their relationship developed.

That

That and General Zod of course, who is a truly great villain played by the one and only Terence Stamp. I will be interested to see Michael Shannon's take of the character in Man of steel... Had to mention it at some point. It's a Superman review.

And it is Superman week. Lets face it.

The main problem I had with the film is that I felt that there were some bits that felt too placed, and could have been cut out completely. The film does seem to drag in the middle a little bit which could arguably be down to the troubled production, with a switch of director in the middle of production from Richard Donner to Richard Lester. This resulted in a problem with the tone of the film, as Donner wanted a dark film while Lester tried to add in a lot of slapstick- which to be honest were the bits that dragged the film down- what I would call the silly parts, when the film suddenly becomes a cartoon for a few minutes.

I will be interested to see Richard Donner's cut.

I enjoyed Superman 2, although it doesn't have the same magic of the first one it is still a great superhero film.
  12. Jun 23, 2013
    I was so impressionable as a kid that I had no idea how to criticize a movie or compare it to others on special effects. To me it was one of the greatest movies from a child's perspective. I grew up and now realize it was a B movie and I'm not comparing it to today's special effects films because that's unfair, instead I'm comparing it to Star Wars which is the movie which was trulyI was so impressionable as a kid that I had no idea how to criticize a movie or compare it to others on special effects. To me it was one of the greatest movies from a child's perspective. I grew up and now realize it was a B movie and I'm not comparing it to today's special effects films because that's unfair, instead I'm comparing it to Star Wars which is the movie which was truly ahead of its time in production, acting, storyline and special effects. Star Wars has truly stood the test of time. Sorry, but Superman II is a joke and people seem endeared to Christopher Reeves out of nostalgia and patriotism but he was a terrible actor. The only actor in that film worth anything was Gene Hackman Expand
  13. Jun 14, 2013
    I seen the movie man of steel and i give 3 and a half star's that doesn't mean it is a bad movie., i like more Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) and the soundtrack of Superman (1978) is better.
  14. May 22, 2013
    No, I do not think that this movie is the best Superhero movie of all time. However, I do think that this is a very good movie. This movie was made back in a time when people thought superheroes were more romantic and silly than anything else (if you want another movie like that, all three of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies). This movie is a perfect movie that shows what superheroes wereNo, I do not think that this movie is the best Superhero movie of all time. However, I do think that this is a very good movie. This movie was made back in a time when people thought superheroes were more romantic and silly than anything else (if you want another movie like that, all three of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies). This movie is a perfect movie that shows what superheroes were like during that era. I believe that the main reason a lot of people do not like this film as much as they used too is merely because this is the era of more grown up superhero movies (Christopher Nolan's Batman movies) which are much darker. Superman II is definitely the perfect movie for romantic superhero fans. It is very charismatic and heroic at the same time. It has a simple plot with villains threatening to take over the world, but the hero always triumphs in the end, and also gets the girl. While this plot is simple, so were the original Spider-Man movies which came out much later. Probably my only real complaint about this movie is that even though the romantic hero plot was good for the time, it is a little outdated now, as more grown up superhero movies have been released. I still think that this a great movie nonetheless. Expand
  15. May 10, 2013
    Caught this on T.V. with my friend one night. Hadn't seen it since I was about 6 and it was cringe worthy to the point of not being able to look away. I wasn't expecting a timeless classic, you have to lower your standards this being a super hero movie and being a product of the 80's. But my god, I was not expecting such a hilariously unwatchable disaster. It's not the bad special fx,Caught this on T.V. with my friend one night. Hadn't seen it since I was about 6 and it was cringe worthy to the point of not being able to look away. I wasn't expecting a timeless classic, you have to lower your standards this being a super hero movie and being a product of the 80's. But my god, I was not expecting such a hilariously unwatchable disaster. It's not the bad special fx, or even the somewhat dated feel of the movie... Superman II's biggest problem is it's actors delivery and total lack of subtlety in their performance. Some of it can surely be blamed on the director for accepting the takes, but a lot of the lines are delivered so unbelievably bad you wonder how they made it past the cutting room floor. The story isn't much better, just an excuse to have an all out brawl in the middle of the city... you can see where directors like Michael Bay major influences are. Grab some popcorn and spend hour and a half re-familiarizing yourself with this movie. Even my friend who's fairly open to watching almost any mindless action flick couldn't contain his laughter re-watching this. Expand
  16. Mar 2, 2013
    liked this one a lot, in my opinion it was probably even better than the first one. One of the biggest reasons would probably be the villains. They are a physical match for superman so they pose more of a threat than lex luthers so called intelligence. Since supermans new villains can fly there is one really good scene of them battling it out and throwing large objects at each other andliked this one a lot, in my opinion it was probably even better than the first one. One of the biggest reasons would probably be the villains. They are a physical match for superman so they pose more of a threat than lex luthers so called intelligence. Since supermans new villains can fly there is one really good scene of them battling it out and throwing large objects at each other and fighting while flying. The dated special effects add a cheese factor but its really fun to watch. There is also a very cool scene on the moon that felt very sci-fi like, this was a great scene i thought looked very cool. These two things were in my opinion better than anything that happened in the origonal. On the negative side though there was some pretty stupid plot elements that might be hard for some people to look passed, i personally just laughed and shrugged it off. One thing i found funny was how supermans mom tells him he can turn into a human but will never be able to regain his old powers and then he easilly gets his powers back using the green crystal, that was ridiculous, also lex luthers escape from jail in a hot air balloon was silly. Overall superman 2 is a cheesy good time i found more entertaining than the first Expand
  17. Dec 10, 2012
    "Superman II" has none of the charm of its predecessor, and it is plagued by particularly bad special effects. The character of Superman is more deeply developed and the narrative is artfully paced.
  18. Sep 12, 2012
    It can be campy but it's fun and original, exploring a fallible side of Superman through his decision to rid himself of his powers for Lois Lane. Zod, of course, is classic. It's a shame Donner couldn't finish his version, but I feel Lester did a fine job finishing the project.
  19. Jul 12, 2012
    My favorite of the Superman movies. I don't know how on Earth this film got a 5.8 User Score. This was also the most interesting, as Superman finally had someone who could really challenge him and he doesn't always emerge victorious. This film also explores Clark's and Lois' relationship much more than in the first film, which proves to me that its an improvement.
  20. Apr 14, 2012
    Superman II is every bit as good as the first, and even possibly better. When it comes to stories in superhero movies, this is about as good as it gets.
  21. Nov 16, 2011
    I'm giving this movie a 2 because I like the idea of it. The actual implementation has much to be desired. The special effects are awful in context with the times. The fight scenes are laughable. Watching equally strong (invincible) superbeings fight is much more boring than watching a regular street fight. It always amazes me that Hollywood could never put together a great SupermanI'm giving this movie a 2 because I like the idea of it. The actual implementation has much to be desired. The special effects are awful in context with the times. The fight scenes are laughable. Watching equally strong (invincible) superbeings fight is much more boring than watching a regular street fight. It always amazes me that Hollywood could never put together a great Superman movie. The original Superman movie was decent but fell apart in the second half. This movie is dumb from start to finish. Expand
  22. Sep 22, 2011
    "Superman 2" is definitely overrated by critics. However, it still stands out as a comic ovation and appeals heartfully to the audience.
  23. Oct 7, 2010
    Just the thought of this film being above the Godfather part1 and 2 is unbelievably angers me.We have two masterpieces and many more(like LOTR and Patton) being rated lower than this cheesy action flick.I don't think it should even be included in the High Scores list because there are just 7 reviews.

1. Reviewed by: Gary Arnold
    Jun 4, 2013
    Superman II" gets off to a fast start (in part by recapitulating the plot of the original film in the credit sequence), only to evolve into a curiously absent-minded follow-up...What seems to have been lost is the straightforward heroic exuberance of the original film, despite Reeve's gallant and endearing efforts. [19 June 1981, p.C1]
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Jun 4, 2013
    Superman II is a success, a stirring sequel to the smash of '79. Whether you will prefer it to the original is like choosing between root beer and Fresca. They're both bubbly, but the flavor is different. What the follow-up doesn't have is the epic lyricism of Richard Donner's version; it's harder edged, fleeter on its feet, less reverential. [22 June 1981, p.87]
  3. Reviewed by: Chris Hewitt (1)
    Jun 4, 2013
    Manages to gain classic comic book feature status through a combination of great stunts and a great human angle.