7.6

1. Sep 24, 2011
    "Sweeney Todd", the remake version directed by Burton, sticks its bloody blade right to the problems of society and mock them with Johnny Depp as the violent Barber. However beware the music; it sucks.
  2. Dec 19, 2011
    Scary, crazy, well acted, beautifully filmed and with some great music. Tim Burton's Adaptation is actually my favorite yet and I enjoyed it better than the Broadway version with Patti Lupone and Angela Lansberry. I give this movie 88%.
  3. Aug 18, 2010
    Any movie that stars Sacha Baron Cohen getting bludgeoned to death with a tea kettle deserves top honors in my opinion. Good show, indeed. Fans of horror and musical films are in for a very pleasant surprise.
  4. Jan 30, 2011
    The only Tim Burton movie post-2000 worth watching. Only issue is with the horrible portrayal of blood in this movie, it looks more like red paint.
  5. Nov 2, 2010
    What a great movie, Tim Burton has the ability to add this charm and style to his movies that I simply love. I did not know about this story or that it was a play but from other peoples account he has done a good job at representing it in the movie genre. It also has to be said that Johnny Depp is simply amazing, as well as the rest of the cast.
  6. May 20, 2011
    great movie. the music was good. the acting was great. the visual effects were spectacular. i simply love this film. it was funny and evil. and sad. it was glorious.
  7. Aug 27, 2012
    It was dreadful, to be honest. None of the leads can sing and the music is horribly repetitive while still being forgettable. I would no doubt rank it higher if it had actual decent singers (as I know the musical has its fans) but this rendition just made me dislike the musical as a whole. You don't forgo talent to hire your friends if you want artistic integrity and this film is a prime example why. Expand
  8. May 19, 2012
    Dark, grisly, and yet oddly spellbinding, 'Sweeney Todd' comes together to be Tim Burton's best work to date. Featuring excellent performances by both Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Alan Rickman, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street makes for a superbly fun period-piece and musical. B+
  9. Nov 1, 2011
    I don't like musicals. But I am a fan of Tim Burton films, and I don't know whether its the performance of Depp or the haunting songs that drew me in to this film, its excellent. Its typical of a Tim Burton film, with all the dark and dreary demeanor brought to life by cunning performances. The cast is also great, Depp IS Sweeney Todd, Helena Bonam-Carter plays her part well and even Sacha Baron Cohen cannot wreck this film...not that he's a terrible actor, I just didn't expect him to fit in as well as he did. Expand
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    We knew Johnny Depp was a diverse actor but he really turned his hand to something different with his long time BFF Tim Burton, and this is certainly one of their finer moments in the career long collaborations.
    A re-telling of the classic barber in Fleet Street, Depp stars as the titular barber turned killer after tragedy befalls his happy family.
    The musical score put forward by Steven
    Sondheim is wonderfully gripping and heartbreaking, as Sweeney Todd, formerly Benjamin Barker, returns to London to seek revenge on those who wronged him, namely Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman) and Beadle Bamford (Timothy Spall).
    Todd re-opens his barber shop above the pie store, owned by Mrs Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) and quickly establishes himself as quite the dangerously cunning and gentle barber, all aiming to the bigger picture of righting the wrongs of his past. He soon visits a market and we are introduced to the comedic Adolfo Pirelli (Sacha Baron Cohen) who is is a rip-off merchant selling hair growth elixir for bald men.
    The film grows predictably darker and more horrific as the minutes tick on, as does the the musical numbers.
    This is a tale of revenge and despair, and the talent involved do an excellent (and surprising) job of singing their own solo pieces along with the ensemble numbers, Depp is is stellar in what can only be described as a dark and nerving turn as the London barber.
    Burton has perfectly put his own unique gothic touch to proceedings with the characters of Sweeney Todd and Mrs Lovett, who are equally as dangerous yet likeable, never really knowing who we are supposed to dislike throughout the film.
    It has the perfect score to immediately capture and entice the viewer of any particular audience, whether its a catchy and humorous song (Baron Cohen's "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir") or a heartfelt and sombre tone (Todd's "Epiphany"), they all capture the mood and pace of the film, which sets up a thrilling and satisfying final act that will both please and shock.
    Burton and Depp certainly chose a different direction for this film, and was an exceptionally brilliant idea to do so.
  11. Jan 10, 2013
    This movie was was brilliant the ending is such a plot twist that i didnt expect the movie is inspirational (not because i want to kill people because no one can make good movies anymore) and well written the acting is really great and the singing amazing you can really feel for all of the characters in this movie you cant do that with most others but all in all this is one of the best movies in a long time and you should watch it Expand
  12. Aug 31, 2012
    The music was not remotely one of the positive aspects of this movie. Wonderful and delightful acting. The art direction was spectacular. The ending was exciting and tasteful. The music is just boring.
  13. Jun 18, 2012
    A fantastic film from start to finish, and definitely Tim Burton's finest. Despite not having any prior musical training, both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are able to deliver the lines and pitches of the musical's songs with feeling, and I especially enjoyed Depp's emotional, simmering performance of the song 'Epiphany'. In fact, pretty much every aspect of Sweeney Todd drips atmosphere and evokes powerful emotions - the brooding score, the mysterious, gothic and haunting depiction of Victorian London, with it's uniformly deathly dark and sombre colours contrasting perfectly with the bright red fountains of blood that gush from Todd's unwitting victims, and the excellent costumes. The only minor niggles are the film's rather short length and Ed Sander's largely too 'Oliver'-like performance. This has to be my favourite film of all time and I highly recommend it. Expand
  14. Dec 23, 2013
    A bloody success! The music is great and the atmosphere is perfectly creepy. Although more violent and gruesome than the stage version (which is more funny) this film is great. It makes you laugh, smile and a little sick to your stomach so you've gotta love it.
  15. Dec 6, 2012
    A story from 1846, turned into a ballet in 1959, then into a Broadway musical in 1979, then into a Hollywood screenplay by Tim Burton in 2007. What I really want to know is what possessed Sir Malcom Arnold in the late 1970's to think "Hey! This horror story would make a great musical!". This was the weirdest and most disturbing musical I have ever seen, but I guess since it's a remake of a Broadway musical it is true to its roots. +10 for Tim Burton having the guts to release Sweeney Todd as a movie. The acting and singing was superb. I'm not sure I ever want to see it again because it is so gory and violent, but it is what it is. BTW: Interesting fact: Johnny Depp was absolutely horrified when he read the script. Because of all of the violence and cannibalism in it? -- Nope. Because for the first few minutes of the film he would have to play a "normal person" - OH THE HORROR!!!! LOL Expand
  16. Aug 15, 2012
    Sweeney Todd, é um dos melhores musicais já produzidos no cinema!
    Depp, Burton e Carter estão em sua melhor forma.
    A obra é tocante, o visual imersivo e a trilha sonora impecável.
  17. Dec 22, 2012
    Bloody and insanely over produced, Sweeney Todd is actually a good movie aside from murders. While it's grim, dirty and just...well, I mean Jesus, look at Johnny Depp. Sweeney Todd is incredibly sad and while there is depth, it went on just a bit too long. Still a good movie though. B-
  18. Jun 29, 2013
    My favorite Tim Burton film. A dark musical that is cast perfectly especially the great Johnny Depp. Everything about this musical works from the songs to the dreery set pieces.
  19. Jun 12, 2013
    The atmosphere was good. And the music too. But the film was not good. I've read the reviews and i expected a masterpiece. Johnny Depp is really good and Helena Carter. However, there is something missing from this movie..
  20. Jul 10, 2013
    This movie/musical has the distinction of being my favorite movie, even after nearly 6 years after I saw it the first time. What's good about it? Many things. The costumes are superb, the cinematography is beautiful, and yes, everyone can sing. Johnny Depp, who is always interesting, does what became an Oscar-nominated performance in the title role. It's a reminder that when he is on his game, it's a fabulous ride. This movie is based upon the Stephen Sondheim award-winning musical but is much shorter and the humor is trimmed as well, making this a melodrama instead of a comedy. But, it's still highly entertaining and I would recommend getting a little familiar with the lyrics to the songs before watching because it just makes watching better. Sweeney Todd was Benjamin Barker, a young man with a beautiful family, who is torn apart from them by a lecherous judge, played with appropriate sliminess by Alan Rickman. The New York Times opera critic gave Depp high marks and I think was hoping for more from Helena Bonham Carter (Mrs. Lovett), but she does well enough and shines in songs like A Little Priest, By the Sea, and Not While I'm Around. I do have to admit that I am not a fan of movie musicals, but this one is the exception. One of Tim Burton's best, right up there with Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood. Expand
  21. Oct 27, 2013
    Tim Burton's dark imagination blooms alive, and Johnny Depp is a shock, as he sings, with a British accent, quite well, as I don't have a clear description. The rest of the cast gets mixed in well. Disturbing, but charismatic.
  22. Jan 20, 2014
    A rather wonderful and original musical film. I found myself loving all the characters despite the evil nature of most of them. I was also glad to see Sasha Baron Cohen prove he is worthy of a blockbuster role.
  23. Jan 14, 2014
    This Is a fantástic film, i just love it
    This Is the best film thath i ever atched
    This Is art
    I love it
    And the actors are the best of the world
    Is just a perfect film

1. Teaming with Depp, his long-time alter ego, Burton makes Sweeney a smoldering dark pit of fury and hate that consumes itself. With his sturdy acting and surprisingly good voice, Depp is a Sweeney Todd for the ages.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Both sharp and fleet, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street proves a satisfying screen version of Stephen Sondheim’s landmark 1979 theatrical musical.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Depp is such a soulful presence he gives you a glimpse of this maniac's pain and pathos. Bonham Carter is extraordinary. She reinvents Mrs. Lovett from the inside out.