8.2

1. Nov 2, 2010
    This one is flawless. Personally I didn't watch much out of Hollywood movies but this certainly can convince that the best stuff is not only Hollywood, The underlying messages of loneliness, of friendship tends to take you by surprise sometime. Certainly can see why it's so critically acclaimed. And my score reminds me that I'm not that much of a critic.
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    It is a film of magic - whether it is diabolism or wonder, I can't say, but it is there, and it will captivate you. Almodovar has created an unmined dramatic space for us to dwell in, and knocks any preconceived notions of morality and certainty out of his twisted world, and carries us along into it.
  3. AmurabiM.
    Jun 9, 2006
    This is a story about the friendship between two men, about solitude, about the long process of healing wounds provoked by passion, about communication and the lack of it in relationships. About cinema as an ideal vehicle in the realationships between people. Watching as the cinema as storytelleing can stop the time and sets in the life of who´s telling the story and who listens it. This is a story about the friendship between two men, about solitude, about the long process of healing wounds provoked by passion, about communication and the lack of it in relationships. About cinema as an ideal vehicle in the realationships between people. Watching as the cinema as storytelleing can stop the time and sets in the life of who´s telling the story and who listens it. "Talk to Her" is a movie about the joy of tell a story and about the words as a weapon of escape of loneliness, death and madness, that madness so close to tenderness and common sense that can´t be so different from reality. In "Talk to Her" there are moments of cinematic perfection, of sublime blend of music and image (as the great cateano veloso singing and the whole almodovarian crew listening --cecilia roth, marisa paredes, paz vega et al--) and moments of unbearable beauty. This is the second great masterpiece of a genius and the best example of narrative as cinema and viceversa. Collapse
  4. rockbox
    Jul 10, 2005
    How do we know that benigno raped alicia? maybe marco did it, you never see who does it, yet you see how obsessed by alicia marco really is. think again people.
  5. PatC.
    Jun 13, 2005
    The best movies balance obsession and enlightenment. They can dare to be tedious to the point of boredom throughout if the wrapup is a blinding flash of the obvious. The Rules of the Game, Tokyo Story and Citizen Kane come to mind. This movie, while undeniably ground-breaking, compelling and worth watching, becomes too absorbed in the subconscious to conclude with clarity. Lack of The best movies balance obsession and enlightenment. They can dare to be tedious to the point of boredom throughout if the wrapup is a blinding flash of the obvious. The Rules of the Game, Tokyo Story and Citizen Kane come to mind. This movie, while undeniably ground-breaking, compelling and worth watching, becomes too absorbed in the subconscious to conclude with clarity. Lack of development of the female love interest characters sustains their relationship with the male leads as a vegetative state. Expand
  6. MichaelH
    Jun 11, 2005
    Best Almodovar I've seen.. beautiful cinematography, great rhythm. Acting is excellent. What more can I say?
  7. rachelc.
    May 11, 2005
    The subtle beauty of this film brings me to tears just to think on it.
  8. Giulia
    Feb 27, 2005
    This movie is so easy too like. you feel better after watching it.
  9. VicL.
    Oct 27, 2003
    There are a total of four performances within the film itself, for a total of five performance art pieces each worthy of reflection. This type of play within a play often reminds me of Shakespeare's Hamlet, where the travelling actors put on a story whose plot mirros that of Eodipus Rex, which is in fact what Hamlet was at its core. The first twenty minutes of this film were slow but There are a total of four performances within the film itself, for a total of five performance art pieces each worthy of reflection. This type of play within a play often reminds me of Shakespeare's Hamlet, where the travelling actors put on a story whose plot mirros that of Eodipus Rex, which is in fact what Hamlet was at its core. The first twenty minutes of this film were slow but soon the pace increases and before the hour is out you are bonded in an emotional connection to the characters. No plot summary could do the film justice as the plot is too contrived outside the context of the movie and Almodovar's directorial narration. Expand
  10. KristinK.
    Aug 3, 2003
    It was one of the most emotional touching movies I have ever seen. The film collides together with two storylines in a perfect setting it brought me to tears. Definitely worth watching again.
  11. LuisfeRojasR.
    Jun 26, 2003
    Excellent film! I found this movie to be one of the best by Pedro Almodovar, -but not quite his best- which is definitely "All About My Mother". "Talk to Her" is a very compelling movie with a realistic, moving plot that interests many of the viewers, especially Almodovar's followers, like myself. I would recommend it just about anyone who likes watching a good, non-Hollywood film.
  12. SimonH.
    Jun 9, 2003
    The gimmick of 'Talk to Her' is its higly sentimental content. People who loved and who disliked the movie would agree on this. The whole movie is surrounded by death, love, sadnness and other sorts of situations that make the movie seem more significant than it really is. What point does the movie achieve? I doubt that it suggests to cure patients by raping them. Or that the The gimmick of 'Talk to Her' is its higly sentimental content. People who loved and who disliked the movie would agree on this. The whole movie is surrounded by death, love, sadnness and other sorts of situations that make the movie seem more significant than it really is. What point does the movie achieve? I doubt that it suggests to cure patients by raping them. Or that the justice system is too harsh, or even that people do not undersatnd love. In the end it just turns out to be cheap fantasy love that is in some sense parallel to the other. As I said, the movie has no profound significance although appearing to have more. Nevertheless not all is bad. Fragemnts of some dialogues attempt to save the movie. Photography is good and acting is also good. See it, and judge for yourself. Expand
  13. BrodieJ.
    Jun 7, 2003
    Beautiful. Enchanting. Haunting.
  14. JamesB.
    Jun 2, 2003
    Most beautiful, touching and masterly crafted film I have seen in a long time. One I would like to own, which is unusual for me.
  15. AlanO.
    Jun 1, 2003
    A remarkable film by a remarkable director.
  16. PeterR.
    May 4, 2003
    Complex and theatrical. A film about lonliness and inability to verbalize affection and need in all but the"her". The Director (and through hin his characters) has some difficulties in relating to women. His unfortuate sexual preference prevents him from not being threatened by women and he is unable to see them just as people with ordinary stengths and weaknesses. Apart from theComplex and theatrical. A film about lonliness and inability to verbalize affection and need in all but the"her". The Director (and through hin his characters) has some difficulties in relating to women. His unfortuate sexual preference prevents him from not being threatened by women and he is unable to see them just as people with ordinary stengths and weaknesses. Apart from the unconvincing "snake kiling episode' the film is seamless in its content and wonderfully complex protrayal of all the characters. It is by far his best film to date, and could be described as one of the masterpieces of modern cinema. Expand
  17. StephenS.
    Apr 19, 2003
    [**Potential Spoilers**] With this mature Almodovar work, gone is the glitz of ten years ago, but not the subversion. If you want a movie that neatly mirrors your own set of prejudices, forget about Talk to Her. The attraction of Almodovar is that he tempers outré sensibilities with the exhausting disciplines of the true cineaste. Suspect situations that would turn to mush in most[**Potential Spoilers**] With this mature Almodovar work, gone is the glitz of ten years ago, but not the subversion. If you want a movie that neatly mirrors your own set of prejudices, forget about Talk to Her. The attraction of Almodovar is that he tempers outré sensibilities with the exhausting disciplines of the true cineaste. Suspect situations that would turn to mush in most hands are transformed by the precise emotions elicited from loyal ensembles of actors. The contrivance here is the unlikely friendship struck up by two fellows watching over their comatose loved ones at a hospital. Of course, they?ve already met by chance, at an avant-garde Pina Bausch performance, the one (Benigno) having been struck by the other?s (Marco) tears of feeling. If Almodovar has been esteemed for his depictions of women, here the men?s deepening friendship takes centre stage, filmed against masculine red-earth hues. Marco is infuriated when Benigno wants to wed the apparently brain-dead woman he nurses every day, even more so by his moderate suggestion that they would get along as well as most married couples. Nonetheless, he stands by his (disintegrating) man to the bittersweet end. The most outrageous gag is the reworking of The Incredible Shrinking Man as the ultimate back-to-the-womb fantasy. The subtle joke occurs when the ashen doctor first emerges from the suite of Marco?s girlfriend, gored senseless while bullfighting. In every other movie, he?d break the bad news in the time-honoured fashion. Almodovar?s twist is that the hapless medic can?t get a word in edgeways, as his intended audience of loved ones dissolves into a Spanish maze of side-conversations. Expand
  18. StephenS.
    Apr 19, 2003
  19. KaterinaD.
    Apr 3, 2003
    Film full with emotions. Great story and directory.
  20. ValeriaG.
    Mar 29, 2003
    I almost regret seeing this film because its effected me to deeply. Burrowing into my head, can't get it out, I'm crying all afternoon. Visually stimulating, bueatiful in every sense.
  21. TonyK.
    Mar 28, 2003
    This is pro-rape propaganda which uses violence against women to build sympathy for the male characters - it's hard to believe that anyone could sit through this film and miss this main point. This is not some deep, hip study of human nature - this is a crass, lazy film suggesting that a woman is rescued by being raped. Violence against women is not hip or arty, folks.
  22. JustinP.
    Mar 25, 2003
    Pretentious, boring, tasteless, marred by unconvincing dialogue and unsympathetic characters. This torturously self-conscious attempt at profundity is just bland when its not revolting. Some hauntingly beautiful photography is the only saving grace. Almodovar continues to enthrall the critics despite his repeatedly twisted themes and the solid mediocrity of his writing. His stunning Pretentious, boring, tasteless, marred by unconvincing dialogue and unsympathetic characters. This torturously self-conscious attempt at profundity is just bland when its not revolting. Some hauntingly beautiful photography is the only saving grace. Almodovar continues to enthrall the critics despite his repeatedly twisted themes and the solid mediocrity of his writing. His stunning success is a testament to the desire of critics to celebrate a great European director who diverts from Hollywood formulas, even if hes not really great and his movies would be more interesting if he did so. Expand
  23. Tiffany
    Mar 24, 2003
    This is a sick pro-rape movie. it's about a guy who rapes a woman in a coma, but the director tries to manipulate the audience to feel sorry for the rapist. it's a horrifying commentary on how easily manipulated audiences are that they don't question the statement made by this movie. and even more sick, the rape is supposed to save the victim's life by waking her out ofThis is a sick pro-rape movie. it's about a guy who rapes a woman in a coma, but the director tries to manipulate the audience to feel sorry for the rapist. it's a horrifying commentary on how easily manipulated audiences are that they don't question the statement made by this movie. and even more sick, the rape is supposed to save the victim's life by waking her out of a coma, and she's not even upset about having been raped. how convenient! and how hidiously unrealistic. the reality is that rape victims are 14 times as likely to attempt suicide. many suffer post traumatic stress and horrible emotional devestation, inability to trust, physical trauma, etc. and so on. this film is nothing but a 2 hour sick, twisted, evil rapist's fantasy. it's a disgusting stab in the back to rape victims everywhere to support this film. it's no better than "birth of a nation". Expand
  24. FranciscoA.
    Mar 3, 2003
    Una armoniosa película, llena de sentimientos y de relaciones humanas. Todo ello bien dirigido con seriedad, ternura y, a veces, divertida. Las interpretaciones son magistrales (Javier Cámara un genio). La mejor película del año.
  25. Esther
    Feb 25, 2003
    I cannot stop thinking about this movie: the colors, themes, men, ralationships, women, clothing, jewelry, music, dialogue, movements. It was so much to absorb. Almodovar expresses the pain of heartache and loneliness beautifully.
  26. GutiErrez
    Feb 14, 2003
    A masterpiece. The finest example of making good cinema. Good story. Good play by the actors. And a superb music by Alberto Iglesias. Yes, Almodóvar deserves an Oscar award again.
    Feb 14, 2003
    This movie was so good that I quit eating my popcorn as early as the first few minutes of its beginning. A piece of art that gives me hope that the art of making movies will continue despite all the technological advances that makes wonder what is true and what is made by computers.
  28. ChadS.
    Feb 11, 2003
    Context is everything I guess. What happens to Chloe Sevigny in Larry Clarke's "Kids", happens to Leonor Watling, in this otherwise, intelligent and thoroughly entertaining film. It's three days later, and this plot point still gnaws at me. Is Benigno sympathetic enough to justify his actions? And after that question is weighed for judgment, ask yourself if that's beside Context is everything I guess. What happens to Chloe Sevigny in Larry Clarke's "Kids", happens to Leonor Watling, in this otherwise, intelligent and thoroughly entertaining film. It's three days later, and this plot point still gnaws at me. Is Benigno sympathetic enough to justify his actions? And after that question is weighed for judgment, ask yourself if that's beside the point? Bring a feminist with you to "Talk to Her" and talk to her about it. Expand
  29. JohnY.
    Jan 12, 2003
    Simply amazing.
  30. GerryK.
    Jan 8, 2003
    He is really developing so well. Now he uses wonderful things he has come upon such as the two Pina Bausch dance numbers as bookends to frame the film. The greta Brtazilian singer who makes "La Paloma" live freshly as a great song. Almodovar was always amusing but now he tells stories with resonance and complexity. How lucky we are to have him!
  31. TP
    Jan 7, 2003
    This is, IMHO, one of the best movies of the year. It is a great story, superbly told. Javier C. and D.Grandetti should get all the awards. And Almodovar should get nominated for best director. His achievement cannot be understimated. I have seen the movie several times now, and it keeps getting better.
  32. Blancaevavega
    Jan 3, 2003
    I say only GREAT.....
  33. SiSiJeSuisUnMulroneycakes
    Nov 25, 2002
    How easy it is to label any emotion as "sentimentality". Thank you, and goodnight! Anyway, Talk To Her is almost as good than All About My Mother - which was a masterpiece. If you've never seen any Amoldovar, watch ..Mother, then this, then Flower of my Secret, then Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown. And carry on as you wish.

1. Beautiful (sometimes sublimely so), daring (sometimes outrageously so), seriously crazed and terrifically funny.
    When it's over, the realization of how much the movie means to you really sinks in; you can't get it out of your heart.
  3. This quiet yet jolting meditation on love, obsession, loneliness, friendship and fate has the quality to entrance you through a first viewing, and compel you to take its themes and characters home with you for further consideration.