3.3

1. Jul 8, 2014
    This movie is so awful ,That's three McCarthy movies in a row that were horrible. I'm now putting her in the same ate gory as Adam Sandler, Will Farrell, and Tyler Perry. Never again.
  2. Jul 6, 2014
    While Melissa McCarthy manages to deliver some funny one-liners here and there, the film feels like it's neither trying too hard, nor trying really at all. It feels like too simple of a film, but in some ways that's actually a good thing. It doesn't take any risks, but it also manages to be light-humored at the same time. And the supporting name cast that includes Susan Surandon, SandraWhile Melissa McCarthy manages to deliver some funny one-liners here and there, the film feels like it's neither trying too hard, nor trying really at all. It feels like too simple of a film, but in some ways that's actually a good thing. It doesn't take any risks, but it also manages to be light-humored at the same time. And the supporting name cast that includes Susan Surandon, Sandra Oh, Kathy Bates, etc, manages to make it worthwhile as well. So overall, while "Tammy" isn't hilarious, it's still a simple, lightly funny film that isn't too raunchy and zany like many of today's R-rated comedies. Expand
  3. Jul 5, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy is one of the funniest women and probably one of the best comedic actresses working today, we all know it is very difficult to recieve an OSCAR NOMINATION in a comedy, but she pulled it off with her wonderfully rhythmic and vulgar performance in "Bridesmaids". That being said, if you are a McCarthy fan like myself, you should see this film just to witness her astoundingMelissa McCarthy is one of the funniest women and probably one of the best comedic actresses working today, we all know it is very difficult to recieve an OSCAR NOMINATION in a comedy, but she pulled it off with her wonderfully rhythmic and vulgar performance in "Bridesmaids". That being said, if you are a McCarthy fan like myself, you should see this film just to witness her astounding acting range jumping from hurling crude insults to full on nuanced crying scenes. Then again, if you are looking for any true structure or really any context other than several well timed and well acted one-liners from McCarthy or Susan Sarandon, then this movie isn't for you.
    I do acknowledge director and co-writer Ben Falcone for attempting to create this type of comedy featuring a largely female based cast and at least moving Hollywood blockbuster comedies in the direction it should be moving, even though it may not be a great one.
  4. Jul 2, 2014
    It doesn't show that Tammy is really the funniest Melisa McCarthy movie I saw since Identiy Theft. It needs more funny improvement for McCarthy for herself.
  5. Jul 7, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy is both well-known and great at playing crude, loud, and yet somehow likable characters. Seeing as how this movie was co-written by McCarthy and her husband, who also directed, this is a movie that was built from the ground up to play off of that character type and I was sure it was going to be hilarious. While it is funny it is also unfortunately bogged down by someMelissa McCarthy is both well-known and great at playing crude, loud, and yet somehow likable characters. Seeing as how this movie was co-written by McCarthy and her husband, who also directed, this is a movie that was built from the ground up to play off of that character type and I was sure it was going to be hilarious. While it is funny it is also unfortunately bogged down by some lackluster and overly-familiar dramatic elements. It's very been there done that, and often that will apply to some of the movies jokes as well. There are some times when the jokes just fall flat, but thankfully the overall movie does pack plenty of laugh-worthy moments even if it does play things safe at times by not straying too far from what is expected of R-rated comedies nowadays. It's a good comedy, and while it's emotional moments fail to deliver, Melissa McCarthy is still funny enough to make it worth a watch. So if you've enjoyed McCarthy in the past I think it's safe to say that you'll enjoy the film. Just don't expect anything to impressive and you'll find your laughs. Expand
  6. Jul 10, 2014
    I'm gonna keep this really simple and to directly to the point since there really isn't much more to say: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WATCH THIS F***ING MOVIE. EVER. END OF REVIEW.
  7. Jul 5, 2014
    melissa apparently sold her soul to make this sophomoric pun-riddled mess. how in the world did susan sarandon let herself get dragged down to the bottom of the abyss?
  8. Jul 7, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy doesn't stray from the formula that's worked for her in this film, which she co-write with her husband (he also directed). She plays a boisterous, obnoxious loser who rants at everybody and everything. This can be funny in controlled doses, but McCarthy doesn't understand that. It's non-stop, no holds barred, bull in a china shop broad strokes in every scene. As for plot,Melissa McCarthy doesn't stray from the formula that's worked for her in this film, which she co-write with her husband (he also directed). She plays a boisterous, obnoxious loser who rants at everybody and everything. This can be funny in controlled doses, but McCarthy doesn't understand that. It's non-stop, no holds barred, bull in a china shop broad strokes in every scene. As for plot, she sets out on a road trip with her alcoholic grandmother (Susan Sarandon), but the momentum starts to drag with they insert too many heartfelt moments in an attempt to conjure empathy for her insufferable character. If you're a fan of her style, you'll have your fill…at least for the first hour. Expand
  9. Jul 13, 2014
    This movie was funny, not as laugh out loud funny as The Heat, but still had it's moments. I liked Melissa McCarthy (as usual) and Susan Sarandon in this flick. It had a few parts where I didn't expect to feel anything, but there's actually a pretty sad moment towards the end, but of course, that ends with hilarity. I love McCarthy's acting and I hope she continues to entertain for yearsThis movie was funny, not as laugh out loud funny as The Heat, but still had it's moments. I liked Melissa McCarthy (as usual) and Susan Sarandon in this flick. It had a few parts where I didn't expect to feel anything, but there's actually a pretty sad moment towards the end, but of course, that ends with hilarity. I love McCarthy's acting and I hope she continues to entertain for years to come! The only issue with the movie is I didn't really remember any of the other characters besides McCarthy's, Sarandon's, and the lesbian woman's character. Sorry, idk her name. The plot is kind of sloppy as well, but I left the theater satisfied regardless. Expand
  10. Jul 15, 2014
    This is one of the worst films of the summer. Melissa McCarthy needs better scripts than this. I felt like I was watching Adam Sandler, Grown Ups and Susan Sarandon's wig was terrible here. A lot of the celebs that appear in the film probably did it as a favor or got paid a lot of money.
  11. Aug 11, 2014
    It honestly so **** bad. So. ****. bad. My friend and I were the only ones in the theater. I didn't laugh once. It was stupid, boring piece of **** and I'm angry I saw it. Please do not waste your time. Please.
  12. Aug 26, 2014
    Leaving the theater after watching this paycheck made me think I realized what dog poop tastes like. Going in a expecting "Heat" just made it even the more disappointing. I used to fantasize about Susan Surandon in Rocky Horror and seeing her like this just made my cry out loud. The guy on the front row said "They are not going to go on a road trip are they?" so it looked like even he wasLeaving the theater after watching this paycheck made me think I realized what dog poop tastes like. Going in a expecting "Heat" just made it even the more disappointing. I used to fantasize about Susan Surandon in Rocky Horror and seeing her like this just made my cry out loud. The guy on the front row said "They are not going to go on a road trip are they?" so it looked like even he was disappointed too. The people behind me enjoyed that last half hour of the movie more than me because after I stopped crying out loud I fell asleep. Expand
  13. Jul 6, 2014
    Its a "Rental". Susan, Kathy and Melissa are such good actresses, all (few) good joke were in trailer. More drama than comedy. Tammy, the character, is similar to Diana in Identity Thief. Definitely not recommended.
  14. Jul 7, 2014
    Tammy is an object lesson in the art of directing, which is all it would have taken to turn this near-miss into an instant classic. Though that may be true of most mediocre movies.
  15. Jul 11, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy has been type cast again, Tammy is trying to be a heart wrenching drama in disguise about a relationship between a grandma and her granddaughter, a man and his wife, the fireworks and 4th of July! But it is also a road trip comedy that is trying to be a tamed Hangover movie, also trying to create the most card board cutout love interest of the year, and at this point itMelissa McCarthy has been type cast again, Tammy is trying to be a heart wrenching drama in disguise about a relationship between a grandma and her granddaughter, a man and his wife, the fireworks and 4th of July! But it is also a road trip comedy that is trying to be a tamed Hangover movie, also trying to create the most card board cutout love interest of the year, and at this point it succeeds. Despite all the fun you can have and all the few laughs you can giggle at, you cannot deny that Tammy is as confused as its audience, and that you have seen better. Expand
  16. Nov 23, 2014
    Tammy ultimately succumbs to the modern trend of high attitude and low substance. While the tone is jovial, it ultimately amounts to nothing. I felt no different walking out of the theater than walking in. Melissa McCarthy is one of my favorite comedic personalities today, and she was definitely the highlight of the movie. I only wish they had expanded on her character and the charactersTammy ultimately succumbs to the modern trend of high attitude and low substance. While the tone is jovial, it ultimately amounts to nothing. I felt no different walking out of the theater than walking in. Melissa McCarthy is one of my favorite comedic personalities today, and she was definitely the highlight of the movie. I only wish they had expanded on her character and the characters of the other actors and given them a more substantial plot. Worth a watch, but nothing too special Expand
  17. Jul 29, 2014
    McCarthy is her usual bonkers self, but this flick is uneven and slow. Funny in spots but pretty darn predictable. Wasted talent of a decent cast...
  18. Jul 31, 2014
    Say what you will, but Melissa McCARTHY is undeniably a forced to be reckoned with. Her typical slapstick comedy and over the top raunchy humor simply resonates with audiences, and in the meantime they flock to see everything she does. First off, I loved "Bridesmaids" (I mean who doesn't?). I throughly found tons of enjoyment, and laughs in "The Heat", and I hated "Identity Thief". HerSay what you will, but Melissa McCARTHY is undeniably a forced to be reckoned with. Her typical slapstick comedy and over the top raunchy humor simply resonates with audiences, and in the meantime they flock to see everything she does. First off, I loved "Bridesmaids" (I mean who doesn't?). I throughly found tons of enjoyment, and laughs in "The Heat", and I hated "Identity Thief". Her latest, "Tammy" lands smack dab right in the middle. It's not as good as "Bridesmaids" and "The Heat", however it's far lightyears ahead of "Identity Thief".
    The story comes from director, writer, and husband to McCARTHY Ben Falcone who got the film made on her box office appeal alone. Tammy ... is struggling, going about day to day life. This morning she hit a deer thus totaling her car. She also lost her job at Topperjacks to her egotistical manager (played by Falcone). And to top it off she comes home to find her husband (Nat Faxon) is cheating on her with the next door neighbor (Toni Collette). In a last ditch effort to reclaim her "independence". Tammy decides to go on a cross country road trip (of sorts) with her alcoholic and drug induced Grandmother (played very well by Susan Sarandon).

Where "Tammy" severely lacks, it makes up for in McCARTHY's performance. The script is not as tight and condensed as it needs to be. Running at a very modest, and crisp 90-minute run time (something we ALL can be thankful for). The film saves itself from running to long to drag the morale of the audience down with it. Not to mention the cast itself is top notch (another added strength). Featuring a last second addition of Dan Aykroyd, to Mark Duplass and Gary Cole, the list goes on.

Even if the script is loose and a retread, if anyone could have pulled this film off.. it was indeed McCARTHY. Weather your a fan or not, you can find something in "Tammy" that will at least make you chuckle. Though it's not consistent enough to be a full fledge comedy blockbuster, and when it falls flat (which it does a-lot) McCARTHY is right there to pick the film back up again. Best Joke? McCARTHY tells a skippy young teen to go eat some bath salts and then eat his girlfriends face off.

B-

By: Nate Adams for I-Tunes and The Movie Buff blog.

Directed By: Ben Falcone

Rated: R
    Run-Time: 96 mins
    Studio: Warner Bros.
    Release Date: July 2nd

Thanks For Stopping By ®
  19. Aug 1, 2014
    This movie had it's moment's of laughter, but i wouldn't really call it a comedy. It's more of a energetic drama about two family member's trying to bond on a road trip. Even though it's not as good as i thought the movie shouldn't be rated lower than a 5. The movie may have not been that funny but the story and drama to it really made it a good heart warming little bit funny kind of movie.
  20. Aug 22, 2014
    Wow Tammy is bad. It's so bad that the laziness of the actors and script become apparent immediately and then you have to sit through another hour and half wondering why I didn't just end then movie then.
  21. Aug 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Melissa McCarthy stars in her first lead role and is a comedy mess for starters.

It's about a woman named Tammy (Melissa McCarthy) who ends up losing her job at a fast food joint. She discovers her husband is cheating on her with the next door neighbour so she packs her clothes and walks two houses down to her mothers house. Soon after, she decides to move away but doesn't have her car or money. Her alcoholic Grandmother, Pearl (Susan Sarandon), does and tags along for the ride to Niagara Falls with a lot of booze. After falling off track and a series of misadventures that land her in hot water, she begins to re-think her life all the while dealing with her out of control grandmother who is more trouble to handle sober then she is drunk.

Melissa became well know for her role in Bridesmaids and she made us howl laughing with Identity Thief. Her new movie Tammy is an unpleasant comedy that has no story, no evolution to it and jumps from one thing to another and continues throughout the whole film.

Aside from the fact that it does seriously make you laugh throughout the movie, because of Tammy, the jokes are all one liners and they mostly come from her while Susan Sarandon is unfunny as her booze guzzling grandmother. The whole character is played out on laughs because she has booze hidden everywhere and it runs dry very fast. The story drags on from one thing to another while it slows to explain events of the character's life and why they don't like each other then continues on with the same thing.

The one thing about the film that drags is that Tammy is made out to look like a slobbish piggy loser. It also attacks her weight in seriously insulting scenes that make you feel bad for the character because she wants to be human like everyone else. While everything goes wrong for her, they make her feel even worse about herself by calling her a "Cheeseburger" and "Fat slob" and it is not funny at all to watch. Melissa McCarthy is a beautiful woman and to have scenes of this nature in the film, because she is a bigger woman, is a poor excuse for jokes and ends up making you shake your head in disbelief and disgust.

It seems like this was her dream project because she wrote it with her husband Ben Falcone, who makes his debut as well, but the acting to it is shaky and alone Melissa pulls off the acting to the movie. Kathy Bates just hangs in the shadows in some scenes and offers advice to Tammy about her life and then she even falls short soon after along with Susan who is a drunk mess.

It's sad to see actors/actresses who are very well known, fall short in their roles and look like it is their first time on screen from either little screen time or due to bad writing that makes them look foolish. Granted, it does have laughs and will make you howl but if you look at the overall of the film, it's a wild mess that makes you wonder what happened and Melissa is the only good thing to watch for the film. She proves she can do comedy alone and make you laugh with her crude and foul mouth.

Tammy is a mess and not what was expected. It's good for a few laughs but other pictures are a lot better and funnier.
  22. Sep 3, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy continues her streak of notably hilarious roles in film and television as the titular Tammy. Tammy is your average, flat-storied comedy; which, unfortunately, doesn't always hit the jokes.
  23. Sep 13, 2014
    There was nothing that wowed me in Tammy, but I still think it was entertaining enough to watch. There were definitely some funny moments and serious ones that added some depth.
  24. Sep 27, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy is a funny woman, but her performance is so undersold and unfunny here. I don't want to flat out say that the movie was outright horrible, but for something meant to be a comedy movie, it doesn't deliver. The movie has it's funny lines sprinkled in, but the rest of the movie is just unfunny filler material. Overall, the movie comes off as cheesy.
  25. Oct 5, 2014
    By the book Melissa McCarthy vehicle, thank god it looks like she is breaking out of disgusting mode, BUT I must say TAMMY made me laugh out loud. It just hit the right chord at the right time. Susan Sarandon who seems totally miscast is actually perfect and quite hysterical. I was totally tickled.
  26. Oct 28, 2014
    Tedious and completely unfunny, not only is Tammy a complete waste of time for the audience, but a waste of time and talent for the actors included in it.
  27. Oct 29, 2014
    Congrats, It's another recycled Melissa McCarthy movie, A painfully unfunny actress who for some reason still manages to find work. It's so painfully predictable and unfunny that it hurts to sit through the first 10 minutes let alone the whole thing. It's this year's Jack and Jill and one of the worst comedies of all time.
  28. Nov 12, 2014
    A movie that tries to make you like some very unlikeable characters. Tammy has some funny moments but they are very few and far between. McCarthy can be much funnier and I don't want to see her fall into the Sandler trap. C-
  29. Nov 18, 2014
    This movie is damn near as unfunny as Scary Movie 5. I'm struggling right now through the first 30 minutes. I'm so glad I didn't waste money on this movie in theaters, like so many other morons did.
  30. Dec 10, 2014
    "Tammy" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: There were a couple of chuckle-worthy moments. Susan Sarandon was entertaining as Tammy's diabetic grandmother who is trying to make the most of what's left of her life. In fact, most of the solid comedic moments came from her. There are a few cameos that were a pleasant surprise. The Bad: As usual, McCarthy is the same person she is
    "Tammy" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: As usual, McCarthy is the same person she is in every film which typically has mixed results. Even still, the film just isn't very good or consistently funny as the overwhelming majority of the gags fall flat. Mark Duplass, who is usually pretty good, was stiff and turned in a mediocre performance.
  31. Dec 16, 2014
    Ughhh.... What a bad comedy. The only saving grace of this movie is Melissa McCarthy having some funny lines, but other than that it is messy and has tons of unforgettable characters. I would try to avoid this one if I were you. 3/10 (poor)

1. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jul 4, 2014
    Tammy is not just a celebration of everything vulgar and stupid in the dumbing down of American movies. It’s a rambling, pointless and labored attempt to cash in on Ms. McCarthy’s fan base without respect for any audience with a collective IQ of 10. And it’s about as funny as a liver transplant.
  2. Reviewed by: Aisha Harris
    Jul 2, 2014
    The playful energy between McCarthy and her completely game co-star, Susan Sarandon is more than enough to keep the movie humming along.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Jul 2, 2014
    Grating attempt at comedy, the latest failed attempt to capitalize on McCarthy's considerable charm.