7.6

1. Jul 27, 2013
    i gave up the third time a character in this film discussed the colour of excrement. I think it sums it up as scatological gibberish. It may well be one of the best american independent movies but that says more about the state of US cinema than it does about this tedious self-indulgent nonsense. Hard to say what's more depressing the film itself or the amount of time, talent and moneyi gave up the third time a character in this film discussed the colour of excrement. I think it sums it up as scatological gibberish. It may well be one of the best american independent movies but that says more about the state of US cinema than it does about this tedious self-indulgent nonsense. Hard to say what's more depressing the film itself or the amount of time, talent and money wasted on making it. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    I love Philip Seymour Hoffman. That being said, this is long and confusing. It is a convoluted cluster-f**k of overly-ambitious ideas and poor directing. The plot of this...this...thing is the equivalent to the nonsensical ramblings that spill from a homeless man's mouth as he succumbs to dementia on the street corner. In short, Synecdoche, New York is a frustrating waste of time.
  3. Jan 19, 2015
    Synecdoche New York was booed when it was first screened at cannes. Having now seen it, I know why. First off let us say in defence of Synecdoche New York, that it is quite nicely lit and the art direction creates a visual atmosphere that is both elegant and soothing. Now all that's missing is a meaningful script, a decent director and a reason why. Synecdoche New York is the sort ofSynecdoche New York was booed when it was first screened at cannes. Having now seen it, I know why. First off let us say in defence of Synecdoche New York, that it is quite nicely lit and the art direction creates a visual atmosphere that is both elegant and soothing. Now all that's missing is a meaningful script, a decent director and a reason why. Synecdoche New York is the sort of self-important twaddle that makes audiences snore and critics grovel. The meta-physical mumbo-jumbo the film exudes makes no sense whatsoever and the film itself resists unlocking. Prepare to be told that it's a masterpiece. One over-zealous critic called it a "religious experience". No wonder church attendance is low on sunday.
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman came across as the only actor who actually gave a damn about the film. But his performance is so thoroughly engulfed in the long shadow of pretentiousness cast by hack writer/director Charlie Kaufman that it's hard to praise it. It's a real shame because Synecdoche New York has enough poetry for several great films but Kaufman somehow manages to muff it up. He's made a 2 hour bore-fest that possesses no thematic substance whatsoever. This is a failure of epic proportions. You've got to be a genius to make a movie this bad.
  4. Dec 7, 2014

1. Synecdoche is the kind of movie that rewards repeated viewings. But sometimes, as Van Morrison sings, it's just best to "sail into the mystic."
    You have never seen a movie quite like this one.
    As the movie rambles along with its own brand of quasi-magical surrealism, the links to real experience grow scarcer and more frayed.