7.0

Dec 26, 2008
    Pure genius.
  2. StevenL.
    Aug 7, 2008
    I'm rating it an eight. I enjoyed it up to ten though. I realize that it lags at times and it really should be a 7, but i enjoyed it so i bumped it up to 8. But the song's Kickapoo & Beezleboss are 10's all around. Jack Black is money as usual, that warrants and eight.
  3. Oct 18, 2010
    A cult classic! With laugh-out-loud rock references, an incredbile cast and two men who play off eachother perfectly. The perfect comedy duo. I suppose the film was a little on the short side and its packed with continuity errors, but so what? The bottom line is - it's easily quotable and so funny!
  4. Jan 3, 2013
    Most reviews of this film will say something along the line of it not being a film for a large audience but more an experience for the fans, and I will say, unless you're a fan, you'll wonder what the hell is happening. If you watched this and have never heard their music before then it will come across as two wannabe rock gods in a film that makes little sense. A fan of the band or justMost reviews of this film will say something along the line of it not being a film for a large audience but more an experience for the fans, and I will say, unless you're a fan, you'll wonder what the hell is happening. If you watched this and have never heard their music before then it will come across as two wannabe rock gods in a film that makes little sense. A fan of the band or just Jack Black and it's definitely for you; the typically silly Tenacious D humour, the general relationship between JB and Kyle Gass works very well and of course a brilliant soundtrack.

The script isn't brilliant, and as others have said it starts phenomenally well but goes off track and becomes ridiculous as the film progresses only to be saved from mediocrity by a brilliant ending. Though that's not to say there aren't some very good parts in the middle, it's just a bit of a mess. Those who criticize their "ego" by calling themselves the best band in the world obviously are blind to the fact that it's the joke. You don't have to be stoned to enjoy it, maybe it helps, but there are enough laughs and outright brilliant musical entertainment to keep a fan happy, and Tenacious D are possibly the only people capable of making such low-brow humour acceptable. To someone who isn't a fan, keep an open mind and remember when it comes to this duo nothing has to make complete logical sense. It's not a good idea to over analyze this film, just enjoy it for what it is. Ridiculous, rocking and hilarious.
  5. Jul 24, 2013
    I'm really not sure how it bombed so bad. I immediately connected with the film. I've watched it many times and consider it a comedy classic in my library. To each their own, I say! What has one person quaking with laughter doesn't do it for another. That's fine, but, if you dig the D then you should give this a shot because it's pretty drop dead hilarious.
  6. Gaz
    Jun 8, 2013
    A cheesy, low-budget movie featuring Tenacious D. It's not intended for people who aren't fans of the greatest rock and roll band of all time. It's dumb, it's rockin', it's hilarious. What more do you want?
  7. Nov 20, 2011
    Really funny film with its epic questline along the way. Dont listen to the haters they are just too old to understand what awesome music is all about. Everyone must watch it. Highly recommended
  8. Mar 27, 2012
    This is more of an inside joke than a major motion picture -- you'll either get it or you'll leave wondering why it wasn't more like Avatar.

m/ m/
  9. Jun 9, 2012
    I think its safe to say it let fans down....... but funny and awesome music! And I still watch it over and over again. I would rather watch the hbo episodes. The new album is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Oct 8, 2011
    It will make you laugh, if you didn't laugh then you're taking it too seriously. The story is simple enough so that when/if you're high you won't get confused
  11. ScoA.
    Apr 2, 2007
    The worst movie of the year. If Jack Black didn't use the F bomb, he would have no lines.
  12. JohnR.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Not funny at all - from the sophomoric cartoon farting at the beginning - to the lame parody of bad rockers going nowhere - a "This is Spinal Tap" it is not.
  13. JacobC.
    Feb 19, 2007
    Disappointing and cumbersome, even to a huge D fan as myself.
  14. KyriakosV.
    Jul 12, 2007
    This movie was a bad idea.Very boring.
  15. KyleR
    Jun 30, 2009
    I didn't really find it that funny... i actually kind of felt bad for jack black and kyle gass' characters, more than finding them funny. also, the ending was awful. really, i can use only one word to describe it: meh.
  16. Sep 14, 2010
    Man this movie sucked. There story could have been written by a 10 year old. Dough i love both Jack Black and Dave Grohl, there is no excuse for this movie. I think turned it off 3 times. I would have called Jack and asked for my money back if it didnt borrow it for free from a friend.
  17. Nov 26, 2011
    It was pretty terrible. Poor acting, Poor music as well and I thought it made for a terrible musical, and the entire film is just so stupid you cant believe that you are actually watching this.
  18. Jan 18, 2011
    I guess you need to enjoy stoner humor to find any Apatow film funny. I just don't enjoy his work, it seems that all he really cares about is glorifying drugs (yes pot is a drug don't kid yourself). The truth is the only laughs he can conjure up are based off of some baked character who laughs at anything someone says. Rogen has some talent but he needs to separate himself from anythingI guess you need to enjoy stoner humor to find any Apatow film funny. I just don't enjoy his work, it seems that all he really cares about is glorifying drugs (yes pot is a drug don't kid yourself). The truth is the only laughs he can conjure up are based off of some baked character who laughs at anything someone says. Rogen has some talent but he needs to separate himself from anything Apatow and focus in on some real comedy rather than his stoner roles. I am just not seeing peoples fascination with Apatow I have yet to see a movie of his that was quality and Knocked Up just continues the trend of unfunny writing that is just used to glorify pot. Expand
  19. MarcD.
    Dec 6, 2006
    This is Black unleashed...brilliance.
  20. hihi
    Nov 5, 2008
    This movie is one of the best in all time anyone that hates it can suck eggs.
  21. rachelt.
    Nov 20, 2006
    Extremely funny & entertaining...def. for tenacious d fans.
  22. BrianM.
    Nov 30, 2006
    Brilliant opening, brilliant ending, and enough good bits in between to tie it together.
  23. DrewE.
    Nov 30, 2006
    Certainly not the best movie I've seen this year, but going in one can't possibly hope to expect that. Instead, you get a solid, thoroughly entertaining flick that should keep general rockers and fans of The D equally amused.
  24. BeSeth
    Nov 30, 2006
    Awesometastic rock opera of the soul.
  25. BenE
    Dec 29, 2006
    For people looking for a movie, don't watch this, for people who like the band, don' t watch it, this movie is intented for the fans of the band, and not many other people (execpt fans) will like this moive. It has typical Tenacious D humor, typical songs, it's more of a big rock show than a movie, if you dont like this band, i dont know why you would watch this movie.
  26. CyberS.
    Jan 8, 2007
    Though this movie is rated poorly [by many people who don't have half a mind to know this movie was not meant for wanna-be respectable people in society], it was, in fact, meant for teenager boys to laugh and snort and crap their pants from the sick humor. If the viewers did not expect this, then they need to learn how to tell a teenage-boy movie from a Grade A movie. When this humor Though this movie is rated poorly [by many people who don't have half a mind to know this movie was not meant for wanna-be respectable people in society], it was, in fact, meant for teenager boys to laugh and snort and crap their pants from the sick humor. If the viewers did not expect this, then they need to learn how to tell a teenage-boy movie from a Grade A movie. When this humor is expected, though, it's played well. Many people, mainly teenage boys, are now actually inspired to make their own movies. Though they are stoners, like the audience of the movie implies, this movie was made for them and rockers alike. Look at the population that this movie is appealing to... It's big. The D is big. See this if you have ever had a good high, or if you have a teenage boyfriend. You'll get cool points. Expand
  27. RockyB.
    Mar 10, 2007
    For me as a Dutch viewer watching the film in Amsterdam - well - there could not be a better movie to go to. I'm no drug user by any means but pretty much all the humor and genius you can derive from extended soft drug use is in this movie. That doesn't mean that's the only thing good about this movie, seriously, the choreography and sequencing has been done terrifically. I For me as a Dutch viewer watching the film in Amsterdam - well - there could not be a better movie to go to. I'm no drug user by any means but pretty much all the humor and genius you can derive from extended soft drug use is in this movie. That doesn't mean that's the only thing good about this movie, seriously, the choreography and sequencing has been done terrifically. I expected to go to a B-movie, especially because we were assigned to one of the smallest rooms inside the movie theater. It turned out to be one of the best rollercoaster rides with some very good rock and photography i've been to in, well, years! Quite unbelievably, Jack Black and Kyle Gass turn out to be respectable actors, their music seems to come out quite terrifically and for some reason, Liam Lynch managed to do something convincing for a change, as opposed to the annoying humor he (and Ben Stiller for that matter) usually has. The orchestral and rock tunes are magnificent and if you are remotely attracted to fictional epics, and if you have some sense of humor and imagination, this is definitely a movie you WILL have to see! Expand
  28. RickG
    Mar 4, 2007
    Look--you already know if you're going to like this. Do you like Jack Black? Do you like silly movies? Is part of you completely in awe of Led Zeppelin? Would you think it funny to fashion a bong from Satan's horn? If you answered yes to 3 or more of the above questions, you'll definitely enjoy this movie. If not, maybe take a pass.
  29. AdamB.
    Apr 8, 2007
    Hilarious film! This is the kind of comedy that mixes "The Three Stooges" with "The Producers". It's good to know that Tenacious D is still the best band ever. And be amazed by the final battle with Beelzebub!
  30. JimM
    Jul 1, 2008
    You people are all nuts! This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Genius comedy! I loved every minute of it. You people take life WAY too seriously if you hate this fun movie.
  31. Chrism
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hilarious and cool movie, i love the songs they make a perfect duo.
  32. BillS.
    Nov 26, 2006
    Horribly unfunny. Jack Black shouldn't have a career after this.
  33. MattR.
    Nov 26, 2006
    A lame joke that lasts 90 minutes. Jack Black puts in the same performance he's been doing for 10 years, and at this point it's about as funny as watching Saved By The Bell reruns.
  34. PennyS.
    Nov 27, 2006
    I did not laugh once while watching this movie. This is very juvenile humor and is devoid of anything redeming whatsoever.
  35. Heath
    Nov 30, 2006
    LEDGENDS!! Kage and J-Bles are Ledgends. Rock offs with the Devil and sasquatch's!!! And i have never Smoked Dope! TENACIOUS D ARE LORDS OF ROCK!!!
  36. JohnW
    Nov 30, 2006
    This movie is awesome! I don't usually waste my time armchair reviewing but reading the other reviews I felt compelled to say something. I can
  37. Mick
    Dec 2, 2006
    Fans of the D will enjoy the film however they may leave feeling let down. While the film certainly lives up to the D standards it doesn't compare to the episodes which so much of this film clearly stems from.
  38. ChristopherW.
    Feb 28, 2007
    I do not own any Tenacious D albums, nor have I ever seen any previous work by this band other than a music video that aired on MTV several years ago. However, I must say that 'The Pick of Destiny' is the most sustained comedy of the year with Kevin Smith's 'Clerks II.' I found this rock musical comedy to be gut bustingly hilarious, a film I could most assuredly I do not own any Tenacious D albums, nor have I ever seen any previous work by this band other than a music video that aired on MTV several years ago. However, I must say that 'The Pick of Destiny' is the most sustained comedy of the year with Kevin Smith's 'Clerks II.' I found this rock musical comedy to be gut bustingly hilarious, a film I could most assuredly watch again and again. The manic energy, unchecked enthusiasm, and uninhibited extremely well choreographed comedy stagings make this one of the very best comedies of 2006. A must see! Expand
  39. JakobK.
    Mar 10, 2007
    If you're a fan of the TV series and their first album, you'll like this movie, which is the high-paced and humoristic culmination of the entire D mythos. It has a few flaws
    Mar 20, 2007
    Jack Black is so overrated. And is he serious about the "Tenacious D" band thing? I saw them play on SNL. Really, its an overplayed joke, right?
  41. BlisterfishCafe
    Mar 30, 2007
    I am a true, hardcore fan of JB. I admire his talent, attitude, and his body of excellent, quite original work. The word "horror" fails to touch the emotion I felt when I watched this film. Didn't make it to the end...this movie is unwatchable. *hangs head in sorrow*.
  42. AdamH.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Some good laughs... I have a feeling if you are high you will really enjoy it though.
  43. TimoV
    Mar 25, 2009
    I'd loved to say I loved this film, but it's such a environmental and situational issue whether you like this film or not, so I won't say anything.
  44. LydiaH
    Aug 15, 2009
    This movie is a great Rock Musical Stoner Comedy. It not only features a great cast, it also gives you Excellent Production & Direction. It is so well done! It begins with a great cartoon fart and it says "THC", then proclaims "The Audience Is Baking". This movie is filled with lots of HERB, Lots of ROCK,& Lots of LAUGHS The intro is an awesome song that pisses young JB's father This movie is a great Rock Musical Stoner Comedy. It not only features a great cast, it also gives you Excellent Production & Direction. It is so well done! It begins with a great cartoon fart and it says "THC", then proclaims "The Audience Is Baking". This movie is filled with lots of HERB, Lots of ROCK,& Lots of LAUGHS The intro is an awesome song that pisses young JB's father (Meatloaf) off. Leading another awesome song featuring the great Ronnie James Dio. After and amazing awesome rock intro JB end's up in Hollywood where he meets KG. The story progresses from there and they have to find the pick of Destiny.Located at the Rock and Roll History Museum. They go on a journey and meet many people along the way. There are AMAZING JAMS between dialog that fits right in with story. Like I said It's a musical. Ben Stiller makes an appearance, as well as other names like Amy Pohler, Fred Armisen, Tim Robbins, David Grohl & Paul F. Tompkins. I wont spoil the ending. All I will say is it ends in a GREAT ROCK OFF! & the B.O.D.! This movie i good. It's even better if you smoke weed and are a Tenacious D Fan. (Such as Myself) I've seen this movie over and over again. You know how every thing is enhanced when you're high? Everything is Funnier, food tastbetter, you feel the music more? Well get nice and toasted and sit back and give it a watch. Expand
  45. BillC.
    Nov 21, 2006
    Great musical bits and a lot of fun overall.
  46. JordanL.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Gimme a break. There is nothing remotely funny in this movie.
  47. TeriG.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Unquethe worst movie of the year. What a waste of time and money.
  48. RayB.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Jack Black is a mediocre actor at best. However, when he appears in a badly written movie (which he co-wrote) he blows.
  49. BrianR.
    Nov 27, 2006
    A couple of stoners that are wannabe legends in their own minds. Not original. Not funny.
  50. AdamF.
    Nov 30, 2006
    At least one of the greatest motion pictures of all time. Way better than Citizen Kane. This movie may have a small target audience, but those who are prepared to rock will salute it.
  51. KennyH.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Seriously just a great movie. After I saw the movie, I was a little disappointed, but I went home and I listened to the soundtrack, and I realized the movie was really awesome. It wasn't quite as laugh out loud funny as I'd expected, but it was entertaining and awesome. Any rock fan should see this.
  52. RichardH.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Excellent, probably goes over a lot of thick peoples heads though.
  53. BennyB
    Dec 19, 2006
    A perfect summation of the D's struggle to the top. The soundtrack flows amazing well with the film, while still being distinct enough to give you a laugh. Jack Black has definitely been funnier, but Kyle Gass comes through as the ideal straight-man. The greatest film ever? No. The greatest band on earth? Still, and always will be.
  54. PaulH
    Dec 8, 2007
    One of the funniest movies I have seen in a very long time. Turn off your pretentiousness, turn up the sound system.
  55. IanB.
    Sep 27, 2007
    Good not great some really solid laughs throughout the film.
  56. NielsP.
    Aug 15, 2008
    This is one of the few movies, that I have watched more than once. I love rock, especially hard rock, and this movie was just the greatest ever, and when I'm not watching the movie again and again, I'm listening to their music. Great movie, I remembered JB from School of Rock, which was also a good movie.
  57. IainF.
    Aug 22, 2008
    This film is a classic. Rock brilliance from earths mightiest band!
  58. R.H.
    Nov 25, 2006
    Kind of a prequel to the HBO series....in fact, that's what it surprisingly is (despite a continuity error with Lee's first appearance), so I'll forgive the lack of including their "later" material, which many of us have heard before. The script has some belly laughs, but it could have been much stronger, and ultimately a little disappointing for fans of the television Kind of a prequel to the HBO series....in fact, that's what it surprisingly is (despite a continuity error with Lee's first appearance), so I'll forgive the lack of including their "later" material, which many of us have heard before. The script has some belly laughs, but it could have been much stronger, and ultimately a little disappointing for fans of the television series. Not a bad comedy by any means, but it certainly had the potential for greatness. Perhaps they can edit the three half hour HBO episodes into a proper sequel? Expand
  59. JamieP.
    Nov 27, 2006
    I went into the movie with serious expectations of being entertained by Jack Black. It didn't work. Bad script and bad acting.
  60. LauraB.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Lame, lame, lame. Don't bother. I walked out.
  61. BobShouldice
    Nov 27, 2006
    My 13 year old could write better material than this drivel. Very disappointing.
  62. ElizabethP.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Tenacious D is destined to be a bad movie disaster. There was not one LOL in the movie theater. Blows big time.
  63. Dec 9, 2013
    Though some would argue them to be a Novelty duo, my opinion lies in saying that they make excellent Metal that just so happens to have hilarious lyrics. This highly underrated classic takes you through a journey of mixing classic metal with new elements featuring Meat Loaf, Ronnie James Dio, and Dave Grohl in their musical pieces. Ben Stiller and John C Reily also make appearances asThough some would argue them to be a Novelty duo, my opinion lies in saying that they make excellent Metal that just so happens to have hilarious lyrics. This highly underrated classic takes you through a journey of mixing classic metal with new elements featuring Meat Loaf, Ronnie James Dio, and Dave Grohl in their musical pieces. Ben Stiller and John C Reily also make appearances as actors in comical moments. This Movie is a must see for anybody with a great sense of humor and love for metal! Expand
  64. Feb 18, 2014
    It's pretty crude humor but it's awesome rock and roll and just some pure entertaining stuff which is what it all comes down to. Jack Black has always been my favorite actor and combine that with Rock and Roll and it's pure genius.
  65. Dec 11, 2014
    I first watched this when I was quite young and it was the first R rated movie I had seen, I love it. Watching it now I can say that I get more of the jokes now and it's still very funny.
  66. Oct 21, 2014
    This is not the greatest review in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

This is one of my favourite movies ever. Anyone who gives this less than a 8/10 is just a humourless donkey and needs to go back to watching Eastenders.
    There is constant comedy and creates non-stop laughter. I've watched this about 100 times and not once failed to laugh at the same things over and over.

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Not surprisingly, the pic struggles at times to flesh out even its relatively brief 90-odd-minute duration, but it delivers some genuine if generally low-brow laughs along the way.
  2. Reviewed by: Simon Crook
    For fans, a crowd-surf over Tenacious D’s best bits. For the unbaptised, a novelty movie of a novelty band, big on spirit but in search of a script.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Sticks to formula but delivers some seriously dumb laughs.