7.6

1. ConnerS
    Jan 5, 2008
    Holy Freaking Crap! this was the most desturbing, amazing movie i have ever seen! The singing in great and the acting is even better! This is not a movie for the light stomached but if you can make it through the gore, it's phenominal! A++!
  2. AnneR.
    Feb 20, 2008
    Awesome music, amazing acting, outstanding movie! One of the best films I've ever seen. I honestly was not expecting to like it, but I was pleasantly surprised! Had me singing for weeks afterward!
  3. Raven
    Dec 23, 2007
    Simply a very good movie. Takes the image musicals have to a whole new level. A must see, and in my opinion the best Johnny Depp movie to date.
  4. JoeB.
    Jul 1, 2008
    A Masterpiece, made even moreso by Johnny Depp. I ask, 'is there nothing this man cannot do?'
  5. RichardB.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Sweeney Todd is the PERFECT film musical.
  6. MikeY.
    Dec 20, 2007
    What a HORROR..in a great way. See this movie. It will give you chills, thrills and laughs for a long time to come.
  7. ErynD.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Overall, as a fan of the stage production, I was more than satisfied with this adaptation. It's visually beautiful, the orchestration is magnificent, the acting is fairly good, and the singing really grew on me, especially now that I see it set against the characters in motion. "Pretty Women" still bugged me the way it always did in the stage show, but I was surprised that Overall, as a fan of the stage production, I was more than satisfied with this adaptation. It's visually beautiful, the orchestration is magnificent, the acting is fairly good, and the singing really grew on me, especially now that I see it set against the characters in motion. "Pretty Women" still bugged me the way it always did in the stage show, but I was surprised that Anthony's "Johanna" solo didn't bug me at all since they trimmed it down, I think. I had some issues with it, but I don't think its faults are big enough to really knock off any points with me, personally. Especially after seeing it multiple times, the things that bugged me the first time don't really bug me much at all anymore. Go see it, everyone! Expand
  8. SoniaA.
    Jan 1, 2008
    I thought this was a really Good movie!! you have Johnny depp and Helena Bothen-cart two good actors and then you have Tim burton The best Director you can't go wrong!!
  9. CourtneyE.
    Jan 4, 2008
    This was the best movie ever i mean it really moved and made you just want to see it more and more times.
  10. JenyaP.
    Jan 5, 2008
    I was so impressed with this movie and my husband who doesn't like musicals enjoyed it so much that he asked when we were going to be able to go and get the soundtrack because ever since we saw it he has been singing the songs from it!
  11. AlexQ
    Jan 8, 2008
    I saw this movie 2xs on consecutive days, first at an AMC, last at a Harkins. The AMC was glorious, strong color and resonant sound. The Harkins viewing was awful--the speakers couldn't handle the higher register so Carter sounded tinny & horrible. Either the film print was bad or the projector bulb weak, but the color was completely desaturated as well. Many times characters were I saw this movie 2xs on consecutive days, first at an AMC, last at a Harkins. The AMC was glorious, strong color and resonant sound. The Harkins viewing was awful--the speakers couldn't handle the higher register so Carter sounded tinny & horrible. Either the film print was bad or the projector bulb weak, but the color was completely desaturated as well. Many times characters were half lost in the shadows. It was very close to a Drive in experience--which makes me wonder if those who did not enjoy the movie saw it under conditions ala Harkins. Expand
  12. LetíciaL.
    Feb 10, 2008
    The best movie I
  13. JessicaH
    Feb 9, 2008
    Beautiful adaptation of the stage musical. Johnny Depp's and Helena Bonham Carter's singing wasn't that great, but the overall effect was fantastic. The cinematography was stunning, and the acting was equally amazing. I can't say enough good things about the movie, although it was more gory than I expected.
  14. ke
    Apr 13, 2008
    Best Tim Burton film and best johnny depp film. The songs are good and the ending just tragic.
  15. ErinB.
    Jun 4, 2008
    It's official! There is absolutely nothing Johnny Depp can't do! Twisted in a beautiful way!
  16. AllyL.
    Aug 24, 2008
    I just loved this movie. The way it was directed, the way the actors portrayed their characters with convincing emotions, even their voices, which actually were pretty good, appealed to me. Even though I'd first heard of this in November 2007, it's still the top of my list of all-time favorite movies
  17. MatthewK.
    Dec 20, 2007
    Brilliant adaptation of one of the most brilliant pieces of theatre ever written. Wonderful performances, tight direction and writing, genius music and lyrics, and breathtaking visuals. One of the best films of the year, and by far the best movie musical in nearly 40 years (since Oliver!) Just wonderful.
  18. StarrLight
    Dec 20, 2007
    Excellent movie! The most fun I have had watching a bloodbath, ever!
  19. StephenVanG.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Do not let reviews and comments from others help make your mind up. See Sweeney Todd for yourself! Having been a devotee of the musical since seeing the original production - this is a faithful and beautiful production. The much talked about gore is for this viewer played for comic relief not horror. What I can say is simply - GO make up your own mind.
  20. JaneB.
    Dec 23, 2007
    I've been a fan of the play/music for over 20 years. Wasn't sure what to expect, but Tim Burton's movie was WAY better then I even imagined it could be! The music stayed true to Sondheim - I was way impressed!!!
  21. JacquesC.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Although I have never read the book nor seen the play, Sweeney Todd surprised me with its dark but fantastic plot, brilliantly-cast acting, and a variety of surprisingly well-executed music. Tim Burton truly was the perfect director for this film; he managed to realize a darkly humorous and completely captivating masterpiece.
  22. Matt
    Dec 28, 2007
    one of the best films i've seen this year. Great music and singing
  23. ArmondW.
    Dec 30, 2007
    This isn
  24. StanG
    Dec 30, 2007
    I found Sweeney to be enthralling from start to finish. And, yes, I have seen the Broadway productions (still love Angela) but Burton didn't just film the play. He made it a cinematic experience. Bravo!
  25. DavidHE
    Jan 20, 2008
    At least 10 to combat the stink of the spammers with low scores which aren't deleted. Powerful film with great cash and although it doesn't capture the musical perfectly the songs are reasonably abridged. A strong 9.
  26. Pooria
    Dec 30, 2008
    The best musical of all Cinema History !
  27. OrenK
    Jan 28, 2008
    Absolutely one of the best movies I've ever seen. The cinematography was stunning, perfectly Tim Burton, and I found that there was not a single moment when I was bored. Highly recommended.
  28. KarenC.
    Jan 29, 2008
    I'm sorry some of you disliked it, but I found this to be one of the best films I've ever seen. It definitely jumped to my all time favorite. Sondheim is not always a composer people take to right away, but he is undeniably one of the most respected, and well loved composers of the American Musical and Sweeney Todd a true classic. I fully expected to be disappointed and in fact, I'm sorry some of you disliked it, but I found this to be one of the best films I've ever seen. It definitely jumped to my all time favorite. Sondheim is not always a composer people take to right away, but he is undeniably one of the most respected, and well loved composers of the American Musical and Sweeney Todd a true classic. I fully expected to be disappointed and in fact, could not contain myself over this incredible adaptation. Not a copy, not a stage on film but a true film, in itself. Yes, it has style, it has emotional depth, it is beautiful to watch and a delight to experience. I have seen it now repeated times, and unlike other films that warranted multiple viewings, no flaws showed up. No slow spots, nothing that I would want done differently. It flows with grace and elegance. People who feel there is no emotion must simply not like this type of film. The story is not a complicated on. It is a revenge tragedy. It's a 200 year old legend that is a beloved musical that has stood the test of time since it debuted in 1979. This is a fable, a legend. How complicated is any legend? It is the ultimate story with an anti-hero who is morally corrupt and yet, you shift your moral compass in watching this. More so than usual with the film. Depp presents a tragic, saddened and terribly frustrated Sweeney with whom one can sympathize. I do feel for those of you who didn't enjoy it, but the fact is that it is a musical. It was conceived as a musical, presented as a musical, it makes no apologies for being a musical. More than that it is more an operetta. And it succeeds as a musical film more than any I have seen. And does it beautifully, with outstanding performances. Expand
  29. JimJ
    Jan 31, 2008
    Absolutely mesmerizing, the best movie experience in years. I have seen this 4 times and plan to watch it many more times on the DVD. All that has to be said has already been said in the reviews, all that is left is for everyone to watch it.
  30. ab
    Jan 6, 2008
    beautifully created. the songs were memorable, the acting was fabulous, and everything else just followed suit!
  31. KentC
    Jan 9, 2008
    The music and singing will forever be stuck within your cranium. The blood, while pretty graphic, does not look very real due to the use of stage blood, so while it will make you squeamish (in a good, fun way) it won't make you throw up. Cohen's singing is delightfully funny and Ed Sander's has a lot of potential. Almost every cast member was spot on. Some funny dialogue is The music and singing will forever be stuck within your cranium. The blood, while pretty graphic, does not look very real due to the use of stage blood, so while it will make you squeamish (in a good, fun way) it won't make you throw up. Cohen's singing is delightfully funny and Ed Sander's has a lot of potential. Almost every cast member was spot on. Some funny dialogue is also a welcomed addition. Overall, any fan of movies, musicals, or both should NOT MISS THIS MOVIE! Expand
  32. KathrynC.
    Feb 14, 2008
    One of the best films I have ever seen. I loved it.
  33. JulL.
    Feb 2, 2008
    I loved it singing very good considering nobody was a pro. (plus they sounded better than have the crap on the radio) and visually captivating, which I could see it again and again and again.
  34. KaneG.
    Feb 6, 2008
    I loved this movie it was the most brutal thing I'v ever seen "I a diffrent kind of hate if it were a street gang I'd go to war with it ".it was like heavy Metal WITH OUT THE METAL!
  35. DevonS
    Apr 27, 2008
    The first word that pops into my mind when someone mentions Sweeney Todd is "perfect".
  36. DominicW.
    Jun 18, 2008
    I saw the Blu-Ray version of this film on a 1080p large screen and was treated to an awe inspiring visual treat. The film itself rates as one of the best I've seen for a very long time. And I hate musicals.
  37. DavidL.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Stunning film translation of one of the greatest of stage musicals.
  38. JalexD.
    Dec 22, 2007
    An amazing tragedy. A twisted beauty to behold. Though I wish Alan Rickman's character had been dwelled upon a bit more, 'Todd' is still by far the greatest cinematic piece I've had the pleasure of taking in during the year of 2007.
  39. ChirsV.
    Sublime.
  40. TimO.
    Dec 24, 2007
    Incredible, it is a shame that select parts (especially the ballad) were removed. These cuts I understand were necessary, and they made do with the time allotted. In lieu of the ballad with words, you could hear the score being played softly at times, which made the adrenaline pump. The cast did an excellent job singing, and I was surprised they could pull it off so well. They pulled A Incredible, it is a shame that select parts (especially the ballad) were removed. These cuts I understand were necessary, and they made do with the time allotted. In lieu of the ballad with words, you could hear the score being played softly at times, which made the adrenaline pump. The cast did an excellent job singing, and I was surprised they could pull it off so well. They pulled A LOT from the book, and removed but 4 or 5 parts, only 1 or 2 of which were extremely important (the introduction of Lucy [beggar woman] at the beginning off the docks, and the song "God That's Good" [although 'included' it is not in its entirety]). Many previous ratings have come out bashing the bloodiness of the film, and have marked down their ratings for all the blood...UNDERSTAND: the blood is how it is, should you read the book, this is how it was written. Despite the blood, see the intended humour, and word tricks. (eg. Mrs. Lovett's "Seems like a downright shame, such an aweful waste...a good frame he HAS...HAD...HAS!") Simply amazing job. I commend the directors/writers/producers/cast on the EXCELLENT job they did, and I would recommend this movie to anyone seeking a wonderful Christmas (okay, mildly scary) movie. ENJOY! Expand
  41. Nic
    Dec 25, 2007
    Amazingly good movie! It kept me at the edge of my seat, and I already knew the story ahead of time. The play didn't involve me to the extent this movie version did. I highly recommend it.
  42. DorothyG.S.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Argento meets James Whale in Carol Reed's subconscious during an acid trip with Val Lewton and Alfred Hitchcock through the Hammer Studios vaults. Despite cavils by stage devotees about what should have remained in the score or how it ought to be sung, such matters hardly bothered this longtime fan during its mesmeric, unsettling, perversely beautiful trip into Grand Guignol Argento meets James Whale in Carol Reed's subconscious during an acid trip with Val Lewton and Alfred Hitchcock through the Hammer Studios vaults. Despite cavils by stage devotees about what should have remained in the score or how it ought to be sung, such matters hardly bothered this longtime fan during its mesmeric, unsettling, perversely beautiful trip into Grand Guignol operetta. Sensational star performances by Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, superb supporting players, magnificent design/technical elements, all helmed by a director in total command of medium and material. The results are stunning, a genuine musical thriller and possibly the best stage-to-screen reenvisioning since "Cabaret." Expand
  43. JohnA.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Simply superb. This is the masterpiece that Burton's directorial career has been leading up to, and its Sondheimian greatness is capped by tossing the lead role to a non-singer who, in turn, completely redefines the title role. If there exists any flaw in this magnum opus, it is only in being too faithful to the underlying works -- mass audiences expecting cheery Christmas fare may Simply superb. This is the masterpiece that Burton's directorial career has been leading up to, and its Sondheimian greatness is capped by tossing the lead role to a non-singer who, in turn, completely redefines the title role. If there exists any flaw in this magnum opus, it is only in being too faithful to the underlying works -- mass audiences expecting cheery Christmas fare may balk at the sheer, grim reality of Burton's (and Sondheim's, and Bond's) mind, but they do so at their own expense. Sheer brilliance -- a must see in the truest sense of the term. Expand
  44. JoshuaS.
    Dec 28, 2007
    it was really good but if u don't like a lot of blood then do not see it but u could turn away at the parts with blood so i think if u like blood and johnny depp then see it.
  45. ColinP.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful/ STUNNING! It is like a Shakespearean tragedy. Burton has outdone himself, by far!
  46. MattS
    Nov 24, 2008
    One of the best musicals ever, made by the perfect director for the project (ending a streak of very mediocre films) and cast with intelligence and skill. Anyone who doesn't find this music glorious and terrifying is from a different planet. I saw it thrice in the theaters.
  47. Jociline
    Jan 22, 2008
    I will not deny the original was better nor that not all of the songs were interesting... but you can not judge a movie on a predepositioned hate for musicals. Burton masterfully crafts the dark atmosphere, and clashes it with characters that do not seem to notice it (shy one rather important sub-character). Depp naturally becomes Mr. Todd, and clearly IS the film, but it's not like I will not deny the original was better nor that not all of the songs were interesting... but you can not judge a movie on a predepositioned hate for musicals. Burton masterfully crafts the dark atmosphere, and clashes it with characters that do not seem to notice it (shy one rather important sub-character). Depp naturally becomes Mr. Todd, and clearly IS the film, but it's not like it's a wait to get back to the interesting psycho... rather... stuff... Either way, I went in by proclaiming that a movie can not be judged by a predeposition against that movie. It's a musical, big deal... it's not a slasher, horror, thriller or love story. It's drama. It's all about the interactions between people... and a bit about disturbing you with the psychotic nature of Mr. Todd and Mrs. Lovett. And yes, this is not the best score... often repeating the same lyrics far to often and doing reprisals of other songs within songs... but I found only a few songs detached... the rest were evoking enough to draw me in.. Going in expecting something else causes a sense of being cheated. As such, I feel the reason people disliked Sweeny Todd is because they thought it to be something it is not... and were unwilling to appreciate it for what it is. Expand
  48. BryanL
    Jan 25, 2008
    It's disappointing, but not unexpected to see reviews here from people who think film suffers because the music is not memorable. (One review here hilariously suggests to see the sub-mediocre Hairspray instead which isn't even a good imitation of Grease!) I'd heard the Sweeney Broadway soundtrack and knew a few of the nicer songs (covered by people like Streisand) but it It's disappointing, but not unexpected to see reviews here from people who think film suffers because the music is not memorable. (One review here hilariously suggests to see the sub-mediocre Hairspray instead which isn't even a good imitation of Grease!) I'd heard the Sweeney Broadway soundtrack and knew a few of the nicer songs (covered by people like Streisand) but it took this film for me to finally get in a big way what a masterpiece Sondheim had created 25 years ago. Sorry, folks, but the greatest music isn't always likable upon first hearing and the controlled dissonance and the complex way themes intertwine here is eons beyond standard pop or even standard musicals. I put this up there with West Side Story (also Sondheim, at least in lyrics) in terms of raw genius. No time to go into the filmic aspects or acting performances (except to say that Helena Bonham Carter I think was almost equal to Depp) but this was the most compelling movie overall that I've seen in years. I agree that it's darker and has less humor than the stage version but I don't see that as a loss. Different idiom, so a different interpretation. Same with the singing. Johnny Depp's less-skilled and less powerful voice is perfect for this version. Depp uses his crackling voice to emote while singing in a way I never imagined he could. A kick-ass "pro" baritone powerhouse would have ruined it. I understand completely why this film has made so many critic top ten lists. I'd say I'm sorry it's not in the Best Picture for Oscar, but I haven't seen all the other nominees yet. Expand
  49. BL
    Jan 25, 2008
    This is the only movie in the last few years that I thought was worth spending the money on to see it more than once in a theater. After that I bought the soundtrack and am more convinced every day that it's in the best 5 musicals of all time.I kind of feel sorry for the people here who gave it unusually low ratings or don't "get" why the critics consider it first rate. This is the only movie in the last few years that I thought was worth spending the money on to see it more than once in a theater. After that I bought the soundtrack and am more convinced every day that it's in the best 5 musicals of all time.I kind of feel sorry for the people here who gave it unusually low ratings or don't "get" why the critics consider it first rate. It's also too bad that Dreamworks/Paramount is either doing so little, or just doing such a bad job at marketing it. But that I can understand. There hasn't been much like it in theaters before just as there hadn't been much like it on Broadway before it. Expand
  50. GloriaF.
    Feb 21, 2008
    Excellent acting Some scenes hard to watch.
  51. ChelseP
    Feb 26, 2008
    I walked into the theatre, not knowing what to expect, and walked out humming the tunes. I didn't even really know a thing about Sondheim whatsoever, and now I'm considering tracking down the musical. My personal, and quite unexpected, favorite movie of the year!
  52. SethV.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Fantastic movie. Burton's best, thanks mostly to Sondheim, but also to beautiful performances by Depp, Bonham Carter, Rickman and Baron Cohen. Highly recommended.
  53. YvetteR.
    Sep 15, 2008
    It was a great movie!! I was introduced to it by my friend and I thoght it was going to ber gross. It turned out to be a work of art!! But I agree with Joe G. It did have a poor ending. What happened to the boy is what im still asking?
  54. MadisonF.
    Oct 11, 2009
    If it wasn't the all-star cast, it was the beautiful scenery and music that all contributed to the great success of this film. The Depp and Burton combination was, as usual, fantastic, and Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett was an incredible idea. This is one of my favorite movies of all time.
  55. KenP.
    Dec 21, 2007
    A masterpiece. Sondheim's classic has been tightened; it is distilled darkness. The music is great-I wanted to applaud at the end of several numbers.
  56. IvanC.
    Dec 21, 2007
    I haven't seen a musical this good in ages.
  57. JohnW.
    Dec 22, 2007
    One of the best films of the decade. The ending was so dramatic and stylisitc, I almost cried and I don't know why. It was honestly the best movie I've seen in years. Tim Burton really brought the most out of Johnny and Helena - and what voices the younger kids had! I'd recommend this movie to anyone!
  58. JackR.
    Dec 22, 2007
    For me, the most impressive achievement of the film is that it once-and-for-all validates Sweeney as one of the greatest musicals of all time. I myself have been Toby in a large scale production, seen a minimalistic production, and devoured the movie adaptation, and everytime without fail, the show delivers. This is one of, if not the, best movie musical ever adapted to film.
  59. AmyS.
    Dec 26, 2007
    What a fantastic film - the orchestration was masterful, the realization of Sondheim's score and story inspired, and the ending profound and chilling. The pacing of the first half-hour was off, and it especially dragged with amateurs Wisener and Bower onscreen (Wisener's was the only truly unbearable singing of the film). But after Burton hit his stride (right around the time What a fantastic film - the orchestration was masterful, the realization of Sondheim's score and story inspired, and the ending profound and chilling. The pacing of the first half-hour was off, and it especially dragged with amateurs Wisener and Bower onscreen (Wisener's was the only truly unbearable singing of the film). But after Burton hit his stride (right around the time Deep sang the terrific "Epiphany") the film shone as a true masterpiece. Above all, Sondheim's immaculate and genius score was realized brilliantly. Even if you have to close your eyes during the violent bits, your ears will be pleased by the fabulous score that makes this film as brilliant as it is. Cheers to Burton for giving a visual feast that aids Sondheim's music and story without overburdening it. I recommend it to everyone. Expand
  60. Mar 7, 2013
    We knew Johnny Depp was a diverse actor but he really turned his hand to something different with his long time BFF Tim Burton, and this is certainly one of their finer moments in the career long collaborations.
    A re-telling of the classic barber in Fleet Street, Depp stars as the titular barber turned killer after tragedy befalls his happy family.
    The musical score put forward by Steven
    The musical score put forward by Steven Sondheim is wonderfully gripping and heartbreaking, as Sweeney Todd, formerly Benjamin Barker, returns to London to seek revenge on those who wronged him, namely Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman) and Beadle Bamford (Timothy Spall).
    Todd re-opens his barber shop above the pie store, owned by Mrs Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) and quickly establishes himself as quite the dangerously cunning and gentle barber, all aiming to the bigger picture of righting the wrongs of his past. He soon visits a market and we are introduced to the comedic Adolfo Pirelli (Sacha Baron Cohen) who is is a rip-off merchant selling hair growth elixir for bald men.
    The film grows predictably darker and more horrific as the minutes tick on, as does the the musical numbers.
    This is a tale of revenge and despair, and the talent involved do an excellent (and surprising) job of singing their own solo pieces along with the ensemble numbers, Depp is is stellar in what can only be described as a dark and nerving turn as the London barber.
    Burton has perfectly put his own unique gothic touch to proceedings with the characters of Sweeney Todd and Mrs Lovett, who are equally as dangerous yet likeable, never really knowing who we are supposed to dislike throughout the film.
    It has the perfect score to immediately capture and entice the viewer of any particular audience, whether its a catchy and humorous song (Baron Cohen's "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir") or a heartfelt and sombre tone (Todd's "Epiphany"), they all capture the mood and pace of the film, which sets up a thrilling and satisfying final act that will both please and shock.
    Burton and Depp certainly chose a different direction for this film, and was an exceptionally brilliant idea to do so.
  61. Jan 10, 2013
    This movie was was brilliant the ending is such a plot twist that i didnt expect the movie is inspirational (not because i want to kill people because no one can make good movies anymore) and well written the acting is really great and the singing amazing you can really feel for all of the characters in this movie you cant do that with most others but all in all this is one of the bestThis movie was was brilliant the ending is such a plot twist that i didnt expect the movie is inspirational (not because i want to kill people because no one can make good movies anymore) and well written the acting is really great and the singing amazing you can really feel for all of the characters in this movie you cant do that with most others but all in all this is one of the best movies in a long time and you should watch it Expand
  62. Jun 18, 2012
    A fantastic film from start to finish, and definitely Tim Burton's finest. Despite not having any prior musical training, both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are able to deliver the lines and pitches of the musical's songs with feeling, and I especially enjoyed Depp's emotional, simmering performance of the song 'Epiphany'. In fact, pretty much every aspect of Sweeney Todd dripsA fantastic film from start to finish, and definitely Tim Burton's finest. Despite not having any prior musical training, both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are able to deliver the lines and pitches of the musical's songs with feeling, and I especially enjoyed Depp's emotional, simmering performance of the song 'Epiphany'. In fact, pretty much every aspect of Sweeney Todd drips atmosphere and evokes powerful emotions - the brooding score, the mysterious, gothic and haunting depiction of Victorian London, with it's uniformly deathly dark and sombre colours contrasting perfectly with the bright red fountains of blood that gush from Todd's unwitting victims, and the excellent costumes. The only minor niggles are the film's rather short length and Ed Sander's largely too 'Oliver'-like performance. This has to be my favourite film of all time and I highly recommend it. Expand
  63. Dec 6, 2012
    A story from 1846, turned into a ballet in 1959, then into a Broadway musical in 1979, then into a Hollywood screenplay by Tim Burton in 2007. What I really want to know is what possessed Sir Malcom Arnold in the late 1970's to think "Hey! This horror story would make a great musical!". This was the weirdest and most disturbing musical I have ever seen, but I guess since it's a remake of aA story from 1846, turned into a ballet in 1959, then into a Broadway musical in 1979, then into a Hollywood screenplay by Tim Burton in 2007. What I really want to know is what possessed Sir Malcom Arnold in the late 1970's to think "Hey! This horror story would make a great musical!". This was the weirdest and most disturbing musical I have ever seen, but I guess since it's a remake of a Broadway musical it is true to its roots. +10 for Tim Burton having the guts to release Sweeney Todd as a movie. The acting and singing was superb. I'm not sure I ever want to see it again because it is so gory and violent, but it is what it is. BTW: Interesting fact: Johnny Depp was absolutely horrified when he read the script. Because of all of the violence and cannibalism in it? -- Nope. Because for the first few minutes of the film he would have to play a "normal person" - OH THE HORROR!!!! LOL Expand
  64. Aug 15, 2012
    Sweeney Todd, é um dos melhores musicais já produzidos no cinema!
    Depp, Burton e Carter estão em sua melhor forma.
    A obra é tocante, o visual imersivo e a trilha sonora impecável.
  65. Jul 10, 2013
    This movie/musical has the distinction of being my favorite movie, even after nearly 6 years after I saw it the first time. What's good about it? Many things. The costumes are superb, the cinematography is beautiful, and yes, everyone can sing. Johnny Depp, who is always interesting, does what became an Oscar-nominated performance in the title role. It's a reminder that when he is on hisThis movie/musical has the distinction of being my favorite movie, even after nearly 6 years after I saw it the first time. What's good about it? Many things. The costumes are superb, the cinematography is beautiful, and yes, everyone can sing. Johnny Depp, who is always interesting, does what became an Oscar-nominated performance in the title role. It's a reminder that when he is on his game, it's a fabulous ride. This movie is based upon the Stephen Sondheim award-winning musical but is much shorter and the humor is trimmed as well, making this a melodrama instead of a comedy. But, it's still highly entertaining and I would recommend getting a little familiar with the lyrics to the songs before watching because it just makes watching better. Sweeney Todd was Benjamin Barker, a young man with a beautiful family, who is torn apart from them by a lecherous judge, played with appropriate sliminess by Alan Rickman. The New York Times opera critic gave Depp high marks and I think was hoping for more from Helena Bonham Carter (Mrs. Lovett), but she does well enough and shines in songs like A Little Priest, By the Sea, and Not While I'm Around. I do have to admit that I am not a fan of movie musicals, but this one is the exception. One of Tim Burton's best, right up there with Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood. Expand
  66. Jan 14, 2014
    This Is a fantástic film, i just love it
    This Is the best film thath i ever atched
    This Is art
    I love it
    And the actors are the best of the world
    Is just a perfect film
  67. May 13, 2016
    From the acting performances to the addicting songs, I find Sweeney Todd as a nearly flawless musical. There's no thing in this movie that I dislike. It is powerful in every way.
  68. JohnK.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Excellent film, great soundtrack, great story, lovely. Definitely worth your time!
  69. AlbinG
    Feb 3, 2008
    Brilliant stuff. I just find it ashame that the ratings around the net are being dragged down by people giving it poor reviews based on the fact that it is a musical. Some people have actual complaints about the music, which i have no problem with. It's just when people give it 0 siting "it's a musical lol so it must sucks obviously". I thought the music was brilliant. I felt Brilliant stuff. I just find it ashame that the ratings around the net are being dragged down by people giving it poor reviews based on the fact that it is a musical. Some people have actual complaints about the music, which i have no problem with. It's just when people give it 0 siting "it's a musical lol so it must sucks obviously". I thought the music was brilliant. I felt that Anthony was a bit weak in the long run. A few too many mushy glazed leers into the middle-distance. I thought everyone else did their job well. Good music, good singing, good entertainment. Some excellent suspense work, as well as lots of (thematically justified) blood. I was gripped after 5 minutes. Good stuff all round. Expand
  70. Nico.
    Mar 10, 2008
    This film is so cool, i can't forget all the songs and the blood.
  71. SimonB.
    Apr 6, 2008
    I've been a movie-goer since I was little. I've been watching movies on and off the TV. There isn't much I haven't already seen and there isn't much I can't compare to something else. For once, we get a movie that's quality, that's creative. It's a remake of a play and it shows. I think with all the effort put through this , some people (COUGH I've been a movie-goer since I was little. I've been watching movies on and off the TV. There isn't much I haven't already seen and there isn't much I can't compare to something else. For once, we get a movie that's quality, that's creative. It's a remake of a play and it shows. I think with all the effort put through this , some people (COUGH PHIL.D COUGH) should have more consideration. Instead of hating the movie just because it's made by Tim Burton, you should try actually watching it. I am a musician and I would say that the camera play was dead-on with the music. It always FIT it was always where it should be. Timing things such as gestures to every beat made it all the more interesting as a musical comedy. The plot was simply revenge involving Judge Turpin and Benjamin (AKA Sweeney Todd) Barker, played by J-Depp. Johnny Depp is a brilliant actor, as Tim Burton said it, the actors weren't meant to be full of life in their movements, because that's what the make-up was for. How contradictory would it be for a "cold, bitter man" to play "lively musical dancer", do you think? The singing I wouldn't find anything "embarrassing" into as some have said. Johnny Depp didn't strike a note wrong and he was singing very well. Everything playing in that movie I found catchy and it's really cruel to pretend that it's nothing but scrap heap. There was TREMENDOUS effort put through this by the actors and the crew. There aren't bad movies: Just bad audiences. Expand
  72. DeborahL.
    Dec 24, 2007
    Burton seems to have made every choice correctly, from the intense but unshowy singing to the borderline bizarre art direction, finding the humanity in the inhumane and making you believe the whole ghastly business. And the music is exquisite!
  73. ChadS.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Laugh at the man who sings showtunes and he'll slice your throat. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" actually made me smile...at blood. It's not the blood itself; it's the blood in juxtaposition with song, and that is a combination audiences have never seen before. "Sweeney Todd" is unbelievably violent. The filmmaker miraculously finds the right tone for all Laugh at the man who sings showtunes and he'll slice your throat. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" actually made me smile...at blood. It's not the blood itself; it's the blood in juxtaposition with song, and that is a combination audiences have never seen before. "Sweeney Todd" is unbelievably violent. The filmmaker miraculously finds the right tone for all those slit throats that fall somewhere between graphic and whimsical. Johnny Depp(imagine Nick Cave) and Helena Bonham Carter(imagine Siouxsie Sioux) are brilliant as Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett. They're sociopaths. They don't have an ounce of good in them. The filmmaker had the guts to make both leads completely ruthless and evil. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" accomplishes the unthinkable; it's a guy's night out musical. Expand
  74. TomR.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Visually stunning. Burton does more for black dark hued films than most black and white movies. The singing is a bit thin. Both Depp and Helena Boham Carter have comparatively quiet voices. They make up for it with their acting. If you loved the musical you will love the movie. Audience unfamiliar with SWT may find the movie quite a shock. The movie is awash with spurting arterial blood. Visually stunning. Burton does more for black dark hued films than most black and white movies. The singing is a bit thin. Both Depp and Helena Boham Carter have comparatively quiet voices. They make up for it with their acting. If you loved the musical you will love the movie. Audience unfamiliar with SWT may find the movie quite a shock. The movie is awash with spurting arterial blood. But then thats what you would expect. The audience we saw the film murmured a lot at the end of the picture. Actually listening to the soundtrack at home after the movie, proved richer. Theater sound systems are built more to deal with explosions and dialogue. So I think the recording does a better job at capturing music. What impressed me about the film was how I understood every lyric sung in the musical dialogue. I heard lyrics much clearer than I have often heard in live theatre. If you like Sweeney Todd the musical...I can't imagine you won't like the movie. Expand
  75. Mayna
    Jan 1, 2008
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! Besides the stupid unneccesary blood that they put in, it was purely wonderful!!
  76. TanmayS.
    Feb 5, 2008
    too operatic to be involving, and the music gets to you after a point. But brilliant, not least for its performances.
  77. BrandonM.
    May 10, 2008
    One of my favorite films! I love how the music was used to tell the story rather than to overdue the certain topic at hand; as most musical films do. This film reminds me of the old Tim Burton films, with the dark pale skin, sunken eyes, and dark backgrounds (even though its day). Johnny Depp was extremely good in this part, even with him singing! I highly recommend this film.
  78. MaxG.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful, but I would have liked the entire repetoire rather than the few they chose for time constraints.
  79. DonK.
    Dec 24, 2007
    Tons of grim fun, faithful to the stage play.
  80. MichaelP.
    Dec 25, 2007
    Having grown up in England learning about the gruesome history of London in through the 1700s and 1800s it was good to see a film that was able to depict these dark times perfectly and at the same time be very entertaining. People who complain that this isn't as good as the original musical need to come to the realization that this film is not the original musical, and was designed Having grown up in England learning about the gruesome history of London in through the 1700s and 1800s it was good to see a film that was able to depict these dark times perfectly and at the same time be very entertaining. People who complain that this isn't as good as the original musical need to come to the realization that this film is not the original musical, and was designed to fit a broader audience. Expand
  81. KevinD.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Sondheim's score and Burton's vision come together perfectly. Visually appealing and aurally entrancing. A masterpiece of stage to screen adaptations.
  82. JohnB.
    Jan 1, 2008
    I'm not much of a fan of musicals. Sitting through things like "The Sound of Music" is sheer torture for me. I was intrigued with the overall plot of Sweeney Todd, but I still had misgivings about the fact that it is still a musical. As it turns out, seeing this movie was a superb, if uneasy, experience. This is a dark, dark, sardonic movie, with unexpected comic turns. The I'm not much of a fan of musicals. Sitting through things like "The Sound of Music" is sheer torture for me. I was intrigued with the overall plot of Sweeney Todd, but I still had misgivings about the fact that it is still a musical. As it turns out, seeing this movie was a superb, if uneasy, experience. This is a dark, dark, sardonic movie, with unexpected comic turns. The dreariness of the cinematagraphy is almost numbing, and yet it mostly works given the plot. Depp is astounding in the lead. I saw the movie without any baggage from having seen any previous Broadway versions, and so I am judging the movie on its own merits rather than by comparison. Much of the music does seem to have a rather dated quality to it, which doesn't mean that it's not good. It just took me a while to be immersed in it, and before too long I was able to enjoy it about as much as most contemporary music that I like. The lyrics, in a number of instances, are just brilliantly, comically vicious. In a world in which people are routinely devouring each other, why not do it right and make folks into delicious pies. The idea rings even truer now than decades ago when this musical first hit Broadway. It's a positively Swiftian premise. I heartily recommend this movie for people who can stomach it. The gore, the cutting, the dumping of the bodies with a sickening thud 15 or so feet below Sweeney's establishment - not for the squeamish. But if you are the kind of person who finds a perverse delight in hearing lyrics like, "We all deserve to die," then this is a movie event you should not miss. Expand
  83. CassianJ.
    Jan 28, 2008
    If there is a musical more suited to the magical Tim Burton than Sweeney Todd I will be very surprised. This really is a match made in heaven, high octaves and oceans of blood shaken into a delightful Burton cocktail. I am not familiar with he source material so do not know how faithful the movie is, but the movie had the feeling of a stage show with only a few sets used ah but what If there is a musical more suited to the magical Tim Burton than Sweeney Todd I will be very surprised. This really is a match made in heaven, high octaves and oceans of blood shaken into a delightful Burton cocktail. I am not familiar with he source material so do not know how faithful the movie is, but the movie had the feeling of a stage show with only a few sets used ah but what beautiful Gothic sets they are lending the movie a cartoonish Gothic feel). The songs are well staged with Johnny Depp in particular benefiting from no singing lessons delivery his lines instead with a sense of menace and madness. Depp as ever delivers a stunning performance helped as usual by Burton Expand
  84. MS
    Jan 3, 2008
    Would have received 10 out of 10 save for a couple of things that didn't make sense: - opening scene blood is pretty poor - you're stabbing with a razor? you DO realize that the end is blunt, right? - the movie needed a conclusion of some sort (this isn't the stage, Tim Burton) - even if it happened during the end credits
  85. BillS.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Having seen the original Broadway production, both revivals of the show on Broadway and several other versions of "Sweeney Todd" over the years, I was not sure of what to expect with the film version. I was very plesantly surpized, however, with the resulting film which I believe captures the essence on the original show while making it work for nthe screen. I found some of the Having seen the original Broadway production, both revivals of the show on Broadway and several other versions of "Sweeney Todd" over the years, I was not sure of what to expect with the film version. I was very plesantly surpized, however, with the resulting film which I believe captures the essence on the original show while making it work for nthe screen. I found some of the blood-squirting a bit "over the top", but the performances, sets, costumes, screenplay and especially the orchestrations excellent. I have seen nearly all of the critically-praised films of the year and this one ranks with the best. It deserves to be nominated for a bunch of oscars and should win in several categories including "Best Picture" and Director. The original play is not easy to produce on stage and this adaptation is wonderful. It could well have been awful. I cannot wait to see it again (most of Sondheim's shows are best seen more than once because there is so much to savor). Glorious music, lots of great wit and not a dull moment. The movie holds your attention. You won't fall asleep during this one.....for Sweeney may get you if you do! Expand
  86. ColinB
    Feb 2, 2008
    The most bloodilicious film I've seen in ages, and yet the most entertaining film of the holiday season. This is certainly the best of the Depp-Burton collaborations since Edward Scissorhands. Depp will mesmerize you as he slices and sings his way through the role of Todd, and Helena Bonham Carter's exclusion from a supporting actress nomination makes me want to grind the The most bloodilicious film I've seen in ages, and yet the most entertaining film of the holiday season. This is certainly the best of the Depp-Burton collaborations since Edward Scissorhands. Depp will mesmerize you as he slices and sings his way through the role of Todd, and Helena Bonham Carter's exclusion from a supporting actress nomination makes me want to grind the academy into meat pies. The set design is stunning as well, portraying a filthy, undesirable, yet surprising intimate setting. While the film has to take a few deep breaths to start chugging away at the beginning, Sweeney Todd is well worth it. Expand
  87. LeticiaH.
    Feb 22, 2008
    I really liked this movie! I thought it was great and I don't like musicals at all but this was a good one!
  88. FelixK.
    Feb 23, 2008
    I've seen the German version of the movie and the one and only thing that disturbed me is that we had to read subtitles while hearing the english text sung by the German dub actors. But I can't understand why this film didn't receive nominees for "Best Motion Picture" ; "Best Achievement In Directing" for Tim Burton; "Best Leading Actress" for Helena Carter and "Best I've seen the German version of the movie and the one and only thing that disturbed me is that we had to read subtitles while hearing the english text sung by the German dub actors. But I can't understand why this film didn't receive nominees for "Best Motion Picture" ; "Best Achievement In Directing" for Tim Burton; "Best Leading Actress" for Helena Carter and "Best Supporting Actor" for Alan Rickman. Definitely worth money and time and - by the way - the best cooperation ever of Burton and Depp !!! Expand
  89. GeorgeW.
    Dec 21, 2007
    This film is yet another fantastic journey by my favorite tour guide Tim Burton! Johnny Depp's screen prescence can be felt all the way to the back row of even the largest theater. This film is Dark, Brooding, Sarcastic and beautiful! a must see!
  90. SethF.
    Dec 21, 2007
    May turn off some due to the blood and gore, but overall it's extremely effective and riveting. ONE of the best films of this season.
  91. MattA.
    Dec 21, 2007
    I admit...i am not a big fan of musicals. However, this was a beautiful work of art visually and through it's powerful score. Burton pulled no punches and made a wonderful gorefest that is not for the squeamish. The singing may not be top notch...but Helena Bonham Carter was amazing as Ms. Lovett, and made it all worth while.
  92. DavidH.
    Dec 22, 2007
    I am about as die-hard a Sweeney Todd fan as it gets, and I couldn't get enough. Sondheim laid the ground work with his incomparable score and the rest followed suit. As far as movie musicals, this worked, in the fashion that Chicago worked. Well done.
  93. JonR.
    Dec 22, 2007
    I'm very happy Burton didn't skimp on the gore!
  94. S.E.R.
    Dec 23, 2007
    I am a long time Sondheim and Sweeney Todd fan and have seen several versions of the stage production. While I could quibble with some of the omissions, I thought the movie was true to Sondheim. Having read some of the criticism of Helena Bonham Carter, I was very impressed with what she did with the part---in many ways a deeper interpretation than the others I have seen.
  95. Taxi
    Dec 27, 2007
    The only reason I don't give it a 10 is that I really hate slasher movies, but this slasher movie has so much style, wit and artistry that I rate it amongst the best films I've seen in years.
  96. PaulK.
    Dec 31, 2007
    There was more singing than i thought there would be...a musical lite, this aint, but still fun and worth seeing.
  97. JosephA
    Jan 15, 2008
    Excellent, excellent movie.
  98. ChristopherJ.
    May 28, 2008
    This musical shows what happens when hate consumes you, and it does it in a brilliantly entertaining manner. It's funny, it's clever, it's visually striking, it's consuming, it's great. It's a modern tragedy.
  99. Laurens
    Jan 19, 2009
    Blood curly, sad, melodramatic sensastion combined with Boham Carter, Depp and Burton to create one of the biggest motion pictures of 2007. Defiently on my favorites list. Loved it! Wonderful movie, btw: NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH.
  100. MrToad
    Dec 23, 2007
    Very visual, Gothic, bloody. Mostly successful without awkwardness. Fully entertaining, when you take into account that it's, well, Sweeney Todd.

1. Teaming with Depp, his long-time alter ego, Burton makes Sweeney a smoldering dark pit of fury and hate that consumes itself. With his sturdy acting and surprisingly good voice, Depp is a Sweeney Todd for the ages.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Both sharp and fleet, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street proves a satisfying screen version of Stephen Sondheim’s landmark 1979 theatrical musical.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Depp is such a soulful presence he gives you a glimpse of this maniac's pain and pathos. Bonham Carter is extraordinary. She reinvents Mrs. Lovett from the inside out.