Tangled

8.6

1. Dec 7, 2010
    Good, not great, just average. Movie for the family, mainly kids. some laughs, some singing, happy ending as usual. Good revamp of the story rapunzel.
  2. Jan 25, 2011
    with a 260 million budget you could at least bribe half of the movie critics out there. No seriously, 260 million? what the hell did you guys do with all that money???
  3. Aug 24, 2011
    6 & 9 year old kids liked it and so did the wife and I. But overall the story is pretty forgettable and not very well executed. Good family flick if you are looking for one, though.
  4. Aug 25, 2011
    Behold. Disney has made a landmark in cinema. There are few times in history of visual arts where a feat such as this is accomplished. Apocalypse Now created a film that felt like being in a Vietnamese war zone. Raging Bull managed, with a camera, to make you feel as if you had been punched square in the jaw. And now, Tangled has done something once thought impossible as well: Disney hasBehold. Disney has made a landmark in cinema. There are few times in history of visual arts where a feat such as this is accomplished. Apocalypse Now created a film that felt like being in a Vietnamese war zone. Raging Bull managed, with a camera, to make you feel as if you had been punched square in the jaw. And now, Tangled has done something once thought impossible as well: Disney has created a Mandy Moore film that doesn't suck. (pause). I apologize for that build up to a silly punch-line, but I would have never forgiven myself if I didn't write it. Oh, the movie? Yeah, it's pretty good. Expand
  5. Nov 14, 2013
    Don’t take this review the wrong way I’m not saying that Tangled is a bad movie it was entertaining. The reason why I am not giving this movie a higher score is because outside of the animation there was nothing really special about this movie. If you like these fairy tale stories where there’s a princess, a hero, and a villain and do not care how formulaic its plot it is or if you’re aDon’t take this review the wrong way I’m not saying that Tangled is a bad movie it was entertaining. The reason why I am not giving this movie a higher score is because outside of the animation there was nothing really special about this movie. If you like these fairy tale stories where there’s a princess, a hero, and a villain and do not care how formulaic its plot it is or if you’re a little kid (especially if you’re a girl) than you’ll enjoy this movie a lot. As for me I fail to see anything amazing about this film. While Tangled isn’t bad its not amazing either. The reason why I gave Toy Story 3 a 9/10 was because it took a typical Toy Story plot and did something interesting with it (growing up, Lotso’s backstory, the furnace scene, and the ending). While fans of this sort of story will love Tangled I do not see this film becoming a classic anytime soon. Expand
  6. Dec 11, 2012
    Inadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has aInadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has a much more important and instructive obligation other than merely an entertainment for the toddlers and above). Coincidentally both films' heroines are princess (Rapunzel in TANGLED and a Scottish Merida in BRAVE), adapted from Grimm Brothers' tale, TANGLED is supremely reminiscent of Disney's other established princess analogs trapped in a magic world, let's say Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, what's more, there will always be a prince-charming to deserve and requite her love. Wisely Rapunzel's Flynn Rider has been sizeably modernized as a reckless, self-mocking yet conservatively "Disney" prince with a thief background. But in BRAVE, Merida is a much more radical rebel by blood, she doesn't have or need a prince with white horse (the film doesn't care to proffer one since all her tribe suitors are one-of-a-kind wackos), she is fighting against her predestined life path which her mother has arranged for her and her status has requested her, a tad thread-bone notwithstanding, but chronicling with a single-linear arc, the mother-daughter predicament has slipped to the hanging-by-a-thread situation when a magic spell transfigures the Queen's appearance into a bear which cannot be recanted after the second sunrise, therefore, instigates an intimate bonding phase for the two, viscerally the mutual love only exudes when something unusual happens, while living in the mundane life, we are all suffering and grated by the love with a insurmountable generation gap. Rapunzel, on the other hand, her main barrier is the ultimate breakthrough from her "mother" Gothel (a greatly overlooked Donna Murphy), who raises her and locks her up in the tower for 18 years, treats her as her own out of a selfish but very understandable motivation (to rejuvenate her youth), but out of any sequential transition, all of a sudden Rapunzel miraculously remember her princess identity (she was taken away when she was an infant, so I doubt there is any memory there, more like an implausible epiphany or actually a screenwriter's block), what's more unbelievably awkward is that she immediately snarls back to her "mother" as if all the recollections of Gothel's evil scheme has been replayed in front of her eyes and she has been tortured for all that year long (actually she is fairly happy and content alone with her cutesy chameleon) , which I deem as a child's play, very much panders to its core audience of pre-school demography. So, from a vantage point under the contemporary context, BRAVE is far more daring and enthralling from its "no guts no glory" premise, it is able to identify with a way broader audience, which is also the main ingredient of the winsome recipe "why Pixar can keep excelling all its peers (if not itself) on the top-tier of the hierarchy", in spite of that on a technical level, all the major animation studios in Hollywood (DREAMWORKS, BLUE SKY STUDIOS, etc.) are almost equally cutting-edge. Music is Disney's strong suit, the first half of TANGLED is a conventional musical showcase, culminating the saccharine romance with the Oscar-nominated theme-song I SEE THE LIGHT, fusing with an intoxicating lanterns-all-over-the-sky spectacle, this has always been the tactic to emit Disney's overblown sentimentality, I am certain it is no longer an all-age proof method now. In BRAVE, although Kelly Macdonald and Emma Thompson's heavy Scottish accents do not get along with my ears, the exotic score and tunes are generally agreeable, and what's more admirable, it doesn't steal the thunder of the film per se. Honestly speaking after the astonishingly-acclaimed WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10), I automatically skipped last years CAR 2 (2011), BRAVE is a left-field choice, the scale of the story has been slimmed down to a quite unimaginable mother-daughter clash, even grafting it on the most platitudinous soil of a princess's tale. But by good fortune, the film doesn't smear Pixar's paramount reputation, Merida goes through a well-deployed rite-of-passage and the sub-plots such as the blue wisps, the ancient lore of the discontent brother and the witch's hut are all positioned into the right niche to uplift the mythology and idiosyncrasy of the film. As for TANGLED, Disney will never relinquish its tradition (otherwise Walt Disney will definitely be jumping inside his tomb), and it is also an exquisitely-made piece of work, just unfortunately paled by comparison by BRAVE since there is no sparks glittering and all the chirpy happiness seems synthetic and a bit stale. Expand
  7. Nov 20, 2013
    Tangled unravels with originality.
    Tangled is an wonderful take of a classic fairy tale. The movie is anti climatic at times, but succeeds with its good pacing and well executed animation. The plot is fine, and the movie is enjoyable.
  8. Mar 30, 2011
    Cute movie, but the music was SUPER cheesy. I liked the horse the best. I think it was a good movie, but not original enough like Wall-E or Finding Nemo...waiting for the next big one!
  9. Dec 12, 2011
    Strictly mediocre fare; it has its moments, but a lot of the movie just doesn't flow well, the plot feels contrived, and the central conflict is not very strong. The wicked witch's power in this movie was -stabbing people-. I mean, really? What kind of evil magic user is that?

The music was very cheesy, and while the animation was beautiful, I can't really say that this is a great movie. Its a children's movie and nothing more.
  10. Dec 12, 2011
    While it is hard to say that "Tangled" was a bad film, it is definitely easy to say that it had a number of critical flaws. It is understandable that it would be cheesy and all, it is a Disney film after all. However, that does not mean that NONE of the conventions of Disney films shouldn't (at least attempted to) be broken. It has the very typical narrative and plot direction, and one canWhile it is hard to say that "Tangled" was a bad film, it is definitely easy to say that it had a number of critical flaws. It is understandable that it would be cheesy and all, it is a Disney film after all. However, that does not mean that NONE of the conventions of Disney films shouldn't (at least attempted to) be broken. It has the very typical narrative and plot direction, and one can see it from a mile ahead. Girl and boy meet, girl falls for boy, boy falls for girl, villain separates them by tricking them, girl disappointed and heart broken, boy comes to save the day, and they live happily ever after. Granted, it does have the reversal of the boy saves girl, where Rapunzel actually saves the boy, but nonetheless it is rather typical. The animation is beautiful with some great work done here. The original score was decent enough, and there were some nice songs, out of which I've especially enjoyed "Mother is Right" and "I See the Lights." Overall, though, with the predictable plot, and really annoying ways of maintaining the typical, mainstream view of what a fairytale is (unlike, for example, Shrek), it ultimately fails to provide us with anything that might be rewarding or challenging at the end. It ultimately comes down to be a good film for kids, but offers very little for adults, except of a cosy film with some nice songs and beautiful visuals. And sometimes that's just enough, but most of the time it just doesn't quite cut it to be a "good" film. 5/10 Expand
  11. Mar 15, 2014
    girly films are just sick and too much for me . at least the only girly film i love frozen . but tangled is okay but it is kinda disapointing . ...........................
  12. Dec 31, 2014
    Classic Disney-style fairy-tale that it is, Tangled sets itself right in the aura of mediocrity that has accompanied Disney these last years (ever since their abandoning classic vignette in favour of CG, in fact). They do try to change their m.o. with snappy "modern" dialogue, but the elements that characterise Tangled are the usual recipe, evil stepmother included. We've seen this storyClassic Disney-style fairy-tale that it is, Tangled sets itself right in the aura of mediocrity that has accompanied Disney these last years (ever since their abandoning classic vignette in favour of CG, in fact). They do try to change their m.o. with snappy "modern" dialogue, but the elements that characterise Tangled are the usual recipe, evil stepmother included. We've seen this story so many times now it's pointless to try and see it with new eyes.

All in all, Tangled is neither here nor there, meaning it's average and with 200 million dollars of budget at least the CGI could be a little more spectacular.

1. Reviewed by: Helen O\'Hara
    Jan 24, 2011
    Not just a pretty face; there's meat on its bones and a song in its heart besides. This deserves a place up there with the best of Disney's previous fairy tales.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 9, 2010
    Disney's spirited re-telling of Rapunzel in 3D animation turns out to be a dazzler.
  3. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Dec 9, 2010
    There aren't that many songs this time - just a handful, reprised ad infinitum. You get to sing most of them, so I'm sure you've noticed how bland they are.