6.8

1. May 13, 2011
    Better than your average movie of this type Tears of the sun delivers a respectable story and good acting. Worth a watch, mabye worth buying for around $3. Nothing special here though really, it is just your normal slightly above average flick.
  2. Dec 15, 2011
    The movie opens brilliantly offering a new look into war in contrast to the Vietnam/World II films such as Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, or Saving Private Ryan. Unfortunately this new look is not so good and I found myself soon begging for those classics. The only basis for Tears of the Sun is not in history, but in fiction. The film thus becomes tiresome soon after Bruce Willis enters theThe movie opens brilliantly offering a new look into war in contrast to the Vietnam/World II films such as Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, or Saving Private Ryan. Unfortunately this new look is not so good and I found myself soon begging for those classics. The only basis for Tears of the Sun is not in history, but in fiction. The film thus becomes tiresome soon after Bruce Willis enters the Nigerian village. By the end, we are left with lackluster acting (save for Willis), improbable and unbelievable circumstances including Willis disobeying direct orders without consequence, a cliched and poorly created love scenario between Willis and the good doctor, an ending more cliched than the love scenario and just as poorly built, and a directing style that is at times smooth and stylish, but at others cramped and hard to stomach. Tears of the Sun stands as one of the worse war movies of recent years, though with only two battle sequences in its over 2 hour length, war movie may be an improper description. Collapse
  3. Dec 25, 2013
    Yes, the characters are wooden and the plot is entirely generic and predictable, but thanks to some utter cinematic dedication from Fuqua, a handful of cool action set pieces, and a criminally underrated score from Hans Zimmer, "Tears Of The Sun" mostly succeeds as an action thriller.
  4. BubbaFresh
    Mar 9, 2003
    Not a great war flick, but also not deserving of a zero.
  5. AnnaS.
    Jul 3, 2003
    Tears of the sun reminds me of a video game called metal slug and another movie called the walking dead.If you have already seen this flick,you'll understand what I'm talking about,because I give this one a 5,okay?
  6. Phatman
    Mar 9, 2003
    It's not a bad movie, except you can't tell what the hell is going on. Half the movie is in this dark jungle where you can't tell who's doing what.
  7. ChazG.
    Jul 11, 2003
    By far, has the most realistic tactical entry scene I have ever seen in any action film. (HK MK 23) If you can get over the lack of logical judgement in the best special forces team the U.S. has to offer, this may be perceived as not a bad movie.
  8. Spriggangirl
    Jul 3, 2003
    Tears of the sun reminds me of a video game called metal slug and another movie called the patriot that I've seen before.If anyone that has already seen this film and does'nt know that tears of the sun is like metal slug,you should see it, okay?

Tears of the Sun may be a flattering myth, but it’s not a bad myth to be flattered by. [17 March 2003, p. 154]
  2. The movie remains engaging, with a couple of sequences verging on stunning.
  3. Unfortunately, the movie's real setting is a sentimental fantasy world, and its story is a spectacularly incoherent exercise in geopolitical wish fulfillment.