Columbia Pictures | Release Date: August 8, 2003
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 146 Ratings
Watch Now
imthenoobFeb 2, 2012
It wasnt that bad. The acting is solid through out and there is a ton of good action, Its suprisingly addictive to watch. I have seen it 3-4 times and I still enjoy it. The plot isnt all that good and rather generic overall, Some parts of theIt wasnt that bad. The acting is solid through out and there is a ton of good action, Its suprisingly addictive to watch. I have seen it 3-4 times and I still enjoy it. The plot isnt all that good and rather generic overall, Some parts of the movie are just stupid and make you question why they were added in the first place. Yet still its an enjoyable action film worth the watch. Expand
OfficialMar 8, 2014
If you just wanna see stuff getting blown up and gunfire action, you've found a perfect movie. If you wanna see a movie with real character development combined with intense action, you might want to look somewhere else.
hoops2448Jan 21, 2012
Swat doesn't try to be anything more than a fast paced action film so I'm not going to treat it like high art but boy does it disappoint. It's not that it has bad actors. The leads (Colin Farrel and Samuel L Jackson) are good, the villainSwat doesn't try to be anything more than a fast paced action film so I'm not going to treat it like high art but boy does it disappoint. It's not that it has bad actors. The leads (Colin Farrel and Samuel L Jackson) are good, the villain (Jeremy Renner) is menacing with decent time devoted to his back story and the supporting members of the team (Michelle Rodriguez and LL Cool J) are decent too. It's not about the writing although it is a little hammy at times. It's just that Swat is half a movie.
Swat would be a pretty good action film if it didn't take so long to get started. The main story doesn't emerge until an hour has passed with the first hour being slow, uninteresting and just plain aggravating. The forming and training of the team could have taken half the time and could have been much more interesting. The unessential addition of Farrel's characters unhappy girlfriend just delays further and infuriates. The last hour itself is pretty decent with some great action and a nice brisk pace. The night-time setting does lead to some lighting issues with the final fight being hard to follow but it still entertains which is more than I can say about the beginning which is just dire. Finally if you're going to have a menacing villain, actually make him menacing. Olivier Martinez's French villain isn't so much bad as he is laughable. Someone who should be fearsome and dark is pompous and annoying and acts like his mummy took his toys away for being bad. It's just plain funny.
RayzorMooseNov 20, 2013
S.W.A.T slaps out.
The movie is long, boring, and not very entertaining. With moments of excitement and decent characters it keeps the film from falling apart, but S.W.A.T still falls flat.
diogomendesAug 4, 2014
Before I make up my own review of the other cop film starring Samuel L. Jackson (yeah the terrible one), I'll give my thoughts on this police thriller. Unfortunately, this is a bland, forgettable and inane movie that must be seriously thoughtBefore I make up my own review of the other cop film starring Samuel L. Jackson (yeah the terrible one), I'll give my thoughts on this police thriller. Unfortunately, this is a bland, forgettable and inane movie that must be seriously thought before watching it.

The story should captivate more. Jim Street and his fellows mates are sent to stop a gang of robbers who have taken over a bank. His hot-tempered friend Gamble disobeys an order to not shoot in the bank robbers and accidentally wounds a hostage, causing him an expulsion on S.W.A.T team. While Jim decides to stay in order to work in the "gun cage", Gamble turns against his once close friend and all of sudden, becomes the antagonist of the film. However, his screen time is not that much and his motivations are poorly executed. Clearly, the character development is not the strong point of this movie.

However, the cast and acting are surprisingly good. Jackson and Ferrell give magnificent performances and believable dialogue. But the rest of the film is just a colossal bore until the final act which is provided by the return of the friend Gamble. His bloated screen time and uninteresting story prevents him from being a remarkable opponent for Jim, such a shame. He's more annoying than amusing but I guess that's part of the movie's charm. The director and his team could have put a lot of effort in the final battle but they decided instead using boring gunshots and underwhelming crashes, can't get what you always want right?

In conclusion, this movie has no charisma or depth. It's a two hours long of poor character development, dull story and loud soundtrack. It's heavily bad even for today's standards.
EpicLadySpongeApr 24, 2016
Fun and generic to watch but S.W.A.T's biggest problem is mixing police non-stop action with police non-stop thrill. No one should ever try mixing action with thrill otherwise we'd have no doubt about giving in excitement and wanting actionFun and generic to watch but S.W.A.T's biggest problem is mixing police non-stop action with police non-stop thrill. No one should ever try mixing action with thrill otherwise we'd have no doubt about giving in excitement and wanting action at the same time. Expand