8.4

1. Nov 18, 2014
    If you saw it once and thought it was nice, please trust me and see it again. It's the sort of picture that changes, grows and evolves as you - the viewer - change, grow and evolve. Every time it feels just as fresh and terrifying as ever before.
  2. chw
    Oct 4, 2014
    Taxi Driver was a great Scorsese film. It was not as good as GoodFellas, Hugo, or The Departed, but it WAS better than Casino, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and Raging Bull.
  3. Aug 16, 2014
    The majority prefer Goodfellas but, i prefer Taxi Driver. This movie is one of the most sincere and strangely beautiful movies i have ever seen. With a great soundtrack this movie also won the Palme D'or at Cannes film festival, which is the most prestigious award that you can give to a movie. I highly recommend it!
  4. Jun 28, 2014
    One of Martin Scorsese's three masterpieces along with Raging Bull and Goodfellas, Taxi Driver just stuns me every time I watch it, and I've seen it at least eight times. It's a dark psychological drama about a cab driver named Travis and his descent into isolation and madness, attempting to live "normally" but finding that ultimately impossible. Robert De Niro gives what I think to be hisOne of Martin Scorsese's three masterpieces along with Raging Bull and Goodfellas, Taxi Driver just stuns me every time I watch it, and I've seen it at least eight times. It's a dark psychological drama about a cab driver named Travis and his descent into isolation and madness, attempting to live "normally" but finding that ultimately impossible. Robert De Niro gives what I think to be his second best performance only behind Raging Bull, and in some ways this role is even more complex than that of Jake LaMotta was. This film, outside being excellent in it's craft from the direction and score and all the very strong supporting performances, is very entertaining though in a way that's sometimes hard to watch. Just amazing. Expand
  5. Jun 10, 2014
    This movie was a fantastic masterpiece. This movie is very intense, and if possible i would watch the movie with no "movie talkers" because every line of dialogue in this movie is vital. You know its a good movie when after you watch it you have to stop and think about just how crazy that was. I wish i had never seen it so i could re watch it for the first ti again.
  6. Apr 26, 2014
    This is certainly not one of Scorsese's better movies. It is not particularly enjoyable to watch with its weird tone. There is some suspense but the payoff really isn't that good. Acting is fine with some interesting dialogue, but that is about it.
  7. Apr 26, 2014
    To quote Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, World's End), because he sums it up better than I could possibly hope to, this is "a film so vivid, hypnotic and corrosive that it feels forever seared onto your eyeballs, Taxi Driver turns a city, a time and a state of mind into a walking nightmare that’s somehow both horribly real and utterly dreamlike".

One of my three favourite

One of my three favourite films of all time along with Goodfellas and 2001: A Space Odyssey from America's greatest living filmmaker. Not to mention that Robert De Niro gives one of his greatest performances. Pity, considering the crap that he is seems to be releasing nowadays.
  8. Apr 26, 2014
    The first half of Taxi Driver kept my attention of wondering how this will play out but around the 1 hour mark it started to drift and gave an unmemorable ending. A good movie that ended on a disappointment.
  9. Apr 5, 2014
    I did not like this one as much as I expected to, but I liked it a lot all the same. I was initially going to rate this a little lower, but I paused and realized that I all of the major aspects that I look for were good to great in this film. The acting, led by Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster, was phenomenal, especially those two. Martin Scorsese is one of the best filmmakers around andI did not like this one as much as I expected to, but I liked it a lot all the same. I was initially going to rate this a little lower, but I paused and realized that I all of the major aspects that I look for were good to great in this film. The acting, led by Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster, was phenomenal, especially those two. Martin Scorsese is one of the best filmmakers around and this film is no exception as his direction is on point and provided for some really cool shots of New York City, especially those from inside the taxi cab. The writing here was also good with plenty quotable lines and providing for a fantastic characterization of our lead, Travis Bickle. It was so painfully obvious who he was, that you could almost predict his actions before he did them, which is a sign of a great script. We really become invested Travis and he truly comes to life in this film. Ultimately, that is the film's "claim to fame". I do not love the story and the film can be quite slow, almost boring, at times, but at the end of the day, the film is a class-A character study that really hits all of its marks. Expand
  10. Mar 31, 2014
    Taxi Driver follows the story of Travis. Travis wants a rain to come along and wash all the scum off the street. So he becomes the rain. De Niro proves he is the arguably the best living actor. His potrayal of a Vietnam veteran is haunting. The movie digs so deep into his character. And the end scene will stick with you forever.
  11. Mar 25, 2014
    Good movie. It held my attention all the way through but I felt that towards the end it was trying to hard to be dark and shocking. Still it's a good watch.
  12. Feb 22, 2014
    Before classics like " The Departed", "The Wolf of Wall Street", "Goodfellas", "Casino", etc. Scorsese made a character driven film that features stellar performances by Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepard, etc. But in paticular, Robert De Nero. This is De Nero's best performance (in my opinion). You really learn about his character and what he deals with and how he chooses to deal with certainBefore classics like " The Departed", "The Wolf of Wall Street", "Goodfellas", "Casino", etc. Scorsese made a character driven film that features stellar performances by Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepard, etc. But in paticular, Robert De Nero. This is De Nero's best performance (in my opinion). You really learn about his character and what he deals with and how he chooses to deal with certain situations. It's all these different situations stuffed into one movie. You have Travis and Betsy getting to know each other, you have Palentine running for president and you have a 12 year old prostitute all crammed into one movie. My only big flaw is the fact that the movie is so character driven that you don't learn much about the other characters. (Which I guess really doesn't matter I guess) but maybe this movie could have been longer, I don't know. All I know is this that I was amazingly impressed with how much I enjoyed this movie and how interested in De Nero's performance as Travis Bickle. Overall, it's an amazing character driven Scorsese picture. I give it an A-! Expand
  13. Jan 10, 2014
    Taxi Driver is an intriguing movie but difficult to judge. On the one hand, it's got a great premise, great direction and nice story. On the other, the way it delivers its message is ambiguous, especially the ending. The whole movie builds up to the last 20 minutes or so and then it just gets lost - there's no clear explanation for how and why anything happened. To say it's supposed to beTaxi Driver is an intriguing movie but difficult to judge. On the one hand, it's got a great premise, great direction and nice story. On the other, the way it delivers its message is ambiguous, especially the ending. The whole movie builds up to the last 20 minutes or so and then it just gets lost - there's no clear explanation for how and why anything happened. To say it's supposed to be a classic, it's quite disappointing really. I wouldn't recommend it if you have high expectations. Expand
  14. Nov 6, 2013
    Another De'Nero film that hit the roof with over the top brilliant acting, dialogue and all over brilliance with the films atmosphere and characters. I would love to see this film again.
  15. Oct 31, 2013
    A very comprehensive character study. The transformation of Travis from a low-life into a vigilante is portrayed with extreme detail. The character development was believable and entertaining. The acting was top notch in De Niro's case. Cybil Shepherd played a subtle, soft-hearted campaign worker for a presidential candidate. Jodie Foster delivered a surprisingly engaging performance, andA very comprehensive character study. The transformation of Travis from a low-life into a vigilante is portrayed with extreme detail. The character development was believable and entertaining. The acting was top notch in De Niro's case. Cybil Shepherd played a subtle, soft-hearted campaign worker for a presidential candidate. Jodie Foster delivered a surprisingly engaging performance, and showed great promise at such a tender age. De Niro carried the momentum by himself for much of the movie. The pacing was brilliant and was just right to get the balance between plot, character development, and action right. Expand
  16. Oct 19, 2013
    I love the work of Martian Scorsese and taxi driver is truly one of his finest achievements, The film is so creepy and disturbing from the first moment you see and meet the character Travis you can tell something is very wrong with him, that something is about to click unleashing this horrible vulgar beast, and damn when the conflict hits, it goddamn hits, ohh and its probably good toI love the work of Martian Scorsese and taxi driver is truly one of his finest achievements, The film is so creepy and disturbing from the first moment you see and meet the character Travis you can tell something is very wrong with him, that something is about to click unleashing this horrible vulgar beast, and damn when the conflict hits, it goddamn hits, ohh and its probably good to mention that hes not a bad crazy serial killer who preys on the innocent killing give a simple taxi driver who is driving to insanity due to the disgusting crime, violence, sex and loss of innocents that consumes our disturbed protagonist, only reason why i would not rate this movie a 10 is the fact that i was truly disturbed by the film, i couldn't sleep i was so mesmerized by the film, it made me feel dirty Expand
  17. Jul 2, 2013
    I did not get this movie at all. It is so slow and it is like the plot wants to move forward but it doesn't know how. The only great thing was De Niro's performance and his character's development. I know it is a classic and I know that Scorsese is one of the best directors out there but come on! Totally overrated.
  18. Jun 18, 2013
    Excellent movie with so many small, great moments. This story is told perfectly, and the film is completely engrossing. Robert De Niro gives a ridiculously good performance as well.
  19. Apr 28, 2013
    Although personally, this wasn't my favourite Scorsese movie, Taxi Driver manages to tell a story with little flaws in a superb way way. The last 20 minutes made the movie. It was a genius approach to a story and very entertaining although I believe that some of the scenes were not developed as much as they had to, or were not necessary at all. Overall, great movie!
  20. Mar 9, 2013
    On my list for one of the best films ever, Taxi Driver is by far Scorsese's best direction ever.
  21. Nov 7, 2012
    Taxi Driver will always be one of the greatest films of all time. It is the first movie in history to ever flawlessly show the disintegration of the human mind. It is an expert character study and Scorsese's masterpiece.
  22. Oct 16, 2012
    Taxi Driver is one of my favorite movie's and the others movies i like is The Godfather (1972) . Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies.
  23. Oct 15, 2012
    Quite possibly seven movies I can call a masterpiece Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). The Silence of the Lambs (1991) . 12 Angry Men (1957). To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) . Scarface (1983). Seven (1995) .
  24. Sep 19, 2012
    This is Probably One Of Martin Scorsese's Best Film Ever, I would Recommend It To Every Body, Robert De Niro's Best Performance And It Won The Palme D'or At The Cannes Film Festival In 1976.
  25. Aug 23, 2012
    When you see Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese in a single banner, you always see film-making at an entirely different level. Most of the people haven't been able to understand the true meaning of this film and that's the sole reason they don't like it. I can clearly say that it is one of the greatest films Martin Scorsese has ever made. The direction, the screenplay and theWhen you see Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese in a single banner, you always see film-making at an entirely different level. Most of the people haven't been able to understand the true meaning of this film and that's the sole reason they don't like it. I can clearly say that it is one of the greatest films Martin Scorsese has ever made. The direction, the screenplay and the cinematography are very well done. And yes, you can expect a little biasness from me as I am a huge fan of psychological thrillers. Expand
  26. Aug 17, 2012
    ,,Taxi Driver'' is one of Martin Scorsese's masterpieces, a must-see of cinematography, elevated, popular and highly appreciated movie. Scorsese presents a thrilling look over mid 70's New York, through the windshield of Travis's cab. The blurred lights, strong contrasts, steaming sewers, wet streets, moving frames creates a powerful image and gives notorious look to this movie. The,,Taxi Driver'' is one of Martin Scorsese's masterpieces, a must-see of cinematography, elevated, popular and highly appreciated movie. Scorsese presents a thrilling look over mid 70's New York, through the windshield of Travis's cab. The blurred lights, strong contrasts, steaming sewers, wet streets, moving frames creates a powerful image and gives notorious look to this movie. The picture created in ,,Taxi Driver'' become representative and gives a powerful, visual, artistical side to the movie. Travis Bickle is the main character, a taxi driver, veteran of Vietnam War, who takes any taxiing in New York, night or day, with no discrimination (,,It's the same for me''), an outsider to society (,,Loneliness has followed me my whole life'') and life, with no direction to go on, surely affected by the war, a time bomb and a very psychological complex character. ,,Taxi Driver'' is seen through the eyes of taxi driver, Travis, the vision over the city, the insights, the action, all belonging to him. Being psychological complex, Scorsese analyses Travis in broad and comprehensive areas, using the action at which he takes part, dialogues and also monologues of great intensity and moral attitude. De Niro's performance is outstanding, one of the greatest in his career, he gives life to a complex character with an amazing performance. The soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann completes the movie, all the other aspects of it being well-supported by this. The deep contrasts, sleazy sounds, music of saxophone, distressing atmosphere, dreaming state, the resonant power of the main theme elevate this soundtrack to an artistic peak and completes the distressing image of New York in Scorsese's vision. After Travis, the next point as relevance, is the image of New York. Scorsese creates a symbol in representation of New York from multiple points of view, the city is mastery presented through Travis's vision, directing vision and artistic vision (both visual and acoustic). From all the ,,scum'', depraved, vicious social categories to one, complex, lonely, moral character, from a distressing image to the cry of saxophone, from an outstanding direction to art, Scorsese combines all 4 major elements of this movie (the character, the visual, the acoustic, the direction) into an artistic, social and psychological lyric. Expand
  27. Jun 7, 2012
    Taxi Driver has the best scrip I have ever seen be directed in film.De Niro portrays a taxi driver who's out to clean the dirty streets of New York. It is very well directed , I mean c'mon it was done freaking Scorsese. The supporting actors do an amazing job especially young Jodie Foster who plays a 12-year-old prostitute.
  28. May 12, 2012
    This psychological drama thriller is hard-hitting as well as one of the best movies.I liked all the characters and the climax was the highlight of the movie.
    There are so many possibilities for Climax but i interpret as a Dream sequence in which Travis Bickle is fantasizing in his comma that how healthy he is now in the society and with Betsy.
    Travis fights mobsters and Pimps just to save
    Travis fights mobsters and Pimps just to save a little girl, Iris stuck in hell-like-world ,Jodie Foster is too good in movie.
    As Albert Brooks debut was short but it was effective and proved to be useful for his further career,I liked him too.
    This movie is hard to forget as with such a great Storyline,Direction, and timeless Acting.
    So the Verdict,An all time classic and Martin Scorcese's masterpiece with Robert De Niro at his best.
  29. Mar 19, 2012
    This is Scorcese's second best film next to goodfellas. It is an unbelievable film with excellent camerawork, excellent acting from deniro and this leads to an excellent film.
  30. Dec 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An unjustifiably celebrated movie. Scorsese directs well enough. The actors are good (especially Jodie Foster and Harvey Keitel). The gritty NY cinematography might have been awesome back in 1976 but nowadays we get a steady dose from Law & Order and other TV shows/movies. But, the plot is insufficient. There is no psychological insight into the protagonist/villain - nothing that tells us who he is and why he is driven to assassinate a presidential candidate. Worse and undeniably devastating to the film, the ending is absurd and morally silly and bankrupt. The protagonist fails to kill the presidential candidate so he runs off and "redeems" himself by rescuing a teenage prostitute and kills her pimp.

For this, our "hero" is now the city's hero and he seems to go on happily living his life. No wonder John Hinckley, jr. got the wrong idea.
  31. j30
    Nov 13, 2011
    In my top 5 and my favorite Scorsese movie. The undertones and under lying themes are intense and thought-provoking. It's also one of Robert De Niro's best performances.
  32. Oct 7, 2011
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a minute. I have to take a few breaths and appluad like mad at the brilliance that this film unravels. It's captivating as **** the acting is completely magnificent, the directing and editing have nearly reached the height of their capabilites.
  33. Sep 29, 2011
    "Taxi Driver", with "Raging Bull", is THE true American crime movie i'm talking about. Martin Scorsese presents the true countenance of the cinema of crime with powerful characters and jazzy music. Stars Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster also skillfully handled the movie with appealing performances in the movie too (De Niro HAD to get a **** Oscar!!). Its a movie where you watch it and"Taxi Driver", with "Raging Bull", is THE true American crime movie i'm talking about. Martin Scorsese presents the true countenance of the cinema of crime with powerful characters and jazzy music. Stars Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster also skillfully handled the movie with appealing performances in the movie too (De Niro HAD to get a **** Oscar!!). Its a movie where you watch it and become spellbound by the sheer epicness of the film. Expand
  34. May 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A disturbing look into Travis's life and even glimpses into our own. It is hard to put a film like this into a category but it could go into horror genre in many ways as this is a nightmare to Travis but more so the people who he meets as there lives are either changed by him for better or worse with Travis's fate left hanging in a very thought provoking ending. Expand
  35. Feb 18, 2011
    Classic psychological drama - The Palme d'Or wiener from 1976 is a realistic depiction of a paranoid bachelor who lives in the shadow of himself and in the shadow of a condemnable society. Travis Bickle is a disillusioned Vietnam-veteran who lives in Manhattan and works at nights driving a taxi in New York City, a town he thinks is infested by animals and scum who should be terminated.Classic psychological drama - The Palme d'Or wiener from 1976 is a realistic depiction of a paranoid bachelor who lives in the shadow of himself and in the shadow of a condemnable society. Travis Bickle is a disillusioned Vietnam-veteran who lives in Manhattan and works at nights driving a taxi in New York City, a town he thinks is infested by animals and scum who should be terminated. He lives alone, has no friends and only talks to his colleagues at the cafeteria where they often hang out, but when he one night meets twelve year old Iris, a prostitute and runaway, his less apparent charitable side is awakened, and he decides to do everything he can to get her away from the street life. Martin Scorsese inculcated his name in Cinema history with this metaphoric vision of a USA in the aftermath of the Vietnam war where chaos and anarchy ravages along steaming streets. At the center of the story stands Travis Bickle, a loner with sociopathic tendencies who carries evident marks from the Vietnam war. The pitiful creature who wanders around in an alienated and doomed society with illusions of greatness, a quality which saves him from becoming a defeatist, get's as supposed to most people witness the night life in the streets of New York so ingoing that he becomes demoralized by the repetitive deprivation he sees. Paul Schrader's misantrophical, socially critical and chronologically told screenplay is an urgent character study about one individuals compromising behavior and moral downfall. If Bickle is a disguised Christ figure as the ingenious ending implies, or a full-blooded sociopath seeking redemption, is left for the viewer to interpret. The only thing one can determine, which is also a reassurance, is that Travis Bickle is a fictional character, not a real person. "Taxi Driver" is told through Robert De Niro's voice-over, and the whole film is seen from Bickle's perspective. A melancholic and often demanding point of view to follow as one realizes, already after the awkward scene where he shocks and repulses the beautiful campaign assistant Betsy by taking her out on a date to see a pornographic movie, that he is a doomed character who has burned all his bridges before they where even built. Bickle is personified with sharp authenticity and emphatically authority by Robert De Niro, who was nominated for best actor in 1976. What is so masterful with Martin Scorsese's classic psychological drama is that the essential cinematic elements converges, reflects the main characters darkened soul and is compressed into an eminent compositions of style and form. Another brilliant aspect is Scorsese's balanced mix of genre, where he navigates within film-noir, horror and western. The minimal rays of hope in this metaphorical inferno of a film, occurs in the sporadic and liberating moments when Scorsese drags the viewer out of the main characters frenetic mind. Expand
  36. Dec 5, 2010
    one of best movies from holywood , losing only for goodfellas i hope they start to the actual movies as good as the 60's , 70's movies
  37. Aug 20, 2010
    One of the most timeless and brilliant psychological dramas of all time.

One of the most timeless and brilliant psychological dramas of all time.

Thrillers movies have nowadays become overly overdone, formulaic, half-baked, and worst of all, predictable. Thrillers like The Fugitive are great entertainment because although serving no purpose, it never fails to keep its audience gripped and guessing. The best psychological thriller movies are those that make fiction look real rather than fiction look...well, fictional. That type really creeps you in 3D and you don't need any special specs. It is an entertainment that works on the mind. And that is scary because it is believable and relatable as well. And the greatest film of this genre is Taxi Driver, one of my favorite films of all time.

Taxi Driver starts with Travis Bickle getting his license as a nighttime taxi driver. He claims to be an honorably discharged war veteran dealing with insomnia. During his shifts, he nastily comments on the dirty conditions of New York, namely the crimes that occur at night. He sets eyes on a beautiful woman (Cybill Shepherd) who is helping with a campaign that Senator Palpatine is running. He impresses her once but later disgusts her after taking her to an adult movie. Travis then discovers a 12-year-old whore named Easy who is controlled by her pimp, Sport. Travis, having had enough with the filth he has seen happening in New York, takes up a violent mission to "save" his girlfriend and rescue Easy.

This album is not really about plot. The plot is the character itself. In other words, Taxi Driver is a character study. Here Martin Scorsese takes us into the world seen through Travis. Travis becomes our eyes and guide throughout the movie. He is the perspective that we find creepy yet pitiable. He is a lonely chump. He has no friends and can only contact his family through letters. He even lies to his parents that he is a government agent who cannot disclose his address to anyone as it would affect his secrecy. Why? He doesn't want his parents to find out about his poor-paying job and miserable life. And he himself isn't too nice. Often he looks with cold stares at blacks showing a racist attitude.

Yet his character is the core of the film that keeps drawing us further in. He tells us that he hates what goes on in New York: the drug trafficking, murders, robberies, and prostitution. Yet despite that, at day he watches porno movies in the theater. Out of a lack of importance. He doesn't know anything worthy enough for him to do. He doesn't know what to achieve. He is not exactly a hypocrite but a person who longs for meaning in a life that seems hopeless and aimless.

He sights Cybill and is drawn to her beauty and wants to have a relationship with her. But he doesn't know the workings of society. When she leaves the porno theater in disgust, we feel appalled yet sympathetic towards Travis. There is a scene in the film where Travis is shown trying to phone Cybill and the camera slowly goes away from Travis. Scorsese did this to make the audience feel as if they did not want to bear seeing Travis' pain because we have connected so tightly with him even though it is only almost halfway into the film. And later on, Travis tries to tell Easy to quit prostitution and go back to her family. While to us, Easy seems disinterested and quite content with her life with Sport, Travis insists because he has nothing better to do. He just wants to make his life worth something by doing a good deed. Similarly, when he talks with a secret service agent and Palpatine, he takes it as a regular conversation whereas we and the other characters smell something wrong. That is the mystery of his character that keeps us gripped, wanting to find out more. I won't say further. I have already given too much. Please, if you haven't, go see this film.

1. Perhaps the most formally ravishing-as well as the most morally and ideologically problematic-film ever directed by Martin Scorsese. (Review of Original Release).
    A brilliant nightmare and like all nightmares it doesn't tell us half of what we want to know. (Review of Original Release)
    One of Scorsese's most influential and disturbing films on the big screen. (Review twenty years after release).