7.8

1. Oct 29, 2014
    Using the capture, torture and subsequent death of a seemingly innocent Afghanistani taxi-driver as a starting point, Taxi to the Dark Side, explores the United States treatment of prisoners during the so called 'war on terror' instigated by George W Bush and his administration during the mid 2000's.

Filmmaker Alex Gibney never shy's away from asking people the tough questions and his interviews with those involved in the torture, and experts on interrogation, reveals the shocking truth about what went on in Parwan Detention Facility and Guantanamo Bay. With its subject nature, and use of disturbing imagery to illustrate its case, Taxi to the Dark Side is not an easy watch in places but anyone in any doubt as to the use of torture in warfare needs to see this film.
  2. Aug 23, 2010
    Documentary about a taxi driver from Afghanistan that was captured by the US, taken prisoner & tortured to his death.
    With a subject like this it's always going to be a rough ride & this film certainly doesn't shy away from anything making it hard-going at points.
    At the same time, it's very well put together, powerful & very interesting.
  3. AnthonyS
    Nov 3, 2008
    This is an incredibly moving documentary. At one point I burst into tears out of shame for my country and sadness for Delawar's death. I would force every supporter of torture to see this film before they attempt to justify such inhumanity.
  4. BrandenR
    Oct 31, 2008
    I saw this film after a podcast I listen to, Cinebanter, mentioned it. I caught this on HBO. This movie is tough to watch. It makes you ashamed of your own government. I had to take a short break from the disturbing images in this doc.
  5. JayH
    Sep 18, 2008
    Bush is such a lying scumbag. How can America allow him to stay in office? How could so many people be so stupid to vote for him? Moving, infuriating documentary, superbly pieced together and well researched. Amazing.
  6. JaredC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Rated R for disturbing crappy images and content involving torturous scenes and graphically boring elements.
  7. AgathaX
    Mar 21, 2008
    I did not want to go see this movie, and in truth I spent substantial amounts of time with my eyes hidden. But everyone needs to see this documentary, for the only thing it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing. It was an exquisite and deeply patriotic movie. A call to action.
  8. PeterK
    Feb 28, 2008
    An invaluable film that documents the flat-out lies and public deceits that the Bush regime (military, White House, and CIA) has used to subvert the fundamentals of the American institution of democracy and over 700 years of English law in its monomaniacal pursuit of "the bad guys." A small and otherwise unextraordinary taxi driver becomes the focus of an investigation that ultimately An invaluable film that documents the flat-out lies and public deceits that the Bush regime (military, White House, and CIA) has used to subvert the fundamentals of the American institution of democracy and over 700 years of English law in its monomaniacal pursuit of "the bad guys." A small and otherwise unextraordinary taxi driver becomes the focus of an investigation that ultimately uncovers the truth about torture and the Bush regime's need to find scapegoats for 911. The scope of this documentary includes Afghanistan, Iraq, Washington DC and Guantanamo. This truly is a Must-See film, even if it is a documentary. Be ready for disturbing images that include nudity and torture. People, this is about what OUR government has been doing in the name of democracy. Expand
  9. Dave
    Feb 22, 2008
    Great film, can't really say I'm surprised by what was presented in the film. Roger Ebert really hit the nail on the head. January 2009 can't get here soon enough and we can finally be rid of this corrupt administration!
  10. TravisC
    Feb 21, 2008
    Alex Gibney does a disservice to his previous (and infinitely better) film, "Enron, et al." THIS film ("Taxi") had essentially no point. What -- torture is bad? Duh. Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld are bad? No kidding. A two-hour guilt-trip that I could do without. Go see "Sicko" instead.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    In the end, this passionate indictment of present U.S. policies stirs both sadness and outrage.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Weissberg
    Photos and video of torture at Bagram and Abu Ghraib are the most viscerally disturbing elements of Taxi to the Dark Side, but the way soft-spoken soldiers were transformed into beasts with the tacit approval of the higher-ups is just as profoundly chilling.
  3. It’s the equal of "No End in Sight" in its tight focus on the nuts and bolts of incompetence, and it surpasses any recent melodrama in the empathy it evokes for both its victims and--surprisingly--victimizers.