6.0

1. JohnC
    May 25, 2009
    First, if robots in the future have become so self aware as to try to destroy their creators, then they should probably have invented a better technology than USB. CHRISTIAN BALE HACKED A WRECKED TERMINATOR BY PLUGGING IN HIS LITTLE I PHONE INTO A USB 2.0 PORT. Second, the words decrypt and override would have had to have been programmed by the programmer or skynet to "over ride" and First, if robots in the future have become so self aware as to try to destroy their creators, then they should probably have invented a better technology than USB. CHRISTIAN BALE HACKED A WRECKED TERMINATOR BY PLUGGING IN HIS LITTLE I PHONE INTO A USB 2.0 PORT. Second, the words decrypt and override would have had to have been programmed by the programmer or skynet to "over ride" and "decrypt". Simply typing in these commands DO NOT decrypt or override whatever is trying to be overridden. NO SELF AWARE MACHINE WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO HAVE THAT SUBROUTINE PROGRAMMED IN THERE!!!. And these are just some of the qualms I had with the film. From plot holes to poor character development and simply "yeah right" moments, the film falls flat of its former "tongue in cheek" vibe. T1 and T2 were great films, not only because of their stories, but because they didn't take themselves too seriously. The message in the first one lined up cyberdyne systems to protect humanity from any threat, and the message what that while humanity exists, they are in essence, threats to themselves, and therefore must be eliminated. In this film, robots have been relinquished to the evil plotting of taking over the world. In all, while I was mildly entertained, the film did not meet my expectations. Expand
  2. Sep 18, 2011
    MacG's "Terminator: Salvation" doesn't offer anything new; just story and action revolving around wars and battles, In the end, the movie is just a CGI bridge in the Terminator series.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    Apparently, Christian Bale hasn't been told he's one of the great actors of his time. I'm sure if he had been, he wouldn't be wasting his time and energy with this incoherent swill.
  4. SC
    Dec 8, 2009
    Really shows the difference between a good director(cameron,jackson)and a shit one(bay,mcg).The Terminators dont really terminate much at all.Where is the fear and scrambling action from the first movie?And the heart transplant???Luckily there seemed to be a nearby heart surgeon who can do a transplant in the desert with a butter knife and crossed fingers.LOLOLOL.I could crap on for hours Really shows the difference between a good director(cameron,jackson)and a shit one(bay,mcg).The Terminators dont really terminate much at all.Where is the fear and scrambling action from the first movie?And the heart transplant???Luckily there seemed to be a nearby heart surgeon who can do a transplant in the desert with a butter knife and crossed fingers.LOLOLOL.I could crap on for hours but this movie gets a 6 for being shiny. Expand
  5. JaniS
    Jan 2, 2010
    The special effects are amazing, acting is amazing but the plot and the story is very poor. Clichés after clichés killed this movie for me.
  6. Feb 8, 2011
    Everything about this movie is average. Acting, story, cinematography, sound... actual the special effects are mostly good, but still. This movie is nowhere close to the caliber of the original terminator movies. It has its flashy and cool moments but in the end feels shallow and mostly forgettable. The governators cameo was amusing. Overall it's better than alot of whats in the theatersEverything about this movie is average. Acting, story, cinematography, sound... actual the special effects are mostly good, but still. This movie is nowhere close to the caliber of the original terminator movies. It has its flashy and cool moments but in the end feels shallow and mostly forgettable. The governators cameo was amusing. Overall it's better than alot of whats in the theaters these days, but don't go out of your way to see it Expand
  7. Jun 7, 2012
    Terminator Salvation promised to finally let us loose in the nightmarish dystopian future we've only seen glimpses of so far in the series. Yes, the entire film is set after the machines have risen up and destroyed the vast majority of human civilisation, but does this make for a tense and exciting film? No, not really. In all the other installments (including the underwhelming TerminatorTerminator Salvation promised to finally let us loose in the nightmarish dystopian future we've only seen glimpses of so far in the series. Yes, the entire film is set after the machines have risen up and destroyed the vast majority of human civilisation, but does this make for a tense and exciting film? No, not really. In all the other installments (including the underwhelming Terminator 3) you have the constant sense of jeopardy, that judgement day is coming, and that made for some brilliant tension. In Salvation, however, all that doom has already occurred, and all that remains is the gloom. The storytelling is pedestrian, McG's action direction is competent but uninspiring, the new models of terminator we see look like rejected designs from the Transformers art department and most of the actors look like they're in it for the money alone. Christian Bale shouts and Batman growls his way through the film playing an older John Connor, Bryce Dallas Howard is wooden as John's pregnant wife Kate, Moon Bloodgood's pilot is just the typical warrior woman with truly ridiculous tousled hair and Michael Ironside really stretches himself playing yet another stern military leader. At least Anton Yelchin is decent as a young Kyle Reese and Helena Bonham Carter is good as always when she's briefly on screen as a terminally ill Cyberdyne scientist whose actions instigate many of the film's key events. The real highlight of the film, though, is Sam Worthington - his character Marcus is an incredibly tortured soul, and a fascinating tribute to numerous icons of film and literature - everyone from Frankenstein's Monster to Jason Bourne is in there somewhere. He makes for an utterly compelling protagonist in the hands of Worthington who manages to make Marcus tough and gruff, but also incredibly sympathetic. It does annoy me that the original idea for the film had Marcus as the central character, until Christian Bale was cast as John Connor, prompting the script to be re-written to focus on him instead. The original film concept would have certainly resulted in a more satisfying final product, as though John Connor is undeniably at the centre of the Terminator saga, he's not a particularly interesting character in himself. Aside from showing Sam Worthington at his very best, and having quite an entertaining finale that has some crowd-pleasing callbacks to earlier Terminator installments, Salvation offers very little apart from grey visuals, moody pessimism and a predictable plot. You only have to re-watch James Cameron's masterful first two installments, and even the flawed third film in the series (which still offered the odd thrill and plentiful camp humour) to see how much the glowing cybernetic eye has dulled over the years. Perhaps it's because of the absence of Mr Schwarzenegger, perhaps it's because there's no time travel, or that all the interesting stuff has already happened by the time film begins, or maybe it's because Christian Bale threw a tantrum and McG has very limited talent. Whatever the reason, Terminator Salvation is a rather dull film, which is almost worse than being a bad one. Is this the death of the Terminator franchise? I almost hope so. Expand
  8. Jul 23, 2011
    Continuing to spread ever-thinly the narrative of it's progenitors, this Terminator sequel is an enjoyable couple of hours that nonetheless falls apart if you even dare to engage your brain for more than a fraction of a second. It would've been more interesting to have the story disregard John Connor and focus solely on the Marcus character; the machine-in-search-of-humanity thematic isContinuing to spread ever-thinly the narrative of it's progenitors, this Terminator sequel is an enjoyable couple of hours that nonetheless falls apart if you even dare to engage your brain for more than a fraction of a second. It would've been more interesting to have the story disregard John Connor and focus solely on the Marcus character; the machine-in-search-of-humanity thematic is one of my favourites in Science Fiction literature, the film manages to keep this concept interesting for about 10 minutes, then it degenerates quickly into typical action fare, Expand
  9. Sep 28, 2011
    I thought it was... okay. Felt like an average summer blockbuster, which is exactly what all the reviews prepared me for. McG is definitely no James Cameron, as if we needed further evidence.

The second half is quite a bit of an improvement over the first half, which felt very limp. A lot of that's the fault of the editing, which is pretty choppy and not... good. I mean, maybe this is nostalgia talking, but you look at Cameron's Terminator, Aliens, T2... (not gonna talk about Titanic cause I don't remember it much) and his storytelling is very natural, it all just flows from one scene to another. The edits are smooth and logically guide you through the plot.

The editing in this film felt like the studio was mandating something close to 2 hours or something. Lots of scenes that just end and you're immediately jerked into another.

And I just remembered that there's this great line Kate Connor gives in some of the trailers, something close to "If you saved us all in another future, you can save us in this one." I always really loved that line, it felt poetic and dramatic and was delivered well. But uh... I don't think it's in the film at all. Must've gotten cut, along with a lot of other things. She didn't say much of anything, I don't think. And she was pregnant, but they don't mention that at all.

And oh yea, it definitely feels like a PG-13 film. One scene in particular has this guy trying to crawl out of a giant pen, where a T-600 immediately guns him down with a giant arm-mounted gatling gun. Except we don't see him get shot at all, it's a complete cutaway. We see a shot of the T-600 tracking him, hear some gunshots, and see him slumping and falling. It's just pathetic.

The T-600s in this film must've gone to the stormtrooper school of shooting, because it's almost comical how lousy they are. Instead of squads of stormtroopers missing with sporadic firing though, you've just got one T-600 walking menacingly while firing his huge gatling, completely spraying everything but the side of the barn, it seems. It's a nitpick I suppose, but you'd think SkyNET would arm them all with smaller guns if their gatlings meant their aiming accuracy effectively went to nil.

Oh, and Danny Elfman apparently just took the gig for a paycheck. Because his score is terrible. At some random points, you'll hear the classic Terminator score, but it's much too little. Elfman's own work is completely forgettable. I was hoping they were going to just play the classic Terminator score for the credits, but no dice.

Acting's pretty much just competent. The standout's probably young Kyle Reese, who also played Chekov in Star Trek. While his Chekov wasn't to my liking, here he's channeling some serious Michael Biehn, and it was very impressive.

Okay, let's talk visuals... the CGI in two scenes were pretty awful. First one's Marcus falling from the Transport and skipping across the river. Lots of laughter from my audience, because the CGI of his body skipping was just so fake looking and ridiculous. And of course, the second one's my Governator and yours, Arnold. Uh... it was kinda maybe sorta convincing, if you squinted your eyes a lot? Maybe if you'd been crying and your vision was all blurry from the tears? I dunno... I suppose it's the best we can do with state of the art CGI these days. But it still looked very unconvincing. And of course, you've gotta wonder why SkyNET just stuck the T-800 in that cell without a gun to shoot Connor. That would've saved a lot of chasing and punching and clawing, right? Meh... the script may have been looked at by Jonah Nolan at some point in time, but it doesn't seem like a Nolan script. Not by a long shot.

So yea, right now... it's way below the brilliance of T1 and T2. Not sure about T3, it's been a while since I've watched it. Better then or equal to, I suppose? Somewhere in there.
  10. Mar 18, 2013
    Due to its very nature, in making a film of the post nuclear war against machines between the Resistance and Skynet, director McG was already onto a hiding to nothing. James Cameron's films featured an occasional shot of the war but were always based around a single Terminator relentlessly pursuing its targets as part of an intelligent time travel plan. By focusing on the war, what madeDue to its very nature, in making a film of the post nuclear war against machines between the Resistance and Skynet, director McG was already onto a hiding to nothing. James Cameron's films featured an occasional shot of the war but were always based around a single Terminator relentlessly pursuing its targets as part of an intelligent time travel plan. By focusing on the war, what made the previous films successful is lost. Connor and Reese fight against motorbike terminators, hunter-killer planes, aerobots and giant terminator robots, proving successful against them all. To say the tension is missing would be an understatement. Bale does his deep Batman voice thing, less forgiving here, and in places the script suffers from cheese overload in places, none more so than Connor stealing (or a lazy tribute to) Arnie's seminal line, 'I'll be back'. This was almost too much to take. Yelchin is also given some equally cheesy lines that seem out of kilter with his character's previously strong willed and determined nature.

Visually, McG does deliver some decent looking action scenes but the film doesn't have the charm of the originals. Salvation is an overblown, sledgehammer approach to the series, and as a standalone action film it would be average but as an entry into the Terminator franchise it is a weak one and one that does not need repeating.
  11. Mar 8, 2014
    It does not have enough character development, but it offers us plenty of exciting action. The first half was dull at times and disappointing, but the second was an improvement. What it needs is more emotional scenes between characters.
  12. Feb 5, 2013
    Good looking and boosted by kinetic action, but the script is life-threatening stupid. Any machine with such a muddled, non-functional master-plan has to fail against even a completely unorganised human race. Characters are underdeveloped and the dialogue is barely okay. Christian Bale roars more than he speaks, which becomes quite annoying after some time. But as you expect it fromGood looking and boosted by kinetic action, but the script is life-threatening stupid. Any machine with such a muddled, non-functional master-plan has to fail against even a completely unorganised human race. Characters are underdeveloped and the dialogue is barely okay. Christian Bale roars more than he speaks, which becomes quite annoying after some time. But as you expect it from director McG, the untalented cousin of Michael Bay, this is flashy, stupid fun. Expand
  13. FrankV
    May 28, 2009
    Where's the plot? It seems to have disappeared about halfway through the movie. McG (pretentious a**h*le;who would call himself that to being with w/o a big ego?) creates an incoherent mess. What happened to the secret weapon that 'turns off' the machines? Why does SkyNet HQ look like some dirty steel factory? And why do those stacks belch fire? Pretty hokey--it makes no Where's the plot? It seems to have disappeared about halfway through the movie. McG (pretentious a**h*le;who would call himself that to being with w/o a big ego?) creates an incoherent mess. What happened to the secret weapon that 'turns off' the machines? Why does SkyNet HQ look like some dirty steel factory? And why do those stacks belch fire? Pretty hokey--it makes no sense except for some dumb special effects. Why are all those people herded? It isn't really developed. John Connor comes across ans mean and surly--not really a prophet or visionary--something else McG fails to develop. I miss 'Ahnold' as the Terminator. At least those last two movies (T1is by far the best) had a sense of not taking itself too seriously. This movie just feels kind of depressing. No need to do a sequel. Expand
  14. KirkC
    Jun 8, 2009
    It was nice to see a squel coming. Until the movie started and the screen title became the coolest part. I heard the movie was rewritten a few times, to give it more character and... dumbness. You can see the terminators has stunt men in them. The movie feels empty half the time. Special effects where generally good, more towards the end and in the scenes in the middle of the movie. Just It was nice to see a squel coming. Until the movie started and the screen title became the coolest part. I heard the movie was rewritten a few times, to give it more character and... dumbness. You can see the terminators has stunt men in them. The movie feels empty half the time. Special effects where generally good, more towards the end and in the scenes in the middle of the movie. Just watch the movie and see. Expand
  15. Vinayu
    Jul 6, 2009
    Action in this 4th edition is understandingly(since its 2009 now) way better than all editions.however i felt thats where director McG messed up.The action element was highlighted to the extent of ignoring the human element.Script witing was horrible.Even I could have written better!It restricted lead actor Christian Bale's acting skills.When we talk about a war between mankind and Action in this 4th edition is understandingly(since its 2009 now) way better than all editions.however i felt thats where director McG messed up.The action element was highlighted to the extent of ignoring the human element.Script witing was horrible.Even I could have written better!It restricted lead actor Christian Bale's acting skills.When we talk about a war between mankind and machines,thats where spine tingling speeches and dialouges where required from human resistance leader John Connor.The Terminator franchise has a beautiful and ingeniously well thought storyline.Hence handling of that requires good handling with responsibility.not cold computer generated high quality graphics.A well worked dramatic angle was missing.Otherwise(as its said in the film itself)..'What would be the difference between us and the machines?' Expand
  16. SteveF
    Dec 6, 2009
    I didn't find this movie very exciting at all. Besides a couple of good robot special effects it was quite boring. Transformers 2 even had more substance.
  17. EricF
    May 25, 2009
    Fairly predictable, some nice background story to the Terminator original, although we knew pretty much what was going to happen. Sets up future sequels nicely though, which have the potential to be more interesting from a character and plot development standpoint.
  18. GeorgeM
    May 26, 2009
    Well, Salvation is here and depending on what you're looking for...whether it be "Summer Popcorn Movie" or a "Worthy Terminator Sequel", there is every chance of walking away dissapointed. The opening is silly, whats in between is hit or miss drama and expensive action sequences, and the ending is rather lousy. This just dosen't feel like a proper Terminator sequel...and while Well, Salvation is here and depending on what you're looking for...whether it be "Summer Popcorn Movie" or a "Worthy Terminator Sequel", there is every chance of walking away dissapointed. The opening is silly, whats in between is hit or miss drama and expensive action sequences, and the ending is rather lousy. This just dosen't feel like a proper Terminator sequel...and while its expensive...it still feels "cheap", like an incredibily expensive Sci-Fi Channel movie. The "War" against humans and machines is in full force, and John Connor is merely a voice in the background, not the leader he's destined to become as he's yet to convince everyone of what he knows is coming. So while he's figuring out his issues regarding the location of his father, Kyle Reese, we have the new guy Marcus (Sam Worthington) waking up in this bleak future with no memory of whats happened over the last 15 years...even though its rather obvious the reasons behind this, given the opening. So what we have is Marcus helping Kyle then when the crap hits the fan, Marcus helping John Connor...essentially, this is Marcus's movie in a lot of ways. Without going in to detail, the movie is just chock full of moments that make little sense, and trying to make sense of the nonsense in this movie will just give you a headache. There are things that just DO NOT work in the movie and they make it obvious that it dosen't work, and when this happens it comes off as an insult to my intelligence, and when something as beloved as the Terminator series does this not once, but twice (T3) given the already complex nature of the "timeline"...its a problem. Casting-wise, Christian Bale as John Connor is a fine choice, but gone is the personality of T2 and T3, no wisecracking...no jokes...in fact...no personality at all, the guy is as interesting as a houseplant at this point...just yelling his thoughts and looking intense all the time. Sam Worthington as Marcus, VERY bland...and how this guy is the "next best thing" in Hollywood is beyond me, Bryce Dallas Howard does nothing worth mentioning...and Anton Yelchin barely skates by as Kyle Reese. As far as action goes, it delivers...its big, loud, and glitzy and the bullets and metal fly. The Terminators look great...the older models wearing the scraggily clothes, the building-size Hunter Gatherer with detachable "Motorcycle" Terminators to scoop up those pesky humans, or the introduction of the model we know and love (with a special FX-ladened cameo)...all the props and bots look great. I don't know, I left the theater with the feeling that I choked down a tall glass of flat Coke...it was sweet, but did nothing for me. The mood of this film is closer to Terminator 1 than any other...very bleak and humorless, but thats where ALL similarities end and it becomes the poorly put together movie that it is. It's not terrible and its a good fix for those craving some summer action...but its place in the Terminator series rests behind that of the other average flick, T3. So this one comes off as AVERAGE. Expand
  19. ceejay
    May 26, 2009
    Opening credits would have been impressive 10 years ago. First action sequence IS AWESOME, and then the movie goes downhill, made lame by IRONY-deficiency and HORRIBLE DIALOGUE. The action becomes irrelevant. Bale, Yelchin, Howard, Bloodgood and Worthington are great but this won't help their reputations much. Is it true that any screen time is good screen time?
  20. chrisj
    May 30, 2009
    This movie reminds me of water world. better special effects, but I didn't care if the robots beat the humans or not.
  21. David
    Jun 19, 2009
    A big disappointment I'm afraid. This is marginally superior to the abominable T3, but only *marginally*. In other words, this film is disappointingly average. Bale and Worthington are under utilised. Pacing/continuity is off and decidedly strange. Dialogue is just plain groan inducing. There are also too many logic irregularities / blatantly non-sensical actions/happenings. The A big disappointment I'm afraid. This is marginally superior to the abominable T3, but only *marginally*. In other words, this film is disappointingly average. Bale and Worthington are under utilised. Pacing/continuity is off and decidedly strange. Dialogue is just plain groan inducing. There are also too many logic irregularities / blatantly non-sensical actions/happenings. The action sequences do not save the film. Expand
  22. peters
    Aug 14, 2009
    I give this movie a 9 for special effects and a 1 for plot, averaging to 5. The plot makes no sense. Where did the new "cyborg" come from years after his first "death"? Were his organs in a deep freeze? The movie implies that the Arnold model was just developed, but one would think that the cyborg is a higher level of technology, so why was he first? When the cyborg first appears, he is I give this movie a 9 for special effects and a 1 for plot, averaging to 5. The plot makes no sense. Where did the new "cyborg" come from years after his first "death"? Were his organs in a deep freeze? The movie implies that the Arnold model was just developed, but one would think that the cyborg is a higher level of technology, so why was he first? When the cyborg first appears, he is naked and doesn't know what year it is, so I assumed he had just used the time machine and was on a mission. Not true. Yes, he had a program to return to mama, but that's not really a mission with a purpose. Lame. Even the ending is stupid. If the resistance soldiers accepted the cyborg as a human, they would not have allowed him to donate his heart, thereby committing suicide. It would have been more plausible if he were damaged beyond repair and then told them to use his heart. Expand
  23. SylvainR
    Aug 21, 2009
    Very weak scenario, bad acting by Bale, frankly, the Terminator saga is not the same when Cameron is not behind the camera.
  24. Marc
    Aug 31, 2009
    The most underwhelming 'epic' movie of the last decade, woefully lacking in character development and soul. The script was basically non existant, the characters had no depth whatsoever. Why did they have such trust in a Terminator what based on one good dead. Come on, the action was pretty good but the sound design was better than the action itself. I never expected to come out The most underwhelming 'epic' movie of the last decade, woefully lacking in character development and soul. The script was basically non existant, the characters had no depth whatsoever. Why did they have such trust in a Terminator what based on one good dead. Come on, the action was pretty good but the sound design was better than the action itself. I never expected to come out of a Terminator film and feel nothing,but I did and its a real shame cos the first two especially are still brilliant examples of how Sci0fi should be done. And after his performance in this i am starting to think Bale is a little over rated as an actor, this was basically one note from start to finish. Dallas-Howard just stood around and looked pensive alot and well the rest were paper thin Terminator targets. Most importantly whereas in the first two you had the iconic T-800 (aka Arnie) here we have a bad CGI likeness of Arnie in the last act, which is both unessasary and appeard the filmakers are desperate fo fans approval. Expand
  25. JamesH.
    May 15, 2010
    It has the makings of a worthy entry in the Terminator series, but it only partially succeeds. The special effects are great, it is impressive technically, good sound, cinematography etc. It lacks the the depth and character development though of it
  26. IlariY
    Dec 1, 2009
    As a huge fan of the first and second Terminator, I'm sad watching where this series has gone. Sure the special effects are great, and I liked seeing T-600 models (and Arnie of course for 2 seconds), but the story was really weak. I just don't think this series works without Schwarzenegger. Take out Jack Sparrow from Pirates, and it would be the same thing.
  27. E.C.
    May 21, 2009
    Poorly made movie overall. for a movie about heart and the human spirit, it lacks both. poor story and character development, as well as sub-standard acting. some nice action, and sure, it was cool to see terminators in the theater again. unfortunately this movie struggled at every turn to shamelessly connect itself with the previous 3 terminators, while at the same time, completelyPoorly made movie overall. for a movie about heart and the human spirit, it lacks both. poor story and character development, as well as sub-standard acting. some nice action, and sure, it was cool to see terminators in the theater again. unfortunately this movie struggled at every turn to shamelessly connect itself with the previous 3 terminators, while at the same time, completely disregarding them. also, special effects were a mixed bag, most times phenomenal, at other points laughable. don't bother. Expand
  28. KenS.
    May 21, 2009
    The movie is entertaining (yay for over using cgi), but pretty much pointless. Now we get to wait another few years for another terminator movie to be made and again leave us hanging. It's been over 2 decades, finish the series already!
  29. Brianm.
    May 22, 2009
    Makes the Apocalypse seem not so bad, but a bit boring.
  30. JoeStass
    May 22, 2009
    Nice action and great effects, but too many moments that left me going "What?" due to plot holes or useless plot devices or just plain dumb occurrences. Rent if you like the series. Skip otherwise.
  31. ChadS.
    May 22, 2009
    The little girl is a mute. That was Christian Bale's idea. That's not true, of course, but it's conjecture without implausibility. When he orders the girl to "move, now" in the middle of yet another tired action set piece, the Internet sensation from earlier this year incidentally breaks the fourth wall, as in the little girl should "MOVE, NOW" or else suffer the wrath of a The little girl is a mute. That was Christian Bale's idea. That's not true, of course, but it's conjecture without implausibility. When he orders the girl to "move, now" in the middle of yet another tired action set piece, the Internet sensation from earlier this year incidentally breaks the fourth wall, as in the little girl should "MOVE, NOW" or else suffer the wrath of a temperamental actor who doesn't like his scenes trashed. W.C. Fields once said, "Never work with animals or children," and that "children...should neither be seen nor heard from," because a cute child can be a scene-stealer. In "Terminator: Salvation", a compromise in which the girl keeps her trap shut only around John Connor(Bale) might have helped this mirthless film immeasurably. Neutralized by a bevy of underwritten characters, "Terminator: Salvation" couldn't really afford to have anybody play it mum. [***SELF-POLICING SPOILER ALERT***] So when it's time to hand John Connor the remote to blow-up Skynet, for the sake of a star's ego, by all means, say nothing, and let the megalomaniac have his kismet without some moppet stealing the actor's thunder. But in the interim before she encounters the key to mankind's survival, a precocious, or unflappable, or even a foul-mouthed lass might have loosened up Kyle(Anton Yelchin), and especially Marcus(Sam Worthington plays the man-machine with less charisma then any member of electronic music pioneers Kraftwerk: "We are the Robots", indeed), who between them make the journey to meet up with the resistance seem less epic than Sarah Connor would have imagined it to be. Expand
  32. LiefSpringer
    May 22, 2009
    The movie gets a 5 because it was as average as it could possibly be. Spoiler Allert- The machines capture John Connors father Cyle and John gets him back at the end. As a huge fan of the first 2 movies, I was entertained by the little references they threw in there from those movies, but other than that nostalgia, this pg13 hollywood love fest never quite seemed like a terminator movie to me.
  33. JustinG.
    May 23, 2009
    Lackluster. T units were scarier in the 1980's original.
  34. PeterB.
    May 23, 2009
    Have to agree with the earlier statements. If a terminator got within 5 feet of you, you would be dead, not thrown across the room 10 times.
  35. BradA.
    May 23, 2009
    I can't believe all the idiots giving this movie good reviews. I am a critical person but even my easily amused friends thought it was total crap. So many giant plot holes I lost count and the most idiotic ending I've seen in years. WTF? How can anyone be so stupid as to call this movie good? I mean, sure I was with it for a while - the tone is pretty good, the action isn't I can't believe all the idiots giving this movie good reviews. I am a critical person but even my easily amused friends thought it was total crap. So many giant plot holes I lost count and the most idiotic ending I've seen in years. WTF? How can anyone be so stupid as to call this movie good? I mean, sure I was with it for a while - the tone is pretty good, the action isn't bad and I liked a couple of the characters - but it just got stupider and stupider as it went along, eventually reaching a point where it just collapsed under the weight of the horrible, lazy writing. SPOILER - SPOILER - SPOILER - SPOILER - SPOILER QUESTION: The Terminators had Kyle Reese in captivity. They had the opportunity to kill him many times and didn't despite the fact that he was #1 on their hit list. Why? When the machine grabs him out of the cattle pen, why doesn't it just snap his neck? Boom, war over. No more Kyle Reese = no more John Connor. But instead they put him in a cell and leave him alive to use as bait for JC? Why? Even if Killing him hadn't reset things, they didn't actually need to keep him alive in order to lure Connor. Connor and Marcus wouldn't have any way to know that he was dead, so they would have tried for the rescue anyway. So, again, why did the Machines keep kyle alive when they could have easily killed him? ANSWER: Because this movie is supremely stupid and full of lazy writing. This is but one example out of many. Oh, and a heart transplant in a makeshift tent in the middle of a nuclear wasteland? So idiotic it boggles my mind. Expand
  36. RobertU.
    May 23, 2009
    Big disappointment, after batman I was expecting big things from bale who is not bad... the movie is just extremely cheesy... expected a great story and better direction, neither happened. Some great moments but overall a let down.
  37. DanJ.
    May 24, 2009
    What a joke! Terrible movie and by the way, John Connor wasn't even the center of the movie, Marcus was!
  38. HyperS.
    May 24, 2009
    Unfortunately just a standard run-of-the-mill post-apocalyptic movie. All the special effects were pretty bleh from the robots to the weapons to the seemingly ordinary and small in scope locales. The story was also pretty contrived and filled with just enough plot holes to assist the director in turning John Conner into apparently a stealth ninja/Rambo hybrid for the "Grand Finale," which Unfortunately just a standard run-of-the-mill post-apocalyptic movie. All the special effects were pretty bleh from the robots to the weapons to the seemingly ordinary and small in scope locales. The story was also pretty contrived and filled with just enough plot holes to assist the director in turning John Conner into apparently a stealth ninja/Rambo hybrid for the "Grand Finale," which included a Skynet with a defense comparable to your local Toys'R'Us and some moronic zombie terminators that my grandma could have outrun with her walker. Ooooh, what suspense... what drama.... what mediocrity. Expand
  39. LelandG.
    May 24, 2009
    Even before the action started I was not happy with the score of the movie. And I found myself just shaking my head at a lot of the scenes. Some interesting action scene however I felt they were nothing new, just stolen from T2...
  40. aramisgjr
    May 25, 2009
    Just another summer blockbuster taking advantage of the common person's desire to blot out rationality and common sense. Not as plot hole offensive as Star Trek, but still pretty bad. I'm giving it a 6 for the visuals and violent atmosphere it creates in the first half.
  41. Sam
    Jun 19, 2009
    This is the worst terminator movie to come out to date. The story is pathetic and many of the fight sequences are painful to watch. The movie does have some cool moments in it but its difficult to say wether it's worth a watch.
  42. ArthurC.
    Jun 2, 2009
    Such a disappointment. Missed why the other Terminator films were so awesome. These are not movies about machines, but movies about humans. The effects are the only thing going for it. But they get old really fast. John Connor doesn't really seem like the hero of the future that we've seen him painted as in the other three movies. And the trailers give away the big twist that Such a disappointment. Missed why the other Terminator films were so awesome. These are not movies about machines, but movies about humans. The effects are the only thing going for it. But they get old really fast. John Connor doesn't really seem like the hero of the future that we've seen him painted as in the other three movies. And the trailers give away the big twist that certainly hurts the development of Marcus Wright. Overall, a franchise killer. Expand
  43. Penniwise
    Jun 20, 2009
    Stupid script, terrible acting, unoriginal action. Sadly, there is no salvation at all. This is as if Asylym would make a movie for 200 millions.
  44. EnzoP.
    Jun 22, 2009
    Terminator Salvation is action packed with some awesome butt kicking. But in the movie Christian Bale acts so bad and he still has is deep batman voice on. Also the plot seems like a 4th grader thought of it.
  45. Xoux
    Jun 23, 2009
    If your a fan of the terminator series then by all means watch it. if not i would skip it. if you thought rise of the machines was horrible. then this one would change your mind. who gave the idea that christian bale is a good choice for john conner. the good thing about this film is the CGI and cinematography that keeps you watching. otherwise skip it. christian bale is horrible, the If your a fan of the terminator series then by all means watch it. if not i would skip it. if you thought rise of the machines was horrible. then this one would change your mind. who gave the idea that christian bale is a good choice for john conner. the good thing about this film is the CGI and cinematography that keeps you watching. otherwise skip it. christian bale is horrible, the story is horrible, and keep no connections whatsoever to the original series except the robots taking over the world. Expand
  46. HollyR
    Jun 30, 2009
    I am a huge fan of the Terminator movies, and even the series with Summer Glau that is supposedly not coming back. . .however, this movie is poor. John Conner is flat and uninteresting. There is little relationship development and therefore a boring story line. I didn't even think THIS particular John Conner deserved to live that's how bad it was (don't want to give away I am a huge fan of the Terminator movies, and even the series with Summer Glau that is supposedly not coming back. . .however, this movie is poor. John Conner is flat and uninteresting. There is little relationship development and therefore a boring story line. I didn't even think THIS particular John Conner deserved to live that's how bad it was (don't want to give away the ending)! However, if you don't care about the story and just want action, there is lots of it. Expand
  47. MattG
    Jun 6, 2009
    Bad. Really boring. The whole thing seems to take place in a darkened factory of one kind or another, and virtually no new terminators are introduced. Really confusing plot, and no real memorable scenes. Just bad.
  48. jasong
    Jun 8, 2009
    Why do movie companys keep making 12 rated movies to get a large audience while neglecting the older audience which went to see the older movies in the first place terminator salvation is instantly forgetable its not a patch on 1 or two,christian bale hams it up as there is no script to work on hopefully this is last in the fanchise this film is rubbish.
  49. SteveG
    Jul 11, 2009
    Not a patch on the first or second movies. Probably better than the 3rd but why was it a 12a - no violence, no blood or swearing - come on guys I know you want to pull in more of an audience but you've ruined the whole point of the Terminator franchise - its supposed to be sweary and violent they are Terminators after all.
  50. ChrisC.
    Jul 1, 2009
    This movie is definitely worth the viewing, despite the critic's pan. Well, that's true if you like sci-fi action anyway. Christian Bale is intense, and the cinematography is nice, despite Bale hating the guy. It had a lot of what I was expecting in its portrayal of the terminator future, which is a good thing. The machine capturing people in its back was definitely reminiscent This movie is definitely worth the viewing, despite the critic's pan. Well, that's true if you like sci-fi action anyway. Christian Bale is intense, and the cinematography is nice, despite Bale hating the guy. It had a lot of what I was expecting in its portrayal of the terminator future, which is a good thing. The machine capturing people in its back was definitely reminiscent of its counterpart in the new War of the Worlds, but overall, a pretty inventive flick. So if your into sci-fi action, the action part in that is key, don't miss it. Expand
  51. MiKE
    Dec 6, 2009
    It has its cheesy moments that make you like the movie. Overall the worst terminator series.
  52. GrahamS.
    May 22, 2009
    Much as been written about the loss of humanity in this franchise. For fans- there were few surprises, but the biggest was an inability to really care about a single character on screen. It was like nascar- fast and loud- Cameron's t2 resonated with so much depth of character it made this reasonable addition seem bland and humourless- much like the future depicted here. I'm not Much as been written about the loss of humanity in this franchise. For fans- there were few surprises, but the biggest was an inability to really care about a single character on screen. It was like nascar- fast and loud- Cameron's t2 resonated with so much depth of character it made this reasonable addition seem bland and humourless- much like the future depicted here. I'm not sure I want another terminator- the story was okay- execution generally speaking was okay- but it just seemed empty at all the wrong times. Expand
  53. VilhelmB.
    May 22, 2009
    [***SPOILERS***] There were a few nice "hat tips" to the older films. There were a few double entendres which made me chuckle (Marcus Wright asks, "do you think humans deserve a second chance?" referring to his own reincarnation, and Blair Williams answers "yes", referring to humanity.) Anton Yelchin was mesmerizing as he channeled Kyle Reese perfectly. Other than that, this movie was a[***SPOILERS***] There were a few nice "hat tips" to the older films. There were a few double entendres which made me chuckle (Marcus Wright asks, "do you think humans deserve a second chance?" referring to his own reincarnation, and Blair Williams answers "yes", referring to humanity.) Anton Yelchin was mesmerizing as he channeled Kyle Reese perfectly. Other than that, this movie was a great big loud, goofy letdown (or perhaps I should say meltdown?) For starters, be prepared to forget everything you ever learned about physics, medicine, anatomy, nuclear weapons, electronics, metallurgy and critical thinking in general. This movie requires more suspension of disbelief than all three previous installments combined. (warning, spoilers head) For example... By now, everyone knows that atomic weapon detonations are accompanied by an EM pulse which fries electronics. Not in this film. When Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima, the shock wave that hit the Enola Gay was enough to knock the crew off their feet. The plane was 15 miles away. At the end of this film, a blast which ostensibly was many times greater than Little Boy's had no effect on the helicopter that was perhaps a few thousand feet away. In reality, the helicopter would have been vaporized. As in most films, small arms never seem to run out of bullets, and the bullets themselves never seem to hit anyone who is running away in a dead straight line. In fact, the more guns there were shooting at a person, the less chance there seemed to be of them getting hit. It is never actually explained to us why the machines are collecting and warehousing humans, nor is it explained how gargantuan mechanized "people collectors" don't crush bodies in the process of snatching them off the ground at lightning fast speeds. For that matter, when you've got these 100' tall monster machines that can sneak up on your hideout in complete silence, and destroy it in a matter of seconds, what the heck do you need terminators for? The sophistication and invulnerability of the machine's larger aircraft makes you wonder why they simply don't follow the rebel planes back to their bases and annihilate them. One thing I was really hoping to find out is how the machines went from being tractors with machine guns mounted on them (like we saw in T3) to developing the fine motor abilities of humans, which they would obviously would have needed in order to construct all the sophisticated assembly lines that manufactured the terminators. We never really learn how Skynet made the jump from self-awareness in the "virtual world" to corporeal existence in the real world. Nor do we know how Skynet managed to stay online after it dropped the nuclear arsenals of the world on the centers of population. It's safe to say that the people operating and maintaining powerplants, refining oil, delivering fuel, etc, would not be doing this after the bombs went off. Then the are the anatomical absurdities. People (especially Conner) seem to be almost as indestructible as the terminators themselves. On numerous occasions he is thrown through the air dozens of feet, and struck by punches which would collapse the rib cage of ordinary humans. He crashes into equipment with enough force to crush it, yet gets back up and fights as if nothing happened. By the way, if you were a terminator, would you bother throwing your target across the room, or would you just rend him limb from limb? Don't answer that. It gets worse. This video game tries to have a heart. There is a soporific scene at the end where Conner has been wounded, and needs a heart transplant. Well, fortunately, Marcus' heart (which has been pounded, exposed to the air, and fried with a makeshift defibrillator) happens to be an exact fit, and coincidentally, Conner's wife (veterinarian turned cardio-surgeon) just happens to have all the facilities, assistants and preparations necessary to perform open-heart surgery in her al fresco hospital tent (she must have hoarded those anti-rejection drugs before the bombs went off. Conner, of course, makes a full recovery so he can live to fight another day - which he apparently will do in T5 which is all but guaranteed by the hokey end scene (and you thought they destroyed Skynet's headquarters - Ha! - they've got dozens of headquarters all over the world.) Don't expect to see any animals in this film - even the dogs mentioned in the first film. Don't expect to see any farms, or wells, or beds, or anything that suggests the surviving humans actually have to work, eat, drink & sleep to stay alive. Don't expect to see anything that even remotely explains how the resistance was able to go from huddling in filthy fall-out shelters in T1 to having access to A-10 jets, submarines, fully equipped military bases, and so on. Don't expect star power to save this mess - Michael Ironside plays the same cardboard character he does in all his sci-fi films, and Jane Alexander is totally wasted. Someone named "Common" plays the required "angry black man", and a child actor named "Jadagrace" who, much like the time-traveling terminators has appeared in Hollywood out of nowhere, plays the small child whose either underfoot, or saving the day. Apparently, single named actors are making a comeback (Madonna, take a bow.) Aside from Yelchin, Moon Bloodgood and Sam Worthington are the only two who seemed to care about actual acting in this film, and Bloodgood was the better of the two. Bale should just stick to what he knows best... portraying a growling vigilante, because he simply sucks in the hero role. I only wish I could time-travel back to before this film was made and terminate the writers, the director (McG), and most of the cast. On the bright side, we've still got time to stop judgment day... er... I mean Terminator 5 Expand
  54. rlloyd
    May 23, 2009
    He represents everything that disgusts me... Obviousness! Unoriginal, macho energy! Yeah, a Barfly quote pretty much somes it up. Where do you start with this mess? The casting, the dialogue, the music, the huge leaps in logic already mentioned by Vilhelm B (well done, btw) or just the extreme disappointment in what "could have been"? Let's start with the casting. Imagine the movie He represents everything that disgusts me... Obviousness! Unoriginal, macho energy! Yeah, a Barfly quote pretty much somes it up. Where do you start with this mess? The casting, the dialogue, the music, the huge leaps in logic already mentioned by Vilhelm B (well done, btw) or just the extreme disappointment in what "could have been"? Let's start with the casting. Imagine the movie without the mute girl, or better yet, what was the point of her character? To add an "aww cute" factor? To remind the survivors that they have something to fight for? To bluntly tell the audience that humanity still exists in this apocalyptic world? Cute mute is a cheap plot device at best, an anchor around the movies' neck at worst. Again, imagine how this movie flows better without her character. Also, if McG fought so hard to get Christain Bale, then why not do that for the rest of the cast. Michael Ironside as one of the "tough talking" resistance leaders? Really, wow, never seen Ironside in that role before. Not Starship Troopers, Not V; Ironside has played the "tough" resistance leader ad nauseum. How about if you need a silent and hard black man? I know, GET A RAPPER!!! McG and the makers of Terminator could have worked harder on casting, instead they went for cheap easy cardboard cutouts. Maybe the thought was that with all the explosions and robots, no one would notice. You do notice the great action movies when they go the extra mile in this regard. We ALL remember Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen in Aliens (speaking of which, note how "cute girl" was brilliantly used in this movie). How about Tina Turner in Mad Max Beyond Thunder? No one saw that coming and it made the movie. But McG and crew want to go the easy route. Nothing is more apparent than the banal dialogue. When the "I'll be back" line was used in the first Terminator, it meant something, it led to something: utter destruction. That phrase has never meant the same since. When Christian Bale uses it in Salvation, it means NOTHING. It's an obvious, and again, cheap and unnecessary way to try to tickle the audience. So obvious, it falls completely flat when he says it. The unoriginal lines don't stop there. In any movie where it's man v technology or man v the apocalypse/black hole/all hell has broken loose there is usually a question of whether or not man can keep his humanity intact. It's a given. It's kind of the UNSPOKEN point of the movie that you don't ever need to verbally remind the audience about. That is, unless your name happens to be McG and you are Captain Obvious and can't help yourself. More than once the Terminator characters have to make speeches about how human they are or need to be. "That's what separated us from the machines, we're human". Really, i would have never guessed! Being human is what the Terminator series is ALL about, we all get it by now. We build things that we can't control and can kill us, then struggle to control and overcome them. We've seen this in the Terminator series three times, we don't need the characters to verbally tell us over and over again a fourth time. But McG takes the brain eating zombie route and has to bludgeon us with speeches and overt physical cues about humanity up to the bitter end when cute mute girl compassionately holds human robot hand because, you know, THAT'S WHAT HUMANS DO. Less talking and more brooding, or maybe have one character that spouts off about humanity and is blown to bits by a terminator. McG is devoid of such irony. He just hammers away at the audience with explosions and moral statements. Nothing is more apparent in his approach than his use of music. Granted, the music is the last thing anyone should complain about in an action movie, but that's because great action movies don't usually need music and the great action movies that do use it, use it wisely. But again, McG can't help himself. Silence in desolate situations has a chilling effect. You can see feel and HEAR the loneliness of the character. Remember There Will Be Blood or the brilliant first 20 minutes of Once Upon a Time in the West? We are never allowed to be alone in Terminator Salvation. We are never allowed to experience those solitary, despondent moments. McG won't allow us to, he has to fill these moments with a Michael Baywatch type of sound. The soaring "oooh, hear the plight of my protagonist" music in these key scenes comes from a director too insecure to let well enough alone. The same director that had to remind us in print why he wouldn't screw up Terminator because everything he's touched, Sugar Ray, Charlie's Angels, the OC, has been a monumental success. Truly successful people don't remind people of their accolades. Their accolades speak for them. Similarly, a good action movie doesn't need to make a lot of hollow noise. The action will speak for itself. Expand
  55. D.C.
    May 24, 2009
    All the psychology is gone in this sequel which is strictly a war movie without much pacing. It was just one blisteringly noisy ride to nowhere. The scenes between the pilot and Marcus are cheesier than a deli. The pilot's character as post apocalyptic eye-candy was way over the top. There was no character development or tension anywhere. Watching this was like being hit on the head All the psychology is gone in this sequel which is strictly a war movie without much pacing. It was just one blisteringly noisy ride to nowhere. The scenes between the pilot and Marcus are cheesier than a deli. The pilot's character as post apocalyptic eye-candy was way over the top. There was no character development or tension anywhere. Watching this was like being hit on the head with a rubber mallet for 2 hours. Expand
  56. TrevorR
    May 25, 2009
    The computer animation was very impressive, and most of the action sequences were well done, but the plot was really weak. It was hard to follow, and it was not until 3/4 the way through the film that one is able to fully understand what is going on. McG did not strike me as the most suitable director for this type of film, and it showed. Bale as not in the film nearly as much as I The computer animation was very impressive, and most of the action sequences were well done, but the plot was really weak. It was hard to follow, and it was not until 3/4 the way through the film that one is able to fully understand what is going on. McG did not strike me as the most suitable director for this type of film, and it showed. Bale as not in the film nearly as much as I thought he would be. The film could be have been much better. Expand
  57. ZackB
    May 28, 2009
    Had potential, but missed the mark on important points. One example, if Kyle Reese is only supposed to be "a few years younger", then how old is John Connor supposed to be? 24? The best part is the T-800 sequence, by far, but... I dunno, I feel like... if the Terminators have giant flying versions of themselves, how would humanity even have survived THIS long? In a way, I would have liked Had potential, but missed the mark on important points. One example, if Kyle Reese is only supposed to be "a few years younger", then how old is John Connor supposed to be? 24? The best part is the T-800 sequence, by far, but... I dunno, I feel like... if the Terminators have giant flying versions of themselves, how would humanity even have survived THIS long? In a way, I would have liked this if it was more like Road Warrior than War of the Worlds: Terminator Edition. And maybe it's just me, but you'd think time travel would at least be mentioned, right? Expand
  58. ChrisC
    Jul 24, 2009
    Realistically this is somewhere between 4 and 5, but I cant give this a 5, so here we are. This movie was really promising for the first ~25 minutes, then it took a sharp turn and nosedove right into the ground. Please don't make another one.
  59. Venh
    Aug 28, 2009
    I actually enjoyed the film... at the time. In retrospect, it was just a rehash of the other films. Everything seemed too rushed. Characterization was bad and, when it wasn't needed, it over acted. It seemed like everything was misplaced. However, it was nice for nostalgic reasons and hopefully they'll do better on the next one. HOWEVER, at one thing that REALLY bothered me was I actually enjoyed the film... at the time. In retrospect, it was just a rehash of the other films. Everything seemed too rushed. Characterization was bad and, when it wasn't needed, it over acted. It seemed like everything was misplaced. However, it was nice for nostalgic reasons and hopefully they'll do better on the next one. HOWEVER, at one thing that REALLY bothered me was the *spoiler* needless death of marcus. It was completely unnecessary. Not only that but they killed off one of the best characters of this film. Expand
  60. ThomasV
    Sep 16, 2009
    While the script in itself was ok, it's those little things that ruined it for me... The makers misunderstand skynet completely: you can't enter skynetville with a vaio even if Marcus opened the gates.The idea of skynet luring Connor is ok (albeit biggest cliché ever), but at least do it in a believable way, so the viewer keeps thinking Connor is genuinely trying. The While the script in itself was ok, it's those little things that ruined it for me... The makers misunderstand skynet completely: you can't enter skynetville with a vaio even if Marcus opened the gates.The idea of skynet luring Connor is ok (albeit biggest cliché ever), but at least do it in a believable way, so the viewer keeps thinking Connor is genuinely trying. The T-600 ignoring the open door? Ridiculous. Basically, Skynet is an evil supercomputer that hates humans. Why the clean white cells, why doors with buttons? Why tables, keyboards and GUIs? And why isn't the T800 killing Connor outright, instead of throwing him around? Stupid. Bale's acting was bad, but it's most apparent in the scenes together with Kate, although I have to say her acting was quite numb as well. Reese, Marcus and the A10 pilot were great. Expand
  61. Apr 27, 2011
    The weakest of all the Terminator movies. Seriously, no Arnold? As for the plot, it felt like it was supposed to be for a Terminator video game, not a full-length movie. At least the movie had great action scenes and solved a plot hole from T3, the reasons why I gave this movie a passing grade of 6. But if they're gonna make a T5, they better focus on what made the first three great, andThe weakest of all the Terminator movies. Seriously, no Arnold? As for the plot, it felt like it was supposed to be for a Terminator video game, not a full-length movie. At least the movie had great action scenes and solved a plot hole from T3, the reasons why I gave this movie a passing grade of 6. But if they're gonna make a T5, they better focus on what made the first three great, and get Arnold back! Expand
  62. May 28, 2012
    A clichéd film brought down by a mediocre script riddled with plot holes. Bale unfortunately struggles in his role as John Connor, but it is somewhat elevated by the performances of Sam Worthington and Anton Yelchin. There are so many missed opportunities in this film, and while there are good CGI shots and battle sequences, the formula for these films is beginning to feel tired.
  63. Jul 16, 2012
    Not as bad as people who hate it say it is. It's actually decent. I know the story revolves around the war against the machines but at least there is some pretty good character development between John Connor (Christian Bale) and Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington) who also have pretty good performances. Bryce Dallas Howard was also perfectly cast as Kate Brewster. Besides, at least its aNot as bad as people who hate it say it is. It's actually decent. I know the story revolves around the war against the machines but at least there is some pretty good character development between John Connor (Christian Bale) and Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington) who also have pretty good performances. Bryce Dallas Howard was also perfectly cast as Kate Brewster. Besides, at least its a sequel that continues John Connor's prophecy as the leader of the resistance who defeated the Terminators in the war. It also provides solid PG-13-style entertainment. Expand
  64. Feb 2, 2012
    Sam Worthington made this film, That was the one thought I kept when I watched this film because it was true. He outshined everyone easily and this film was easily the film that sort of launched him into the spotlight. Christian Bale was solid ,as was the rest of the cast, and the action was good. Yet the plot was just too boring and wasnt interesting, It was rather tough to sit through.Sam Worthington made this film, That was the one thought I kept when I watched this film because it was true. He outshined everyone easily and this film was easily the film that sort of launched him into the spotlight. Christian Bale was solid ,as was the rest of the cast, and the action was good. Yet the plot was just too boring and wasnt interesting, It was rather tough to sit through. Its just a solid action flick imo. Expand
  65. Aug 25, 2012
    This wasn't a poor film it just didn't live up to the standards set in the first two. Still I thought it was a solid film with a fairly clever idea. I enjoyed it and would happily see a fifth one if it is ever made.
  66. Aug 3, 2012
    This film ruined the whole terminator story, Kyle Reese hadn't been sent back in time yet so Skynet wouldn't know who he was and when Skynet tells Marcus that he had killed John Conner something that Skynet had been trying to do for years well no time travel had taken placein the future yet so how would Skynet know that they'd been trying to kill him for years, apart from that it was aThis film ruined the whole terminator story, Kyle Reese hadn't been sent back in time yet so Skynet wouldn't know who he was and when Skynet tells Marcus that he had killed John Conner something that Skynet had been trying to do for years well no time travel had taken placein the future yet so how would Skynet know that they'd been trying to kill him for years, apart from that it was a good change to have it set in the future instead of basically the same storyline with the previous 3. Expand
  67. Nov 28, 2012
    Christian Bale's performance in this film surprisingly saves it from an otherwise tastelessly written film.
  68. Sep 11, 2013
    Even worse than Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines. Terminator Salvation is a stupid science fiction action movie. The first 2 movies were clever science fiction movies. Explosions go off and the directors want you to be excited, but your not because it's just Bruce Wayne meets the guy from Avatar and hits the fan. There are some scenes which will please old school Terminator fans andEven worse than Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines. Terminator Salvation is a stupid science fiction action movie. The first 2 movies were clever science fiction movies. Explosions go off and the directors want you to be excited, but your not because it's just Bruce Wayne meets the guy from Avatar and hits the fan. There are some scenes which will please old school Terminator fans and people just looking for mindless action. But there all about 30 minutes apart and are too infrequent to redeem the rest of the film. Terminator Salvation is a stupid science fiction movie with NO MEMORABLE LINES WHATSOEVER which is the exact opposite to the first two movies and overall it reminded me of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen drunk. Expand
  69. Jan 18, 2015
    Rewatched it recently on BD. And we are finally in the future where this big war between humans and machines is waging expect there is not much to see. Yeah it has action but the story is lame.
  70. Feb 8, 2014
    A quite unfortunate attempt to be a revamp of the gone franchise. Without Arnold returning they relied on a CG cameo of his muscled form as well a convoluted amount of characters and effects. Sam Worthington was the only selling point of this film.
  71. Jun 3, 2014
    A huge disappointment for Terminator fans like me. The story was week and the acting was poor (with the exception of Christian Bale). However, the action was exhilarating and the special effects were stunning but that isn't enough to balance with the movies poor story. Terminator Salvation was OK at best. It felt like a generic action movie.
  72. Jan 24, 2014
    This series has finally managed to terminate itself. Why the casting directors chose Christian Bale, I will never understand. He's basically Bruce Wayne in a post-apocalyptic world, somewhere he doesn't belong. The plot is too long and drawn out, with way too many explosions and not enough Arnold. The only redeeming quality about this film is the performance from Sam Worthington, which isThis series has finally managed to terminate itself. Why the casting directors chose Christian Bale, I will never understand. He's basically Bruce Wayne in a post-apocalyptic world, somewhere he doesn't belong. The plot is too long and drawn out, with way too many explosions and not enough Arnold. The only redeeming quality about this film is the performance from Sam Worthington, which is the only thing about this flick "worth" watching. He is the reason why this movie recieves a 4, because everything else is a rotten sandwich in a dirty toilet. Expand
  73. Apr 29, 2014
    could have been so much better, this film is watchable but nothing more, plot is weak and not enough violence that you would expect for a terminator film. and WTF were they thinking? NO ARNIE!!!!!!
  74. Jul 18, 2015
    Terminator Salvation plays more like a typical modern blockbuster than a Terminator film with its huge production values paired with one-note characters and military jargon.
  75. Dec 16, 2014
    Ehh... This movie was a mixed bag for me. It had good acting but a terrible plot. But the special effects and Christian Bale literally save this movie. Overall an OK Terminator movie but it is also unnecessary and messy. 5/10 (mediocre)
  76. Jul 13, 2015
    I think the only way to describe this movie is that its 'alright'. It's not bad, by any means, but its not very good either. Maybe only having Schwarzenegger as a cameo wasn't the best idea.

1. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Jul 4, 2015
    Director McG proves perfectly adept at blowing things up in interesting ways, but there's not so much acting here as there is yelling at different volumes.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Jul 4, 2015
    Terminator Salvation is one of the most visually impressive films in the series. The action is non-stop and the look borders on dazzling.... But ironically for a series that's supposed to be about an embattled humanity struggling against those who lack it, there isn't an emotional moment in this.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jul 4, 2015
    Terminator Salvation is a tale told idiotically, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.