7.7

1. Nov 11, 2014
    Despite being an implausible brainless ride throughout, Taken is a slightly above par action thriller made better from a solid performance by Liam Neeson.
  2. Nov 6, 2014
    The movie is definitely a lot better than what the ratings show. It is filled with action and this movie will definitely capture the audience watching it. The best part of it all, they are really people in the world that are trained to do this, so it has some truth behind it. It's definitely worth watching and owning. In some parts it leaves you hanging because things are so close, thenThe movie is definitely a lot better than what the ratings show. It is filled with action and this movie will definitely capture the audience watching it. The best part of it all, they are really people in the world that are trained to do this, so it has some truth behind it. It's definitely worth watching and owning. In some parts it leaves you hanging because things are so close, then bam a twist is thrown it, so it's a good story line as well. Expand
  3. Oct 26, 2014
    Taken: 6 out of 10: Taken comes this close to being great. It had an admittedly rocky start with Liam Neeson is trying to reconnect with his virginal 17 year-old teenage daughter in a way that seems just on this side of creepy. (Dude get your own girlfriend... really) Speaking of which; swarthy bad guys, who clearly have never heard of Nancy Grace, are kidnapping Rich American Girls andTaken: 6 out of 10: Taken comes this close to being great. It had an admittedly rocky start with Liam Neeson is trying to reconnect with his virginal 17 year-old teenage daughter in a way that seems just on this side of creepy. (Dude get your own girlfriend... really) Speaking of which; swarthy bad guys, who clearly have never heard of Nancy Grace, are kidnapping Rich American Girls and making them drugged out street walkers or selling them for millions to Arab Sheiks based on whether they are virgins or not? So ex-CIA estranged father Liam Neeson has 96 hours to find his daughter before she is “gone forever” deflowered and then burkaized apparently. “A Fate Worse than Death” you can almost hear the characters thinking.

It’s as if Charles Bronson was guest starring in an Ilsa the Wicked Warden film located in George C Scott’s Hardcore and the entire enterprise was PG-13. And yet the film still works two thirds through. Liam Neeson is more than fine. He is kicking ass on all cylinders. It’s the bad guys that drop the ball.

First a rich French guy starts quoting the Godfather. “It’s not personal it’s business” For starters the quote isn’t even in context. He might as well have told the gun toting Liam Neeson “may the force be with you” for all the sense it makes. Second of all you can’t quote the Godfather without referencing the fact that you are quoting it in the first place. Any screenwriter who does that should be sleeping with the fishes.

The second slap to the head is an Arab Sheik character that looked like he stepped out of a 1940’s Bugs Bunny cartoon. Honestly I don’t know where to begin on this silly stereotype. Why is he the film? Why does he have a knife to the white virgin’s throat? Who would Oscar Schindler shoot???? The last point seems important since the Arab is basically a Juden in a dress. Same large noses, same aversion to pork, same living in ghettos in Europe (Or/and having all the money), same secret organizations paying off French politicians, same affinity to despoiling white Aryan virgins... The more things change the more the stay the same I guess. (They didn’t have the Arab cook and eat a baby. I guess they are holding that back for the sequel) Overt French xenophobia aside, Taken is a fun ride for most of the trip. (The dinner with his French policeman friend and Frenchman's wife was a particular highlight) And as I did mention Liam Neeson kicks ass.
  4. Oct 23, 2014
    The worst about Taken is that that is based on techniques that are still working and agents like Brian are still out there ready to do **** when it is needed. The best about Taken is this that they are at good side so unless you are Albanian, don't worry. I work with them and it is fudging scary.
  5. Sep 27, 2014
    This was an excellent action thriller! I was hooked all the way to the end of the film. The stepfather really pissed me off and you will understand why after watching it. The action sequences and deaths were epic. The plot was simple but its okay because it wasn't essential to the type of movie this is. Overall, I highly recommend this and also Taken 2.
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    Each year, we are unfortunately gifted with tired and overdone action films with no real purpose or entertainment. Taken rises above those others--partly due from a solid plot-line and our charismatic lead, Liam Neeson.
  7. Jun 25, 2014
    Taken is the kind of Neeson-esque action thriller that is impossible not to enjoy. The plot is simple and the characters are a bit cliché, but those are not the reasons to see Taken. It is a fun movie to watch, even if I didn't believe a damn minute of it.
  8. Jun 10, 2014
    While it lacks ambition and humanity, "Taken" has exciting action, badass moments and an awesome performance due to Liam Neeson, to keep the viewer entertained for 1 hour and half.
  9. Feb 14, 2014
    An edge of the seat thriller that I found enjoyable on every single level. The plot, dialogue, cast as well as the acting were very realistic and dramatic.
  10. Feb 10, 2014
    If you thought the life of a retired spy was boring just wait until you see this amazing fast-paced action film.
    In this film Liam Neeson plays a retired spy called Brian who lets his daughter, Kim, (Maggie Grace) and her friend Amanda (Katie Cassidy) go on atrip to Paris. But shortly after arriving in Paris Kim and Amanda get kidnapped which makes Brian promise that he'll get his daughter back. Will her live up to his promise or will he die trying? The film keeps the viewer wondering whether or not Brian will live up to this promise by emphasising over and over again that he only has a few hours before his daughter disappears forever.
    At the beginning of the film Brian is introduced as a man who loves his daughter, which shows that he will do anything to get her back. And when he arrives in Paris the viewer gets the impression that even though Brian is retired he hasn't forgotten the skills he learnt in hand to hand combat. I got this impression when Brian got ninvoled in a fight scene just moments after he arrived in Paris.
    At the beginning the film ropes you in with some light comedy and a very brutal fight scene. And in order to make sure you don't get bored of the light comedy the film also adds some suspense as soon as Kim arrives in Paris, and after this the action doesn't stop.
    My favourite scene in the movie has got to be when Brian tracks the man who took his daughter to a house in Paris.This is my favourite scene because even though it starts off calm it isn't long before Brian is involved in yet another gun-fight which also involves some brutal fighting which is sure to make the viewer say "Ouch that's gotta hurt!"
    As well as a lot of action this film also has a lot of gore which is shown in the intense fight scenes and in one very horrific torture scene.
    I would recommend this film to anyone who likes fast-paced action films and I would rate it 8/10.
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    I definitely think Taken deserves a 65 or even 70 instead of 50 ! The film is very touching, with Liam Neeson playing a loving father who is willing to do anything to rescue his daughter no matter how wrong and cruel those things are. That is what makes this movie unique, for it is just 30% an action movie in my opinion. The remaining 70% goes to the father's complicated yet determinedI definitely think Taken deserves a 65 or even 70 instead of 50 ! The film is very touching, with Liam Neeson playing a loving father who is willing to do anything to rescue his daughter no matter how wrong and cruel those things are. That is what makes this movie unique, for it is just 30% an action movie in my opinion. The remaining 70% goes to the father's complicated yet determined internal feelings as he is on the way to kill every bad guy responsible for his daughter's abduction. Expand
  12. Nov 30, 2013
    I saw it last year and I still don't see the hype with this film. A father trying to find his daughter somehow turns into an action epic. Reallly???????????? Don't even get me started on 2
  13. Nov 16, 2013
    Taken doesn't bring much to the table.
    The movie is paced well, the story if fine, and the action is lackluster. It mainly is plagued with an extremely simple plot combined with a very predictable outcome. An okay action flick.
  14. Nov 2, 2013
    I love this movie!.It has the one liners I always remember. It`s about a father trying to have a better relationship with his daughter, she gets kidnapped and he has to save her.
  15. Sep 23, 2013
    When Kim and her slutty friend Amanda get kidnapped in Paris, its up to her father to rescue them, while Kim's mother Lenore and her OK (but not better) stepfather watch.
    While Taken might not be the most realistic action film out there, it is still a good action film that benefits from having a great main lead: Liam Neeson! Liam Neeson is a excellent action actor, having starred in: Taken, Taken 2, Unknown, Battleship, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises and The A-Team, and is the perfect person to star in this movie as ex-CIA agent Bryan Mills. Exceptionally made, with solid-action, this is an awesome film. Another thing the film benefits from is having a lot of action, since it lets the audience forget the string of unlikely coincidences. One of my favorite scenes of all time is the "I will find You" scene. My only complaint was that there should've been more interaction between Bryan and Kim.

If you liked this review, read my other ones. If it was helpful, please mark it as helpful.

And P.S, at least Amanda got laid in Paris like she wanted.
  16. Aug 1, 2013
    Anyone looking for a complex story is looking in the wrong place, 'Taken' is a pure action fare. Following the kidnapping of his daughter Bryan Mills, played by unexpected action star Liam Neeson, sets out to find her and punish those involved.

This simple set up leads to all manner of well directed and genuinely exciting car chases and fight scenes (although typically the bad guys seem to have been to the stormtrooper school of firearms training) meaning that the hour and a half will fly by.
  17. Jul 7, 2013
    a thriller that mixes action good sentiment and guns !
    Liam Neeson is excellent in taken in furious father
    Paris is his game field
    a movie to see now
  18. Jun 25, 2013
    The critics for this movie are unfair and unjust, this movie is epic with action/revenge sequences that blows up your mined, it also has some really clever/smart over the top scenes, with great and original story, and enchanting performances, this movie is epic.
  19. Jun 18, 2013
    its a good action movie with a lot of action fun action with a good story that is posible to happen to oul of us around 18 it starts a litle slow but wen its the action is there ist cool but it seems like liam neesen is so strong nobody can do something about it he is untouseble but its a realy cool and fun action movie that you have to see
  20. Jun 10, 2013
    Who knew that Liam Neesen could be this awesome. He single handedly makes this movie as good as it is. The villains aren't that important and the rest of the supporting cast are just there, but still a very entertaining film.
  21. May 28, 2013
    The initial idea was good, a father who does everything to save her daughter, but in practice the film becomes more of a blogbuster summer with cliches mostruosos the Bourne trilogy, and an excess of unnecessary violence.
  22. May 24, 2013
    The phone scene where Liam Neeson listens to his daughter being kidnapped will be one of the most memorable scenes in film for many years. I love this film, flaws and all. Damn good entertainment. I will pay money to see any sequel they come up with.
  23. May 20, 2013
    It's horrible, too unrealistic. Weak guys are always dumb, die stupid. Protagonist always wins the battle easily. I hate it.
  24. May 18, 2013
    Right off the bat we get a glimpse of just how precise and perhaps primarily paranoid Liam Neeson's character in Taken is.
    He plays former CIA operative Brian, a man estranged from his ex- wife Lenore Famke Janssen) is desperately attempting to remain close to his daughter, Kim (Maggie Grace) who he still sees as his baby girl but who is actually now in her late teens and wanting to go on holiday with her friend to Paris.
    Brian helps out a few buddies who he use to work with in the CIA by doing security for a pop sensation, played by Holly Valance, who Brian ends up Brian ends up saving from a crazed stalker, she then says her mentor will take Kim under his wing as she is interested in being a singer.
    When Brian finally decides to let Kin go to Paris, after several dad routines of ringing him when she lands and things like that, but when the two girls meet a handsome fellow willing to share a cab fare and inviting them to a party..all seems too good to be true, and it is.
    Brian must listen down the phone as his daughter is kidnapped..attempting to calm her down he tells the kidnappers that he will find them and he will kill them.
    The film really ramps up a gear at this point and Liam Neeson is in excellent action hero mode, his voice is cold and calculated while his actions are straight out of clever films if similar motives such as Bourne.
    So yeah the whole straight up evil routine of the trafficking is a little OTT, and in all honesty the final half hour of the film isn't nearly as pulsating and enjoyable as the beginning, but an interesting character has been created in the form of Brian, he may be ruthless, but only to the ends of making his daughter happy but above all else, keeping her safe.
    Some very entertaining and gritty scenes take place during the film, one in particular when Brian meets the men responsible for his daughters abduction. He poses as someone else and then recognises the voice that spoke to him on the phone, lets just say it was an excellent build up to a satisfying ruckus.
    The film has got plenty of heart, half a brain and enough brawn to last a lifetime, definitely one of the biggest surprises out of the last few years, Liam Neeson is very much the staple of the film, it's all about him and perhaps feeding his brawling needs, more fun for us then.
  25. Apr 6, 2013
    I didn't expect this film to be good at all, but turns out that sometimes simplicity works best. There's nothing particularly special or unique about Taken compared to other action films, but where other films stretch to be over 2 hours with lots of fillers and unnecessarily complicated plots (which can be annoying to explain if you're watching with someone else who isn't following), TakenI didn't expect this film to be good at all, but turns out that sometimes simplicity works best. There's nothing particularly special or unique about Taken compared to other action films, but where other films stretch to be over 2 hours with lots of fillers and unnecessarily complicated plots (which can be annoying to explain if you're watching with someone else who isn't following), Taken is an action move for everyone. Think of it as a simplified Bourne movie; only in the context of an ex-CIA agent's daughter being kidnapped abroad. Of course, the film feels very standard. Everything is predictable from start to finish, there are a lot of clichés and there are no surprises. What Taken does is set a generic framework for an action film. It's simple, easy to follow, not too violent, not too long and not boring. Expand
  26. Mar 3, 2013
    Very good action thriller. Liam Neeson was really good for his part and so was Maggie Grace and Famke Janssen. The action scenes were awsome and it was fun to watch Liam Neeson beat up bad guys.
  27. Feb 20, 2013
    Taken is one of the best pure action movies of the last ten years. watching Liam Neeson rip Paris apart as he frantically searches for his daughter is both intense and great fun. Taken is an excellent movie from start to finish.
  28. Feb 13, 2013
    This movie starts out very slowly and has such annoying female characters that it almost made me turn it off. However, once it got started it quite managed to get a hold of me and I enjoyed the over-the-top action scenes thoroughly. For some reason all the women are cast as ignorant and spoiled creatures and they remain so until the end where they go right back to doing what they didThis movie starts out very slowly and has such annoying female characters that it almost made me turn it off. However, once it got started it quite managed to get a hold of me and I enjoyed the over-the-top action scenes thoroughly. For some reason all the women are cast as ignorant and spoiled creatures and they remain so until the end where they go right back to doing what they did before, as if though being kidnapped and sold as a slave doesn't make you wonder if perhaps you need to rethink your lifestyle. Normally I don't really care about seeing women empowered but it wouldn't hurt if they made the female characters develop a bit throughout the movie. Then again, the movie was really mostly about the protagonist Bryan Mills (Liam Neelson) so everyone else was mostly filler and it shows. Glad I didn't turn it off, though. Looking forward to watching Taken 2. Expand
  29. Jan 24, 2013
    Could have been a lot better. The first half is really engaging but the movie loses steam going into the second half. The ending could have been more rewarding, too.
  30. BKM
    Jan 13, 2013
    Liam Neesen makes a convincing action hero with a "particular set of skills" in this wisp on an action film. Things move along at a rapid pace and the outcome is never in doubt which makes for a tidy movie going experience. Still, a little bit of complexity and a touch of emotional depth would have helped to keep this meager revenge fantasy from fading almost instantaneously from memory.
  31. Nov 30, 2012
    "Taken" is a brutal, relentless, adrenaline-charged punch to the face. It manages, in 90 minutes, to kick more ass than your average 2-hour action thriller, and still it leaves plenty of exposition to develop true, believable characters and establish genuine relationships. Liam Neeson delivers a powerhouse performance as a retired government spy who goes after a prostitution ring"Taken" is a brutal, relentless, adrenaline-charged punch to the face. It manages, in 90 minutes, to kick more ass than your average 2-hour action thriller, and still it leaves plenty of exposition to develop true, believable characters and establish genuine relationships. Liam Neeson delivers a powerhouse performance as a retired government spy who goes after a prostitution ring responsible for abducting his daughter, and although he may not look like it at first, he could give James Bond a run for his money. The action in this movie is very fast-paced, and once things get going the movie goes a mile a minute - you cannot help but get swept up in it all. This is one satisfying vendetta of violence at its most polished and pristine. Expand
  32. Nov 28, 2012
    Slick action, a straightforward story, and one of the most fearsome performances from Liam Neeson I have ever seen make "Taken" an awesome filmic experience.
  33. Oct 15, 2012
    It's got all the attributes of a guilty pleasure - excitement, some undeniably enjoyable scenes and the absence of what it needs to be more memorable and more substantial.
  34. Oct 4, 2012
    Taken represents a wierd oblique encouragement for western authorities to 'take the gloves off' when dealing with middle eastern threats, represented here by Albanian slave traders with a crescent moon tattoos. The other enemies, of course are the corrupt, and decadent French, who for some sin or other are characterised as ammoral devils who would turn a blind eye on western girls beingTaken represents a wierd oblique encouragement for western authorities to 'take the gloves off' when dealing with middle eastern threats, represented here by Albanian slave traders with a crescent moon tattoos. The other enemies, of course are the corrupt, and decadent French, who for some sin or other are characterised as ammoral devils who would turn a blind eye on western girls being sold into sexual servitude for just a few Euros. Somewhat wierd for a movie that cites a Frenchman in its production. Sadly fact is usually more amazing than fantasy and this movie is no exception. Something based on the real plight of Eastern European women being sold into forced prostitution could have been far more compelling. This movie soon degenerates into a sadistic tirade of the hero beating up and killing dozens of run-of-the mill bad guys. The movie has no pauses, no moments of realisation, nothing interesting or scary. No good dialogue, nothing but the celebration of the killing prowess of a professional killer. Liam Neesen dials in a very unenthusiastic performance looking very much like an actor who lost his wife in a skiing accident, with no interest in the slightest in making a movie glorifying murder, going through the motions because he will get a paycheck so that he can go back and spend quality time trying to live as happily as he can in the shadow of his loss. As far as I can see the whole thing is some kind of propaganda effort trying to reinforce negative stereotypes. The action is the same crap you see in almost every American movie these days. Fight scenes where the hero is good at ramming random household objects up the noses and into the brains of certified 100% guaranteed 'bad guys' who deserved to die. The audience is thus invited to relish and glorify a whole bunch of romantically enhanced butchery, and feel great when the good duy inevitably walks into the sunset, without even bruised knuckles. Since practically everything made in America is made to exactly the same recipe, taken is your standard contemporary American garbage with a Frenchman embarrassing himself in the credits. I'm sure Albanian slave traders are very nasty indeed. A movie that dealt into the hows and whys of that would have been much better than this crap. Don't movie makers understand that incessant violence dilutes the dramatic power of violence. The fear of death is worse than death. There are a thousand creative cliches that advice film makers on what constitutes narrative power. All yellow and red reviews indicate signs of intelligence. Green constitute the mob. Fools all. Expand
  35. Oct 4, 2012
    Taken is Liam Neeson at his best. Bryan Mills is a retired CIA field operative and father to his teenage daughter Kim. As a birthday present to Kim one of her friends Amanda invites her to Paris to follow the band U2 on their tour. After lying to her father and going to Paris, Kim and Amanda are abducted. Bryan travels to Paris and uses his ex-CIA skills to track her and her kidnappersTaken is Liam Neeson at his best. Bryan Mills is a retired CIA field operative and father to his teenage daughter Kim. As a birthday present to Kim one of her friends Amanda invites her to Paris to follow the band U2 on their tour. After lying to her father and going to Paris, Kim and Amanda are abducted. Bryan travels to Paris and uses his ex-CIA skills to track her and her kidnappers down.
    A true thrill ride that never ceases to amaze with its constant edge of your seat action and a story that always keeps you guessing.
  36. JCM
    Oct 2, 2012
    The last time I remember seeing Liam Neeson was in Schindler's List a couple years back and I was both amazed and captivated by his performance. So I decided to checkout one of his more recent efforts and I got to say Taken is underrated in the action-thriller genre. Taken follows the story of Bryan Mills (Liam Neesoon), a divorced, retired government agent out to search for his kidnapThe last time I remember seeing Liam Neeson was in Schindler's List a couple years back and I was both amazed and captivated by his performance. So I decided to checkout one of his more recent efforts and I got to say Taken is underrated in the action-thriller genre. Taken follows the story of Bryan Mills (Liam Neesoon), a divorced, retired government agent out to search for his kidnap daughter in Paris. While Taken does venture into familiar territory, it's well written with a believable protagonist and an interesting plot to keep anyone engage. Unlike most action movies we have Liam Neeson who's an actor first and an action star second. You'll definitely care about him thanks to his great performance and is surprisingly very believable when he kills henchmen after henchmen. He's easily the best part of the movie aside from the well told and thrilling plot. What's surprise me most of all is that it wasn't better received by critics. Sure Taken doesn't break any new ground, but it's much better than your average action flick as even the dramatic scenes are as entertaining as the action set-pieces. Not only is it well shot with a tense atmosphere keeping you at the edge of your seat, it also got good acting which is hard to come by in this genre. Despite feeling familiar to other action-thrillers, Taken is ultimately fun entertainment. With a well told story that has an interesting leading character and enough violence to satisfy, Taken is a blast from beginning to end. Expand
  37. Sep 26, 2012
    This movie was long and drawn out, Taken's plot used several cliches and had several awkward moments. Taken was painful to watch.The movie is boring and doesn't get engaging until the end.
  38. Sep 9, 2012
    This is a good movie and I'm shocked that the Critics would rate it so low. Intense from the word go, Liam Neesen is awesome in this role.
  39. Aug 31, 2012
    I never saw this in theaters, or saw it when it first came out on DVD. My friend gave me a boot-leg of this, so I didn't have to spend I dime on it. I never bothered with it till I saw the trailer of a sequel to this movie in theaters, so I was thinking that I should just watch this movie and get it over with. I just watched it, and I am completely shocked about how well done this was.I never saw this in theaters, or saw it when it first came out on DVD. My friend gave me a boot-leg of this, so I didn't have to spend I dime on it. I never bothered with it till I saw the trailer of a sequel to this movie in theaters, so I was thinking that I should just watch this movie and get it over with. I just watched it, and I am completely shocked about how well done this was. Liam Neeson is one of my favorite badass actors ever since he was Ra's Al Ghul in "Batman Begins". All I need to say is that he is one of the smartest action heroes I've ever seen in any action movie. Here's what I mean, in many action movies, the hero always takes his time to kill the boss or a henchmen. They just waits till the last minute to kill them or just leave them alive. But in this movie, Liam Neeson doesn't take his time or leave the enemies alive, he kills them all immediately! Even the final boss was simple to finish off. When the boss is holding a knife on somebody you've been trying to rescue, just shoot him in the head. He's not gonna kill her after he's gonna be dead by a simple shot, and that's exactly what Liam Neeson did. Smartest action hero EVER. Not only was the hero great, but the action and chase scenes were unbelievable. It keeps getting better and more exciting, I've been jumping and cheering Liam to survive and quickly save his daughter. It was awesome, and unexpecting to see something like this in an action movie. This movie deserves more positive reviews from critics, because this isn't one of those simple cliched action films. This is something different and well done, and needs to be seen by every action fan. Expand
  40. Aug 29, 2012
    'Taken' is a very basic action/thriller, centering on a man doing whatever it takes to get his kidnapped daughter back. The man is played by Liam Neeson, however, which means trouble for the guys that took his daughter. There is a lot of hand-to-hand combat in the film, and it's exhilarating to watch as Neeson takes out multiple people in a matter of seconds with quick shots and the feel'Taken' is a very basic action/thriller, centering on a man doing whatever it takes to get his kidnapped daughter back. The man is played by Liam Neeson, however, which means trouble for the guys that took his daughter. There is a lot of hand-to-hand combat in the film, and it's exhilarating to watch as Neeson takes out multiple people in a matter of seconds with quick shots and the feel of impact as people are punched and kicked. There really isn't much reason to see the film for other than Neeson's strong performance and the butt kicking action scenes. With that being said, the film is well made and entertaining throughout it's brisk 93 minute running time. Expand
  41. Aug 25, 2012
    I'm not really sure what the critics are on about here because this was a fantastic film and clearly the majority of people on this site agree with me. Fast-paced, dark and mysterious, Liam Neeson does a wonderful job in winning our hearts as he travels the world (Europe) to save his daughter.
  42. Jun 27, 2012
    This movie is great. Liam Neeson did an awesome job, but there were a few cheesy parts / parts with poor dialogue that could have been done better. It was not a fault of the actors and I feel like they all played it out very well. Also this is partially due to it being a new series. They had to start somewhere, even if it meant a very simplistic concept / plot. If you're looking for someThis movie is great. Liam Neeson did an awesome job, but there were a few cheesy parts / parts with poor dialogue that could have been done better. It was not a fault of the actors and I feel like they all played it out very well. Also this is partially due to it being a new series. They had to start somewhere, even if it meant a very simplistic concept / plot. If you're looking for some interesting action scenes you will probably enjoy the movie overall. Sort of an underdog to the 007 movies, but I am excited for Taken 2 and I feel like if they play their cards right they can make Taken a bit more distinguished. Expand
  43. May 19, 2012
    Liam Neeson does an exceptional job in this film. Love the way he bashes bad guys faces in while only breaking slightly more of a sweat then Bond. Good movie. Well worth your time
  44. May 12, 2012
    Oh wow...it is one of the best thriller movie I think it's the unique movie all over the world showing relationship of a father to his daughter.. Whole movie was too amazing and Liam Neeson just killed it... He is very strong in all scenes.. The best scene is when he says to marko that..i will find you and i will kill you .. Fantastic execution,very good action and many intense scenes withOh wow...it is one of the best thriller movie I think it's the unique movie all over the world showing relationship of a father to his daughter.. Whole movie was too amazing and Liam Neeson just killed it... He is very strong in all scenes.. The best scene is when he says to marko that..i will find you and i will kill you .. Fantastic execution,very good action and many intense scenes with thrilling plot...which totally works for almost all type of audience..must watch movie..especially for hero of the movie i.e Liam Neeson.. :D Just loved it :) Expand
  45. Apr 8, 2012
    sincesrly its one of the grates movies of all time i cant believe his metascore its 50 taken deserves at least 91 its my favorite movie and its very variated it has guns.fights.interrogation.great actor(Liam neeson)b gets captured and scapes and full accion i hope this critic makes the difference beacause ill never see a movie better then that one and dont forget to watch taken 2sincesrly its one of the grates movies of all time i cant believe his metascore its 50 taken deserves at least 91 its my favorite movie and its very variated it has guns.fights.interrogation.great actor(Liam neeson)b gets captured and scapes and full accion i hope this critic makes the difference beacause ill never see a movie better then that one and dont forget to watch taken 2 congratulations liam neeson Expand
  46. Mar 4, 2012
    First of all, the drawbacks. I know I hate to do this, but there was a few things wrong with the film. For one thing, it was slightly predictable because I didn't think this film would end with something bad happening. Everything's good until the ending, it just sort of fizzles out. Next, it would be pretty exaggerated that someone would be able to rescue someone from a human traffickingFirst of all, the drawbacks. I know I hate to do this, but there was a few things wrong with the film. For one thing, it was slightly predictable because I didn't think this film would end with something bad happening. Everything's good until the ending, it just sort of fizzles out. Next, it would be pretty exaggerated that someone would be able to rescue someone from a human trafficking group in only a few days. The pacing was a bit thin on the ground, and I also think the girls were portrayed as screechy, weepy, able to believe anything anyone says and blab everything to someone they've just met. Now that's over and done with, there's a few good points I'd like to say. It tackled a very important issue, and, even if it were over exaggerated, that does happen in the world, so it was quite brave to tackle this kind of issue. I think the violence was the least of my problems, and it was thrilling to see Liam Neeson do a bit of ****-kicking because he definitely looked suited for the role. I loved the relationship of his daughter and him, which made me hate the step-father and mother more (what an **** hole and a **** Generally it was a entertaining film, it just needs a bit more work to fix the predictable and confusingly paced storyline, although I think the critics have been a little harsh on what I call an OK film. Expand
  47. Feb 6, 2012
    Some words to describe this movie: tenacious, no mercy, intense, action-packed, etc. This movie is different from the mainstream movie of today, which I liked. In most action movies the main character usually doesn't shoot everyone with no mercy, in most movie he tries to find the "nicest" way to get to the end, but not in this movie. Liam does everything in his power to save hisSome words to describe this movie: tenacious, no mercy, intense, action-packed, etc. This movie is different from the mainstream movie of today, which I liked. In most action movies the main character usually doesn't shoot everyone with no mercy, in most movie he tries to find the "nicest" way to get to the end, but not in this movie. Liam does everything in his power to save his daughter, he just walks in and starts shooting everybody, no stand offs where the characters talk to each other while they have guns pointing at each other heads in this movie. Expand
  48. Jan 24, 2012
    Neeson seems to have something going for him, He manages to take a generic film and make it into a blockbuster action flick that you shouldnt miss. The plot was generic and too similar to other action films out there but Neeson brings to life the action sequences and his performance takes this film to a whole other level.
  49. Jan 20, 2012
    I really didnt know why I liked the movie as much as I did until I relized that it was Liam Neeson's performance that took this film to the next level. The action is great, the plot is interesting but somewhat generic compared to other action films, and the cast is solid. Totally worth watching.
  50. Nov 26, 2011
    Liam Neeson was great and I dont think anyone else could do this role as good as him. Though the story was pretty generic - The action was good and it kept you on edge from start to finish. Well worth the watch.
  51. Nov 21, 2011
    On the face of it, Taken shouldn't be any better than 90% of all the other action/thriller releases. It's got the usual sort of plot - retiree with convenient ass-kicking past coming out of retirement and...kicks ass. The difference between Taken and, say, one of Arnie or Sly's clunkers is that the lead character, effectively portrayed by Liam Neeson, is actually empathetic. I don't knowOn the face of it, Taken shouldn't be any better than 90% of all the other action/thriller releases. It's got the usual sort of plot - retiree with convenient ass-kicking past coming out of retirement and...kicks ass. The difference between Taken and, say, one of Arnie or Sly's clunkers is that the lead character, effectively portrayed by Liam Neeson, is actually empathetic. I don't know why no one thought of Neeson as an action hero before this - he's an imposing figure, and he can still clearly handle the stunts despite being in his late 50s. He's not just out to teach the bad guys a lesson just because they're bad (and bad they are), but he'll stop at nothing to get his kidnapped daughter home. There is no stronger force than the love of a parent for their child, and it is the telling of this aspect of the story, of a previously absent father trying to prove himself to his estranged daughter, that truly stands out in the film. Of course, being an action thriller with input from Luc Besson (writer and producer) and direction from Pierre Morel (who was the cinematographer on The Transporter and Unleashed), Taken was bound to have style in abundance, and it does. The film makes Paris look beautiful, and the action is expertly handled. Despite its technical competence, the action does become a little generic after a while, and though it never gets dull, the film isn't quite as exciting in its latter stages, and the plot is wrapped up a little too hastily. It's also a shame that a sequel has already been commissioned, so it looks like Neeson is going to be stuck doing the same sort of thing for some time to come, and it will get old fast. That said, Taken is a nice diversion, and provides us with a surprisingly well-rounded and relatable action man in Bryan Mills. Expand
  52. Oct 9, 2011
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if youI don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you. Expand
  53. Sep 25, 2011
    The movie is surprisingly good if you look at decent standards. However if you think harder, you would suspect that the movie's a kinda bit... shallow?
  54. Sep 6, 2011
    "I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you". One of Brian's most famous quotes in this non stop action packed thriller. If ever I have children, I hope I have the knowledge and skills that this guy has, trust me you do not want to mess with this man. Taken is an action/thriller film, starring Liam Neeson, Famke Janssen and Maggie Grace. Liam's character, Brian Mills is a"I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you". One of Brian's most famous quotes in this non stop action packed thriller. If ever I have children, I hope I have the knowledge and skills that this guy has, trust me you do not want to mess with this man. Taken is an action/thriller film, starring Liam Neeson, Famke Janssen and Maggie Grace. Liam's character, Brian Mills is a former CIA operative and prevents bad things from happening. The opening starts off with Brian, who is very close to his daughter Kim (Maggie Grace). He arrives at her house to drop off her birthday present, but Lenore, (Famke Janssen) Brian's ex-wife, is very strict, and doesn't seem to trust or care about him, especially when she tries to send him away without even giving the present to Kim herself. After meeting at the Cafe Kim informs her Dad about a trip to Paris, and wants to go with her friends. Though uncomfortable with all this, he lets her go. Once they arrive in Paris, Kim and her friend Amanda meet this handsome French guy called Peter, who offers to share a taxi with them, and they agree. All three of them arrive at the hotel and Peter invites them to a party, Kim warns Amanda off because they don't even know him, but she doesn't listen and accepts his invite. As they settle into their apartment, Kim receives a missed call from her Dad. She calls, and tells him everything that's going on. Then Kim and her friend Amanda are taken by these men. Fortunately for Brian he has skills that he has required over a very long career and makes him a nightmare for people like them. And from this point on, we see what Brain is really capable of. If this man could do all the stuff he does in the movie in real life, there would be no need for policemen, FBI or the military. The film contains some great action scenes, great performances, especially from Liam who is like the Irish James Bond and more importantly a great story. I enjoy thrillers like this, it's dark, it's intense and its characters are exactly as they would be if the audience were the characters. Expand
  55. Sep 2, 2011
    This is a really good film, another brilliant film by Liam Neeson. this will definitely be a big hit with action lovers, it never stops giving, with realistic action, this is edge of your seat action at its best.
  56. Jul 9, 2011
    One of my favourite Liam Neeson movies. Though the story is not very elaborate the movie is still a thrilling one, mostly due to the very intense, short action-scenes.
  57. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie was actually better then I thought it would be. For the last year all I have heard is how great this movie was, but I could not see this actually being any good. I finally got a hold of a copy and sat down and watched it. First off the acting was all around great for an action flick. Typically action flicks have good leads and weak everything else. I didn't really see a horribleThis movie was actually better then I thought it would be. For the last year all I have heard is how great this movie was, but I could not see this actually being any good. I finally got a hold of a copy and sat down and watched it. First off the acting was all around great for an action flick. Typically action flicks have good leads and weak everything else. I didn't really see a horrible actor. Next the plot was good and kept me interested. The thing that bothered me was the bad guys fell victim to the typical action movie pit fall. They shot thousands of bullets and only his him once (at the end of the movie no less). Yet our hero typically hits whoever is being aimed at. I get he was a hard core special forces guy but for the love of god he doesn't have an invisible force field. I kinda gave the fact a pass because I really can't think of an action movie that doesn't have that issue. Over all the movie was fun and exciting, its a definite watch. Expand
  58. May 11, 2011
    Liam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, an ex-CIA agent who's daughter is kidnapped. The reason why I like this film so much is the fact that Bryan will stop at nothing to get his daughter back, not caring what risks he takes, he will do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to get back his daughter. He shoots his old friens wife in the arm, he chases a boat by driving at high speed the wrong way down aLiam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, an ex-CIA agent who's daughter is kidnapped. The reason why I like this film so much is the fact that Bryan will stop at nothing to get his daughter back, not caring what risks he takes, he will do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to get back his daughter. He shoots his old friens wife in the arm, he chases a boat by driving at high speed the wrong way down a road and leaves a man to die from electrocution. At one point, he gets stabbed, shot and jumps through a glass pane, but none of that even slows him down, because his daughter's the most important thing to him, and he will endure anything to save her life. Liam Neeson is utterly believable in this role. Proof is in the scene where he listens to his daughter being kidnapped and says a little speech to the kidnapper, that if she is let go, he'll forget the whole thing, but if not, he will hunt the kidnapper down and kill him. Every single word Neeson says here, you believe him. You believe that he will stay true to his word and kill the man responsible for this, and he eventually does. This film boasts some brilliant action sequences, especially when Neeson finds the man he spoke to on the phone. He kills every man in that room and that dare to wander in his path, leaving the kidnapper to his self. I think I especially like this film because it reminds me of a favourite show of mine, the recently cancelled 24. Think about it, Neeson channels Jack Bauer, doing anything to get his daughter back, not giving a damn about the consequences, not thinking twice, doing whatever it takes to get back his kidnapped daughter within a time frame. Also, the action sequences, where Neeson is faced against a large number of men, but ends up winning nonetheless. This movie does exactly what it says on the tin, being a high octane action film with Neeson wanting to get his daughter back, and it doesnt try to pretend to be anything more. Please, enjoy Expand
  59. Mar 30, 2011
    This is an action/thriller, and as such should be rated accordingly. This film is not meant to be fine cinema. It's a bad-ass popcorn romp that you can feel the on screen tension throughout. I would describe it as "Bourne Retirement". If the Bourne films were to make sequels for a dozen more movies this would be the final film. The relevant "come out of retirement to kick some ass for aThis is an action/thriller, and as such should be rated accordingly. This film is not meant to be fine cinema. It's a bad-ass popcorn romp that you can feel the on screen tension throughout. I would describe it as "Bourne Retirement". If the Bourne films were to make sequels for a dozen more movies this would be the final film. The relevant "come out of retirement to kick some ass for a good reason" flick, is what Taken is all about. This film is gripping and intense and Liam Nielson is superb in it. Expand
  60. Mar 14, 2011
    a simple plot guys daughter gets get kid napped and he goes to save her . the plot may be simple but the action , acting the suspense is very well done and makes for a exciting movie .
  61. Mar 8, 2011
    Taken is one of the greatest action movies I have ever seen, the plot will keep you hooked and on the edge of your seat, I wasn't disappointed with this movie and you wont be either.
  62. Feb 21, 2011
    Even better than ''Unknown''! A lot of action too, but a lot more, a lot of good, well-performed shots and fights... credible, a based on little details, in fact this movie is about action and details, all the few details, even if they are almost invisible are what devolope in a believable action scene! There's also scenes that take your breath away, like ''I cannot believe'' or ''wow, nowEven better than ''Unknown''! A lot of action too, but a lot more, a lot of good, well-performed shots and fights... credible, a based on little details, in fact this movie is about action and details, all the few details, even if they are almost invisible are what devolope in a believable action scene! There's also scenes that take your breath away, like ''I cannot believe'' or ''wow, now I understand what he (Liam's character) really feels''... incredible, well-done and credible action scenes, well-chosen actors, and deep feelings about the parents relations, families, incredibly disturbing images, but real, sadly, madly REAL! Good Job!! Expand
  63. Feb 16, 2011
    Surprisingly well done, and very intense. Liam Neesen does and excellent job playing the role of the action hero. The James Bond franchise should look at this movie and take some pointers.
  64. Jan 10, 2011
    It's a cross between Frantic and the Bourne movies, but by the Transporter Team.
    I suppose there's some appeal in seeing kidnapping scumbags get their come-uppence, but there's no real tension or intrigue. He goes to France, he follows the trail with improbable ease, he kills EVERYONE, often with just a quick flick of the wrist. He gets knocked on the head and captured once...3 minutes later he kills them all too.
    Entertaining enough guff, but it's nothing more than a very daft action movie with some nasty scenes and a reasonably respectable lead actor.
  65. Sep 22, 2010
    Liam Neeson displayed a very deep, very dangerous man in this intense thriller directed by Pierre Morel (From Paris With Love, District B13). The story takes you in from the first scene. Hence the title: Taken. Liam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, a former spy with very deadly, very stealth, and very deadly skills that make him a straight up nightmare to people involved in dirt, scum, kidnappingLiam Neeson displayed a very deep, very dangerous man in this intense thriller directed by Pierre Morel (From Paris With Love, District B13). The story takes you in from the first scene. Hence the title: Taken. Liam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, a former spy with very deadly, very stealth, and very deadly skills that make him a straight up nightmare to people involved in dirt, scum, kidnapping rings, drugs etc. When his daughter and her best friend take a trip to Paris to follow rock group U2 on their Europe tour, things go terribly wrong and the two young girls are kidnapped and taken into a seedy underworld of prostitution and drugs. Mills knew that it was a bad idea the whole time, but his ex-wife played by Famke Janssen encourages the trip to let her daughter be free and see the world. Neeson engages in a personal mission to get his daughter back, a process that he is willing to stop at nothing for.
    -Taken was directed really well and has some pretty good acting. The super-glue of the film was in fact the tense story. Overall 'Taken' was a very original and interesting story, and it ultimately proves that you do not want to **** around with Liam Neeson, especially if it involves his daughter! Very good movie.
  66. Sep 6, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are looking for a Bourne rip-off with logic, you are in the wrong area. If you're look for a fun action-thriller, you are in the right place.If you even try to incorporate logic, you're gonna hate it. Because Neeson takes on 10 bad guys firing at him several times in the movie and he only gets hit once in hit abdomen. And it's predictable, but that doesn't take away from this fun exciting movie. This is Neeson's show. he is in every scene and he pulls it off perfectly. Maggie Grace plays her role great. Overall, if you like fun and suspenseful movies, you will like Taken Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bernard Besserglik
    Might do good business at home and abroad among audiences unconcerned with the finer points of characterization or psychological insight.
    You do wonder how this commanding actor (Neeson)--who carries so much more conviction than the plot--felt about delivering the line "I'll tear down the Eiffel Tower if I have to."
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Neeson growls his way through the functional dialogue as an unstoppable killing machine in impressive, cold-eyed style.