5.0

1. Aug 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ultimately it’s just kind of… there. It’s bland. Most of the things that make the TMNT franchise feel special have been sanded off to make a very generic modern superhero movie, but one that does almost everything worse than the rest do. There’s a brief action scene that’s sort of like a key early sequence in Batman Begins, just… worse. The origin backstory for the Turtles and Splinter and the entire climax scene are photocopies of The Amazing Spider-Man, just… worse. They add nothing to what came before. None of it’s memorable. It’s just there.
    If I can give some praise, I’ll give it to Noel Fisher. He’s a good Michelangelo. The few times I found myself smiling, it was because of his performance. Easily the high point.
    The script is awful. Nothing makes a bit of sense. Eric Sacks’ evil master plan is to pump the city full of deadly gas and use the curative properties of the mutagen (a shoehorned-in aspect of the IDW comic series that’s just kinda… there, overcomplicating things for no specific reason) to play the “saviour” and cure everyone, and also receive a big government payday. He’s doing it to get rich, even though he’s clearly already crazy rich, with a palatial mountain estate and his own corporate tower in Manhattan. He has no additional motivation. And his actual plan is laughably stupid - he has the Shredder pump the bright red poison gas out from the top of his tower in the city… which would be immediately noticed by absolutely everyone and reveal that he was behind it all along. How does this plan end with anything but him in a prison cell?
    The Shredder himself? He doesn’t need to be in this movie. He serves no purpose. He’s just there to fight Splinter and the Turtles, nothing more. He has no motivation and no character. And even then, he’s almost comically bad at being the big bad villain - he just leaves characters “for dead” twice, who of course turn out to be alive, for no good reason at all. Just, welp, I’m leaving now because whatever. Just to give the movie some cheap drama.
    This movie doesn’t really have much of a plot to speak of. I think it might have more plot holes than actual plot. Plot holes you could drive a Turtle Van through. (Hey, how’s that for a DVD pull quote?)
    It also doesn’t have any real characters; they’re all pretty broad, basic archetypes at best. There’s no real character development or “arc” for anyone. They try to shoehorn one in for Raphael at the end, but the only setup is a very brief scene early on where he threatens to abandon his family. Not much more comes of it, and his big “emotional breakthrough” falls totally flat. They’re trying to have a big character moment without doing the work to set it up.
    In fact, there are a number of attempts at “serious”/emotional scenes that were completely laughable. There was nothing to sell them. They weren’t earned and fell flat. The movie does almost nothing to make you care about these characters - it’s assuming you already do, and that makes it fail on the most basic story level.
    The mo-cap technology used is impressive on a technical level, but the directing make it impossible to believe they’re “real”. Part of that is because all of the shots with no humans in them (and there are a bunch) are in full CGI, and there’s no “real camera” to speak of. The way the digital camera zooms in and flies around looks incredibly fake and downright physically impossible, which makes all of those scenes feel like a cartoon or a video game. It doesn’t match up with the “real” footage at all, so it’s a really jarring, distracting fit that highlights how unreal the Turtles are. In a movie like this, it was the worst possible choice they could have made.
    The action sequences are obnoxious. In fact, the entire movie seems to be directed by a 12-year-old with ADHD. The camera is constantly swooping in and out and tilting into dutch angles and spinning around and shaking with no rhyme or reason. There’s a scene where some random schlub answering a phone gets a dramatic camera swoop. It’s insane. There are no real storytelling skills on display here; it’s just trying to be as busy as possible so you won’t notice. At times it’s downright incomprehensible.
    There’s really not that much more to say about it. It’s a bad movie. It’s pretty forgettable. You can barely even call it a movie, or a story, at all. It’s a bunch of mediocre video-game cut scenes sloppily cut together as a movie. But worst of all, it doesn’t do anything to stand out from the most generic superhero-style action movies out there. And for a TMNT movie, that’s probably the worst thing that can be said about it.
    And that’s the thing… none of my main criticisms have anything to do with the changes to the Turtles’ designs, or the changes to the backstory, or Megan Fox, or any of the other reasons that have set the fanbase on edge. It’s all to do with this being a poorly-written, poorly-made movie on its own merits. There’s nothing worthwhile about it.
  2. Aug 8, 2014
    This is a complete bastardization of a beloved childhood franchise, in fact it's Transformers 5, but instead of robots you have turtles. If you must go to a movie, see Guardians of the Galaxy instead.

If you want to see new TMNT, tune into Nickelodeon for the new cartoon. Where this movie is bland and an obvious cash grab, the new cartoon is charming with awesome nods to the series from the 80's and 90's. The only way we can stop the destruction of the things we loved from childhood is to stop funneling money into projects like this by seeing them.
  3. Aug 8, 2014
    Megan Fox is the protagonist of the TMNT movie while the turtles are mere supporting characters just like in Transformers. This was horrible. I expected the movie to be bad but not this bad. 0/10, I want my money back.

If you haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet then go and watch it now, it's a great film and not a waste of precious time and money like this TMNT abomination.
  4. Aug 8, 2014
    F@#% You Bay! Why do people still flock by the masses to the cinematic crapfest that Michael Bay is part of? Transformers 4 has just pulled in over $1 billion world wide and it's yet to open in some countries in Europe. Read a book, challenge yourself cognitively by even watching good film makers like Kubrick, Nolan and Aronofsky. The "whatever makes money" approach continues to workF@#% You Bay! Why do people still flock by the masses to the cinematic crapfest that Michael Bay is part of? Transformers 4 has just pulled in over $1 billion world wide and it's yet to open in some countries in Europe. Read a book, challenge yourself cognitively by even watching good film makers like Kubrick, Nolan and Aronofsky. The "whatever makes money" approach continues to work because people keep seeing Razzie movies, as Bay only knows how to make. Expand
  5. Aug 8, 2014
    This movie completely satisfied me and set itself up for a great sequel. It had great CGI and facial animation which made the turtles seem like actual characters. It had amazing fight scenes and actually made me say, DAMN! great new story and it made me laugh out loud several times. I can't wait for the second.
  6. Aug 12, 2014
    TMNT is the thing that was on every kid's mind around the 90's. The loving turtles were icons and role models for kids back then, even for me! This reboot manages to wipe out the charm and fun out of TMNT itself. It's another CGI animated action movie with a washed out plot and cheesy dialogues. To come to this all time low, the franchise had to suffer through a bad series of kid movies byTMNT is the thing that was on every kid's mind around the 90's. The loving turtles were icons and role models for kids back then, even for me! This reboot manages to wipe out the charm and fun out of TMNT itself. It's another CGI animated action movie with a washed out plot and cheesy dialogues. To come to this all time low, the franchise had to suffer through a bad series of kid movies by Nick and this film is also made by Nick. God. The turtles are back! Yay! Or not. Maybe. The film starts out with boring scenes between April O Neil played by Megan Fox and Vernon Ferwick played by Will Arnett. And Bernadette played by Whoppi Goldberg. Gosh, why did you do that Jonathan Libesman!? This movie was all about special affects and I have to say the avalanche seen was crazy awesome and it was the only thing that was good. By the time turtles show up it's been 30 or 20 minutes. This could have been just called April and Vernon forever in 3D. The turtles are funny, the jokes are washed out but still- TURTLES!!!! After that we meet William Fitchner who plays Eric Sachs, who nobody cares about. Seriously. Shredder shows up after 50 minutes and then everything goes boom blam and boom. For the rest of the movie. When it ended, I was glad that people don't have to watch bad jokes and mind numbing CGI for another hour. These turtles are nothing like the originals. The story is new. Everything is new. Sometimes that's not a bad thing, but now it is. I was hoping this would stay faithful to the TMNT movie. But no, it's YET ANOTHER Micheal Bay bang bang boom movie. It's bad, sloppy TMNT. I give it 1/10 because the did a good job with that avalanche scene. Everything else- 0/10. Another box office bomb. This time it landed on the turtles. Expand
  7. Aug 12, 2014
    I grew up watching TMNT and loved them. This movie did not do them any justice. First off, beginning scene's made me dizzy - the quality in which the movie was shot and audio was poorly done. Overall storyline was blah as well as the action scenes - over kill on the hill-slide scene. Turtles were just okay but my favorite was Michael. Megan Fox was just a pretty face, didn't bring anyI grew up watching TMNT and loved them. This movie did not do them any justice. First off, beginning scene's made me dizzy - the quality in which the movie was shot and audio was poorly done. Overall storyline was blah as well as the action scenes - over kill on the hill-slide scene. Turtles were just okay but my favorite was Michael. Megan Fox was just a pretty face, didn't bring any substance to her role. The anchorman side-kick was not that funny. Whoopie sure has gained weight. Overall, movie lacked that special something to capture the hearts of us fans. In my household it got 1 thumbs up from my 13 year old. Guardians of the Galaxy was WAYYYYY Better! Expand
  8. Aug 13, 2014
    me and my girlfriends and we were hoping a movie that would be a good representation for tmnt but but ended to be just a bad movie like the back story was all held in flash back or that every thing was so quickly glossed over
  9. Dec 25, 2014
    Way better then what the critics rated it as! The CGI was amazing! The best special effects I have seen to date! Story was ok as well. The movie was alright!
  10. Aug 13, 2014
    A movie only good by Michael Bay standards and pleasant only as trashy fun. Despite the enjoyable visuals and effects, likability of the characters, and fun and touching moments the film is plagued by a scattered brained plot, plot holes, underdeveloped characters and lack of loyalty to the source material.

The movie also suffers from an excessive jokieness that makes the film evoke

The movie also suffers from an excessive jokieness that makes the film evoke annoyance more than laughs and also very uneven screen writing and sloppy plot development that doesn't tie up the story nicely in the end. Overall the movie has plenty of redeeming qualities which save it from its script and poor plot and can simply be enjoyed as a stuffed action flick with enjoyable moments with a sub-par plot and screenwriting.
  11. Aug 16, 2014
    This movie is unforgettable...-y bad. Its been over 10 year since the original remake was made, so a prequel seemed fine. To sum up, it was just a huge flop and ruined TMNT completely. The only positive was the tune and theme, good, not the best. A waste of 10 years of production.
  12. Aug 14, 2014
    Nostalgia will face-off against a once obscure set of oddball rebels this week in theaters when the Michael Bay produced Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles takes on the current box-office champ Guardians of the Galaxy. Star-Lord may have conquered ticket sales and theatre seats with his unknown team of misfits, but now he is head-to-head with a very recognizable and profitable brand of heroesNostalgia will face-off against a once obscure set of oddball rebels this week in theaters when the Michael Bay produced Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles takes on the current box-office champ Guardians of the Galaxy. Star-Lord may have conquered ticket sales and theatre seats with his unknown team of misfits, but now he is head-to-head with a very recognizable and profitable brand of heroes that have found success with merchandising, previous cinematic endeavors, television shows and brand placement for years. However, don’t be quick to count Marvel out, especially when it’s film is a much more concentrated picture dedicated to story, visual effects, character development and star-making performances–all the things lacking in this newest adaptation of the Turtles.

For many people born into Generation-X, the Ninja Turtles have a special place in our hearts and memories growing up as kids. Dressing up like the turtles in our youth (or even in adulthood), always arguing which turtle was the best and declaring our favourites, the Ninja Turtles are considered a prominent part of many of our childhood’s cartoon memories. Like anything else, however, quantity may not always precede quality, even if the memories may well be better than the present. While the newest film adaptation of Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird’s beloved comic book characters get a contemporary vision, the Turtles get a good taste of twenty-first century overkill; between the unnecessary 3D format, a heavy-handed visual effects cluster that at times shreds the screen rather than gracefully transcends images, and its fair share of negative controversy over the last few years, the Ninja Turtles sure need some tough skin to come out on top in order for them to be declared a clear success story.

Between ramblings that the title of the film was going to be named only “Ninja Turtles”, to an origin story that finds itself lost in the depths of space (as do the main characters), to a returning Megan Fox, whose tarnished relationship with producer Michael Bay brought an onslaught of questions after ejecting her from his career-changing Transformers series, the newest Turtles may have been, at times, pressured to hide in their shells. Yet, with the direction of go-to Hollywood pushover Jonathan Liebesman and powerhouse producer Bay, even after criticism of the first trailer showed that the Turtles may have needed a nose job, the film entertains despite its poor constructive history. And even though our favourite four Turtles are named after artists of the Renaissance, the story could easily be one from that era as well.

I won’t lie, I was the first one in line to buy tickets to the new TMNT, but didn’t have high expectations, especially since the film was more of a punch-line than it was ever considered a serious summer contender. Despite all this, the film still brought its fair share of “woahs”, “ahhs”, and most importantly, laughs.

Light on any real narrative, the film provides a nicely put together origin story that ties the creation of our favourite band of green-superheroes with original characters in the comics, as well as new characters made directly for the screen. Taking cues from many superhero films before it, the band of brothers must join together to take down Master Shredder (Tohoru Masamune) before he consumes New York City.

Other than Bay, one of the biggest problems with the film is that it never really establishes the identity of any of the actors playing the good guys, nor does it give them any spotlight. The body actors and voice actors of many of the main characters, including the Turtles, are never given their due justice. Leonardo (played by Pete Ploszek but voiced by Jackass alum Johnny Knoxville), Michelangelo (played and voiced by Noel Fisher), Raphael (Alan Ritchson), and Donatello (Jeremy Howard), along with their noble Sensei Splinter (played by Danny Woodburn but voiced by Tony Shalhoub) seem to be mixed in a blended spectacle of martial arts effects faced only by not so funny man Will Arnett and the once iconic Megan Fox. Like any job, tasks need to be done, goals accomplished and work done properly, and Fox can rest assured that she never progresses the characters of April O’Neil, but at least she defied and got in the good books of one of the most explosive producers working. Plus, she isn’t bad to look at on screen, which will make fan-boys really happy as throughout the film, she is explicitly the butt end of all the gorgeous women jokes of the film.

At times foamy and most of the time frothy, the Turtles are given a personality change for a new generation. If you know anything about the personalities of the Turtles from the past, you can always count on Bay to offer the most stereotypical versions of cherished childhood characters.
  13. Dec 27, 2014
    Great fun! people who don't like it just don't a an imagination. the CGI is pretty good though splinter looks kinda...uh the turtles look great! funny action packed! and that song in the credits! uh SO GOOD! great family movie! COWABUNGA 80 cheese pizzas out of 100!
  14. Aug 17, 2014
    I watched the movie last night with my girlfriend and we both enjoyed it. It was really a great movie. Here's one hoping for a sequel(s).

The turtles and Splinter were cool and easily the best parts of the movie.
  15. Aug 22, 2014
    Today was the first showing of this movie for Bulgaria, and ofcourse, most of my friends went along with me to see it. I was even dressed up as Casey Jones, and my beautiful girlfriend was my lovely April O'Neil, so it became a "thing" - something to expect. The first TMNT movie in a long time. In other words - we were excited, even knowing that it won't be good. We just wanted it to beToday was the first showing of this movie for Bulgaria, and ofcourse, most of my friends went along with me to see it. I was even dressed up as Casey Jones, and my beautiful girlfriend was my lovely April O'Neil, so it became a "thing" - something to expect. The first TMNT movie in a long time. In other words - we were excited, even knowing that it won't be good. We just wanted it to be OK.
    Well, it wasn't.
    I really don't want to say this, but this movie is terrible. If you have even a little bit of logical and critical thinking, you will see that.
    Director Jonathan Liebesman, known for nothing even remotely good, did a semi-terrible job. A few scenes pop up and will be remembered for a while as exciting or cool, but nothing more. Josh Appelbaum did a particularly terrible job writing the script, it simply gave nothing for the actors to work with, it was very simple, and most jokes weren't worth more than a chuckle. A lot of people are saying the turtles ARE the turtles when they "get it on" - I strongly disagree, having read most of the original and IDW comics, and watched most of the TV series, I know how the turtles act, and this were not the turtles. The Turtles are a lot more charming than simply a nerd, a nobody, a loverboy and a grumpy guy with an attitude. Mr. Wolf said it best: the fact that you are a character does not mean you have character, and this is just the case with this rendition of our favorite heroes.
    Further more, the story is very badly paced, it was one of those movies that feels very fast and very slow all at once - there were no moments of gradual suspense, nothing of value at all. You only need to see how weak the intro is to get what I mean, and the ending is even worse (it doesn't have a finale, it just ends in a typical Michael Bay fashion). And - spoilers - about the supposed climax, though cool at times, I agree with some critics that it was too similar to the one in Amazing Spider-Man 1. Other than that, the geek in me wants to say that this movie has the same problems as the original TMNT 2, though I will not point-out which, so not to spoil.
    When it comes to acting, I can only say two things. First - William Fichtner was the only one of all the cast who was doing actual acting. Even though he was given 0 good text to work with, he had every scene he was in in complete control, as you'd expect. Everyone else was simply there, trying to do acting, rather than acting. The other thing I want to note, although it's not really acting related - the Shredder is much more cooler looking on screen. Sure, the Victorynox effects are obvious, but he is a lot less bulky and a bit more bad ass than he seems to be, so at least I'm glad about that. Oh, and Megan Fox did try though, for like 2 minutes.
    The movie sounds ok, it's the typical Michael Bay style sound work - a lot of slow-mo dubstepish sounds and a lot of metal scraping noises, and a soundtrack worth 2 hours and a synth - nothing of value. The theme song by Wiz Khalifa and his entourage of various rappers is catchy, but notably weak and stupid. Even more so than Ninja Rap, and that's a whole new level of stupid only 2014's rappers can offer.
    The post-production work was terrible - it was obvious how the movie went through a lot of stages, it was obvious how Sacks was going to be Shredder before the fan outrage, a lot of scenes have no sense what so ever, but nothing can be done about that.
    The movie is pretty damn weak. And if you can't stand stand being not-critical or logical, you are not going to like it at all. (Yeah, it is scary how this movie surpassed Guardians of the Galaxy and Planet of the Apes.)
    However, if you have kids - take 'em to see it. Kids love this movie. And ultimately... this movie, in particular, is obviously made for them. It wants to take you on a joy ride, and if you are a little kid, not knowing most of the history of TMNT (like, per say, me), you will have a blast and go want a toy afterwards. Hell, even I wanted a toy afterwards. But that's what comic book movies do to you I guess.
    The movie is not as terrible as some people point it out to be, but it is pretty weak, Kids will love it, real fans will probably hate it, but be excited by it. Either way, a sequel is already due and with Bibop and Rocksteady confirmed for it, maybe we will see something a tad more faithful, and let's hope - better.
  16. Sep 18, 2014
    Have you ever been dragged to a movie thinking you'll hate it, and then it turns out to be okay... or even great? I have a few times, though usually films are pretty much what you expect.

Then there's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I went in thinking I'd hate it, and what I got was about ten times worse than that. Unspeakably bad script. Amazingly bad acting. Horrible direction.

Then there's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Unspeakably bad script. Amazingly bad acting. Horrible direction. Creepy CGI that starts out in the uncanny valley and never moves. And that's before you even touch on the sheer defilement of the TMNT franchise. Seriously, this is possibly the worst A-list movie I've ever seen.

The only reason I'm giving this movie 0 out of 10 is because I can't go any lower.
  17. Nov 2, 2014
    TMNT was a movie that gave you what you want, if you wanted superpowers, action, unbelievable special effects and entertainment.

I recommend this movie to the ages of 7 and up. The acting was not all that great but the laughs made up for it. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the movie I thought it was not worth watching it in 3D as there was only a few well done 3D scenes. I highly

I highly rate this movie due to the fact that the special effects were amazing and it was a great thrill ride!
  18. Dec 29, 2014
    this is the same thing with annie, a movie i've never seen. this movie is like godzilla it manages to give a good example on how to amaze me. in fact i've never seen what's the problem with megan fox anyway. she wasn't bad in this movie. it's my opinion. the turtles actors did great on those actions scenes and funny ones too. (especailly mikey). it's probally gonna be a guity pleasure.
  19. Apr 18, 2015
    Very crappy. The original one and the secret of ooze are both WAY better. This remake has bad storylines, action, etc. The characters are okay. This has to be the worst TMNT movie. Go watch something good like the two other TMNT, and Dumb&Dumber instead of this poop. Still not as terrible as the 2 of Justin Bieber's crappy films though...
  20. Apr 12, 2015
    *sigh* Michael Bay a bad filmmaker. He already ruined my childhood with the Transformers movies, so when I heard he was producing a Ninja Turtles reboot, I was ENRAGED!!! Then I went to see the film I knew was gonna be terrible and honestly, it was ok. I still hate the Turtles designs, but that's just a minor problem. What I disliked the most about the film was that it was basically the*sigh* Michael Bay a bad filmmaker. He already ruined my childhood with the Transformers movies, so when I heard he was producing a Ninja Turtles reboot, I was ENRAGED!!! Then I went to see the film I knew was gonna be terrible and honestly, it was ok. I still hate the Turtles designs, but that's just a minor problem. What I disliked the most about the film was that it was basically the April O'Neil show!!! I really am getting tired of Megan Fox staring in Bays movies. Heck, we don't see the Turtles until like 10-20 minutes into the movie!!! Also, the Shredder is really underdeveloped. All we focus on is Erick Sacks. But from all my hate, I don't completely hate this movie. The voice acting is decent and the fight sequences are awesome. Although that doesn't mean the movie is great in any way. Not as terrible as I thought it would be, but not a masterpiece. 4/10. Expand
  21. Aug 12, 2014
    This is a frenzied, confused mess that starts with the emergence of the titular turtles (couldn't resist) as they rise out of the gutters to save NYC from Shredder and his Foot Clan. Their human allies are Megan Fox and Will Arnett. It goes without saying that the plotting is plodding. The story gets off to a slow start, but once it gets rolling, there's plenty of action…most of itsThis is a frenzied, confused mess that starts with the emergence of the titular turtles (couldn't resist) as they rise out of the gutters to save NYC from Shredder and his Foot Clan. Their human allies are Megan Fox and Will Arnett. It goes without saying that the plotting is plodding. The story gets off to a slow start, but once it gets rolling, there's plenty of action…most of its jumbled and unimaginative. Arnett has a few funny moments, but the Turtles' wise cracks fall flat. Kids might enjoy it (although they'll be frustrated by the subtitles), but grownups looking to re-live their childhood fascination will find themselves yearning for their younger days (and their money back). Expand
  22. Aug 10, 2014
    I had very low expectations going into the film and didnt expect much. I was very reluctant to see this film, but I did anyways. By the end, my low expectations were met. Several things the film did well was give the turtles some character & humor: something that I wasnt expecting from a Michael Bay produced film. The Turtle's acting was pretty good as well, but the human actors were bad,I had very low expectations going into the film and didnt expect much. I was very reluctant to see this film, but I did anyways. By the end, my low expectations were met. Several things the film did well was give the turtles some character & humor: something that I wasnt expecting from a Michael Bay produced film. The Turtle's acting was pretty good as well, but the human actors were bad, especially Megan Fox. Also, the film's plot was awful and action sequences were a huge letdown. Overall, wasnt expecting much from the film, and I didnt get much from a bad film like this. Expand
  23. Aug 13, 2014
    This wasn't as bad of a movie as I was expecting. The new look of the Turtles didn't bother me as much as it did for other people. The biggest problem I had was two-fold. With the inconsistency of the tone and with Megan Fox.
    The tone of the movie stands out at first. It can't figure out if it wants to be a kids movie or something more adult-oriented. That's not to take away from the job that the guys who played the Turtles did. I think they did really well conveying each of their individual personalities and they each got around the same amount of screen time. The tone is so inconsistent though that one moment you're making a fart joke for the kids and the next you have someone get brutally killed. It happens so much throughout the entire movie you have to wonder why they thought this was a good idea.
    The other problem, actually main problem, is Megan Fox. She is SO TERRIBLE in this movie it made me cringe to watch her in some scenes. She's just a horrible actress in general and she needs to stop ruining otherwise decent movies with her horrible acting skills she displays. What makes it even worse is the fact that she's pretty much the main character for 80% of the movie. It should have been called "Megan Fox! with 4 large turtle guys or something" because they focus WAY too much on her throughout the entire movie. If it had been someone playing April here, I think my score would be about 5 points higher. Instead you're forced to watch her stumble over lines all the time with a look between constipation and just general confusion on her face all the time.
    This movie could have been so much more than it was but it just comes off as a cash grab in the end. It's clear they didn't respect the source material and the fact that they could never figure out what they quite wanted to do with the movie hampers the fact that the Turtles themselves were pretty neat and with a pretty good final boss fight at the end of the movie. But even Megan Fox has to ruin something cool like that too. Don't go see this movie in theaters. Wait a couple years till they bring it to Nick and watch it then cause even diehard turtles fans like myself will see this movie for what it really is: a terrible joke.
  24. Aug 11, 2014
    Incredibly boring, poorly acted, profusely tedious and graciously idiotic, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is just as bad, if not worse, than its title let's on.
  25. Aug 10, 2014
    This film could be good for one watching. But stupid characters, the freaking transformer named Shredder and leadership of effects make this film a stupid parody on Ninja Turtles.
  26. Aug 9, 2014
    Terrible film. The visual effects are ineffective, the humor is lifeless and/or too juvenile, and there is way too much of the sickeningly untalented Megan Fox. Whether you're a fan of the original comics, the original TV show, the original live action films, the 2003 TV show, or the current Nickelodeon comics - this film sets the bar way too low and you should stick to all the other farTerrible film. The visual effects are ineffective, the humor is lifeless and/or too juvenile, and there is way too much of the sickeningly untalented Megan Fox. Whether you're a fan of the original comics, the original TV show, the original live action films, the 2003 TV show, or the current Nickelodeon comics - this film sets the bar way too low and you should stick to all the other far superior TMNT material that is out there. Expand
  27. Aug 8, 2014
    The cgi of Splinter, in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 just horrible and the movie if they had another actress not Megan Fox, i think the movie good be a little better, and this movie is better than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3
  28. Aug 18, 2014
    I really wanted this movie to be good but it stinks it went from a fart to a shart the kind that leaves you feeling dirty and filled with self loathing for days to come. The terrible acting by Megan Fox combined with the almost rapey Michelangelo, awful character design and writing made me barely able to sit through the 1st 30 min. of this turd I have never walked out of a movie but thisI really wanted this movie to be good but it stinks it went from a fart to a shart the kind that leaves you feeling dirty and filled with self loathing for days to come. The terrible acting by Megan Fox combined with the almost rapey Michelangelo, awful character design and writing made me barely able to sit through the 1st 30 min. of this turd I have never walked out of a movie but this left me wishing I had. Expand
  29. Aug 9, 2014
    Everything gets updated for 2014. No bloody escape. I actually thought the movie was OK. But these are not your turtles growing up. You know why people here saying on how the turtles acted? Cause they acted if the sewer they lived in was under Harlem. PC my ass if you get offended. Thing is how they acted is not how the turtles everyone knows have acted. Tho they do throw in at the endEverything gets updated for 2014. No bloody escape. I actually thought the movie was OK. But these are not your turtles growing up. You know why people here saying on how the turtles acted? Cause they acted if the sewer they lived in was under Harlem. PC my ass if you get offended. Thing is how they acted is not how the turtles everyone knows have acted. Tho they do throw in at the end "Cowabanga" which lacked any reason to have been said at that point and would have served more earlier. and yeah everyone is right. The turtles look like ****

nick updated TMNT. But at least they got the turtles right.
  30. Aug 8, 2014
    Positives: The wife laughed everytime megan fox was loudly breathing on camera(pretty much every scene she's in). Seriously, does she have strong acute asthma or something?

Negatives: Pretty much everything else about the movie.
  31. Aug 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's like checking out an unfamiliar porn site you haven't visited in a while, and they cum fast and hard. It's next level sh*t. I am not ready for this, I will stick to humans doing there business in a better form before I degrade myself anymore. Expand
  32. Aug 13, 2014
    I was so F@kin dizzy and i vomit watching, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 , the acton scene is fast and slow all the f@kin time, it looks like it was Michael Bay the director. the movie is so boring and the Ninja Turtles are not funny.
  33. Aug 10, 2014
    it look's like the director of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) , is Michael Bay and not Jonathan Liebsman, because the way the camera moves in this movie.
  34. Aug 8, 2014
    I went into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with some trepidation and I have to say the movie is better then I thought it would be. That's not to say I loved the film, but I didn't outright hate it either. I actually like the way the turtles acted and there were some good scenes. The thing that needs to be understood about this movie is that it is clearly written for a younger audience.I went into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with some trepidation and I have to say the movie is better then I thought it would be. That's not to say I loved the film, but I didn't outright hate it either. I actually like the way the turtles acted and there were some good scenes. The thing that needs to be understood about this movie is that it is clearly written for a younger audience. This means the story is oversimplified at some points and that leads to some very obvious plot holes. In the end, I just felt that the movie was ok. It's not the worst TMNT project out there, but it's not really high on the list. If you have young kids, they will probably like this movie. If you're an adult, you may just want to rent this instead. Expand
  35. Aug 10, 2014
    If you think this movie is good, you're one of two things: a TMNT fanboy or an idiot. This film is so boring and lazily written, and takes probably 45 minutes until we formally meet the Turtles. Want an example of how lazy it is? The film says it takes place on the first day of Spring, yet Megan Fox takes a 20 minute drive from NYC and suddenly is in a snow blanketed resort. Its justIf you think this movie is good, you're one of two things: a TMNT fanboy or an idiot. This film is so boring and lazily written, and takes probably 45 minutes until we formally meet the Turtles. Want an example of how lazy it is? The film says it takes place on the first day of Spring, yet Megan Fox takes a 20 minute drive from NYC and suddenly is in a snow blanketed resort. Its just another Michael Bay film, which is all the review I should need to say. Expand
  36. Aug 10, 2014
    Lol that 2007 movie ain't looking too bad now is it, haters!
    I mean...WOW! Talk about taking my childhood and screwing it up for a paycheck. The only good-ish thing about this was the snow mountain scene.
  37. Aug 8, 2014
    Adding insult to injury, what Michael Bay did just ruined not only my childhood memories watching 3 fantastic 90's TMNT movies, but a complete mess. 100% dull and 100% more action = less use of a movie ticket. I really don't watch the newer version of the rebooted cartoon on Nickelodeon (now that I stopped watching this horrid rip-off of the always enjoyable 80's cartoon that theme songAdding insult to injury, what Michael Bay did just ruined not only my childhood memories watching 3 fantastic 90's TMNT movies, but a complete mess. 100% dull and 100% more action = less use of a movie ticket. I really don't watch the newer version of the rebooted cartoon on Nickelodeon (now that I stopped watching this horrid rip-off of the always enjoyable 80's cartoon that theme song get stuck to my head) and I haven't bought Turtles in Time for the SNES way back. Those were the good ol days when the Turtles were awesome these days. But in 2014, things have changed and I know this is the 2nd reboot in the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" film saga, but why in the hell would you rather give this reboot a PG-13 rated movie? In fact, how come you make an iconic franchise after 21 years of live-action fun and now dragging it through the ground? Easy, you take your trusty ex-girlfriend Megan Fox as April O'Neil, a terrible script, an unnecessary rap song about "Shell Shocked" that is deemed inappropriate for children and making fun out of Vanilla Ice's "Ninja Rap" classic, Johnny Knoxville's awful voice acting as Leonardo, so does the actor from Monk, and Pizza Hut. Can this thing ever get worse? Oh, and their new CGI look is f***ing terrible. If there's one thing is the absolute worst reboot movie of the year and no I don't wanna mention Transformers: Age of Extinction is this heroes in a crapshell mess. Take your $5 Pizza Hut box and shove it. Expand
  38. Aug 11, 2014
    Annnnd cue the negative feedback from everyone.

Except yours truly. I want to get past the big elephant in the room of, dun dun dun... the Turtles look a little ridiculous and Megan Fox should jump off a high building. Head first. Other than that, I thought the film was rather well done. I WANT to see the TMNT franchise grow and become it's own. I DON"T want to see TMNT continue to
    Annnnd cue the negative feedback from everyone.

Other than that, I thought the film was rather well done. I WANT to see the TMNT franchise grow and become it's own. I DON"T want to see TMNT continue to be done as a cartoon. Adding this CGI, explosions, fight scenes, and dramatics was great.
    I honestly enjoyed almost every single moment of the movie.
    There was some wit, action, adventure, and humor. Perfect mix for me.
    I was satisfied leaving the theater.
  39. Aug 8, 2014
    Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (2014) and, Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) the best movies of this summer, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) worst movie of the year with Tammy and, A Million Ways to Die in the West.
  40. Aug 9, 2014
    I was near to vomit when i seen this movie, wow how many cgi has this movie and the costumes looked just like the Dinosaurs from the TV show The Dinosaurs, This movie is garbage.
  41. Aug 11, 2014
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reminds me of my latest crap. Just because something is nostalgic does NOT make it good. It is the what you see that counts. And when it comes to that, this movie fails...hard.
  42. Aug 8, 2014
    It is clear to me that Anything Michael Bay touches has a target audience of children with autism. The movie is over the top stupid.out of the 6 TMNT movies that have been released (including the direct to video one) this one comes in 10th.

CONS: Megan Fox can act her way out of a TMNT lunch box. William Fichtner is clearly phoning it in and his character is complete unbelievable.

CONS:
    Megan Fox can act her way out of a TMNT lunch box.
    Johnny Knoxville does an awful job voicing Leo.
    The explosions look more like fireworks than explosions.

Overall very disappointing.
  43. Aug 10, 2014
    This "movie" is a mash of scenes strung together into an incoherent mess. Nothing, and I mean nothing makes sense in this movie. Shredder has absolutely no reason to hate the turtles, seriously. The plot revolves around him and a scientist (Eric Sach's) wanting to poison the city, and make money off the cure. The cure is the Turtles blood. So essentially, there's really no need for anyThis "movie" is a mash of scenes strung together into an incoherent mess. Nothing, and I mean nothing makes sense in this movie. Shredder has absolutely no reason to hate the turtles, seriously. The plot revolves around him and a scientist (Eric Sach's) wanting to poison the city, and make money off the cure. The cure is the Turtles blood. So essentially, there's really no need for any real hate towards the turtles and their rat father, they're just ingredients to a financial gain. Sounds exciting right? (The answer is no).

Meaghan Fox's acting range is limited to three key moves 1) Out of breath (seriously, there is like 5 scenes where she's explaining things out of breath, but she wasn't running or anything) 2) Sexy (yup, you're hot, good job) 3) Shock (she seems to use this when 1 and 2 don't fit the part). The movie revolves around her too. Her co-star Will Arnett (who I usually like) delivers lines that are so bad he can't even save them with his patented over the top delivery. Are we even watching a TMNT movie?

They could remove Ninja from the title and it would make more sense, these hulking monsters overpower every enemy (except robo-Shredder) with their strength, no exciting fight scenes, just a lot of bullets, and people thrown.

Splinter acts Asian, but why, he's an American lab rat who discovered a martial arts training manual in a sewer. This is like taking karate lessons, and all of a sudden growing a Fu Man Chu, because you know Karate.

There's a total of 4 fight scenes in the movie, all of which are in darkness, and show quick glimpses of the turtles foes getting thrown around like rag dolls.

Save your money, or if you're looking for a good summer flick go see Guardians of the Galaxy.
  44. Aug 9, 2014
    Bad movie but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014, is a little better than Transformers: Age of Extinction 2014, and why the done this movie with cgi ? , there are actors who can do martial arts.
  45. Aug 10, 2014
    Did people expect an Oscar caliber film or something? If you are looking for a fun reinterpretation of the TMNT franchise, then this is a film that you should watch. Sure the Turtles redesigns were a bit strange at first, but they retained their personalities, albeit brought to the 21st century. Not as bad as people thought it would be.
  46. Aug 17, 2014
    The movie is great!Everyone says that the Turtles are ugly and they don't look like the original Turtles.But,Kevin Eastman made this Redesign,and Eastman is the co-creator of the Turtles!
    The CGI is perfect,the Action Scenes were awesome,my favorite was the Snow Chase one.
    Shredder looks PERFECT to an actual Shredder,he almost killed all the turtles in the middle of the movie and almost killed the turtles again in the Final Battle.
    Everyone says that Megan Fox was awful as April O'Neil,but she wasn't so bad.She could be a little better,but she was very good.
    The only thing that I didn't liked was that,in the first 20 minutes of the movie,you just have some Action Scenes,and little ones.And when you blink,you already see the Turtles fightning the Foot Clan,Shredder,Protecting April and Splinter,and trying to save the city.
    The new story for the turtles is actually very good,at least they're not Aliens.
    I recommend this movie to every Ninja Turtles' fan,it's excellent,but not better than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from 1990.
  47. Aug 17, 2014
    Was pleasantly surprised with this one. Wasn't a huge tnmt watcher as I was a little too old so with that said I definitely recommend this to anyone wanted a good action flick with some good humor. Hope a sequel is right around the corner.
  48. Aug 9, 2014
    This isn't TMNT. This is Transformers. Not first, not second. Its like third. And nothing else. ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  49. Aug 9, 2014
    Much better than expected. Although the plot was fairly cookie cutter. Predictable action movie by the numbers. They nailed the Turtles personalities though. Nostalgia definitely played a part, but I enjoyed it.
  50. Aug 9, 2014
    I watched the new Ninja Turtles movie so that you don't have to. In the animated series, Splinter is a really cool character. He used to be Hamato Yoshi, he was a martial arts master, and was betrayed by Shredder. In this new one, he's just a lab rat who found a Karate book in a storm drain. There are no characters in this movie, so I didn't care what happened to any of them. The turtlesI watched the new Ninja Turtles movie so that you don't have to. In the animated series, Splinter is a really cool character. He used to be Hamato Yoshi, he was a martial arts master, and was betrayed by Shredder. In this new one, he's just a lab rat who found a Karate book in a storm drain. There are no characters in this movie, so I didn't care what happened to any of them. The turtles aren't introduced until a 3rd of the way into the film. That strategy worked brilliantly in Godzilla because he's a monster. Here it doesn't work because they should be the heroes of the film. And here it doesn't even matter that they know ninjutsu because they're all giant, bullet proof, hulking monsters. Will Arnett's character, Michelangelo, and one scene in an elevator are funny; the rest of this movie is way too serious. And the whole time the music score tells you bombastically that everything you are seeing is just as amazing as a transformer. Go see Guardians of the Galaxy. It actually has characters, and wit, and charm. I'm not super surprised. I wasn't sure what to expect. I was hoping to enjoy it. I wasn't expecting high art, but I was disappointed that it was wasn't even as good as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993). Expand
  51. Aug 8, 2014
    The Turtles themselves are pretty entertaining, everything else is a complete dud. This has Michael Bay written all over it from the slow motion to the terrible shaky cam to a weak script. C-
  52. Aug 9, 2014
    I went into this movie expecting the absolute worst out of it. But wouldn't you know it? I was absolutely wrong! I expected the worst, but I also decided to give the movie a fair chance, and I wasn't sorry I did. All of the people out there crying about how the turtles look and just because Megan Fox and her terrible acting are in the movie, you're missing out. Megan Fox's terribleI went into this movie expecting the absolute worst out of it. But wouldn't you know it? I was absolutely wrong! I expected the worst, but I also decided to give the movie a fair chance, and I wasn't sorry I did. All of the people out there crying about how the turtles look and just because Megan Fox and her terrible acting are in the movie, you're missing out. Megan Fox's terrible acting didn't ruin the movie, in fact in spite of her I really enjoyed it, aside from the horrible back story about Splinter and the Turtles being April's pets.

I highly recommend to people to give the movie a fair chance before they just flat out disregard the movie. The movie had a lot of funny moments, most of which were Mikey related. Is this a perfect movie? Not by a long shot, but it is enjoyable if you give it a chance. If this movie hadn't be produced by Michael Bay and some unknown director I never heard of, it could have been a lot better, especially if they had stuck to the comic book origin story. My advice is, go into this movie giving it a fair chance, it might just surprise you.
  53. Aug 9, 2014
    An exceptional movie that does the Turtles justice. I'm an OG TMNT fan, having owned the comic books, NES games and watched the cartoons. I loved this movie! I was young when I first saw the original movies in the theatres and now I'm a dusty old 31 year old who had incredible doubts about what this movie could offer. I was awestruck by the display; the boys maintained distinct andAn exceptional movie that does the Turtles justice. I'm an OG TMNT fan, having owned the comic books, NES games and watched the cartoons. I loved this movie! I was young when I first saw the original movies in the theatres and now I'm a dusty old 31 year old who had incredible doubts about what this movie could offer. I was awestruck by the display; the boys maintained distinct and loveable personalities and April was finally as she SHOULD be, hot and brunette. Do not be swayed by the naysayers who weren't there from the beginning. I want more and you will, too. Funny, filled with well-executed action and dialogue, Turtles does not disappoint.

54. Aug 9, 2014
    This is a fly-by-the-seat of your pants movie that has clever references for nostalgic fans like myself. While by no means a ground-breaking movie, it doesn't have to be. It is as good as the second TMNT, maybe a little better.
  55. Aug 9, 2014
    Its not the movie we all wanted but things could have been a lot worse. The fight scenes with Splinter, the turtles, and Shredder are done really well and the turtles themselves look really cool. The biggest problem with the movie is the foot clan. They just aren't presented very well and their overall goal isn't anything that we haven't already seen in a dozen of other films. Also, IIts not the movie we all wanted but things could have been a lot worse. The fight scenes with Splinter, the turtles, and Shredder are done really well and the turtles themselves look really cool. The biggest problem with the movie is the foot clan. They just aren't presented very well and their overall goal isn't anything that we haven't already seen in a dozen of other films. Also, I didn't like the way that they explained how Splinter and the turtles learned their skills. Its obvious they were catering to the fans of Nickelodeon's cartoon and not to those of us that prefer the comics. Hopefully a great Ninja Turtle movie will come out one day, but for now this isn't the worst thing ever. Expand
  56. Aug 11, 2014
    When you walk into a theater to see a TMNT movie, you need to know 2 things. 1. Story in TMNT movies are not expressed as much as comics, TV shows, etc. 2. The TMNT movie franchise and shows are built for the younger audiences. With that being said, TMNT 2014 is a great movie that allows anyone (even non-turtle fans) to dive right in and watch without needing to know any former lore.
    The
    The CGI used in this movie is one of the best I have ever see with the turtle's animations being so life-like and smooth as other iteration. The movie has some nice, funny dialogue in it and the turtle's themselves have a nice appearance that does not make the audience feel outdated by the previous TMNT appearance being used for almost 30 years. Each turtle in the movie has a very different personality, and the enemy, Shredder, shows a cool, but weak, threat in the film. Overall, this movie is a fun to watch film that finally allows many people to see a modern life-like TMNT movie once again. 9/10.
  57. Aug 10, 2014
    Went to this movie with very low expectations because of all the bad reviews, what a great surprise this movie was. One of the best movies of this summer, way better than Guardians of the Galaxy. Never a dull moment, lots of laughs and I was not the only one in the theater who loved this movie. The lady next to me was laughing too.
  58. Aug 8, 2014
    It was an amazing Movie! I enjoyed every second of it! it also was much better than I thought it would be, there were mind-blowing action scenes, it also was pretty funny, there were tons of jokes and I liked it, Shredder was Badass, the fight scene between Splinter and Shredder was brilliant, Turtles looked great, I like the new look, Megan Fox Also did a great job on this, main plot wasIt was an amazing Movie! I enjoyed every second of it! it also was much better than I thought it would be, there were mind-blowing action scenes, it also was pretty funny, there were tons of jokes and I liked it, Shredder was Badass, the fight scene between Splinter and Shredder was brilliant, Turtles looked great, I like the new look, Megan Fox Also did a great job on this, main plot was pretty stupid but who cares... it's a movie for kids, Fight scenes were amazing, One of the best Michael Bey Movies! Expand
  59. Aug 11, 2014
    Seams like way to many people are taking a kids action franchise way to seriously. To many people are unwilling to accept change because they want to relive their childhood. that's why they are rating this film so poorly. Also people are stuck on Bay being involved. For these people I ask them to get over it. we are 30 years past the origins of the original TNMT which I grew up on. ISeams like way to many people are taking a kids action franchise way to seriously. To many people are unwilling to accept change because they want to relive their childhood. that's why they are rating this film so poorly. Also people are stuck on Bay being involved. For these people I ask them to get over it. we are 30 years past the origins of the original TNMT which I grew up on. I watched the cartoons of the 80's , the movies in the 90's and I had action figures as a kid, so I am quite familiar with franchise. However I realize that most things change to keep up with the change in culture. And several things have changed about the TMNT franchise in that time ie. the foot sliiders originally were robots but in the 90's movies they were misfit kids. The 2014 remake of TMNT was very good because more then anything it was entertaining! and that's what I go to see movies like ninja turtles for... to be entertained for several hours. there was plenty of action which was innocent enough for kids to watch (remember this is a movie based on kids cartoon), but violent enough to keep adults interested (the scene with shredder and splinter is classic). Also provided laughs and humor the entire family could enjoy. There is a lot of criticism being made of the turtles new appearance but in actuality this more disfigured and massive appearance is more of what you would expect from something that was mutated from a radioactive experimental substance (sorry my fellow old timers) I also actually enjoyed/ thought the creation and backstory of the turtles was better and more realistic then from the original cartoons and movies (big fan of both). At the end of the movie the entire theater clapped and kids were having a blast. My eight year old who just finished watching Guardians of the galaxy (which he loved by the way) said he liked TMNT better. And my wife whom I have to drag to the movies said she enjoyed it a lot. So if your looking for a great time with the family and want to feel like you were on a ride at universal studios this is a movie you should go and see.
    There are several things about the movie that did throw me off (but again it is a movie that is made for the family to have fun and not trying to appease the 30 and 40 year olds who want a replica of their childhood.). that being said the story does tend to focus more on April rather then the turtles. Also the foot clan don't have any martial arts background which was a little disappointing. But I am hopeful that the sequel will incorporate more of these aspects. trust me the changes in this movie do nothing to diminish the things us old timers liked about the Teenage mutant ninja turtles.
  60. Aug 11, 2014
    Let me first start by saying that I have been a fan of TMNT since the comic book, well before it was ever adapted to become the cartoon that most are familiar with and much before the first attempt at adapting TMNT into a movie.

I was entertained by the new adaptation. What I really liked about this movie is that it held much closer to the original comic book than did the first movie

I was entertained by the new adaptation.

What I really liked about this movie is that it held much closer to the original comic book than did the first movie adaptation (which I thought was horrible). It was dark just like the comic book. It had humor sprinkled through it, just like the comic book. I also loved the fact, as with the new cartoon, that Splinter is a bad dude instead of a weak and feeble old man like in the first movie. I mean the guy is a ninjitsu master sensei, they are typically pretty bad dudes right. I thought using CGI is a much better way to represent comic book drawings than the corny costumes they used in 1990 film. At first I thought the turtles looked a little silly but they grew on me thorough the film and I was quite pleased by the end.

What I didn't like about the movie was that the acting was sub-par. I realize the intent was never to have great acting when Megan Fox was cast as the lead. The story wasn't very captivating and deep so I wasn't glued to the screen like I would be in an amazing story. I thought that too much of the story was focused around April O'neil's character rather than the boys like it should have been.

This movie was for kids and now being a father and taking my son to these movies, I use a different barometer to rate kids movies and that is how much my son enjoys it. In his eyes, it didn't disappoint. He was quite captivated and he love the film...so I did too.

The new Turtles film is filled with great action scenes and CGI effects and is an entertaining summer blockbuster film but it does lack depth, character development and great acting, however, it is an entertaining film fit for young children. And as a long time fan of the franchise (30 years now), I am pleased with the result and am looking forward to the next one.
  61. Aug 10, 2014
    I am not a huge Megan Fox fan, so I thought she got way to much screen time. However, I through the turtles were awesome in the movie, and I expected the movie to be a lot worse then it was. There are lots of nods to the old cartoon. I don't regret going to it, and I will go to the sequel.
  62. Aug 10, 2014
    TMNT 2014
    -Nerd Ranger White
    Ok Im just going to flat out say it. This movie was fun! Yes it was fun and it looked nice and I feel like people should go see it with that state of mind. I.e. Mutant Turtles fighting a modern day samurai. With that being said do I think it is a horrible movie? Hell no...but do I think it is up to snuff with other comic movies? Eh. While it does a good
    TMNT 2014
    -Nerd Ranger White

With that being said do I think it is a horrible movie? Hell no...but do I think it is up to snuff with other comic movies? Eh. While it does a good job at showing you each of the characters some problems still hold this movie back from being Avengers status.

While the cast and characters are pretty interesting its all very very samey. Generic shadowy villain, working with generic rich white guy in suite who wants more money by causing genocide. Though I do enjoy shredder finally being able to kick some ass on screen I wish his character was shown more than the white guy in suite villain. As for the rest of the cast they did what they are paid to do. Megan fox as April was a decent job and she seems to at-least but effort into this role instead of being eye candy in the previous films. Shes fun an funny at times and doesn't seem to go too far overboard with her role as lead female. Will arnett did a good job at being the older hopeless romantic mixed in with all the turtle nonsense.

The turtles them selves are fun and funny and are pretty much what you would expect. Leo and Raph arguing over leadership. Donnie being smart and Mikey being well Mikey. With splinter also being more bad-ass thanks to modern day films. From the comic and new 3d cartoon stand point this already happens. On the big screen seeing him kick ass for a moment was much needed after all these years.

The movie itself has some very nice set peices with the mountain scene being the highlight, and the final battle with shredder was enjoyable but could have been more. The comedy was endless even though at times I wish it was a bit more serious but for a family film I chose not to complain.

So overall this movie doesn't break any boundaries nor does it flop like much of the nostalgic tv viewing fans expected it to. It does its job at introducing the turtles to the new generation and also little nods to the older and oldest generation of turtles fans. In the theaters I sat next to a woman and child who gasped! and laughed throughout the entire film. Without moaning or groaning about it being very typical to comic movie intro standards.

And yes spoiler alert they do not kill shredder or anyone in the main villain department.

So for families looking to watch something simple I highly recommend Ninja Turtles because its simple and fun to watch. As for fans of the originals whether its any of the old movies, tv show, or comics sit down and shut up and either see it and be ok with whats new or don't see it and move on. The movie does its job and isnt as bad as most expected it to be.

Fun simple and easy to follow is what I would say this movie is. Its not amazing but it is something that's worth a watch in theaters or rental for skeptics.
  63. Aug 11, 2014
    I thought this movie was going to be a steaming pile of sh%t. Yet another old kid’s property about to be ruined by Michael Bay? Without seeing it, I secretly hoped it would flop, just so I could have a personal victory against Michael Bay for making Transformers 4. I was so disappointed with Transformers 4: Age of Extinction--I had had enough afterwards from the series. The trailers got myI thought this movie was going to be a steaming pile of sh%t. Yet another old kid’s property about to be ruined by Michael Bay? Without seeing it, I secretly hoped it would flop, just so I could have a personal victory against Michael Bay for making Transformers 4. I was so disappointed with Transformers 4: Age of Extinction--I had had enough afterwards from the series. The trailers got my hopes up for an entertaining-but-brainless film. Yet I was so wrong to let him fool me. And to think it made more than a billion dollars, when MUCH better films made less. With TMNT, the original trailers looked good, but the more recent TV spots had IMO stupid and kid-oriented humor. Because of so many negative reviews, I really thought this film was going to be very disappointing.

I wonder if people are really blinded by hating Bay (honestly, I don't blame them that much). I enjoyed the first three Transformers films the first time I viewed them (I was younger, P.S); but in subsequent viewings I found more and more flaws. So, to sum it up---I’m not a Bay fanboy or a hater, but I have lost faith in any future films he directs. (I also happened to like one of the animated series about TMNT that aired on TV.) However, Bay produced (he didn’t direct) TMNT. But it’s kinda funny his name is in the promo materials, and not the director’s name, Jonathan Liebesman. To all those people urging moviegoers to see Guardians of the Galaxy, I must mention that I did watch GOTG as well. It was the 3rd best Disney MCU Marvel film for me, only behind Captain America 2 and Iron Man.

I’ve been off topic so far, so I’ll get to the point. Megan Fox? I honestly think she didn’t act nearly as bad as in some of her other performances (though she probably could benefit from some more varied facial expressions!). I think she’s not the best choice for April O’Neil, but Megan Fox could’ve been a lot worse. Fox is pretty much the protagonist of this film; which probably isn’t a good thing. Not because she acted poorly, but because the movie is called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! There wasn’t as much focus on the Turtles as they should’ve been. The four Turtles don’t have much character development. They’re all something similar to basic stereotypes/archetypes. Raphael gets slightly more development than the rest of the turtles, simply because of a few lines at the end. Michelangelo is the funniest. I’d say Leonardo had the least development. Will Arnett as Vernon Fenwick is the second comic relief character, after Michelangelo. But why do they need Vernon as another silly comic-relief guy? They already have Michelangelo. So why is he in the film?. Splinter seems too harsh to the Turtles IMO. And he doesn’t seem very wise and intelligent to me. He’s just a mutated rat who learned martial arts from some book in the sewers. Really? I think that’s stretching it a bit, even in a movie about 6-foot-tall teenage mutant ninja turtles. Eric Sacks’ (whose name bears a suspicious resemblance to Oroku Saki) motivation for his evil plan is kind of a weak one—release a deadly virus, conveniently have a cure, make tons of money of it. Really? He’s already rich. He was obviously supposed to be Shredder, but I assume some last minute change stripped Eric of any real depth. Shredder is something of a weak villain as well—we never see his face. He is constantly in that robotic armored suit of his. His suit is probably too much of a deviation from the source material for many hardcore fans. And exactly why does he want to take over New York again? I honestly can’t remember. Whoever is Shredder under the suit, he certainly wasn’t originally a character to be featured in the film. Because of fan backlash, I believe he was added. Dr. Baxter Stockman is just there. Just there.

The CGI close up still looks slightly strange, but I guess we’ll have to get used to it. (A TMNT sequel is scheduled to release in 2016.) At one point, the film’s name was going to be just “Ninja Turtles”. Really? As if the original titles wasn’t self-explanatory. They really needed to come up with a simpler name? Why not just call them "Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapins”? It’s basically the thing.

Anyway, I liked one of the TMNT cartoons when I was a kid. (I even had a jacket with them on it!) But that doesn’t really qualify me as a fanboy. As I said before, I’m not a Michael Bay hater or fanboy. My opinion? Despite some underdeveloped characters and some plotlines and plot elements directly ripped off from The Amazing Spider-Man, I think TMNT is still an enjoyable movie. It was fun and entertained me for an hour and a half. And that’s honestly all that matters.

If you liked this review, I have also reviewed the 2014 films Guardians of the Galaxy, Sharknado 2, Dawn of the Planets of the Apes, Transformers 4, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Edge of Tommorow, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Transcendence, Blended, The Lego Movie, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, and more!
  64. Aug 9, 2014
    This movie wasnt very bad for me, just a really fun popcorn flick. Megan Fox was probably the biggest detractor and even then she didnt ruin the entire movie.

The turtles were done really well, I was expecting them to be much bigger and thankfully they werent. Anyway, I'm glad I went to see this movie despite all the negativity surrounding it.
  65. Aug 9, 2014
    I just saw the film in theaters (standard). To sum it up, I had fun with it. It's not necessarily kid-friendly though as there were a decent amount of adult jokes thus making me feel this film contrary to what others say, is geared towards older tmnt fans who are more adults rather than younger ones today who would be kids.

I'll say this straight up though, I came into viewing this

I'll say this straight up though, I came into viewing this film as a summer blockbuster ie fun and action oriented rather than awesome story-telling, so I am reviewing this as such.

I think they did a good job of bringing the turtles to the modern age ie updating them while keeping the spirit of the turtle's family concept alive.

I'm not exactly sure why people were complaining about the cgi. It simply worked. In all honesty the only CGI character that seemed a little out of place was Splinter, but not enough to warrant any sort of raging over. A lot of the character movements were crisp and I would think that has to do with the fact that they went mocap instead of all cgi.

I liked the turtles. They had good characterization of the turtles and the character design, though kind of stereotypical, fits the turtles. I just wished they individually showcased the turtles a bit more. I wanted martial arts action with the weaponry as their weapons was part of their personalities as well.

Splinter needed more shine, but he had something.

Shredder imho is probably the best in terms of pure-martial-arts-action-fun. The tenacity and attitude he showed was simply what I would put as 'beast'. Sure he didn't get much shine in terms of characterization, but neither did anybody else.

Overall action? I like how they didn't rely too much on shaky-cam for action sequences as that is something I notice a lot of American/hollywood action films tend to do to make the action sequences more exciting than they really are. I hate it, personal gripe. It feels like lazy fight choreography. I grew up watching hong kong martial arts films, so I prefer some finesse over practicality. Ever seen UFC casted martial arts films? Bleh. Actually a mixture of both, but a good balance with finesse tipping the scale a bit. I do however dislike the close-up shots during action sequences in the film though. Unless they are zooming in on a specific technique/attack in the film to emphasize its impact, unnecessary close-ups in action sequences ruins them to an extent. Donnie Yen's fight choreography imho is great and utilizes close-up shots well. Also the slow-mo, as expected when Michael Bay was involved. Not a fan of it unless used correctly. If they are used to extend a fight scene, then no, but if used to emphasize a certain action then yes. TMNT had a mix of slow-mo for extension and slow-mo for emphasis, so I'm ok with it.

One thing though that will be in tandem is the overall theme of family and teamwork. I loved how they utilized it well and especially in their biggest action scene.

As for April and Vern, they're just kind of there. If you go into this for the turtles kicking butt and not expect a highly detailed story with intricate plot devices like people for some reason are doing then you will enjoy it. If you go in expecting Lord of the Rings level of story-telling then don't be surprised when it 'fails' you. I'm quite surprised sometimes with people's lack of distinction between genres, especially for film.

Otherwise my biggest gripe was that it felt short or should I say rushed. It is 1 hr and 41 minutes long, but I honestly think they could've extended it to the 2hr mark and added some padding with the beginning while extending action sequences. What can I say? I like good action. The more the merrier.

Is it worth a 10 admission? If you like Ninja Turtles yeah sure. If you're iffy about it, go matinee. I'll be watching it again, but this time with my brothers for a more authentic TMNT nostalgia feel and will be trying out the 3D version, even though I heard the 3D was underwhelming.

Because I went in with a smaller list of expectations, I am giving it a 7.5/10.
  66. Aug 9, 2014
    This was a good SUMMER movie. If you go expecting a "great cinematic event", I think you will be disappointed. On the other hand, I think if you go expecting a fun "summer movie", I think you will enjoy.

I was introduced to TMNT by my kids and basically went to the movie for their sakes. They loved it and I thought it was good entertainment. I thought that the characters were true to what I have seen of them before. I think that nowadays many directors feel a need to take familiar characters in different odd directions.

I laughed out loudly nearly a dozen times during the movie. Many films today marketed as comedies tend not to get more than a few chuckles from me. TMNT was very funny.

I also thought the renditions of the turtles themselves was very good. The special effects work was impressive and until this movie I've actually had a hard time telling them apart. That wasn't a problem this time around.

From the reviews of this movie I've seen so far, people seem to love it or hate it. Count me firmly among those who love it.
  67. Aug 13, 2014
    The hate this movie is receiving (mostly due to the Megan Fox/Michael Bay hating band wagon) is ridiculous. It's a fun movie that really captures the characteristics and relationships of the turtles. There were some great action sequences and funny moments that shadowed some of the cliche moments and occasional corny dialogue. Overall, we had a great time and even saw it a second time.
  68. Aug 11, 2014
    I feel sorry for Michael Bay haters. You people are so full of hate you don't even understand how to be honest anymore. I read a bunch of reviews and it is just pure hate and I seriously doubt no matter what he does, you will like it. So if you are a person trying to decide to see this movie, read me and not all the haters.

This is a fun movie. It is not Citizen Kane, but what it

This is a fun movie. It is not Citizen Kane, but what it is, you will like. It typical Michael Bay fashion, this movie is a lot of action and some laughs. Not too deep of a story. But what do you want this is a movie about talking turtles that know karate???? I guess all the haters wanted Shakespeare.

One major thing that I really hate is when everyone fits together like one big messed up family. Two points taken away for that. It is lazy story making and I will not stand for it. It was also unnecessary. The story is really predictable, but again, this is an action movie. Loses one more point.

Other than that this is a fun film. There is a new twist on the general storyline of how the turtles came to be and "purest" will complain. As if there are turtles purest. lol Those people will always complain about all. They would complain if the story was not changed some. The CGI is awesome. The turtles look great. The voices were good. Their characters were well done. I don't agree with most everything about The Shredder, but whatever. I hope they were thinking sequel.

Bottom line if you want to see a cute and fun movie that is entertaining, go see this movie. Do not listen to the haters.
  69. Aug 8, 2014
    It was a fun movie with an attractive female lead in Megan Fox. If you are into the teenage mutant ninja turtles, or in seeing a hero type of movie; you will enjoy it.
  70. Aug 8, 2014
    really Great and awesome, glad i watched it, screw you meta score and get lost, you don't know a good movie even if it hit you in the head like the Avengers got a below 70 !?!?!?
  71. Aug 13, 2014
    As it often is with movies which people either love or hate, the truth with TMNT lies somewhere in the middle. As a person who doesn't have any special childhood memories related to the franchise (I watched the cartoon a bit, but it wasn't my favourite), I think that the new TMNT is a good summer blockbuster that has its fun factor for at least one view.
    Among the minuses one can name the
    Among the minuses one can name the bland plot (common occasion with blockbusters lately) with questionable villain motivations and some absolutely ridiculous childish moments (Splinter learned to fight using a Ninjutsu textbook found in a sewer? Seriously?) Another downside in my opinion is Megan Fox. I mean she's beautiful and all, but her "acting" here is just beyond terrible, I think she would fit better advertising underwear or something. Oh, and the turtles and their sensei look a bit too realistic for me with Splinter looking a bit disgusting during close-ups.
    However, those shortcomings are balanced with thrilling action sequences (mountain ride!) and the humour, mostly connected with the four turtles. That might not sound like much, but people watch action movies mostly for action, and it is done right here. So, a solid 7 out of 10, a good one.
  72. Dec 20, 2014
    Very very bad film.There's nothing else good about it except the elevator scene.They turned Ninja Turtles into a bunch of fools.A complete waste of time.
  73. Aug 17, 2014
    This is my favorite movie was i childhood, and now with best CGI i enjoyed watch this movies a lot. Damn i didn't know why is much critic is give with low score, maybe they are jealous or just haters watch TMNT now with the best CGI look more real close. By the way this movie is fun, funny, more action, and more ninja's...;love it...Cowabunga.
  74. Aug 12, 2014
    Its nothing special and Its not the Best movie of the year or even the summer and It can be very corny at times. However at the end of the day I can say that It was a very entertaining and fun movie that you can watch over and over again with your friends and family. This movie has not gotten good critic reviews because critics won't ever appreciate a Micheal Bay produced movie about fourIts nothing special and Its not the Best movie of the year or even the summer and It can be very corny at times. However at the end of the day I can say that It was a very entertaining and fun movie that you can watch over and over again with your friends and family. This movie has not gotten good critic reviews because critics won't ever appreciate a Micheal Bay produced movie about four turtles saving New York city. The critics might not have liked It but I did like it a lot and hope they bring the whole cast back including Megan Fox who did a great job as April. I also recommend you go into the theater hoping for a good,entertaining, and fun movie because If you do you will have a overall great time in the theater. Expand
  75. Aug 12, 2014
    If you are a fan of the TMNT and grew up watching the original cartoons and movies, you will like this movie. I went in not knowing what to expect and It was actually good. Sure the back story was a little weak and maybe they could have found someone better for April but she wasnt bad. Action was top notch, the turtles were funny and it brought in elements from all the cartoon series. ItsIf you are a fan of the TMNT and grew up watching the original cartoons and movies, you will like this movie. I went in not knowing what to expect and It was actually good. Sure the back story was a little weak and maybe they could have found someone better for April but she wasnt bad. Action was top notch, the turtles were funny and it brought in elements from all the cartoon series. Its a good movie. Expand
  76. Aug 13, 2014
    The 2nd best TMNT movie next to the 1990 original. It Was funny, action packed, Megan Fox was awesome as April. Michelangelo has always been my favorite and he didn't let me down in this movie. Can't wait for the sequel!
  77. Aug 14, 2014
    you know what? **** then negative critics and **** the fanboys. this movie was good. sure the turtles look like complete **** but they are funny and full with personality which is what the ninja turtles were all about. in 2003 when a the series got a reebot with another tv show the turtles looked like they took steroids bu nobody complained. i think this movie was good and aside from someyou know what? **** then negative critics and **** the fanboys. this movie was good. sure the turtles look like complete **** but they are funny and full with personality which is what the ninja turtles were all about. in 2003 when a the series got a reebot with another tv show the turtles looked like they took steroids bu nobody complained. i think this movie was good and aside from some mistakes it was jolly good fun Expand
  78. Aug 8, 2014
    Damn! This movie is so blasted by critics! lol. On the real though, I'd say that YES it is horrible, mainly because it did not stick to the comics. However, the turtles did a way better job compared to Amazing Spidey 2...now that's the truth. Of course, if they stuck to the comics, this movie would've been loved by everyone. Yet another failure by Michael Bay....and yeah yeah he wasn't theDamn! This movie is so blasted by critics! lol. On the real though, I'd say that YES it is horrible, mainly because it did not stick to the comics. However, the turtles did a way better job compared to Amazing Spidey 2...now that's the truth. Of course, if they stuck to the comics, this movie would've been loved by everyone. Yet another failure by Michael Bay....and yeah yeah he wasn't the director but it was his job to oversee everything, including hiring the director....so yeah it's totally Michael Gay's fault. Expand
  79. Aug 19, 2014
    The movie is not one of the best of 2014
    but it has great action and comedy that will entertain you to the end of the movie
    the turtles are great and have great character
    Shredder is badass but i wish he has more screentime without his armor
    I hope the sequel will have better plot and human characters
  80. Aug 20, 2014
    At first, I wasn't expecting anything from this movie. It had all the signs that it would be bad. While it's not the best turtles movie, It was still a decent flick. You can tell Micheal Bay had a TON of involvement in this movie, because it falls into the same trap as the Transformers movies. This movie should REALLY be called April O...scratch that, Megan Fox, featuring the TeenageAt first, I wasn't expecting anything from this movie. It had all the signs that it would be bad. While it's not the best turtles movie, It was still a decent flick. You can tell Micheal Bay had a TON of involvement in this movie, because it falls into the same trap as the Transformers movies. This movie should REALLY be called April O...scratch that, Megan Fox, featuring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. To everyone predicting that Megan would not be a good April, you were right. She felt really 1-dimensional and again felt like she was there to appeal to the teenage boy demographic. Shredder was very 1-dimensional as well, and pretty much looked like a mini-Transformer. The ONLY redeemable thing about this movie, is the Turtles themselves. Each actor did an excellent job portraying the turtles, and when they were on screen, I really thought we had a good turtle movie on our hands. However, I was kinda wrong. The only other thing great about this movie, was the downhill action scene. That was truly great. None of the other characters were great at doing what they were intended to do, and the turtles are the only reason to see this movie. Is it the worst turtles movie? No. Is it the best? Far from it. It's really just a "Meh" or "Okay" movie. I gotta hand to the movie though, at least it was better than Transformers:AoE. I am, however, excited and curious to see where this franchise goes. Expand
  81. Aug 12, 2014
    I saw this movie for the third time last night. The first time I shook my head at all the cheesy lines and counted the seconds til the turtles came on. The second time, I felt even worse about the acting but still thought the animation and how the turtles were presented was really cool.

Last night I proclaimed my unwavering love for this movie. Each and every scene and line from this

Last night I proclaimed my unwavering love for this movie.

Each and every scene and line from this movie is derived from the cartoon that i grew up watching with a lot of the dark comic book elements. No, it doesnt have the best script, or the best acting, or make all that much sense when you cut it into slices. But we're talking about teenage mutant ninja turtles. It is, by nature, meant to be over-the-top and be COMPLETELY based in a comic book world, where anything and everything is possible.

The action, the lines, delivery and all the elements from each and every scene look and feel like they are straight out of a comic book. The people working on this project did a phenomenal job of really bringing those scenes to life. Are lines like "I didnt have a voice then, but I thank you now." and " drain all of their blood... even if it kills them" strokes of movie-writing genius sent from movie heaven? "Of course not", will say you experts. But they are exactly the types of lines that would be in ANY comic book.

What Leibsman and Bay did was exactly what I dreamed about, and spent countless hours as a child imagining with my 4 action figures. They brought those tiny plastic toys that i used to splash about in my bathtub, animated them to look really cool (and made them into characters, not just 4 same-sized guys with different bandanas and a letter on their belt) and put them on the side of a huge friggen mountain. Are you kidding me? Ive waited for 22 years to see something this big and this fantastic with these guys in it. It was PERFECT.

The Shredder gives me the willies every time i see him (even the third go-round). Sachs is that under-cover bad guy that I absolutely hate. April is trying to be more in the world than just a hottie, she wants to make a difference. Splinter looks a little weird, but he is truly the father and a unquestionable badass.
    It was everything that a NINJA TURTLES movie should be.

With all this being said; if youre going to be upset because the origin story is a little different and eric sachs sounds too close to oroku saki for your taste and robot shredder isnt "authentic" enough and that the turtles are actually 4' in the comic but look like professional hockey players in this movie... Then do what you want to do. Go buy the ticket see the movie and then write about how awful you thought it was for whatever reason you want to. Or don't. Whatever.

BUT if you love the ninja turtles and remember what it was like to play the games and have the toys and watch it after school, then go see this movie. DO NOT WAIT til you can see it on dvd or netflix. It is worth seeing on the big screen.

P.S. The subway fight is really really REALLY cool.
  82. Aug 12, 2014
    Wow.....After reading a lot of these critic and user reviews, I am very upset. This movie is very good, action, plot, and acting. TMNT 2014 was very enjoyable and I would recommend spending the $10 to see it. The movie is not bland, or boring, people these days are just quick to be harsh. 8/10 will be buying on Blu-ray.
  83. Sep 26, 2014
    Hated it.....Hated it.....

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  84. Oct 29, 2014
    this film was really difficult to sit through. It did have its good moments, but it just didn’t work overall. It really felt at times like a really good Ninja Turtle movie was trying to get out, but I don’t think this will work for old school fans and I don’t believe that new fans will get into the franchise because of it. It suffers way too much from the typical Michael Bay formula andthis film was really difficult to sit through. It did have its good moments, but it just didn’t work overall. It really felt at times like a really good Ninja Turtle movie was trying to get out, but I don’t think this will work for old school fans and I don’t believe that new fans will get into the franchise because of it. It suffers way too much from the typical Michael Bay formula and I really think another director and producer should have been put on this project. This is a DVD rental at BEST, and at worst, its a complete avoid. It’s so disappointing, what could have been a Great Bad Ass Re-boot similar to the Dark Knight Trilogy for the Turtles, turns into a complete missed opportunity!! Expand
  85. Jan 25, 2015
    Sempre fui fã de "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" mas, devido a todas as críticas negativas que vi a respeito, eu estava esperando muito pouco desse filme. Mas, mesmo com a expectativa baixa, o filme conseguiu me surpreender negativamente!!! Filme fraquíssimo, com piadas forçadas, toda a trama é clichê no último, utilizando fórmulas já extremamente "batidas". O CGI ficou legal, a sequênciaSempre fui fã de "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" mas, devido a todas as críticas negativas que vi a respeito, eu estava esperando muito pouco desse filme. Mas, mesmo com a expectativa baixa, o filme conseguiu me surpreender negativamente!!! Filme fraquíssimo, com piadas forçadas, toda a trama é clichê no último, utilizando fórmulas já extremamente "batidas". O CGI ficou legal, a sequência de ação na neve é legal, e só. No mais, o filme é muito fraco, não recomendo perder tempo assistindo. Era um filme que teria muito potencial, mas infelizmente, para maximizar o lucro, focaram nas crianças, bem infantil, sem sangue e sem violências. Passe longe ou passe raiva!!! Expand
  86. Dec 7, 2014
    Shredder looked like a transformer, the rat looked stupid but laid waste to cronies and Shredder. The movie was fairly engaging and entertaining. It's not The King's Speech, but it's a fun night out at the movies.
  87. Jan 2, 2015
    Whilst the action and effects may be fairly good, the storyline and overall voice acting is very poor, you can predict what's going to happen easily, the voice acting is cheesy, and its just a generic hollywood film being pushed out for a quick buck. I'm surprised this film's budget was even over $50 million, I fail to see how it is so expensive compared to other more impressive films I've seen.
  88. Dec 16, 2014
    A reboot of the classic franchise on the big screen with twists to the fiction and the turtles being brought to life by CGI. The plot feels stupid thanks to a glaring hole in the villains plan and the turtles new look takes a lot of getting used to. They look disgusting and monstrous most of the time, but after a while you get used to it and don't mind anymore. However the biggest flaw itA reboot of the classic franchise on the big screen with twists to the fiction and the turtles being brought to life by CGI. The plot feels stupid thanks to a glaring hole in the villains plan and the turtles new look takes a lot of getting used to. They look disgusting and monstrous most of the time, but after a while you get used to it and don't mind anymore. However the biggest flaw it has is that the turtles themselves feel like side-characters in their own movie.

There's way too much of a focus on April O'neil. This movie is pretty much her origin story. The heroes in a half-shell are pushed to the side in favor of tying her into their past. Even worse is that Megan Fox gives an absolutely crappy performance as O'neil. If she somehow manages to avoid getting a razzie for this I will be amazed. There is no emotion in her performance what so ever and you can clearly tell she isn't trying in the slightest.

So why isn't my score lower? The answer is the turtles themselves. They're brotherly back and forth is entertaining and often funny. Despite how ugly they now look it's hard to not get excited when they appear on-screen. The action isn't anything spectacular, but still provides some decent entertainment.

You can tell it's trying hard to be one of the big blockbuster superhero movies in order to compete. Because of that it takes a lot of the same paths recent superhero flicks have and lacks some necessary originality. However it does still make for a pretty entertaining flick. Especially for the younger TMNT fans out there.

Changes to the fiction are sure to anger hardcore purists and it's not really a great new start for the series on the big-screen. That being said it can still be an entertaining watch. I wasn't really impressed with it and a lot of elements make it seem more geared to a new, younger crowd, but I wasn't bored by it.

If they had focused more on the title characters it could have been a lot better. As it stands it's an at least watchable movie that shouldn't completely burn your inner TMNT fan. There's enough humor and decent action to make it a decent popcorn flick, but it's not hard to see how it could have been better. With more emphasis on the turtles as well as injecting it with more of the series personality the sequel could actually be pretty good.

This isn't a bad TMNT movie, but it's changes clearly make it more geared towards attracting a new audience by giving them what so many other box-office hits have been offering as of late. Because of that it lacks some intelligence and well as enough of the turtles themselves. It makes for a TMNT movie that's watchable, but not entirely satisfying. Especially not for old-school fans. I personally view it as still worth a watch though. Just don't expect to be blown away. My total score for the movie is a 6.5/10.
  89. Nov 4, 2014
    What's the beef? Just switch on the child in yo self and enjoy! It's by far the best TMNT movie and completely updates really well. The turtles are great and it wasn't long until I forgot about the lips. Yeah the hated turtle lips! "Stupid", I initially thought of the leaked pictures, but it doesn't take long until the turtle's charm and humour take over. So yeah this is a great pacedWhat's the beef? Just switch on the child in yo self and enjoy! It's by far the best TMNT movie and completely updates really well. The turtles are great and it wasn't long until I forgot about the lips. Yeah the hated turtle lips! "Stupid", I initially thought of the leaked pictures, but it doesn't take long until the turtle's charm and humour take over. So yeah this is a great paced comedy-action movie that's not trying to be something else.
    And don't get me started on faithfulness... Each Turtle's rendition/retelling has been different from the next. This compliments the whole franchise really well and I put this amongst the top of the pile.
    Everybody falls into their roles perfectly and yes.. Even Megan Fox. She starts off shaky but soon she is a believable April O'neil. There's not much else I can say about the Turtles and Splinter... Except that they absolutely kick ass.
    All I need to end this with is that I had a great time and the haters were watching a completely different movie or they let their grump take over big-time. Just watch it.
  90. Aug 18, 2014
    I went in expecting utter trash, and it was a lot better than I would have expected. Not a masterpiece by any measure of the word, but enjoyable. The good thing was that it was short and fast. It kept the action moving and never let up, so while there was plenty I didn't agree with or thought was just downright stupid, I didn't have time to stew over it.

Also, Megan Fox was much better

Also, Megan Fox was much better than I would have thought. Also not great, but you could tell she actually tried to be more than just T&A. She took this role very seriously, even if the rest of the movie didn't, and I appreciate that.

Overall, it wasn't a Bayformers mega-mess like I had expected and so I was pleasantly surprised.
  91. Oct 19, 2014
    Very simply the reason why I have given this film such a low score - It does not make any reference or use any of the great story line from the comics/ old films and tv shows.

The reasons for this: 1. Nothing about Japan is mentioned. Japan and Ninjitsu are the back story here so why do they have no mention. 2. Splinter has a master - Master Yoshi no mention of him 3. The story

The reasons for this:

2. Splinter has a master - Master Yoshi no mention of him
    3. The story makes no sense either. Who actually killed Aprils father? the fire or shredder?
    4. If anyone reads the story plot of the original 1987 series OR the 2003 series you will understand about the back story.
    5. This has completely ruined another franchise thanks to good old Michael Bay!
    This guy just ruins everything he touches, all his films are simply just explosion after explosion.
    6. People giving this a higher score above 5, are clearly 15.
  92. Dec 24, 2014
    I thought that this is a very good movie. My dad's favorite Ninja Turtle is Donatello since he is a huge fan of the show and he even likes this movie. So if you're a huge TMNT fan, i highly recommend getting this movie.
  93. Aug 18, 2014
    This is not your average stupid, this is Michael Bay stupid. There's a certain level of absurdity in movies that I'm willing to overlook. Some may have convenience timing or occurrence, but TMNT has gone beyond any hope of logical salvation, it discarded any plausibility or decent common sense in that matter, and opted for samurai robot and explosion. I knew it was going to do that, butThis is not your average stupid, this is Michael Bay stupid. There's a certain level of absurdity in movies that I'm willing to overlook. Some may have convenience timing or occurrence, but TMNT has gone beyond any hope of logical salvation, it discarded any plausibility or decent common sense in that matter, and opted for samurai robot and explosion. I knew it was going to do that, but apparently my expectation was still too high. One of the characters embodies Michael Bay's philosophy, saying that knowing what people like is good, like froth in coffee. Well, this movie doesn't even resemble that, it's that white stuff that accumulates at corners of your mouth when you're really thirsty.

Acting isn't much, there's Megan Fox who looks nice and everything, but she just looks completely in distress, it differs little whether the cause is ninja, samurai robot, or transforming robot. There may be a misconception that Fox’ up close agape look is a selling point, or may be not. Will Arnett tries to bring some comedy, his character often wanders how he caught up in this mess, same could probably be said about the actor. The main problem is how the turtles look exceptionally superficial. Using CG is expected, although the end result appears too mutated for viewing pleasure. At times, they resemble bulked up Jar-Jar Binks, definitely not pretty. While the movie tries to personify them differently, they are just too unconvincing to build any kind of emotional attachment and end up rather shallow.

Plot is a mess, it literally requires one to not question anything and merely marvel at the explosion. Even if the original story is a children cartoon, there has to be some coherency. TMNT doesn't want anything to do with any of that, with each passing minute the movie struts into the realm of impossibility even by dumb standard. Screenplay is poorly written, content is thin, near non-existent even. About half way most audience will stop their attempt to follow the plot, because it's exercise in futility and if one cares about story after about forty minutes, that's more work than the production put in the movie.

I suppose in term of effects it fares slightly better. These scenes are the highlights, and at this point, one won't be surprised if the turtles developed wings and fly. Fights and some action scenes are decent, but it may have borrowed too much from Transformers, just change the robot in flying debris with mutated turtles in flying debris. Cinematography is very Michael Bay, tilted scene, rotating close up, damsel in distress, empty dramatization all around. I guess it works for mindless fun, but it's now more mindless than fun.

The movie belongs in the sewer where it should just stay there, but considering turtle's life span, how it sells like hot pizza and Michael Bay's persistence, I fear for a sequel.
  94. Feb 8, 2015
    Jonathan Liebesman, Michael Bay, Josh Appelbaum, and anyone else involved in the casting, writing, production, or direction of the film should be beaten with their choice of a sword, a bo staff, sais, and nunchakus. I didn't think it was possible to ruin a franchise more thoroughly and absolutely than they did. Let's start from the beginning, shall we? The concept of the movie was aJonathan Liebesman, Michael Bay, Josh Appelbaum, and anyone else involved in the casting, writing, production, or direction of the film should be beaten with their choice of a sword, a bo staff, sais, and nunchakus. I didn't think it was possible to ruin a franchise more thoroughly and absolutely than they did. Let's start from the beginning, shall we? The concept of the movie was a complete and total failure. From the introduction sequence of the film to the look and origin of the turtles and Splinter to the overall storyline to how April O'Neil's character would be integrated to the absence of other key characters (Casey Jones anyone?) to how the conflict would be established to the decision to show Shredder's face and eliminate part of the mystery behind his character... it was all bad. I would assume that after they had the preliminary blueprint for the film, they would begin the writing process. Oh man, the writing was terrible! The dialogue felt forced and disingenuous and the script made it just about impossible for any cast to save the film. The characters are not developed at all and the plot is developed even less. How about the casting decisions? Megan Fox? Really? What about Megan Fox screams April O'Neil? Nothing, that's what. Why not go for Emma Stone, Amy Adams, Isla Fisher, Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, Christina Hendricks, Emma Stone, Karen Gillan, or Rachel Nichols to play everyone's favorite redheaded reporter? Any of them could've provided the appropriate overall look for the character and they all would have their own unique spin on the feel. Whether it be sense of humor, acting style, sensuality, etc. What they all have in common is that they all would've been a better choice than Megan Fox. Oh, and did I mention Emma Stone? Because why bother going after the one actress every single TMNT fan wanted to see in the movie when you can land a brunette with too much plastic surgery and not enough acting chops. Yeah, that makes sense. The casting decisions for the turtles was nearly as bad. Outside of Alan Ritchson (Raphael), none of the other turtles even remotely sounded like their characters and the casting of Johnny Knoxville as Leonardo may have been the worst decision of them all. So now we have a mediocre script and cast, maybe the cinematography and special effects will be good, right? Ha! That's funny. No, instead we got a combination of some of the worst shaky cam, cgi, and overall cinematography I've ever seen. Honestly, it feels almost as if some idiot studio exec gave $125 to some bums off of the street and told them to reboot this beloved franchise. Actually, no, I think they would've done a better job. Expand
  95. Nov 25, 2014
    Megan Fox was a terrible casting, Wish they hired an actress who could actually act to play April instead of her. That being said, The fight scenes were surprisingly very well done and the guys who played the Turtles did a very good job as well. I surprisingly thought it was going to suck, and it did for roughly half the movie, but it picked up very fast and ended up being pretty decent.
  96. Aug 23, 2014
    Seeing all the negative reviews out there I did not have high hopes. But surprisingly this movie was great! I'm a turtles fan going to back to pre-school days and this movie did a great job of revitalizing some of those old memories. It's more similar to the cartoons than the old movies. Compared to the first movie it's not as good but better than others. On its own today almost as good asSeeing all the negative reviews out there I did not have high hopes. But surprisingly this movie was great! I'm a turtles fan going to back to pre-school days and this movie did a great job of revitalizing some of those old memories. It's more similar to the cartoons than the old movies. Compared to the first movie it's not as good but better than others. On its own today almost as good as Guardians of the Galaxy. It has as decent story, great action sequences... oh an Megan Fox. In any case I really enjoyed it. I do think some of the jokes were a little mature for the major audience who will see the movie (e.g. mike comments that his shell feels small when he is around megan fox). It wasn't a big deal for me but definitely inappropriate for the character. In any case I highly suggest it. Expand
  97. Sep 29, 2014
    I went into this knowing very little. I didn't really look up anything about the movie in hopes that it wouldn't spoil the viewing. The acting was laughable from Megan Fox, but I kind of expected that. The action sequences were actually pretty satisfying, but I believe that the Ninja Turtles just don't work as a believable live action movie. It felt very campy and very unrealistic. I amI went into this knowing very little. I didn't really look up anything about the movie in hopes that it wouldn't spoil the viewing. The acting was laughable from Megan Fox, but I kind of expected that. The action sequences were actually pretty satisfying, but I believe that the Ninja Turtles just don't work as a believable live action movie. It felt very campy and very unrealistic. I am not a Michael Bay hater, as I thoroughly enjoyed the Transformers films as entertaining summer films. This is not an attack on my child hood per say, so I do not come in with that baggage. I gave it a chance, and it fell flat. Great for kids, not for adults. Expand
  98. Aug 21, 2014
    Coming from someone that doesn't have any kind of nostalgic biases about this franchise (but still knows the basic info about it), this just felt like your average everyday summer blockbuster with not much to offer in the way of clever humor, interesting action scenes or a reason to exist in the first place other than for some big movie execs to cash in on the 90's being cool again. TheComing from someone that doesn't have any kind of nostalgic biases about this franchise (but still knows the basic info about it), this just felt like your average everyday summer blockbuster with not much to offer in the way of clever humor, interesting action scenes or a reason to exist in the first place other than for some big movie execs to cash in on the 90's being cool again. The visuals can be pretty cool at times (especially with the turtles themselves & that snow mountain scene) but other than that it's really not worth going out of your way to see.

(For a longer review, search for "Spin It Reviews" on YouTube.)
  99. Nov 30, 2014
    This is reall an entertaining movie. Dumb plot, dumb acting but this movie kept me smiling and chuckling the way through. Some clever references in pop culture reall cracked me up. Might be the nostalgia as well but i thoroughly enjoyed this movie. And thats the reason I watched a TMNT movie....
  100. Sep 26, 2014
    A huge TMNT franchise fan going back to the 80's. The worst possible version of the franchise. Instead of small, tactical, and funny. They are large, ugly, tanking idiots. Worst Movie I have seen in a very long time.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Oct 13, 2014
    Heroes in a half-arsed shell.
  2. Reviewed by: Jordan Hoffman
    Sep 9, 2014
    Young kids will find the second, more action-heavy half of the film entertaining, but everyone else will want to crawl into their shell.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Sep 4, 2014
    Teenagers, even non-ninjas and non-turtles, have been eating up this cinematic waste product for weeks now. In one way, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a triumph for producer Michael Bay in that it is equally as godawful as his "Transformers: Age of Extinction" and a hit nonetheless.