6.5

1. Nov 22, 2010
    This failed British comedy takes place at a writers' retreat in the country. The lackluster plot revolves around the egos and peccadilloes of the residents and how things are upended when lovely Tamara returns to town. The humor could be considered sophisticated, but I think diluted is a better description. The performances are good and the pacing clips along, but the dialogue doesn'tThis failed British comedy takes place at a writers' retreat in the country. The lackluster plot revolves around the egos and peccadilloes of the residents and how things are upended when lovely Tamara returns to town. The humor could be considered sophisticated, but I think diluted is a better description. The performances are good and the pacing clips along, but the dialogue doesn't provide much enjoyment. Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2012
    Oh dear. This proved to be a fairly mediocre mess of a film. So much cliche, full of mostly bland, forgettable characters. Gemma Arterton is fine, as are most of the performers, but some like the excellent Tamsin Greig deserve better. One particularly cringeworthy scene features Dominic Cooper woo-ing Gemma Arterton by playing the drums on pots and pans with his feet... I guess that'sOh dear. This proved to be a fairly mediocre mess of a film. So much cliche, full of mostly bland, forgettable characters. Gemma Arterton is fine, as are most of the performers, but some like the excellent Tamsin Greig deserve better. One particularly cringeworthy scene features Dominic Cooper woo-ing Gemma Arterton by playing the drums on pots and pans with his feet... I guess that's love. It even manages to mess up the one good relationship in the whole film. Disappointing. Expand
  3. Jan 1, 2012
    Other than a general tendency not to want to pan a movie entirely, I'm not sure what I'm giving it 4 for. The majority of the characters were uniformly unpleasant, the quantity of swearing off-putting (though that's how we know it's a Brit comedy I suppose) and the general themes rather over-worked and reworked without humour. Tamsin Greig's Beth was just about worthy, though coming acrossOther than a general tendency not to want to pan a movie entirely, I'm not sure what I'm giving it 4 for. The majority of the characters were uniformly unpleasant, the quantity of swearing off-putting (though that's how we know it's a Brit comedy I suppose) and the general themes rather over-worked and reworked without humour. Tamsin Greig's Beth was just about worthy, though coming across so down-trodden it was difficult to feel very much sympathy, even in the face of Nicholas' infidelity and insufferable smugness (something Roger Allam does very well). Arterton's Drewe is just plain colourless. Whilst the camera loved her curves, there was little else on show: no motivation, no sympathy, no humour.

Comparisons with Hardy's Far From the Madding Crowd are obvious, but unworthy, and the fact that it was based on a graphic novel is no excuse for cartoon characters that are spiked with inhumanity, rather than leavened with humanity.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Dec 17, 2010
    It's a tart trifle, but in the madding crowd of year-end movies, Tamara Drewe rocks.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 8, 2010
    The cast is delightful top to bottom, although Arterton's role is chiefly defined by seductive smiles and the rise of her cut-off shorts. Allam and Cooper are standouts, creating hormonally despicable characters getting more of Tamara's attention than they deserve.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Dec 8, 2010
    While we may ogle Tamara, blush at her charms and revel in her world, in the end Tarama Drewe is just a bit of Brit tease that doesn't come off.