Tammy

2.8

1. Jul 5, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy is one of the funniest women and probably one of the best comedic actresses working today, we all know it is very difficult to recieve an OSCAR NOMINATION in a comedy, but she pulled it off with her wonderfully rhythmic and vulgar performance in "Bridesmaids". That being said, if you are a McCarthy fan like myself, you should see this film just to witness her astoundingMelissa McCarthy is one of the funniest women and probably one of the best comedic actresses working today, we all know it is very difficult to recieve an OSCAR NOMINATION in a comedy, but she pulled it off with her wonderfully rhythmic and vulgar performance in "Bridesmaids". That being said, if you are a McCarthy fan like myself, you should see this film just to witness her astounding acting range jumping from hurling crude insults to full on nuanced crying scenes. Then again, if you are looking for any true structure or really any context other than several well timed and well acted one-liners from McCarthy or Susan Sarandon, then this movie isn't for you.
    I do acknowledge director and co-writer Ben Falcone for attempting to create this type of comedy featuring a largely female based cast and at least moving Hollywood blockbuster comedies in the direction it should be moving, even though it may not be a great one.
  2. Jul 6, 2014
    While Melissa McCarthy manages to deliver some funny one-liners here and there, the film feels like it's neither trying too hard, nor trying really at all. It feels like too simple of a film, but in some ways that's actually a good thing. It doesn't take any risks, but it also manages to be light-humored at the same time. And the supporting name cast that includes Susan Surandon, SandraWhile Melissa McCarthy manages to deliver some funny one-liners here and there, the film feels like it's neither trying too hard, nor trying really at all. It feels like too simple of a film, but in some ways that's actually a good thing. It doesn't take any risks, but it also manages to be light-humored at the same time. And the supporting name cast that includes Susan Surandon, Sandra Oh, Kathy Bates, etc, manages to make it worthwhile as well. So overall, while "Tammy" isn't hilarious, it's still a simple, lightly funny film that isn't too raunchy and zany like many of today's R-rated comedies. Expand
  3. Jul 31, 2014
    Say what you will, but Melissa McCARTHY is undeniably a forced to be reckoned with. Her typical slapstick comedy and over the top raunchy humor simply resonates with audiences, and in the meantime they flock to see everything she does. First off, I loved "Bridesmaids" (I mean who doesn't?). I throughly found tons of enjoyment, and laughs in "The Heat", and I hated "Identity Thief". HerSay what you will, but Melissa McCARTHY is undeniably a forced to be reckoned with. Her typical slapstick comedy and over the top raunchy humor simply resonates with audiences, and in the meantime they flock to see everything she does. First off, I loved "Bridesmaids" (I mean who doesn't?). I throughly found tons of enjoyment, and laughs in "The Heat", and I hated "Identity Thief". Her latest, "Tammy" lands smack dab right in the middle. It's not as good as "Bridesmaids" and "The Heat", however it's far lightyears ahead of "Identity Thief".
    The story comes from director, writer, and husband to McCARTHY Ben Falcone who got the film made on her box office appeal alone. Tammy ... is struggling, going about day to day life. This morning she hit a deer thus totaling her car. She also lost her job at Topperjacks to her egotistical manager (played by Falcone). And to top it off she comes home to find her husband (Nat Faxon) is cheating on her with the next door neighbor (Toni Collette). In a last ditch effort to reclaim her "independence". Tammy decides to go on a cross country road trip (of sorts) with her alcoholic and drug induced Grandmother (played very well by Susan Sarandon).

Where "Tammy" severely lacks, it makes up for in McCARTHY's performance. The script is not as tight and condensed as it needs to be. Running at a very modest, and crisp 90-minute run time (something we ALL can be thankful for). The film saves itself from running to long to drag the morale of the audience down with it. Not to mention the cast itself is top notch (another added strength). Featuring a last second addition of Dan Aykroyd, to Mark Duplass and Gary Cole, the list goes on.

Even if the script is loose and a retread, if anyone could have pulled this film off.. it was indeed McCARTHY. Weather your a fan or not, you can find something in "Tammy" that will at least make you chuckle. Though it's not consistent enough to be a full fledge comedy blockbuster, and when it falls flat (which it does a-lot) McCARTHY is right there to pick the film back up again. Best Joke? McCARTHY tells a skippy young teen to go eat some bath salts and then eat his girlfriends face off.

B-

By: Nate Adams for I-Tunes and The Movie Buff blog.

Directed By: Ben Falcone

Rated: R
    Run-Time: 96 mins
    Studio: Warner Bros.
    Release Date: July 2nd

Thanks For Stopping By ®
  4. Aug 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Melissa McCarthy stars in her first lead role and is a comedy mess for starters.

It's about a woman named Tammy (Melissa McCarthy) who ends up losing her job at a fast food joint. She discovers her husband is cheating on her with the next door neighbour so she packs her clothes and walks two houses down to her mothers house. Soon after, she decides to move away but doesn't have her car or money. Her alcoholic Grandmother, Pearl (Susan Sarandon), does and tags along for the ride to Niagara Falls with a lot of booze. After falling off track and a series of misadventures that land her in hot water, she begins to re-think her life all the while dealing with her out of control grandmother who is more trouble to handle sober then she is drunk.

Melissa became well know for her role in Bridesmaids and she made us howl laughing with Identity Thief. Her new movie Tammy is an unpleasant comedy that has no story, no evolution to it and jumps from one thing to another and continues throughout the whole film.

Aside from the fact that it does seriously make you laugh throughout the movie, because of Tammy, the jokes are all one liners and they mostly come from her while Susan Sarandon is unfunny as her booze guzzling grandmother. The whole character is played out on laughs because she has booze hidden everywhere and it runs dry very fast. The story drags on from one thing to another while it slows to explain events of the character's life and why they don't like each other then continues on with the same thing.

The one thing about the film that drags is that Tammy is made out to look like a slobbish piggy loser. It also attacks her weight in seriously insulting scenes that make you feel bad for the character because she wants to be human like everyone else. While everything goes wrong for her, they make her feel even worse about herself by calling her a "Cheeseburger" and "Fat slob" and it is not funny at all to watch. Melissa McCarthy is a beautiful woman and to have scenes of this nature in the film, because she is a bigger woman, is a poor excuse for jokes and ends up making you shake your head in disbelief and disgust.

It seems like this was her dream project because she wrote it with her husband Ben Falcone, who makes his debut as well, but the acting to it is shaky and alone Melissa pulls off the acting to the movie. Kathy Bates just hangs in the shadows in some scenes and offers advice to Tammy about her life and then she even falls short soon after along with Susan who is a drunk mess.

It's sad to see actors/actresses who are very well known, fall short in their roles and look like it is their first time on screen from either little screen time or due to bad writing that makes them look foolish. Granted, it does have laughs and will make you howl but if you look at the overall of the film, it's a wild mess that makes you wonder what happened and Melissa is the only good thing to watch for the film. She proves she can do comedy alone and make you laugh with her crude and foul mouth.

Tammy is a mess and not what was expected. It's good for a few laughs but other pictures are a lot better and funnier.
  5. Sep 27, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy is a funny woman, but her performance is so undersold and unfunny here. I don't want to flat out say that the movie was outright horrible, but for something meant to be a comedy movie, it doesn't deliver. The movie has it's funny lines sprinkled in, but the rest of the movie is just unfunny filler material. Overall, the movie comes off as cheesy.
  6. Sep 3, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy continues her streak of notably hilarious roles in film and television as the titular Tammy. Tammy is your average, flat-storied comedy; which, unfortunately, doesn't always hit the jokes.
  7. Sep 13, 2014
    There was nothing that wowed me in Tammy, but I still think it was entertaining enough to watch. There were definitely some funny moments and serious ones that added some depth.
  8. Aug 8, 2015
    I found TAMMY was so funny, but everyone isn't like me.

I found TAMMY was so funny, but everyone isn't like me.

I did not get what all the whining about this movie. This film was nominated for the worst actress and supporting actress at Razzie Awards, but I found they were awesome. You can't blame performers for the bad story, in fact the screenplay was okay, but again the story did not influence to build a better screenplay. Hard to predict the scenes, though one would know where the story is heading and that's the difference in this movie. Keep in mind when you're going try it, that you're not watching a Bond movie or a Peter Jackson's, but a small budget comedy. Anticipate as much what the movie weighs, overall and you would never regret for watching it.

As usual a perfect role for Melissa McCarthy, but Susan Sarandon was surprisingly good. It was just a fun road-movie, mostly a semi-fictional to the reality, but who knows there might be people out like these film characters. Like I said, a decent story, it had all the ingredient to be a good comedy flick except one serious scene at the end needed to turn over. Yep, I would have liked to have an unexpected twist, that could have been a game changer in the movie's success. Anyone can enjoy it, if he's/she's open minded. I am already expecting the next movie from the same cast and crew combo which is due early next years.

P.S, there's something between Melissa McCarthy and prison. In the next film I mentioned as well she will be seen in the prison.

9. Nov 12, 2014
    A movie that tries to make you like some very unlikeable characters. Tammy has some funny moments but they are very few and far between. McCarthy can be much funnier and I don't want to see her fall into the Sandler trap. C-
  10. Nov 23, 2014
    Tammy ultimately succumbs to the modern trend of high attitude and low substance. While the tone is jovial, it ultimately amounts to nothing. I felt no different walking out of the theater than walking in. Melissa McCarthy is one of my favorite comedic personalities today, and she was definitely the highlight of the movie. I only wish they had expanded on her character and the charactersTammy ultimately succumbs to the modern trend of high attitude and low substance. While the tone is jovial, it ultimately amounts to nothing. I felt no different walking out of the theater than walking in. Melissa McCarthy is one of my favorite comedic personalities today, and she was definitely the highlight of the movie. I only wish they had expanded on her character and the characters of the other actors and given them a more substantial plot. Worth a watch, but nothing too special Expand
  11. Oct 5, 2014
    By the book Melissa McCarthy vehicle, thank god it looks like she is breaking out of disgusting mode, BUT I must say TAMMY made me laugh out loud. It just hit the right chord at the right time. Susan Sarandon who seems totally miscast is actually perfect and quite hysterical. I was totally tickled.
  12. Dec 19, 2015
    This film is not awful or it's so awful rip your eyes type of film, it's a disappointment and just not funny as it wants to be. What shocking is it is co-written by Melissa McCarthy who was in two funny comedies "Bridesmaid" and "The Heat," clearly she has comic smarts and talented, but her and her husband Ben Falcone wrote the script telling us that even funny people sometimes can't beThis film is not awful or it's so awful rip your eyes type of film, it's a disappointment and just not funny as it wants to be. What shocking is it is co-written by Melissa McCarthy who was in two funny comedies "Bridesmaid" and "The Heat," clearly she has comic smarts and talented, but her and her husband Ben Falcone wrote the script telling us that even funny people sometimes can't be funny. It's not funny, but it's heartwarming at times that's only credit I'm going to give this film. Melissa McCarthy is Tammy (the film's title) she is down on her luck, she is fired from her job from a burger-joint, her husband cheated on her, so she leaves and goes on a trip with her alcoholic grandmother (Susan Sarandon). Falcone is some good films such as "Bridesmaids" or "Enough Said" but as a director is it just lazy. 2/4 stars Expand
  13. Apr 11, 2015
    Tammy, si bien no resulta una comedia inteligente, si logra sacar risas y algunos gags bastante efectivos.

Esta película, que no parte de una historia muy original que se diga, al fin y al cabo se clasifica como un film disfrutable que no cae en la corriente de volverse tonto y absurdo. Se puede decir que quizá no resulta con un tono atractivo, pero de alguna forma se las ingenia para resultar ser un largometraje que logra entretener y que se va en un tono un tanto alocado, tanto en el buen sentido como del malo.
  14. Jul 11, 2014
    Melissa McCarthy has been type cast again, Tammy is trying to be a heart wrenching drama in disguise about a relationship between a grandma and her granddaughter, a man and his wife, the fireworks and 4th of July! But it is also a road trip comedy that is trying to be a tamed Hangover movie, also trying to create the most card board cutout love interest of the year, and at this point itMelissa McCarthy has been type cast again, Tammy is trying to be a heart wrenching drama in disguise about a relationship between a grandma and her granddaughter, a man and his wife, the fireworks and 4th of July! But it is also a road trip comedy that is trying to be a tamed Hangover movie, also trying to create the most card board cutout love interest of the year, and at this point it succeeds. Despite all the fun you can have and all the few laughs you can giggle at, you cannot deny that Tammy is as confused as its audience, and that you have seen better. Expand
  15. Jul 29, 2014
    McCarthy is her usual bonkers self, but this flick is uneven and slow. Funny in spots but pretty darn predictable. Wasted talent of a decent cast...
  16. Dec 10, 2014
    "Tammy" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: There were a couple of chuckle-worthy moments. Susan Sarandon was entertaining as Tammy's diabetic grandmother who is trying to make the most of what's left of her life. In fact, most of the solid comedic moments came from her. There are a few cameos that were a pleasant surprise. The Bad: As usual, McCarthy is the same person she is
    "Tammy" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: As usual, McCarthy is the same person she is in every film which typically has mixed results. Even still, the film just isn't very good or consistently funny as the overwhelming majority of the gags fall flat. Mark Duplass, who is usually pretty good, was stiff and turned in a mediocre performance.
  17. Aug 1, 2015
    Tammy 2014 is actually a pretty fair comedy, it has a nice cast, and some pretty funny parts in it. To me Tammy 2014 is more like a "Trains, Planes, and Automobiles"; it's just a simple comedy and fairly put together. The acting and story-line was fairly well done and performed, I loved the cast selected for the film and I'm not sure why so many bad reviews have went up about this movie.Tammy 2014 is actually a pretty fair comedy, it has a nice cast, and some pretty funny parts in it. To me Tammy 2014 is more like a "Trains, Planes, and Automobiles"; it's just a simple comedy and fairly put together. The acting and story-line was fairly well done and performed, I loved the cast selected for the film and I'm not sure why so many bad reviews have went up about this movie. It's simply a good comedy, it's not fall out of your chair hysterical, but for what it is; the movie is good. We got a good laugh and it was worth seeing.

I do believe that maybe a bit more work in the script and it could've been a complete laugh-fest.

1. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jul 4, 2014
    Tammy is not just a celebration of everything vulgar and stupid in the dumbing down of American movies. It’s a rambling, pointless and labored attempt to cash in on Ms. McCarthy’s fan base without respect for any audience with a collective IQ of 10. And it’s about as funny as a liver transplant.
  2. Reviewed by: Aisha Harris
    Jul 2, 2014
    The playful energy between McCarthy and her completely game co-star, Susan Sarandon is more than enough to keep the movie humming along.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Jul 2, 2014
    Grating attempt at comedy, the latest failed attempt to capitalize on McCarthy's considerable charm.