7.1

1. Aug 11, 2012
    A very interesting style to the animation; quite simplistic in a way, some of the cityscapes reminded me a little of the work of the artist L. S. Lowry. Still, great to look at and also quite a complex plot; maybe complex is the wrong word here, let
  2. Jul 11, 2011
    Outstanding strong story, for anime fans this is what we have been missing.I would love to see a sequel to it, it's incredible and well drawn ( weird character draws, but maybe the best one out there) . Animations need to keep doing more stuff like this.
  3. May 6, 2011
    Visually interesting but I think it's a bit of an acquired taste. The dark-light metaphor wasn't executed very well, I thought, but it had a nice message about hope. I enjoyed the relationship between the 2 main characters but the overall plot was a bit too under-developed and screwy for my taste. If you like anime, though, this one isn't too bad.
  4. Aug 3, 2013
    This is a really beautiful film. It's a travel from the darkness to the light, is a wonderful metaphor of the internal fight of the spirit. And the best of all, is that the history is told from the view of two amazing kids, that have a precious relation of love, trust and funny between them.
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From the animations aspect it feels very surreal but here it just doesn't fit. I just don't really like the style of the humans, but it does give some great angles and close-ups. It actually has some of the my favourite elements of anime, action, family, and dark depressing moments, but for some reason this movie just doesn't do it for me. One problem I have in particular is that the metaphor of good and evil (or Black and White), was way to obvious. Now if this was made just for kids the metaphor would work all right, but with all the blood and adult themes the metaphor is way to simple for its audience. In the end I thought it was okay but could have been ways better. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jeremy Knox
    A beautiful looking kinetic film that’s always in movement. It’s a bit slow at times and the plot has a tendency to meander, but other than that it’s hard to find fault.
  2. Reviewed by: Russell Edwards
    Strained metaphysics dovetail with urban and architectural nostalgia in the exquisitely realized, minutely detailed Japanese anime Tekkonkinkreet.
  3. Reviewed by: Julia Wallace
    It's both too cute and too rambling.