8.7

1. Jul 2, 2013
    I did not get this movie at all. It is so slow and it is like the plot wants to move forward but it doesn't know how. The only great thing was De Niro's performance and his character's development. I know it is a classic and I know that Scorsese is one of the best directors out there but come on! Totally overrated.
  2. Dec 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An unjustifiably celebrated movie. Scorsese directs well enough. The actors are good (especially Jodie Foster and Harvey Keitel). The gritty NY cinematography might have been awesome back in 1976 but nowadays we get a steady dose from Law & Order and other TV shows/movies. But, the plot is insufficient. There is no psychological insight into the protagonist/villain - nothing that tells us who he is and why he is driven to assassinate a presidential candidate. Worse and undeniably devastating to the film, the ending is absurd and morally silly and bankrupt. The protagonist fails to kill the presidential candidate so he runs off and "redeems" himself by rescuing a teenage prostitute and kills her pimp.

For this, our "hero" is now the city's hero and he seems to go on happily living his life. No wonder John Hinckley, jr. got the wrong idea.

1. Perhaps the most formally ravishing-as well as the most morally and ideologically problematic-film ever directed by Martin Scorsese. (Review of Original Release).
    A brilliant nightmare and like all nightmares it doesn't tell us half of what we want to know. (Review of Original Release)
    One of Scorsese's most influential and disturbing films on the big screen. (Review twenty years after release).