S.W.A.T.

8.2

1. Nov 24, 2011
    Great film, Not because one area of the film is amazing but simply because the overall product is good. Solid acting by the cast, Great action, and its interesting.
  2. Feb 2, 2012
    It wasnt that bad. The acting is solid through out and there is a ton of good action, Its suprisingly addictive to watch. I have seen it 3-4 times and I still enjoy it. The plot isnt all that good and rather generic overall, Some parts of the movie are just stupid and make you question why they were added in the first place. Yet still its an enjoyable action film worth the watch.
  3. EllieN.
    Aug 12, 2003
    I love SWAT!!! It's such a gr8 movie , i wish we could have more fun, action movies like SWAT. I enjoyed it and Colin Farrell is so HOTT!!!!
  4. Jose
    Sep 6, 2003
    Great movie!
  5. HaroldH.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Loved it! Good, pure action from start to finish. Great additional information on the DVD in addition to the movie. Pure action entertainment.
  6. Quiet
    Aug 10, 2003
    Fun movie. Good setup, good acting. Nothing over the top fantastic, but nothing bad either. Overall, well put together.
  7. XCel
    Aug 15, 2003
    Worst movie of the year... and I saw Gigli and View From the Top. Goes beyond bad to blatantly offensive, chock full of race-baiting, awful stereotypes, and the moronic gung-ho machismo that keeps Bush in office.It speaks volumes that the User Review average is over 8. I'm leaving the country ASAP.
  8. Allen
    Aug 24, 2003
    WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!! OMG this movie was aweful. I hated it. The charactors made no sence and there was way too much action, i mean it was non stop!! Take a break once in a while from all the shooting, it gave me a head ache. No wonder the old TV show was taken off the air. And another thing, at one part in the movie they start to sing their own theme song. What the hell was that about??? WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!! OMG this movie was aweful. I hated it. The charactors made no sence and there was way too much action, i mean it was non stop!! Take a break once in a while from all the shooting, it gave me a head ache. No wonder the old TV show was taken off the air. And another thing, at one part in the movie they start to sing their own theme song. What the hell was that about??? How would they know their own theme song for gods sake?? DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  9. Melissa
    Feb 1, 2004
    Yuck. Even taken for what it is, an action movie, no need for plot, the action sequences were haphazard, the special effects poor, and too many action sequences were way too dark to see what was going on. 4th rate, all the way.
  10. GinoE.
    Jun 19, 2004
    S.W.A.T. is suppost to be an action movie.. But where is all the action? Especially at the end, where you really wait for something to happen, but it never does. The rest of it are just senseless scenes that have nothing to to with anything. This is what all of the action films are these days, but at least there is some firework in them. Not in this one though... And the French villain is S.W.A.T. is suppost to be an action movie.. But where is all the action? Especially at the end, where you really wait for something to happen, but it never does. The rest of it are just senseless scenes that have nothing to to with anything. This is what all of the action films are these days, but at least there is some firework in them. Not in this one though... And the French villain is awful... I truly hope they don't come up with a sequel. Expand
  11. AlanG.
    Nov 14, 2003
    Very good, who cares what others think.
  12. Jon
    Aug 12, 2003
    Good action, good acting, solid film that holds your interest until the end. Jackson's line of "they only roll in John Woo films" was great. Good summer movie!
  13. ChadS.
    Aug 13, 2003
    "S.W.A.T." asks us to believe that the same man who has the balls to slit the throat of a don, could allow himself to be arrested for a broken tail-light? While you've got to admire the film's subtlety to forego a car chase, this seasoned sociopath must know his identity would be uncovered in due time. Is he stupid, or the writers? Never mind. "S.W.A.T." is watchable from "S.W.A.T." asks us to believe that the same man who has the balls to slit the throat of a don, could allow himself to be arrested for a broken tail-light? While you've got to admire the film's subtlety to forego a car chase, this seasoned sociopath must know his identity would be uncovered in due time. Is he stupid, or the writers? Never mind. "S.W.A.T." is watchable from beginning to end. Collapse
  14. EDixon
    Aug 19, 2003
    Not up to snuff. Anyone who thinks this was a great action flick needs to head down to the video store and rent some real action movies. How about Die Hard, or the Terminator 1 or 2. S.W.A.T lacked emotion, humor, or excitement. They try to cover this up by making it extremely loud which is an insult. The last fight scene on the train tracks... Who was who? And would anyone have really Not up to snuff. Anyone who thinks this was a great action flick needs to head down to the video store and rent some real action movies. How about Die Hard, or the Terminator 1 or 2. S.W.A.T lacked emotion, humor, or excitement. They try to cover this up by making it extremely loud which is an insult. The last fight scene on the train tracks... Who was who? And would anyone have really cared if someone died. This movie was devoid of any emotion. It would make a great rainy day rental though..... Expand
  15. JustinB.
    Aug 8, 2003
    S.W.A.T., while boring at times, is an overall good, fun movie.
  16. 8Ball
    Aug 8, 2003
    Yo, this movie is dope! I don't want SWAT after me, they're bad. Samuel Jackson is my boy, you know what I'm saying? It's better than Bad Boys 2 because LL Cool J is in it. I give it an 8 cuz I'm 8 Ball.
  17. JohnY.
    Aug 9, 2003
    Started off well, but the last hour is just plain silly.
  18. OJS.
    Mar 8, 2004
    Definitely 1 of the best movie I have ever seen. it deserves lot more then a f*(**) 44. This movie was great and if u havent seen it watch it. you will c.
  19. AnsonG.
    Jul 27, 2006
    Very poor movie. It was too long to start the real action at the end. The previous chapter was nothing, absolute awful. I was bored of the major action scenes. i would rather take a nap for an hours and watch other action. S.W.A.T is rental.
  20. JonJ
    Aug 11, 2003
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!
  21. Spriggangirl
    Best movie ever!!!!
  22. QuicheaV.
    Aug 12, 2003
    Could Colin get ANY hotter?!?!?!? NO!!! sooo good! it's a must see, but don't sit to close to the front of the theatre! Go! GO SEE IT NOW!!!
  23. JonG.
    Aug 12, 2003
    WOW! Im not gonna lie, this movie was off the hook! this movie was crazy go nuts! and Rodrigez is soo sexy! That plane scene was SICK! A must see! One of the best Cop movies ever!
  24. DinuF.
    Sep 21, 2003
    The first minutes say all about the "proffesional" SWAT. the plot drives snipers to shoot while hostages are still in danger. no operation at same time (too hard for them to set up it seems.) would be a desaster in real life. the movie is a slap to everything more intelligent than a rock.
  25. BitBurn
    Sep 22, 2003
    Well, if you have nothing else to do and you saw every one of the 950000 movies at your local video store then you might find this movie amusing enough to keep you awake for the evening! Seriously, it's an "ok" flick.
  26. Jan 21, 2012
    Swat doesn't try to be anything more than a fast paced action film so I'm not going to treat it like high art but boy does it disappoint. It's not that it has bad actors. The leads (Colin Farrel and Samuel L Jackson) are good, the villain (Jeremy Renner) is menacing with decent time devoted to his back story and the supporting members of the team (Michelle Rodriguez and LL Cool J) areSwat doesn't try to be anything more than a fast paced action film so I'm not going to treat it like high art but boy does it disappoint. It's not that it has bad actors. The leads (Colin Farrel and Samuel L Jackson) are good, the villain (Jeremy Renner) is menacing with decent time devoted to his back story and the supporting members of the team (Michelle Rodriguez and LL Cool J) are decent too. It's not about the writing although it is a little hammy at times. It's just that Swat is half a movie.
    Swat would be a pretty good action film if it didn't take so long to get started. The main story doesn't emerge until an hour has passed with the first hour being slow, uninteresting and just plain aggravating. The forming and training of the team could have taken half the time and could have been much more interesting. The unessential addition of Farrel's characters unhappy girlfriend just delays further and infuriates. The last hour itself is pretty decent with some great action and a nice brisk pace. The night-time setting does lead to some lighting issues with the final fight being hard to follow but it still entertains which is more than I can say about the beginning which is just dire. Finally if you're going to have a menacing villain, actually make him menacing. Olivier Martinez's French villain isn't so much bad as he is laughable. Someone who should be fearsome and dark is pompous and annoying and acts like his mummy took his toys away for being bad. It's just plain funny.
  27. Dec 21, 2012
    S.W.A.T. is a good movie but the lack of character development for anyone other than the protagonist (and even this was minimal) made you not really care too much for the outcome. That wasn't the worst part of the film though. By far the worst part of this movie was the mediocre dialogue. It's almost like the writers decided to throw as many corny, cheese-ball quips as possible. Not onlyS.W.A.T. is a good movie but the lack of character development for anyone other than the protagonist (and even this was minimal) made you not really care too much for the outcome. That wasn't the worst part of the film though. By far the worst part of this movie was the mediocre dialogue. It's almost like the writers decided to throw as many corny, cheese-ball quips as possible. Not only was this annoying but it made the characters feel fake. It was still entertaining but it's not a great movie at all. Expand
  28. Mar 8, 2014
    If you just wanna see stuff getting blown up and gunfire action, you've found a perfect movie. If you wanna see a movie with real character development combined with intense action, you might want to look somewhere else.
  29. Nov 12, 2012
    S.W.A.T. is the worst Michael Bay film with which Michael Bay had absolutely nothing to do with.
  30. Nov 19, 2013
    SWAT is extremely head bashing and loud, but good cop fun. The acting is good by Jackson and Ferrell. With a good setup and plan for the film, including the VFX. The guns are always being pulled on and the atmosphere is awesome. The story is great, about drugs and black money, which delivers great "buddy" fun. This is a film to buy and enjoy on a Sunday night or after a long day at work-SWAT is extremely head bashing and loud, but good cop fun. The acting is good by Jackson and Ferrell. With a good setup and plan for the film, including the VFX. The guns are always being pulled on and the atmosphere is awesome. The story is great, about drugs and black money, which delivers great "buddy" fun. This is a film to buy and enjoy on a Sunday night or after a long day at work- SWAT is a buddy cop film. And it's cheesy fun. Expand
  31. Nov 20, 2013
    S.W.A.T slaps out.
    The movie is long, boring, and not very entertaining. With moments of excitement and decent characters it keeps the film from falling apart, but S.W.A.T still falls flat.
  32. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Odd that people would critique this movie with complaints about no character development, no effective storyline, etc. Whenever you have a dynamic ensemble cast, you must balance the story between character development and the story arc--I.e., action. It's easy to criticize from an armchair, but trust me, actually doing it is difficult and nerve wracking...not to mention, budget eating and time snarfing. And when you have a movie such as S.W.A.T., on top of it all, people pay for the action. I am sure that miles of film are littering the editing room floor that would have fluffed up each character into a movie of their own. However, the sacrifices to the God of action at the expense of the God of brevity weren't without their necessity. I like action. Were there parts that were slow and maybe unnecessary? Of course. But every storyteller, in every medium, wants the target audience to know SOMETHING about the main characters, even if some of the chosen scenes seemed poorly thought out, or in some cases, pure filling...without the satisfying fullness that comes with a good story 'meal.' The action, while a bit murky in a few places, was mostly satisfying. The story, while a bit weak, followed the narrative arc that I would expect, fairly straightforwardly from beginning to end, with only a couple of false steps when it came to individual character story lines. And, of course, as in most good cop, bad cop movies, the filmmaker tried to blur the line between good and evil, with 'good guys' doing the 'wrong' thing, and at least one of the bad guys trying to do the 'right' thing. Ah, Hollywood. One day they may get it right. But for now, real life has more twists and turns than even S.W.A.T. could ever have seen coming, even with their high-powered sniper scopes at the ready. Expand
  33. Aug 4, 2014
    Before I make up my own review of the other cop film starring Samuel L. Jackson (yeah the terrible one), I'll give my thoughts on this police thriller. Unfortunately, this is a bland, forgettable and inane movie that must be seriously thought before watching it.

The story should captivate more. Jim Street and his fellows mates are sent to stop a gang of robbers who have taken over a bank. His hot-tempered friend Gamble disobeys an order to not shoot in the bank robbers and accidentally wounds a hostage, causing him an expulsion on S.W.A.T team. While Jim decides to stay in order to work in the "gun cage", Gamble turns against his once close friend and all of sudden, becomes the antagonist of the film. However, his screen time is not that much and his motivations are poorly executed. Clearly, the character development is not the strong point of this movie.

However, the cast and acting are surprisingly good. Jackson and Ferrell give magnificent performances and believable dialogue. But the rest of the film is just a colossal bore until the final act which is provided by the return of the friend Gamble. His bloated screen time and uninteresting story prevents him from being a remarkable opponent for Jim, such a shame. He's more annoying than amusing but I guess that's part of the movie's charm. The director and his team could have put a lot of effort in the final battle but they decided instead using boring gunshots and underwhelming crashes, can't get what you always want right?

In conclusion, this movie has no charisma or depth. It's a two hours long of poor character development, dull story and loud soundtrack. It's heavily bad even for today's standards.
  34. Oct 25, 2015
    This is a fun, good action movie. The dialogue is kind-of cheesy, but the everything else is fine. The story is good and all in all, it is entertaining.
  35. Apr 24, 2016
    Fun and generic to watch but S.W.A.T's biggest problem is mixing police non-stop action with police non-stop thrill. No one should ever try mixing action with thrill otherwise we'd have no doubt about giving in excitement and wanting action at the same time.

1. While the movie is stupid, it is -- hooray, and let's put this in all the national ads! -- not appallingly stupid.
  2. A prototypical new-millennium summer movie, S.W.A.T. is no more than an extended trailer for itself.
  3. Offers up the kind of pleasures that only a summer movie can...The cast is good-looking, the soundtrack is loud, the plot is stupid.