Tadpole

7.6

1. NolanB.
    Oct 6, 2002
    Falls into the same trappings as Igby. This Tadpole never makes it out of the stream.
  2. ChadS.
    Aug 17, 2002
    Aaron Stanford would make an excellent Holden Caulfield. "Tadpole" made me long for a mounting of the J.D. Salinger classic when Oscar(Stanford) roams around the New York exteriors, looking thoughtful and forlorn. Stanford is good as Oscar Grubman but "Tadpole" plays matters too safe when it prevents us from feeling sorry for the potential victim and anger towards the seducer because the Aaron Stanford would make an excellent Holden Caulfield. "Tadpole" made me long for a mounting of the J.D. Salinger classic when Oscar(Stanford) roams around the New York exteriors, looking thoughtful and forlorn. Stanford is good as Oscar Grubman but "Tadpole" plays matters too safe when it prevents us from feeling sorry for the potential victim and anger towards the seducer because the filmmakers didn't want the risk of having an unlikable protagonist. "Tadpole" would've been a lot more interesting if Oscar had to deal with the ramifications of his deadly crush. Instead, we get a cute ending to a smart but punch-pulling movie. If Todd Solondz wanted to make an audience-friendly film, yet maintain some of his old edge, it would look an awful like "Tadpole". (If the name Bebe Neuwirth to you is synonymous with Lilith Crane, you have no inkling about her bottomless resevoir of comedic talents.) Expand
  3. MichaelF.
    Jul 22, 2002
    Really really fun, funny, smart and cute. It's a really good indie. It's touching and quick. It really captures that upper east side feeling that I miss so so much from movies. John Ritter is very good. Aaron Standford is great. Sigourney Weaver is fine. Robert Iler is surprisingly terrible, just completely not believable. It's quick and fun.
  4. MikeyG
    Jul 22, 2002
    Easily the funniest movie I've seen all year. However, this is intelligent funny. Some people don't get that. Bebe Neuwirth is friggen' hot as the stepmom's best friend! 40 my ass! The actor portraying the title character is very good and reminded me of Topher Grace. Why didn't he get this role? In any case, he does a great job. John Ritter is also excellent as Easily the funniest movie I've seen all year. However, this is intelligent funny. Some people don't get that. Bebe Neuwirth is friggen' hot as the stepmom's best friend! 40 my ass! The actor portraying the title character is very good and reminded me of Topher Grace. Why didn't he get this role? In any case, he does a great job. John Ritter is also excellent as the father. Not long at all, this movie flies by. A bit of nudity would have helped, specially from Bebe. However, this movie is still very worthwhile to check out if you like to laugh with your brain. Expand
  5. BlancoA.
    Jul 20, 2002
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Comparisons to Rushmore are a little unfair. Rushmore relies much more on quirky humor, absurdities, etc. The humor in this film comes much more organically. Tadpole has a terrific energy about it, and Bebe Neuwirth is amazingly solid in her role. I didn't think the kid could pull off his role when the movie began, but he did One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Comparisons to Rushmore are a little unfair. Rushmore relies much more on quirky humor, absurdities, etc. The humor in this film comes much more organically. Tadpole has a terrific energy about it, and Bebe Neuwirth is amazingly solid in her role. I didn't think the kid could pull off his role when the movie began, but he did a decent job. The fact that the thing was shot on digital didn't bother me at all. Oh yeah, and the kid from "The Sopranos" does a great job as the friend. He has a future as the straight in comedic situation comedies (or sexual farces...whatever....) Expand
  6. YoriD.
    Aug 12, 2003
    Was initially slightly irritated but got over the digital camera shooting. this is not your typical film. it's funny;subtle,adult and thoughtfully f-u-n-n-y.the performances are excellent and loved the quotes and that the film kept it's mood and integrity instead of becoming "dramatic" for the sake of it....special movie that i will recommend with a great big grin.
  7. JayB.
    Jul 19, 2002
    Wonderfully acted. Absolutely great debut performance by Aaron Stanford!
  8. HarveyV.
    Aug 18, 2002
    I know "The Graduate". And "Tadpole" is no "Graduate".
  9. BrianL.
    Aug 26, 2002
    A wonderful movie. It's a shame it won't get the attention it deserves. There's not a single boring or dull moment in the entire movie. We need more movies that assume the viewer actually knows something.

But as likable as it is, Tadpole is hardly a maturing woman's revenge movie, but another male fantasy -- that of the sexually nurturing mother figure. If only all coming-of-age sexual experiences could be as healthy and wholesome.
    It's a funny, fearless, poignant, spectacular performance. Come to think of it, those words could well apply to the entirety of Tadpole.
    Written in wisps and watery double-entendres by Heather McGowan and Niels Mueller, and the movie is so benign that its proceedings are beside the point.