Taking Woodstock

6.7

1. Sep 1, 2014
    Blasphemy! Utterly preposterous to create a film revolving around Woodstock 1969 and have absolutely no moments of appreciation for the music. Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock is disrespectful to the greatest era of music by creating this odd-ball look at music's greatest weekend and failing to recognize key necessities.
  2. AdamL
    Oct 10, 2009
    This was filmed like an amateur hour mini-series or something. I was constantly aware and annoyed by the meaningless split-screen shots. Basically its like a made-for-TV-movie with a lot of hokey "find yourself" cliches in it. And while we're on the subject of cliches, I counted over 12 different stereotype characters in this movie, ie: The Italian Gangster, Jewish Mother etc (you This was filmed like an amateur hour mini-series or something. I was constantly aware and annoyed by the meaningless split-screen shots. Basically its like a made-for-TV-movie with a lot of hokey "find yourself" cliches in it. And while we're on the subject of cliches, I counted over 12 different stereotype characters in this movie, ie: The Italian Gangster, Jewish Mother etc (you can count them yourself and play a sort of "Where's Waldo of Finding All the Cliche's in this film. ) I had a good laugh , and enjoyed the Liev Schrieber cross dresser characater though. (Cliche #6) . Don't see this movie, unless maybe you are taking your Mom from the Baby Boomer generation. She might like all the predictable cliches. Expand
  3. commentscomments
    Aug 31, 2009
    This was a lazy, charmless, unfocused, first draft of a movie, with an unusual axe to grind against old jews, upstate locals, avant garde theater troupers and nearly everyone else who fell into the sites of the filmmakers. for the life of me i cannot understand why people as sharp as ang lee and james schamus would roll film on something so unfinished and immature.

1. It's a low-wattage film about a high-wattage event. Which is somewhat disappointing, though you do get a thoughtful, playful, often amusing film about what happened backstage at one of the '60s' great happenings.
    You can’t deny the smiling mood that wafts through the film like incense, and to that extent it honors the original three days; but not once does a character’s show of feeling stir you, send you, or stop you in your tracks, and the loss is unsustainable.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The picture serves up intermittent pleasures but is too raggedy and laid-back for its own good, its images evaporating nearly as soon as they hit the screen.