5.6

1. Dec 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the first Taken movie quite a lot. It had energetic action, fine performances and an intensely entertaining story, BUT, the plot was simple. So it comes as a surprise that there is a sequel to that movie, and boy, what a bland movie seriously. Everything that it was good about the first film is no longer here, other than a typically solid performance from Liam Neeson.

The retired CIA agent Bryan Mills invites his teenage daughter Kim and his ex-wife Lenore, who has separated from her second husband, to spend a couple of days in Istanbul where he is working. Meanwhile, the patriarch of the community of the Albanian gang of human trafficking, Murad Krasniqi, seeks revenge for the death of his son and organizes another gang to kidnap Bryan and his family. Bryan and Lenore are abducted by the Albanians, but Kim escapes and is the only hope that Bryan has to escape and save Lenore.

I have to give this movie credit that it's entertaining to some extent, but like I said in my reviews (if you don't read my reviews, please go check it out, they're pretty accurate), a movie being "entertaining" is not enough to fulfill a moviegoer's expectation. In fact, after seeing this movie, I felt... nothing. The movie is so empty and so incoherent that makes me feel nothing. You don't know if the movie has a final act because it's basically this: The guy kidnaps his wife, 5 minutes later Liam Neeson finds her, kills the goons and rescues her. That's it? Nothing else? Pfff. And look, if you wanna go see this movie just because of the villain, you might wanna rethink about it because the antagonist is so underdeveloped. Honestly, I could describe the villain completely in 5 words: A guy who wants revenge.

If you enjoyed the first one, I'm pretty sure you'll hate this one because even the action here becomes repetitive therefore, dull. Liam Neeson does his best but he can't save this utter crap from an incoherently empty story, monotonous action and an underwritten villain. God, this movie does suck.

Next Taken movie: The villain's son arrives to kill Liam Neeson by stealing his toothpaste.
  2. Oct 8, 2014
    This may be the worst sequel ever made...everything that made the first movie good like the gritty realism in the hand to hand fighting, and the short and sweet gunfights that weren't over the top and essential turned the film into a polar opposite of itself...of course now the studio assumes anything liam neeson will do is gold, they were wrong..
    Now i can't tell if he cares more about
    Now i can't tell if he cares more about getting his ex wife Back or his daughters driving lessons..
    sigh... its hard to accurately sum up all the misfires in this movie becuase the entire film feels forced...nothing is believeable and by the end you don't care who lives or dies Collaps
  3. Oct 4, 2014
    This movie is way worse than the original. The plot was super weak. The action sequences were well done but that's about it. Hopefully Taken 3 will be better.
  4. Sep 2, 2014
    Taken 2 takes everything we loved from the original film and... does it again. I will admit portions were fresh and still riveting. Regardless, this sequel falls in the shadows of its precursor.
  5. Feb 14, 2014
    Not nearly as enjoyable and thrilling as the first film. It seems like the addition sequel was unnecessary and pointless. Not on every aspect of the film though.
  6. Jan 18, 2014
    This is a lazy, shallow and boring sequel to the original impressive Taken. The entire film is filled with nothing but pure shooting and killing which, to be honest, can't be compared to any of Steven Seagal's action movies. The heart-touching element that made Taken successful was completely missing in Taken 2, which obviously led to a total disgraceful failure that no one should everThis is a lazy, shallow and boring sequel to the original impressive Taken. The entire film is filled with nothing but pure shooting and killing which, to be honest, can't be compared to any of Steven Seagal's action movies. The heart-touching element that made Taken successful was completely missing in Taken 2, which obviously led to a total disgraceful failure that no one should ever wasted time on. Expand
  7. Dec 23, 2013
    This movie was disappointed. I can't believe that I was pulled from solving Mathematical equations to go and watch this. This movie needed more and a proper finish.
  8. Dec 21, 2013
    Cliché, predictable, short and simple. If someone asked "What is the definition of a standard American movie?" it would be this. But make no mistake; despite being a carbon copy of just about everything, it still delivers. It achieves what it set out to do. No, it's not a Bourne film nor is it trying to be. The thing about Taken and Taken 2 is how they take a very basic background andCliché, predictable, short and simple. If someone asked "What is the definition of a standard American movie?" it would be this. But make no mistake; despite being a carbon copy of just about everything, it still delivers. It achieves what it set out to do. No, it's not a Bourne film nor is it trying to be. The thing about Taken and Taken 2 is how they take a very basic background and make it come to life. Sure, there's nothing out of the ordinary or new or surprising. But to be honest, it's not always a bad thing. Taken 2 has action, it has suspense and it genuinely delivers a very intense 89 minutes. It's one of those films where you lean forward if you know what I mean. I wouldn't say it improves on the original, but is just as good. Expand
  9. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Taken 2 is worth watching, but for most who watched the original it`s going to disappoint.I like how the bad guys are related to the ones in Taken 1, but wish they just let the wife and daughter get kidnapped instead of mother, and husband. I would find it much more fun if he was tracking them down the whole movie, trying to find them, than taking care of business. Expand
  10. Oct 18, 2013
    About 40 minutes into this film I was presented with an unexpected but not entirely unwelcome choice: I could either carry on with the film or start watching my old fart of a neighbour paint his decking through my living room window. Steve went for a 'rich teak' Ronseal coat. No regrets.
  11. Sep 8, 2013
    A well shot film making full use of its surroundings, Istanbul in this case. Well paced with the level action keeping the adrenalin pumping almost from the start. The performances were all very good although I felt nobody was particularly stretched. Liam Neeson was his usual self as Bryan Mills, Maggie Grace was good as daughter Kim, as was Famke Janssen as wife Lenore. Also worthy of noteA well shot film making full use of its surroundings, Istanbul in this case. Well paced with the level action keeping the adrenalin pumping almost from the start. The performances were all very good although I felt nobody was particularly stretched. Liam Neeson was his usual self as Bryan Mills, Maggie Grace was good as daughter Kim, as was Famke Janssen as wife Lenore. Also worthy of note was Rade Serbedzija as major bad guy, Murad Krasniqi. It was ok as a piece of entertainment but I felt it didn’t do anything the first film didn’t. You usually expect a sequel to expand on the story of the first but this one virtually told the same story but with a couple of alterations. It seemed like the studio (Fox) were just out to cash in on the success of the first one. I’m just glad I didn’t go and watch it in a cinema but still, if you want entertainment that won’t stretch the little grey cells to much, then this is the one for you.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (Just)

My score: 6.3/10.
  12. Jun 25, 2013
    I went expecting smart, original and new storytelling, with epic action sequences and suspense, but what I got was Taken repeating itself in Taken 2, there is some clever parts, but it can't rescue the movie from falling apart.
  13. Jun 4, 2013
    "While i have the utmost respect for Liam Neeson & he truly is a badass. But Taken 2 truly is mess. Its basically a re-hash of the first outing and is nowhere near as entertaining either. I'm going to say Rent It just because i loved the first one so much" C
  14. May 27, 2013
    I dislike almost all his movies, The Grey, Taken, Clash of the Titans, Wrath of the Titans, Battleship Unknown The A-Team, The Dark Knight Rises, The Chronicles of Narnia 1,2,3.
  15. May 19, 2013
    Why not make a sequel to one of the surprises of 2008? There's plenty more happening in the second outing for Bryan Mills, the retired CIA man who is obsessive, vigilant and on time precisely to the minute he said he would be.
    But what the films premise does is bring an idea which so many other films leave out of the occasion, all the bad guys that are gunned down yet nobody seems to care about them? Incorrect in Taken 2. A mass funeral is being held for the unfortunate men who crossed Bryan in the first film, and revenge is on the agenda for the families of those he killed. But back in LA, Bryan is steadily moving closer to his ex- wife Lenore, played again by the beautiful Famke Janssen, while also continuing his overbearing but respected father routine to Kim Maggie Grace).
    When he invites the two of them to Istanbul while he guards a Sheik, things take a turn when Bryan and Lenore are are out. Through careful instructions to his eventually safe daughter, he manages to work out where he and his ex-wife are being held, the process by which he does this may raise a few eyebrows..but it's quite a cleverly constructed scene that certainly gets all the characters more involved in this sequel.
    No, it isn't as good as the first, but saying that it shouldn't entirely be viewed as a sequel, each character is given more involvement in this film to the point where it isn't entirely necessary to have seen the first, this perhaps may be a good thing because this isn't as engaging or surprising, we already know what lengths Bryan will go to, we know what he is capable of and quite frankly we don't see this sort of side to him in this film.
    It's not so much a remake but maybe even a continuation without actually being a sequel. The same sort of edginess is gone and replaced with an array of doubling back efforts and countless chases, the emotional depth from the plot of the first film involving Kim being sold as a prostitute is gone, we no longer need to feel for these characters but just seem to be lead to enjoy the film without thinking about it.
    Still a decent action flick with plenty to smile and talk about, but the film ultimately doesn't reach the surprising heights its predecessor did, much of the flare is gone, but again, worth a look anyway.
  16. May 17, 2013
    I'm a huge Liam Neeson fan, and a huge fan of the first Taken. Despite this I wasn't sure that a sequel to Taken would turn out good. First of all a sequel was unnecessary, and movies that get unnecessary sequels (The Hangover, The Mummy) usually suffer in the long run because the sequels never live up to the original movie. Well turns out I was right, Taken 2 never lives up to the firstI'm a huge Liam Neeson fan, and a huge fan of the first Taken. Despite this I wasn't sure that a sequel to Taken would turn out good. First of all a sequel was unnecessary, and movies that get unnecessary sequels (The Hangover, The Mummy) usually suffer in the long run because the sequels never live up to the original movie. Well turns out I was right, Taken 2 never lives up to the first movie and just feels unnecessary. But that doesn't mean that the movie isn't enjoyable. It's a decent action flick and it will keep you watching to the end, but you'll notice that it lacks the punch and originality that the first movie had. In the end I enjoyed the movie even though it felt like a generic action flick with a spectacular cast. In closing I just want to say this to whoever is in charge of these kinds of things, do NOT make a Taken 3. You got lucky this time but don't push your luck with a 3rd movie. Expand
  17. May 7, 2013
    Taken 2 is unbelievably disappointing. It starts out promisingly; the hero is just as likable as in first film and the new villain has a sensible, efficient motivation. Unfortunately, the film goes badly wrong when the action starts. The fights and car chases that follow are all generic and unexciting. Worse still, some of the logic in the movie is stupefying... A girl without a driver'sTaken 2 is unbelievably disappointing. It starts out promisingly; the hero is just as likable as in first film and the new villain has a sensible, efficient motivation. Unfortunately, the film goes badly wrong when the action starts. The fights and car chases that follow are all generic and unexciting. Worse still, some of the logic in the movie is stupefying... A girl without a driver's license can suddenly drive like Jason Bourne, repeatedly setting off grenades in a metropolitan area does no damage and alerts minimal security and apparently, driving through a US embassy checkpoint at high speed, thus causing soldiers to open fire warrants no detention or subsequent investigation. What a total mess of a movie! The first one was classic. This one is utter jank. Expand
  18. Apr 27, 2013
    Not only this sequel is unnecessary, it lacks all that which made the original outstanding. What was the original Taken about in the first place? It was about Liam Neeson kicking some serious ass in a very realistic and believable way. Here it seems like it's not Neeson himself, but his double or something. The fight scenes are awkward, poorly staged and feature an honest-to-god awfulNot only this sequel is unnecessary, it lacks all that which made the original outstanding. What was the original Taken about in the first place? It was about Liam Neeson kicking some serious ass in a very realistic and believable way. Here it seems like it's not Neeson himself, but his double or something. The fight scenes are awkward, poorly staged and feature an honest-to-god awful operator job, where you can''t really make out a single freaking thing. What's more, the dialogues are stupid and (in my opinion, at least) poorly acted out. The final nails in the coffin are bloody disgusting CG effects (I almost vomited at that car explosion) and the dumbass main villain. The thing is, the answer to this quality drop is quite obvious the director changed. Now it's Olivier Megaton, the f**khead who brought us Transporter-3, it makes sense. So please, if there'll be yet another unwanted sequel, either make it straight-to-DVD so I won't even hear of it or return Pierre Morel to the director's seat. Expand
  19. Apr 9, 2013
    Well, you know, the first was great, but as usual sequels go on, this movie got me to think at one time "Does this even have a point?". It was kind of stupid, honestly, but because of the action sequences it brings, I'm gonna give it a 4, not to give it the red label.
  20. Mar 10, 2013
    I found this film to be just stupid. From the grenade throwing to the driving scenes to the pointless villains, there needed to be a different script. Liam Neeson is still good here, but I could have done with less of the family.
  21. Mar 3, 2013
    Almost as good as the first one. I was surprised at how good it was and how well it lived up to Taken 1's standards. Hopefully their's not a third one because that would probabaly ruin it all.
  22. Feb 23, 2013
    an obvious money grab of a movie. The plot meanders to a point where the flick is simply not believable. The action scenes and pace of the movie are enjoyable.
  23. Feb 14, 2013
    So...a pointless sequel right? Well you are almost there, you see Taken 2 didn't need to happen nor was it as good as its predecessor however it did not deserve the hate it received due to it still being a generally great action film.
    Taken 2 starts in Albania where the families of some of the mobsters from the previous film live, tier dead bodies return home and their fathers brothers swear revenge on Brian and his family. Brian is now living a happy life with constant contact with his daughter Kim and is even building back his relationship with his ex-wife Lenore. On a trip to Istanbul the mobsters track the family down taking Brian and Lenore hostage. It is up to Kim to rescue them and Brian to put an end to this horrible affair once and for all.

Taken 2 ticks all the boxes for a great action film with a nicely tied together story. It has more action than Taken 1 and despite the lower age rating feels more brutal. The only real complaints I have are the overly choppy camera work and editing and that the story does still leave a few questions unanswered and a possibility (though not necessity) of a Taken 3.
    Taken 2 is a great action movie and despite the generally negative and middling reviews still something you should pick up if you are a fan of the genre.
  24. Jan 29, 2013
    Taken 2. This movie can be described in one word. Underrated. This movie was ultimately a fitting sequel to the first taken movie. Liam Neeson once again pulled of Bryan Mills with great swagger. The star of this movie though had to be Maggie Grace who portayed Mill's daughter. She took the helm of this film as if it was her own not Neesons. The action sequences I found to be longer andTaken 2. This movie can be described in one word. Underrated. This movie was ultimately a fitting sequel to the first taken movie. Liam Neeson once again pulled of Bryan Mills with great swagger. The star of this movie though had to be Maggie Grace who portayed Mill's daughter. She took the helm of this film as if it was her own not Neesons. The action sequences I found to be longer and flowed more unlike the first taken film which contained short and choppy fight scenes and this movie stuck to one villain unlike the 1st one which never really established a villain and all the ones that it had were wimpy. I did find myself comparing him to the most interesting man in the world commercials though ha ha. Also Luc Besson did a great job penning this movie which ddi not surprise me. The only complaint I had with this movie was the camera work which was indeed atrocious. That is the only reason I gave this an 8 and not higher. Overall I enjoyed this movie. Not as much as the first but it was still a fun thrill ride that proved to be worth the wait for. Expand
  25. Jan 24, 2013
    Taken 2 is a sequel that ignored everything that was so much fun about the first movie, and decided to be a predictable waste of cash. I was a big fan of the first film because it was simple entertainment and Liam Neeson was perfect for the role, but now they have done the exact same thing all over again, but now he has brought his ex-wife into the mix. When I first heard they were goingTaken 2 is a sequel that ignored everything that was so much fun about the first movie, and decided to be a predictable waste of cash. I was a big fan of the first film because it was simple entertainment and Liam Neeson was perfect for the role, but now they have done the exact same thing all over again, but now he has brought his ex-wife into the mix. When I first heard they were going to make a sequel to Taken I was kind of excited because I hoped they would make it as fun as the first one, but sadly I was wrong. It does give some fun action scenes and Liam Neeson is still great in the role, but it does not make up for its pathetic story that was just an excuse to make some cash off the entertaining first movie. I mean we all have seen sequels that Hollywood only made to earn some cash, but here we see a movie that took absolutely no effort to write or think about. I think the writers just said "how can we take a fun movie and make a sequel that has no reason to exist" and they created this dull and lazy sequel. I didn't enjoy this sequel, and it depresses me that they took away everything that I loved about the first movie. Expand
  26. Jan 23, 2013
    To be fair, when I heard there was going to be a second Taken I was very skeptical. Taken was a great film, but Taken 2? One of the worst experiences of sitting through a movie I have witnessed. Not only is the story line boring, and a little stupid, but it rushes and before I knew it we were at the end of the movie. I didn't find myself understanding the motive behind kidnapping Neeson'sTo be fair, when I heard there was going to be a second Taken I was very skeptical. Taken was a great film, but Taken 2? One of the worst experiences of sitting through a movie I have witnessed. Not only is the story line boring, and a little stupid, but it rushes and before I knew it we were at the end of the movie. I didn't find myself understanding the motive behind kidnapping Neeson's ex-wife in the film played by Famke Janssen. Yeah, okay, Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson) killed your son, but your son also kidnapped numerous American female tourists and forced them into prostitution. It didn't make a lot of sense to me. On top of this the acting performances were putrid at best. The only thing I can appraise is Taken 2's use of Mills', "specific skills," along with with the small action based scenes. This movie was clearly made for profit, but they should have put some quality work into it is all that I'm saying. Expand
  27. Jan 19, 2013
    Well it's hardly a surprise, but "Taken 2", despite its decent entertainment value, does not match the first one's calibre. Lacking a lot of the emotional weight and packed with fun but less thrilling action scenes, it tries to involve the daughter and mother more, but mostly results in it feeling a bit too watered down and underdeveloped. I'm happy I saw it, but for me, it comes far shortWell it's hardly a surprise, but "Taken 2", despite its decent entertainment value, does not match the first one's calibre. Lacking a lot of the emotional weight and packed with fun but less thrilling action scenes, it tries to involve the daughter and mother more, but mostly results in it feeling a bit too watered down and underdeveloped. I'm happy I saw it, but for me, it comes far short of beating its predecessor, and I will probably not bother with any third installment they might be hoping to make. Expand
  28. Jan 16, 2013
    Why is every goddamn critic hatin' on Taken 2? As long as I smash them with a bottle of whiskey, Taken 2 does not suck. It may look a little different on the first Taken, but Liam Neeson, he shouldn't need no stunt double. But he's 60-years-old, he's the Jackie Chan-meets-Bourne style of action movies. No signs on slowing down, that's all. I gotta get Taken 2 on Blu-Ray. Soon, it'll beWhy is every goddamn critic hatin' on Taken 2? As long as I smash them with a bottle of whiskey, Taken 2 does not suck. It may look a little different on the first Taken, but Liam Neeson, he shouldn't need no stunt double. But he's 60-years-old, he's the Jackie Chan-meets-Bourne style of action movies. No signs on slowing down, that's all. I gotta get Taken 2 on Blu-Ray. Soon, it'll be Taken 3 or 4. Expand
  29. Jan 16, 2013
    I absolutely loved the first film and was concerned that they were just throwing together a money-grab with this sequel. The trailers all made it look like it was the exact same movie all over again. That couldn't have been further from the truth. Sure, it had a similar feel in terms of cinematic elements and action style but the plot was completely different and yet it tied into the firstI absolutely loved the first film and was concerned that they were just throwing together a money-grab with this sequel. The trailers all made it look like it was the exact same movie all over again. That couldn't have been further from the truth. Sure, it had a similar feel in terms of cinematic elements and action style but the plot was completely different and yet it tied into the first movie really well. I can't give the film a perfect rating because it felt like it lacked the same unique experience that made the first one so special. That's probably not fair but it's the truth nonetheless. I noticed that a lot of people disliked or were disappointed by this movie for some reason. That reason escapes me because I thoroughly enjoyed it and would think that anyone who loved the first movie would enjoy this movie too. Expand
  30. Jan 14, 2013
    some movies just can't have sequels. other then the amazing Liam Neeson acting and Istanbul, every thing else is just so ridiculously crap. story line and plot so predictable. especially if you have watched the first one Taken, which was a good average movie, then this would be extremely difficult to watch.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Oct 8, 2012
    Somehow Neeson makes the ridiculous plausible. A mature, real man in an era of superhero fantasy, he radiates something rare in movie musclemen: a haunted gravity to match his outsize physique.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Bowles
    Oct 7, 2012
    The first half of Taken 2 is a serviceable action flick, but the second half descends into cliches.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Oct 6, 2012
    Luc Besson and Liam Neeson and the rest of the furriners who made the inept and offensive Taken 2 don't seem to have gotten the memo from Jason Bourne: Americans don't think our spooks are good guys anymore.